PDA

View Full Version : San Diego, CA

hokullani
Jun 15, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'll be down at the UTC Apple store. Last year i waited in line at the ATT store by my house in encinitas and they ran out and didn't tell us until we got into the store so we all rushed down to the apple store and just walked right in and bought one, took like 2 minutes at the apple store.

Ilovemyipod
Jun 15, 2008, 02:25 AM
IM going to the apple store Otay Ranch i'll be there about 5ish:)

scotty588
Jun 15, 2008, 09:31 PM
I'm in Carlsbad, but I was down in Del Mar at the time last year so I went to the nearest ATT. Like with you they didn't tell us till we got to the front that they ran out of 8 GB models. We called UTC Apple store, said they had a bunch. Drove over, ran in and got an 8 GB no hassle. I'll be at UTC as well.

djrobsd
Jun 16, 2008, 12:27 AM
Depending on the time I'll most likely be at UTC, as it's right across the street from my office. If they are going to start selling them when the store opens, I'll definately be there.

I didn't buy one during the launch, so I'm looking forward to owning my first iphone!

madcran
Jun 16, 2008, 12:55 AM
It's too bad the new Apple stores in Carlsbad and Escondido aren't going to open for a while. Oh well, I might go with my boss to UTC, but since the Otay Ranch one is so much less busy than the other two stores, I might just go there. Of course the gas to get all the way out there is going to cost me.

cypherdv
Jun 16, 2008, 06:18 AM
So it sounds like the consensus is saying that it's better to go to an Apple store rather than an AT&T store? How early have you guys gone prior to the doors opening?

BTW, anyone going to the Fashion Valley store?

citron230
Jun 16, 2008, 10:22 AM
I am going to the Fashion Valley Store, I live in Hillcrest so it is much closer. I have ben debating possibly going to an AT&T store so I won't have to wait in such a long line.

hokullani
Jun 16, 2008, 10:23 AM
It's too bad the new Apple stores in Carlsbad and Escondido aren't going to open for a while. Oh well, I might go with my boss to UTC, but since the Otay Ranch one is so much less busy than the other two stores, I might just go there. Of course the gas to get all the way out there is going to cost me.

I know I'm only like 5 minutes away from the new Carlsbad store, I was hoping they might open the store like the day of launch or something, has there been any info on when it will open?

hokullani
Jun 16, 2008, 11:18 AM
I am going to the Fashion Valley Store, I live in Hillcrest so it is much closer. I have ben debating possibly going to an AT&T store so I won't have to wait in such a long line.

You definitely shouldn't go to an ATT store, last year they got so much less than the Apple store, and Apple had the line moving so fast, AT&T was a joke, they wanted you to place an order after they were out because they would get commission for the order, my dad was able to drive down to UTC pick up a phone and get home in the time it took me to move about 3 places in line. Plus Apple had water and Wi-Fi for the people in line, unlike AT&T who were all hiding insider their nice air conditioned room.

citron230
Jun 16, 2008, 12:49 PM
You definitely shouldn't go to an ATT store, last year they got so much less than the Apple store, and Apple had the line moving so fast, AT&T was a joke, they wanted you to place an order after they were out because they would get commission for the order, my dad was able to drive down to UTC pick up a phone and get home in the time it took me to move about 3 places in line. Plus Apple had water and Wi-Fi for the people in line, unlike AT&T who were all hiding insider their nice air conditioned room.

thanks for the heads up. after reading that and some other stories about AT&T last year, I will stay away from the corporate AT&T stores and just go to Apple. I have heard a lot of people say that the apple stores will have plenty.

djrobsd
Jun 16, 2008, 01:15 PM
What time are you guys planning on showing up at UTC? I'm not sure if I want to line up or not. If the phone goes on sale at 6, they will most likely have the cute little line outside like they did last year. I might leave work a couple hours early and walk over there and just hang out...

Maybe I'll even bring a little cooler and some beers and my beach chair... And definately my Macbook pro if they are having free wi-fi... LOL

I don't think Westfield UTC prohibits alcohol on their premesis, in fact many of their vendors sell it, so probably not.

djuarez03
Jun 16, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'll probably be going to the Otay Ranch Apple Store with my brother. We are both going to upgrade our iPhones, although he needs it more than I do. He is using a 4 Gig iPhone with a cracked screen!! He was absolutely livid when I bought my 8 gig iPhone at a cheaper price than his 4 gig. I'll be getting the 16 gig, and I'm asumming that he will be too. I'm going for black, but I'm not sure what he is getting.

hokullani
Jun 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
I think I'll be there around 5:30 (if they are going on sale at 6 again). Last year I had a lot of fun sitting and talking with people so I might even go earlier, I'll be bringing my 12" PowerBook (maybe I'll get a MacBook pro for school by then) and will get a black 16gb for me and a white 16gb for my mom, I can't wait!

scotty588
Jun 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
I know I'm only like 5 minutes away from the new Carlsbad store, I was hoping they might open the store like the day of launch or something, has there been any info on when it will open?
I am right across from it as well in La Costa. ifo Apple Store has some info.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html (about half way down the page, just search apple key + f or ctrl + f on PC and type Carlsbad)
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2008/03/20/carlsbad%E2%80%A6still-pinpointing-the-space/

hokullani
Jun 16, 2008, 09:02 PM
I am right across from it as well in La Costa. ifo Apple Store has some info.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html (about half way down the page, just search apple key + f or ctrl + f on PC and type Carlsbad)
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2008/03/20/carlsbad%E2%80%A6still-pinpointing-the-space/

Looks like it won't be opening until August 22nd thats a bummer, i thought they could have opened it July 11th in time for the iphone launch

adpretto
Jun 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hey Everyone I'm going to be heading to Fashion Valley again this year. I was in line last year for the original iphone and I believe I was number 8 in line. Arrive Early and you'll definately get an iphone. Fashion is one of apple flagship stores and got one the largest shipments of the stores. It was also one of the stores apple sent a film crew last year because it's one of the highest earning stores.
Fashion Valley is lame though and that you can't sleep on mall premises, so you can't get in line til its officially opens which last year was at 5am or 6am I believe. Fashion valley had security at most of the entrances and had locked the parking garages so you had to be sneaky to get in. But if you want to be in the middle of the action head to Fashion it was a blast year with the film crew on site, tons of media crews, free food , promotions , prizes.

Anyone else heading to Fashion???

If you have any other questions hit me up
Anthony

reebs1990
Jun 17, 2008, 02:36 PM
Hey Everyone I'm going to be heading to Fashion Valley again this year. I was in line last year for the original iphone and I believe I was number 8 in line. Arrive Early and you'll definately get an iphone. Fashion is one of apple flagship stores and got one the largest shipments of the stores. It was also one of the stores apple sent a film crew last year because it's one of the highest earning stores.
Fashion Valley is lame though and that you can't sleep on mall premises, so you can't get in line til its officially opens which last year was at 5am or 6am I believe. Fashion valley had security at most of the entrances and had locked the parking garages so you had to be sneaky to get in. But if you want to be in the middle of the action head to Fashion it was a blast year with the film crew on site, tons of media crews, free food , promotions , prizes.

Anthony

I think I'll be there hopefully, we'll see if I can get the day off!

hokullani
Jun 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
Well I'm about to kill myself because I just realized I might have to wait a month later because won't have a line upgrade by then, does anyone know if they make you have a line upgrade ready or is it like the old one where you could just get one anyways?

d-money
Jun 17, 2008, 09:38 PM
Well I'm about to kill myself because I just realized I might have to wait a month later because won't have a line upgrade by then, does anyone know if they make you have a line upgrade ready or is it like the old one where you could just get one anyways?

I don't think its an issue, since they don't offer any discounts on the iphone with activation. I think you'll just need to extend your contract 2 more years.

Dangeresque
Jun 20, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hey all,

I'm planning on heading over and doing a liveblog from the Fashion Valley store for the day. What do you all think? Anyone want to be an accomplice?

--Brady

hokullani
Jun 20, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hey all,

I'm planning on heading over and doing a liveblog from the Fashion Valley store for the day. What do you all think? Anyone want to be an accomplice?

--Brady

who are you liveblogging for? Your own site?

Turboedtwo
Jun 21, 2008, 02:06 AM
I'll be at UTC. Do they go on sale when the store opens or are they waiting for shipments throughout the day?

B3CK24
Jun 21, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'll be at Fashion.. I have to be. LOL

djrobsd
Jun 21, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'll be at UTC. Do they go on sale when the store opens or are they waiting for shipments throughout the day?

No, the news has it that they go on sale at 6pm, NOT 6am. LOL

citron230
Jun 22, 2008, 11:21 PM

Anthony

i'll be at fashion valley. i was thinking about getting in line about 11am. do you think i should get there earlier.

adpretto
Jun 23, 2008, 08:51 AM
last year at fashion valley it was crazy i think i arrived at 5am and had to find parking in a lot that was closed off or locked, then they wouldn't let any one on the premises til 6am i believe. the first guy in line got lucky because the tv new crews said to him you can stay and be number one in line if you do some interviews so he got to stay. so when i came back on the premises i was number 8 in line.
this year is going to be hard to judge, will there be alot of people ? I think yes , but the excitement is as much because we have already gotten to witness the launch of the first iphone, i still think there will be a line but not as crazy, last year i think the line was about 200-300 people when they opened the doors at 6pm, this year should be interesting definately.
I'll be down there bright and early.

citron230
Jun 23, 2008, 12:01 PM
then i will probably see you there. i plan on getting there early. i was thinking around 11am, but i have friend who wants to get there earlier than that.

elitepyro
Jun 23, 2008, 01:22 PM
Me and my dad will be in fashion valley, we're comming from Belgium, yeah transatlantic! We're landing at 5pm, is there any chance we could still get some iPhones? And the day after, will it still be as bussy? My last resort would be to pay someone to wait for me in line, we only have 2 days in San Diego...

citron230
Jun 23, 2008, 02:02 PM
Me and my dad will be in fashion valley, we're comming from Belgium, yeah transatlantic! We're landing at 5pm, is there any chance we could still get some iPhones? And the day after, will it still be as bussy? My last resort would be to pay someone to wait for me in line, we only have 2 days in San Diego...

I will be there in line already. What day are you going to get your phone. If you arrive in San Diego at 5pm, are you going straight from Lindbergh Field to Fashion Valley?

elitepyro
Jun 23, 2008, 05:28 PM
Yes, the 11th... but hey, we'll probably be too tired to stand in line for a whole afternoon, So we'll have to go the 12th, should we get up early? like 6am and quickly head to fashion valley and get our phones? or wouldn't it matter.
Excuse me for my poor English, I'm just a humble Belgian kid.

citron230
Jun 23, 2008, 10:47 PM
Yes, the 11th... but hey, we'll probably be too tired to stand in line for a whole afternoon, So we'll have to go the 12th, should we get up early? like 6am and quickly head to fashion valley and get our phones? or wouldn't it matter.
Excuse me for my poor English, I'm just a humble Belgian kid.

The mall doesn't open until 9 or 10am. I am not sure what time they will be lining up on Saturday but I think you will be able to get a phone that day, especially since they will have all day to sell them, unlike the previous day when they will only sell the latter portion.

maiden16tiger
Jul 2, 2008, 02:08 AM
well, im going to be at Fashion Valley Mall, but umm.. do you guys think that a camp out is necessary? like, camp outside apple a day before? :confused:

muya
Jul 2, 2008, 02:01 PM
fascist valley, or utc. is there a difference? how early should I get there?

citron230
Jul 2, 2008, 02:25 PM
well, im going to be at Fashion Valley Mall, but umm.. do you guys think that a camp out is necessary? like, camp outside apple a day before? :confused:

no i don't think it is necessary. I was at the Apple Store yesterday replacing my mouse and asked the guy at the Genius Bar what time the phones go on sale. He said they don't know until July 6th.
If they don't go on sale until 10am, I will be at the AT&T store in Mission Valley at 5am. If the Apple Store does indeed start selling at 8am, I will be there at 5am. I don't think a camp out the night before is necessary, or possible with the security guards there.

maiden16tiger
Jul 2, 2008, 03:48 PM
no i don't think it is necessary. I was at the Apple Store yesterday replacing my mouse and asked the guy at the Genius Bar what time the phones go on sale. He said they don't know until July 6th.
If they don't go on sale until 10am, I will be at the AT&T store in Mission Valley at 5am. If the Apple Store does indeed start selling at 8am, I will be there at 5am. I don't think a camp out the night before is necessary, or possible with the security guards there.

oh okay, well, will you be able to be outside the store like at 5 am? will security let you?

adpretto
Jul 2, 2008, 06:43 PM
Hey Guys,
as I said before i was in attendence at the original iphone launch, and at Fashion Valley they won't let you on the premise i believe until about 6ish
so you cant camp out overnight security wont let you since its a enclosed mall,
after reading ATT bullentins that were published i believe apple will do the same and release the phones at 8am, cause the sign up time will be longer since there is no home activation it looks like.
But I will be there at 5am sharp if not earlier, since i have to wake up that early for work,
last year I was number 8 in line, and i will be at Fashion again this year.

citron230
Jul 2, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hey Guys,
as I said before i was in attendence at the original iphone launch, and at Fashion Valley they won't let you on the premise i believe until about 6ish
so you cant camp out overnight security wont let you since its a enclosed mall,
after reading ATT bullentins that were published i believe apple will do the same and release the phones at 8am, cause the sign up time will be longer since there is no home activation it looks like.
But I will be there at 5am sharp if not earlier, since i have to wake up that early for work,
last year I was number 8 in line, and i will be at Fashion again this year.

I plan on getting in line at 5am as well. I will probably see you there. I am hoping for an 8am launch with Apple so I can go to Fashion Valley rather than the Mission Valley AT&T Corporate Store.

elitepyro
Jul 3, 2008, 05:04 AM
maybe a stupid question, but could there still be some original iphone units available? or will they only concentrate on selling the new 3G

citron230
Jul 3, 2008, 08:53 AM
i think the only place you can get an original iPhone Unit is on CL or eBay. I think Apple and AT&T are concentrating on the 3G.

umdjb
Jul 6, 2008, 05:22 AM
Anyone interested in meeting at the downtown AT&T store at 8 am ???

lazygregg
Jul 7, 2008, 08:58 AM
did the apple stores in utc and fashion valley sellout last year on launch day of iphones?

adpretto
Jul 7, 2008, 10:40 AM
The apple stores in fashion valley didnt sell out last year still sunday afternoon, cause i was there on friday in line and got mine and there was about 300 or so people in line, then i called the store at about 4ish on sunday cause my mom and sister wanted one then and they told me they were sold out.
This year I expect them to have more inventory, but at the same time, i dont expect the huge lines like last yr.

citron230
Jul 7, 2008, 12:34 PM
I will be at Fashion Valley for my 3G iPhone. What time did you get there last year. I plan on getting there around 5am.

etaylor3971
Jul 7, 2008, 04:33 PM
Anyone interested in meeting at the downtown AT&T store at 8 am ???

I'll probably go to the DT AT&T store at 8am -- I'm in Little Italy so that's close and hopefully not as crowded as the Apple Store will be (plus I have a family plan which might be easier for AT&T to deal with when I get the new 3g iphone - the other phone on the plan is not an iphone).

I'd consider Fashion Valley Apple if they open at 8am, but I'm not counting on it.

maiden16tiger
Jul 7, 2008, 06:36 PM
so its official, Apple will sell at 8am ...but im calling Fashion Valley, and the automated operator mention something about opening at 9 for iphone sells... im now waiting for my turn with a representative....:confused:

i want to know what time for sure....
do they accept cash? or only credit and checks.....
and if there will be a chance for me to camp out :p doubt it though lol

but ill try my hardest... also, i want to know if existing Iphone Users have to get their Credit checked like the last time via Itunes. im only 16 :p so i might have to bring in my dad.... hope not.. i want to do this alone =D

lazygregg
Jul 7, 2008, 08:34 PM
i will definitely be at the fashion valley apple store..i was considering going to the AT&T store in mission valley but i'd rather go where the action is!

muya
Jul 7, 2008, 10:28 PM
at fascist valley, too.

szsz
Jul 8, 2008, 11:07 PM
Soooo, care to share on the creative parking (@FV) before 6a? Over by the Container Store?

boomersmech
Jul 8, 2008, 11:17 PM
I will be at fashion valley as well, I did talk to a few people at Apple about this years launch. They wont comment about the amount of phones they have but, they did say it will take about 20 minutes per phone to get it activated through AT&T. They said you will have to have these items or you will be completely out of luck.

-If you are Not an Authorized user on an account (Authorized to make biling changes) they cant help you. (i.e Family Share plans)
-They need a State issued ID (California DL / ID)
-Your Social Secuity Number
-The scurity code to the AT&T account.

This year they will not be selling phones without activating them. So you cannot buy them as gifts or plan on activating them through iTunes.

They told me this is current information and may not be the way they handle sales after the initial debut.

I asked them about lining up. They said to come back on Thursday after noon for an answer. Apprently last year was pretty hectic. People filed complaints because they arrived around midnight and becuase some parts of the mall were not adquately guraded, others just drove in and parked had better spots in line.

If I find anything else out I will post it here about lining up.. I plan on going to Apple after work on Thursday.

cypherdv
Jul 8, 2008, 11:59 PM
I was planning on going to Fashion at 6am also. Anyone know if we'll be able to actually form a line/camp inside the mall? Anyone camping out the night before (Thursday)?

AC Rempt
Jul 9, 2008, 02:13 AM
6 AM at Otay Ranch. I hope it won't be too hot, but being in the morning should help.

I don't think this will be as crazy as last time, especially since people saw how they were able to get phones later in the day or on the weekend.

I hope.

boha
Jul 9, 2008, 04:25 AM
I'll be at Fashion Valley around 6ish. That's the plan, at least. I got to UTC around 10am last year and was about 40th in line. Of course, with all the activation hoops to jump through this time, the line will probably move far less briskly.

If you're weighing going to an Apple Store against an ATT Store, definitely go to the Apple Store. Apple Retail is consumer-friendly (e.g. free Smart Water, Wi-Fi, nice employees who are genuinely happy to see so many people excited to be there), whereas ATT is consumer-hostile (e.g. the new rate plans, limited supply, the fact that it's ATT, etc.). I mean, come on. You're getting in line for an Apple Product. Why not be with Your People?

voicegy
Jul 9, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'm pleased to see some others know Fashion Valley by its otherwise underground name "fascist" valley. Do you also know Santee as "Klantee" or Point Loma as "Point Coma"? There's a bunch of 'em out there.....;)

I, like others here, was at Fashion Valley last year. The hype last year was through the roof, as the iPhone itself was, of course, new. This year will be "busy" but nothing like last time, I expect.

Don't bother "spending the night" there - you can't anyway, and it won't be necessary. Just get there at 6:00 or a little before - then you can park and most likely be able to walk on site IF you wanna be of the "first 100 or so in line" crowd. There will be plenty of phones. For several days afterward, they still had plenty.

You can bring a lawn chair or similar if you like. We were treated with a great deal of respect and courtesy from the mall staff as well as the Apple staff - of course, we had to sit there ALL DAY until 6:00 p.m. so getting free food from various mall eateries and free water from the folks in the Apple store made it more tolerable. This year you're all lucky - no waiting all day for YOUR iPhone!:rolleyes:

Here is a snippet from that day a year ago - just gotta put up with the lame short commercial first - I'm the first guy who talks:D

http://tinyurl.com/2wwfpw

lazygregg
Jul 9, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'm pleased to see some others know Fashion Valley by its otherwise underground name "fascist" valley. Do you also know Santee as "Klantee" or Point Loma as "Point Coma"? There's a bunch of 'em out there.....;)

I, like others here, was at Fashion Valley last year. The hype last year was through the roof, as the iPhone itself was, of course, new. This year will be "busy" but nothing like last time, I expect.

Don't bother "spending the night" there - you can't anyway, and it won't be necessary. Just get there at 6:00 or a little before - then you can park and most likely be able to walk on site IF you wanna be of the "first 100 or so in line" crowd. There will be plenty of phones. For several days afterward, they still had plenty.

You can bring a lawn chair or similar if you like. We were treated with a great deal of respect and courtesy from the mall staff as well as the Apple staff - of course, we had to sit there ALL DAY until 6:00 p.m. so getting free food from various mall eateries and free water from the folks in the Apple store made it more tolerable. This year you're all lucky - no waiting all day for YOUR iPhone!:rolleyes:

Here is a snippet from that day a year ago - just gotta put up with the lame short commercial first - I'm the first guy who talks:D

http://tinyurl.com/2wwfpw

i wanna be on video this year! nice little clip!

chakote
Jul 9, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'll be in line at fashion valley. See you all there!

scotty588
Jul 9, 2008, 02:45 PM
UTC Apple store at ~6am for me.

adpretto
Jul 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
Hey there, so ya as I said before ill be at Fashion Valley bright and early , probably arrive around 5ish or so , maybe close to 6am , last yr as I said I was number 8 in line, you just have to find a clever place to park, the nice thing this year is that we dont have to wait all day long.
hit me up with any question you might have.

lazygregg
Jul 9, 2008, 10:43 PM
i'll be at fashion valley at 5am..if you see me come say hi!

i'm the guy on the left

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2634025182_b4834ab22c.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2634025182_b4834ab22c.jpg)

maiden16tiger
Jul 9, 2008, 11:08 PM

i'm the guy on the left

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2634025182_b4834ab22c.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2634025182_b4834ab22c.jpg)

lol... ill say "hi" =] im a 16 year old.,,i want to be the first in line =]

boomersmech
Jul 10, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'm going to stop by Apple tomorrow at 6pm to get the details on if the mall will be open to line up before 6am. I am planning on being there early as well I will let you all know all the details of FV Situation.

Thanks,
Eric

szsz
Jul 10, 2008, 12:19 AM
Ya, I am going to stop by as well. I have a Q about whether I'll be able to port my number, so may as well find out in advance.

Anyone want to spill on the pre-6a parking?

I don't think I'll make it there before 6a, realistically, anyway, though.

lazygregg
Jul 10, 2008, 06:00 AM
i'm riding my bike :)
so parking shouldnt be an issue

szsz
Jul 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm waiting for pedals on my commuter bike, else I'd be riding too :(

Is it dark at 5a?

lazygregg
Jul 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
yes its dark at 5am.its usually dark until like 6:00am

boomersmech
Jul 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
!!UPDATE ON FASHION VALLEY PARKING!!!
The mall will be closed until 6am, again this year. I got the rep to leak that there will be limited parking for employees underground by Bloomingdales.

Here is a link to pinpoint the parking structure on the map. If you click "Street View" I belive the structure I was told will be available, is going to be the one to the right.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=32.767429,+-117.164372&ie=UTF8&ll=32.767813,-117.163889&spn=0.002066,0.003304&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=32.767221,-117.164213&panoid=yQbKVV91mYpnX9RxL9Mi-A

The best and maybe only way to get to this road is by accessing the mall through the back using Avenida Del Rio.

Feel free to MSG me if you have anyother questions!

ALSO!! Check out this cool feature!

if you check out www.apple.com/retail/iphone/ you can see in the upper left a link to check the availibility of the iphones at any retail store. The page will be available after 9pm PST today (Thursday).

The direct link to the Availibility page is http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html but remember it wont be active until after 9pm.

Thanks and see you all there!!
Eric S

boomersmech
Jul 10, 2008, 12:38 PM
Ya, I am going to stop by as well. I have a Q about whether I'll be able to port my number, so may as well find out in advance.

They can answer that over the phone for you! (619) 682-3477

Good luck!

boomersmech
Jul 10, 2008, 12:39 PM

i'm the guy on the left

Ill be there too I'm the one with the iPhone.. :)

citron230
Jul 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
My AT&T account says I am no longer available for an upgrade, so I am going to AT&T in Mission Valley today to try to get it worked out. Luckily I took a screen shot of my account page showing I was eligible two days ago. I am hoping they can get my account noted so that I can still go to the Apple Store tomorrow. :confused:

lazygregg
Jul 10, 2008, 12:45 PM
eric, can we wait outside the store if we get there at 5am? or will we get kicked out?

!!UPDATE ON FASHION VALLEY PARKING!!!
The mall will be closed until 6am, again this year. I got the rep to leak that there will be limited parking for employees underground by Bloomingdales.

Here is a link to pinpoint the parking structure on the map. If you click "Street View" I belive the structure I was told will be available, is going to be the one to the right.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=32.767429,+-117.164372&ie=UTF8&ll=32.767813,-117.163889&spn=0.002066,0.003304&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=32.767221,-117.164213&panoid=yQbKVV91mYpnX9RxL9Mi-A

The best and maybe only way to get to this road is by accessing the mall through the back using Avenida Del Rio.

Feel free to MSG me if you have anyother questions!

ALSO!! Check out this cool feature!

if you check out www.apple.com/retail/iphone/ you can see in the upper left a link to check the availibility of the iphones at any retail store. The page will be available after 9pm PST today (Thursday).

The direct link to the Availibility page is http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html but remember it wont be active until after 9pm.

Thanks and see you all there!!
Eric S

szsz
Jul 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
VERY cool 411 Eric, thanks!! http://s3.media.macrumorslive.com/f/icons/icon14.gif

boomersmech
Jul 10, 2008, 01:09 PM
eric, can we wait outside the store if we get there at 5am? or will we get kicked out?

No, security will there in force. They will ask you to leave and go off the property, well until 6am of course. Best thing to do is find a good staging area and wait there.

I look at this as my practice for Comi-con!

Eric S.

lazygregg
Jul 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
it looks like i'll have to do be a sneaky apple iphone waiter

szsz
Jul 10, 2008, 02:24 PM
it looks like i'll have to do be a sneaky apple iphone waiter

And then.... MAD DASH!!!

And TY again, Eric -- you were right, they did answer over the phone. Now I just have to hope it was the correct answer :p

szsz
Jul 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
Also: iTunes 7.7 is available for DL via software update.

djrobsd
Jul 10, 2008, 05:58 PM
Here's an idea. Park your car in Old Town, and take the trolley to the Fashion Valley mall station! That way you don't have to worry about parking.

TRIP PLAN OPTION 2 of 4
TO: FASHION VALLEY

1. At 05:30 AM take the GREEN LINE TROLLEY signed GREEN SANTEE

2. Get off the stop at FASHION VALLEY TROLLEY STATION at approximately 05:36 AM.

Schedules and maps for your routes
Trolley Information
Fare Information
Regular Fare: $ 2.00
Senior & Disabled Fare: $ 1.00

djrobsd
Jul 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
I decided to go to the AT&T store in La Jolla/UTC because they did my pre-qual credit check today (700 FICO and approved with no deposit!), so it will be less hastle, but they have a very limited number of phones, so if the lines are too long when I show up tomorrow at 6am I might be forced to go elsewhere.

adpretto
Jul 10, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hey so ya Im Anthony,
I'm a returning customer of the iPhone , last year I waited in line at fashion i was number 8 , got alot of news and media coverage, was on the front page of Signonsandiego which was cool. well see what happens this year,
My plan of Attack pretty close to last year,
Im heading Fashion Valley Appl
I live in old town so im close by, Im gonna wake up get ready around 4ish, then head to get some coffee,
then I plan of head to the mall close to 5,
For parking the secret is to find a open lot (ground level) or underground , all the structures will be locked up, last year they were locked up and security posted at them til 6am,
Then after parking is done I will try my best to get on the mall premise, and yes it doesnt actually open til 6am but last year people were in line at about 5:50am. so well see how it works and turns out.
I dont expect a 300 person line or what not.
but who knows,
if you have any questions or need some advice let me know

And what iphone do you all plan on getting
Im getting the Black 16gb

lazygregg
Jul 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
AT&T Mission Valley @ 8pm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greggoconnell/2656992227/

edtorious
Jul 10, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hey so ya Im Anthony,
I'm a returning customer of the iPhone , last year I waited in line at fashion i was number 8 , got alot of news and media coverage, was on the front page of Signonsandiego which was cool. well see what happens this year,
My plan of Attack pretty close to last year,
Im heading Fashion Valley Appl
I live in old town so im close by, Im gonna wake up get ready around 4ish, then head to get some coffee,
then I plan of head to the mall close to 5,
For parking the secret is to find a open lot (ground level) or underground , all the structures will be locked up, last year they were locked up and security posted at them til 6am,
Then after parking is done I will try my best to get on the mall premise, and yes it doesnt actually open til 6am but last year people were in line at about 5:50am. so well see how it works and turns out.
I dont expect a 300 person line or what not.
but who knows,
if you have any questions or need some advice let me know

And what iphone do you all plan on getting
Im getting the Black 16gb

have you seen the line there now? :eek: better go now!

adpretto
Jul 10, 2008, 11:20 PM
hey dude your funny ,
mall security wouldnt allow a line to stay overnight.

lazygregg
Jul 10, 2008, 11:29 PM
hey dude your funny ,
mall security wouldnt allow a line to stay overnight.

that at&t isnt at the mall its by in and out burger in a plaza..theres no security there

adpretto
Jul 10, 2008, 11:53 PM
Ya i know that, the guy was making fun of my plan of attack and that, so ya i know att mission isnt at a mall and you could sleep , there but is no action at the ATT stores , no excitement no free stuff or media.

Where you all going tommorow and what are you purchasing

citron230
Jul 10, 2008, 11:55 PM
Where you all going tommorow and what are you purchasing

Fashion Valley and I'm getting White. see you at 5am. I will be one of the ones circling the lot looking for a space at 5am. :D

underwater
Jul 11, 2008, 12:22 AM
See ya at UTC 7am. Getting 16G Black like most everyone... expect they will run out of the 16G black.

itunes updated, appleTVs updated... ready for iphone 2.0 mobileMe tomorrow.

lazygregg
Jul 11, 2008, 12:37 AM
16gb white at fashion valley see u there at 5am

themaccast
Jul 11, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hey,
I will be at the Fasion Valley Store at about 6:00 AM and I will need people to do interviews for my podcast, http://www.maccast.com. If you are interested in helping out email me, maccast@gmail.com or contact me at the number below

Adam
----------------------------
The MacCast
6965 El Camino Real
Suite 105-442
Carlsbad CA 92009
USA

web: http://www.maccast.com
voice: 281.622.4269
email: maccast@gmail.com
jabber: maccast@gmail.com

scotty588
Jul 11, 2008, 08:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I'm here at UTC and there is probably 200+ people here. Line is wrapped around past the food court and See's Candies. Got here at about 6am

AC Rempt
Jul 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
I'm at Otay Ranch, #57 in a line of about 100. I got here at 6, and it's pretty calm. Some folks have camped out, but only a few. I feel fairly confident they'll have some 16 Gigs left, and they'll easily have enough for the line.

Mark Booth
Jul 11, 2008, 09:21 AM
I'm 6 people behind AC Rempt at Apple Store Chula Vista (Otay Ranch) so I guess that makes me #63 in line. There are another 50+ people in line behind me.

I sure hope they have enough 16GB black!

Mark

scotty588
Jul 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

they are handing out water bottles here. Brand is "smart water" which is funny. Then a cart with free starbucks came by. Now someone in spot 26 is selling their spot.

mrrish
Jul 11, 2008, 10:16 AM
I was hoping to grab an iPhone before 10 today at the UTC Apple store, i drove by and saw the horror that was the iPhone line. For those familiar with the mall structure, it started at the apple store, and went up near eddie bauer made a right and back around past the nordstrom parking (located across the small street). Easily HUNDREDS in line. I definitely think I'll be waiting. I wouldn't be surprised if that line wrapped around the building and reached back to the iphone store within the next 30 minutes (posted at 8:16am PST).

stridle
Jul 11, 2008, 10:53 AM
I had to work today so I got to miss out on all the fun. Any ideas for the best place to go to tomorrow, and how early? Anyone try any ATT stores or did everyone go for the apple stores? Thanks for any advice!

Explorz
Jul 11, 2008, 11:20 AM
At 8:00 AM July 11th - The big launch - NOT.

The ATT stores in Escondido and in San Marcos have no 16 gig black iphones.

Waited in line for an hour before finding that out. What a mismanaged joke.

Apple has botched this entire launch. I hope heads roll.

gugy
Jul 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
you guys are crazy!:D:D:D:D

I went yesterday to the AT&T store in Claremont and while I was there at least 5 people called asking about the iPhone.
My friend went to line at 4am and the iPhone 16gig black run out one person prior to him in line.

I figure out is just better wait few days and let this madness settle and then get my iPhone. Much better than go through this hell right now. ;)

AC Rempt
Jul 11, 2008, 12:11 PM
Well, after a "small" wait, I am a proud owner of a black 16 gig G3 iPhone that isn't activated.

It took a solid hour for the first person to come out with an activated phone, and then the line started moving relatively quickly. The hold up was entirely with the activation process, and once again, out friends at ATT are to blame. Their servers are melting down, and that's backing up on Apple.

Oy.

Still, I have the phone and life is good. It was fun and the staff was great. I have several former students who work there, but I still had to wait in line, so it's time to do some retroactive grade changes while I'm waiting to activate my phone ;)

PS, in the mean time, I have no cell phone! Until I can activate my new phone, I'm cell-less. Nice one, ATT.

voicegy
Jul 11, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hey, fellow Sandy Eggen's...Represent! Any activation feedback from our corner of the world?

http://tinyurl.com/iPocalypse

(I'm not getting a 3G, happy with my current iPhone and have been running iPhone 2.0 for a couple of months already due to being involved in Beta testing - but I'm curious and concerned about my bro's and sis-tah's here - how's activation going considering this mornings' Apple Server iPocalypse?)

djuarez03
Jul 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
I'm in line in otay ranch, got here around 9:30am with about 300 people already waiting in line! I've been here an hour already and have only moved about 20 feet. But at least the apple staff is courteous. They are giving out free water to people.

ctwildman
Jul 11, 2008, 12:32 PM
I'm in line here at the UTC mall in LJ. The line is mostly at a dead halt. Roughly 80 people in front of me and I've been here since 7am...

voicegy
Jul 11, 2008, 12:43 PM
Whoa, seems this whole "in store activation" bit was the WRONG idea. Last year, when the doors opened, we walked in, bought the phone in, like, 10 minutes, and went home happy. Logged on to iTunes, activated it within an hour. No muss, no fuss.

Of course, as usual, AT&T stores are running out of stock - I'd NEVER go to an AT&T store. Looks like, from what I've read around the Interwebs, that 16GB Black is flying out the doors first, leaving dozens of folks in the back of the line without that popular choice.

Best to wait for a few days, yes?:rolleyes:

AC Rempt
Jul 11, 2008, 12:50 PM
AT&T was a nightmare last year. I went to the store in Plaza Bonita with thoughts of staying out of the son and in the air conditioning. That was fine and good, after having to wrestle with security and calling in the mall manager, and i had fun playing games with people in line, etc.

I was one of the first through the door, and it took 40 minutes for them to get me through because--you guessed it--their servers were crawling.

So that's why I went to the Apple Store this year. Oh the irony . . .

Good luck, djuarez03! They are very nice at the Otay store.

sdphotog
Jul 11, 2008, 12:53 PM
Any updates from the Fashion Valley Apple Store? I'm thinking of heading down there, but was curious what the line was like.

gugy
Jul 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
Best to wait for a few days, yes?:rolleyes:

Exactly,
I am getting a family plan with 1 iPhone, so the AT&T store is my only option. I went last night to activate my wife regular phone (I am leaving Verizon) and I was planning to go to the same store today to pick up my iPhone black 16gig. After reading about the whole fiasco, I'll wait until Monday and see if it is any better, if not I'll just keep waiting.
It's not worth to go trough this hell for an iPhone.:rolleyes:

This is very bad for Apple, but in one month everybody will forget about this mess.

adpretto
Jul 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hey There folks,
so i arrived to Fashion at about 5:20 and I was about 40th or 50th in line, we couldnt have chairs which was lame but watever.

I do have my new black iphone 16GB in hand but I'm having the same problems as everyone else I still can't activate it, so I'm in possession of 2 iphones the original and the 3G both in active.

as I left fashion the line had grew to over 100 people, i dont know exactly how long it is.

Has anyone had any luck activating their phones

teksurv
Jul 11, 2008, 01:07 PM
Anyone at the UTC Apple store? Still a line, if so how long?

stridle
Jul 11, 2008, 01:08 PM
I am still undecided about which to go to tomorrow morning, and how early. I currently have a military discount, from what I have read any discount at all you either have to go to an ATT store, or call and cancel it before you go to Apple. Either way it doesnt matter, I just want to go where the phone will be.

jack612
Jul 11, 2008, 01:26 PM
So how do things look at Fashion Valley right now? Any chance of getting one this afternoon?

carrjar
Jul 11, 2008, 01:33 PM
I am still undecided about which to go to tomorrow morning, and how early. I currently have a military discount, from what I have read any discount at all you either have to go to an ATT store, or call and cancel it before you go to Apple. Either way it doesnt matter, I just want to go where the phone will be.

I STRONGLY recommend you go to an ATT store if you are expecting any discount. Now, if it's a plan/service discount, it will roll over or you can apply it after you get your phone. I don't believe there is any discount on iPhone hardware.

ctwildman
Jul 11, 2008, 01:49 PM
The line here at UTC is immense, at least 100 people easy. The line is moving extremely slowly. Maybe one person every two minutes enters the store.

The Apple employees have made it clear that if you intend to receive any sort of discount on your monthly bill, you MUST go to an AT&T store.

hokullani
Jul 11, 2008, 01:56 PM
I am about to murder ATT, I updated the software on my iphone this morning not knowing that people couldn't activate their phones and now it is fully bricked! I've been try to connect to the iTunes server and keep getting a -4 timeout error and am totally pissed. It disgusts me that ATT got their way of making people reactivate their phones and now mine does nothing!

lazygregg
Jul 11, 2008, 01:59 PM
video of me walking out of fashion valley
w/ my new iphone
"Anything is possible"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99sRdaEZVyI

adpretto
Jul 11, 2008, 02:44 PM
so after a long wait,
my iPhone just activated, while I was at Home, im so pumped to have it working, the 2.0 software is awesome, so how is everyone elses activation process going

teksurv
Jul 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
Ugh, I can't make up my mind. The UTC store number is always busy, If I stand in line for 2 hours I hope I get a 16gb iPhone...

underwater
Jul 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
just returned home from UTC. Wait was 4.5 hours from 6:30am lineup. The in-store purchase took about 10min, activation only took 2mins and my itunes data sync took less than 5min...

While I was in the store, the apple staff said the itunes activations suddenly had gotten faster... they guessed the ATT gateway had been temp bypassed, etc.

Line was about 125 people... that's a 3 hour wait at this morning's speed... but if activations are going faster, it could be half that wait.

They won't talk numbers, but all guesses are that they have enough phones for today and tomorrow.

16G Black.... surprising how much better it feels in the hand over the old iPhone.

AC Rempt
Jul 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah, mine's activated, too, and now I'm just waiting for it to complete the synch of all my stuff before I go shopping for apps.

I took a nice nap to compensate for getting up at 5 AM to on line at 6 (how do people do this on a regular basis?), and now everything seems peachy keen.

hokullani
Jul 11, 2008, 03:10 PM
Anyone still at UTC or just come from there i am trying to figure out how big the line is still or if they are running low

szsz
Jul 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
Has anyone had any luck activating their phones

Got to FV @ 6; phone in hand by 10:45. No in-store activation; no drama.
2nd attempt to activate at home went through. Hooray. http://cf.media.macrumorslive.com/f/icons/icon14.gif

Low
Jul 11, 2008, 03:35 PM
oh cool, so they're allowing home activation now? im trying to avoid the long wait times.

citron230
Jul 11, 2008, 04:07 PM
Arrived at FV at 4:55. 54th in line. In the store at 8:54. I was instructed to activate at home, which I did. 2nd time I was up and running. I love it!

teksurv
Jul 11, 2008, 04:30 PM
Just came from UTC, decided not to stay. The line was to See's Candies, >100 people for sure. Good luck!

neediphone
Jul 11, 2008, 05:02 PM
Has anyone heard whether any apple store has run out of stock? Do they anticipate meeting everyone's demands today?

bigtar
Jul 11, 2008, 05:44 PM
I have been to both Fashion Valley and Otay Ranch. Both lines silly long. FV past Pizzaria Uno.

I think I'll try again Monday, after looking at the availability online the night before.

neediphone
Jul 11, 2008, 05:57 PM
I was just at UTC, it's a long line, probably close to 200 and moving slowly. They may have enough stock to go till 10 but I don't think they can get everyone through. This in store activation is dramatically slowing the process down. Tomorrow will probably be even worse.

Anyone have Otay news? How long did those of you in Otay wait to get one? Have they run out of stock? They way people are waiting you'd think they were giving these things away.

szsz
Jul 11, 2008, 07:05 PM
oh cool, so they're allowing home activation now? im trying to avoid the long wait times.

Not exactly; just the final part where you connect to iTunes, which is necessary to activate the phone itself, was what I did at home. You still have to establish the AT+T account and plan in-store.

MikeLord
Jul 11, 2008, 07:07 PM
Any line status updates available for UTC or Fashion Valley?

Low
Jul 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
oh booo..

thanks for the reply though...appreciated! Not exactly; just the final part where you connect to iTunes, which is necessary to activate the phone itself, was what I did at home. You still have to establish the AT+T account and plan in-store.

scotty588
Jul 11, 2008, 07:14 PM
I arrived at UTC at around 6am and the line was down to See's Candies, about 150 people in front of me. 4 1/2 hours later I was in the door (in by ~10:30am).

Had some problems getting the plan to replace my current iPhone plan on family talk, but they called ATT and they handled it. They tried to activate it in store 3 times, all of which failed so I activated at home. Picked up the black 8 GB model.

gugy
Jul 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
UTC,

Now at 7pm still have around 200 people.
Crazy.

I can't believe some people wait as far as 7 hours to buy a phone. Out of this world.:eek:

MikeLord
Jul 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
UTC,

Now at 7pm still have around 200 people.
Crazy.

I can't believe some people wait as far as 7 hours to buy a phone. Out of this world.:eek:

That is crazy. Maybe tomorrow.

MikeLord
Jul 12, 2008, 01:32 AM
Who's gonna be in line first thing tomorrow? Where and when?

dckcentaur
Jul 12, 2008, 01:54 AM
8am was at at&t store in Mission valley 100 Plus people talk to girl said they did not have many phones and to be sure phone go to Apple store . My friend called and was at Fashion Valley. He was in line for 30 mins and let me in we made great progress in the first 2 hrs ( about 700 people at that time ) then it totally stopped and it took longer and longer . Sometimes we didn't move for 45 mins then after waiting 6 Hrs People were getting really upset and some left, Some were just frustrated and said "I can't believe I have been waiting this long for a dam phone". The mall restaurants gave us inline delivery and discounts for food and drink . I do have to say it was a lot of fun and made about 10 new friends and we have made stuck it out . Things really picked up again about hour 7 that were we all then saw the apple store around corner there was a new energy we then talked about what phone we wanted and why and that next year we will just wait a few days after they release the new one . it took about 8 1/2 hrs to get a phone .GLAD WE DIDN'T GIVE UP LIKE OTHERS. I Love the 3G IPHONE . Well worth the wait and and a story to tell . Hope all you got yours !!!!

jack612
Jul 12, 2008, 10:31 AM
Anyone at FV today? How does it look?

sd530
Jul 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
How's the line this morning at UTC?

stridle
Jul 12, 2008, 01:37 PM
How are things out there today? I drove by ATT downtown this morning at 930 and there where like 30 people already in line. I figure maybe tomorrow if I get to an apple store around 9 I might not have to wait too long. Any experiences to share from today?

teksurv
Jul 12, 2008, 01:49 PM
I ended up going to the AT&T store in Carmel Mountain at 0800 this morning, store opened at 1000. I was # 30 in line and received a black 16gb. The rep said they received 100 for today.

While I was in line FedEx dropped off 2 boxes which looked like the iPhone bulk boxes. Take that for what it's worth tomorrow if interested.

stridle
Jul 12, 2008, 02:26 PM
I ended up going to the AT&T store in Carmel Mountain at 0800 this morning, store opened at 1000. I was # 30 in line and received a black 16gb. The rep said they received 100 for today.

While I was in line FedEx dropped off 2 boxes which looked like the iPhone bulk boxes. Take that for what it's worth tomorrow if interested.

How long did it take you after the store opened?

teksurv
Jul 12, 2008, 02:34 PM
How long did it take you after the store opened?

I was done and out (New to AT&T) in just under an hour.

stridle
Jul 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
I am at the AT&T store downtown they have plenty of 8 gb they say and no more than ten people in line. I have been here for 10 min and I am next.

stridle
Jul 12, 2008, 03:54 PM
So I just got back from the downtown ATT store. It took about thirty minutes from the time I got in line. No problems with activation. Only down side for some is only 8GB. I didn't mind this as I have an Ipod and Nano as well, I want it more for the rest of its features. Hope this helps!

bigtar
Jul 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
any updates on lines and stock at Fashoin Valley?

powerbook911
Jul 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
Visiting SD Today, any update on the lines or fastest or whatnot, since I'm unfamiliar with them? Thanks

jack612
Jul 13, 2008, 01:37 PM
I got to the Apple Store at Fashion Valley today at about 9:40 thinking they would be opening at 11, but they were already open. There were probably 30 people in front of me and I was out of there with my iPhone in about an hour, so it wasn't too bad. The line was LOT longer when I left though with more people showing up all the time.

evwheeze
Jul 13, 2008, 06:58 PM
I got to the Apple Store at Fashion Valley today at about 9:40 thinking they would be opening at 11, but they were already open. There were probably 30 people in front of me and I was out of there with my iPhone in about an hour, so it wasn't too bad. The line was LOT longer when I left though with more people showing up all the time.

Jack - what color/size did you purchase? Were they well stocked?

I got screwed @ the ATT store up in Clairemont Friday am, so decided to sit out this weekends craziness. I'd planned on popping over on my lunch break tomorrow, but from the sound of things, I should have just made the Fashion Valley trek this morning...boo.

jack612
Jul 13, 2008, 09:27 PM
Jack - what color/size did you purchase? Were they well stocked?

I got screwed @ the ATT store up in Clairemont Friday am, so decided to sit out this weekends craziness. I'd planned on popping over on my lunch break tomorrow, but from the sound of things, I should have just made the Fashion Valley trek this morning...boo.

I got a black 16gb but it looked like they had plenty of everything there this morning.

gugy
Jul 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
How's the line at UTC now?

pwrqwest
Jul 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
Line Status and inventory would be great.

djrobsd
Jul 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
I went shopping at the Eastlake Mall in Chula Vista for the first time on Sunday, and that mall is a total ghost town! I guess it's in a bad location, out in the middle of nowhere, like 3 miles off the 805 freeway, so most people don't know it's there or won't drive that far.

It's a nice mall, and has an Apple store. On Sunday at 3pm there were only about 30 people in line out front! So, this might be a better bet for those who have still not been able to get a phone.

kk6yb
Jul 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
Line Status and inventory would be great.

According to Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/retail/utc/) last night the UTC store had all 3 types of phones. I made an appointment with a personal shopping salesperson for 11:00am this morning to buy one. Got an email confirmation.

So at 11am I walked in and found my personal shopping salesperson and he said I can't buy an iPhone by appointment, have to wait in line. WTF, I didn't see a line. He showed me the line around the corner by Starbucks and said it would be about a 5 hour wait. I came in from the other direction and hadn't seen the line. :mad: Wasted drive, I'm not waiting in line 5 freaking hours.

kk6yb
Jul 15, 2008, 06:42 PM
I went shopping at the Eastlake Mall in Chula Vista for the first time on Sunday, and that mall is a total ghost town!
... this might be a better bet for those who have still not been able to get a phone.

I just called them and they have no iPhones. They said check their website (http://www.apple.com/retail/otayranch/) after 9pm to find out if they'll have any tomorrow.

pwrqwest
Jul 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
According to Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/retail/utc/) last night the UTC store had all 3 types of phones. I made an appointment with a personal shopping salesperson for 11:00am this morning to buy one. Got an email confirmation.

So at 11am I walked in and found my personal shopping salesperson and he said I can't buy an iPhone by appointment, have to wait in line. WTF, I didn't see a line. He showed me the line around the corner by Starbucks and said it would be about a 5 hour wait. I came in from the other direction and hadn't seen the line. :mad: Wasted drive, I'm not waiting in line 5 freaking hours.

That is perfect. Thank you so much for that information. That is what this forums should be. Reports on line and inventory status. There a large number of use who are either too lazy or too busy to stand. I would like to say I am the later but it's the former. Can I get an Amen??

ucsdmac
Jul 15, 2008, 09:14 PM
That is perfect. Thank you so much for that information. That is what this forums should be. Reports on line and inventory status. There a large number of use who are either too lazy or too busy to stand. I would like to say I am the later but it's the former. Can I get an Amen??

Amen.

Did anyone ask the Apple store at UTC about their stock status for the next few weeks? I really want to buy one but i want to wait till things die out. How long do you guys think it'll be before you can just walk in and out with a phone?

mrrish
Jul 16, 2008, 12:18 AM
ucsdmac, as an ex-employee I can assure you that employees and managers never know when to expect shipments for regular items (the 3G has launched, now its a regular item). Asking them will get you nowhere. What i can tell you is that from experience they receive shipments for hot items almost every single day. BE there every morning; there are always returns for unopened iPhones, and some are even lingering in the cupboards!

gugy
Jul 16, 2008, 12:19 AM
My friend went to UTC and the stock there for 16gig is only white and running low. The same for FV, thats where I purchase it this morning.

if you need one, I would recommend go there ASAP.
It seems will take few days for the inventory to go back to normal.

Low
Jul 17, 2008, 12:40 AM
if anyone goes to utc tomorrow, can you give us an update on phones, lines, wait times, etc? thanks

edtorious
Jul 17, 2008, 01:25 AM
hope this helps...

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html

Low
Jul 17, 2008, 01:38 AM
^ um thanks for nothing i guess...doesnt really give us the detail i was requesting but whatever...

anywho...

cambridge1807
Jul 17, 2008, 03:35 AM
hope this helps...

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html

Since the apple availability site is only available after 9pm, could you in theory get the current stock anytime by changing the clock on your computer to after 9pm? I've done it a couple times during the day, and the indicator was green during the afternoon while it was red before the store opened. Just throwing the idea out there, but correct me if I'm wrong.

evwheeze
Jul 17, 2008, 03:39 AM
Hi everyone,

My unsolicited advice: get to the Apple store around 7:45 am. I know FV is currently listing an absence of 16GB black, but UTC might be the place to be Thursday am....early.

Though they post 10 as the opening time, employees are inside before 8am setting up etc. On Tuesday, old folks were rolling into the FV store for "one to one" personal training around 8. At this point there was just me + one other dude valiantly camping out. Around 8:05, a store manager stuck his head out the door and asked if we were there for the phone...seemed pretty obvious, but he then invited "other dude" inside. By 8:15 a second mgr. came to the door and made my morning: I got the last 16GB black.

By the time I rolled out of the store around 8:35, there were already 15-20 people in line. Surely more than one of them was hoping that the little green dot from the night before meant the store had more than 1 16GB black...not this day.

My two cents & good luck,

E

DimSum
Jul 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
if anyone goes to utc tomorrow, can you give us an update on phones, lines, wait times, etc? thanksAt 12:30-ish today, the line was about to the jewelry store (about 15 people until the zig-zag roped off area). Probably a 60-90 min wait I would guess. That's, by the way, the shortest I've seen it in a few days.

djrobsd
Jul 17, 2008, 03:38 PM
As of 12:30 today at UTC, there are about 50 people in line in the roped zig zag area... Looks like the lines still haven't died.

djrobsd
Jul 17, 2008, 03:40 PM
Since the apple availability site is only available after 9pm, could you in theory get the current stock anytime by changing the clock on your computer to after 9pm? I've done it a couple times during the day, and the indicator was green during the afternoon while it was red before the store opened. Just throwing the idea out there, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Umm yeah that's the silliest idea I've ever heard. The time comes from their SERVER, not your PC. That's like saying I could advance my clock to 11:00am and buy Madonna tickets on Ticketmaster before anyone else did.

It's all controlled by the servers, and they release the info when they feel like pressing the magic button, it might not even be exactly 9pm. ;)

WildCowboy
Jul 17, 2008, 05:14 PM
Umm yeah that's the silliest idea I've ever heard.

And yet, it's absolutely correct...I've been doing this for days. It uses your computer's time to determine whether or not you can view the availability. And once you've changed your time so that it will display stock statuses, it does update periodically throughout the day. Go ahead, try it.

Looking at some of the California stores over the past 45 minutes, Chula Vista and Corte Madera have gotten stock of the white model and Costa Mesa has gotten stock of the 16 GB black model, while Northridge has gone from having all three available to being completely sold out and Stanford has sold out of the white model.

In Virginia, Richmond has sold out of the 8 GB model, while in Arizona, Tucson has sold out of the 16 GB black model.

Sphere777
Jul 17, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yep, it works. The chart changes constantly throughout the day.

Low
Jul 17, 2008, 07:23 PM
bummer...oh well, 2G iphone is still rockin'. thanks for the info though! :)

At 12:30-ish today, the line was about to the jewelry store (about 15 people until the zig-zag roped off area). Probably a 60-90 min wait I would guess. That's, by the way, the shortest I've seen it in a few days.

ucsdmac
Jul 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
bummer...oh well, 2G iphone is still rockin'. thanks for the info though! :)

I'm planning to head over to UTC tomorrow and get a 16gb white. Can you guys suggest what time I should be there?

DimSum
Jul 17, 2008, 11:21 PM
if anyone goes to utc tomorrow, can you give us an update on phones, lines, wait times, etc? thanks

I'm planning to head over to UTC tomorrow and get a 16gb white. Can you guys suggest what time I should be there?I'm not sure there's any peak or off-peak at UTC. As a benchmark, my wife went there around 1:00 on either Monday or Tuesday (I forget which, but I know it was a weekday), and spent about 60 min in line and 60 min in the store (T-Mobile porting problems).

Heh! If you had a store near the Apple store at UTC, and you put up a webcam, I'll bet you could make a ton of money off of ad revenue... :)

Low
Jul 18, 2008, 12:28 AM
traffic at the store might pick up on friday too..hmm..

ucsdmac
Jul 18, 2008, 01:10 AM
traffic at the store might pick up on friday too..hmm..

according to this site theres no more white anywhere in san diego.. guess its meant to be black for me.

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html?state=CA

kk6yb
Jul 18, 2008, 09:43 AM
I got in line at 7:30am today, word from employees inside is they have no iphones but are xpecting a shipment today. There's about 30+ people in line now.
Gary

Low
Jul 18, 2008, 10:48 AM
^ kk6.

im presuming you were at the utc store?

kk6yb
Jul 18, 2008, 11:14 AM
I got in line at 7:30am today, word from employees inside is they have no iphones but are xpecting a shipment today. There's about 30+ people in line now.
Gary
I'm number 27 in line and I count a total of 84 people in line now. No delivery yet so everyone is just waiting.
Yes, I'm at the UTC store.
Gary

sd530
Jul 18, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm number 27 in line and I count a total of 84 people in line now. No delivery yet so everyone is just waiting.
Yes, I'm at the UTC store.
Gary

Great to have someone posting updates from UTC. Please let us know when they get a delivery.

kk6yb
Jul 18, 2008, 01:51 PM
Great to have someone posting updates from UTC. Please let us know when they get a delivery.

They came out about 9:30am and said they were going to start prequalifiing people so activation would be quicker later, and told us deliveries usually happen between 11am and 12. It would probably be at 1pm by the time I got one, I couldn't stay that long so I bailed.

I went to ATT and ordered one, they'll call me when it arrives in 10 days to two weeks. What a wacked process.

sd530
Jul 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
They came out about 9:30am and said they were going to start prequalifiing people so activation would be quicker later, and told us deliveries usually happen between 11am and 12. It would probably be at 1pm by the time I got one, I couldn't stay that long so I bailed.

I went to ATT and ordered one, they'll call me when it arrives in 10 days to two weeks. What a wacked process.

I was at UTC around noon, and they had already passed out vouchers for all of the phones they received today. There were still ~20 people in line with vouchers waiting to purchase a phone.

ucsdmac
Jul 18, 2008, 03:35 PM

I just got back from UTC today and as kk6b said, they did not have shipment in at 9am, but around 11 there were 50 16gb black ones came in. So they passed out cards for the first 50 people and everyone else had to went home. I waited a total of 5 hours and finally got one.

my advice: do not trust the stock website because as of this morning it says they have both the 8gb and 16gb black, but that was not true at all. It's sort of a gambling process but if you want to make sure then come really early. They open at 10am and I came at 7:30am and I was still the 15th person in line.

Low
Jul 18, 2008, 06:10 PM
thanks for the update guys, appreciate it.

maokh
Jul 19, 2008, 01:15 PM
I went to fashion valley this morning at 10am ... thinking .. gee .. since the apple store opens at 10am, if i am there at opening, i will probably get an iphone (fashion valley was showing several types in stock last night).

However, i soon learned that not only did they sell out before opening, but they started accommodating customers at 4:30am when a line formed. :eek:

The guy mentioned that fashion valley does not receive shipments on saturday or sunday, so best check back on monday. No idea to the validity of that statement.

kk6yb
Jul 30, 2008, 05:19 PM

Just a follow up. I received an email today (12 days since I ordered) from ATT letting me know that my phone was shipped and that I will get another email when it arrives at the local store. I checked the tracking number and its on an overnight Fedex from Fort Worth, so the store should have it tomorrow.

As much as I dreaded dealing with ATT, I have to say I like their ordering system a lot better than the Apple Store's. Hopefully I'll have my phone in a day or two.

Why couldn't the Apple Store have online ordering with in store pickup? It's been done before by many other retailers.

JasontheGreat
Jan 14, 2009, 04:58 PM
Just a follow up. I received an email today (12 days since I ordered) from ATT letting me know that my phone was shipped and that I will get another email when it arrives at the local store. I checked the tracking number and its on an overnight Fedex from Fort Worth, so the store should have it tomorrow.

As much as I dreaded dealing with ATT, I have to say I like their ordering system a lot better than the Apple Store's. Hopefully I'll have my phone in a day or two.

Why couldn't the Apple Store have online ordering with in store pickup? It's been done before by many other retailers.

Why is it such a long wait? I walked in and got that day..