PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh/Durham, NC

AboveTheChaos
Jun 15, 2008, 01:10 AM
Anyone planning to go in Raleigh/Durham? I'm not sure if there will be a big line or not. Also, which would be better Southpoint Mall or Crabtree? Last time, me and my friend hit Crabtree and it does have the benefit of being inside the mall in case there's bad weather.

earnjam
Jun 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
Anyone planning to go in Raleigh/Durham? I'm not sure if there will be a big line or not. Also, which would be better Southpoint Mall or Crabtree? Last time, me and my friend hit Crabtree and it does have the benefit of being inside the mall in case there's bad weather.

I went to crabtree last time. There was a pretty good line, but they had it moving pretty fast.

I haven't decided when I'll get one yet, so I'm not sure.

kcolbe
Jun 18, 2008, 07:39 AM
I was thinking about going to Crabtree although I've never been there for an Apple launch. What time do folks usually start getting there. Where do they usually meet?

yellow
Jun 18, 2008, 07:41 AM
Can't do it. Standing out in the hot waiting for an iPhone just seems too wrong.

rablat
Jun 18, 2008, 07:59 AM
Can't do it. Standing out in the hot waiting for an iPhone just seems too wrong.

Yeah thats why I am torn between crabtree and southpoint.
I like the southpoint store better, but crabtree would be inside. So
I am still undecided.

AboveTheChaos
Jun 18, 2008, 11:02 AM

Yeah, air conditioning is always appreciated. I think I am hitting Crabtree. I wonder if they'll be handing out water and smoothies like last time.

yellow
Jun 18, 2008, 11:12 AM
The other part.. I'm still under the iron fist of my Verizon Overlord for another 1.5 years. :)

AboveTheChaos
Jun 18, 2008, 11:46 AM
I was thinking about going to Crabtree although I've never been there for an Apple launch. What time do folks usually start getting there. Where do they usually meet?

See, I'm not sure just how big a line there will be this time. With the first one and with Leopard's release there were folks lined up hours before. Last time, they closed the store and reopened at 6:00. Me and my buddy got there at 5:30 and there were about 120 people in front but it wasn't bad. They had us line up against the inside rail and wrapped us around.

The other part.. I'm still under the iron fist of my Verizon Overlord for another 1.5 years. :)

LOL...I was lucky in that my contract was up right at the time of the first one so it was easy for me to switch.

NC MacGuy
Jun 18, 2008, 11:53 AM

Ditto here...

Not sure if it matters for iPhone but in my experiences Southpoint seems to get stock sooner and in higher volumes than Crabtree.

kcolbe
Jun 19, 2008, 07:58 AM

Yeah I'm still with Sprint but I'm paying my early termination fee...I'm so fed up with them...

kcolbe
Jun 19, 2008, 08:01 AM
See, I'm not sure just how big a line there will be this time. With the first one and with Leopard's release there were folks lined up hours before. Last time, they closed the store and reopened at 6:00. Me and my buddy got there at 5:30 and there were about 120 people in front but it wasn't bad. They had us line up against the inside rail and wrapped us around.

Your buddy got there at 5:30 AM and there were 120 people in front of him? Yeah, I might just wait, that's ridiculous.

earnjam
Jun 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
Your buddy got there at 5:30 AM and there were 120 people in front of him? Yeah, I might just wait, that's ridiculous.

I got there right at 6. Not sure how many people were in front of me, but the line was pretty long and I was in and out in 45 minutes.

The red represents the line.

themiracle
Jun 23, 2008, 08:39 AM
I'll probably be at Crabtree. I like Southpoint and all, but the fact that it's outdoors means that people might be able to actually camp out. Hopefully the activation nonsense won't clog up the process too much. :-/

kuribohbabylon
Jun 24, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'll more than likely be at Southpoint again. Had a blast hanging with the group from last time and hopefully they'll actually launch a little earlier this time than 6PM.

elbirth
Jun 27, 2008, 05:48 PM

pretty sure he meant PM, not AM. Leopard was a 6pm release. Fortunately I had ordered it online and got my copy via UPS around 10am that day, so I installed it during lunch and was rocking it a few hours before the poor souls that waited in line at the store ;)

I wish we knew if it was a morning or evening launch though. Due to the in-store activation I'm thinking it'll be morning, but who knows... plus the decision of whether to go to an Apple store or an AT&T store. AT&T is much closer to me, but part of the experience of going to pick up the iPhone 3G would be doing it at an Apple store with that whole atmosphere... I guess the AT&T stores can be kept in mind as a backup on the off chance that they run out of phones by the time I make my way through the line.

yellow
Jun 27, 2008, 06:05 PM
pretty sure he meant PM, not AM. Leopard was a 6pm release. Fortunately I had ordered it online and got my copy via UPS around 10am that day, so I installed it during lunch and was rocking it a few hours before the poor souls that waited in line at the store ;)

I hung out in Barnes & Noble until the line shortened enough to be just to the corner, hopped in line, got an undersized T-Shirt, and bought Leopard by maybe 7PM?

elbirth
Jun 28, 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm hoping the iPhone 3G launch will be just as easy, if not easier, to get through. I don't think the lines will be as big this time, but who knows... either way, I don't work on Fridays anyway, so the amount of time it takes me to get through the line doesn't bother me too much... I just don't want them to sell out of the model I want before I'm able to purchase it.

I saw in another thread where someone had talked to an O2 manager overseas and the person told them they'd have 5,000 units, just like on the original iPhone launch. If by some chance all Apple stores in the US have anywhere even remotely close to that number, I don't think it'll be much problem. I would think it'd pretty much guaranteed that we won't even have 500 people in line for the iPhone 3G on launch day, let alone 5,000.

AboveTheChaos
Jun 29, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm hoping the iPhone 3G launch will be just as easy, if not easier, to get through. I don't think the lines will be as big this time, but who knows... either way, I don't work on Fridays anyway, so the amount of time it takes me to get through the line doesn't bother me too much... I just don't want them to sell out of the model I want before I'm able to purchase it.

I saw in another thread where someone had talked to an O2 manager overseas and the person told them they'd have 5,000 units, just like on the original iPhone launch. If by some chance all Apple stores in the US have anywhere even remotely close to that number, I don't think it'll be much problem. I would think it'd pretty much guaranteed that we won't even have 500 people in line for the iPhone 3G on launch day, let alone 5,000.

I'm thinking they won't sell out so we'll all be good. I just expect there to be long wait times, especially with activation in the store. I figure they'll be a lot of folks complaining and arguing if they're not eligible for the subsidized price. Hopefully, though, it won't be a mess!

AboveTheChaos
Jun 29, 2008, 08:04 PM
I hung out in Barnes & Noble until the line shortened enough to be just to the corner, hopped in line, got an undersized T-Shirt, and bought Leopard by maybe 7PM?

LOL, that sounds like me. I got a shirt, but of course they didn't have my size, so I had to convince myself I could fit into a Medium :D

elbirth
Jul 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
is anyone planning on stopping by one of the Apple stores this week to try and do the pre credit check? If so, please report back here. I don't see why they wouldn't do the check, but all I keep hearing is about going to an AT&T store (rather than Apple) to do this.

I plan on trying to go later this week to do it myself and will report back if no one else has. I also plan to ask about if they're selling them at 8am also (don't see why they wouldn't) and if any discounts apply to the plan for the iPhone 3G now that it's being subsidized... 15% student discount on the service plan would be sweet.

ijohnw
Jul 4, 2008, 08:02 AM
Is anyone going to be camping at the stores? Or do you think just getting there early in the morning will be good enough?

elbirth
Jul 5, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty sure just getting there early will be fine. I'm still debating whether to go to the Apple store or an AT&T store... I wish Apple would announce already if they're opening up early as well....

ijohnw
Jul 7, 2008, 06:02 PM
so now we know apple is opening up at 8 am too..is anyone going to be spending the night? and at which apple store? im still kinda up in the air about what to do..stay the night or get there early in the morning....thoughts?

elbirth
Jul 7, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'll just be getting there an hour or 2 before the store opens I think... I don't work Friday so I'm not pressed for time to get out of there, but I do want to make sure I get a phone there instead of waiting in line only to find out that the model I want gets sold out and I have to go elsewhere. I don't think we'll have too much to worry about them selling out first thing in the morning, but who knows....

Naomi
Jul 7, 2008, 11:03 PM
From what I'm reading, there is really no NEED to camp out the night before... I don't need to be first in line for the thing....I'd just like to have it by the end of the day... Think I'd be okay getting to Crabtree around 6am?

earnjam
Jul 8, 2008, 03:04 PM
Think I'd be okay getting to Crabtree around 6am?

I think that will be more than early enough.

AboveTheChaos
Jul 8, 2008, 06:33 PM
From what I'm reading, there is really no NEED to camp out the night before... I don't need to be first in line for the thing....I'd just like to have it by the end of the day... Think I'd be okay getting to Crabtree around 6am?

Yeah, I think you'll be fine. Earlier I was debating about going to the Apple store or AT&T store but I think I'll just hit the Apple store. I think they'll have
a lot more in stock than AT&T which ran out last year. So now it's just a matter of when. I highly doubt they'll run out at the Apple store. Part of me is thinking to just wait until 9:00ish because by then the first wave will have died down and a lot of folks will hopefully be going to work.

Naomi
Jul 8, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I think you'll be fine. Earlier I was debating about going to the Apple store or AT&T store but I think I'll just hit the Apple store. I think they'll have
a lot more in stock than AT&T which ran out last year. So now it's just a matter of when. I highly doubt they'll run out at the Apple store. Part of me is thinking to just wait until 9:00ish because by then the first wave will have died down and a lot of folks will hopefully be going to work.

In my heart of hearts, I know you are right...But I refused to buy a non 3g capable iPhone, and a year later, if I didn't get one launch day, I'd likely cry... So, 6am it is...Thankfully, there is a starbucks around the corner. See y'all there...

Half Glass
Jul 8, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'll be at Southpoint with mi amigo who is also picking one up.

We're planning on scoping it out around 7. If I don't get one Friday, I can live, but we're not camping out.

-HG

Starhawk
Jul 9, 2008, 07:40 PM
Im planning on going to the Southpoint Apple Store. Thinking I'll probably get there around 7-7:30am.

kuribohbabylon
Jul 10, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, after last year I doubt we'll have stock problems. And them opening at 8am is nice. I'm still taking tomorrow off tho :) I'll be at Southpoint tomorrow morning.

earnjam
Jul 11, 2008, 09:42 AM
I might swing by the Apple store after work to play with the demo models.

Anyone comment on how lines were this morning?

Glax69
Jul 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
I wanted a 16gb white but they didn't have any stock---if anyone in the area wanted a black but had to get white let me know, maybe we can swap!

gordonp@email.unc.edu

elbirth
Jul 11, 2008, 03:06 PM
man there were a lot more people than I anticipated. I got there around 6:30 and the line was already down the whole side of the building, probably a good 50-60 people already there. by store opening, there had to be 250-300 people or more.

For anyone curious, the line was painfully slow this morning due to iTunes issues and not being able to activate. Like I said, I was probably somewhere around 50-60th and didnt make it into the store until about 10:15. Tried to activate but gave up after 15-20 minutes and left at 11. Lingered around SouthPoint a bit and left at 12 or so and the line was still all along the side and wrapped around back. I feel sorry for the people that showed up "late". If they'll just sell you the phone, sign the contract and activate at home, the line won't be bad

Naomi
Jul 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
The line was painfully slow. I got there at 9:30 and wasn't done till almost 4. BUT, I got the white one I had wanted :)

AboveTheChaos
Jul 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
Well, me and my buddy hit the AT&T store first at about 6:30 because we wanted to make sure we didn't have any problems. Unfortunately, about 7:00 the manager comes out and says they only had about 30 and that the other store only had about 30 also. Since we were about 40 in line we decided to hit Crabtree. The line wasn't too bad. Then the guy says if you have any kind of discount attached to your account they couldn't sell you a phone. I had a corporate disc and my buddy had a student disc. So we called AT&T and had them remove it. It was crazy and confusing. The AT&T girl told my buddy that it would take 3-4 days to come off the account, but the girl I had said it was instantly. Anyway we logged into the website and it didn't show up so we figured it was instant. (It was). We both were able to get what we wanted (white 16!) but it took FOREVER to activate.

w00tini
Jul 11, 2008, 09:42 PM
i stopped by Crabtree around 1pm and the line stretched almost the entire mall (I couldn't see the end so it may have!). i knew there was no way there were that many phones in there that late in the day.

so i went home and got acquainted with 2.0 on my Gen1 iPhone.

I'll catch a 3G in a few days once it has died down a bit.

elbirth
Jul 11, 2008, 11:15 PM
looks like the stock held up pretty well. crabtree sold out of black 16GB iphones, but has the others and southpoint still has all 3
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html

and something hilarious for those that didn't hear. the first guy in line at southpoint got there at 10pm the night before. he strolled inside only to discover his stupidity in not reading up on it beforehand. he was getting it on a business plan so he had to go to AT&T to get a phone, where he no doubt ended up at the back of the line.
I imagine he probably could have called and had the discount or whatever removed like the poster above did, but I dunno. I find it hilarious when people get in line for something like this and don't have the common sense to read up on it beforehand.

AboveTheChaos
Jul 12, 2008, 12:48 AM
Speaking of my discount and getting it removed, I asked the girl on the line if there were offering any kind of discount on the new iPhone (except for the device) and she said at this time they weren't sure. She said to just remove it and in a couple of days just either call or go online and add it back on. If they do offer a discount, it'll automatically get applied.

The first guy in line at Crabtree was having some kind of problem activating too. I'm not sure what but I left about 12:00pm and he was still there trying to work it out.

elbirth
Jul 12, 2008, 03:50 PM
go here and enter your email address (business or school address). you'll get an email with a link to go request the discount back. I did this yesterday even before my phone activated and within 10-20 minutes tops it was already applied with no hassle and never having to speak to anyone.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

AboveTheChaos
Jul 14, 2008, 10:55 AM
go here and enter your email address (business or school address). you'll get an email with a link to go request the discount back. I did this yesterday even before my phone activated and within 10-20 minutes tops it was already applied with no hassle and never having to speak to anyone.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

Worked perfectly! Thanks cuz I really didn't want to have to wait on hold and deal with a rep.

macshton
Jul 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
Speaking of my discount and getting it removed, I asked the girl on the line if there were offering any kind of discount on the new iPhone (except for the device) and she said at this time they weren't sure. She said to just remove it and in a couple of days just either call or go online and add it back on. If they do offer a discount, it'll automatically get applied.

The first guy in line at Crabtree was having some kind of problem activating too. I'm not sure what but I left about 12:00pm and he was still there trying to work it out.

I was the first guy in line at Crabtree and I didn't get to walk out of the store until almost 4 PM!!!

I had a ton of problems:

1) Student Discount-I was told I needed to remove it but that I had to go to AT&T store to remove it.. after calling about 43759475 reps, I got it removed around 10:30 AM...

2) Server Issues-Once I had the discount removed I went through the process again and somehow got my phone activated but it crashed before I got to pay for it..

3) Limbo Land-Now that my new iPhone had been activated (even though it was still shrink-wrapped and unpaid for) my old iPhone got deactivated and I was stuck in limbo without a phone waiting for the servers to come back online...

4)Trying to Buy-Once the servers finally got up I tried to buy the phone again... this is where I his my most frustrating snag: AT&T and their lack of knowledge and willingness to help.... Since my new iPhone had been partially activated, it looked to AT&T as if I was trying to by another iPhone and it kicked me back saying I was ineligible for an upgrade because I had already started a new contract on July 11th.. Sure I could buy the phone, but I would have to pay $499 for it for NO REASON!

5) AT&T and their stupid restrictions-I called and called and called AT&T and tried to get somebody to help me.. even the apple store manager called around for help... I was told that I could go to and AT&T store to work it out (problem is, the phone on the counter in the apple store is MINE and there was no way I was leaving the Apple Store without a working phone only to wait in line with 200 other people at an AT&T store).... I was later told that my account eligibility could be reset but that it would take 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS for it to go through (what was I supposed to without a phone for almost a weekend (because the weekend is not considered in business days))..... NOBODY AT AT&T HELPED ME!!! NOBODY SEEMED TO CARE THAT I WAS STUCK WITHOT A PHONE!!! NOBODY COULD GIVE ME "HUMAN ADVICE" AND INSTEAD ONLY REFERRED TO THEIR SCRIPT OF "GO TO AN AT&T STORE"!!! THE AT&T REPS ON THE PHONE HAVE MUCH MORE KNOWLEDGE AND RESOURCES THAN AN AVERAGE STORE REP AND COULD HAVE EASILY HELPED ME!! I GOT HUNG UP ON TWICE!!

6) Apple and the perks of being first in line-After exhausting nearly every action and idea, a very nice Apple Store employee named Tyler was able to come up with a solution. After getting it approved by the manager, Beth, he was able to give me an Apple Gift Card for the $200 price difference in the subsidy and ring me up for $299. I was told that this was a one time thing and it was only because I was first in line and that I had waited in the store for 8 hours.

So that's how I got my iPhone.. it was a really horrible experience...

I do have to commend Apple and their staff though... all of them were extremely nice, caring, and helpful.. it wasn't their fault that AT&T was being difficult..

twist2b
Jul 15, 2008, 12:55 PM
I decided to get it for free..... I am waiting for people to green and then I can get it. (Yea I used v-bux which is one of the few REAL sites.... )
Anyways I ended up with $-2 YEA!!! I MADE 2 dollars AND got an iPhone

Well I am still waiting for people to green because some offers take 2 weeks but I am excited. By the end of this week I should be good to get it shipped!
Yea I was actually taught the strategy on how to get it for free, and it was worth it :O .
Good luck for you guys. I would buy it but I cant get a new plan I am sharing with my family and its to complicated.. (the only reason I went to the road with the sign "free" on it)

w00tini
Jul 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
anyone check Crabtree or Durham lately? They have inventory yet? And are the silly lines done with? I'm out of town on biz and was hoping to catch a 3G this weekend when the wife and I head to Cheescake Factory for our 5th wedding anniversary.

Come to think of it, I have to wait in line when I go to Cheesecake too. Hmm....

relevant
Jul 15, 2008, 10:59 PM
Just keep checking this page each night after 9:00PM for the next day's inventory for NC apple stores...

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html?state=NC

w00tini
Jul 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
fyi...

Raleigh (Crabtree) had 8Gb and 16Gb whites in stock today. They ran out of 16Gb black earlier today, but did have them for a bit. Took an hour to get in and out with a phone (30 minutes was just waiting for an available apple person to activate for me).

good luck everyone

VTHOKIE10
Jul 20, 2008, 08:52 AM
I am currently camping out at the Durham store right now (since 5am!!) I got the first ticket, and they only got 5 random ones from some kind of random shipment, and at about 8ish all tickets were handed out.

mmccaskill
Aug 19, 2008, 10:40 PM
Since all you are in the Raleigh/Durham area, do those that have a 3G iPhone and previously had a 2G notice a speed improvement? Is it worth upgrading?

AHDuke99
Aug 20, 2008, 09:25 PM
I am in Chapel Hill, and the 3G coverage is pretty good, much better than Charleston is back at home. I have 4-5 bars in most areas of the town.

elbirth
Aug 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
I regularly get 3-5 bars for 3G in the North Raleigh area, usually 5. the speed difference over Edge is incredible and definitely worth the upgrade, but the battery life suffers horribly

mmccaskill
Aug 22, 2008, 11:02 AM
With all the dropped call & lack of real 3G speed allegations globally, I'm hesitant to buy one just yet.

Take my current iPhone experience. The first's bottom 1/4 touch died after 6 days. Swapped out for a new one. Second's bottom 1/4 touch died after 3 weeks. Sent it for "repair". Ended up with a new one sent to me. So I'm still on the third phone, although the signal gives out sometimes. I have to put it in Airport mode for a few seconds to fix it.

elbirth
Aug 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
I've had zero issues with the hardware on my iPhone 3G that I got on launch day. There have been a few software hiccups, but has mostly been fixed in the firmware updates. (the biggest one was apps crashing a lot, but that's been close to non-existent after 2.0.1)

My phone is in my pocket all day every day and is constantly being brought out to check email, answer a phone/text, browse the web, play games, or listen to music. It's gone through this for nearly a month and a half and I've had no dropped calls and no real issues... just fwiw

rkeefer
Jun 18, 2009, 06:14 PM
I too like the Southpoint store a lot better (used to work there..), but Crabtree is more convenient to my office. I'm thinking of getting there at 6. Where do you park and enter the mall, since the mall will not be open that early?

santybm
Jun 19, 2009, 03:19 AM
The mall will open at 4am and apple opens doors at 6am

I too like the Southpoint store a lot better (used to work there..), but Crabtree is more convenient to my office. I'm thinking of getting there at 6. Where do you park and enter the mall, since the mall will not be open that early?

w00tini
Jun 19, 2009, 08:24 AM
so can anyone comment on the lines at either crabtree or durham?

mmccaskill
Jun 19, 2009, 12:17 PM
I just went by the Apple store @ Southpoint. Line wasn't nearly as long as the original launch. Can't say in compared in 3G launch.

elbirth
Jun 19, 2009, 03:18 PM
Moot point now probably, but I saw on Twitter that the line at Crabtree wasn't too long at all this morning. Just beyond the Martin + Osa store

As for the 3G launch, last year when I got to Southpoint at about 6am, the line went from the front door, around the side and just started to wrap around back. I was right there on the back corner. By the time the store opened, and even by the time I got in and out around 11 or so, the line had been made to curve the other way towards Barnes & Noble and was about halfway up that wall

mmccaskill
Jun 24, 2009, 01:43 PM
Since yesterday afternoon, Soutpoint store is out of all 3G S models except the white 32GB. I only want the 16GB black. Of course, no one wants to go to an AT&T store.

kovalchuk71
Jun 7, 2010, 07:46 PM
Starting this thread back up. Where are you guys from Cary/Raleigh going? I will be at the Walnut street ATT store, as usual

ny2nctova
Jun 7, 2010, 09:02 PM
i'll be at southpoint

rileyrd
Jun 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
planning on pre-order.. hope to allow pickup at Crabtree like iPad.

rileyrd
Jun 15, 2010, 07:37 AM
Got a reservation earlier this morning around 5am edt before store went down. any others planning on being at Crabtree at 7:00am?

kovalchuk71
Jun 15, 2010, 12:50 PM
Got a reservation earlier this morning around 5am edt before store went down. any others planning on being at Crabtree at 7:00am?

Didnt work for me...Looks like ill be at either Southpoint or ATT in Raleigh at 10PM the night before.....

escape1974
Jun 15, 2010, 02:26 PM
I got a reservation at Crabtree as well, but I'm not sure I'll keep it. I may still hold out for the white phone, depending on the news in the next few days.

kintoro
Jun 16, 2010, 09:42 AM
Missed out on the order for home shipping and for pickup reservation. I am planning to head to Southpoint but am curious how early I should plan to be at the store? I was thinking around 4:30AM. Anyone have experience at other Apple launches at Southpoint to say if that is sufficient?

bnwahs
Jun 16, 2010, 10:21 AM
I also want to know when is a good time to show up, since I didn't get to reserve one. (not specific to SP/Crab - I live in cary)

This is my first time camping for one, and I'd like to not be too late for work. :-)

absolut`
Jun 16, 2010, 05:59 PM
I made a reservation yesterday which went through. I received a confirmation email about an hour later after the reservation was made. Called the store today, they said they do not have me in their system. WTF. After work, I went to the store to talk to someone, still not in the system.

So I asked "What happens if I'm in the reserve line, get in, and turns out I'm not in the system?". The guy said as long as I have my printed confirmation email, worse case scenario, they'd probably give me one from the "walk-in supply."

So anyways, I plan to get to Southpoint around 5 AM, with a book. I was just wondering when anyone else was planning on going?

rwilliams
Jun 17, 2010, 11:24 AM
I have reservations at the Crabtree store. I live closer to Southpoint, but with the Apple store being outside, there's a much greater chance of people camping out and absurd lines. At least with Crabtree, I know that mall security is not going to let people camp out inside the mall, so as long as I get there by 6:30 or so, I should be able to get in the store rather quickly.

drockepps
Jun 19, 2010, 07:38 AM
anyone else heading to the ATT on walnut st in cary? kinda curious if they are even getting any extra to sell to walk-ins. i didnt get to pre-order mine. lol, i get my checks like most people do on fridays.

mahalobagel
Jun 19, 2010, 09:32 AM
Despite the Pre-order of more than 600,000 iPhone 4's I still expect people to have learned their lesson (generally). So the lines should be 'nothing' like July 11, 2008 (3G sales day).

Then (2008) Crabtree was wicked busy so the smart people waited in line at AT&T stores - with canopies and much shorter lines. However, people wised up by 2009, but that was also the year that Apple introduced ordering the iPhone online.

If you weren't fortunate enough to order the phone online to get shipped to your house, then I'd say Crabtree (indoors vs outdoors) is your better bet. Best Buy, Radio Shack or Walmart are probably a little better since few people know you can get it there ... but whatever ...

I read that AT&T is 'NOT' activating phones at the stores June 24, not sure if that goes for Apple as well.

Believingly, Apple's iTunes servers will actually, maybe, possibly be ready for the 4.2 million iPhone activations that will start to occur June 24. Probably not though ... ugh.

mysticbluebmw
Jun 19, 2010, 03:14 PM
Southpoint was actually pretty good last year. I got in line at about 530am-6am before they split it into 2 lines. I did have a reservation, but at that time the line wasn't too horribly wrong. In any case I was in and out in about 30 minutes after store opening.

The 3G launch was horrible though. I got there about 7am and didn't get out until some time between 2pm-3pm. That's when the servers kept going down during in-store activations.

Sure this year will be the busiest possibly, but so many people have pre-orders (like myself this year - mine shows 'prepared for shipment'), and Southpoint seems to always get TONS of stock, I would see no need to spend the night. I think if my phone arrives early enough, I might head on down and check out the fun. I had a lot of fun last year, even though all we got was water and drumsticks.

AHDuke99
Jun 19, 2010, 03:20 PM
Despite the Pre-order of more than 600,000 iPhone 4's I still expect people to have learned their lesson (generally). So the lines should be 'nothing' like July 11, 2008 (3G sales day).

Then (2008) Crabtree was wicked busy so the smart people waited in line at AT&T stores - with canopies and much shorter lines. However, people wised up by 2009, but that was also the year that Apple introduced ordering the iPhone online.

If you weren't fortunate enough to order the phone online to get shipped to your house, then I'd say Crabtree (indoors vs outdoors) is your better bet. Best Buy, Radio Shack or Walmart are probably a little better since few people know you can get it there ... but whatever ...

I read that AT&T is 'NOT' activating phones at the stores June 24, not sure if that goes for Apple as well.

Believingly, Apple's iTunes servers will actually, maybe, possibly be ready for the 4.2 million iPhone activations that will start to occur June 24. Probably not though ... ugh.

Really? Apple activate in store last year. Things would move a lot more quickly if they just sold it rather than opening it up and activating etc...

rileyrd
Jun 19, 2010, 03:29 PM
I hope they are at least giving the option of activating in the store. I really want to take a working phone to work after pickup. Better chance of getting activated since it would be early on the east coast instead of Thursday evening when everyone is trying activate.

vdub4life
Jun 20, 2010, 06:54 PM
okay...so looks like I'll be at SouthPointe at 4...who's in? You think 4 is early enough? I'm not camping but I am bringing a chair.

absolut`
Jun 20, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'll be at Southpoint around 4-5 AM. Hopefully its not too bad.

I have a reservation email but I'm not on their system list.. so I'll need to find out which line I should be in when I go visit them before they close at 9PM.

vdub4life
Jun 20, 2010, 09:41 PM
I had a reservation too but when I called to confirm he said I cancelled it!...? He said it was an AT&T screw up. So I guess I will just be in the first come, first serve line. A friend and I are coming from Fayetteville so it really kind of blows because I don't get off of work until midnight.

absolut`
Jun 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
I had a reservation too but when I called to confirm he said I cancelled it!...? He said it was an AT&T screw up. So I guess I will just be in the first come, first serve line. A friend and I are coming from Fayetteville so it really kind of blows because I don't get off of work until midnight.

Did you ever get a confirmation email? I did, so I'm gonna print mine out and ask them which line I should stand in.

Worse comes to worse, I'll go early enough to stand in the walk-in line.

jon889
Jun 20, 2010, 10:17 PM
Not sure if i should do southpoint, crabtree, or walnut street AT&T. Don't feel like waking up at 4AM just to sit in line... but I guess everyone is in the same boat. I didn't preorder or do an in-store reserve, in fact I've never gotten an iPhone at launch (still using my iPhone 2G). Would be helpful to share twitters or something so we can update each other on what the lines at the different stores look like, etc.

Is there any advantage to buying at an Apple Store over buying at Radio Shack, Bestbuy, AT&T?

cmorriss
Jun 21, 2010, 01:21 PM
I've verified I can't get a pre-authorization at this point for the store, so I'll get just there super early (10 to 11 pm Wed). I already sold my iPhone 3G on Ebay (Wanted to get it done before the usual flood after the iPhone 4 is launched). I'll have to bring a book for something to do. Boy, I really miss the iPhone!! This will make getting the iPhone 4 all that much better as I'll have gone a week without any phone at all.

Hope the weather is good.

absolut`
Jun 21, 2010, 02:22 PM
I've verified I can't get a pre-authorization at this point for the store, so I'll get just there super early (10 to 11 pm Wed).

Dang, if people are gonna go that early, I suppose I'll go around midnight... waiting for 7 hours... what the heck am I going to do in that time.

cmorriss
Jun 21, 2010, 02:57 PM
Dang, if people are gonna go that early, I suppose I'll go around midnight... waiting for 7 hours... what the heck am I going to do in that time.

Yeah, maybe that's a little too early. I'll probably go a little later. Maybe around 1 AM. I just don't want to show up and find out that there were a LOT more people interested in getting this phone than anyone realizes. Especially considering that I have no cell phone at the moment, I really need to get it soon.

yuenglinggolfer
Jun 21, 2010, 07:51 PM
I've got a reservation for Southpoint, received a reminder email earlier today. I was thinking about arriving at 5 AM.

vdub4life
Jun 21, 2010, 08:30 PM
HOLEY COW that's really LOL 10-11pm the day before?! I can't do it, I'll be at work but like I said, some friends and I are gonna be there at like 230am ish. It will be cool to see you guys there. I almost feel crazy for doing this, I just hope it's fun too.

mcgillmaine
Jun 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah I wasn't able to pre order it on the 15th. So I'm one of the ones trying to get the phone on the 24th with a "walk in". And two at that. So I know my chances are very low.

Any idea what place might be the smartest to go to?

Thanks for the help!

jon889
Jun 22, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm going to go at 6am to Crabtree and see what it looks like... if it's too crowded I'll go to the Walnut St AT&T (Cary), and then try Bestbuy/Walmart if all else fails. Seems like the line will be crazy at Southpoint if people are really getting there the night before =/ I'm hoping to get a black 32GB.

I get standing in line for hours for a concert, or something like that, but getting in line just for the sake of consumerism seems a little crazy to me. Oh well, crazy is good.

cmorriss
Jun 22, 2010, 03:34 PM
Oh boy, looks like I'm back to lining up at 10 or 11 pm the night before. AT&T won't have any walk-in inventory until 6/29. The Apple stores are going to be pounded. This is shaping up to be another rip roaring clusterf*ck courtesy of AT&T. Can't wait.

absolut`
Jun 22, 2010, 06:41 PM
Oh boy, looks like I'm back to lining up at 10 or 11 pm the night before. AT&T won't have any walk-in inventory until 6/29. The Apple stores are going to be pounded. This is shaping up to be another rip roaring clusterf*ck courtesy of AT&T. Can't wait.

Hahahah, love it.

Yeah I'm gonna try to get there around 11PM-12AM, maybe we'll see each other. Guess I won't know until I ask people when I meet them if they have a account name of "cmoriss" on macrumors. LOL.

kintoro
Jun 22, 2010, 10:18 PM
I stopped by Soutpointe and called Crabtree and was told the following:

Soutpointe is opening at 7 as all Apple stores are doing but they are only allowing pre-orders in the store from 7-10. At 10 they will start processing the walk-ups which is a separate inventory from the reservations. They are unsure if Soutpointe allows camping but once they open they will be providing drinks and snacks for people.

Crabtree opens the mall at 5 but they were not sure which door is going to be unlocked first. They will have two lines, one for reservations and one for people without but will begin processing both at 7AM

triplecoil
Jun 23, 2010, 07:36 AM
I stopped by Soutpointe and called Crabtree and was told the following:

Soutpointe is opening at 7 as all Apple stores are doing but they are only allowing pre-orders in the store from 7-10. At 10 they will start processing the walk-ups which is a separate inventory from the reservations. They are unsure if Soutpointe allows camping but once they open they will be providing drinks and snacks for people.

Crabtree opens the mall at 5 but they were not sure which door is going to be unlocked first. They will have two lines, one for reservations and one for people without but will begin processing both at 7AM

Man, that sucks if that's the case. Looks like us early birds are in for a hell of a night/morning.

mcgillmaine
Jun 23, 2010, 07:37 AM
I'm going to Crabtree around 4am and wait it out till 7. I don't have a pre order and in need of two iphone 4s. So I hope there's a good chance at getting both.

Were any of you in the wait line/walk ins for the 3g/3gs at this store? And if so how was it handled?

Good luck to you all and see you in the morning!

triplecoil
Jun 23, 2010, 11:25 AM
Looks like there's a decent chance for thunderstorms tonight. Things are getting more and more...interesting :p

DocNYz
Jun 23, 2010, 12:59 PM
I made a reservation yesterday which went through. I received a confirmation email about an hour later after the reservation was made. Called the store today, they said they do not have me in their system. WTF. After work, I went to the store to talk to someone, still not in the system.

So I asked "What happens if I'm in the reserve line, get in, and turns out I'm not in the system?". The guy said as long as I have my printed confirmation email, worse case scenario, they'd probably give me one from the "walk-in supply."

So anyways, I plan to get to Southpoint around 5 AM, with a book. I was just wondering when anyone else was planning on going?

Guys, this is the 3G meetup post! look at the dates before this page they're 2008! Here is the designated Southpoint and Durham thread for the iPhone 4

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=941927

DocNYz
Jun 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
Were any of you in the wait line/walk ins for the 3g/3gs at this store? And if so how was it handled?

Read above in this thread because it's for the 3G :)

Figbash Acrobat
Jun 27, 2010, 04:13 AM
Waiting to hear what stock levels are at the Raleigh/Durham stores after the initial launch day(s)....

My girl went by the mall (Crabtree) yesterday around noon and said there was no line, but I'm guessing that mean they're all out after the initial frenzy.

rileyrd
Jun 27, 2010, 04:50 AM
Crabtree store is now started a priority list for when phones come in as of yesterday. Hopefully I will be near the top for the next shipment. I think you have to go to the store to sign up.