PDA

View Full Version : Oakbrook, Illinois

ascham87
Jun 15, 2008, 12:05 AM
I waited out here for the original iPhone launch and it's a real nice little area, plenty of food within walking distance and a good bit of shade around too.

abgould
Jun 16, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'll be at Oak Brook as well. Did the same last year - nice place to wait.

mrtune
Jun 16, 2008, 03:53 PM
I'll be picking mine up from the oak brook apple as well. Last year I showed up opening day at 6:30 and had my phone in my hands a little after 7. The only way I camp is if it turns out to be true that we will have to activate in store. Lines would move much slower.

meagain
Jun 16, 2008, 07:57 PM
I'll be there buying 2. Will likely get there shortly before open. 45 min. max probably. Then I'll bring them home and hubby and I will open them very carefully by washing hands, slicing the plastic at the seams on the bottom, and gliding the box off itself to expose the glory within. Then checking the hacking sites for jailbreak updates. :D Ooo! Then going to iTunes to get apps. Then have the whole weekend to play. I just got a chill.

ascham87
Jun 17, 2008, 12:49 AM
Just remembered that TUAW had some rep there and posted some pics. http://www.tuaw.com/photos/oakbrook-store-iphone-release/ It should give you guys a feel for the store, especially those who are debating whether to go here or not.

meagain
Jun 17, 2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks for posting those. Never saw the pics before. I'm very close to Oak Brook Center. Beautiful place.
I have zero clue, zero ability to envision in my mind, what type of lines we'll have or IF there will BE lines this time. No clue.

gkarris
Jun 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for posting those. Never saw the pics before. I'm very close to Oak Brook Center. Beautiful place.
I have zero clue, zero ability to envision in my mind, what type of lines we'll have or IF there will BE lines this time. No clue.

They made it nicer, they went from the old "PowerBook Prismo" black to the new Apple "Aluminum"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=394207

Now, only if the MacBooks were Aluminum..... :eek:

McCarron
Jun 25, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'll probably be doing Oakbrook as well with a few friends, how long was the line at it's longest last year? Trying to figure out what our plan is.

meagain
Jul 8, 2008, 09:26 AM
Anyone happen to know what time Mall Security will allow a line to be formed? What time is everyone getting there? I was thinking I'd get there perhaps around 7a.

McCarron
Jul 8, 2008, 09:56 AM
Anyone happen to know what time Mall Security will allow a line to be formed? What time is everyone getting there? I was thinking I'd get there perhaps around 7a.

That's my #1 question as well. I read last year nothing before 5am, but that was a 6pm launch. I'm going to call them on Thursday to see what the store says.

technosexual
Jul 8, 2008, 10:48 AM

As I posted in the Chicago forum, the think that keeps me weary of going to Oakbrook was the fact that an Apple Store employee warned me that mall security has been kicking people out. (Yeah, a few employees were still at the store sitting at the genius bar.) Sure enough, on our way out, we were stopped and asked not to come back until the mall opens. We figured we'd say in the parking garage, with the lights off, but were found and chased out too.

I have no clue when the line started forming. When I was there around 3AM, last launch, there were no ropes up, or anything. I ended up going to the Orland Park AT&T store, as the Apple Store in Orland wasn't open yet.

If someone from Oakbrook knows when the line started forming last year, let us know. Otherwise, I think I am going to settle for Orland Park.

djransom
Jul 8, 2008, 12:40 PM
As I posted in the Chicago forum, the think that keeps me weary of going to Oakbrook was the fact that an Apple Store employee warned me that mall security has been kicking people out. (Yeah, a few employees were still at the store sitting at the genius bar.) Sure enough, on our way out, we were stopped and asked not to come back until the mall opens. We figured we'd say in the parking garage, with the lights off, but were found and chased out too.

I have no clue when the line started forming. When I was there around 3AM, last launch, there were no ropes up, or anything. I ended up going to the Orland Park AT&T store, as the Apple Store in Orland wasn't open yet.

If someone from Oakbrook knows when the line started forming last year, let us know. Otherwise, I think I am going to settle for Orland Park.

How was Orland Park? I'm considering going there myself.

gkarris
Jul 8, 2008, 12:54 PM
That's my #1 question as well. I read last year nothing before 5am, but that was a 6pm launch. I'm going to call them on Thursday to see what the store says.

Malls tend to open for employees at 5 am for those restaurants that serve breakfast and open at 7am.

dpfenninger
Jul 8, 2008, 03:37 PM
I live near the Oakbrook store, but was thinking of hitting the AT&T Store nearby instead (especially since I can go there in advance and get my credit check out of the way)...anyone with advice as to go with the Apple Store or the AT&T Store? My concern about going to the AT&T Store on launch day is that they won't have as much supply as the Apple Store, and I don't want to get up too early that day. :p

Farns514
Jul 8, 2008, 06:23 PM
I get done with work at 10:30 thursday night and will swing by both my AT&T Corporate store and the Oakbrook and see if there are lines.

Question is....

Do you think if i get to the Oakbrook apple store at 3a.m. that i would still have a chance at getting a iPhone?

abgould
Jul 8, 2008, 07:00 PM
I get done with work at 10:30 thursday night and will swing by both my AT&T Corporate store and the Oakbrook and see if there are lines.

Question is....

Do you think if i get to the Oakbrook apple store at 3a.m. that i would still have a chance at getting a iPhone?

I think it will be ok. I plan to get there by 3am. I got there last year at 5:30am and was at the front of the line.

Farns514
Jul 8, 2008, 10:15 PM
Nice to hear,my brother and i are debating on going to at&t or apple since we both have friday off. i read on gizmodo that they expect apple stores to have anywhere from 750 to 1000 iPhones in stock.

Niiro13
Jul 9, 2008, 04:37 AM
The Oakbrook Store is small. Too bad I don't have the funds for the iPhone 3G just yet, otherwise I'd go.

What bothers me is that they decided to place the Apple store in an open mall...which is terrible in the winter time.

McCarron
Jul 9, 2008, 09:39 AM
Anyone know if the Oakbrook store has open WiFi outside of the store like the Woodfield Store does?

Hodapp
Jul 9, 2008, 01:55 PM
Anyone know if the Oakbrook store has open WiFi outside of the store like the Woodfield Store does?

Yes it does.

McCarron
Jul 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
My friend just went over to the Apple store at Oakbrook, this is what they said:

"Official line at the apple store is that people won't be allowed to line up until 5am"

technosexual
Jul 10, 2008, 01:26 AM
What bothers me is that they decided to place the Apple store in an open mall...which is terrible in the winter time.

Good thing it's not winter!

Not to mention, it's like going to any other free-standing store. You have to get out from your car and walk to the store regardless. Park in the parking garage. All you have to do is walk from the garage to the escalator, turn right and Apple Store is literally the second set of doors.

(As for how was the Orland Park store? Orland Square Apple Store wasn't open yet. As for the AT&T in Orland Park, the line formed late in the day. I got there a few hours at launch and I was literally 7th in line.)

McCarron
Jul 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm thinking 3am arrival to see if they'll let a line start that early, what does everyone else been thinking?

Hodapp
Jul 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
My gang was planning on catching a midnight movie, getting breakfast somewhere, then heading over to Oakbrook which was going to put us there around 3:00ish. I'm not sure what to make of the 5 AM thing though. I really don't think inventory is a problem as much as I don't want to have to wait for 6 years for 300 people who don't know you have to activate it there to be explained how cellular contracts work.

McCarron
Jul 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
My gang was planning on catching a midnight movie, getting breakfast somewhere, then heading over to Oakbrook which was going to put us there around 3:00ish. I'm not sure what to make of the 5 AM thing though. I really don't think inventory is a problem as much as I don't want to have to wait for 6 years for 300 people who don't know you have to activate it there to be explained how cellular contracts work.

Midnight movie, great idea. Hellboy 2 I assume. I'd do the same if I can convince my gf to come with, but she's not getting one (getting my old one) so doesn't want to wait with us.

dpfenninger
Jul 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
I plan on getting there around 6am...how far back do you think I'll be?

swemoney
Jul 11, 2008, 02:38 AM
Just thought i'd chime in and say that I will also be using the Oak Brook Center  Store to get my iPhone 3G. I really don't think they're going to be quite as hard to get as the iPhone on launch day, so I'm thinkin' 7am.. maybe quarter to.. (in 4.5 hours) is a good time to get there.. See you all there! x=)

meagain
Jul 11, 2008, 06:03 AM
I'm with ya. It's 6a and still raining. Since they only allow folks to start lining up at 6a, and it's raining.... I'm in no hurry. I know they close at 11pm too.

I'll leisurely drink my coffee and stroll over there when I feel like it. They probably won't even let me buy one cuz they don't 'get' that I'm an authorized user and hence basically a co-account holder - but I'm going to try.

gkarris
Jul 11, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm leaving to go their now to see what's up - my friend is looking for one and it was too late to go to Oak Park's AT&T.

thunderclap
Jul 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
I'm leaving to go their now to see what's up - my friend is looking for one and it was too late to go to Oak Park's AT&T.

I called over there around 3pm and was told they had a lot of phones in stock but the line was between 250-300 people. I was also told by the Apple rep that each person was taking anywhere from 20-40 min. to activate accounts and it was slow going because of the limited number of activation stations. I'd suggest waiting.

gkarris
Jul 11, 2008, 04:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Oak Brook has a ton of them (I asked). The line is very long and slow. Every Mac in the store is doing activations.

Keyhole
Jul 11, 2008, 04:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Oak Brook has a ton of them (I asked). The line is very long and slow. Every Mac in the store is doing activations.

How long are they estimating the wait time?

gkarris
Jul 11, 2008, 04:36 PM

How long are they estimating the wait time?

I spoke to a guy outside using his new white one. He said he waited for 3 hours, but the line was much longer then. It looks like 1 - 2 hour wait right now...

EDIT: Here's some pics from launch day, 4:00 pm at the Oak Brook Store...

Hodapp
Jul 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
My night started at 12:01 AM sitting in a theater with a few friends of mine to see Hellboy 2. Much like the first Hellboy the movie had parts in it which ranged from ridiculously cool fight scenes to absolutely retarded "drama". It got out around 2:30 and we headed over to Denny's where we were greeted by a really creepy late night waiter and about a 45 minute wait for a few Grand Slam breakfasts. We ate, left, and arrived at the Oakbrook, IL Apple Store at about 3:30 AM.

We walked up to the store with our camp chairs in one hand and laptop bags in the other and were greeted by the Apple Store employees who were out smoking cigarettes who promptly told us in an extremely douche-like manner to get the hell out of here and they weren't letting anyone line up until 5 AM. We walked back to our cars, sat around for a while, met a few other people who had come to camp and eventually decided it was silly to be sitting in our chairs in the parking lot 50 feet away and we might as well just go sit up at the store, even if the "official" line wasn't until 5 AM.

It was at this point that Jim, the long haired gangly toothed jesus-tattooed tie dye wearing jerkoff poked his head out of the door of the Apple Store to tell us to go away because he was calling security. While walking back to our cars AGAIN this time we ran in to the mall security guard who was this extremely friendly old black dude who was telling us how funny he thought it was that we all were sacrificing a night's sleep to stand out in the rain for a new phone. He told us he was just patrolling the mall to keep troublemakers out and wasn't at all worried about a gang of nerds sitting around on their computers. He made some mention about remembering waiting in line for concert tickets, and overall it really amazed me that there is a mall security guard on this planet who is actually a cool guy and not a massive dickbag on a pseudo-authority high.

With the blessing of the security guard, once again we walked back to the Apple Store, where we once again set up our chairs and made a little camp circle with the few other dudes who had arrived by then. (Including a guy from http://mobileage.com/ telling us stories of WWDC.) Jim, the Apple douche bag alpha from above felt a disturbance in the force and poked his head outside again telling us to scram because we were in "violation of state laws being in a mall" when we explained that the security guard had no problem with us being there.

Eventually wee decided **** it, we'd just move out camp 50 feet down the mall out of line of sight of the store and call it a day instead of continuing dealing with an Apple employee who has let the modicum of authority he's been granted going to his head. It was about this time that Jim the Apple jerkoff, unhappy with mall security, started patrolling himself. When he found us he gave us some kind of final warning to leave the mall or he was going to call the police or some goofy ****.

Something of note here- Oakbrook Mall is an outdoor mall. It's like two strip malls set up facing each other with a little courtyard in between. It's not like we'd broken in to some indoor mall, we were just chilling in an open common area. We figured it wasn't worth it dealing with this jerkoff and said **** it and just went back to the parking lot area. It was about this time that it started to ****ing pour. We found an overhang to stand under and waited until 5:00 AM.

At around 4:50 we headed back to the store to see 20+ people already waiting in line, unharassed. It was annoying being there first for so long and be so far back in line, but what difference does 20 people make I guess. Now, as I said, it's pouring out and Oakbrook is an outdoor mall. Outside of the Apple Store is about 15 feet or better of shelter from the walkway for the upstairs stores. The chain maze for the line they had set up was in the courtyard area outside of any cover from the rain. Our friend Jim the Apple dickwad poked his head out once more to inform us that where we were standing (outside of the torrential rain) wasn't in line, we needed to be behind the chain for them to honor our position in line. People started moving in to the chain maze and we spent three hours in the rain waiting for our iPhones. I was having a good time hanging out with my friends, so overall it was a pretty great time mostly because we just spent a lot of time making fun of the fact that we were being forced to stand in the rain for pretty much no reason.

At 8:00, we were in the first grouping of people that got inside of the Apple Store. Since the store usually opens at 10:00 AM and their air conditioning was automatic and based on a timer, the 100 people in the Apple Store were quickly making it amazingly humid, hot, and uncomfortable. I didn't really care too much because I figured we'd be in and out in 15 minutes and I'd be on my way home with my new phone inside of a half hour.

Oh how wrong I was.

Confusion in the Apple Store staff as to why nothing was working quickly turned to complete panic as about 9:00 rolled around without a single person being able to activate their phones with hardly more than a few people being able to even purchase the iPhone due to a complete failure of their point of sale PDA's. The people whose transactions went through got their numbers ported off their old SIM cards and on to their new iPhones, except... without the iPhone activated your phone number isn't associated with any kind of device. People were starting to flip out when their old phone was reading "Unregistered SIM" and the dudes at the Apple Store had absolutely no clue why they couldn't activate anything.

9:00 turn to 10:00, 10:00 turned to 11:00, 11:00 turned to 12:00 and still we were the only customers in the store, they hadn't let a single person in and aside from one or two people by some random stroke of luck getting their iPhone activated no one could either buy their phone or get iTunes to recognize it. The crowd outside was getting amazingly upset, people in the store were losing their cool, and I just felt really bad for the Apple employees. It's totally uncalled for the people who were getting angry at them. Their point of sale and activation systems being ****ed had absolutely nothing to do with anyone inside the store.

Around 12:30 my transaction finally went through, deactivating my old iPhone and leaving me at the genius bar where they had all these MacBooks setup to do activations timing out on iTunes. Another 30-45 minutes later mine is finally activated which was apparently a total fluke as people who had been trying to activate since they purchased before the PoS system went down shortly after 8:00. Meanwhile, I discover my girlfriend who is with us is having some kind of issue where they're telling her that she's not eligible for an upgrade despite the fact that:

-The AT&T web site said she could upgrade online.
-A friend of ours who worked at an AT&T store double checked for us that we were both upgrade eligible a few days before all this.
-She hasn't been in contract for close to a year.
-At the start of her contract she never even bought a phone, she used an old one of mine.

The Apple person helping her was extremely helpful, calling up AT&T on her behalf to try to argue with them. Her side of the conversation went a little something like this-

"Hello? Hello? Are you still there? Please speak up, I can't understand you. OK. So she's not eligible for an upgrade, can you tell me why? No reason? If there's no reason why can't she upgrade?" This circular argument with AT&T continued for a good 15 minutes. Eventually AT&T "over-rided the upgrade block" so she could get the phone at the right price... except the point of sale system was so ****ed up that there was no way for them to refresh the eligibility status once the transaction was started... So they had to get a NEW iPhone since the one they were trying to get her on was locked in that transaction. A half hour later when the Point of Sale system lagged its way through another transaction it STILL said she couldn't upgrade.

Another call to AT&T lead them to some "solution" where she pays the full price of the phone, and AT&T mails her a check for the subsidized difference... which sounds kind of ****ed up to me. The woman helping us clarified with this with the person on the phone several times, and she gave us her business card as well as the business cards of everyone around who had been helping us in the event that AT&T doesn't hold up their side of the deal we can return it with no restocking fee.

According to AT&T it takes up to 72 hours for the ticket to be created for the refund. I'm totally expecting them on Monday to be like, "Refund? What refund?"

We finally got home at 2:00 PM, and at that point I had been awake close to 35 hours. We both passed out, and here I am posting this trip report.

I just felt so bad for the Apple Store employees, there was a complete state of panic where they had 500+ people in line, and no way to sell or activate a phone. Customers were being HUGE cocks to them, including some guy who eventually just lashed out, told everyone they could **** themselves, and left in a huge storm activating as many of the computer security devices as possible on the way out.

Overall it was just remarkable to me that there was no backup plan. Apple had NO AT&T agents at the store that could fix account problems like my girlfriend had, and literally all they could do is call the 1-800-whatever AT&T support number.

"Cluster****" doesn't even begin to describe. I can only imagine the number of people getting fired for this.

On the up side though, the 3G iPhone once purchased and activated is absolutely ****ing awesome and I don't regret waiting one bit. It was fun, in a weird way.

phatcat
Jul 12, 2008, 06:42 AM
wow. That's a heck of a story. You're an exellent writer by the way.

I wonder if there'll be a line this morning? Anyone?

mac jones
Jul 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
That's terrible. I know the Oakbrook store well. All Apple retail employees should get some sort of compensation; "stress related".

There will be most likely a public apology from Apple with a some sort of garrantee that it won't happen next time , which of course will just make it even more stressfull for everyone :rolleyes:

Really, it sounds a little like one of those Cabbage Patch doll riots.

meagain
Jul 12, 2008, 08:18 AM
io burn - I'm trying to think who Jim is. There's one with super long thick hair and a pony tail who I saw handing out water, etc. The group of employees during the morning/day were wonderful. The nighttime door guy however, is another story. Shaved head for the most part. :o

I felt staff did a great job keeping peeps informed as to progress, who can/can't activate there, handing out water, etc. while at the same time being 'nice' and just flat out enjoyable to talk to one on one. I was impressed. I didn't see customers being jerks to them but I wasn't in the front of the line.

I got there at 6:30-7:00am and was very far back. Probably 4 people walked out with a phone in 3.5 hours. :o If you were unlucky enough to be in the sun, you were dieing.

So I was in line about ? 7 hours. Couldn't buy my husband a phone. Around 6p we are both back at the store for his phone. At 9:30-ish we're told there are no more 16 blacks but by this time we were close to getting in so we looked at the white. 10:15-10:30p left with just a skin for the front.

Hence -- Oak Brook has ZERO 16 Blacks. But my 3g is oceans better in most every way to my 2g. The display is so much better, camera brightness, EVERYTHING.

Hodapp
Jul 12, 2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah, Apple douche alpha-prime, Jim changed in to a teal shirt and khaki cargo shorts when they opened. He also put his Sideshow Bob hair in to a goofy looking fat ponytail.

I'm seriously on the fence of emailing corporate about this guy, I could not believe how rude he was to people.

meagain
Jul 12, 2008, 09:10 AM
io - Were you guys hanging by the store doors peaking in or looked scarey? If not - you should totally do that.

wowok1234
Jul 12, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm standing in line with my friend right now. We arrived around 8:30 or so and we were in a line or a hundred people. Rght now the line has increased to around 200 people and the line is moving very slowly. The lady from the store warned us that they were out of the 16 gig black and would not be getting more for the weekend so a handful of people left. Otherwise the crowd is extremely friendly and weather wise not too bad.

meagain
Jul 12, 2008, 10:16 AM
wowok - thanks for telling us. If you get any inkling when the black 16 will be restocked, or if they are getting a shipment later today, please post?

Hodapp
Jul 12, 2008, 11:19 AM
io - Were you guys hanging by the store doors peaking in or looked scarey? If not - you should totally do that.

Not at all, see the group of dudes in the camp chairs here?

http://twitpic.com/3j3x

Imagine this, only about 20 feet away from the doors of the Apple Store.

VERY threatening, I know.

wowok1234
Jul 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
wowok - thanks for telling us. If you get any inkling when the black 16 will be restocked, or if they are getting a shipment later today, please post?

will do. They have not told people anything as of yet and I'm hoping the people who arrived later know that the store is out of the 16 black.

Meanwhile, we're still in line. We're number 40 in line; the line has not moved at all in the past hour. People are devising a system where they clap whenever someone from the line goes in. The applause has been few.

wiz561
Jul 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
Thank you for the update. I was just about to head up there, but think that I'm just going to wait it out a few more days. It's great to have people post in here to give others a heads up.

Thanks!

wowok1234
Jul 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
yep, I advise people to wait a few days for the line to die down. As it is right now the line is ridicuous. A group of three or four just went in so we're hoping for the best. But people are getting frustrated. There seems to be not enough employees and too many people just brosing in the store. The most infuriating thing is that there has been no communication between the staff and the line. Apple needs to reevaluate their iPhone procedures.

wiz561
Jul 12, 2008, 12:13 PM
Thank you again so much for the update. I went to the Orland Park store last night and at approximately 7:00, there was a short line that formed about four stores long. I didn't bother waiting, and glad I didn't because later on, I heard that orland sold of the 8 and 16 black ones.

I suppose one of my pet peeves is why is it that you can't order them online? Yes, I know you need to get it 'activated'. So, charge the full amount for the iPhone, then you get a 'rebate' when you active it at att. I'd think that would be the most efficient way of selling them, especially in this day and age of high gas prices and technology.

Good Luck with your purchase! You are going through a lot between the rain thismorning and the heat and humidity! I at least hope that you're able to get the one you want.

meagain
Jul 12, 2008, 12:31 PM
wowok - are you saying they are still letting in regular customers ahead of the people in line? WTH

Hope you tell them when they pass by or leave the line to go to the doors that they need to tell the entire line if they are out of something.

Hodapp
Jul 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
wowok - are you saying they are still letting in regular customers ahead of the people in line? WTH

Hope you tell them when they pass by or leave the line to go to the doors that they need to tell the entire line if they are out of something.

Why wouldn't you let in regular customers? When we were in the store yesterday standing around with our dicks in our hands someone came in and bought an iMac. With how much WAITING the entire iPhone purchase/activation process has once you get inside the store I promise you someone coming in to buy an iPod or a copy of Reading Rabbit will have absolutely no impact on your wait.

gkarris
Jul 12, 2008, 02:04 PM

Yes, my excuse was to get a cable for my MacBook.

There is actually a line for other products! (right outside to the left of the door). You have to wait for an associate, tell him what you want, you walk in with him/her to get it, then they put you in a separate line for checking out customers not buying an iPhone.

It's seems pretty fair to me, why make someone wait if they are there for something else?

meagain
Jul 12, 2008, 05:35 PM
I actually DO have a problem with it. Unless the non-iPhone customers were handled by someone not capable of doing phones. People were out there 8+ hours yesterday and many in the heat. Some looked like they were going to keel over. It was miserably hot/muggy in the sun. Yes, I have a problem with anything slowing the process for those poor people (me included) as it was a crisis situation. They should've been told to come back the next day, Sunday, or Monday. An Apple employee had to monitor, assist, and check out those people with their little handhelds - and that's one more person in line that could've gotten out of 6-9 hours of hell. Triage.

thunderclap
Jul 12, 2008, 05:59 PM
I actually DO have a problem with it. Unless the non-iPhone customers were handled by someone not capable of doing phones. People were out there 8+ hours yesterday and many in the heat. Some looked like they were going to keel over. It was miserably hot/muggy in the sun. Yes, I have a problem with anything slowing the process for those poor people (me included) as it was a crisis situation. They should've been told to come back the next day, Sunday, or Monday. An Apple employee had to monitor, assist, and check out those people with their little handhelds - and that's one more person in line that could've gotten out of 6-9 hours of hell.

You're the one who chose to stand in line for a phone. I hardly consider that a "crisis situation".

Hodapp
Jul 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
Yes, I have a problem with anything slowing the process for those poor people (me included) as it was a crisis situation. They should've been told to come back the next day, Sunday, or Monday. An Apple employee had to monitor, assist, and check out those people with their little handhelds - and that's one more person in line that could've gotten out of 6-9 hours of hell. Triage.

I don't think you understand. Buying an iPhone involves their silly little PDA's, and at least 10 minutes of waiting between waiting for the AT&T junk to go through and waiting for the phone to get activated. Buying a computer, accessory, iPod, or anything else is just a matter of grabbing what you want, then walking to the back and paying.

They're rung up on a completely separate system with absolutely no lag. As far as your "crisis situation" waiting in line on a hot day. Give me a break, no one is forcing you to stand in line for a phone. It's not like you're in some great depression bread line after not eating for two weeks. It's just a phone. There's nothing stopping you from waiting a week and walking in to an Apple Store and buying one with no wait.

:rolleyes:

meagain
Jul 12, 2008, 07:00 PM
I never complained about my choice to stand in line. Actually you're the one who's written the manifesto of complaints. Yes the Apple store did indeed allow and spend much time with people with no urgent need to be there. I was watching closely. Most stores turned away people in consideration to those waiting all day in line. Yes the people did take resources & time. It's a fact.

io burn it's funny since I wasn't even complaining about me choosing to be in line yet it's OK for you to write your lengthy name-calling diatribe of Store employees (even naming them) who had issues with you lurking outside the store before dawn? Sorry, I didn't know you had the license on store criticism.

And quid pro quo - there was nothing stopping YOU from leaving and coming back a week later with no wait vs. reaming the store about YOUR wait experience.

Hodapp
Jul 12, 2008, 07:31 PM
There's a world of difference between making fun of morons with inflated senses of authority making up fake "laws" and threatening to call the cops and the awesome time I had hanging out with my friends and you crying over having to stand in the sun because of someone buying an iPod cable.

Again, the iPhone purchasing process goes like this (and this is assuming STANDARD wait times, not current totally lagged to hell wait times across Apple's entire sale and activation systems):

-Apple employee asks customer what iPhone they want.
-Customer responds, Apple employee grabs phone.
-Customer opens box, Apple employee enters in all customer data and starts the port process.

(5-10 minutes of waiting here.)

-Apple employee directs customer to genius bar, and helps them get their phone activated.

(Another few minutes of wait here.)

On the other hand, buying an iPod car charger goes like this:

-Customer walks to accessory wall, grabs charger.
-Customer walks to counter.
-Apple employee scans product, swipes credit card.

Done.

What reason do you have as to why it's completely inappropriate and unfair that an Apple employee spends 30 seconds doing this during the 5-10 minutes they're waiting for their customer's iPhone to become active?

wiz561
Jul 12, 2008, 08:55 PM
io_burn, I have to agree with you. Yes, I can understand that while there are a number of people waiting in line for iPhones, it would only make sense in allowing other people to purchase accessories and computers/parts.

Now on the other hand, if I walked in and saw 5 people helping customers choose between a purple and a black ipod case, while only one employee checking out iPhones, I think I would be a little peeved. But I have a feeling that the apple employees were concentrating on the iPhone line instead of standing around talking to customers about nothing.

Hodapp
Jul 12, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah exactly. What I saw at the Apple Store went a little something like "Oh, you want an iPod charger? OK hurry up, they're over here."

Clyde099
Jul 12, 2008, 10:14 PM
Any one lining up tomorrow?
I'll be down there at 1PM and I hope to score a black 8GB.
Hopefully line runs smoothly?

MacMan33
Jul 12, 2008, 10:20 PM
the mall is not allowing any line to form. They are all sold out of 8gig and only have 16gig white. My old man is a manager their. They are getting another shippment on Tuesday. For now its white 16 or nothing. good luck:apple:

BrightestBear
Jul 12, 2008, 10:27 PM
About how many white 16 GBs do they have? And are they opening at 11 a.m. tomorrow?:D

Clyde099
Jul 12, 2008, 10:31 PM
the mall is not allowing any line to form. They are all sold out of 8gig and only have 16gig white. My old man is a manager their. They are getting another shippment on Tuesday. For now its white 16 or nothing. good luck:apple:

Something's really wrong with the availability page then. Thanks

thunderclap
Jul 13, 2008, 11:20 AM

I just called over to the store and they have all models in stock and I was also told to expect to wait 2-3 hours as there were around 250 in line as of 11:10 a.m.

meagain
Jul 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
You're kidding. Wow. They must've gotten a shipment in then - yesterday?
This is differing news than Tuesday.. Sorry to hear there's a line. We were going to get over there today.

EDIT: I was on the phone when reading your post and they confirmed saying 200-400 people in line and all stock is in and they should have enough to cover the crowd.

I so wish I could buy my husband's phone for him but he's the acct. holder. It's a problem. He just doesn't have the time to do this.

meagain
Jul 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
12:22pm - Oak Brook on the phone says no Black 16's left.

gkarris
Jul 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
My friend's planning to go later this evening - any word on the lines for today?

Have things died town finally?

meagain
Jul 14, 2008, 03:34 PM
I was just there to decide on black/white once and for all - Black by FAR!
They are 100% out of everything and their guy in charge of stocking/shipping claims no more shipments today. I was told to check the online thingy.

meagain
Jul 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
Oak brook has stock but no 16 Blacks. (pounding head on desk). 2 hour wait.

Had a long talk with someone there about the opening the box piece of the process and he said he was going to speak to the mgr, etc. about telling the customers they can finish the activation at home or do it in the store. Apparently they don't inform the customers they have a choice. And they DO. He said word from up high wants the customer experience to be as good as possible. I said "yea, but 4 hours in a line in the sun in 88 degree humid weather isn't exactly good customer experience generating either" and I said really, the customers need to be given this option up front so the KNOW they have the option.

I'm befuddled. I'm upset I didn't get a phone again today. Though IDK if they even GOT the 16 blacks in to sell. Probably did. :( I can't go tomorrow morning as I have a vet appt way up north.

meagain
Jul 16, 2008, 11:38 AM
in line. 15th. They got all stock. Phone said small ants. Whatever that means.