Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
two users, same itunes library - which is located on a separate internal drive. why is it that if one user rips a music cd into her itunes library it doesn't show up in the other until the 2nd user imports from the itunes music folder. am i missing something?

what we want is to see (and transfer to idpod) is all of the music we've both imported. if this means separate libraries so be it. it just seems that the same library solution should work smoother. anybody solve this?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
you can change the itunes music folder to be the saem one so that the files it reads are the same. it's the in itunes prefs under advanced. make the libraries for both the same place.

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
both libraries are in the same place. if user "a" rips a disk to the library, eventhough user "b" has designated the same library he must import the songs before it is read on his playlist.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
You need to make both iTunes share the same "iTunes Music Library" file. It doesn't matter that they share the same music library, thats only where the songs are kept. You need to make an alias of the "iTunes Music Library" file thats in the iTunes folder. This is the file that keeps track of all the songs. Once the two users are sharing that file, all the songs will show up.

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
Originally posted by MoparShaha
You need to make both iTunes share the same "iTunes Music Library" file. It doesn't matter that they share the same music library, thats only where the songs are kept. You need to make an alias of the "iTunes Music Library" file thats in the iTunes folder. This is the file that keeps track of all the songs. Once the two users are sharing that file, all the songs will show up.

hey thanks. this was it but for some reason the "iTunes Music Library" files had to be in the shared user area - not on the 2nd external drive. thanks again.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
I am having a similar problem with two users trying to consolidate their iTunes library. I have tried the steps outlined on this post, but I’m still missing something. Here is what I did:

1. In Preferences – Advanced, both users set the “iTunes Music” folder to be in the same location: the “Shared” folder in “Users”.
2. An alias of User-A’s “iTunes Music Library” file was placed in the “Shared” folder.

How do I have User-B access the “iTunes Music Library” file from User-A in the “Shared folder? Does User-B need to have their own “iTunes Music Library” file in the “Shared” folder and if so, will it have to have a different name?

Also, User-B no longer can import CDs to iTunes. I checked preferences and sharing was set for both users. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
why dont you guys do something like making an AppleScript to copy ONE iTunes Music Library file over to the person's ~/Music directory so you can share the same music, easily.

You cannot get two computers to share the one file, but by copying it you only have to manage one library among multiple users...simple solution :)

(thanks to DavemanDeluxe for the idea)

VladDracul

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2003
South Beach
I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it; but I had to place the "iTunes Music Library" file in a shared folder.

After that, I created soft links in the Music folder for each user pointing to the shared folder. I made sure the soft links where named "iTunes". To create the soft links, use the "ln -s" command.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Huh? Yes they do. They work quite well on my current computer. Did you forget to take the (copy) tag off the end of the alias name?

The best way to set this up is to copy one users itunes folder (with the music folder and library file) into a shared location. Then create an alias to that folder and put it in your music folder and name it iTunes. Now switch users and make an alias to the shared folder and put it in the music folder where the current iTunes folder is (copy the original folder to a shared location (not the shared itunes folder)). Now open itunes in the second users account and choose file > add to library. Select the second users moved library. Itunes should add those files to the shared library. Now both users should have access to the library. I suggest leaving a copy of alias in the shared folder so other users can quickly copy them to their accounts.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Originally posted by lasuther
I am having a similar problem with two users trying to consolidate their iTunes library. I have tried the steps outlined on this post, but I�m still missing something. Here is what I did:

1. In Preferences � Advanced, both users set the �iTunes Music� folder to be in the same location: the �Shared� folder in �Users�.
2. An alias of User-A�s �iTunes Music Library� file was placed in the �Shared� folder.

How do I have User-B access the �iTunes Music Library� file from User-A in the �Shared folder? Does User-B need to have their own �iTunes Music Library� file in the �Shared� folder and if so, will it have to have a different name?

Also, User-B no longer can import CDs to iTunes. I checked preferences and sharing was set for both users. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think the problem you're having is that user b can't access something in user a's account. The library file has to be in the shared area and the alias must be in the proper location in each users music folder. I'm pretty sure you have to create an alias to the actual library file ~/music/itunes/itunes 4 music library. Replace that file in each user's account with an alias to the shared library (file/Users/Shared/itunes/itunes/itunes 4 music library or wherever else you placed it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.