PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Village, CA

mitchellh
Jun 14, 2008, 10:45 PM
Ill be at the Manhattan Village Apple Store on July 11 :)

lifesmymachine
Jun 15, 2008, 06:09 AM
Me too!

mitchellh
Jun 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
Me too!

Woo! What time were you planning on going? :eek:

lifesmymachine
Jun 15, 2008, 09:53 PM
Woo! What time were you planning on going? :eek:

havnt decided yet, how about yourself? I requested the day off from work so the earlier the better--- especially if we have to activate in store.

last year for iDay a few friends and I had a boombox, and the group in front of us had tons of chairs and a portable canopy. It turned into a partayyy!

abijnk
Jun 15, 2008, 09:59 PM
My fiance and I will be there too! :D

We're new to the area, and we didn't go to the launch last year, so we don't really know how this goes... What time will you guys be getting there?

Justinerator
Jun 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'll be there either the 11th* or the 13th.... the 11th for the experience, or the 13th for the no line/no waiting experience! ;)

*If I go the 11th, I'll be there at 5 in the morning or so. Last year people camped out from the night before, so I assume it will be like that again...

mitchellh
Jun 15, 2008, 11:43 PM
I'll be there either the 11th* or the 13th.... the 11th for the experience, or the 13th for the no line/no waiting experience! ;)

*If I go the 11th, I'll be there at 5 in the morning or so. Last year people camped out from the night before, so I assume it will be like that again...

Hmmmm... I will check out the situation the night of the 10th and if its looking like there are a lot of people I'll head out there that night. But if not, I'll probably be there at 5 or 6 AM. :cool:

Justinerator
Jun 16, 2008, 01:02 AM
Hmmmm... I will check out the situation the night of the 10th and if its looking like there are a lot of people I'll head out there that night. But if not, I'll probably be there at 5 or 6 AM. :cool:

I guess I'll see you then! :D

Justin

p.s. Rumors are that they will be released at 6:00 PM at both the apple store and AT&T stores.

abijnk
Jun 16, 2008, 10:19 AM
Since this store is in a mall are there any restrictions to being there the night before? When I talked to an employee yesterday about it they said security might run you off, but he didn't really know because he hadn't been working at last year's launch...

mitchellh
Jun 16, 2008, 05:59 PM
Since this store is in a mall are there any restrictions to being there the night before? When I talked to an employee yesterday about it they said security might run you off, but he didn't really know because he hadn't been working at last year's launch...

Hmm I was thinking about this probability also. I worked at an Apple Store for a year and during the iPhone launch but unfortunately it was not a mall store so I'm not sure.

The way I see it people will probably be lined up outside the mall doors rather than trying to camp out inside ;) I don't see any reason for them to shoo you away from there.

lifesmymachine
Jun 17, 2008, 01:53 AM

There is 24 hour security in Manhattan Village, but they do lock the doors to the mall all night. Lines form outside of the mall, starting in front of Islands/ Tommy Bahama and curving around Macy's Womens (North.. towards sepulveda). Last year line divider thingies (a la like at a bank) were set up to herd people into a line.

I havnt decided how early I will be there, but I am scared that with an international release the supply on the first day will not meet the demand. We were okay last year, but iPhones were only being released in one country. For a release with the same demand (probably wont have near the demand of the first gen tho..), I would imagine they would be more likely to run out on day one.

Justinerator
Jun 17, 2008, 02:07 AM
...I havnt decided how early I will be there, but I am scared that with an international release the supply on the first day will not meet the demand. We were okay last year, but iPhones were only being released in one country. For a release with the same demand (probably wont have near the demand of the first gen tho..), I would imagine they would be more likely to run out on day one.

Not even... Apple plans for this stuff! ;) I assume it will take weeks, if at all before they run out of stock at the apple store. AT&T stores, I presume, will sell out in the first few hours of opening the doors though. The AT&T store on the corner of Sepulvida and MB Blvd said they only got 39 iphones for the first release, and they're a pretty big (in terms of importance) store around the South Bay area. So they sold out in the first hour... :eek:

Just my $.02 :)

lifesmymachine
Jun 17, 2008, 03:00 AM
Not even... Apple plans for this stuff! ;) I assume it will take weeks, if at all before they run out of stock at the apple store. AT&T stores, I presume, will sell out in the first few hours of opening the doors though. The AT&T store on the corner of Sepulvida and MB Blvd said they only got 39 iphones for the first release, and they're a pretty big (in terms of importance) store around the South Bay area. So they sold out in the first hour... :eek:

Just my $.02 :)

True.. as you said though, going on the 11th is part of the experience.. plus it would be cool to be one of the first to have the latest and greatest

abijnk
Jun 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I am so excited about this, it really isn't natural... :o

We should find a way to have a small macrumors party while we wait :D

UCLAkers
Jun 17, 2008, 12:56 PM
fellow south bayers! sup guys. sigh.. this wait is just killin me! any updates on whether or not it's gonna be another 6pm release?

btw, I know there's already a poll in the main iphone thread, but for the south bayers, what size/color? I like the black 16GB, but the more I see the white the more I like it (not as feminine-looking as I thought).

abijnk
Jun 17, 2008, 03:17 PM
fellow south bayers! sup guys. sigh.. this wait is just killin me! any updates on whether or not it's gonna be another 6pm release?

btw, I know there's already a poll in the main iphone thread, but for the south bayers, what size/color? I like the black 16GB, but the more I see the white the more I like it (not as feminine-looking as I thought).

I'm definitely getting 16GB, but I can't decide on white or black...:confused:

lifesmymachine
Jun 18, 2008, 04:09 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I am so excited about this, it really isn't natural... :o

We should find a way to have a small macrumors party while we wait :D

Sounds good! I'll bring a stereo and some chairs! We can order some food while we wait, and of course have coolers filled with drinks!

I'm thinking I will show up around 10am or so, although if all of you other macrumors folk will be there earlier, perhaps I will go for the experience of waiting in line with fellow apple fans

toddbee
Jun 18, 2008, 01:23 PM
ill see you guys there

rannddeee
Jun 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
whats an iphone?

just kidding guys. the wait is killing me. im using a tmobile dash right now and it is probably the worst smartphone around. i have one question. since im with tmobile right now, do i have to bring my tmobile bill so i can have my number transferred?

rittchard
Jun 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm planning on being there too (as long as I don't get sent out of town on work)! I was at the first one so I have to be there again, don't I? :p

abijnk
Jun 18, 2008, 10:01 PM
just kidding guys. the wait is killing me. im using a tmobile dash right now and it is probably the worst smartphone around. i have one question. since im with tmobile right now, do i have to bring my tmobile bill so i can have my number transferred?

When I ported my number over from verizon all they needed was my account number. NOT the phone number, the ACCOUNT number. I would just make sure you have it with you to speed things up, otherwise they will have you call T-Mobile in the store and get your account number (they will give you the number to call and everything). Its a really simple process.

23 days! :D

UCLAkers
Jun 18, 2008, 11:50 PM
When I ported my number over from verizon all they needed was my account number. NOT the phone number, the ACCOUNT number. I would just make sure you have it with you to speed things up, otherwise they will have you call T-Mobile in the store and get your account number (they will give you the number to call and everything). Its a really simple process.

23 days! :D

abiyng, I'm in a similar situation now as u were in before w/ my verizon service. my 2 year plan doesn't expire til next april, so I gotta call verizon myself and cancel service before I buy the iphone/at&t service or will that just automatically get done if I port my # in-store or something? btw, when u switched from verizon, was ur contract up or did u have to deal w/ the ETF? if u did, did u make an attempt at getting out of contract w/o paying or was there just no way around it?

I could just call verizon but figured asking a fellow verizon refugee would be more informative =).

thanks in advance!

ncsmith4
Jun 19, 2008, 11:45 AM
I will most likely be there too. Either there or the Grove. The Grove might have more phones, but also more people. I cant decide what time I should go...

Also I cant decide on white or black. :-\

abijnk
Jun 19, 2008, 12:01 PM
abiyng, I'm in a similar situation now as u were in before w/ my verizon service. my 2 year plan doesn't expire til next april, so I gotta call verizon myself and cancel service before I buy the iphone/at&t service or will that just automatically get done if I port my # in-store or something? btw, when u switched from verizon, was ur contract up or did u have to deal w/ the ETF? if u did, did u make an attempt at getting out of contract w/o paying or was there just no way around it?

I could just call verizon but figured asking a fellow verizon refugee would be more informative =).

thanks in advance!

Honestly I had such a bad experience with Verizon that i left the door running and didn't look back. I didn't even think about arguing the ETF because that would have meant talking to them again. :D

If you are porting your number over from another carrier DO NOT cancel your contract before you sign up with AT&T. If you do you will lose your current number and will be assigned a new AT&T number. To port you number over just call your current carrier ahead of time and ask them to give you your account number; you might even be able to look up the account number online if you use that type of service. Then, when you go to AT&T to start your contract with them tell them you want to port your number from carrier X. They will ask you for your account number with X and will pull everything through their system. Your contract with your previous carrier will automatically be canceled in the process and you will receive a final bill from them in the next week or so. Its as easy as that!

UCLAkers
Jun 19, 2008, 04:04 PM
Honestly I had such a bad experience with Verizon that i left the door running and didn't look back. I didn't even think about arguing the ETF because that would have meant talking to them again. :D

If you are porting your number over from another carrier DO NOT cancel your contract before you sign up with AT&T. If you do you will lose your current number and will be assigned a new AT&T number. To port you number over just call your current carrier ahead of time and ask them to give you your account number; you might even be able to look up the account number online if you use that type of service. Then, when you go to AT&T to start your contract with them tell them you want to port your number from carrier X. They will ask you for your account number with X and will pull everything through their system. Your contract with your previous carrier will automatically be canceled in the process and you will receive a final bill from them in the next week or so. Its as easy as that!

wow, thanks for the great reply! one more thing.. so after porting, and the contract from previous carrier automatically canceled, how crazy was the final verizon bill sent to you after the fact? with verizon's prorated ETF, mine shouldn't be too crazy at around $100-$105ish, but I don't wanna have to deal with random hidden charges cause they're mad at you for switching over hahah. :D

thanks again!

abijnk
Jun 19, 2008, 06:28 PM
wow, thanks for the great reply! one more thing.. so after porting, and the contract from previous carrier automatically canceled, how crazy was the final verizon bill sent to you after the fact? with verizon's prorated ETF, mine shouldn't be too crazy at around $100-$105ish, but I don't wanna have to deal with random hidden charges cause they're mad at you for switching over hahah. :D

thanks again!

Yeah, mine was just the ETF's for both of the lines I had on my plan, and then the usage charges for what I had used up until that point in the billing cycle (so ETF + prorated monthly charge)

UCLAkers
Jun 23, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, mine was just the ETF's for both of the lines I had on my plan, and then the usage charges for what I had used up until that point in the billing cycle (so ETF + prorated monthly charge)

thanks. seems pretty straight forward. as a former verizon customer, comparitively, how has the AT&T service been for you in the southbay area (in terms of overall service, reception)? does it really have "more bars in more places" on a consistent basis hahhha. cause I must admit, verizon service has been pretty dang reliable for me. good lord this wait is just unbearable. just 3 more weeks to go tho!! :D

Justinerator
Jun 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
I'm definitely getting 16GB, but I can't decide on white or black...:confused:

I'm in the same boat, pal. I'm probably getting white, gonna slap a case on it, and not worry about it. White will not show the scratches as much, so in the end it might be a better investment to get a white one, especially if you put a case on it because you won't even see the color of it. Then again, black just looks badass. :cool:

Rozvagyj
Jun 24, 2008, 12:00 AM
switching from the darkside (verizon bberry 8830) to the iphone on the 11th or 12th. my friend was in there on the 30th last year and picked one up no problem.

abijnk
Jun 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
thanks. seems pretty straight forward. as a former verizon customer, comparitively, how has the AT&T service been for you in the southbay area (in terms of overall service, reception)? does it really have "more bars in more places" on a consistent basis hahhha. cause I must admit, verizon service has been pretty dang reliable for me. good lord this wait is just unbearable. just 3 more weeks to go tho!! :D

Well, I might not be the best person to ask about reception since I never had verizon while I have been in So Cal and I have only been in the area for about a month now. :D

However, I just moved here from Southern Illinois, serious farm country, and I got reception on AT&T and Verizon about the same there, which was pretty good. So far since I have been here (in the Southbay area) I haven't found any dead zones... I even managed to drive all the way through Sepulveda tunnel without dropping a call once. :P

Rozvagyj
Jun 24, 2008, 02:04 PM
some parts on the strand (like west of manhattan ave & 5th street) have REALLY bad verizon reception. and in the tree section (roscrans-marine to sepluveda-highland) i can have some bad reception

UCLAkers
Jun 24, 2008, 07:39 PM
yea verizon reception gets pretty terrible the closer you get to the ocean. right near, on esplanade (the street closest to the water that stretches along the coast), you pretty much can't use your phone. I'll be lucky if I have 1 bar. but if you go away from esplanade to the next parallel street on catalina ave, reception is good. sucks dude. that seems to be the only dead zone I've come across in the south bay.

do any of you AT&T users out there have good reception in said area? I live nearby but a friend I go to skool with lives right there and we're there often and I want reception. in my area though and at school (UCLA's got verizon stuff everywhere) reception is solid.

anyone?

abijnk
Jun 24, 2008, 07:49 PM
yea verizon reception gets pretty terrible the closer you get to the ocean. right near, on esplanade (the street closest to the water that stretches along the coast), you pretty much can't use your phone. I'll be lucky if I have 1 bar. but if you go away from esplanade to the next parallel street on catalina ave, reception is good. sucks dude. that seems to be the only dead zone I've come across in the south bay.

do any of you AT&T users out there have good reception in said area? I live nearby but a friend I go to skool with lives right there and we're there often and I want reception. in my area though and at school (UCLA's got verizon stuff everywhere) reception is solid.

anyone?

well, I don't know about Redondo, but the other night I made a call while I was standing with the waves hitting my feet...

Justinerator
Jun 25, 2008, 02:59 PM

anyone?

The only area in south bay where I don't have more than 2 bars of reception is in Hermosa Beach on 2nd St. a couple of blocks from the beach. Besides that, I have either full 3g or full edge.

Justin

p.s. I have AT&T btw... ;)

UCLAkers
Jun 25, 2008, 07:17 PM
well, I don't know about Redondo, but the other night I made a call while I was standing with the waves hitting my feet...

The only area in south bay where I don't have more than 2 bars of reception is in Hermosa Beach on 2nd St. a couple of blocks from the beach. Besides that, I have either full 3g or full edge.

Justin

p.s. I have AT&T btw... ;)

nice.. sounds like AT&T service is pretty great in the area. secondly, how have your AT&T experiences been in LA (west la/santa monica, beverly hills, downtoan LA)?? all in all, sounds pretty solid. can't wait to dump verizon and make the switch at release. :D

abijnk
Jun 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
can't wait to dump verizon and make the switch at release. :D

Good news! Only THIS (http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/fullscreen.html?mode=a&year=2008&month=7&day=11&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p0=137) much longer!

:p

Justinerator
Jun 26, 2008, 10:45 PM
Good news! Only THIS (http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/fullscreen.html?mode=a&year=2008&month=7&day=11&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p0=137) much longer!

SWEEEEEEEEEET :D

UCLAkers
Jun 26, 2008, 11:23 PM

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

btw, I'm kinda liking the white tho. the pics (and the 360 spin view) at apple.com are just sick.

abijnk
Jun 27, 2008, 12:50 PM
WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

btw, I'm kinda liking the white tho. the pics (and the 360 spin view) at apple.com are just sick.

Yeah, I had the white incase slider cover on my 1st gen, and it looked really really sexy, so that's the way I am leaning.

Got approval from th boss for the day off. Woot woot! Should have seen the look on his face when I told him what I was doing! It was funny... :D

UCLAkers
Jun 30, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I had the white incase slider cover on my 1st gen, and it looked really really sexy, so that's the way I am leaning.

Got approval from th boss for the day off. Woot woot! Should have seen the look on his face when I told him what I was doing! It was funny... :D

lol he didn't ask "can ya pick one up for me too" hhhaha. are ya going early in the morning? it appears stores are opening at 8am that day. but we'll find out more tmrw with the supposed AT&T press release.

Justinerator
Jul 1, 2008, 12:44 AM
lol he didn't ask "can ya pick one up for me too" hhhaha. are ya going early in the morning? it appears stores are opening at 8am that day. but we'll find out more tmrw with the supposed AT&T press release.

This is what I've decided... My guess is the line at the mall will be double, if not triple what it was last year. So as much as it pains me to say it, I am going to hold off a couple of days so I won't have to wait in line... As far as color - I'm leaning towards white (for resale and longevity reasons), but I may decide to get black if it looks as badass in person as it does online. :cool:

UCLAkers
Jul 1, 2008, 01:21 AM
This is what I've decided... My guess is the line at the mall will be double, if not triple what it was last year. So as much as it pains me to say it, I am going to hold off a couple of days so I won't have to wait in line... As far as color - I'm leaning towards white (for resale and longevity reasons), but I may decide to get black if it looks as badass in person as it does online. :cool:

yea I'm considering doing the same. but I wanna somehow try to gauge the level of "hype" within the next couple weeks (esp after the AT&T press release tmrw) and decide if I'm gonna have to try to get it on release day. I just don't wanna have to drive somewhere far to get one cause all my local stores are sold out for weeks or something crazy like that. as for color... yea both the white AND black just look insane in the pics online. but I too am gonna have to wait to see both colors in person. but nevertheless, it's comin soooon! yayuhhh!!

Justinerator
Jul 1, 2008, 03:41 AM
yea I'm considering doing the same. but I wanna somehow try to gauge the level of "hype" within the next couple weeks (esp after the AT&T press release tmrw) and decide if I'm gonna have to try to get it on release day. I just don't wanna have to drive somewhere far to get one cause all my local stores are sold out for weeks or something crazy like that. as for color... yea both the white AND black just look insane in the pics online. but I too am gonna have to wait to see both colors in person. but nevertheless, it's comin soooon! yayuhhh!!

hellz yeah!!! :D

abijnk
Jul 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm not waiting, I've never gone to a product launch before, so I'll still be there. :p

Anyone know if Apple is opening up at 8 a.m. that day too? I would assume so, but who knows... I haven't braved trying to call them yet.

I am thinking about doing something stupid, like getting there around midnight or so...

UCLAkers
Jul 1, 2008, 04:18 PM
just a quick question. we were talking about porting #'s over from other carriers when getting the iphone (from verizon in my case).. during the process, will your contacts, pictures, and ringtones (maybe the ringtones I got off verizon share the same file type as iphone ringtones?) sync w/o a problem to the new iphone say if you were to activate in-store? at least being able to transfer over contacts would be great.

anyone with some 411?

Anyone know if Apple is opening up at 8 a.m. that day too?

yea it looks like it IS an 8am release after all! according to the new info released today at least..

abijnk
Jul 1, 2008, 04:31 PM
just a quick question. we were talking about porting #'s over from other carriers when getting the iphone (from verizon in my case).. during the process, will your contacts, pictures, and ringtones (maybe the ringtones I got off verizon share the same file type as iphone ringtones?) sync w/o a problem to the new iphone say if you were to activate in-store? at least being able to transfer over contacts would be great.

anyone with some 411?

I really doubt it, but I guess you can ask AT&T. Your best bet, though, would be to put all that stuff on your computer.

UCLAkers
Jul 1, 2008, 07:46 PM
I really doubt it, but I guess you can ask AT&T. Your best bet, though, would be to put all that stuff on your computer.

yea I hear ya. guess I gotta buy or borrow a data cable for my verizon phone then. either that or type all my contacts out hahah. which would suck big time. so I can say bye bye to my ringtones then too probably. and pictures guess I can send them to sister and have them sent back after. thanks again Abiy from southern illinois!!! :D

lifesmymachine
Jul 2, 2008, 02:03 AM
yea I hear ya. guess I gotta buy or borrow a data cable for my verizon phone then. either that or type all my contacts out hahah. which would suck big time. so I can say bye bye to my ringtones then too probably. and pictures guess I can send them to sister and have them sent back after. thanks again Abiy from southern illinois!!! :D

or buy one the day before... back it up, and return it......

hiltigger
Jul 3, 2008, 02:56 PM
Wow, lot's going on here!

To try and help answer some of your questions, even if most of them have already been answered...

AT&T service in and around the South Bay has been really good for me ever since they bought Cingular, which is what I had at UCLA, and was horrible for the longest time when I was at UCLA around 2001. The only place you'll have problems is if you go up to the Palos Verdes area, especially deep in the hills it can be bad. Other than that, though, you should be fine. Don't know about 3G service, though.

As for when I'm going to go wait in line, I figure I might as well camp out and enjoy the experience with a few friends. Still not sure what time Thursday night I'm going to go, or even where we're supposed to wait, but should be fun. I've heard that Century City was pretty good last year, and the Grove will probably be pretty busy as well, so I'm hoping Manhattan's will be OK. Should be fun at least. =D

I think everyone else knows that the AT&T stores are going to start selling at 8am, and Apple will probably announce it once they have their powwow with the stores on the 6th. I'm not sure how it'll work out buying more than one, though, since the discounted price is from AT&T I believe, and I don't think they've announced what the price would be without the discount. I imagine that it wouldn't be the $199/299 prices though.

I can't wait!!! Just eight days to go!!!

abijnk
Jul 3, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hey, so if you haven't seen this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=510664) in the regular iPhone forums you should check it out. I have 5 referrals available and would love to give them to fellow south bay-ers!

How it works is you send me your Full name (first and last) and email address and I enter it into the referral program page. Then they send you an email, you follow the instructions in the email, and we both get $25 gift cards from AT&T (they are visa gift cards, so you can use them anywhere).

Pm me or email me if you want: abiyng@gmail.com

rannddeee
Jul 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
since at&t will open up at 8am to sell the 3g are you guys still planning on waiting at the :apple:store for 6pm release or will you go to the att store at 8?

hiltigger
Jul 4, 2008, 06:03 PM
since at&t will open up at 8am to sell the 3g are you guys still planning on waiting at the :apple:store for 6pm release or will you go to the att store at 8?

I don't think Apple announced what time they were releasing theirs yet, did that?

UCLAkers
Jul 5, 2008, 02:26 PM

great news! for those of you that haven't already seen it, turns out that at activation, you CAN transfer contacts over to the 3G from "non-AT&T devices and devices that don't store contacts on SIM cards." but it says that you have to do it at an AT&T store. so I don't know if that means you have to actually buy the 3G at the AT&T store or if you could just swing by an AT&T store afterward to take care of it. in my case, I'll be switching over from verizon.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...r_Contacts.pdf (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/Transfer_Contacts.pdf)

abijnk
Jul 5, 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't think Apple announced what time they were releasing theirs yet, did that?

No, they haven't. I talked to a guy at the store who said they won't know until after the all-hands meeting on the 6th. So, I planned on stopping by the Manhattan Village store on Tuesday to chat up an employee for some details.

Even if they are opening later than the AT&T stores I am still going to the Apple store. I'm in it for the "experience."

great news! for those of you that haven't already seen it, turns out that at activation, you CAN transfer contacts over to the 3G from "non-AT&T devices and devices that don't store contacts on SIM cards." but it says that you have to do it at an AT&T store. so I don't know if that means you have to actually buy the 3G at the AT&T store or if you could just swing by an AT&T store afterward to take care of it. in my case, I'll be switching over from verizon.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...r_Contacts.pdf (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/Transfer_Contacts.pdf)

Sweet! That sure makes thing easier. :)

abijnk
Jul 7, 2008, 12:22 PM
So, anyone decided what time they are going now that it looks like the stores will be opening at 8?

Justinerator
Jul 7, 2008, 09:09 PM
Not sure, probably sometime the night before, because remember, macrumors meet-up thread people like us only make up a small part of the community that are actually going to stand in line... Which means there will be plenty of people waiting the day before launch and over-nighting it.

Did you know there will be demo models of them tomorrow possibly? According to the front page, they could be out to play with as soon as tomorrow! So I might swing by to check 'em out and decide what color I want... ;)

rittchard
Jul 7, 2008, 11:45 PM
I'm wondering if Manhattan Village will even allow overnighters. I think they are pretty strict with security and I had the impression last year they said they didn't allow camping, etc. but I could just be imagining it.

abijnk
Jul 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'm wondering if Manhattan Village will even allow overnighters. I think they are pretty strict with security and I had the impression last year they said they didn't allow camping, etc. but I could just be imagining it.

I am concerned about this too. I was planning on stopping by the store tonight since I have to go grocery shopping anyways. I'll post what I'm told this evening.

Justinerator
Jul 8, 2008, 02:43 PM

Me too... Last year people got away with doing it as the security guard was nice, but they really weren't allowed to. This year they might allow it because everyone knows there will be people camping out anyways... :D

AppleIntelRock
Jul 8, 2008, 02:53 PM
havnt decided yet, how about yourself? I requested the day off from work so the earlier the better--- especially if we have to activate in store.

last year for iDay a few friends and I had a boombox, and the group in front of us had tons of chairs and a portable canopy. It turned into a partayyy!

this is how we did it last year on iDay

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: (http://web.mac.com/michaellines/iWeb/Site%2026/Photos.html)

abijnk
Jul 8, 2008, 02:55 PM
this is how we did it last year on iDay

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: (http://web.mac.com/michaellines/iWeb/Site%2026/Photos.html)

I like your sig :)

I don't know if I even want to attempt camping out or just get there at like 3 am or something... :confused:

AppleIntelRock
Jul 8, 2008, 02:56 PM
Apple stores should have a large supply, I don't know if camping out is necessary. Just remember, this line is going to got a lot slower then iDay '07

hiltigger
Jul 8, 2008, 06:42 PM
Still waiting to hear from some people like abiyng87 who actually will go into the store, but I called and talked to an employee (Tiffany I think) who said that at the moment they weren't sure what the plan was, outside of opening the store at 8am. She said she was telling people to come by and start waiting around 6 or 7, and I'm assuming that's AM the morning of. I'm at least going to drive by Thursday night to check out the line, and wouldn't mind camping out if people are there. If not, then I'll just wake up early and head over.

And please let us know if they have the demos around too... I think I want the black 16GB, but maybe the white one will be fun too.

abijnk
Jul 9, 2008, 11:12 AM
So I stopped by the store yesterday evening and got pretty much the same answers as hiltigger. They still don't know how they are going handle campers, and that's mostly because of security.

I walked up and the greeter (you know, the one right by the door who practically jumps you when you walk in) started talking to me about it. He said he talked to a mall security guard and that the guards main concern was that they don't have a whole team of people working at night, so they might be patrolling on the other end of the mall and someone could still get mugged or whatever...

I plan on just doing drive-bys waiting for the line to start. I'll go by after work and see whats up, but I don't think I will consider getting in line until Midnight. What about you guys?

I am so unnaturally excited about this silly phone... And I think I've decided on a white one...

hiltigger
Jul 9, 2008, 11:16 AM
abiyng87, did they have the demo iPhones at the store? I still want to try and stop by to check them out if I can.

Midnight sounds better than 10pm.

LADodgerBlueFan
Jul 9, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hey guys, I may go by the ATT store on my way to work and check out the scenery, if theres not line I'll probably stay there but I'd rather go to the Apple store. I wonder what the line will be like around 7 AM. Any thoughts?

abijnk
Jul 9, 2008, 01:09 PM
abiyng87, did they have the demo iPhones at the store? I still want to try and stop by to check them out if I can.

Midnight sounds better than 10pm.

Nope, no demos... I was really disappointed about that too, they said they will not be up until Friday, so you'll have to make the decision then, unfortunately.

Justinerator
Jul 9, 2008, 05:45 PM
How do you think they'll handle underage people? I'm 16, and I'm the third line in a family plan. I'll be the only one that gets an iphone 3g too. So I was wondering if I even need anyone there since I'll be paying for everything myself... What do you guys think?

abijnk
Jul 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
How do you think they'll handle underage people? I'm 16, and I'm the third line in a family plan. I'll be the only one that gets an iphone 3g too. So I was wondering if I even need anyone there since I'll be paying for everything myself... What do you guys think?

It's pretty sad that like every other post on here is mine, isn't it? Maybe it goes to show my excitement... :cool:

You will need to be an authorized user or the actual account holder. So, either you'll need to bring the account holder with you (or like have them come join you later on in the wait) or become an authorized user. The problem there is that I don't know if people under 18 can be authorized users. :) You'll have to ask AT&T that...

hiltigger
Jul 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
It's pretty sad that like every other post on here is mine, isn't it? Maybe it goes to show my excitement... :cool:

I have to admit that I would be posting as much too... but glad that you're doing it. :p

Justinerator
Jul 10, 2008, 12:56 AM

You will need to be an authorized user or the actual account holder. So, either you'll need to bring the account holder with you (or like have them come join you later on in the wait) or become an authorized user. The problem there is that I don't know if people under 18 can be authorized users. :) You'll have to ask AT&T that...

that's what i figured... thanks excited apple fanboy person #2! (right after me, of course :D)

Do you think the price will be the same old $10+$30(data)+$5(texts), or will it now be $30+$30(data)+$5(texts), even if I am the only one with an iphone on my family plan? Or will it be something completely different?

TIA guys! :)

AppleIntelRock
Jul 10, 2008, 12:58 AM
on the issue of purchasing in an apple store as an authorized user, not account holder...

I had to have ATT cust service contact my local apple store's manager to confirm i'd be able to do this.

so if you're in the same boat, make sure and call ahead.

Justinerator
Jul 10, 2008, 01:34 AM
on the issue of purchasing in an apple store as an authorized user, not account holder...

I had to have ATT cust service contact my local apple store's manager to confirm i'd be able to do this.

so if you're in the same boat, make sure and call ahead.

k, will do. Still want to know if the price on my line will be different than before... Thanks in advance guys!

LADodgerBlueFan
Jul 10, 2008, 12:41 PM
k, will do. Still want to know if the price on my line will be different than before... Thanks in advance guys!

I am in a similar situation, I am also in a family plan as the 2nd line of 4. I contacted ATT and was told I would only have to add the data plan to the already existing 9.99 call plan. I am also an authorized user and would like to purchase my iPhone at the Apple store but it may be best to just do it at ATT, I'm not sure how smooth it will be to have ATT contact the Apple store and inform them about this.

abijnk
Jul 10, 2008, 01:24 PM
I can hardly contain myself now :)

@ Justinerator: If you already have a line on an account your only charges will be an upgrade fee (one time $18), the data fee (monthly $30) and any text messaging plan you want. If you DO NOT already have a line the fees will be an activation fee (one time, and I believe its $26 or $36), the service fee (monthly $9.99), the data fee (monthly $30), and any text messaging plan you want.

I am not sure when I will show up, but I'll be in jeans and a maroon Southern Illinois shirt if anyone wants to flag me down, don't be shy! ;) :D

hiltigger
Jul 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
I must say that I'm pretty excited too. Will probably be in jeans and a grey UCLA sweatshirt... if I'm not sleeping in my car in the parking lot. =)

Justinerator
Jul 10, 2008, 02:33 PM
I am in a similar situation, I am also in a family plan as the 2nd line of 4. I contacted ATT and was told I would only have to add the data plan to the already existing 9.99 call plan. I am also an authorized user and would like to purchase my iPhone at the Apple store but it may be best to just do it at ATT, I'm not sure how smooth it will be to have ATT contact the Apple store and inform them about this.

I can hardly contain myself now :)

@ Justinerator: If you already have a line on an account your only charges will be an upgrade fee (one time $18), the data fee (monthly $30) and any text messaging plan you want. If you DO NOT already have a line the fees will be an activation fee (one time, and I believe its $26 or $36), the service fee (monthly $9.99), the data fee (monthly $30), and any text messaging plan you want.

I am not sure when I will show up, but I'll be in jeans and a maroon Southern Illinois shirt if anyone wants to flag me down, don't be shy! ;) :D

Thanks for the replies, both were helpful! (surprising to see that nowadays :p) I'll be the guy in jeans and a white quicksilver hoodie with an N75, lol... And I'm sure I'll be one of the first few in line... :D

Actually, I wonder when the line will start forming... :confused:

Either way, see you guys soon.

abijnk
Jul 10, 2008, 03:55 PM
Actually, I wonder when the line will start forming... :confused:

I have no idea about this! I am going to stop by there around 6 or so tonight and see what the employees say, then plan my night from there. I figure sleeping isn't really in the plans no matter where I am, so might as well get a good spot!

ncsmith4
Jul 10, 2008, 04:11 PM
Would anyone going tonight possibly text me so I know what the line looks like? I was thinking of going at like 4am but could go earlier if it looks like its out of control. If youre willing to, Ill PM you my cell #...

hiltigger
Jul 10, 2008, 04:40 PM
So a friend of mine just called the mall and talked to security. They said that they wouldn't allow people to start standing in line until 5am. So I'll see you all there tomorrow at 5 I guess! If anyone else hears something else, please post here!

abijnk
Jul 10, 2008, 06:44 PM
So a friend of mine just called the mall and talked to security. They said that they wouldn't allow people to start standing in line until 5am. So I'll see you all there tomorrow at 5 I guess! If anyone else hears something else, please post here!

Yep, line starts at 5 am! Confirmed it with store employees. Woot Woot!!! :D

See you guys then!

accord08
Jul 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
Count me in! I may be there @ 4:55am just in case.

ncsmith4
Jul 10, 2008, 11:15 PM
Ill be there in a Disneyland sweatshirt. Aaaaaand all my friends bailed. Boo.

UCLAkers
Jul 11, 2008, 02:34 AM
so who's headin out in a few hours!? I think I'm just gonna wait til closer (probably sometime after) to the 8am open time to head out there. abiy or anyone else documenting the early wait leading up to 8am? :D if I don't get some sleep soon and not make it out by 5am, pictures/video of you guys in line would be fun to see haha. no? someone do it! :)

abijnk
Jul 11, 2008, 05:50 AM
I'm up and about, just trying to get the fiancÚ to do the same! We'll be heading over there in 15-20 minutes.

abijnk
Jul 11, 2008, 06:43 AM
well, we are here kiddos!!! There are already about 20-30 people in line ahead of us. Just over 3 hours to go.

ncsmith4
Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 PM
Im back from Manhattan Village, with two nonworking iPhones. The old one which now gets no service, and the new one which needs to be activated through the nonworking iTunes. So now I dont have a phone. Grrrrreat.

Anyway, I was there. #6 in line. I actually had a pretty nice time overall. Until we got in the store and everything was down. Oh well, the employees were *SUPER* nice. Couldnt have asked for better.

Is anyone still out there? How's it looking?

accord08
Jul 11, 2008, 01:13 PM
I was #14 in line, great experience. My phone is dead however like everyone else's. The part that sucks more is that my old SIM card is dead, and the new one isn't activated, so I have no cell phone!!!! :eek:

abijnk
Jul 11, 2008, 06:52 PM
Just wondering if you guys were able to get your phones up and running?I was able to activate around 12:00.

What color/size did you guys get? I went with the white one. :)

ncsmith4
Jul 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
Black 16GB

E-Tech
Jul 11, 2008, 10:57 PM
I wast at the store at 5:38AM didn't get out until 1PM with 2 iPhone's 1 Black & 1 White.

jmaxima
Jul 12, 2008, 02:30 AM
Was the 5th person waiting to enter the store when the announcement was made that the servers stopped responding and no more phones could be activated. This was after a 6 hour wait...

They gave tickets to guarantee the spot at 9am the next morning...

The only thing is that I went to a store closer to work, which is 25 miles away. The Apple store closer to home is only 5 miles away...

The activation process really made for a frustrating and awful launch day.

abijnk
Jul 12, 2008, 03:04 PM
Was the 5th person waiting to enter the store when the announcement was made that the servers stopped responding and no more phones could be activated. This was after a 6 hour wait...

They gave tickets to guarantee the spot at 9am the next morning...

The only thing is that I went to a store closer to work, which is 25 miles away. The Apple store closer to home is only 5 miles away...

The activation process really made for a frustrating and awful launch day.

Huh? At Manhattan Village, Manhattan Beach, CA? I was the 35th person in line and by the time I got in there the activation servers were already hosed. They didn't tell us to come back though, they just sent us on our way...

hiltigger
Jul 12, 2008, 03:22 PM
I seriously think that AT&T was trying to get more people to purchase iPhone through them. For those of you trying make purchases at the Apple store, I'm sure you all ran in to the nice little "IRU Account Error".

Basically, what this thing is as far as I can tell has to do with having had a business discount through work or anything like that. They were telling us in line to make sure we canceled any discounts we might have before the Apple Store could process us, and what I found out the hard way was that they needed to clear out any indication that you had a discount in the past. I had one about three years ago, and had asked to speak to a manager about it (after about five previous calls). Finally got the manager to clear that somewhere on my account and went back to the Apple Store (after going to an AT&T store like they had suggested and being told that nothing was wrong with my account, but that I HAD to order through AT&T). First time through didn't work, and I called them one more time, and spoke to a a great rep who removed the last thing (whatever it was), and it FINALLY went through. There was also a guy there that I saw in the morning who had been on the phone for an hour and a half... hopefully he got his.

All in all it was a thoroughly frustrating experience, but glad I got it at least. MAJOR KUDOS to the staff at the Apple Store and AT&T who did what they could to get things resolved. I know it was a long day for them as well as for me.

Oh, and also saw Jordan Farmar in there the second time. My guess is that he didn't wait in line, but I guess I'm not too surprised about that...

16GB, black. Yay!

rannddeee
Jul 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
i was not fortunate enough to get inline early friday so i'm still stuck with my razr. does anyone if the store will have some in stock tomorrow?

abijnk
Jul 13, 2008, 06:42 PM
I drove by the store about an hour ago, the line was still almost down to the Macy's entrance...

rannddeee
Jul 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
I drove by the store about an hour ago, the line was still almost down to the Macy's entrance...

are you serious? i was thinking of going there tomorrow at 8 am.

abijnk
Jul 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
So, I drive by this store on my way to work every morning. And just for fun I decided to see if there was a line still today, thinking of course that there was no way there could be. But lo' and behold there was a line half way to the Macy's door!!!!

theigs
Jul 16, 2008, 03:46 PM
Just went by about an hour ago.
Thought it was too good to be true as I walked right into the store.
They are sold out.
More tomorrow?

I hope so.
I've spent more on gas checking on the lines than the price of the phone.
:)

UCLAkers
Jul 17, 2008, 04:14 AM
Just went by about an hour ago.
Thought it was too good to be true as I walked right into the store.
They are sold out.
More tomorrow?

I hope so.
I've spent more on gas checking on the lines than the price of the phone.
:)

no worries, according to the apple 3G iphone availability chart (updated for thurs 7/17), all 3 models will be restocked for tomorrow. apparently as of now, manhattan beach, century city, glendale, and a couple of stores in SD are the only apple stores in all of cali that are gonna have all 3 models fully stocked again. pretty crazy. look at all the red marks of unavailability on that chart haha.

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html?state=CA