PDA

View Full Version : Make best with iBook for Video Editing

ibookluv111
Jun 14, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hello. I have an iBook G4 with 768mb RAM (a 1 GB chip is in the mail :)) it's the 12" 1.2ghz model. I've been having great fun with iMovie for years now, but not with this machine because I just got it. Anyways, when trying to make a project of 243 pictures from a vacation, it took about 2 1/2 hours to export directly to iDVD and then took 5+ hours to burn it! Is this normal? I do realize I'm running low on RAM (especially being I'm running Leopard, which I forgot to mention above). What are the best ways to increase the speed without losing the quality. I don't need a whole lot more speed because I usually just let it run overnight. I am also running these projects from an external FW 120gb HD. Thanks so much for advice, input! :)

**I have both iMovie 5.x.xHD and iMovie 6.x.xHD

rhyndu
Jun 14, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hello. I have an iBook G4 with 768mb RAM (a 1 GB chip is in the mail :)) it's the 12" 1.2ghz model. I've been having great fun with iMovie for years now, but not with this machine because I just got it. Anyways, when trying to make a project of 243 pictures from a vacation, it took about 2 1/2 hours to export directly to iDVD and then took 5+ hours to burn it! Is this normal? I do realize I'm running low on RAM (especially being I'm running Leopard, which I forgot to mention above). What are the best ways to increase the speed without losing the quality. I don't need a whole lot more speed because I usually just let it run overnight. I am also running these projects from an external FW 120gb HD. Thanks so much for advice, input! :)

**I have both iMovie 5.x.xHD and iMovie 6.x.xHD

Other than the obvious "turn out the other applications" kind of stuff... it is a pretty old machine with a slow processor and not much ram and a pretty modern OS. So... buy a MacBook?

ibookluv111
Jun 14, 2008, 11:00 PM
Other than the obvious "turn out the other applications" kind of stuff... it is a pretty old machine with a slow processor and not much ram and a pretty modern OS. So... buy a MacBook?

Ok. Forgot to say that let's forget all of the 'its an old machine buy a new macbook" crap. I'm saying, I've got what I've got, so I'm looking for advice to make it the best. I'll accept that, but not everyone telling me to buy a new machine. Thank you