PDA

View Full Version : Mexico City, Mexico

jcgnu
Jun 14, 2008, 09:00 PM
All Telcel's "Centros de Atención a Clientes" should be selling the iPhone.

A friend of mine called them to get information on its release and all they told him is that it will be announced on July 11th, but will not start selling until the next day.

I personally will try at Perisur first, or Loreto in case it is very crowded.

If someone finds out some more information, please share it with us.

Please post in English since it is a forum in English.

fjguerra
Jun 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
Does anybody know if Telcel will be the exclusive carrier or if it will be possible to activate it with Movistar, for example?

jcgnu
Jun 14, 2008, 10:17 PM
It will be exclusive...

Movistar will sell it in the rest of Latin America, but Telcel will be the only one to sell it in Mexico... Of course, Mr. Slim wanted his company to be the exclusive carrier in his own country.

Anyway, it won't be possible to activate it with any other carrier but Telcel.

Although, they admitted, in a press release, that they would introduce new data plans for people who purchased the iPhone. I really hope they will be a lot cheaper, since an unlimited 3G data plan currently costs 579 pesos (around 50 dollars + tax).

apparatchik
Jun 14, 2008, 11:26 PM
Im really looking forward to which plans can they offer with the launch, since right now all of them seem quite expensive if we compare them to those in other countries. If you go for an unlimited 3g plan, which if you look carefully at the small letters isnt really unlimited -after 3 gb of data transfer your speed connection gets downgraded from 1.5 mbps to 128 kpbs...- and you sum it up to your voice plan then you end up paying something above 100 us dls... which in my opinion is just too much for it really going for the massive market...

Here in mexico city I can tell people is really devoted to new gadgets and have the incomes to have them, but it will be really hard to sell a 100 dls monthly plan because it wont seem like a good decision...

I for once could be going from my current prepaid service (a MXN 500 card gives you 900 in credit with telcel, i usually buy one every other month) to a monthly plan just for getting an iPhone but it shouldnt be more than 60/month for me to really make it feel like a rational decision...

CorranQ
Jun 16, 2008, 01:10 AM
Personally I'm probably gonna do the rounds at one or two Telcel stores/centers on the 11th and 12th to see what's happening. I have the 1st gen iPhone running on Movistar and am very much 'not' interested in activating a line with Telcel (horrid past experiences with them), but I have clients that want advice on how to proceed as far as upgrading software, upgrading iPhone, and official activation with Telcel.

Having contacted Telcel, they informed me almost mockingly that they would have to "verify" that the 1st gen iPhone would run on their networks before proceeding through activation, and that even then there might be an activation fee for owning a phone not originally purchased through Telcel.

I'm pretty much going to stand by the open source community as a final answer to activation, but other than that, it'll be kinda fun to watch the iPhone fanfare here in Mexico City ;-)

lalcan
Jun 16, 2008, 02:26 PM
In the past i've had good experiences finding the new phones in the Cuicuilco plaza, just not in the "centro de atencion telcel" but in a distributor located below telmex offices, i believe it's called Centro Celular or something like that, i've wanted to call them since the announcement but haven't been able to find their phone number.

On the other hand, i want to wait until a special plan is announced, it wouldn't make sense to pay current prices for an unlimited plan, and it would make sense to have an iPhone with a limited plan...

Does anybody knows when the annex to torre mayor will be opened with the Mexico Apple Store? it would be great if they could open it in july 11th...

Regards

jcgnu
Jun 16, 2008, 04:13 PM
In the past i've had good experiences finding the new phones in the Cuicuilco plaza, just not in the "centro de atencion telcel" but in a distributor located below telmex offices, i believe it's called Centro Celular or something like that, i've wanted to call them since the announcement but haven't been able to find their phone number.

On the other hand, i want to wait until a special plan is announced, it wouldn't make sense to pay current prices for an unlimited plan, and it would make sense to have an iPhone with a limited plan...

Does anybody knows when the annex to torre mayor will be opened with the Mexico Apple Store? it would be great if they could open it in july 11th...

Regards

Well, first off, there is still no official announcement about an Apple Store in Torre Mayor... Therefore, no-one knows about its openning. I'm guessing that it's still under negotiations, so not even the people at Apple should know when it'll open.

Second, July 11th would be very soon for it to launch. If that was the case, we would already be hearing stronger rumors about its openning.

So, I'm pretty sure it won't open on July 11th, and there are many chances that it will not even open. At least maybe not there... Time will tell...

BTW, I'm impatiently waiting for both the iPhone and an iTunes Store! Although the latter may have to wait a little longer :mad:

apparatchik
Jun 17, 2008, 10:07 AM
BTW, I'm impatiently waiting for both the iPhone and an iTunes Store! Although the latter may have to wait a little longer :mad:

That's a good call, there's now really just a few more things missing here in Mexico, of which an apple store and the iTunes store are the main ones...

Movie rentals to make an apple tv really worth it would be also great.

lalcan
Jun 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
There is one site which stated that we would see the iTunes Music Store by mid-may "from good sources", seems like they were not as good :-D

I've been calling some telcel distributors and they haven't received any info from Telcel, they only know that there will be iPhones for sale but they don't know prices or dates, i've even tried to make them start a list of interested people but they have refused to...

Telcel is holding their cards too close to their chest...

joseluis.17
Jun 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
i just called *264 and i talked to a girl who didn't have any idea about anything of the iphone she started to talk like a machine and star to offer me a lot of plans but any one special

so i think we'll have to wait until the 11

igocancun
Jun 20, 2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.screencast.com/users/igocancun/folders/Jing/media/691547ad-bf34-47f0-88e2-c148b0709f6e

Source:

http://www.telcel.com/iphone/planes.html

joseluis.17
Jun 23, 2008, 02:17 PM
any one things this "planes" are to good i mean and the price of the iphone really cheap if you compare it to the other phones for example like 6 months ago my mom got a nokia for almost 4000 and this plans offer the iphone around that price and in one plan is even free thats way better than what I was expecting I tough the iphone was going to be around 6000 so i think we are going to see a lot of iphones out there :)

apparatchik
Jun 23, 2008, 02:50 PM
I agree they seem pretty competitive... doesnt say how much time tou'll have to sign for though... lets hope its not a 3 year agreement as it has been rumored in other countries...

I also have doubts about what does ILIMITADO (En la terminal) exactly means on the postpaid 4 plan...

does anybody know if skype makes calls to cel numbers here in Mexico? how exactly would one be able to make skype phone calls when connected to a wifi spot here?

lalcan
Jun 23, 2008, 05:23 PM
does anybody know if skype makes calls to cel numbers here in Mexico? how exactly would one be able to make skype phone calls when connected to a wifi spot here?

I believe first Skype would need to develop a client for the iPhone... So far it hasn't been mentioned...

fjguerra
Jun 24, 2008, 11:44 AM
I agree they seem pretty competitive... doesnt say how much time tou'll have to sign for though... lets hope its not a 3 year agreement as it has been rumored in other countries...

I also have doubts about what does ILIMITADO (En la terminal) exactly means on the postpaid 4 plan...

Regarding Skype, as far as I know, theres's no native client for the iPhone. Nevertheless you can usw www.s4iphone.com and register your Skypename. If I remember correct, you have to pay a one-time fee to use the "Call to a Phone" feature. The point is that you can use Skype with your iPhone through a Wi-Fi network.

What this page does (as far as I know) is to make a call from a server to your iPhone and a call from this server to the phone you want to dial. The server takes care of merging the calls for you. At the end you pay both calls, but it's far cheaper than to call directly from your iPhone.

joseluis.17
Jul 1, 2008, 08:10 PM
in centro de antencion a clientes telcel sucursal Humberto Lobo monterrey Nuevo Léon there's a waiting list so if you are planing to get one in San Pedro you better go and sign up before is full

CrEsTo
Jul 1, 2008, 09:29 PM
Here in mexico city I can tell people is really devoted to new gadgets and have the incomes to have them, but it will be really hard to sell a 100 dls monthly plan because it wont seem like a good decision...

I for once could be going from my current prepaid service (a MXN 500 card gives you 900 in credit with telcel, i usually buy one every other month) to a monthly plan just for getting an iPhone but it shouldnt be more than 60/month for me to really make it feel like a rational decision...

Are you kidding me? Have you all the bunch of people who has unlimited Nextel plans for $1,000 pesos per month?

If those prices are true, the unlimited plan is a bargain, for $900 pesos you get 700 mins, 250 SMS, unlimited data and a free 8GB iPhone. Now, according to your math you save money using amigo kit? haha, that made me laugh.

Look, you said that with $500 pesos you get $900 pesos right? Well, if you divide those $900 pesos with the $4 pesos per minute you will see that for 2 $500 pesos cards ($1,800 pesos total) you get:

$1,800 / $4 pesos per minute = 450 minutes

... plus you are missing unlimited data, 250 minutes and the free iPhone.

Capisce?

apparatchik
Jul 2, 2008, 02:39 AM
Are you kidding me? Have you all the bunch of people who has unlimited Nextel plans for $1,000 pesos per month?

If those prices are true, the unlimited plan is a bargain, for $900 pesos you get 700 mins, 250 SMS, unlimited data and a free 8GB iPhone. Now, according to your math you save money using amigo kit? haha, that made me laugh.

Look, you said that with $500 pesos you get $900 pesos right? Well, if you divide those $900 pesos with the $4 pesos per minute you will see that for 2 $500 pesos cards ($1,800 pesos total) you get:

$1,800 / $4 pesos per minute = 450 minutes

... plus you are missing unlimited data, 250 minutes and the free iPhone.

Capisce?

Hahaha, where do you get that I pay $4 pesos a minute?? I understand how you're trying to make it look over the top, exagerating things, etc...

Just that I actually pay $1 peso per minute to call another telcel number, which happens to be all of my friends, which shouldnt surprise anyone as telcel is a plain monopoly, so actually it is more something like $1,800 / $1 pesos per minute = 1800 minutes...

And unlike a contract plan, if I dont use the time within a month, I dont loose it... I think its pretty clear, and out of question, how a prepay plan can be a lot more clever in terms of getting more bang for every buck...

We still dont know for how much time you'll have to sign and if those plans are actually the real ones... I would be specially esceptical with the free 8gb model on the 4th plan, they may try to sign you up for 3 years, as it seems to be the case in some countries... In USA they're charging a similar 70 dls plan and you still have to pay 199 dls for that model on a 2 year agreement...

Also If you check what an unlimited data plan means for telcel right know (you can look it up at their website) its really just 3gb of data transfer per month after which you get downgraded to dialup speeds...

Now, As a stated above, if the said turns out to be the real pricing, say 2 year, 900 pesos/month agreement, free 8gb model, they're actually quite competitive... But still it wont be going to the massive market, which was my first argument... its not a matter of how many people you know have nextel 100 dls plans... customers on a monthly plan are a minority... the iphone may be adopted widely by some percentage of those, and then some few prepay guys going to a contract, but that still stands my point...

jcgnu
Jul 2, 2008, 01:10 PM
Well I have a "Sin Fin 1" plan that let's me make free calls to 10 numbers up to 5 minutes per call. Also 50 minutes to any number, but no SMSs... I pay 189 pesos... But I normally end up paying aroung 250 because of SMSs and extra minutes...

Anyway, I'm expecting they will let me keep my current plan and just get one of their current data plans. I'm thinking about the one with 500 MB for 379 pesos..

Then I would be paying 629 and would keep my current 10 free numbers.

Let's see what happens.

joseluis.17
Jul 3, 2008, 01:09 PM
Well I have a "Sin Fin 1" plan that let's me make free calls to 10 numbers up to 5 minutes per call. Also 50 minutes to any number, but no SMSs... I pay 189 pesos... But I normally end up paying aroung 250 because of SMSs and extra minutes...

Anyway, I'm expecting they will let me keep my current plan and just get one of their current data plans. I'm thinking about the one with 500 MB for 379 pesos..

Then I would be paying 629 and would keep my current 10 free numbers.

Let's see what happens.

o don't think they will allow to do that, i think they have all ready some plans for al of us who want the new iphone like the link that somebody post it before those plans are the one you'll have to chose from but i hope so they allow as to keep our plans and just add a data plan i guess we'll have to wait until july 11

CrEsTo
Jul 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
Have you heard about Visual Voicemail in Mexico?

joseluis.17
Jul 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
i have curiosity to know how many of you guys are buying the iphone despite the price i mean how many of you are going to be down the line on july 11 to buy it?

CrEsTo
Jul 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
joseluis, if plans are close to what has been published, I will get one for sure... 8GB. So I will be in my local CAT early on Friday.

joseluis.17
Jul 4, 2008, 05:36 PM
joseluis, if plans are close to what has been published, I will get one for sure... 8GB. So I will be in my local CAT early on Friday.

okey that the spirit i'm talking about :D

anyone else??

jcgnu
Jul 6, 2008, 03:02 PM
Sure, I'll be at my local CAC by 5 am waiting in line...

And it appears that they will let me keep my plan but force me to get the unlimited data plan (579 pesos)... Not so bad...

joseluis.17
Jul 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
Sure, I'll be at my local CAC by 5 am waiting in line...

And it appears that they will let me keep my plan but force me to get the unlimited data plan (579 pesos)... Not so bad...

actually not bad at all :)

a question for you guys how many MB you think you have to use because I don't know how many I use is there a way to know it I use safari I really want to know cause I don't know witch data plan is the best for me:confused:

jcgnu
Jul 7, 2008, 10:43 AM
actually not bad at all :)

a question for you guys how many MB you think you have to use because I don't know how many I use is there a way to know it I use safari I really want to know cause I don't know witch data plan is the best for me:confused:

Now it seems like we're all gonna have to pay 1,100 pesos a month and around 2,000 for the iPhone. It wouldn't matter if you have a plan or want a cheaper one. Let's just hope this will happen to be false rumors... In that case, I wouldn't buy the damn phone.

Anyway, there's really no way to know how much you've spent of your monthly megabytes (A good idea for an iPhone app, don't you think? ;)). If you're running on Mac OS X, you can find out the amount of MBs sent per session (since you last turned your computer on) using iStat Pro widget. But it will count every single MB recieved or sent (separately) by any program in your computer. That includes Messenger, Apple Update, and others...

That could give you an idea, but mainly I would ask how much you would use your iPhone to browse the Internet, what kind of stuff you would do (including Maps, GPS, and all that) and how much of that would be done out of a Wi-fi signal... Then you can get an estimate...

I was thinking about a plan with 500 MB, which should be more than enough for me, since I'm always at school or home where I have Wi-fi, but it seems that I'm gonna have to get the unlimited data plan... Who knows, I'll have to wait until they release the official plans.

CrEsTo
Jul 7, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'm on the same boat... I won't buy it if the plan is over $1,000 pesos, that's too much.

apparatchik
Jul 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
Same here... as much as I want an iPhone, and as much as I'd be willing to switch to a contract plan... 1k/month is a bit too much dont you think?? I mean, I currently spend about 250 a month... lets hope the first leaked plans are the actual ones... pretty near launch day now, we'll know for sure in just a bit...

here's the article by el universal (http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/finanzas/65263.html)

Chico3001
Jul 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
Seems that we are going to find out next wednesday the real pricing

http://mx.news.yahoo.com/s/07072008/65/n-business-telcel-levantar-velo-iphone.html

I only hope that they keep a 500 pesos plan... :rolleyes:

joseluis.17
Jul 7, 2008, 04:39 PM
Now it seems like we're all gonna have to pay 1,100 pesos a month and around 2,000 for the iPhone. It wouldn't matter if you have a plan or want a cheaper one. Let's just hope this will happen to be false rumors... In that case, I wouldn't buy the damn phone.

Anyway, there's really no way to know how much you've spent of your monthly megabytes (A good idea for an iPhone app, don't you think? ;)). If you're running on Mac OS X, you can find out the amount of MBs sent per session (since you last turned your computer on) using iStat Pro widget. But it will count every single MB recieved or sent (separately) by any program in your computer. That includes Messenger, Apple Update, and others...

That could give you an idea, but mainly I would ask how much you would use your iPhone to browse the Internet, what kind of stuff you would do (including Maps, GPS, and all that) and how much of that would be done out of a Wi-fi signal... Then you can get an estimate...

I was thinking about a plan with 500 MB, which should be more than enough for me, since I'm always at school or home where I have Wi-fi, but it seems that I'm gonna have to get the unlimited data plan... Who knows, I'll have to wait until they release the official plans.

yeah I'm the same here at my school I got Wi-Fi and I got Wi-Fi in my house and I just want to check my mail of course use maps for the new GPS and use the web not to much but use it so I don't think I need the unlimited plan but I really don't know how many MB would be ok for me

what you think?
how many MB you are plan to get?

CrEsTo
Jul 7, 2008, 04:53 PM
Prices are up

http://www.telcel.com/iphone/planes.html

Not what I was expecting.. where is the unlimited data?

joseluis.17
Jul 7, 2008, 06:16 PM
ok where's the unlimited data plan I mean the best you can get is 200 MB that's really weird don't you think well anyway I can't afford the best plan so I think I'd go for the cheapest

with this plans how many of you guys are getting the iphone?

witch one are you getting the 8gb or the 16 black or white

joseluis.17
Jul 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
I can't wait to friday i'll be there like 3 hours before they open telcel so I could be one of the first ones to have the iphone :D

apparatchik
Jul 7, 2008, 07:05 PM
I agree they seem quite limited on data transfer, I mean, going from the 459 plan to the 799 one, just sums another 100 MB, which Im pretty sure fly fastly with say, 20 minutes of online video...

How much does it costs to go unlimited?? When you are already on one of those plans??? Either way, is it really unlimited??

http://www.sistemasglobales.com/konica/imagen.gif

http://www.sistemasglobales.com/konica/imagen2.gif

at $0.04 the extra kb, if you go over your quota, by say, 10 MB, that would mean $400 more on your ticket... a true upfront rape

CrEsTo
Jul 7, 2008, 07:10 PM
You have to pay extra $579 IVA included if you want to add unlimited data.

iNassar
Jul 7, 2008, 09:30 PM
the iPhone prices suck and steve is a lier....... he said at the wwdc that the maximum world wide price for the iphone would be 199 dlls.... yeahh sure then why is tecel charging us more than 300 dlls for the iphone besides a very expensive plan with only 100 mb! steve what happend???? How come you dare to put in the iphone advertising "Twice as fast. Half the Price."

fjguerra
Jul 7, 2008, 10:00 PM
Telcel's plans are ridiculous! None with unlimited data... 200MB is by far not enough. Be careful if you don't have unlimited data! It's a shame to see Telcel abusing once again. I hope they change their prices very soon...

iNassar
Jul 7, 2008, 11:11 PM
Telcel's plans are ridiculous! None with unlimited data... 200MB is by far not enough. Be careful if you don't have unlimited data! It's a shame to see Telcel abusing once again. I hope they change their prices very soon...

yep I hope that too .. and I also hope money starts raining from the sky and that world peace becomes a reality... telcel just want to suk up our money lets face it that wont change:(

joseluis.17
Jul 7, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm in big trubble what if I pass my MB I would have to pay like a lot!!
those plans really suck:mad:

CrEsTo
Jul 8, 2008, 03:42 PM
With these plans, are you guys still in? I'm definitely gonna wait.

joseluis.17
Jul 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
With these plans, are you guys still in? I'm definitely gonna wait.

i'm still in but what are you waiting for? do you think they are going to change those plans? i think they'll have like an addition to those plans in witch you can upgrade the data plan at least that's what i hope :)

only few days more :D

apparatchik
Jul 8, 2008, 06:22 PM
Right now Im giving it a long tought, tough I could afford it I am just not seeing those plans as a good deal... its a 24 month agreement after all... paying 799 for 200 mb data transfer and just 400 minutes... plus the initial 2,160 fee for the iphone 16 gb... which is the only one really worht it in my view... I might just pass out for now, maybe in a few month they upgrade the data and time offers...

CrEsTo
Jul 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
Right now Im giving it a long tought, tough I could afford it I am just not seeing those plans as a good deal... its a 24 month agreement after all... paying 799 for 200 mb data transfer and just 400 minutes... plus the initial 2,160 fee for the iphone 16 gb... which is the only one really worht it in my view... I might just pass out for now, maybe in a few month they upgrade the data and time offers...

Exactly... I don't need it NOW, so I will wait and see how the offer develops

joseluis.17
Jul 9, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'm going for it after all if better plans comes out you can upgrade your plan anytime you want so if they improve I'll upgrade and I don't remember exactly but I think that if you have six month or more they'll let you keep the phone in this case the iphone and I think in six month there's going to be a way to unlock it
so i'm going for it and if better plans comes out i'll wait the six months so i get another contract and hopefully I end with 2 iphones :D

joseluis.17
Jul 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
hey you guys have you started downloading those application
app store is allready opened for us :D
so open your itunes an start downloading

joseluis.17
Jul 11, 2008, 11:19 AM
now im angry I waited for an hour and a half and then the first iphone was sold and i asked to the guy that if it was black and he told me that those were the only ones aviable and there are just blacks in mty!!!!!:mad::mad:

lalcan
Jul 11, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think i'll wait too, it's not like i can't live a couple of months without it, right? i would expect a 32Gb one within that timeframe -or what's the same: a drop in the price of the 16Gb-, the option to buy it pre-payed or even a grey-market cheaper one.

A 24 month telcel contract is simply unacceptable, just think what will be Apple offering in 12 months, and what you will have to pay in order to be released from the contract.

Once the grey market floods the market with cheaper iPhones running under Movistar (don't even think Movistar will not offer cheaper iPhones south of the border just to keep the grey market guys well supplied), Telcel will have to open their eyes.

lalcan
Jul 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm going for it after all if better plans comes out you can upgrade your plan anytime you want so if they improve I'll upgrade and I don't remember exactly but I think that if you have six month or more they'll let you keep the phone in this case the iphone and I think in six month there's going to be a way to unlock it
so i'm going for it and if better plans comes out i'll wait the six months so i get another contract and hopefully I end with 2 iphones :D

No you can't, if, for example, after six months the plans are cheaper you have to pay a HUGE amount to be released of your first contract, if you want to change to the new iPhone next year, you have to pay that HUGE amount too.

Read the small print before signing, and good luck!

apparatchik
Jul 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
Here's the link if any of you would like to join the petition for better plans...

http://www.neltelcel.com/

My only real concern is the minutes/data offering, if for 799 we could go to 500 MB... or unlimited like it is with att&t at usa... I would be more than willing to join for a 24 month agreement... lets just ask for a more fair deal.

joseluis.17
Jul 12, 2008, 08:39 AM
No you can't, if, for example, after six months the plans are cheaper you have to pay a HUGE amount to be released of your first contract, if you want to change to the new iPhone next year, you have to pay that HUGE amount too.

Read the small print before signing, and good luck!

yeah you rigth yesterday at telcel they explain everthing to me in the only case they wouldn't charge me is if a chance to a more exepensive contract so i think my plan is runied :(

i already sign up for neltelcel

iphoneifan
Jul 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
guys, i am wondering about what kind of activation process did telcel use ?
Home activation? Or in store activation?
please share your experiences.

Best regards,

CrEsTo
Jul 15, 2008, 09:08 PM
As far as I know, they use store activation.

I signed up for a 8GB one... they have availability at the Mac Store in Masaryk.. at least that was on Saturday.

apparatchik
Jul 15, 2008, 11:11 PM
Are you from El Salvador iphonefan?

I have family there :)

lets see if claro comes up with better plans thou... tecel is kinda stealing people here...