PDA

View Full Version : Peoria, IL

bigbarr
Jun 14, 2008, 11:14 PM
I suppose there is only one place in town. I'm off the 11th.

mistergadgett
Jun 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
Howdy,

How is the AT&T coverage in Peoria, IL? I live in Metamora and currently have a Blackberry on Verizon but I'm very tempted to switch to AT&T for the new 3G iPhone. I'm just concerned about not being able to make or receive calls when in Metamora, Peoria, East Peoria, or Mossville.

Any info/experiences you can share regarding that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

bigbarr
Jun 17, 2008, 09:44 PM
It's not bad. I mean verizon is definitely the best around here. I am very very rarely without reception. I will say though, that reception in CAT AC over in Mossville is great if you get into the interior parts of the building. Otherwise, Metamora, EP and Peoria are just fine. The service has improved since I got the first iphone and made the switch last year.

I'd say go for it. I'm happy with my decision. Where do you work?

aethelbert
Jun 17, 2008, 10:02 PM
Howdy,

How is the AT&T coverage in Peoria, IL? I live in Metamora and currently have a Blackberry on Verizon but I'm very tempted to switch to AT&T for the new 3G iPhone. I'm just concerned about not being able to make or receive calls when in Metamora, Peoria, East Peoria, or Mossville.

Any info/experiences you can share regarding that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I've got family in Germantown Hills and AT&T reception has always been good there. That's very close to Metamora, so I can't imagine that the quality of service would vary much between a few miles on 116.

mistergadgett
Jun 17, 2008, 10:14 PM
It's not bad. I mean verizon is definitely the best around here. I am very very rarely without reception. I will say though, that reception in CAT AC over in Mossville is great if you get into the interior parts of the building. Otherwise, Metamora, EP and Peoria are just fine. The service has improved since I got the first iphone and made the switch last year.

I'd say go for it. I'm happy with my decision. Where do you work?

I've had Verizon since moving to Metamora from Peoria about 4 years ago. We had SprintPCS at the time and couldn't get good reception in our house on the NW part of Metamora in the new sub divisions (along County Road 1500 North between 89 and Coal Bank Rd) or at my desk in TC-E-wing 900. We don't have a landline so we really needed the cell phones to work.

I work in the E3 area of CAT AC in Mossville now. I've heard some people complain about not getting good signals at their desks in AC but I think they sit in the D2 area toward the center of the building. I can't believe that Bloomington-Normal and Springfield have 3G and such wide voice coverage and Peoria doesn't! I keep checking the AT&T Coverage map every other day hoping to see expansion or 3G in Peoria but the 4/30/2008 map is still up there. :(

I think Verizon has the best coverage nationwide (I've been surprised about getting signal in the mountains in West Virginia) but I spend 95% of my time in Metamora, Peoria, East Peoria, Mossville, Chicago, and southern Indiana. So if AT&T works well there then I should be okay.

I'm sooooo tempted by the new 3G iPhone and we are outside of our contract with Verizon now. We have many Apple products at home already.

decisions, decisions.... :confused:

mistergadgett
Jun 21, 2008, 09:47 AM
I suppose there is only one place in town. I'm off the 11th.

Is the only place in town the place at Grand Prairie or by IHOP? :confused:

bigbarr
Jun 21, 2008, 10:26 AM
the store by ihop is now the only corporate store in the area. There was one by grand prarie, but they closed it down and moved to the one by ihop, which was previously not corporate owned. Mostly the same personnel from grand prarie store.

BrightestBear
Jul 2, 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm in Morton with AT&T service, and the coverage has generally been good. Much better than when I was with Sprint!

Now, are we all crazy for considering buying a new iPhone since we don't have 3G coverage in our area? Are we paying too much for technology we can't use? I've long wanted an iPhone; I'm just trying to convince myself that it's worth spending more on a monthly plan when we won't have the benefits of the 3G network. Has anybody else struggled with this issue?

bigbarr
Jul 2, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm in Morton with AT&T service, and the coverage has generally been good. Much better than when I was with Sprint!

Now, are we all crazy for considering buying a new iPhone since we don't have 3G coverage in our area? Are we paying too much for technology we can't use? I've long wanted an iPhone; I'm just trying to convince myself that it's worth spending more on a monthly plan when we won't have the benefits of the 3G network. Has anybody else struggled with this issue?

Nah, we'll have 3g when we travel (even as close as bloomington). I sold my iphone for 450 on ebay. So I'm getting the 16gb, and I figure even if I am only on edge, I'll get way better battery life and double the storage, better built in speakers. And I will pocket some money. 3g or not, it's still the best phone out there.

BrightestBear
Jul 2, 2008, 10:21 AM
Nah, we'll have 3g when we travel (even as close as bloomington). I sold my iphone for 450 on ebay. So I'm getting the 16gb, and I figure even if I am only on edge, I'll get way better battery life and double the storage, better built in speakers. And I will pocket some money. 3g or not, it's still the best phone out there.

OK, that was the boost I was looking for. Edge isn't that bad, 3G is in the surrounding areas, and we'll get 3G coverage here eventually, right? Plus ... shiny new phone!

bigbarr
Jul 2, 2008, 10:27 AM
OK, that was the boost I was looking for. Edge isn't that bad, 3G is in the surrounding areas, and we'll get 3G coverage here eventually, right? Plus ... shiny new phone!

Keywords: Shiney and New!

DanielQ
Jul 2, 2008, 07:56 PM
I'm debating getting the iphone. I'm not with ATT and Peoria doesn't have 3G... should I?

Any idea when Peoria will get 3G coverage?

mistergadgett
Jul 5, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'm debating getting the iphone. I'm not with ATT and Peoria doesn't have 3G... should I?

Any idea when Peoria will get 3G coverage?

I'm pretty much in the same boat! Tough choice. I've got the BlackBerry 8130 on Verizon in the Peoria area. I've been pretty happy with that setup but I'm an :apple: guy so am very tempted by the iPhone 3G prospects. The web browser on the Blackberry could use some work as well.

I've read in a HowardForums post that some ATT store manager in Peoria said 3G in 2009. I also just read that Evansville, IN (I went to high school just west of there) had 3G flipped on a few days ago. The Peoria-Metro area is like 20,000 people larger than the Evansville-Metro area. The 3G coverage in Bloomington also seems to stretch a peculiar amount towards Peoria as well.

I'm leaning towards taking out a new ATT line (number) to try the iPhone 3G for 30 days in the Peoria area to make sure I can make voice calls from home, work, and the main shopping areas of Peoria. Also hope the EDGE data coverage is decent around here too.

mistergadgett
Jul 5, 2008, 09:13 PM

BrightestBear, ever travel to Metamora, Mossville (CAT AC), East Peoria (CAT CV), Washington (Kroger), or Peoria (Target/Grand Prairie/Metro Center) with that ATT phone? I'm curious how the ATT coverage is in those areas which are the areas we are in the most. ;)

DanielQ
Jul 6, 2008, 01:47 AM
I'm particularly interested in the coverage around the Bradley campus as I'll be living there this fall. I heard from some past students that ATT has poor coverage there.

Even if I can't use 3G for a while I think I'd still like the iPhone as long as I can get decent call coverage and Edge usage.

BrightestBear
Jul 6, 2008, 09:38 AM
DanielQ, I work at Bradley, and I've never had trouble getting service for my phone in my office and around campus. However, I don't know about the reception in the dorms and student-heavy areas. Maybe you could Facebook some random students and ask? :p

mistergadgett, I've never had trouble with reception in Peoria, especially in those shopping areas. Occasionally I've lost service for a blip while on 474, but I can count on my phone to work in Peoria. My husband works in East Peoria, and he occasionally can't get service in his office. But when he's outside of his office, it's never a problem, and I've always had service in East Peoria (including the Kroger's). I can't help you out with Metamora, Mossville or Washington, though. Sorry!

Also, mistergadgett, the Peoria AT&T employee I spoke to a few weeks ago said he didn't think we'd have 3G coverage any earlier than 2010. I have no idea if he was basing that on actual information or if it was just a wild guess.

Inf4life
Jul 6, 2008, 07:25 PM
Is anyone going to be camping out for it?? If I don't have to go to Chicago Friday then I'm thinking about getting up there early in the morning. I talked to the manager and she said they only got 20 total last year at launch time. I wonder if they are going to get more since they are cheaper this year??

DanielQ
Jul 6, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thank you very much, BrightestBear. That helps. ;)

As for me, I won't be camping out. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't anticipate supply being a huge issue in our area.

insanemetalhead
Jul 6, 2008, 08:43 PM
You guys are worried about coverage in Peoria? I'm from the Galesburg (living in Schaumburg currently) and I wonder if I will get service when I visit family or people in the sticks for that matter.

Inf4life
Jul 7, 2008, 10:29 AM
I currently live in Galesburg and I think that the service here is ok. I will be switching from Sprint to ATT just for this iPhone. But I travel to Chicago a lot so the 3G will definitely come in handy. Plus, I'm moving to Texas in October and the 3G coverage in the area is great. Hopefully, I won't have to go to Chicago friday and will be able to go up there early to get one. I'm definitely wanting the 16GB in black, if I can't get it in black then I will wait or order one off the Apple Store.

insanemetalhead
Jul 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
I currently live in Galesburg and I think that the service here is ok. I will be switching from Sprint to ATT just for this iPhone. But I travel to Chicago a lot so the 3G will definitely come in handy. Plus, I'm moving to Texas in October and the 3G coverage in the area is great. Hopefully, I won't have to go to Chicago friday and will be able to go up there early to get one. I'm definitely wanting the 16GB in black, if I can't get it in black then I will wait or order one off the Apple Store.

According to my friend at CSC, he said one of the staff members had to return his iPhone because they could only get reception near the interstate.

Inf4life
Jul 7, 2008, 01:30 PM
According to my friend at CSC, he said one of the staff members had to return his iPhone because they could only get reception near the interstate.

Well, I mainly use my phone for texting. I don't use a lot of minutes talking so if it only works sometimes then I can deal with that.

Looks like I'll be in Chicago on friday so hopefully I can score one up there at one of the stores they have.

mistergadgett
Jul 7, 2008, 07:59 PM

What's CSC?

mistergadgett
Jul 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
Is anyone going to be camping out for it?? If I don't have to go to Chicago Friday then I'm thinking about getting up there early in the morning. I talked to the manager and she said they only got 20 total last year at launch time. I wonder if they are going to get more since they are cheaper this year??

I wonder if they sold out of the 20 the first time around (I wonder if there are 20 iPhone users in the Peoria area? :eek:) If they do sell out, I wonder how soon they will get restocked.

mistergadgett
Jul 7, 2008, 08:12 PM
BrightestBear, thanks for the info. Getting additional points of reference are always nice. :D

I figure AT&T's 3G rollout plan changes every quarter based on the financial results for the previous quarter. I guess I would be surprised if the store managers knew more than a month prior to their area actually getting 3G. :( Maybe Caterpillar will switch from VerizonWireless to AT&T and then the entire tri-county area would be oozing with 3G data. (a guy can always dream, right? ;) )

DanielQ, I work at Bradley, and I've never had trouble getting service for my phone in my office and around campus. However, I don't know about the reception in the dorms and student-heavy areas. Maybe you could Facebook some random students and ask? :p

mistergadgett, I've never had trouble with reception in Peoria, especially in those shopping areas. Occasionally I've lost service for a blip while on 474, but I can count on my phone to work in Peoria. My husband works in East Peoria, and he occasionally can't get service in his office. But when he's outside of his office, it's never a problem, and I've always had service in East Peoria (including the Kroger's). I can't help you out with Metamora, Mossville or Washington, though. Sorry!

Also, mistergadgett, the Peoria AT&T employee I spoke to a few weeks ago said he didn't think we'd have 3G coverage any earlier than 2010. I have no idea if he was basing that on actual information or if it was just a wild guess.

Inf4life
Jul 7, 2008, 08:39 PM
What's CSC?

Carl Sandburg College

Inf4life
Jul 7, 2008, 08:41 PM
I wonder if they sold out of the 20 the first time around (I wonder if there are 20 iPhone users in the Peoria area? :eek:) If they do sell out, I wonder how soon they will get restocked.

I'm pretty sure they did. I talked to the manager and she said a lot of people have been asking about it. Plus, when I was at the ATT store someone called in asking how many Iphone's they were getting. So I'm sure the demand is there.

If they do sell out I would wonder when they would restock as well.

bigbarr
Jul 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
they did sell out the first time. I was 4th in line and they had less than 20 for sure. by 6pm there were so many people in line for those 16 phones it was funny!

insanemetalhead
Jul 8, 2008, 04:12 AM
they did sell out the first time. I was 4th in line and they had less than 20 for sure. by 6pm there were so many people in line for those 16 phones it was funny!

I went to get "iReady" yesterday at the Rolling Meadows store. I asked the guy if there was gonna be plenty of stock but all the info he gave me was that he had to work from 7am to 10pm and there was a huge question mark on the stock. God I hope they have plenty of 16 gb black iPhones.

BrightestBear
Jul 8, 2008, 07:26 AM

How early did you show up to get in line?

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 07:35 AM
How early did you show up to get in line?

That's what I'm wondering too.

BrightestBear
Jul 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
... with the understanding, of course, that Friday's launch is a completely different beast and won't be identical to the original launch for a number of reasons. But I'm still curious!

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 08:38 AM
... with the understanding, of course, that Friday's launch is a completely different beast and won't be identical to the original launch for a number of reasons. But I'm still curious!

So do you think there will be more or less people?

bigbarr
Jul 8, 2008, 08:49 AM
i got there around 1:30 or 2p. I wasn't planning on getting there early, but i drove by and saw a line.

No clue if the line will be bigger.

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 09:48 AM
i got there around 1:30 or 2p. I wasn't planning on getting there early, but i drove by and saw a line.

No clue if the line will be bigger.

and you were 4th??

bigbarr
Jul 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
yeah, they only allowed 3 customers in at a time and I went in first of the second group. I'm not sure of your inflection. Did you think I should have been further back in line or closer to the front?

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 12:50 PM
I was just saying that you got there at 130 and were 4th in line. That means that the demand wasn't that high if they still had Iphones available at 2pm and they only had less than 20 to begin with. It doesn't really matter because I'm going to be in Chicago on friday anyways and will hopefully be able to buy one up there.

BrightestBear
Jul 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
I was just saying that you got there at 130 and were 4th in line. That means that the demand wasn't that high if they still had Iphones available at 2pm and they only had less than 20 to begin with. It doesn't really matter because I'm going to be in Chicago on friday anyways and will hopefully be able to buy one up there.

Last year, sales started at 6 p.m., not 8 a.m. Could you be confused about that? No iPhones were available at 2 p.m. I think what bigbarr is saying is that s/he had to wait in line close to four hours before the doors opened and was fourth in line at that point. (Forgive me for speaking for you, bigbarr!)

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 01:36 PM
Last year, sales started at 6 p.m., not 8 a.m. Could you be confused about that? No iPhones were available at 2 p.m. I think what bigbarr is saying is that s/he had to wait in line close to four hours before the doors opened and was fourth in line at that point. (Forgive me for speaking for you, bigbarr!)

Ahhh, yea, i totally forgot about that. My fault.

bigbarr
Jul 8, 2008, 09:34 PM
that's right. I had to wait a while. Only one store in the area. And that means you have to get there early.

And I'm a "he". (Thanks for being gender-sensitive though! :)

bigbarr
Jul 8, 2008, 09:35 PM
so back to the subject at hand, who will be there at 8am on Friday up by target?

Inf4life
Jul 8, 2008, 09:57 PM
If I didn't have to be in Chicago that day I would be there around 3am.

creeman
Jul 9, 2008, 12:15 AM
I also live in Galesburg and everyone who says the AT&T coverage sucks is a liar. I have great service all around town. I think i will be going to the davenport store to get my iphone, but im really not looking forward to paying for 3G with no 3G network around. Oh well, will be glad to get the new iphone, loved the one i had before!

insanemetalhead
Jul 9, 2008, 04:25 AM
I also live in Galesburg and everyone who says the AT&T coverage sucks is a liar. I have great service all around town. I think i will be going to the davenport store to get my iphone, but im really not looking forward to paying for 3G with no 3G network around. Oh well, will be glad to get the new iphone, loved the one i had before!

Yes but can you get service in Abingdon? I own a home in Abingdon that's currently being rented (evicting them unless they pay here soon) and I have family there too.

Inf4life
Jul 9, 2008, 07:14 AM
Yes but can you get service in Abingdon? I own a home in Abingdon that's currently being rented (evicting them unless they pay here soon) and I have family there too.

I know that with Sprint I can't get any service in Abingdon at all.

insanemetalhead
Jul 9, 2008, 05:05 PM
I know that with Sprint I can't get any service in Abingdon at all.

that sucks. No biggies I usually don't like people calling me anyway. I can always steal my wife's phone when I head into town. I hope they extend service to Abingdon. It's gonna suck not having service after during the second year. my friend at CSC was trying to get AT&T to bring some support to the area but he said that's going no where.

creeman
Jul 9, 2008, 10:30 PM

Im not sure as i never go to Abingdon. My family has a family plan with 5 people on it, and I would like to see AT&T better their service here in Galesburg.

brett33
Jul 10, 2008, 01:46 AM

Hey man, I'm originally from Peoria, but now in Texas, where are you going to be moving in Texas?

BrightestBear
Jul 10, 2008, 06:30 AM
So has anybody tried to pin our AT&T store down recently on how many phones they'll have tomorrow?

Inf4life
Jul 10, 2008, 07:26 AM
Hey man, I'm originally from Peoria, but now in Texas, where are you going to be moving in Texas?

Fort Hood/Killeen

Inf4life
Jul 10, 2008, 07:27 AM
So has anybody tried to pin our AT&T store down recently on how many phones they'll have tomorrow?

I was in there last week and the manager said that she wouldn't say even if she did know. So I'm sure that you won't be able to find out till you get in there. I'm going to take a wild guess and say probably 50.

insanemetalhead
Jul 10, 2008, 08:48 AM
1 more day. I'm freaking excited guys...

Inf4life
Jul 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
Ok, so change in plans. I'm not going to Chicago tomorrow. So I'll definitely be up there camped out tonight. Who all is gonna be there and what time is everyone arriving??

DanielQ
Jul 10, 2008, 11:12 PM
You're camping out all night!? Wow.

Me, I probably won't show up till about an hour before they open. I really don't think supply will be an issue since there's no 3G coverge in Peoria. If I'm wrong, eh, I'll get one after they get a new shipment.

BrightestBear
Jul 11, 2008, 06:17 AM
You're camping out all night!? Wow.

Me, I probably won't show up till about an hour before they open. I really don't think supply will be an issue since there's no 3G coverge in Peoria. If I'm wrong, eh, I'll get one after they get a new shipment.

That's what I'm hoping, too. I'm dying to get my new phone, but if I have to, I'll wait for the new shipment on Saturday or (God forbid) Monday.

DanielQ
Jul 11, 2008, 06:17 AM
Any new updates on Peoria?

I changed my mind. I'm not coming till opening time... if they're out they're out. I don't feel like waiting an hour and a half (let alone all night) is worth it.

BrightestBear
Jul 11, 2008, 06:36 AM
My husband and I are doing the family plan thing, but he can't be there until close to 10 a.m. DanielQ or Inf4life, could one of you post an update about what's going on there once you've got your sexy new iPhone in your hands? I'm not optimistic about showing up two hours after opening, but if one of you tells me there was nobody else in line, then I'll give it a shot.

DanielQ
Jul 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
My husband and I are doing the family plan thing, but he can't be there until close to 10 a.m. DanielQ or Inf4life, could one of you post an update about what's going on there once you've got your sexy new iPhone in your hands? I'm not optimistic about showing up two hours after opening, but if one of you tells me there was nobody else in line, then I'll give it a shot.

Will do!

Inf4life
Jul 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
I was 5th in line and there were about 50 people behind me. I'm pretty sure that they only had about 30 phones. When I was inside talking to the employees I guessed 50 and they laughed. Then I said 30 and they said that was a pretty good estimate. I got the 16GB Black. iTunes was down at the time so they couldn't activate our phones. They said we could do it from home.

DanielQ
Jul 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah. There where a good 50-60 people or so in line. I was like 40-45ish. I didn't get a phone. They ran out.

They did allow you to preorder it and it should get here in 3-5 days... so hopefully they'll have it for me by monday.

But yeah, they're totally out of stock now of all models.

BrightestBear
Jul 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
I rolled in at 9:45 to check things out. I didn't order a phone because I'm scared of the upper end of the delivery estimate. Do I want to wait seven days for my phone to arrive? No! (I'm assuming the delivery days were weekdays, not weekends, so I didn't count Saturday or Sunday. I may have made a mistake on that, although nobody at the AT&T store could tell me for sure.)

I'm gambling that they'll get another shipment in tonight for tomorrow or at least for Monday. If not, I'll order then ... and curse myself that if I'd just ordered on launch day, I'd probably have my phone by then!

mistergadgett
Jul 11, 2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah. There where a good 50-60 people or so in line. I was like 40-45ish. I didn't get a phone. They ran out.

They did allow you to preorder it and it should get here in 3-5 days... so hopefully they'll have it for me by monday.

But yeah, they're totally out of stock now of all models.

I was listening to WBNQ (101.5FM) this morning on the way to work and they said there were like 200 people lined up outside the AT&T store in Bloomington.

Did anyone pop "The Question" again while at the store today? ("The Question" == 'Will Peoria see 3G soon?') :)

It also looks like AT&T updated their wireless coverage map.

Inf4life
Jul 11, 2008, 06:49 PM
I didn't even bother asking. I'm in Galesburg so it doesn't really matter for me.

DanielQ
Jul 11, 2008, 08:13 PM
I was listening to WBNQ (101.5FM) this morning on the way to work and they said there were like 200 people lined up outside the AT&T store in Bloomington.

Did anyone pop "The Question" again while at the store today? ("The Question" == 'Will Peoria see 3G soon?') :)

It also looks like AT&T updated their wireless coverage map.

Ah! I totally forgot to! That was one of the main questions I planned on asking. I'll ask when I pick up the one I ordered. They probably won't have any answer though.

insanemetalhead
Jul 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
I went to two AT&T stores. One sold out of the Black 16 gig, and the second one only had 17 when I was the 25th in line. So I went to the Woodfield mall apple store. I arrived there at 9am finally got in around 2pm. I had my phone, my nice ass black and red case and turns out US cellular wouldn't release my number cause of a password. So I called them and they wouldn't release any info to me. Pissed me off. I was told by them that since I was on the account I could make any changes and get any info on there account. Not the case here. They wouldn't give me crap and just as I asked for a supervisor my phone dies. No iPhone today, but it won't evade me next time.

mistergadgett
Jul 11, 2008, 11:11 PM
I went to two AT&T stores. One sold out of the Black 16 gig, and the second one only had 17 when I was the 25th in line. So I went to the Woodfield mall apple store. I arrived there at 9am finally got in around 2pm. I had my phone, my nice ass black and red case and turns out US cellular wouldn't release my number cause of a password. So I called them and they wouldn't release any info to me. Pissed me off. I was told by them that since I was on the account I could make any changes and get any info on there account. Not the case here. They wouldn't give me crap and just as I asked for a supervisor my phone dies. No iPhone today, but it won't evade me next time.

What kind of password could they be asking for? How are you suppose to know what the password is anyhow? :confused:

DanielQ
Jul 11, 2008, 11:44 PM

I'm sorry things didn't work out. I've had bad experiences with U.S. cellular in the past as well.

uicandrew
Jul 12, 2008, 01:49 AM
What kind of password could they be asking for? How are you suppose to know what the password is anyhow? :confused:

you have to know the password to the account so the phone number that you are porting can be released from US Cellular to ATT. The password is often the secret question/answer, like "what is your pets name?"

also, just because you're on the account, doesn't mean you're authorized to do anything to the account. If a parent is the main name on the account, and they have 10 or 12 year old kids as a part of a family plan, do you think the kids can call up and order text message packages or (in your case) completely drop out of the plan? At least with verizon, other people on a family plan can be designated "authorized account access" which means that the designated people can make changes to the account without the consent of the "primary" line.

in any case, if you're talking about woodfield, i think you're in the wrong thread. this is the Peoria, IL thread, not suburb thread. perhaps you accidentally clicked on the wrong thread.

Inf4life
Jul 12, 2008, 06:45 AM
My question is how do u not know your own password on your account? Also, why didn't you just get a new number so you could get your phone? Is it really that big of a deal?

mistergadgett
Jul 12, 2008, 10:25 AM
My question is how do u not know your own password on your account? Also, why didn't you just get a new number so you could get your phone? Is it really that big of a deal?

Ah... that's a good point. I heard you can get a new number with AT&T and port your other number over later if everything is copacetic.

Inf4life
Jul 12, 2008, 10:36 AM
Ah... that's a good point. I heard you can get a new number with AT&T and port your other number over later if everything is copacetic.

I don't know anything about that. I just went onto ATT's website and checked to see if my number could be ported and it couldn't. Made sure to double check at the ATT store when I went in to get iReady. They said I couldn't do it and had to start over and was just fine with it. It's just a phone number. There is no way I was going to let that stand in the way of me getting my phone.

insanemetalhead
Jul 12, 2008, 06:13 PM
I don't know anything about that. I just went onto ATT's website and checked to see if my number could be ported and it couldn't. Made sure to double check at the ATT store when I went in to get iReady. They said I couldn't do it and had to start over and was just fine with it. It's just a phone number. There is no way I was going to let that stand in the way of me getting my phone.

I got one today. Had to get a new number no biggie. Could you do me a favor and drive around abingdon and see how well the coverage is.

Inf4life
Jul 13, 2008, 01:14 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say ******. The service is touch and go in Galesburg alone much less East Bumble****. But if I get a chance this week I can shoot out there and check on it for you.

insanemetalhead
Jul 13, 2008, 06:41 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say ******. The service is touch and go in Galesburg alone much less East Bumble****. But if I get a chance this week I can shoot out there and check on it for you.

Thanks. I appreciate it. My friend from CSC said that AT&T is working on putting up new towers in Galesburg and in Bushnell so I'd hope the coverage between the two would increase so coverage is supported in Abingdon and Hermon.

Inf4life
Jul 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
Well I hope they do put up another tower here because it's hard for me to get full service anywhere. Hell, it's hard for me to get service in certain parts of Peoria.

insanemetalhead
Jul 13, 2008, 03:21 PM
Well I hope they do put up another tower here because it's hard for me to get full service anywhere. Hell, it's hard for me to get service in certain parts of Peoria.

I rarely got service with us cellular in galesburg and abingdon. It's cause the area is in a freaking valley.

Inf4life
Jul 13, 2008, 05:35 PM
Well just about everyone here has US Cellular. Sprint did alright for me especially since they got the EV-DO network up here.

mistergadgett
Jul 13, 2008, 06:55 PM

Which parts of Peoria give you trouble?

Inf4life
Jul 13, 2008, 08:29 PM
I was in Northwoods mall with the gf and we were in Express and I had no service at all.

BrightestBear
Jul 13, 2008, 09:03 PM
I gave up on Peoria's AT&T store and drove to Chicago with my husband. We had good luck and got the two white 16 GBs we were wanting. So far, my service in the area is great, but I haven't gone all over yet to check it out.

Inf4life
Jul 13, 2008, 09:27 PM
That's why I just waited in line on launch day. So I made sure that I got one.

Inf4life
Jul 14, 2008, 05:55 PM
I got one today. Had to get a new number no biggie. Could you do me a favor and drive around abingdon and see how well the coverage is.

Well, I went out there today and checked the service. It's horrible. I couldn't even get the ATT symbol to come up. It said No Service from the time I hit the welcome to Abingdon sign all the way to the four way stop on your way to Bushnell or Roseville.

mistergadgett
Jul 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
I gave up on Peoria's AT&T store and drove to Chicago with my husband. We had good luck and got the two white 16 GBs we were wanting. So far, my service in the area is great, but I haven't gone all over yet to check it out.

How was your experience in Chicago? Did you have to wait long? Could they active the iPhone 3G in the store?

Have you noticed your reception is better or the same with the iPhone 3G?

Congrats on your purchase!

insanemetalhead
Jul 15, 2008, 04:31 AM
Well, I went out there today and checked the service. It's horrible. I couldn't even get the ATT symbol to come up. It said No Service from the time I hit the welcome to Abingdon sign all the way to the four way stop on your way to Bushnell or Roseville.

that freaking sucks. I guess I'll have to deal with it when and if I move back or visit. What sucks even worse is no 3G there.

Inf4life
Jul 15, 2008, 06:44 AM
that freaking sucks. I guess I'll have to deal with it when and if I move back or visit. What sucks even worse is no 3G there.

Yea, but EDGE wasn't too bad when I was using it yesterday. 3G here is probably wishful thinking. I'm going to say around 2009 sometime.

BrightestBear
Jul 15, 2008, 10:19 AM
How was your experience in Chicago? Did you have to wait long? Could they active the iPhone 3G in the store?

Have you noticed your reception is better or the same with the iPhone 3G?

Congrats on your purchase!

Thanks! I'm still excited about it.

I waited about five hours in line. (Not what I intended, but once you've driven 2.5 hours to get there, do you just walk away when the line is long? No you do not.) They activated it in the store and it was working by the time I got to the car. I think the reception is about the same, but then I've generally had good reception in Peoria/Morton/Pekin/East Peoria.

So has the Peoria AT&T store gotten another shipment yet??

Gazerbeam
Jul 15, 2008, 11:46 AM
So has the Peoria AT&T store gotten another shipment yet??

I called today around noon and they said no more shipments for at least another two weeks. She told me I'd be better off if I would just come into the store and order one. If I did that, they would call me when it came in ...in about two weeks..

DanielQ
Jul 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
I called today around noon and they said no more shipments for at least another two weeks. She told me I'd be better off if I would just come into the store and order one. If I did that, they would call me when it came in ...in about two weeks..

That's bogus. I ordered mine friday and if I have to wait two weeks, I'm gonna be pissed. The rep I talked to promised me 3-5 business days.

insanemetalhead
Jul 15, 2008, 09:46 PM
I think I might go ahead and take my phone back. A lot of my family is on US Cellular and I could get more minutes for the same price. talk me out of it guys LOL

BrightestBear
Jul 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
I think I might go ahead and take my phone back. A lot of my family is on US Cellular and I could get more minutes for the same price. talk me out of it guys LOL

I bet people who are still waiting for direct fulfillment or a new AT&T shipment would be happy to take that phone off your hands ...

insanemetalhead
Jul 16, 2008, 07:49 AM
I bet people who are still waiting for direct fulfillment or a new AT&T shipment would be happy to take that phone off your hands ...

That may be true. I'm gonna go to a US Cellular store today and check out some of the selection. I've been viewing on the website. The thing that is killing me is the 9PM for 5000 Mins. I rarely talk during the day but when I get home its all I do and paying 9 bucks to bump it up to 7 pm seems like robbery. Yeah I just cant justify what at&t has done to this phone. It ruined it for me.

Inf4life
Jul 16, 2008, 08:33 AM
Well if they aren't receiving another shipment for two weeks then it makes me glad that I got there at 330 am and got mine on launch day. Because if I had to wait 2 more weeks to get it I'd probably go crazy. I was already pissed when Jobs said July 11th at the keynote. I was all set for a week or so after. It was torture for sure.

I don't talk that much on my phone, mainly text so the minutes thing for me isn't a real big deal. I'm going to be paying at least 20 bucks more a month on my ATT plan than I did for my Sprint one but I don't really care. I have the phone that I want and am completely happy with it.

insanemetalhead
Jul 16, 2008, 09:12 AM
I don't talk that much on my phone, mainly text so the minutes thing for me isn't a real big deal. I'm going to be paying at least 20 bucks more a month on my ATT plan than I did for my Sprint one but I don't really care. I have the phone that I want and am completely happy with it.

I got pissed too when he said July 11th but then I saw the AT&T plans and was pissed too. I mean from what you tell me there isn't any service down there. That's bad knowing what people do in that area. iPhone is a great phone and I really like it but it's companies like AT&T who have horrible plans and barely any coverage. I thought to myself last night. Do I really need the internet everywhere I go when all I do is facebook, myspace, check email and chat on the IM clients?

Inf4life
Jul 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
I got pissed too when he said July 11th but then I saw the AT&T plans and was pissed too. I mean from what you tell me there isn't any service down there. That's bad knowing what people do in that area. iPhone is a great phone and I really like it but it's companies like AT&T who have horrible plans and barely any coverage. I thought to myself last night. Do I really need the internet everywhere I go when all I do is facebook, myspace, check email and chat on the IM clients?

I get service in my apartment and at work. The only place that I didn't get it was in the mall. I think it is just the buildings. I never go to Abingdon so I could care less about service out there. ATT is slowly building their network up. Hopefully I only have 3 more months left here then I will be gone to Texas where I will have 3G coverage. That was one of my main motivators fo switching.

insanemetalhead
Jul 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
I get service in my apartment and at work. The only place that I didn't get it was in the mall. I think it is just the buildings. I never go to Abingdon so I could care less about service out there. ATT is slowly building their network up. Hopefully I only have 3 more months left here then I will be gone to Texas where I will have 3G coverage. That was one of my main motivators fo switching.

I guess to each his own. I've almost used up all my texts. if I'm gonna do the 15 dollar text plan might as well suck it up and buy the 20 dollar unlimited. barely used any minutes of course the only person who calls me has AT&T

Inf4life
Jul 16, 2008, 10:06 AM
I guess to each his own. I've almost used up all my texts. if I'm gonna do the 15 dollar text plan might as well suck it up and buy the 20 dollar unlimited. barely used any minutes of course the only person who calls me has AT&T

Unlimited texting for me is MUST. That's my main means of communication. I'm at work most of the day and can't just be on the phone all day. So I can text while I'm working and still be somewhat productive. Pretty much all my friends and family have Sprint. I never used any minutes on there. So I guess I'll just have to be more cautious with my minutes now is all.

insanemetalhead
Jul 16, 2008, 06:15 PM
I took it back. I couldn't justify what I was paying. I told the guy at apple that they made an awesome phone but I believe a poor carrier. I lost 2 calls....never ever had that happen to me which made my final decision. I'm still an apple freak though!

mje11
Jul 27, 2008, 09:04 AM
Quick question, does any ATT CAT employee discount apply to the iPhone or iPhone plan at all?
Thanks

BrightestBear
Jul 28, 2008, 07:53 AM
Quick question, does any ATT CAT employee discount apply to the iPhone or iPhone plan at all?
Thanks

I don't know, but I bet someone at AT&T could tell you if you called them.

Gazerbeam
Aug 6, 2008, 07:49 AM
It can see the Wi-Fi, but I can't seem to connect to it.

yomeich
Oct 6, 2008, 11:01 AM
I don't know, but I bet someone at AT&T could tell you if you called them.

The answer is NO. I tried that and the corporate AT&T website indicated no corporate discount applied to any iPhone.

insanemetalhead
May 1, 2009, 03:00 PM
Anyone in Galesburg have a 3G? How does it work in the country? It would be helpful cause I might move to that area from chicago and wanted to know if it had improved. Otherwise I might skip out on the new one. Thanks!

Inf4life
Jun 15, 2009, 09:23 PM
Anyone in Galesburg have a 3G? How does it work in the country? It would be helpful cause I might move to that area from chicago and wanted to know if it had improved. Otherwise I might skip out on the new one. Thanks!

I got it. It worked alright when I lived there. I moved to Texas and ATT has 3G here all over. ATT in general blows in Galesburg. I would go into the mall and when I got to Zales it would lose all signal. Target has problems as well. Pretty much inside any building you are **** out of luck.

creeman
Jun 16, 2009, 04:39 PM

I had a 3G, just sold it to get a 3G S. It worked, for the most part, if you were not inside a building. The ATT service here is pretty poor, but I'm hoping that we will be getting 3G soon, seeing that Davenport, IA already has it and Peoria will probably be getting it soon.

Gazerbeam
Jun 17, 2009, 10:13 PM
BrightestBear, thanks for the info. Getting additional points of reference are always nice. :D

I figure AT&T's 3G rollout plan changes every quarter based on the financial results for the previous quarter. I guess I would be surprised if the store managers knew more than a month prior to their area actually getting 3G. :( Maybe Caterpillar will switch from VerizonWireless to AT&T and then the entire tri-county area would be oozing with 3G data. (a guy can always dream, right? ;) )

This no 3G in Peoria crap is getting old fast, after all we pay for 3G bandwidth, right!?!?

I mean, let's face it, EDGE is damn near pointless. What are they just going to do...bypass 3G and go straight to 4G in about 3 or 4 years? Cripes, by then Apple will have a 4G iPhone with Verizon and all of us will have already done given AT&T the slip. If it wasn't for the iPhone there's no way I would even consider AT&T in the Peoria area.

Maybe when they upgrade Chicago to 4G in about 2012, we'll get their hand me down 3G stuff here in Peoria and we will finally be able to use our iPhones like they were meant to be used.

Caterpillar canceled about 95% of their mobile phones contracts with Verizon as a cost reduction and it doesn't sound like we'll get them back anytime soon -- if ever. They told us to feel free to use our personal mobile phone....

Gazerbeam
Jun 17, 2009, 10:25 PM
After my little rant, I found this Chicago Tribune article dated March 2009, so maybe there is still some hope...

AT&T to add towers in Chicago, expand 3G network
By Wailin Wong
March 23, 2009

Wireless operator AT&T said Monday it will add more than 40 cell phone towers in Illinois this year, beefing up its third-generation network in new cities

AT&T said Champaign, Kankakee and Peoria are among the cities that will be getting 3G coverage this year. Third-generation networks enable speedy data transmission, and wireless carriers are building out this technology to meet consumer demand for data-intensive mobile services such as watching videos and browsing the Web.

AT&T said it added 55 new cell sites in Illinois last year. The company did not provide an amount for its 2009 investment in the state. AT&T is planning to spend $17 billion to $18 billion on capital expenditures across the entire company this year, a 10 to 15 percent decrease from 2008.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/mar/23/business/chi-biz-att-towers-chicago-3g-network-march23

zymogenheat
Jun 18, 2009, 12:37 PM
I just spoke with an employee at the corporate store in Peoria. He told me that the tentative date for 3G is November 11th 2009. He noted that that may or may not be met. Hope this helps!

mistergadgett
Jun 18, 2009, 07:02 PM
I just spoke with an employee at the corporate store in Peoria. He told me that the tentative date for 3G is November 11th 2009. He noted that that may or may not be met. Hope this helps!

I wonder if there will be a long line at the Peoria, IL, AT&T store at 8AM tomorrow morning for people waiting to get a (non-preorder) iPhone 3GS?

Also, I hope the AT&T store will realize that Metamora, IL (61548) *IS* in the 309 area code! :confused: The online AT&T ordering system seems to think Metamora is over in Iowa/Nebraska and didn't offer 309 as a preferred area code. :eek:

I've heard AT&T coverage has improved in the Peoria area this year especially in Mossville, IL.

-mistergadgett

lannister80
Jul 29, 2009, 10:27 AM
On a side note, I just read that T-Mobile should have 3G coverage in Peoria before the end of 3rd quarter this year (09).

Android users rejoice!

Gazerbeam
Oct 29, 2009, 03:42 AM
3G!!!! 5 bars!!!! (I used to only have 2 or 3 w/EDGE)

My 'E' is now a '3G' in Peoria!!!!

Finally!!!
:D:D

benyboy
Oct 29, 2009, 08:25 AM
I noticed on my drive to work this morning on War Memorial drive near Target that I FINALLY had a 3G network signal. Now that I'm at work (OSF Saint Francis - Glen Oak Building) I have reverted back to EDGE network status. Does anyone know if the signal isn't strong enough, or if we're in 3G testing for a full rollout to come later???

Thanks!,

Ben

benyboy
Oct 29, 2009, 09:33 AM
I actually got the 3G signal inside my building today (OSF Saint Francis - Glen Oak Building) for a few minutes, but now back to EDGE. Just an update for any that might be reading.

Ben

SERmaniac
Oct 29, 2009, 10:29 AM
I also found a "3G" signal on my 3GS this morning. I work in the Chase Bank Building downtown Peoria. I have more bars on 3G than I did on EDGE as well.

However, like others have reported my 3G signal seems to disappearing from time to time and reverting back to EDGE. I have solved this by simply switching 3G off then back on and I get the signal back, but I cannot explain why 3G is randomly disappearing.

They are probably testing or something. No matter what its exciting!

jonessodarally
Oct 29, 2009, 11:12 AM
Some related thoughts/observations:
-I've got 3 bars of 3G sitting inside the cafe at ICC. Before I had 1-2 bars of Edge at MOST.
-I had full 5 bars in my basement in Pekin late last night.
-A friend called AT&T... they are still on the official stance that there is no 3G in Peoria, which probably means its just in testing stages right now. That also explains why its been so in-and-out thus far.

Nice to see some other Peoria folks on macrumors.. Keep posting stuff on this thread so we can keep track of stuff.

BrightestBear
Oct 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
We've got 3G in Morton and East Peoria. I noticed mine in Morton at about 5 p.m., and my husband's flipped over to 3G in East Peoria at about 6:30. At last!

neohemp
Nov 3, 2009, 03:57 AM
All I have to say is AT LAAAAAAAST

After a year and a half of paying the huge fees for inet.. and quite frankly I was about to switch to Verizon .. I even had a plan picked out yesterday

What are the odds :D>

nad8e
Nov 3, 2009, 08:46 PM
At last is right!!! I just noticed 3G today! Not sure why it didn't kick in till this afternoon when I left one of the Cat bunkers with no AT&T service. Maybe it's because I just did an upgrade on my carrier settings over the weekend?

I'm SpeedTesting at 2009 kbit down and 229 down... better than most 3G!?

dtprkr
Nov 19, 2009, 11:32 AM
It is so nice having 3G. Glad to see others from the Peoria area posting on MR. If you like your iphone...try a Mac, they are the best!