PDA

View Full Version : Boca Raton, FL

sainttech
Jun 14, 2008, 08:48 PM
Town Center Mall is where the 3G iPhone will be ours? Who's going? :)

J2d3
Jun 16, 2008, 02:17 PM
I will be leaving work early around 11am and heading straight to the mall. Hopefully I will get a good spot in line.

sainttech
Jun 17, 2008, 07:58 AM
I hope it works out for you. I will have a friend of mine waiting in line for me. One for one; i hope people are not employing situations where there is one person holding a spot for multiple persons. That would be annoying. The last time was a pretty smooth transition. I believe it will be the same this year also.

firerescue0504
Jun 19, 2008, 12:34 AM
CYa guys there!!! black 16gb

JBaczanski
Jun 19, 2008, 07:34 PM
It's a toss up for me between Aventura and Boca. I'm in between both of them, but I'm wondering which one will have the shorter line. Plus I'm making plans with me co-worker to meet at one of the stores, just haven't decided where. If I choose Boca, I'll let ya'll know.

sainttech
Jun 19, 2008, 09:01 PM
I like the ambiance of Boca Mall! Less drama. I hope there are no issues with upgrading. I wonder how that will work. There is an AT&T store just a block or two away; which also helps out for rumored activation.

JBaczanski
Jun 19, 2008, 09:13 PM
I like the ambiance of Boca Mall! Less drama. I hope there are no issues with upgrading. I wonder how that will work. There is an AT&T store just a block or two away; which also helps out for rumored activation.

I've never been to Boca Mall, but Aventura is beyond crazy! I have a feeling that the activation will be just like the 1st generation iPhone, except they (Apple and AT&T employees) will do the activating for us.

Either way, I'm getting my 16GB White iPhone 3G :D

irwin1
Jun 20, 2008, 07:26 AM
Getting ready to leave for the mall... Want to be early...:rolleyes:

d wade
Jun 20, 2008, 08:17 AM
just curious... what is the point of the launch meetup? just to get the phone early? i will probly wait a day or two before i get my new one

J2d3
Jun 20, 2008, 03:43 PM
If you have ever been to a launch event, then you will know that half the fun is waiting on line, talking with friends/family and meeting new people. I had a blast waiting last year.

sainttech
Jun 20, 2008, 07:43 PM
Agreed; its a great time. The fun is in the wait.

D4F
Jun 22, 2008, 12:19 AM
I'm a bit closer to Galleria in FT. Lauderdale but might join you guys in Boca for the fun :)
What time you guys showing up btw?

J2d3
Jun 23, 2008, 03:28 PM
I have to work for a bit in the morning but then I will leave the office and head over to the mall. I think 12pm should get me a decent spot in line.:confused::cool:

irwin1
Jun 24, 2008, 10:56 AM
What time are you all planning to get on line for the opening July 11. Save me a spot.:)

JBaczanski
Jun 24, 2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, what time is everybody meeting up there? I'm taking off from work, so I can be there anytime.

bebetc
Jun 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
I will see everybody there too I am going there early !!!

J2d3
Jun 25, 2008, 10:26 AM
I heard that the phone may go on sale at 8am? If so this would pose a few questions regarding lines and the mall. Anyone have any info on the mall policy for waiting on line before/after hours.:confused:

sainttech
Jun 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
Fellas I will be there early (seriously I happen to be off on that day.....what a schedule). Knowing Apple, we will not be informed of any information until late. I will be there early with my laptop (You know its a MacBook Pro). I will post information on this post, as soon as I here anything. I took the chance and sold my 8GB iPhone for $375 2 months ago. I need this phone I am lost here.

J2d3
Jul 1, 2008, 11:33 AM
The phone goes on sale at 8am... so does that mean a camp out?

JBaczanski
Jul 1, 2008, 06:51 PM
My friend called the an Apple store today (sorry, I don't know which one) and they said that they aren't opening early and will open at 10am like usual.

There is an AT&T store right across the road from me, but what time do you all think I should show up if I decide to go there? Do you think I need to camp out or if I get there early in the morn, would that be enough?

sainttech
Jul 2, 2008, 06:52 AM
I am trying to figure out what I am going to do. Quite confused, I think the process will be slower at the AT&T store because they will be opening accounts and activating at the same time. I also think we will need to activate at some time anyways. I will respond back in a few. Just like the rest of you guys & girls; I have to think this through!!!!!:confused:

J2d3
Jul 2, 2008, 08:22 AM
Have you ever been to an AT&T store? Imagine all those new Iphone contracts, the questions, the arguments "what do you mean I can't upgrade". At the apple store it will be much faster. If they can't do the sale, then its a simple "contact AT&T". I can't imagine that the store will open at 10am....unless it is a mall policy/issue. I have seem Gamestop's in malls open or stay late for big game launches so I'm hoping that Apple will do the same. I'm going to call the Boca store and find out.

J2d3
Jul 2, 2008, 08:25 AM
Are you upgrading from Iphone 1.0? If so the Apple store is going to be faster I think. The word on the net is, for existing Iphone people there is going to be a separate (faster) line, sort of like a bonus for being loyal I guess.

pcmike
Jul 6, 2008, 04:49 PM
So where is going to be the best place to for for a current AT&T customer who is just upgrading their device (I don't currently own an iPhone, but I qualify for the upgrading price)? Also of note, on the 11th I'll be 6 days away from my "upgrade date" (but was told by AT&T customer care that any AT&T store will just overlook the 6 days and do the upgrade).. I wonder if Apple can overlook 6 days like an AT&T store could (i.e. will they even have the ability to override certain AT&T systems)?

I'm thinking I should probably just go to the large new AT&T corporate store that opened up on the corner of Gateway and Congress in Boynton.

sainttech
Jul 7, 2008, 02:59 PM
You heard it here first. Boca Store will be opening at 8am (UNCONFIRMED). I will be at the Boca Store! Unless I am wrong of course!! I have to purchase two phones (Me 16GB Wife 8GB). I believe it will be an activation nightmare.

sainttech
Jul 7, 2008, 09:17 PM
Can I say I told you so......look at my previous post date? Happy hunting!!!

FLKat
Jul 8, 2008, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know yet if we will have to wait outside the mall or will they allow is inside? The last time I was at Town Center for a launch of any kind was for Leopard. They didn't let us line up inside the mall but instead shuttled us down a hallway. But that was during mall hours.

My husband and kids will still be sound asleep when I get up in the wee hours of the morning to find myself a place in line, so I'd love to meet up with some new friends. What time are you all getting there?

J2d3
Jul 8, 2008, 07:30 AM
I may have to go to an AT&T store now. I have an old employee discount still tied to my account and the latest news says I need to go to AT&T. Even though my account shows the FAN# I haven't received a discount on my bill for years. I hope to get it settled by Friday but if not I am making alternate arrangements. I'm going to call AT&T later and see what I can do.

susanjane
Jul 8, 2008, 09:10 AM
i'm planning to go over to Town Center around 5:30-6am on Friday. i've never gone in line for a phone, let alone at the Apple store at the mall, so this will be interesting. is it 1 phone per person?

Emilio G
Jul 8, 2008, 11:46 PM
I was thinking of getting there at 8am, snagging some Starbucks (if they're open) and just hanging out and waiting. I'm off that day so it's not like I need to be anywhere else. Plus I've never been to any sort of Apple product launches so it'll be interesting to see what it's all about.

I'm going to call tomorrow to find out what time they're opening their doors and posting the info here unless someone beats me to it. I'll also ask about the waiting scenario (inside vs outside).

Can't wait. :)

Emilio G
Jul 9, 2008, 05:33 PM
This might be known information but I'll post it anyway.

Doors open at 8am and the person I spoke to said that security should allow us to line up inside the store before time like they did for last year's launch (which I didn't attend).

Carry on. :)

BMdoubleU
Jul 10, 2008, 02:11 PM
You heard it here first. Boca Store will be opening at 8am (UNCONFIRMED). I will be at the Boca Store! Unless I am wrong of course!! I have to purchase two phones (Me 16GB Wife 8GB). I believe it will be an activation nightmare.Brother! Who gave you the day off!!!!! You need to be at the office at 8:00 am....:D:) J/K

Make sure you swing by the office on Monday to show me the new toy.....;)

susanjane
Jul 10, 2008, 03:50 PM
has anyone swung by the mall and see if there was already a line? i wonder if anyone is going to line up early... is getting there around 5:30-6 too late, i wonder....?

alexplank
Jul 10, 2008, 04:30 PM
You heard it here first. Boca Store will be opening at 8am (UNCONFIRMED). I will be at the Boca Store! Unless I am wrong of course!! I have to purchase two phones (Me 16GB Wife 8GB). I believe it will be an activation nightmare.

According to AT&T/apple, they won't let you get more than one unless your wife is with you.

FLKat
Jul 10, 2008, 04:44 PM
It might be worth a drive over there tonight to see first hand what's up and if there is already a line. I'll drive over and see. I also have a friend who works in the Apple Store so maybe I can pick his brain a bit. If I ask nicely... he'll tell me (quickly bats eye lashes). ;-)

I'll let you all know what I find out when I get back.

susanjane
Jul 10, 2008, 05:20 PM
It might be worth a drive over there tonight to see first hand what's up and if there is already a line. I'll drive over and see. I also have a friend who works in the Apple Store so maybe I can pick his brain a bit. If I ask nicely... he'll tell me (quickly bats eye lashes). ;-)

I'll let you all know what I find out when I get back.

Thanks! Looking forward to what you find out. :)

FLKat
Jul 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
Ok so here's the scoop... just got back from the Apple store. Currently there is NO line forming anywhere near the mall.

My friend there said that the mall will not open it's doors until 6:00am. The only door that will be open will be the Glades Road side (between Grand Lux and Stir Crazy where the valet parking is.) Security will allows us to line up in the mall hallway (instead of down a side corridor) once they open the doors. Apple store opens at 8:00am (as previously mentioned).

I don't know how early other people will be getting there, but no one will be allowed in the mall until 6:00. I imagine a line will start outside in the wee hours of the morning for die-hard folks. Personally I like my sleep so I won't be there till around 4:00-5:00. If I don't see anyone at the doors I'll just wait in my car.

So that's what I was told. Hopefully that's the way it will go. You never know with malls though... security seems to have a mind of their own at times.

It would be cool if Starbucks inside the mall got with the program and actually opened early for all of us Apple fans, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I'll be there, look for me... I'm 5'3", and I have blonde hair. Not bringing my laptop, but I will be watching tv shows on my ipod. LOL.

See you there!
Kat =^..^=

susanjane
Jul 10, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ok so here's the scoop... just got back from the Apple store. Currently there is NO line forming anywhere near the mall.

My friend there said that the mall will not open it's doors until 6:00am. The only door that will be open will be the Glades Road side (between Grand Lux and Stir Crazy where the valet parking is.) Security will allows us to line up in the mall hallway (instead of down a side corridor) once they open the doors. Apple store opens at 8:00am (as previously mentioned).

I don't know how early other people will be getting there, but no one will be allowed in the mall until 6:00. I imagine a line will start outside in the wee hours of the morning for die-hard folks. Personally I like my sleep so I won't be there till around 4:00-5:00. If I don't see anyone at the doors I'll just wait in my car.

So that's what I was told. Hopefully that's the way it will go. You never know with malls though... security seems to have a mind of their own at times.

It would be cool if Starbucks inside the mall got with the program and actually opened early for all of us Apple fans, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I'll be there, look for me... I'm 5'3", and I have blonde hair. Not bringing my laptop, but I will be watching tv shows on my ipod. LOL.

See you there!
Kat =^..^=

Thanks Kat! Maybe I'll see you there! I'm 4'11, with dark brown hair wearing a blue blouse with jeans, and I'm most likely bringing my laptop. :)

Emilio G
Jul 11, 2008, 12:02 AM
Kat,

Thanks for the info.

I was planning on being there at 7:30am but if they're opening the doors earlier, I'm going to try to drag my 2 friends with me to the store.

If they don't wanna come that early, look for me as well (this means you too, susanjane).

I'm about 5'11, with a dead look on my face (by dead i mean slightly hungover), khaki shorts, nike shoes, and a black polo shirt. no laptop, just my hopes and dreams. :)

sainttech
Jul 11, 2008, 05:35 AM
FLKAT is here also.....just waiting.
I tried to update the forum, but I had no WIFI connection at the Mall. Talk about no life; here all night.

drkstar
Jul 11, 2008, 09:41 AM
FLKAT is here also.....just waiting.
I tried to update the forum, but I had no WIFI connection at the Mall. Talk about no life; here all night.

Hey there... got to Town Center at 4:45 am was #6 in line and soon met sainttech and FLKAT while waiting by the side entrance outside by Grand Lux Cafe...

Mall security was well informed and intentioned and allowed us to enter the mall promptly at 6:00 am.

Apple employees were there to greet us and had iPhones (original ones) to call AT&T with any questions/issues prior to entering the store. They also passed out Smart Water and coffee.

Attached is a photo of the line at 7:45 am and of entering the store at 8:00 am:

My GF and I both got black 16 GB's and were out of the store by 8:25 am :)

Had a great time meeting up with and speaking with some fine Mac enthusiasts !!!

See you next year :)

FLKat
Jul 11, 2008, 09:45 AM
It's so cool! :)

I got to the mall around 4:30ish. There were already 7 people in line (Sainttech was one of them). When I left around 9:00 there was easily over 100 people in line. We heard stories that there were ridiculous lines at other locations. I'm SO glad I went to the mall instead of AT&T.

Had a slight hiccup in activating my phone because the salesman didn't quite know how to do it with my existing Family Plan. But after a couple phone calls to AT&T we got through it, and he was very nice so I didn't mind waiting a bit longer.

Sainttech... it was very nice to meet you! I enjoyed our conversations. It made the the time go by quickly. Hope your wife likes her new phone, too. :-)

Hey did anyone take pictures of their locations? I'd love to see some of the others.

Kat =^..^=

susanjane
Jul 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
I got there arond 6:30am... went inside and saw about 30-40 people in front of me. I finally got into the Apple store around 9 and didn't leave until almost 10:45 because of the whole server thing, my iphone wasn't activating. I'm glad I got there when I did because when I was leaving, OMG the line was insane.

I got 16gb white and its so pretty! But I still can't sync it to itunes unfortunately, which kinda sucks. :(

But I got it! :o

FLKat
Jul 11, 2008, 04:31 PM
Um... AT&T underestimated the phone popularity just a wee bit? LOL. I'm sorry to hear your phone is not working yet SusanJane, but like you said, at least you have it. I'm sure they will work out the bugs soon.

And yes... that line was nuts!

I looked for you... is your hair short? I saw a gal with short brown hair about 30 people back from me (I was #8). And I only saw a few women there. Kinda funny actually. I think the ratio was like 30 guys to 1 girl.

*sigh* We really need to bring more ladies into the tech era. ;-)