PDA

View Full Version : Chicago, IL

Pages : [1] 2

kevan
Jun 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
Michigan Ave. Who's gonna be there? Camping out this time or no?

I was at the 1st gen launch in KC and it was a hell of a time. Showed up around 6 in the morning and hung out all day it was awesome.

ThePShot
Jun 15, 2008, 01:12 AM
I went to Bayshore last year (in Milwaukee) and I'm planning on it again this year. I might... might go to Michigan Ave though.. depends on a lot of variables

nickspohn
Jun 15, 2008, 01:33 AM
WOODFIELD MALL where all the g's will be at :)

There or the AT&T store in Elgin. I have not decided.

ijerry
Jun 15, 2008, 09:25 AM
ill be at the Michigan Ave. one, but i wont be camping out ;)

:apple: iPhone 3G

gkarris
Jun 15, 2008, 09:46 AM
AT&T Store in Oak Park on Harlem?

Like last time, I won't be in line, but will be taking pics, but with my iPhone this time (instead of my Windows Mobile). ;)

ChrisSamsa
Jun 15, 2008, 11:04 AM
AT&T store in LaGrange on LaGrange Rd.. mostly because I work next door and I like buying things from my AT&T buddies.

drewfus
Jun 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
Will likely be at Woodfield...though I'm contemplating going to the store I used to work at last year at Northbrook Court. Decisions Decisions!

kevan
Jun 15, 2008, 03:45 PM
ill be at the Michigan Ave. one, but i wont be camping out ;)

:apple: iPhone 3G

thinking about it though, there maybe no need to camp out. last time, as i'm sure you know, we couldn't buy the thing until 6. they haven't said anything like that yet, so here's hoping we can go all day long.

abgould
Jun 16, 2008, 10:58 AM
I'll be camping out the Apple Store at Oak Brook Mall - same as I did last year.

pyroDcsk8er
Jun 16, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'm going to be going to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg... I have a question, though, for anyone who went there last year. Woodfield Mall as an AT&T store and an Apple store, are they going to sell it at both, or just combine the two and send AT&T employees to the Apple store?

PS. Never bough the first one so I'm kind of a noob... :D

c0mmander venus
Jun 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
So I live in Crystal Lake, meaning that Oak Brook, Woodfield, and Michigan Ave. are all within my range. Question is...where's the party going to be at?! This isn't just a product launch, it's a celebration of uniting iNerds.

jeremy.king
Jun 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
So I live in Crystal Lake, meaning that Oak Brook, Woodfield, and Michigan Ave. are all within my range. Question is...where's the party going to be at?! This isn't just a product launch, it's a celebration of uniting iNerds.

Deer Park would be the closest to me...or the AT&T store in McHenry

kevan
Jun 17, 2008, 05:46 PM

i would be all for this inerd gathering, i just don't have a car. if it isn't accessible by the cta and walking then i can't be part of the gathering, ya know unless one of you suburbanites wants to come pick up some random stranger from an online forum....

sorry i forgot to copy your name, but to the dude who said something about going to an at&t store i think the best option for any of is an apple store and not at&t, if there are shortages or anything there will be more at an apple store than at&t. plus, do you really want to camp in front of an ugly at&t place when we could camp out in front of a beautiful apple store?

iShater
Jun 17, 2008, 05:58 PM

That is a decent store, but I have been there once and I totally forgot about it! :eek:

jeremy.king
Jun 18, 2008, 09:05 AM
That is a decent store, but I have been there once and I totally forgot about it! :eek:

To be honest, I had no idea one was there until just a month ago...I've been to Schaumburg at least twice since it opened :o

iShater
Jun 18, 2008, 09:09 AM
To be honest, I had no idea one was there until just a month ago...I've been to Schaumburg at least twice since it opened :o

:eek:

Do you know about the Northbrook one too? Old Orchard? There are 4 stores within 30 miles, and 2 more within 50 miles from us up north. (rough estimates).

jeremy.king
Jun 18, 2008, 09:15 AM
:eek:

Do you know about the Northbrook one too? Old Orchard? There are 4 stores within 30 miles, and 2 more within 50 miles from us up north. (rough estimates).

Yeah, but those are a little too far east for me. I'm still holding on to hope they will open one in Gurnee someday...Heck, I'd settle for McHenry too :) Fox Lake would be ideal :eek::eek:

iShater
Jun 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah, but those are a little too far east for me. I'm still holding on to hope they will open one in Gurnee someday...Heck, I'd settle for McHenry too :) Fox Lake would be ideal :eek::eek:

You realize they won't open one in Gurnee in a million years right? :p

Maybe in that new rumored Grayslake mall. :rolleyes:

bc008
Jun 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
anyone else going to the mall in orland park?

jeremy.king
Jun 18, 2008, 09:59 AM
Maybe in that new rumored Grayslake mall. :rolleyes:

OOooo....Oooo...Where's this mall going to be? Rollins and ??? I assume?

iShater
Jun 18, 2008, 10:03 AM
OOooo....Oooo...Where's this mall going to be? Rollins and ??? I assume?

Supposedly the old county fair grounds, Rt 45 and Rt 120. They better expand them roads by then! :eek:

On Topic: Since T-Mobile isn't offering the iPhone, I won't be lining up to get one. Folks might want to make sure to say Apple Store or AT&T even when mentioning mall names, just in case. :o

thunderclap
Jun 18, 2008, 10:32 AM
AT&T Store in Oak Park on Harlem?

Like last time, I won't be in line, but will be taking pics, but with my iPhone this time (instead of my Windows Mobile). ;)

Were there a lot of people in line the last time? I'm debating about going to the AT&T store or just drive to the Oak Brook Apple Store. I won't be there opening day though as I hate lines. I'll wait until Sat. or, more likely, Sun. to pick up my phone.

gkarris
Jun 18, 2008, 01:13 PM
Were there a lot of people in line the last time? I'm debating about going to the AT&T store or just drive to the Oak Brook Apple Store. I won't be there opening day though as I hate lines. I'll wait until Sat. or, more likely, Sun. to pick up my phone.

Here's last year's line:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3847107&postcount=202

Kinda-sorta. Maybe not as long this year as it's just a new version of the same phone?

djransom
Jun 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
anyone else going to the mall in orland park?

That is my 1st choice. I went there for the very 1st time last week to grab a case for my current iPhone and I was amazed. I'll be there for launch. I'm actually taking the day off from work.

RubberShoes
Jun 22, 2008, 12:17 AM
I have this thing called T-Mobile...kind of a bugger

so yea i dont really have a point to camp out HOWEVER anybody needs a spot in line ill b glad to go there for them for 5/10 bucks. lol its summer n i dont really have anything going on that week..

either way there may be no need for lines so if not, Ill probably be around Michigan Ave just cauz its downtown n thats where the most people will be...

Benjic
Jun 22, 2008, 12:23 PM
Any Rockford folks here? I was thinking about Cherryvale Mall AT&T, but I may just go to the Michigan Ave. Store.

McCarron
Jun 24, 2008, 04:22 PM

I am probably doing Deer Park with a few friends. I did Woodfield last year, but it was just so many people there. Now with the rumored 8am launch time, Deer Park seems ever more appealing. It's right down the Lake Cook Road from me, but I always goto Woodfield, so maybe this will be a nice change of pace.

technosexual
Jun 25, 2008, 07:02 AM
I would love to do Michigan Avenue, but I am doing a boycott of all shopping downtown with the bloated tax rate of 10%.

anyone else going to the mall in orland park? That is my 1st choice.

I think I will be doing Orland Park, most likely. I'll send you a PM if I decide to go there. I would do Oak Brook Mall, but last year I kept getting kicked out by mall security and then decided to go to the AT&T store in Orland Park, as the Orland Park Apple Store wasn't open yet. (I kept getting kicked out of Oak Brook Mall because they said a line couldn't form until the mall opened. Which I don't comprehend, since it is an outdoor mall... What's the harm?)

iptib
Jun 26, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hi, everyone.
Not quite organized as of now, but iPhone, Therefore I Blog from the Chicago Tribune's RedEye will be in line at the Michigan Avenue store at whatever time Apple and AT&T declare magic hour. Some say 8 a.m., others 6 p.m. Apple, as usual, is keeping it a secret.

Anyhow, I'm not camping out, but I will be in line, Apple cap on, iPhone in one hand, camera in another. I'll also be liveblogging on the iPhone and talking to folks.

The blog is at http://www.redeyechicago.com/iphoneblog and there's already a posting asking people where they will be that morning, so feel free to enter your information at this link: http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iphoneblog/2008/06/july-11-questio.html

Hope to see/meet some of you there.

Scott Kleinberg
Editor
iPTIB
redeyechicago.com/iphoneblog

gkarris
Jun 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
I would love to do Michigan Avenue, but I am doing a boycott of all shopping downtown with the bloated tax rate of 10%.

The extra fuel Daley used to bull-doze Meigs Field... :mad:

I think I will be doing Orland Park, most likely. I'll send you a PM if I decide to go there. I would do Oak Brook Mall, but last year I kept getting kicked out by mall security and then decided to go to the AT&T store in Orland Park, as the Orland Park Apple Store wasn't open yet. (I kept getting kicked out of Oak Brook Mall because they said a line couldn't form until the mall opened. Which I don't comprehend, since it is an outdoor mall... What's the harm?)

The mall is still private property - so those are their rules. Maybe they'll make an exception if the phone goes on sale in the morning first thing instead of the evening...

akazmucha
Jun 27, 2008, 03:38 PM
I am debating between downtown or a suburb store. Which ones have lower than the Michigan Ave store's tax rate? Is orland park lower? If so, what's that tax rate?

bc008
Jun 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
urgh looks like im stuck up north.. my family in Chicago is busy and i cant come stay with them in Orland.. i dunno what im doing now

kevhed007
Jul 1, 2008, 09:18 AM
Ok, forgive me as this may be a little off topic AND my first post on this awesome site. Are we really expecting the crowds like there were for the initial launch? There are a lot of factors I've been weighing. The price tag will obviously draw a lot of attention. But will the fact that it has to be activated deter the people that want to buy it and sell it? I guess I'm looking for opinions from fellow Chicagoans as to how high the demand will be. Assuming a 6 pm launch on Friday...will 5:30 pm on Friday be good or even Saturday? I know to GUARANTEE a phone the easy answer is 5:30 AM. I don't mind waiting in line for a little bit, but I'm not one to camp out. I also don't want to have to wait 6 weeks to finally get one...I've been putting this off for 4 months since the rumor mill started about the 3g.

And I plan on going to either to ATT in Oak Lawn or Evergreen Park.

jeremy.king
Jul 1, 2008, 09:47 AM
Just stopped by the Deer Park store last night. Pretty nice.

Should have thought to ask what kind of crowd they expect and how they plan to help existing customers since I don't know whether to try the Apple Store or an AT&T store.

c0mmander venus
Jul 2, 2008, 12:54 PM
I didn't even know Deer Park had an apple store! It's about the same distance from me as Woodfield, potentially even a little shorter. I've only been there once or twice though, but I do remember it being nice. I'm leaning much more towards that now.

QUESTION: Maybe there's a better place to ask, but if I'm an existing AT&T customer on a different phone and contract (yes...I'm buckling down and paying $499 :( ) will I still be able to purchase at the Apple Store? Or would I be better off going to the AT&T store..?

iFan
Jul 2, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'm an employee at the Highland Park AT&T store :) Huge mac fan here. Will definitely be working that night if anyone is on line at my store! The Northbrook court Apple store also happens to be about 2 minutes down the road (but with cook county taxes!)

bc008
Jul 2, 2008, 10:41 PM
(but with cook county taxes!)

i learned this the hard way a while back lol

djransom
Jul 2, 2008, 11:21 PM
Ok, forgive me as this may be a little off topic AND my first post on this awesome site. Are we really expecting the crowds like there were for the initial launch? There are a lot of factors I've been weighing. The price tag will obviously draw a lot of attention. But will the fact that it has to be activated deter the people that want to buy it and sell it? I guess I'm looking for opinions from fellow Chicagoans as to how high the demand will be. Assuming a 6 pm launch on Friday...will 5:30 pm on Friday be good or even Saturday? I know to GUARANTEE a phone the easy answer is 5:30 AM. I don't mind waiting in line for a little bit, but I'm not one to camp out. I also don't want to have to wait 6 weeks to finally get one...I've been putting this off for 4 months since the rumor mill started about the 3g.

And I plan on going to either to ATT in Oak Lawn or Evergreen Park.

My parents live in Evergreen Park near 95th and Kedzie. There is a nice AT&T Store near 95th Cicero. I may end up going to the AT&T store on 95th & Western.

djransom
Jul 7, 2008, 09:47 PM
Since we now know that ALL Apple & AT&T stores will be opening @ 8AM, where will eveyone go?

McCarron
Jul 7, 2008, 11:40 PM
I know me and about 3-4 other friends are going early to Oakbrook. Anyone have experience about getting there really early for a morning opening? I know it's an outdoor mall, so not sure quite how it works there.

jeremy.king
Jul 8, 2008, 09:09 AM
Since we now know that ALL Apple & AT&T stores will be opening @ 8AM, where will eveyone go?

I'm pretty sure I'm hitting an AT&T Store (McHenry) because we are adding lines, porting numbers, and upgrading to Family Plan...

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 09:51 AM
If I buy my phone in a store in Chicago can they give me a Peoria number or will it have to be a Chicago number??

technosexual
Jul 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
The extra fuel Daley used to bull-doze Meigs Field... :mad:

The mall is still private property - so those are their rules. Maybe they'll make an exception if the phone goes on sale in the morning first thing instead of the evening...

I still miss Meigs. :( I remember sitting out and watching the little planes take off and land. It was awesome. *sigh*

Yeah, that's why I didn't even put up a fight, I just ended up leaving for an AT&T store in Orland Park (Orland Apple Store wasn't open yet). I hope they'll reconsider, cause I'd like to go here most of all. Let me know if you hear anything/plan on going.

ninethirty
Jul 8, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm trying to decide if I even need to line up at Michigan Ave. Sounds like they're gonna have plenty of stock and I took Friday off work. What does everyone think? Show up a few hours early, or show up later in the day?

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
I'm going to the ATT store on Milwaukee in Niles. Anyone else??

meagain
Jul 10, 2008, 10:49 AM
What time are you all getting to the Michigan Ave store?

ninethirty
Jul 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
Sometime around 2am I think..

What time are you all getting to the Michigan Ave store?

djransom
Jul 10, 2008, 01:03 PM
I'm trying to decide if I even need to line up at Michigan Ave. Sounds like they're gonna have plenty of stock and I took Friday off work. What does everyone think? Show up a few hours early, or show up later in the day?

Honestly I would rather go early in the day so I wouldn't have to deal with the traffic downtown in the afternoon especially on a Friday it can get hectic down here.

ninethirty
Jul 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I live and work downtown... it gets bad, but not so bad that I can't handle it. I'll probably go get drunk tonight with some friends and bring a chair to the store around 1 or 2. Sit down, sleep, buy my phone and enjoy my day off tomorrow :)

Honestly I would rather go early in the day so I wouldn't have to deal with the traffic downtown in the afternoon especially on a Friday it can get hectic down here.

jeremy.king
Jul 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
So apparently you can't port out of market phone numbers to Family plans? I learned this last night when Upgrading to Family plan and tried to port a MN number to our account based in IL and they said they can't. Anyone else experience this lately? Sprint had no problems doing this.

djransom
Jul 10, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I live and work downtown... it gets bad, but not so bad that I can't handle it. I'll probably go get drunk tonight with some friends and bring a chair to the store around 1 or 2. Sit down, sleep, buy my phone and enjoy my day off tomorrow :)

Not a bad idea. I work downtown as well, matter of fact I'm here now, but I'm thinking about going to the Michigan Ave store and then heading to work. Decisions decisions :eek:

jeremy.king
Jul 10, 2008, 03:51 PM
So how long until the "Apple iPhone costs companies millions in lost productivity on iLaunch 2.0 day" stories hit the web?

djransom
Jul 10, 2008, 04:04 PM
So how long until the "Apple iPhone costs companies millions in lost productivity on iLaunch 2.0 day" stories hit the web?

:D

ninethirty
Jul 10, 2008, 04:22 PM
You know if there's anyone there already?

Not a bad idea. I work downtown as well, matter of fact I'm here now, but I'm thinking about going to the Michigan Ave store and then heading to work. Decisions decisions :eek:

tocheeba
Jul 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
anyone know if anyone is waiting at the woodfield store already? its raining outside, so i'll be pissed if people are camping out already. I dont want to sit in the ****ing rain because some noobs cant wait til like 5am

djransom
Jul 10, 2008, 05:24 PM
You know if there's anyone there already?

Now that I don't know. Honestly I wouldn't want to sit out there right now considering the fact that it is raining.

Clyde099
Jul 10, 2008, 06:32 PM
I'm debating whether I should go early to the Michigan Ave. store. I need to be at work by 9:30. Or I could go during lunch or after work. Hmmm....

meagain
Jul 10, 2008, 07:40 PM
Since I'm on a family plan with my husband and he's the account holder, Apple says I can't buy one from them. Lovely.

Hence - I'm out. Can't go. Yes I'm pissed.

tocheeba
Jul 10, 2008, 07:50 PM
this is a lot 'lighter' than it really is - its really dark outside. theres no way in hell im lining up in this ****!

and yeah, this picture is REALLY light....cuz its REALLY dark outside. Pouring rain outside, and severe thunderstorm warnings

http://iiox.com/other/6.Other/iphoneweather.jpg

ninethirty
Jul 10, 2008, 08:13 PM
I live right downtown... 15 minute walk from the Apple Store, and AT&T on State St and the weather is so horrendous right now, there's no way I'm going outside in this either. Weather.com says it isn't gonna let up until about 5am... I just hope others react the same way. I'd hate to get in a giant lineup at 5.

meagain
Jul 10, 2008, 08:14 PM
Really coming down here by Oak Brook. Nasty. Windy & chilly too.

I just called the Michigan Ave store. They are open till Midnight :) Guess they must be planning on tons of stock.

pcorrado
Jul 10, 2008, 08:34 PM
Since I'm on a family plan with my husband and he's the account holder, Apple says I can't buy one from them. Lovely.

Hence - I'm out. Can't go. Yes I'm pissed.

I just called the Apple store and I explained that I am in the same situation, I also mentioned that I am an authorized user to make changes on the account and they to be sure that I bring all the account information, the social of the main user, my social, and DL and I should be fine.

jeremy.king
Jul 10, 2008, 08:39 PM
I know it's not quite in Chicago area, but I stopped at the AT&T Store in New Berlin, WI around 7PM tonight and people have already started camping. I took their picture but didn't get their names. They seemed pretty excited and had I no family, I would have joined them. Sorry for the crappy quality, its from my Mogul.

meagain
Jul 10, 2008, 08:51 PM
Pcorrado - Which Apple store did you call that said this?

King - That's a cute picture!

djransom
Jul 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm currently at home and I just heard thunder so I will be chilling until the wee hours of the morning.

macintouch
Jul 10, 2008, 09:10 PM
I'm going to be at the AT&T store on the 9700 block of Skokie Blvd in Skokie.

I don't know if I'm gonna be the only idiot there or if there will be a line. I assume a lot of people will be going to Old Orchard since it's right there...?

pcorrado
Jul 10, 2008, 10:03 PM
Pcorrado - Which Apple store did you call that said this?

King - That's a cute picture!

Old Orchard - Spoke with David

pcorrado
Jul 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
I'm going to be at the AT&T store on the 9700 block of Skokie Blvd in Skokie.

I don't know if I'm gonna be the only idiot there or if there will be a line. I assume a lot of people will be going to Old Orchard since it's right there...?

if this authorized user thing is true i may stop by there instead - I am planning of heading out at around 5 so there will be at least two of us

xerenthar
Jul 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
15 idiots with umbrellas outside now.

ON EDIT: why would you want a 309 number? move out of that ******** :)

callmemike20
Jul 10, 2008, 11:22 PM
I live in the loop and the lightning is really bad and it's raining. I was planning for the past month to camp out at the apple store, but I just found out that I needed to go to an ATT store to set up a business contract. What bs... I wanted the feel of an apple store.

orangeillini14
Jul 10, 2008, 11:28 PM
If I was going to get one... I would go to Woodfield. :P

macintouch
Jul 10, 2008, 11:35 PM
if this authorized user thing is true i may stop by there instead - I am planning of heading out at around 5 so there will be at least two of us

damn, i hope i don't get on the bandwagon too late. i won't be there till at least 9:30-10:00am.

xerenthar
Jul 10, 2008, 11:38 PM
i am thinking of hopping on a bus at 7am.

ninethirty
Jul 11, 2008, 12:01 AM
Make me idiot #20 then. There are officially 23 people in line at Michigan Ave Apple.

15 idiots with umbrellas outside now.

ON EDIT: why would you want a 309 number? move out of that ******** :)

themadchemist
Jul 11, 2008, 12:10 AM
Just walked by the downtown Apple Store on the way home from studying (around 11:45 PM CST). Saw a few people camped out there (any of you guys?) and a few Apple Store employees handing out water bottles to the faithful. People were cheering, "Yeah, water!" and I thought it all seemed very strange. If I had time, I guess I might go hang out there, too, but alas, I must now go study some more...

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 12:31 AM
Make me idiot #20 then. There are officially 23 people in line at Michigan Ave Apple.

How cool. Keep us updated.

ninethirty
Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
Sure thing, here's a photo!

How cool. Keep us updated.

xerenthar
Jul 11, 2008, 12:55 AM
i wonder how many they have....

steinbch
Jul 11, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm 14th in line right now at Deer Park. Lake County sales tax and all. AT&T store on Dundee and Arlington Heights Rd. had no one as of 12:30 A.M.

djransom
Jul 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
I just drove past 2 AT&T stores, one on 95th and Western and the other near 95th and Cicero and there was not a soul in site outside. I'm back home now. I'll chill till about 430 or 5. I'm only about 15 minutes away from both spots.

xerenthar
Jul 11, 2008, 03:13 AM
Sure thing, here's a photo!

any update

Rybold
Jul 11, 2008, 03:29 AM
Check availability here:

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html

xerenthar
Jul 11, 2008, 03:56 AM
there are no #s though.

ScottEK
Jul 11, 2008, 03:57 AM
Just got kicked out of the Oak Brook Apple Store. Security and Apple Store employees confirmed that we are not allowed on Mall property until 6AM. They have the rope up but they are actively kicking people off the property as they approach the store.

If anyone wants to meet up we'll be at Denny's until 5:30 AM.

Hodapp
Jul 11, 2008, 04:13 AM
Jerks just kicked my group of friends out of Oakbrook. The 6 AM line is official. Back to Denny's!

djransom
Jul 11, 2008, 05:35 AM
I'm currently at the AT&T store near 95th and Cicero in Oak Lawn. Its 3 of us here now. Got me some Starbucks and a Sun Times and I'm good for the next couple of hours :D

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 06:27 AM
Any updates on the Michigan Ave. line (approx. how many in line)?

ninethirty
Jul 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
About 100 probably. Not nearly as bad as last year.

Any updates on the Michigan Ave. line (approx. how many in line)?

steffi
Jul 11, 2008, 07:06 AM
Can anybody say how long that line is right now? It's raining outside and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the while going before work.

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 07:08 AM
About 100 probably. Not nearly as bad as last year.

Thanks! Don't know if I should head out now.

whoami
Jul 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
the line at north michigan ave. is at least 2X longer than last year...
it was about 4-5 blocks at 7:30. going to try again later! ;)

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 08:52 AM
I'm going to wait until about 11AM. Can you guys keep us updated on the line, please?

djransom
Jul 11, 2008, 08:53 AM
I just got back home from the AT&T store and it was a pleasant experience until iTunes gets hammered and now it's taking a long time for activation. I'm @ home now waiting for it to finish accessing the iTunes store. Everybody in the store had the same problem except for one rep who managed to get through successfully. I may be a little late for work today.

themadchemist
Jul 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
Even the AT&T store on East Chicago (just West of American Girl Place) has a line of around ~50 people...Just walked by it on the way to studying (I guess that's my one theme in life). American Girl Place line is also unusually long--a lot of dads buying their daughters dolls for making them wait in the line at the Apple Store first?

Correction: There is no Apple Store on East Chicago. I'm losing my mind. I meant AT&T store.

Keyhole
Jul 11, 2008, 09:08 AM
Any word from the Woodfield Mall Apple store or the AT&T in Schaumburg?

meagain
Jul 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
Oak brook - disaster. First 15 peeps still in store. An hour and 35 after opening. Tech down. Can't process anyone.

1:36 later not. One sale

bd24627
Jul 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
Any updated reports on availability at AT&T stores in the loop?

gkarris
Jul 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
AT&T, Harlem Ave., Oak Park, IL.

I stopped by at 7:45 am this morning. The line was twice as long as last year. People starting going in at 8am, and since you can't just walk in, buy, and walk out, the line was going much, much slower.

1st in liners got there at 1 am! :eek:
EDIT: Posted Pics (this time, pics taken with my iPhone! :) )

thunderclap
Jul 11, 2008, 10:12 AM
Any updated reports on availability at AT&T stores in the loop?

The AT&T stores on Chicago and on Monroe both have lines wrapping around the block. I don't like waiting in line so I'll probably have to wait until next week to get a phone. Oh well...

bd24627
Jul 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
The AT&T stores on Chicago and on Monroe both have lines wrapping around the block. I don't like waiting in line so I'll probably have to wait until next week to get a phone. Oh well...

Saw that this morning on Monroe, but was hoping that things were easing up a bit as the day was going on, and I could sneak out this afternoon sometime.
Oh well, guess I'll wait a few days . . .

ScottEK
Jul 11, 2008, 10:26 AM
I was 20th in line. It's been 3 hours, I'm posting this from a computer in the Apple Oak Brook IL store. They have sold 4 phones today. Not only is the iTunes system for activation down, which is also bricking home users phones, BUT their payment verification system is also down. All the original people who entered the store are still in here.

The outside line of 350 people has not moved in 3 hours. When their systems were working nearly every customer was getting turned away because their system said their accounts could only be upgraded at an AT&T store.

meagain
Jul 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
Scott and its damn hot out! We are insane for being here. They'll be open till midnight. Battery during

ibrainch
Jul 11, 2008, 11:31 AM
they are taking pre-orders but not shipping for 5-7 days... apple store is probably best bet...

phatcat
Jul 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
I was 20th in line. It's been 3 hours, I'm posting this from a computer in the Apple Oak Brook IL store. They have sold 4 phones today. Not only is the iTunes system for activation down, which is also bricking home users phones, BUT their payment verification system is also down. All the original people who entered the store are still in here.

The outside line of 350 people has not moved in 3 hours. When their systems were working nearly every customer was getting turned away because their system said their accounts could only be upgraded at an AT&T store.

I can see the mac vs. Vista ads turning around!

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
Any one at the State or Chicago AT&T?

tenaciousd33
Jul 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
Anyone have any updates for the following stores?

- Apple Store on Michigan
- ATT Store on Monroe
- ATT Store on Canal

Thanks!

drewfus
Jul 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
still in line here at Northbrook Court. Been here since 7:45. Joy. Almost at the door though!

Keyhole
Jul 11, 2008, 12:35 PM
still in line here at Northbrook Court. Been here since 7:45. Joy. Almost at the door though!

So the people that have been at Apple stores since this morning and the lines are moving...are there still a ton of people showing up and getting in line?

tenaciousd33
Jul 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
No Michigan Ave store updates??? Is everyone still sitting in line there or something?

whoami
Jul 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
i stopped by north michigan ave. around 11:30.. there were about 400 people in line and it wasn't moving... but they're open until midnight tonight! ;)

crowdedstr
Jul 11, 2008, 01:08 PM
No Michigan Ave store updates??? Is everyone still sitting in line there or something?

I walked past just before noon... it was still a zoo. People that were entering at that time said they had been there since about 7am.

The line stretched north of the store to Huron, then east... and people were still lined up on the opposite side of St. Clair.

Not sure about AT&T on State now, but when I got off the train this morning, the line went at least to Dearborn via an alley just north of the store.

tenaciousd33
Jul 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
Holy crap... well, so much for getting an iphone today I guess.

Thanks for the updates.

drewfus
Jul 11, 2008, 01:24 PM
So the people that have been at Apple stores since this morning and the lines are moving...are there still a ton of people showing up and getting in line?

The lines have been stopping intermittently, due to the server problems that AT&T/Apple have been experiencing. For the last hour and half or so, it's moved fairly smoothly.

There are new people joining the line, though there doesn't seem to be a huge rush of people...just a few people every couple of minutes getting in line.

chrisobcr
Jul 11, 2008, 01:37 PM
I work in the loop, so I just took a cab up to the Mich Ave Apple Store and hopped out to check it out. I went around the corner of the store and saw a line that went 2, maybe 3 blocks east, towards the lake. I asked a guy that was just around the corner from the front door how long he had been waiting, and he said since 7:30. There were news cameras, gawkers, etc... Craziness! So all in all, a waste of a cab for me, since I was only on my lunch break from work (..I would have gladly waited otherwise :) ).

Oh, and the Franklin & Monroe store is completely sold out! Next stop, Oakbrook... when I'm back in the burbs after work. Wish me luck!

deeforce
Jul 11, 2008, 01:43 PM
Was a JOKE! Arrived at 7am to a sizable line (I was about 70th). Black 16gigs were gone after about 10 people getting phones. Whites were right behind it. Finally at around 10:15 they announced a total sell-out. Apparently they had an inventory of MAYBE 50 phones. Employee came out and fed us all with misinformation stating that if we remained in line and still ordered, we'd essentially get first dibs on the next shipment. Truth, of course, is if you order you can wait up to ten days or PAY (after waiting in line for 3.5 hours) to get your phone quicker. Called the Apple store on Michigan Ave who warned us of long lines but promised us "plenty of stock" and that they're open until midnight and "expect to be selling phones until then."

Ultimately walked away from AT&T empty-handed. MAY scoot downtown a little later. If not, first thing tomorrow morning. Yeah, I want one now. But I'm so damn tired from being up at 6.30 that I'm starting to not care. I think I just want a beer instead...

eme jota ce
Jul 11, 2008, 01:49 PM
I arrived at the Diversey AT&T at 7:30 and was the 90th person in line. By 8:00, I was in the middle of the line of 180. By the time I made it to the 40th spot in line at 9:45, AT&T was totally sold out. (16GB blacks were sold out first, then 16GB whites, then 8GB blacks).

AT&T staff who ventured outside into the very long line that stretched through the alley offered no useful information to well prepared customers (number of units delivered to their stock, etc) until they announced that they were sold out and would allow those customers still in line to place orders that would be filled in (estimated) 7 days. Placing orders were still subject to "one iPhone per customer" rule.

tenaciousd33
Jul 11, 2008, 02:24 PM
Just walked down to the ATT store on Monroe to see if maybe they got an afternoon shipment. There were 3 people in line outside the store, and nobody was saying anything about stock, so I jumped in line to see.

Out of stock, but the funny thing was, after 2 minutes in line, another 15 people were waiting behind me.

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
Walked past the Michigan Ave. store about half an hour ago. Line almost reached corner of Huron and St. Claire.

Went to the AT&T store on Chicago and they were sold out.

Warbrain
Jul 11, 2008, 02:33 PM
Walked past the Michigan Ave. store about half an hour ago. Line almost reached corner of Huron and St. Claire.

Went to the AT&T store on Chicago and they were sold out.

Good to know. I've got someone in line buying themselves a new one so I can by their old one.

whoami
Jul 11, 2008, 02:55 PM
AT&T on state is sold out..
I'm just gonna try late night tonight or in the AM at NMA.

iShater
Jul 11, 2008, 03:01 PM

Are you still at NB? I am here in the store right now. :D

jbon2389
Jul 11, 2008, 03:07 PM
Are you still at NB? I am here in the store right now. :D

How is it looking there? I was thinking about heading over there now...

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 03:07 PM
AT&T on state is sold out..
I'm just gonna try late night tonight or in the AM at NMA.

Are you going to try State again? Did they say they when they would get more in stock?

iShater
Jul 11, 2008, 03:08 PM
How is it looking there? I was thinking about heading over there now...

around 20 or so in line.

gkarris
Jul 11, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm stopping off at Oak Brook Mall on the way home from work just to check things out and will update if they still have any stock...

polymac
Jul 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
ATT store telephone lines are so busy that they don't even get a busy signal - just a message saying that you can cannot be connected and "Please try you call later". The ATT deep in the South-Side at 8658 Cottage Grove had a line this morning and it officially sold out. They MAY be getting more stock tomorrow but they weren't sure.

aerolith
Jul 11, 2008, 03:39 PM
any updates on mich ave? i was thinking of heading over after work.

thunderclap
Jul 11, 2008, 03:42 PM
Saw that this morning on Monroe, but was hoping that things were easing up a bit as the day was going on, and I could sneak out this afternoon sometime.
Oh well, guess I'll wait a few days . . .

I tried the AT&T store in Oak Park, where I live, and they were sold out. I was told I could wait in line and be put on a waiting list after an initial credit check. I didn't feel like waiting an hour to do that so I ran around and did some errands and went back at 3pm. No lines. Walked right up to the counter and am now on a waiting list. Should have the phone by early to mid next week. And, after hearing about the initial server problems, I don't really mind. Let those kinks get worked out before I switch over my only line of communication with my clients. :)

iShater
Jul 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
The line now has over 80 ppl in it!! 20 just IN the store itself. :eek:

AFAIK, they are not out of any of them, but folks be careful when you give your SSN and stuff, the place is packed and EVERYBODY can hear it, your name, etc. :(

RubberShoes
Jul 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
i was just at woodfield and the line is still wayy out the door but its all inside so if you're planning to go that might b a good place to get out of the heat

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
Any Michigan Ave. updates? Thinking of going at 9PM tonight.

Went to the State St. store and they were, of course, sold out.
However, I took advantage of my trip by removing my FAN account/thing.

eme jota ce
Jul 11, 2008, 06:19 PM
Any Michigan Ave. updates? Thinking of going at 9PM tonight.

Went to the State St. store and they were, of course, sold out.
However, I took advantage of my trip by removing me FAN account/thing.

Looking for a Mich Ave update, too. I'll bring beer to anyone who will hold me a place in line... ;)

Also, does the Apple store limit the number of phones a person can buy? I'd like to buy two phones while my lovin' wife stays home with the kids. (Kind of seems like she should get an iPhone, too, right. But, hiring a baby sitter in Chicago would really increase the real cost of the phones if we both have to stand in line.)

Clyde099
Jul 11, 2008, 06:35 PM
FYI:

Chicago:
Apple store on Michigan, 7:34pm ET (updated 3): Line is GROWING (!), approaching 6 hours, Apple still says "we have enough supply to meet the demand." Lines have been cut off for the night so the store can close at midnight. [Thanks, Dan and Neil]

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/11/iphone-activation-servers-back-online-stock-updates-from-around/

xerenthar
Jul 11, 2008, 07:06 PM
I timed this right. I went at 12:34PM and got in around 4PM, was out by 4:45PM. Employee told me the people who had been there since 5/6AM were just leaving at 3PM due to activation issues. It was all worked out for us though. Yay!

aerolith
Jul 11, 2008, 07:25 PM
im considering doing a recon run despite that report cause it seems odd that the line would grow that long unless people were waiting until they got out of work or something... i donno.

anyone have more recent data to save me the walk in this crappy humidity?

macintouch
Jul 11, 2008, 09:07 PM
Got my iPhone!

I arrived to Old Orchard Apple @ about 9:20am. Waited till about 4pm till I got inside. The inside wait was about 45 minutes, including sitting in a chair for a bit and cooling off, choosing a phone, plan and accessories, and checking out.

The in-store activation is a big bottleneck, as everyone has been saying...but when it's working properly it's really not that bad.

I have thorough sunburn on my face and neck (doh! forgot sunscreen), and sore feet, but all in all it was worth it.

Oh and also, there was a very annoying man in a blue shirt trying to sell everyone hamburgers and energy drinks. He was a bit loud...to say the least...

Anyways, another iDay done successfully. :D

aerolith
Jul 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

just cheched out mich ave. As the site says they do have stock but they closed early due to activation in progress.

aerolith
Jul 12, 2008, 10:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

probably 2+ hour line at old orchard.

How's mich ave looking?

steffi
Jul 12, 2008, 11:16 AM
long lines at mich ave today

probably 2+ hour line at old orchard.

How's mich ave looking?

jbon2389
Jul 12, 2008, 01:25 PM
Any word from the Northbrook apple store?

xerenthar
Jul 12, 2008, 01:46 PM
Michigan Avenue phone call reports 5+ hours.

ON EDIT: Deer Park has line of 25 people, but now SOLD OUT of 16GB.

aerolith
Jul 12, 2008, 01:47 PM

just checked out mich ave, line goes around the corner.

Clyde099
Jul 12, 2008, 06:27 PM
Got my phone at Michigan Ave. around 2.
Took an hour and a half.

Silverstring
Jul 12, 2008, 06:57 PM
Got my phone at Michigan Ave. around 2.
Took an hour and a half.

An hour and a half once you got in? Or an hour and a half total(from getting in line to walking out with the thing activated)?

ninethirty
Jul 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
My girl got to Michigan Ave at 9am this morning and we walked out with her phone at about 1. Took quite a while...

An hour and a half once you got in? Or an hour and a half total(from getting in line to walking out with the thing activated)?

Clyde099
Jul 12, 2008, 07:49 PM

An hour and a half total. Got in line @ about 220ish. Got out 350ish.

BrightestBear
Jul 12, 2008, 08:33 PM
So I'm contemplating driving to one of the Chicago-area Apple stores tomorrow from downstate Illinois if the Apple website tonight indicates that any of them have white 16 GBs available. Am I crazy? Were the lines out of control today? Were the supplies getting low? I've read lots of different reports about the Chicago Apple stores scattered across different threads, but I'm coming to this centralized spot to see if anybody has any advice about whether I should save myself the time and gas money if it's going to be a zoo and/or sold out tomorrow.

Don't know if anybody can help, but I thought I'd ask ...

hancock
Jul 12, 2008, 10:17 PM
how long do you guys think until the lines at apple stores in the chicago area die down? I can't go until they do because my mom won't wait in a line.

Benjic
Jul 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
how long do you guys think until the lines at apple stores in the chicago area die down? I can't go until they do because my mom won't wait in a line.

Tell her to make you an authorized user, I have an account in my father's name and I purchased mine no questions asked. Course I waited in line for 12 hours and there was no way I was leaving with no phone.

ninethirty
Jul 13, 2008, 11:06 AM
any lines down at michigan ave today?

mikeshir
Jul 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
So I'm contemplating driving to one of the Chicago-area Apple stores tomorrow from downstate Illinois if the Apple website tonight indicates that any of them have white 16 GBs available. Am I crazy? Were the lines out of control today? Were the supplies getting low? I've read lots of different reports about the Chicago Apple stores scattered across different threads, but I'm coming to this centralized spot to see if anybody has any advice about whether I should save myself the time and gas money if it's going to be a zoo and/or sold out tomorrow.

Don't know if anybody can help, but I thought I'd ask ...

I bought a black 16G from the Michigan Ave store yesterday. About 2.5 hours in line (from 4:30pm to 7pm). When I called them they said "2 to 3 hours" so I guess you can trust their estimates. They said that they still had plenty of all models in stock. If anything lines should be even shorter today. Try calling some of the stores that still have white 16s but out of black 16s - lines might be even shorter there. They all answer their phones (hit "5" in the main menu) and give updates on both stock and lines outside.

eme jota ce
Jul 13, 2008, 06:50 PM
Just under two hours from the time I entered the line until I had ben approved for purchase of two iPhones, transferred numbers from Sprint, and was walking down the glass stairs toward Michigan Ave.

steffi
Jul 13, 2008, 07:11 PM
Well you had to go to the activation station at the bottom of the stairs right :-)

Just under two hours from the time I entered the line until I had ben approved for purchase of two iPhones, transferred numbers from Sprint, and was walking down the glass stairs toward Michigan Ave.

xerenthar
Jul 13, 2008, 08:46 PM
^ activate at home ftw

steffi
Jul 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
Well what happened to the notion that you couldn't walk out the store with an unactivated phone?

When I asked about whether I had to do that they said yes it was needed but it sounds to me as though it's only needed if you actually wanted to make calls on the phone immediately after leaving the store.

^ activate at home ftw

BrightestBear
Jul 13, 2008, 09:01 PM
It took five hours, but I left Oakbrook with two white 16 GBs, just what I'd gone there to buy. I'm sunburned but happy!

meagain
Jul 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
Brightest - Are you saying you were in line 5 hours TODAY?

Why is Oak Brook taking longer than other stores? Or is that incorrect?

BrightestBear
Jul 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
Five hours is correct, and I wasn't even the end of the line. There was at least another hour's worth behind me. I didn't intend to wait that long, but once you've waited two hours, it seems silly to walk away at that point.

No idea why they're taking so long. It was a madhouse in there, though.

macintouch
Jul 13, 2008, 09:37 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the activation completed on the EasyPay when you purchase the phone?

I thought the only reason it's connected through iTunes is so it just simply tethers to your computer?

I'm just confused, that's all.

meagain
Jul 13, 2008, 10:38 PM
Mac - IDK what's going on. When I bought mine after 6+ hours in line, all they did was scan the box with the gadget, take my phone number and the social of my husband (acct. holder on our family plan). Didn't open the box, etc. My 2g iPhone instantly died at that time. The staffer told me it was basically activated (to the point it was linked to AT&T which I thought was the ONLY point to all this BS).

The Friday evening staff & line opened the boxes and did the 2nd step and it continues. Are ALL Chicago area stores opening the boxes to tether and jump through hoops also or is it just mostly Oak Brook?

outputlevel
Jul 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
just walked by the mich ave store. 3 hour wait was what the door woman said. i kept walking.

crowdedstr
Jul 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
Are any of you other Chicagoans disappointed in the speed of the 3g network? At first I was thinking maybe it was a localized issue, but reading in the troubleshooting forum, it sounds like people in large cities all across the US have been experiencing unacceptably low data transfer speeds on the 3g network.

trs23
Jul 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
Still 3 hours at michigan ave. The line goes to the alley behind the store.

eme jota ce
Jul 14, 2008, 03:43 PM
Well you had to go to the activation station at the bottom of the stairs right :-)

Very true. The 14 year old looking Apple employee activated both very quickly (less than two minutes?)

After that I was slowed by the North wind as I rode home along the lake front. ;)

crowdedstr
Jul 14, 2008, 04:54 PM
Still 3 hours at michigan ave. The line goes to the alley behind the store.

It should be shorter than 3 hours from that alley... unless the apple store has less staff than they did yesterday (doubtful).

Took me about 1:15 from the alley yesterday to have the phone purchased, activated, and out the door. I got there at 10am, store opened at 11, out the door by 12:20 or so.

trs23
Jul 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
I walked over there with a guy from work.

Left him at the alley at 1:15. At 5pm I got a text that he was walking inside and getting into another line.

I think they reduced staff quite a bit.

hancock
Jul 14, 2008, 09:22 PM
is the apple store downtown staying open any longer than usual or is it back to normal hours by now. Also if any of you guys experienced short lines at a certain time of day (i have noticed some saying the waited just over an hour while others are waiting five) feel free to share the times.:D

Warbrain
Jul 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Appears that this is the only store in Illinois with all 3 models of the iPhone...

Northbrook still has 8 GB iPhones, though...everyone else is sold out.

meagain
Jul 14, 2008, 10:44 PM
It's getting a bit tireing/rough. I still have faith the stores will get shipments tomorrow. Just not sure which ones. I'm going to be trying Oak Brook again. These lines have to stop some day - right? Maybe?

wowok1234
Jul 15, 2008, 08:04 AM
It is 8am and the lines are much better than what they were over the weekend. There are 15 or so people in front of me. Hopefully the activation servers will be a little less fussy today and evryone can get in and out quickly.

meagain
Jul 15, 2008, 08:08 AM
wowok - are you at Mich. Ave or Oak Brook? They open at 9a - yes? Thanks for updating.

wowok1234
Jul 15, 2008, 08:36 AM
I am at north Michigan ave. I was at oakbrook on Saturday and was #40 in line. Then I discovered my wallet was missing and had to leave the line. I was pissed.

The store opens at 9. Since my last posting the line has added 25 people or so and is about to approach northwestern hospital.

There is a faint aroma of horse poop in the air.

meagain
Jul 15, 2008, 08:39 AM
So 40 people with the store opening in 20 minutes and basically no stock in the suburban stores. Good news indeed. There is hope!

Warbrain
Jul 15, 2008, 08:44 AM
There is a faint aroma of horse poop in the air.

The lovely smells of the Mag Mile...tourism at it's worst.

wowok1234
Jul 15, 2008, 09:05 AM
the store just opened and they let a group of seven people from the line in the store

Edit: another group was let in and now I'm #1 in front.

mac jones
Jul 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
The lovely smells of the Mag Mile...tourism at it's worst.

What?

Oh yes, people so excited they do goofy romantic things is a laughable joke.

Let's just pray that the tourists keep coming in the next few years and that those horses don't sit in some stall unused.

wowok1234
Jul 15, 2008, 09:48 AM
Update: I have since been ushered upstairs to the iPod bar where they do the transactions. There are five people with an associate and another five waiting for one. So far the process takes 20-30 minutes per person in my estimates - better than during the weekend but still short of the 10-15 minutes figure presented by ron Johnson.

Warbrain
Jul 15, 2008, 09:59 AM
Update: I have since been ushered upstairs to the iPod bar where they do the transactions. There are five people with an associate and another five waiting for one. So far the process takes 20-30 minutes per person in my estimates - better than during the weekend but still short of the 10-15 minutes figure presented by ron Johnson.

Congrats, you got in! You're one of a lucky few now in the area.

wowok1234
Jul 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks! I'm at the bat now completing the payment stage. The first phone is already activated(upgrade) and I'm waiting on the second one now - a port from t-mo.

meagain
Jul 15, 2008, 10:28 AM
Curious as to what the line is like outside when you leave. And if they give any ideas as to if they are close to running low on stock.

trs23
Jul 15, 2008, 11:58 AM
Curious as to what the line is like outside when you leave. And if they give any ideas as to if they are close to running low on stock.

Friend is in line now. Line is 4 hours - he got there around 10AM

michimoby
Jul 15, 2008, 12:05 PM
Friend is in line now. Line is 4 hours - he got there around 10AM

that's....RIDICULOUS. seriously, four days after launch?

do you think this is mostly caused by the stock shortages at ATT stores? Do any of these people...have jobs?

mac jones
Jul 15, 2008, 12:14 PM
that's....RIDICULOUS. seriously, four days after launch?

do you think this is mostly caused by the stock shortages at ATT stores? Do any of these people...have jobs?

I think it's just because you can't order online but have to go to the ****** Apple retail stores , and ATT is a drag to avoid.

They should at least have free coffee, maybe some chairs for pregnant women and seniors , entertainment instead of torturing us.

monsters :D

wowok1234
Jul 15, 2008, 12:42 PM

They seem to have plenty when I left, but then again they only processed 15 people up to that point. I was done around 10:40 and I took a quick tally around the block - there were 105 people outside and another 10 or so people in the line upstairs.

Here's how far the line stretched:

meagain
Jul 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
Why do I think even Thursday/Friday will be like this? I thought for sure come Monday post launch we'd be able to just walk in and get one. I really pegged this all wrong. Still wish they'd figure out something to get it done faster. The weekend will be a nightmare for sure.

Strugz10
Jul 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
Any updates on the line? I'm thinking about heading over there in a little bit and I'm willing to wait a few hours.

kmc99
Jul 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
Are they opening the store at 9 am this week? The website still says 10 am. And do you know when they cut off the line? When I called last night at around seven, they said they were no longer selling iphones to people who weren't already in line at the time.

Such an aggravation. I blew six hours in line on Friday only to be turned away empty-handed - my account had a government employee discount code on it, erroneously, which made it ineligible for iphone sales at an apple location. After all that, now I'm stuck waiting to get back in line. I wish they'd leave the store open a little later out of consideration for customers working jobs with long hours.

thor79
Jul 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
I think it's just because you can't order online but have to go to the ****** Apple retail stores , and ATT is a drag to avoid.

They should at least have free coffee, maybe some chairs for pregnant women and seniors , entertainment instead of torturing us.

monsters :D

Bring your own chair...that's what I did. I bought a folding chair that I could easily carry on a sling over my shoulder. I was the only one that I could see that brought one on Monday, then again I couldn't see around the corner from near the front of the line.

For entertainment I listened to music on my old phone and just watched the city at work.

Was a bit cold early in the morning...wish I had brought a jacket with me. I expected the wind but I didn't expect the cold.

You just gotta plan ahead when you know there will be a wait.

Yesterday I got there at 7am and was number 4 in line. I was out by 9:20am or so. About 20 minutes to get activated and get my dock. When I left there were maybe 50-60 people in line. I parked at the standard parking garage on Huron just across the street from where people line up for Apple. Valet parking and only cost me $16 to park there as I got there early (don't know what time their normal rates cut in).

Unfortunately they sold me the wrong dock...they sold me the dock for the original iPhone (I asked where the docks for the iPhone 3G were at and they took me over and pointed out the dock, I didn't look at the label though). I didn't notice this till I got home. So check your accessories before you leave the store to make sure you're getting stuff compatible with the 3G. I returned my dock to the Oakbrook store and ordered one online, as it seems no one has the 3G Dock at any of the Apple stores (called several of them).

rdstoll
Jul 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
Any updates on the line? I'm thinking about heading over there in a little bit and I'm willing to wait a few hours.

I was just down there a half hour ago and I'd say if you went right now it would take 2-3 hours. Basically, it looks like the alley that is between Michigan and N. St. Claire on Huron is sort of the 3hr cutoff mark. My coworker got there at 10:30am and the line was just past the alley...he got his at 1:30pm.

I'm wondering if it will be lighter later in the day or if it starts getting busy again as people get off work.

rdstoll
Jul 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
I was just down there a half hour ago and I'd say if you went right now it would take 2-3 hours. Basically, it looks like the alley that is between Michigan and N. St. Claire on Huron is sort of the 3hr cutoff mark. My coworker got there at 10:30am and the line was just past the alley...he got his at 1:30pm.

I'm wondering if it will be lighter later in the day or if it starts getting busy again as people get off work.

Apparently once you are inside you need another 30-45min to get everything set up and out the door. My buddy also said he saw one guy with 10 iPhones that he was able to get himself because he was porting over a whole family plan.

crowdedstr
Jul 15, 2008, 03:34 PM
Friend of mine waited 11am - 3pm today at Michigan Avenue... crazy that it's still so bad!!

mac jones
Jul 15, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'm curious as to what stores show stock at 9 tonight.

If it continues to be just these falgship stores this is not an option for me... (much to nervous to stand in a line....you wouldn't want me next to you :) )

If some of the other stores get trickles I can cope with that.

Then it's just a matter of running a few red lights then trying to act cool like I just happened in :D

hancock
Jul 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
When have they been cutting off the lines downtown this week?

has anyone been there later in the afternoon today, what were the lines like?

rdstoll
Jul 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
When have they been cutting off the lines downtown this week?

has anyone been there later in the afternoon today, what were the lines like?

I finally got out of there last night around 7pm and there was a line from the door to just around the corner of Huron...so pretty short. I have to say though that while it only took me an hour to get in the store, it took nearly an hour and a half to get to the counter once inside. Not sure what was going on but no matter how you slice it it still seems like a solid 3hr effort no matter what time of day you go.

But did get a nice positive surprise as one of the Apple guys came outside to tell us they were all out of the 16G Black phones, but once I got to the counter they still had some.

Inf4life
Jul 16, 2008, 08:37 AM
Does anyone know if you are just going in to buy accessories they will let you bypass the line?? I'd hate to wait 3 hours to buy a damn car charger.

polymac
Jul 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
As of this morning, the Michigan Ave store is still showing availability of all three models. It is the only store in Illinois with stock remaining in either of the 16 GB phones.

Has anyone heard anything about when supplies will expand? Are ATT stores getting any phones? Almost all Apple stores in the country are now completely sold out and allegedly it's worse in International markets.

crowdedstr
Jul 16, 2008, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know if you are just going in to buy accessories they will let you bypass the line?? I'd hate to wait 3 hours to buy a damn car charger.

Yes, they will let you bypass the line if you're going in for anything other than the iPhone itself... including the !!!!$40!!!! car charger.

Inf4life
Jul 16, 2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, they will let you bypass the line if you're going in for anything other than the iPhone itself... including the !!!!$40!!!! car charger.

I just got the Belkin PowerJolt and it only cost me 27 bucks at the ATT in Niles. They didn't have any iPhones and didn't know when they were getting any in. She said hopefully in the next few days.

polymac
Jul 16, 2008, 02:40 PM
Now that this is the ONLY place to get an iPhone, what are the lines like? Any idea what the supply level is for the various models?

BD1
Jul 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
Just happened to stop by Deer Park (IL) apple store at 10:30. They just received a shipment of about 50 black 16 phones. No wait. Line was forming when I left. They are getting some phones everyday about 10:30 am.

maokh
Jul 16, 2008, 05:45 PM
michigan ave downtown chicago has white 16 and black 8 ... earlier today.

abnospam
Jul 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
I was there Wednesay @ 9am (line about half way to alley) and the guy comes out at about 9:02am saying black is sold out. The web said they had it. Apparently there was a "glitch". They won't comment on when new stock comes in. If anyone sees they have 16 Black, can you post here with the time and current line size?

p.s. I am thinking all the suburban folks who work downtown are getting in that line. Maybe trying early on the weekend is the key?

meagain
Jul 17, 2008, 12:48 PM
There was a line of at least 50 at Oak Brook at about 11:30-ish anticipating a shipment. They do have quantity (no clue how much) of at least 16 black for only exchanges.

breadiu
Jul 17, 2008, 01:37 PM
If anyone sees they have 16 Black, can you post here with the time and current line size?

I just called, and they have 16GB Black in stock.
This JSON feed also appears to reflect what I was told:
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/feeds/3g_us_inv.json

abnospam
Jul 17, 2008, 02:47 PM
how do you know that json is accurate and up to date?

nad8e
Jul 17, 2008, 06:18 PM
So, getting in line Friday at say 6pm would be pretty futile... and waste my Friday evening downtown?? :confused:

Maybe I can try getting to the store Sat morning sometime.... :cool:

abnospam
Jul 17, 2008, 06:55 PM
so the JSON said one status and I called the store and they said another.
guess it isnt accurate

polymac
Jul 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
I just spoke to a rep at the Mag Mile store. He said that they currently only have the White 16 GB 3G in stock and have a 4 hour line/wait. They are, however, expecting more 3G handsets to be delivered later today.

abnospam
Jul 18, 2008, 11:46 AM
was thinking of going Sunday, but do they get shipments Saturday afternoon such that they will have stock Sunday?

nad8e
Jul 18, 2008, 01:18 PM
I just spoke to a rep at the Mag Mile store. He said that they currently only have the White 16 GB 3G in stock and have a 4 hour line/wait. They are, however, expecting more 3G handsets to be delivered later today.

You're awesome! Thanks for the info! :D

polymac
Jul 19, 2008, 07:34 AM
As of this morning, Michigan Ave is showing only 16GB white. Same for Northbrook and Woodfield. Old Orchard has all three models showing up. :(

abnospam
Jul 19, 2008, 07:35 AM
was considering going this morning downtown, as I have seen them show black sold out then get a shipment in the morning. with the rain, it may be the best opp for a short line.

meagain
Jul 19, 2008, 09:15 AM
They ALL get shipments daily then sell out and have nothing to show for the 9pm 'check availability' page.

outputlevel
Jul 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
and there was a line around the corner and down about 30 feet. lots of people and a steady rain. i kept moving.

meagain
Jul 19, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'd SO be at Woodfield right now if I wanted a phone. If I had to do it all over again. That would be the place.

nad8e
Jul 19, 2008, 07:52 PM
and there was a line around the corner and down about 30 feet. lots of people and a steady rain. i kept moving.

You shoulda waved.. I was out there... got in line at 8:45 with maybe 30 people in front of me... made it to activation at 10:00... finally activated at 10:40... apparently some number ports won't work... which makes the phone magically marked as "RTW" - Return to Warehouse.... 3rd time was a charm (and didn't try porting that time!)

Sorry to the two people who lost out on a phone cuz of me! :(

Unfortunately, I got a new number.... Fortunately I called AT&T and they ported me to my old number in 23 minutes over the phone. :D

Anyone else have any Sprint -> AT&T porting problems?

abnospam
Jul 19, 2008, 08:35 PM
which one did you get?

joneill55
Jul 20, 2008, 09:59 AM
Web page claimed last night that Michigan Ave store will be out of stock on Sunday.

thesage007
Jul 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
Availability page shows Orland Park as the only store in Illinois with stock. 16 GB black sold out

Inf4life
Jul 20, 2008, 12:04 PM

My number wasn't eligible for port so I just had to get a new number. I could care less about a phone number.

thesage007
Jul 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
Looks from the availability page shows Mich Ave showing 16G white available. To check the availability, change your system time from AM to PM

eme jota ce
Jul 21, 2008, 01:51 PM

I ported two numbers from Sprint to AT&T at the Apple store on Mich Ave without any problems.

I brought my wife's SSN (she was the Sprint primary account holder), the Sprint account number, and both (formerly) Sprint phone numbers along with the Sprint account holder's password. I also called Sprint beforehand and told them I would likely be buying iPHones and transferring and asked them to check my account for any billing or other obstructions to porting my phone numbers. During the call, I confirmed the account number and password as well.

bd24627
Jul 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
Anyone have any idea how bad the line/what the availability has been like at the Michigan Avenue store the past couple of days? Thinking of stopping by on the way home from work and wondering whether it's worth it or not.

outputlevel
Jul 22, 2008, 06:16 PM
i walked by there today at 1:30 and there was a line that went just around the corner of the store.

my friend got a white one this morning. took him 4 hours.

Silverstring
Jul 24, 2008, 12:37 PM
Any updates/people walking by today? It's hard to get through on their phones.

wowok1234
Jul 25, 2008, 08:01 AM
well, I'm passing by the store this morning (8am) and the line is much worse than it was when I picked up my phone last Tuesday. The line is already past the alley between the store and northwestern.

Edit: there has been some major movement in the line. It's not clear whether the store is opening early or what, but the line now ends right before the alley.

wowok1234
Jul 25, 2008, 08:38 AM
I heard from someone in line that the store will open at 8am until further notice.

ValientHimself
Jul 26, 2008, 10:36 AM
I went by the Mich Ave store today at about 7:50am, the line was still pretty intense. Down around the corner and down the street for quite a ways. Probably somewhere around 200 people.

abnospam
Jul 27, 2008, 05:24 PM
went sat @ 8 am. Got my phone by 10:30am.
website had said no stock the night before, but they had plenty when I was there.

The line is about 2 hours from the half way point around the corner and to the alley.

rdstoll
Aug 8, 2008, 02:24 PM
So are there any more lines at the Michigan Ave. store? Hasn't been a post here in more than a week so maybe we're at the point where you could almost walk in and get it. I'm planning on going tomorrow with a friend of mine to get it.

sammy2066
Aug 8, 2008, 02:28 PM
I was at the Michigan Ave store yesterday afternoon around 1PM. The in-store line was about 20 people. I handled the phone for the first time yesterday, seemed pretty unimpressive.

ValientHimself
Aug 9, 2008, 08:11 AM
So are there any more lines at the Michigan Ave. store? Hasn't been a post here in more than a week so maybe we're at the point where you could almost walk in and get it. I'm planning on going tomorrow with a friend of mine to get it.

I went on Wednesday, and got there at about 7:45am. I was out of there with my iPhone by 8:20am. Easy as pie now. I'm going back today to pick up a case.

BrightestBear
Aug 9, 2008, 10:48 AM
I was there yesterday at 5, and there was a small line out the door. The employees were all boggled that four Fridays later, people were still having to line up to buy.

kdog0126
Jun 15, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'll be camping out the Apple Store at Oak Brook Mall - same as I did last year.

What time did you go last year? I will camp out this year and wanted to know what time?

Nausicaa
Jun 16, 2009, 09:37 AM
I didn't preorder, so I'm planning on going to the Michigan Ave. Apple Store on Friday. Does anyone have any idea about what kind of crowds we should expect? I don't mind getting there early, I just don't want to miss out on one of the 32G 3Gs's.

Also, do you have to deal with the activation and stuff inside? Or is it pretty much just like buying an iPod, and you deal with all the account stuff through iTunes?

This will be my first iPhone.

xerenthar
Jun 16, 2009, 10:25 AM
if any of you fine individuals want to sell me a 16gb iPhone 2G or 3G, i'd love it!

meagain
Jun 16, 2009, 10:29 AM
Xerenthar - I might but sadly, we can't upgrade our phones till hubby gets home from a biz trip. Grrrr....

Actually, I probably could do mine but I might wait a bit. Else I'd be there will all of you in line.

xerenthar
Jun 16, 2009, 10:51 AM
i got out of warranty screwed with my broken 3g, so i'm in contract unupgradable sitting on a tiny lil 8gb and i h8 it

akazmucha
Jun 18, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm going to be going to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg... I have a question, though, for anyone who went there last year. Woodfield Mall as an AT&T store and an Apple store, are they going to sell it at both, or just combine the two and send AT&T employees to the Apple store?

PS. Never bough the first one so I'm kind of a noob... :D

They sell in both. Last year they gave wristbands to the first few people and had 2 separate lines for AT&T and Apple.

We were at the woodfield launch last year, and will be this year as well. We're going around 1am i believe :) Last year we went at 9pm and there were only 2 ppl waiting, so we were 3rd and 4th. We actually live in Indiana, we're leaving here around 11:30 or so to head up there. (We go up there because I'm familiar with that area, friends, family etc..) I like woodfield :)

I'd say getting there between 1-5am will definitely guarantee you a phone. I don't know what AT&T's stock was like last year, but Apple's stock was outrageous. My friend went after work at 6pm and still got one. So I think woodfield is one of the more well-stocked stores in the chicago area.

akazmucha
Jun 18, 2009, 06:30 PM
By the way, anyone know if there's already people lined up at Woodfield yet?

abgould
Jun 18, 2009, 08:22 PM
What time did you go last year? I will camp out this year and wanted to know what time?

I was there last year at 4am but mall security kept kicking us out. Tomorrow I'm going to N. Michigan Ave in the afternoon. I reserved a phone earlier this week.

meagain
Jun 18, 2009, 08:42 PM
Considering sooooo many can't get a 3G S unless they pay a ton of money, and the perceived 'not much change' in this gen (boy are they wrong!).... I think crowds will be far less of an issue. Big time.

I still don't know if I'm locked in for the upgrade price yet so it's not looking like I'll be able to join the Oak Brook group. :( Hope things change but I'll be thinking of you all - Hopeing you all score non-yellow, non-light leak pristine iPhones - while I shed a bit of a tear.

Whattheheck
Jun 18, 2009, 09:00 PM
I know me and about 3-4 other friends are going early to Oakbrook. Anyone have experience about getting there really early for a morning opening? I know it's an outdoor mall, so not sure quite how it works there.

This Apple store will be opening at 5am! Yes, this is true! You can start lining up around 4am.

OOC
Jun 7, 2010, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure if I'll do the whole waiting in line thing. But if I do, I'll definitely be at the mich ave store.

meagain
Jun 7, 2010, 09:42 PM
I'll be waiting in line :) Oak Brook.

oxdtown
Jun 7, 2010, 11:17 PM
i was thinking deer park or oak brook

tikitommy
Jun 8, 2010, 09:24 AM
Old Orchard. Outdoor mall with a canopy over the door and line area. That's where I got my 3G in week 2.

djransom
Jun 8, 2010, 10:48 AM
I'll be waiting in line :) Oak Brook.

I love their organizational skills at the Oak Brook store.

nad8e
Jun 8, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure if I'll do the whole waiting in line thing. But if I do, I'll definitely be at the mich ave store.

You suppose you'll have to wait in line if you have an appointment? I wonder how all of that will work? Seems to make more sense to do the appointment thing, to me! I hope they will guarantee phones if you make an appointment!

I'll be in town the end of June... hopefully there will be some in stock!

OOC
Jun 8, 2010, 07:46 PM
You suppose you'll have to wait in line if you have an appointment? I wonder how all of that will work? Seems to make more sense to do the appointment thing, to me! I hope they will guarantee phones if you make an appointment!

I'll be in town the end of June... hopefully there will be some in stock!

I'm thinking about pre-ordering and doing a pick up at the store. But I have no idea how this'll work.