PDA

View Full Version : Village Pointe - Omaha, NE

eswank
Jun 14, 2008, 11:12 PM
Who's in? I know I am.

MacGeek Pro
Jun 15, 2008, 12:39 AM
I might be in. I'm in Lincoln. Haven't decided if I am going to AT&T locally or going to the Apple Store in Omaha. We'll see.

alphajerk
Jun 15, 2008, 08:08 AM
We don't even have 3G in Omaha, right? I'm going to hold on to my current model until we do.

ipodtouchy333
Jun 15, 2008, 08:24 AM
Wow, there are some Omahans on here! ^ No we don't have 3g yet, but we will definitely have it by the end of the year. I just read an article in The World Herald and it was talking about AT&T and the new iPhone and said AT&T would have 3g in Omaha and Lincoln by the end of the year.

I really hope they release the iphones when the store opens but it looks like it will be 6pm like last year.

millertime416
Jun 16, 2008, 06:47 PM
If we get 3G by July 11th I may be there. Otherwise no way. Why pay an extra $10 a month for a phone made of inferior quality materials (i.e. plastic back)? But IF we get 3G I might make the switch.

Although, I may go to the store just to see how EDGE on the original compares to the 3G model, and then ask an employee why my old phone works just as fast as the new model.

TheYellowAudi
Jun 17, 2008, 01:54 AM
Why pay an extra $10 a month for a phone made of inferior quality materials (i.e. plastic back)?

Inferior materials? Did you watch the keynote? The original back is made of silver plastic.....(not sure why black plastic makes it inferior) & the new one will actually have SUPERIOR materials as all of the buttons on it are to be made from metal, not plastic; ie: volume buttons, etc.

bradl
Jun 17, 2008, 02:12 AM
There's an Apple store in Omaha? Where?

I'm asking, because I was born/raised there, but moved about 10 years ago. I was back in February, but didn't see one there. Village Pointe.. Isn't that 156th & Dodge? If so, sweet.

BL.

millertime416
Jun 18, 2008, 08:14 AM
Inferior materials? Did you watch the keynote? The original back is made of silver plastic.....(not sure why black plastic makes it inferior) & the new one will actually have SUPERIOR materials as all of the buttons on it are to be made from metal, not plastic; ie: volume buttons, etc.

Nope, the original back was made of aluminum...I am holding one in my hand right now. Have you not even held an iPhone yet? You should, they are really impressive phones.

jayhawk11
Jun 18, 2008, 08:27 AM
There's an Apple store in Omaha? Where?

I'm asking, because I was born/raised there, but moved about 10 years ago. I was back in February, but didn't see one there. Village Pointe.. Isn't that 156th & Dodge? If so, sweet.

BL.

168th and Dodge, but yeah its there. Pretty sweet. At least one company realizes we aren't a bunch of farmers :p

I really want to go get one, especially with my employee accomodation pricing through Best Buy, but I just can't bring myself to do it when there is no 3G in Omaha, and Lawrence is sandwiched between Topeka and KC with absolutely no plan to get 3G anytime soon. Waste of money for me

bradl
Jun 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
168th and Dodge, but yeah its there. Pretty sweet. At least one company realizes we aren't a bunch of farmers :p

I really want to go get one, especially with my employee accomodation pricing through Best Buy, but I just can't bring myself to do it when there is no 3G in Omaha, and Lawrence is sandwiched between Topeka and KC with absolutely no plan to get 3G anytime soon. Waste of money for me

lol!

When I lived out there, I slowly saw everything west of 132nd and Dodge move from farmland and corn to where Village Pointe is now! My parents are out on 132nd between Dodge and Blondo. There was absolutely NOTHING out there from '88 till about '97. I could ride my bike down Dodge without a worry! now, I'm scared! :D

BTW. Omaha will be getting 3G before the end of the year (I'm guessing by November). Uncle of mine who worked on the 3G rollout in Oklahoma City mentioned that to me when I asked. I'd expect it to go out as far as Lincoln to the west, Fremont to the north/northwest, about 30 minutes north (maybe Blair), Council Bluffs to the east, and maybe all the way down I-29 to St. Joseph where it connects to 3G in Kansas City.

But it is definitely coming.

BL.

TheYellowAudi
Jun 19, 2008, 08:18 PM
Have you not even held an iPhone yet?
Yessir, I've been holding my iPhone since June 29th, 2007 (as my signature points out.) As a US Navy P-3 Flight Engineer, and metalsmith, (worked with aircraft aluminum for many years) I'm fairly confident in my ability to know aluminum when I feel/hear it. Try this, tap the back of your iPhone with your fingernail, then tap ANY aluminum surface (MacBook Pro case, Mac Pro case, Apple Cinema HD frame, etc) and listen to the difference in the timbre. The back of the iPhone is OBVIOUSLY plastic.
Regardless, I will be in line for a new one, and from the looks of it, at the Apple Store at Village Pointe, in Omaha, while on my vacation to visit the 'rents. Maybe we'll run into each other.

millertime416
Jun 20, 2008, 12:03 AM
Sorry, to keep harping on this...and I don't want to come across as a jerk but the internet can be a big source disinformation and frustration. Especially if you want to find something accurate in forums. It will really bother me if these boards become such a place.

Anyway, the move from a metal to plastic back has been a huge story recently. Simply googling the topic will result in a massive amount of information. Here are some sources I found in about 3 min of searching:

Here is a hands on article from MacWorld (a reliable source) regarding changes from the original iPhone. Midway down you should find the quote:
“The biggest cosmetic changes are on the back panel, which is now shiny plastic instead of metal.” http://www.macworld.com/article/133856/2008/06/iphone_3g_hands_on.html

Another article… Towards the end you will find the quote, “Finally, given Apple's decision to ditch the metal case and add a plastic back to the iPhone it will be interesting how this ties with its commitment to producing greener products.”
http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39245603,00.htm

And another. Here you will find the quote "The big difference is its back, which is made of shiny plastic rather than the shiny metal of the old model."
“http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008/06/09/iphone_keynote_post/”

Here is another description from wikipedia. Again you will find the description “Rear view of an original iPhone. The back is made of metal and black plastic.” (Note: Only the black part is plastic, silver is metal)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

Also, I can't remember where i found it but i have a video of last years keynote where Jobs announces it and he specifically talks about the "gorgeous metal back"

I can also personally garuntee that it was a metal back because on my previous iPhone I replaced the back myself with a differernt colored metal back that i bought off ebay.

If your still not convinced call apple support, or visit an apple store and ask any sales staff. Or heck you could even call the village pointe store yourself at (402) 970-4477.

I hope this has resolved the issue. Again, I do not want to come across as being mean, but i really hate when false information gets spread around message boards.

ipodtouchy333
Jun 20, 2008, 09:20 AM
I actually like the new plastic back. I will be getting the white one definitely. I also heard they used the plastic back for better reception and also to cheapen it but it does provide better recepetion.

bradl
Jun 20, 2008, 01:22 PM
I actually like the new plastic back. I will be getting the white one definitely. I also heard they used the plastic back for better reception and also to cheapen it but it does provide better recepetion.

I don't think it has more to do with better phone reception than it does have to do with use of GPS. It's the GPS that would have some issues with the metal back, that plastic would alleviate (so I've read, but hey, this is MacRUMORS!)

Either way, I'm torn still. don't know if I'd do black or white. Depends on how it looks with me!

BL.

ipodtouchy333
Jun 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
Me too. ^ At first I definitely thought black (16gb) but the white has been growing on me ever since. Plus, I like the fact that there will be fewer white ones all around and you won't be able to see smudges as much as the black.

TheYellowAudi
Jun 23, 2008, 04:55 AM
I hope this has resolved the issue. Again, I do not want to come across as being mean, but i really hate when false information gets spread around message boards.

Nope, you're totally right, and I'm totally wrong- and I made an ass out myself in the process. I apologize to you and others on the board for my mis-info.
While it sounds ridiculous, I've had the "Invisi-shield" on mine since I bought it, which (obviously) gave it a very plasticy look, sound & feel. I took it off, and immediatly saw the errors of my way. (For what it's worth, the phone looks as good as it did the day I bought it, but the covering had turned a pretty ugly yellow)
Next time, I'll do a little research before I go shootin' my keyboard off.....

jayhawk11
Jun 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
Nope, you're totally right, and I'm totally wrong- and I made an ass out myself in the process. I apologize to you and others on the board for my mis-info.
While it sounds ridiculous, I've had the "Invisi-shield" on mine since I bought it, which (obviously) gave it a very plasticy look, sound & feel. I took it off, and immediatly saw the errors of my way. (For what it's worth, the phone looks as good as it did the day I bought it, but the covering had turned a pretty ugly yellow)
Next time, I'll do a little research before I go shootin' my keyboard off.....

Don't sweat it man. We've all had our moments like that. Some more than others, especially in the MacBook Pro forum :p

We're all still pro-apple though, and nothing we do will make us worse than PC :cool:

alphajerk
Jun 26, 2008, 11:00 AM
I have a friend who works at AT&T and he has heard November for 3G.

bradl
Jun 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
I have a friend who works at AT&T and he has heard November for 3G.

This melds with what my uncle had mentioned, so I'd expect it there by then, if not end of the year.

BL.

ipodtouchy333
Jun 27, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hey again, I was just wondering if any of you already have AT&T.... how is the coverage here in Omaha? I have heard it is ok but I am switching from Verizon to AT&T for the first time. Thanks! Come on July 11 !!!!!!!

bradl
Jun 27, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hey again, I was just wondering if any of you already have AT&T.... how is the coverage here in Omaha? I have heard it is ok but I am switching from Verizon to AT&T for the first time. Thanks! Come on July 11 !!!!!!!

Coverage has been great for me every time I've been back home to Omaha. full coverage out as far as Fremont to the west, Seward to the southwest, all the way down I-29 to Kansas City, all the way west to Des Moines, up I-29 to Sioux City, and then some. You should have no problem with coverage at all unless you go out west to somewhere like Valentine or Chadron. Omaha? Pretty much covered.

BL.

millertime416
Jun 28, 2008, 01:59 AM
I was in the same boat as you, I switched from Verizon to AT&T. I would say that AT&T in omaha is good but not great. I had Verizon for about 2 years and amazingly had zero dropped calls. However, having had the iPhone for about 3 months I would say that I have about 2-3 dropped calls a week. There are also times when calls will fail on initial attempts. Although, AT&T is not quite as good as Verizon (I think few would dispute this) it is acceptable. And given the amazing capabilities of the iPhone, I don't think you will mind the slight decrease in service.

I will note that while there are definitely dead zones in omaha with absolutely no service at all (e.g. Target store at 125th & L st), there are also areas where I am surprised to find 4-5 bars. For example a lake near Elkhorn, where I never used to get Verizon service.

So in sum, as long as your getting an iPhone i would recommend switching to AT&T. But for any other phone - no way.

ipodtouchy333
Jun 28, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys ! Now I am really exicted for July 11 and happy to hear AT&T is good in Omaha, and we will have 3g by the end of the year too....wooohooo!

alphajerk
Jun 30, 2008, 02:47 PM
My wife just switched from AT&T to Verizon because she couldn't get a signal most of the time at Bergan-Mercy Hospital. She has to use her phone all the time and it was impossible. A co-worker of hers bought an Iphone and returned it because it was useless in the hospital.

I've had the occasional dropped call, almost always when I am driving around, never when I'm stationary.

DocSmitty
Jul 1, 2008, 10:12 AM
Is there any way to get this future 3g coverage info from AT&T? I live in Lincoln and my calls to support and sales were failures. One person even told me Lincoln already had 3g, because she couldn't tell the difference between the blues on the map.

All I see online is their "many more markets by the end of year!" line over and over.. I've heard people talk about calling to find out when their market will get it... does anyone know where we could get "official" information?

ipodtouchy333
Jul 1, 2008, 11:12 AM
DocSmitty.......... A few days after WWDC, there was an article in the Omaha World Herald (daily paper) about the new iPhone and AT&T. Of course the point of the article was the about the 3g service and it said that Omaha and Lincoln will be getting 3g by the end of the year. Another person on this thread also said he talked to someone at AT&T and received info on 3g for this year also. I guess this is all the proof we have so far, but I do expect 3g in Omaha and Lincoln by the end of the year.

geerlingguy
Jul 6, 2008, 07:21 PM
I hope to make it on Friday; probably either in the afternoon (if the iPhone is available at 8 a.m.), or maybe later in the night (say 8 or 9 p.m.) if the iPhone is released at 6 p.m.

I come from St. Louis, where we have two Apple Stores to choose from; but the Village Point one is a little better than either of my hometown stores! However, parking for Villiage Point is kind of odd, in my opinion :rolleyes:.

ipodtouchy333
Jul 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
I hope to make it on Friday; probably either in the afternoon (if the iPhone is available at 8 a.m.), or maybe later in the night (say 8 or 9 p.m.) if the iPhone is released at 6 p.m.

I come from St. Louis, where we have two Apple Stores to choose from; but the Village Point one is a little better than either of my hometown stores! However, parking for Villiage Point is kind of odd, in my opinion :rolleyes:.

They already announced they would go on sale at 8 a.m. Friday morning. I do agree though, that even though I love Village Point, the parking at the Apple store may be pretty well packed but o well, it's worth it right? I will just be heading to an AT&T store about 20 minutes before opening, it's a lot closer than the Apple store and I will be new to AT&T so figure it would be easier.....hopefully.

By the way, anyone see the iPhone article in today's paper (Sunday) ?

infecti0n
Jul 7, 2008, 08:33 AM
No 3G until November in Omaha = a deal breaker for me. I'll be unfortunately waiting until AT&T gets their act together in Omaha. It's too bad they didn't consider getting the 3G up earlier...they would get more customers on board sooner. Perhaps that "iPhone Pro" will be announced a couple of months later at Macworld. If I can wait until November, I can wait until Jan.

MacGeek Pro
Jul 9, 2008, 12:12 AM
Okay, I am officially going to Omaha (I'm based in Lincoln) for the full "apple Experience." Yes, I know the lines will be a bit longer, but what the heck? At least I can pick up some accessories as well.

Anyone else going to be there from MacRumors? This thread has gotten a bit off topic, and not very many people have said whether or not they are going.

I am planning to show up around 6:00 or 6:30 am.

geerlingguy
Jul 9, 2008, 07:03 AM
Okay, I am officially going to Omaha (I'm based in Lincoln) for the full "apple Experience." Yes, I know the lines will be a bit longer, but what the heck? At least I can pick up some accessories as well.

Anyone else going to be there from MacRumors? This thread has gotten a bit off topic, and not very many people have said whether or not they are going.

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until something like 1 or 2 p.m. to go; but I will be there nonetheless. Hopefully the crowds will not be so bad then; I imagine crowds will be heavy in the early morning, and then the evening. But you never know with these things.

bradl
Jul 9, 2008, 01:11 PM

Here's an idea.. Are you looking at getting the InvisibleShield for the phone? Also, do you go to (or have gone to) UNL? If so, check to see if your email address there still works (FAN discount), plus there is an Zagg Kiosk on UNL's campus. You could stop off there, grab it, then head up to Village Pointe, or head up there, grab the phone, drive back, and have them install it for you.

Damn, I wish I were back home. I could visit my parents, and since they're close to Village Pointe, I could ride my bike there! Blondo goes all the way through! :D

BL.

MacGeek Pro
Jul 9, 2008, 09:08 PM
Here's an idea.. Are you looking at getting the InvisibleShield for the phone? Also, do you go to (or have gone to) UNL? If so, check to see if your email address there still works (FAN discount), plus there is an Zagg Kiosk on UNL's campus. You could stop off there, grab it, then head up to Village Pointe, or head up there, grab the phone, drive back, and have them install it for you.

Damn, I wish I were back home. I could visit my parents, and since they're close to Village Pointe, I could ride my bike there! Blondo goes all the way through! :D

BL.

Unfortunately, my college days are over a year gone. I just checked to see if I could even access my old college email, but it has been deleted. And I didn't even go to UNL, went to USD in South Dakota.

runxc24
Jul 10, 2008, 11:15 PM
Well, less than 9 hours to go.

Unfortunately, I will not be driving to Omaha (I'm in Lincoln) tomorrow for several reasons.

-No 3G yet (Nebraska). I do realize we are likely to get it by year's end, but still. Might as well hold off.
-$70/month? A bit steep...
-I currently have about 9 months to go on my Sprint contract. I could pay the early termination fee, but obviously, would like to save some money here.
-I have a 9:15 final exam tomorrow at UNL. Hooray summer school!

I must admit, as soon as I'm ready to buy one, I'm there. Just not tomorrow. :)

Have fun everyone. Got to get back to studying...

infecti0n
Jul 11, 2008, 09:12 AM
Well, less than 9 hours to go.

Unfortunately, I will not be driving to Omaha (I'm in Lincoln) tomorrow for several reasons.

-No 3G yet (Nebraska). I do realize we are likely to get it by year's end, but still. Might as well hold off.

As I said above, it is absolutely amazing how AT&T has completely bypassed Omaha with regards to 3G coverage. They got Eugene, OR; Spokane, WA; and Jefferson City, MO....but no Omaha?!!?! Look I understand Omaha isn't exactly the Big Apple, but come on. Is it Altel's fault? It's like AT&T stopped on I-80 west of Chi Town and jumped over to Salt Lake City, UT. SALT LAKE FREAKIN' CITY!?!!?!? Oh well, they were generous enough to give us EDGE.

geerlingguy
Jul 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
As I said above, it is absolutely amazing how AT&T has completely bypassed Omaha with regards to 3G coverage. They got Eugene, OR; Spokane, WA; and Jefferson City, MO....but no Omaha?!!?! Look I understand Omaha isn't exactly the Big Apple, but come on. Is it Altel's fault? It's like AT&T stopped on I-80 west of Chi Town and jumped over to Salt Lake City, UT. SALT LAKE FREAKIN' CITY!?!!?!? Oh well, they were generous enough to give us EDGE.

It will come soon enough; there are a ton of small cities such as Omaha that still don't have coverage—especially in the Midwest. The sad reality is that most of these companies' major ($) customers are in the larger, more seaward areas.

geerlingguy
Jul 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
I just visited the store earlier; it seemed they had a ton of iPhones left. The AT&T store had none, though... and I have to go there to get mine since I'm going to be on a strange kind of family plan.

macbookairman
Jul 12, 2008, 12:07 AM
This melds with what my uncle had mentioned, so I'd expect it there by then, if not end of the year.

BL.

Omaha World Herald said November today as well.

bradl
Jul 14, 2008, 04:41 PM
Omaha World Herald said November today as well.

That settles that then!

Now, as far as 3G goes, I can understand them passing up Omaha until the end of this year, because you're getting out of a 'major' metropolitan area. Think about it. How many of those areas are along an interstate that is a major thoroughfare to a major city? Once you get out past Lincoln and staying on I-80, you have nothing major until Salt Lake City. Cheyenne? not big. Casper? not big. Rock Springs? not big. Kearney? North Platte? Ogallala? Hell.. Des Moines? Quad Cities?

So they had to take care of the major metro areas before Omaha. No big smegging deal. Omaha and Lincoln and Council Bluffs and Des Moines will get 3G. I'd expect the entire I-80 corridor, I-29 corridor and I-35 corridor to get it by the end of the year.

BL.

DamanZ06
Jul 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
So, does anyone know if they still have iphones at Village Point? Its says they dont online, but i hear it can be wrong.

ipodtouchy333
Jul 16, 2008, 08:57 AM
So, does anyone know if they still have iphones at Village Point? Its says they dont online, but i hear it can be wrong.

There was just an article in Fortune that was saying that 21 states are sold out of the new iPhone and NE is one of them. I read this yesterday though. I would just call them around 10-12 cause that's when they are most likely to get shipments in.

millertime416
Jul 17, 2008, 12:36 AM
Yes, they are out. I was just at the store this evening and they still have a sign out front that says "No 3G iPhones available today."

Good Luck

Fastshutter
Jul 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
There was just an article in Fortune that was saying that 21 states are sold out of the new iPhone and NE is one of them. I read this yesterday though. I would just call them around 10-12 cause that's when they are most likely to get shipments in.

Call them and find out for sure. I got mine when the website reported they had none in stock.. 16GB White. I'll be heading over there around 5:pm today to watch Batman at the theater. I'll post if they have any in stock.

ipodtouchy333
Jul 20, 2008, 08:24 AM
Call them and find out for sure. I got mine when the website reported they had none in stock.. 16GB White. I'll be heading over there around 5:pm today to watch Batman at the theater. I'll post if they have any in stock.

Thanks, but I was one of the fortunate ones who waited 4 hours on July 11 and got my 16gb white!