PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Flagship store on Boylston St, Boston, MA

Nykwil
Jun 14, 2008, 09:23 PM
What? No thread yet?

Could have sworn there would be more Boston members.

Well I'll be there.

Anyone wanna nominate themselves to make badges? :cool:;):p

berkleeboy210
Jun 14, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'll be there.

Last year, I waited at the ATT store further down Boylston by the Library.

I got there around 12ish and was number 4 in Line.

Do you think 12 will be too late this time around?

Regardless, I'll be in that line at some point. Looking forward to it.

SJobsismyhero
Jun 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
I will be there! What time is every one getting there?:confused:

perrysalyer
Jun 15, 2008, 12:33 AM
I registered just to say this:

I will be on vacation in boston and shall buy my new iPhone while I am in boston. I am so excited to see this store.

berkleeboy210
Jun 15, 2008, 12:52 AM
Perry: you'll love it!

As for time, I'm planning on arriving around noon.

Although I was in line for the store opening and arrived around 2pm and was about number 40 in line.

It's still a month away so I got plenty of time to plan.

It's going to be interesting to see how crowded the Cambridgeside and Chestnut Hill stores are this year, seeing that Boston has a store now.

Maybe, those will be good alternatives for people as well.

Nykwil
Jun 15, 2008, 11:29 AM
ill probably take the day of and get their around 9, ASSUMING there's no line. I really hope there wont be a line. It's going to be a pain to keep buying apple products if each one is hyped up to the point where ever release is followed by a massive line.

Steve1496
Jun 15, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm debating on going to this store or a less popular store like Derby St. I haven't even seen the Boylston St store yet--mainly because I like to avoid going into Boston's traffic. But this store looks so cool, I might have to drive down for the iPhone 3G. Last time I got to the Derby St Apple store around 11AM and was #10-15 or so...hoping the lines won't be as bad for this launch.

Steve

SJobsismyhero
Jun 15, 2008, 11:07 PM
Are the new iPhones going to be available at the regular opening time of the store or they going to make us wait until later on that night? Because if they are going to be on sale at the opening I am going to get there early seeing how this might take some time now with in store activation and all.

Hopstretch
Jun 16, 2008, 10:02 AM
Reckon I might trek in the from the 'burbs to see the new store, get lunch at La Voile and pick up a 3Jesus Phone. Oh la la!

devvoid
Jun 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
For anyone who hasn't seen the store before, it's worth the trip into the city!

I'm hoping to take the day off from work and be there around lunch time. I'm pretty sure there's also an AT&T store right down the street (it's on Boylston), so I'm sure there will be a line there. If I can't get the day off, think getting there at 6 is even worth it?

watsie76
Jun 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
Think about it - Cambridgeside would at least have waiting indoors available because it is in a mall and from my previous iphone experience there, all the employees were awesome!

I'll start a cambridgeside post!

Hopstretch
Jun 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
Think it'll be more fun at the mothership. And they'll probably be able to move people through more efficiently with all that space. Hopefully the activation process will be a doddle for 1st-gen owners who just need to swap SIMs over.

berkleeboy210
Jun 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
From the looks of this thread being about 3 pages back. Maybe our chances will be good on 7.11 :D:D

tkidBOSTON
Jun 28, 2008, 11:11 AM
I'm going to head down there after work.

No waiting in lines for me this time around.

berkleeboy210
Jun 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well I've been asked to cover the store for Leo Laporte's coverage of the Launch. so I'll be in line.

Hopefully it's going to be an 8am Launch.

bobbleheadbob
Jun 29, 2008, 02:38 AM
I work nearby and am planning to be there to get one on the 11th. I guess when I get there will depend on what time they go on sale. If it's not until 6pm, then I probably won't go over until the end of the day.....well, maybe I'll leave work a little early! :D

Nykwil
Jul 1, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm thinking about swinging by after work on thursday to see if there is a line at all.

If not I'll probably come by later in the morning around 5 or 6 and hang out by the doors.

ejs1980
Jul 1, 2008, 04:55 PM
Did I understand from this post that AT&T stores are selling at 8am?

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/01/atandt-iphone-3g-pricing-details/

And so will Boylston St Apple Store be ready to go at 8??

That certainly changes my plans.

tkidBOSTON
Jul 2, 2008, 08:46 AM
And so will Boylston St Apple Store be ready to go at 8??

I was just going to reply with a "yes" but since I don't actually know for sure, I'm going to adjust my reply to a "probably".

As for me, with the phones going on sale at 8am, I will not be at the Boylston Store. I'll probably just snag one in the morning before work at a local AT&T store (in Woburn or Wilmington) or, if I'm feeling ambitious, head to the apple store in Burlington.

agentornge33
Jul 7, 2008, 10:03 PM
anyone's plans change now that the 8am time for sale is confirmed? Would love to pick it up at the Boylston store before heading into work on Friday...

SJobsismyhero
Jul 7, 2008, 11:05 PM
My plans were totally messed up not to mention that I am doing some live streaming while in line for the iPhone so, I am hoping that every thing can get worked out so I can still get the phone at launch.

nathanjbrown
Jul 8, 2008, 02:44 AM
I'll be purchasing my iPhone during a trip to Boston later this week. Would you all suggest I visit the Boston Apple Store or the Cambridge Apple Store? From what I've read (in this thread), the Boylston store is pretty impressive...But, in the name of shorter lines and reduced sellout potential, should I head out to Cambridge instead?

Thoughts?

Thanks! Have a great day...

Nathan

tkidBOSTON
Jul 8, 2008, 05:51 AM
Thoughts?

Being a "flagship" store, I'd be surprised if they sell out if you get there in a timely manner. Remember, on the initial launch, many stores did not sell out the first day.

That being said, if they do sell out, you do have an AT&T store right up the street.

You may also want to take into consideration that Cambridgeside is indoors while you'll have to wait on the street at the Boylston store.

berkleeboy210
Jul 8, 2008, 08:12 PM
Being a "flagship" store, I'd be surprised if they sell out if you get there in a timely manner. Remember, on the initial launch, many stores did not sell out the first day.

That being said, if they do sell out, you do have an AT&T store right up the street.

You may also want to take into consideration that Cambridgeside is indoors while you'll have to wait on the street at the Boylston store.

Right now, the forecast for friday is Sunny and 79 degrees. so it should be nice around 8am for the launch.

I'm planning on getting in line around 5:30am.

I need to call in via Skype to Leo Laporte's coverage on twitlive.tv

nathanjbrown
Jul 8, 2008, 08:31 PM
My red-eye lands around 7:00am, so I'll likely get to the store around 8:30am. I imagine I'll end up at the end of a long line...But that's fine with me so long as I walk out with a beautiful new iPhone! :D

I embark on a cross-country (9-Day) roadtrip the following morning and hope to book hotels along the way via mobile internet...And find our way with GPS...

What perfect timing on Apple's part...Just the gadget I need!

berkleeboy210
Jul 8, 2008, 11:34 PM
According to someone who follows me on Twitter
There are already people in line at the Boylston Store. he didn't say how many.

If someone could go by and take a pic that would be great.

I'm out of town

peteo
Jul 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
according to this guy on twitter there is no line

http://twitter.com/jamie_thompson

lem144
Jul 10, 2008, 10:40 AM
according to this guy on twitter there is no line

http://twitter.com/jamie_thompson

it just said the chairs were empty in the heat.

any news on Cambridgeside? Will they let people camp inside? haha. I'd sleep inside but not outside.

Nykwil
Jul 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
I really hope the line or lack thereof is reasonable when i arrive there tomorrow morning at 6am.

I'll be there at 6am, but i'll probably swing by later today in the wvening to see how many people are in line.

Cuprous
Jul 10, 2008, 02:23 PM
I just drove by the store around 3pm and there were 4 people sitting in chairs outside the store.

Nykwil
Jul 10, 2008, 03:31 PM
I just drove by the store around 3pm and there were 4 people sitting in chairs outside the store.

lol nice. im sure the line will gradually pick up tonight...closer to morning of course

berkleeboy210
Jul 10, 2008, 03:47 PM
Well i'm pissed, I'm in Florida and was due to come today at 4:30. My Flight to Atlanta was cancelled. so I wont be in beantown till 1130 tomorrow morning.

Do I go to Boylston or Cambridgeside at 11:30 tomorrow?

suggestions?

tkidBOSTON
Jul 10, 2008, 04:18 PM
suggestions?

I personally think you'd be fine at either but I suggest going to their flagship store as they're liable to have more iPhones AND more staff.

abhimat.gautam
Jul 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
i will be there!

akindy
Jul 11, 2008, 12:59 AM
I just walked by, and by my count there were around 30 people waiting (I imagine they'll have WAY more than that in stock)
The tall skinny one is all I could see in of the employees behind their curtain, changing signage by the looks of it.

ItalianBoston
Jul 11, 2008, 03:50 AM
I will prob stop by at 4ish this evening. I hope they will have some left, any one think they will?

peteo
Jul 11, 2008, 05:16 AM
I'm at the Att store in brookline about 30 people here right now

abhimat.gautam
Jul 11, 2008, 08:44 AM
Phil Schiller was there!

Nykwil
Jul 11, 2008, 09:08 AM
Phil Schiller was there!

I just got back home. Yeah I saw Phil Schiller too. That was cool.

Got there at 5:45 and there was probably like 30 pple in line. By the time 8 o'clock rolled around the line was at least a block and half down the street

tkidBOSTON
Jul 11, 2008, 10:34 AM
I just got back home. Yeah I saw Phil Schiller too. That was cool.

Got there at 5:45 and there was probably like 30 pple in line. By the time 8 o'clock rolled around the line was at least a block and half down the street

Got there at 5:45?
This wasn't you then, was it:
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/gallery/iphone3gonsale?pg=9

berkleeboy210
Jul 11, 2008, 05:05 PM
I got there around 1:15 this afternoon. line was 3hrs long. and it still wrapped around fairfield street by the time i left the store at 4:50.

They did NOT open my box.

Nykwil
Jul 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
Got there at 5:45?
This wasn't you then, was it:
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/gallery/iphone3gonsale?pg=9

im on page 1 kinda leaning on the building way in the back arms crossed...asian guy.

devvoid
Jul 11, 2008, 06:23 PM
I just called and they said it's still in stock but a 3 hour wait, I'm debating going over there now to wait...quick question: anyone here switched from verizon? I'm a little confused what they mean by account password/PIN. do I need that? I'm not sure what that number is...the only password I know of is the one I use for my online account. Sorry for the dumb question

tkidBOSTON
Jul 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
I just called and they said it's still in stock but a 3 hour wait, I'm debating going over there now to wait...quick question: anyone here switched from verizon? I'm a little confused what they mean by account password/PIN. do I need that? I'm not sure what that number is...the only password I know of is the one I use for my online account. Sorry for the dumb question

I cant speak to Verizon specifically, but some carriers don't have a PIN so all you would need is the account number. Your best bet is to call Verizon and ask.

devvoid
Jul 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
I cant speak to Verizon specifically, but some carriers don't have a PIN so all you would need is the account number. Your best bet is to call Verizon and ask.
Cool thanks, much appreciated :)

I have to head back into work, so my trip to the store will have to wait until tomorrow :(

ItalianBoston
Jul 12, 2008, 04:44 AM
I wasnt able to get my phone yesterday. Does anyone think there will be a line there today?

Queen of Spades
Jul 12, 2008, 05:36 AM
I don't know, but I'll find out shortly. I'm going today with my sister. We tried the Cambridgeside and Boylston Apple stores yesterday, but they were telling us it'd be 4+ hours and I wasn't going to wait that long.

We'll probably head to the Boylston store in about an hour.

tkidBOSTON
Jul 12, 2008, 07:17 AM
The line was down to about 3 hours by the end of the day yesterday. I imagine today it should be shorter. And the Boylston store still has stock, unlike some other area stores.

Good luck to everyone who doesnt have theirs yet.

Queen of Spades
Jul 12, 2008, 02:22 PM
Got in line at the Boylston store at 8:15am. The line wasn't too bad, it wrapped around a set of metal gates once. Pretty much never expanded beyond that length while I was there.

We were out of the store by 12pm, which was longer than we expected. By the time we got inside the Apple store (and into the 2nd, slower line), they told us they were out of black 16GBs until Monday. I was a bit disappointed, but I am actually thrilled with the white one. My sister and I both got white 16GB versions and it's far sexier than I imagined. Also nice and different. So it turned out to be kind of cool after all.

Our account set up and check out took 10 minutes max. I did see many, many do*chebags asking stupid questions they could have found out online, and taking hours asking about different protective cases. Each customer got an individual Apple rep, so that really slowed things down for the people who were on the ball and just wanted to get in and out. We thought the main hurdle was being one of the groups led into the store, but no. Once you got inside there was another line which moved fairly slow.

All in all, I'm happy I went. 4 hours wasn't as horrific as the 5-6 we were figuring for yesterday. Plus my phone was activated instantly and I was dialing in the car on the way home. Time to play with it.

Rucka321
Jul 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
Look for the out of the way AT&T stores. I wandered in to one this morning in Waltham, MA (@ 470 Winter Street I believe) around 10:30am and got my 16 gb white 3G-er with NO WAIT. Turned out to be their last 16gb one, but they said they'd have more on Monday...

The Burlington Mall Apple store had a very steady 25-30 person line as of 2pm today...

Rucka321
Jul 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
The Apple store in Burlington charged the sales on the full ($599) price, the AT&T store in Walthan only charged sales tax on the $299 price.

What's up with that????

devvoid
Jul 12, 2008, 08:58 PM
I got mine at the Chestnut Hill apple store. Waited in line for about 2 hours, activated instantly which was a surprise. The guy even told me that he expected an error code to come up, but it didn't haha. My number was ported within 10 minutes. Overall, not bad at all. Not sure if anyone is here who was there today, but a cool bunch of guys I waited with around 10:30.

I went to the Boylston store today to exchange my case around 6, and the line was wrapped all the way around metal bars on the 2nd floor. Looked like a long wait..

I'll be heading back tomorrow to pick up some extra screen protectors, I'll be curious if the lines are any shorter.

@Rucka321: That's the store right near my work. You got lucky. My boss and I were there on thursday, and they literally had 20 units in stock for friday, which is crazy because I passed by fri. morning at 8 and there were at least 50 people in line. The AT&T stores I saw today were empty, I think it's just hit or miss if they have stock

ItalianBoston
Jul 13, 2008, 02:22 AM
Well I decided to go to the Apple store at the North Shore Mall. I arrived at 830pm, there was no line, got waited on within 5 minutes and started the process, picked up my case, picked out my phone and then was told I couldnt buy one because I had a discount on my account. I asked if I take it off could I get one, he said no because it takes 4 hrs for their equipment to update. So I walked out with no phone :(

I guess I will try again tomorrow.

tkidBOSTON
Jul 13, 2008, 06:45 AM
I hope no one is looking for a 16GB black...

devvoid
Jul 13, 2008, 08:16 AM
Well I decided to go to the Apple store at the North Shore Mall. I arrived at 830pm, there was no line, got waited on within 5 minutes and started the process, picked up my case, picked out my phone and then was told I couldnt buy one because I had a discount on my account. I asked if I take it off could I get one, he said no because it takes 4 hrs for their equipment to update. So I walked out with no phone :(

That's weird, because the guy in back of me in line had the same problem. He called AT&T and had them remove it and he was able to get the phone. The systems really need to be more flexible :(

I saw that stock update last night too, I'm glad I got mine yesterday! Looks like the whites are selling a lot less. I'm headed over to Boylston in a few to pick up a car adapter, we'll see how bad the lines are.

devvoid
Jul 13, 2008, 11:15 AM
A bit smaller line today, although it still seemed to wrap around. I heard stock was pretty low though.

They were out of a bunch of accessories too

berkleeboy210
Jul 13, 2008, 08:32 PM

Weird.... I had a discount on my att account too. Was at the Apple Store on Boylston Friday afternoon. It came back as an error when the guy tried to do the easy pay checkout thing. so he called customer service, they removed the discount and within 5 minutes i was out of the store with it activated.

ItalianBoston
Jul 14, 2008, 04:21 AM
Seems like it the apple person knew what he was doing I could have bought mine at the apple store.

rikahlberg
Jul 14, 2008, 09:12 AM
Stopped by the Boylston St store this morning at about 8:45 and there were 10 people in line. The Apple employee managing the lines said they had enough iPhones for those in line and then they'd be out. Expecting more later in the day, but didn't know when. I also stopped by the AT&T store at Copley Sq and they had a sign up saying they were out of iPhones. The two AT&T stores on Washington St downtown were also completely out of stock.

bobbleheadbob
Jul 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
In line now. They just got another shipment in this morning. Black only (both 8 and 16 GB). No white. About a 2 hour wait at this point.

keitaro85
Jul 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
any updates?

niebeendend
Jul 15, 2008, 08:56 PM
any updates?

Just registered so I could follow this thread. It looks like stock is out in all of Mass. except for Cambridgeside in 16 GB (white and black).

Here's the screenshot from this evening (9:52PM 07/15/08):

http://lh6.ggpht.com/bensilva/SH1U1vqmG3I/AAAAAAAAAhM/N0VkGywfWy8/s800/Picture%203.png

ItalianBoston
Jul 16, 2008, 03:42 AM
All of Mass is just about out. I wonder if shipments come in everyday, does anyone know?

Acejam2k
Jul 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
All of Mass is just about out. I wonder if shipments come in everyday, does anyone know?

Stores in Mass still have them in stock.

I was just at the Apple store in Burlington, MA about 20 min ago and left because I was next in line, but they JUST ran out of black 16 gb's. They still had 8gb black and 16gb white, but I wanted a black 16gb one, so I left.

The online availability tool is not very helpful as the past two days it's said no inventory available, but Cambridgeside, Burlington, Natick, and Chestnut Hill have all had them. (just long lines) I know this because I've called each of them throughout the day depending on where I currently am.

tkidBOSTON
Jul 16, 2008, 11:53 AM

Yes, the stores receive shipments overnight and some receive more shipments again around midday.

If anyone is desperate for a phone, going to a store right at opening would be your best bet.

ItalianBoston
Jul 16, 2008, 01:31 PM
Stores in Mass still have them in stock.

I was just at the Apple store in Burlington, MA about 20 min ago and left because I was next in line, but they JUST ran out of black 16 gb's. They still had 8gb black and 16gb white, but I wanted a black 16gb one, so I left.

The online availability tool is not very helpful as the past two days it's said no inventory available, but Cambridgeside, Burlington, Natick, and Chestnut Hill have all had them. (just long lines) I know this because I've called each of them throughout the day depending on where I currently am.

I went to the Apple store in Burlington to get my 8Gb.

I was there at the exact same time you were, they announced they ran out and I saw a couple people walk out, you must have been one of them lol.

niebeendend
Jul 17, 2008, 07:27 AM
I stopped by the Boylston around 9PM last night. They had just run out of stock of the white 16GB. The rest had been sold out much earlier. The nice part was there was plenty of room in the store to breathe and check out the different models. No info on potential stock--just that it comes in every day.

berkleeboy210
Jul 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
Just called Boylston still completely sold out. according to the guy on the phone no idea when they'll get more in. heading there shortly to get a new case. hate the griffin wave case.

bobbleheadbob
Jul 17, 2008, 02:20 PM
Just called Boylston still completely sold out. according to the guy on the phone no idea when they'll get more in. heading there shortly to get a new case. hate the griffin wave case.

I was there this morning from 10-12 for a FC Pro Lab. They had iPhones in stock and had moved the line inside so that it was wrapped around on the second floor. I think they said it was a two hour wait. Not sure if they sold out, but plenty of people were still waiting when I left at Noon. :apple:

niebeendend
Jul 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
When I walked by at 8:30am, they had a sign at the front that said no 3G phones today. Maybe later in the day? I'm not sure...

Acejam2k
Jul 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
Just got back from the North Shore mall, the Peabody Apple store...

Picked up a 16gb black, was 1st in line.

I reccomend checking out the burlingon store @ about 12:30 today, in the past week they've received a shipment everyday at that time...

berkleeboy210
Jul 18, 2008, 11:33 AM
When I walked by at 8:30am, they had a sign at the front that said no 3G phones today. Maybe later in the day? I'm not sure...

They had the same sign yesterday afternoon around 3pm. though there were still people in line inside the store, maybe they had it up just so no more would join the line.

Acejam2k
Jul 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
I checked the iphone availability site after 9pm Thursday night. The Northshore mall Peabody Apple store showed all 3 models in stock.

The store opened @ 9am, but the mall didnt "open" until 10am. Got there at about 8:15, and the "mall part" of the mall (walked in by the food court) was closed off due to construction. There was a barrier, with a few people waiting. I then went to find a security guard, told him what was up, and he escorted me to the Apple store!

First in line, what what!! :)

16gb black FTW!

ApBoston77
Jul 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
Went to the Natick collection store this AM at 9:30. Line was about 15 people long. The availability tool showed they were in stock of all models. Turns out they only had 8 gb ones left. The store apparently opened at 8 am, although the Apple site says 10a opening.

The availbility tool also said Chestnut Hill had all models. I called on my cell and was told they still had 16 gb Black available. I headed over there and got there at 10a. Line was about 35 people long. This store opened at 9a (next week it opens at 8a according to an employee). Waited 1h 45m and got it. In and out of the store in 15 minutes. Employees were good at monitoring stock of phones and letting you know if you were going to get one. I was told that since most people think the stores open at 10a, if you show up at the "real" opening time the lines are very short.