PDA

View Full Version : San Jose, Valley Fair Mall

stagi
Jun 15, 2008, 02:17 AM
I waited here last year starting at about 8:00 am and will be there again this year :)

pranavss11
Jun 15, 2008, 02:21 AM
I waited here last year starting at about 8:00 am and will be there again this year :)

I am so gonna be there!

darkflounder
Jun 15, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm there. Shame there isn't an Apple Store at the Apple campus in Cupertino. How cool would that be?

salimdao
Jun 15, 2008, 11:42 AM
i might be there.

i work at valley fair.

slimpunk
Jun 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
So if it really launches at 6pm, that means the store will have 3 1/2 hours to deal with the first swarm of iPhone buyers? Seems kinda silly, I hope they're able to stay open later.

salimdao
Jun 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
i think they stayed open till midnight. can stagi or someone who was there last year confirm a closing time?

i would have been there last year, but i went to an AT&T store instead.

D3lta
Jun 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
I might come to the Apple store in Valley Fair. I live closer to the one in Los Gatos, but I'll se..

macbookfan
Jun 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'm there. Shame there isn't an Apple Store at the Apple campus in Cupertino. How cool would that be?

there is

http://www.apple.com/companystore/

stagi
Jun 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
last year they were open late, I think until 12. I got there at 8:00 am (just to check the line and wasn't planning on staying, but there was already about 200 people in line and nobody knew how many they had in stock so I hung out)
I think it took about 1 hour to get to the front of the line. They had about 500 in stock so did sell out that night.

I might try the los gatos store this year which might not have as much of a line, but am not sure yet. Woz was at Valley Fair last year cruising around on his segway with his crew, it was pretty funny.

paenguin
Jun 19, 2008, 01:57 PM
there is

http://www.apple.com/companystore/

yeah been there more than a couple of times.. maybe i should ask this week if they would sell the iPhone on 7/11 but then again they close at 5:30pm weekdays. :(

nhw
Jun 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
we can also wait at the att store next to womens' macy's right?

63dot
Jun 19, 2008, 08:14 PM

i have been to the downsized tourist apple store at the apple hq in cupertino, but there's not much there

there is/was a much better apple dealer right across the street from infinite loop right off the highway

tmbrwlf
Jun 20, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'll be in Los Gatos all day!! I am going to hang around the Apple store and twitter what is going on. Should be fun!!

Westsider 4 Mac
Jun 20, 2008, 11:50 AM

very cool.:apple:

luigi408
Jun 22, 2008, 03:18 AM
I want to get the phone the first day, what time do you guys recommend for me to be there to get one for sure? Should I got to a ATT or to a Apple store better?

mwazowski
Jun 25, 2008, 06:19 AM
god bless that ebar for food/coffee so nearby. btw guys, if an apple employee walks by the line should they wave or greet you guys or would you be mad if they pass by quietly?

slimpunk
Jun 25, 2008, 10:25 AM
Anyone considering going to Oakridge mall? It's a much smaller store, so I'm assuming they'll have a lower stock. But if it won't be as busy as Valley Fair, I might go there instead.

enjoiles
Jun 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
Anyone know how the lines will be arranged? How were they last year? Where did they start, etc.

TechnoPagan
Jun 30, 2008, 09:32 PM
Anyone considering going to Oakridge mall? It's a much smaller store, so I'm assuming they'll have a lower stock. But if it won't be as busy as Valley Fair, I might go there instead. Since Oakridge is 2 miles from my house and generally less insane on any given day than Valley Faire, I'll probably end up at Oakridge IF I decide to ignore common sense and get an iPhone :)

Keta
Jul 10, 2008, 12:13 AM
Wait, so will the store actually be open at 8am or will it not open until 10am like the rest of the mall? :confused:

Has anyone called to find out?

paenguin
Jul 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
Wait, so will the store actually be open at 8am or will it not open until 10am like the rest of the mall? :confused:

Has anyone called to find out?
dropped by last night and they said they'll open at 8AM tomorrow.. see you guys!

firewood
Jul 10, 2008, 06:05 PM
How early do the Valley Fair mall doors open? Or will a line form out on the sidewalk?

caliwolv
Jul 11, 2008, 05:24 AM
How early do the Valley Fair mall doors open? Or will a line form out on the sidewalk?

Roughly 30 people at Valley Fair. The doors closest to the Apple Store in the mall are open and we're queued up along the side of the store at the moment.

If anyone is coming, feel free to bring me a coffee.

paenguin
Jul 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
how's the queue now?

Moose408
Jul 11, 2008, 11:48 AM
Since Oakridge is 2 miles from my house and generally less insane on any given day than Valley Faire, I'll probably end up at Oakridge IF I decide to ignore common sense and get an iPhone :)

Stopped by the Oakridge store at 9am and there were over 300 people in line!

datapolitical
Jul 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
Just called. Still inventory, long line.

paenguin
Jul 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
line is still growing.. passed by to check.. decided to have lunch instead..:D

malmgren
Jul 11, 2008, 03:52 PM
How are things now? Seems activation is working again. How's the line? How many deep?

ngmcs8203
Jul 11, 2008, 04:50 PM
Supplies seem to be drying up at AT&T stores. Is anyone still in line at Valley Fair?

D3lta
Jul 11, 2008, 04:56 PM
Supplies seem to be drying up at AT&T stores. Is anyone still in line at Valley Fair?

I just called the Apple Store in Valley Fair. She said "they have plenty of stock for all version (8GB, both 16GB) just for you!"

I'm gonna try and go there later tonight.

Forgot to ask if there's still a line, sorry. But when I called around 12:30, the guy said there's a big line.

Hope I helped.

dsm2gst
Jul 11, 2008, 04:58 PM
Still here at valley fair waiting 4 3 hours now. line is still crawling

ngmcs8203
Jul 11, 2008, 05:28 PM
No worries, my wife and I are going to hop in line after work today. I just wish we had brought some chairs. I guess I'll have to run over to Copeland's (or Sports Authority... whatever it's called) while she's in line to buy some chairs. Especially if it's going to be a few hours.

Is the line going outside or only wrapped around inside?

dsm2gst
Jul 11, 2008, 05:42 PM
Yes the line starts outside but the line is moving faster now. The employee just mentioned they have a lot in stock

D3lta
Jul 11, 2008, 05:48 PM
Yes the line starts outside but the line is moving faster now. The employee just mentioned they have a lot in stock

I'm amazed at how much stock they have. Thousands?

They opened at 8am, I called around 12:30 and they told me there's plenty, called at 2:30 and they still told me they have plenty. Both times I was told they have all versions. I'm def. gonna go there later tonight. They also told me that they close at 11, hopefully there won't be too many people there then.:D

re2st
Jul 11, 2008, 07:46 PM
Any update? I was at the Apple Oakridge Mall at around 5. The line was "around 3 hours long" (per Apple's crew estimation). But it was moving (not to mention less crowded), unlike the one at Valley Fair when I checked around noon..

D3lta
Jul 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
Any update? I was at the Apple Oakridge Mall at around 5. The line was "around 3 hours long" (per Apple's crew estimation). But it was moving (not to mention less crowded), unlike the one at Valley Fair when I checked around noon..

I just called Valley Fair and the girl said they still ahve all 3 SKU's and the line is about '3-4 hours'...

The stores been open for almost 12 hours now and the line is still 3-4 hours... crazy!:eek:

EDIT: I just called again to ask what time they close, she said 12. Earlier, I called and they said 11. Anyone wanna call and ask to double check?

# is: 551-2150.

EDIT 2: Los Gatos Apple store is sold out of iPhones.

re2st
Jul 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
I just called Valley Fair and the girl said they still ahve all 3 SKU's and the line is about '3-4 hours'...

The stores been open for almost 12 hours now and the line is still 3-4 hours... crazy!:eek:

I'm not surprised. I was waiting for an hour, and only 20 ppl at the most got out with one. And there were, literally, hundreds and hundreds of people waiting in line.

I wonder if it'd be even crazier tomorrow, considering it's a weekend..

D3lta
Jul 11, 2008, 11:53 PM
So what's the status over there? Still a line? A long line?

I tried calling but it says their closed, but I think it automatically closes down the phone line at 9pm.

Moose408
Jul 12, 2008, 01:12 AM
I went to Oakridge this AM at 9am and there were 300+ people in line so I decided to wait until later in the day. Ended up going to Valley Fair at noon. It took 4 hours to get into the store (and 30 minutes in the store). When I left the line was just as long as when I started at noon.

Really shocked that it didn't die down later in the day.

ngmcs8203
Jul 12, 2008, 02:15 AM
We ended up stopping by at around 5:45, saw that the line was only in the mall... well sort of. We went through the mall and saw that the line was short, asked an employee how we could get in and if this was the end of the line. Her response? "Right there's ok and yea I guess." So we hopped in to line. Waited about an hour and a half and were stopped as second in line before going into the store. Then the guy in front jokingly asked one of the Apple guys if there was a pregnancy line (my wife is 8 months pregnant). The guy then says, "You should have said something early, I'm sorry. Wait there." He came back about two minutes later and lead us into the store to a waiting assistant. By the time we got to the register we noticed there was another line inside. That line was about 45min from what we were told. We ended up making a 4hr wait (minus activation, accessories, etc.) into roughly a 2hr wait. $750 later and we're both very happy and would have done the entire wait if we had to... :)

paenguin
Jul 12, 2008, 02:30 AM
so who's selling their 1st Gen iPhone? :D

malmgren
Jul 12, 2008, 03:29 AM
Well missed out today as when I went there tonight around 10p, they had already closed off the line at about 100 people, but they claimed to still have plenty stock of the 3 phones.

So for tomorrow - VF opens at 10, along with Apple. What's the best strategy to get inside and get to Apple before the rest of the mob the other friendly customers? Best entrance? Which open first? Is it a mad dash to the Apple store when they open? Your experience here would be helpful.

malmgren
Jul 13, 2008, 12:49 AM
To answer my question, the best strategy is to show up a few hours before the mall actually says it's going to open. I got there at 9 and the mall was already open with about 150+ people in line. Well after waiting for 4 hours, I finally got mine. I don't think they'll run out of phones anytime soon.

grimreaper1377
Jul 13, 2008, 01:14 AM
Does anyone know what time it opens on Sunday? I assume its regular time - 11am.

ngmcs8203
Jul 13, 2008, 07:28 PM
From what I could deduce, the Apple store was opening at 8am and closing at midnight Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No matter what time the mall opens and closes.

ntrigue
Jul 13, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well...they still have all 3 models. The mall and the store say they open at 10AM. Do you think there will be a line at a particular entrance? What's the best approach?

re2st
Jul 13, 2008, 11:44 PM
Well...they still have all 3 models. The mall and the store say they open at 10AM. Do you think there will be a line at a particular entrance? What's the best approach?

It's mentioned on here: http://www.apple.com/retail/valleyfair/map/

"Coming for an appointment before our store opens? Please park on the second floor of the Nordstrom garage located on the Winchester side of the mall. A ramp crosses from the second floor of the garage into the mall. Proceed down the stairs to your left."

That's exactly what I did Sunday at 7.30AM. And sure enough, around 50 people were already in line by then.

Good luck!

dailo
Jul 14, 2008, 02:42 PM
I thought the line would have died down by now, but nope still 2 hour wait. Guess I'm going to have to wait a little longer.

VideoShooter
Jul 14, 2008, 05:03 PM
Two hour wait at Palo Alto University Ave. store too.

jl85
Jul 14, 2008, 09:05 PM
I bought mine on Sunday. Total wait time was 3 hours. It took about 10-15 minutes for activation.

ntrigue
Jul 14, 2008, 10:53 PM
Two hour wait at Palo Alto University Ave. store too.

I arrived Monday morning at 7:50AM. Two people ahead of me... Apple employee came out to announce NO 16GB Black iPhones! Despite the availability site saying all three in stock. GRRR

It's mentioned on here: http://www.apple.com/retail/valleyfair/map/

That's exactly what I did Sunday at 7.30AM. And sure enough, around 50 people were already in line by then.

Good luck!

I called the Apple Store and Travis directed me to a 'Mail Door' to the left of the entrance. Arrived at 8:40AM behind 9 people and got my 16GB Black an hour after they opened at 9AM!

Psst. As I walked away 10:15AM they announced NO MORE 16GB Black!

dailo
Jul 15, 2008, 12:13 AM
Are they getting shipments everyday? I'm hoping there will be no more lines by the end of the week....

darkflounder
Jul 15, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm hoping to get over to Valley Fair late this morning after taking friends to the airport. Looks like the shortages always seem to be the black 16GB (which is good for me, since I want an 8GB).

ngmcs8203
Jul 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
I think they're getting shipments of certain items everyday. They restocked the ATT stores on Friday and Saturday, and they restocked the Apple stores with accessories this weekend as well. Accessories however were gone by lunch time yesterday (at least the skins and clear protectors).

ngmcs8203
Jul 15, 2008, 11:06 AM
Just talked to them and they haven't received a shipment since this weekend of accessories, so I'm not sure if that includes the iPhones themselves. I was told to call back after 12 to see if they got a shipment in.

EazyWeazy3
Jul 15, 2008, 09:42 PM
I arrived Monday morning at 7:50AM. Two people ahead of me... Apple employee came out to announce NO 16GB Black iPhones! Despite the availability site saying all three in stock. GRRR

I called the Apple Store and Travis directed me to a 'Mail Door' to the left of the entrance. Arrived at 8:40AM behind 9 people and got my 16GB Black an hour after they opened at 9AM!

Psst. As I walked away 10:15AM they announced NO MORE 16GB Black!

i believe this to be false information. I too was there yesterday, Monday, July 14, 2008.

I arrived at the Apple Store Valley fair at roughly 9:16 am. got inside the actual store around 1015-1030am. waited in the other hold out line til about 11am, walked out with my 16 gb BLACK iPhone at approx. 11:30 am.

As i was waiting in line outside by the escalator, a few guys from FedEx, maybe 2-3, had tons of boxes they were delivering that said Apple on them. What was in those boxes I have no clue, but they did say apple. I asked the employee who was activating my phone if they had a lot of phones left, he nodded his head yes.

rising j
Jul 21, 2008, 02:52 PM
Looks like I should have taken some time off in the morning and got my phone last week when they were still available . It's been 10 days after launch and I still don't have my phone. I stopped by the Apple store a number of times in the past week, latest attempt yesterday, and each time they were out of black 16gb's. Granted that everytime I went was either during the evenings or weekends...I'm wondering if I should just head over to an AT&T store and try to reserve a unit...

thesage007
Jul 21, 2008, 03:05 PM
Change your system time on PC/Mac to after 9 PM and you will be able to view the availability status. This updates during the day. so seems like "real time" with stores getting stocks through the day.

dailo
Jul 22, 2008, 04:38 PM
Called valley fair at lunch 5 hour wait... called Oakridge 5 minute wait. Went to Oakridge and got in and out in less then 15 minutes. They still had plenty of 16G black when I left.

monkeyhateclean
Jul 22, 2008, 10:17 PM
Called valley fair at lunch 5 hour wait... called Oakridge 5 minute wait. Went to Oakridge and got in and out in less then 15 minutes. They still had plenty of 16G black when I left.

I went to Oakridge at 4:30 pm, was 3rd in line and got in and out in about 30 minutes. The line was about 8 people deep when I left so it's probably better to get there before the after-work rush.

rising j
Jul 23, 2008, 02:26 AM
Change your system time on PC/Mac to after 9 PM and you will be able to view the availability status. This updates during the day. so seems like "real time" with stores getting stocks through the day.

WOW this is an awesome tip!!! Thanks a million 007. I did this trick and noticed stock at Valley Fair, but didn't get a chance to stop by. From the sounds of Dailo, it's probably a good thing that I didn't go. I really can't believe there is still a 5hr wait...ridiculous

a rabbit
Jul 26, 2008, 01:17 PM
I arrived at Valley Fair today (Saturday, 7/26) at 7:20am and there was a line of about 35 people. As I understand it this was the 2nd day that Apple stores were opening two hours earlier at 8am (please keep in mind Sunday they still open at 10am). Find the Nordstrom's parking lot, drive up to the second floor, park, walk across the right-hand bridge to the Mall (not to Nordstroms), enter glass doors into mall proper, go straight, Apple Store is to the left, down the stairs. The line got a little longer a few people every few minutes, until about 7:45am the deluge started and ended at about 8:15am with about 60 more people behind me.

At 8:15am an employee came out and announced some details (see http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/ for some of them) before letting the first 30 enter the store:

- No black 16GB phones today, sorry, try the in-stock web page tonight to check for Sunday. Fortunately this matched what the web page said the day before! (The site was showing all red blocks everywhere across the country from 1am last night--think they were messing with the server--but it was working again by 6:45am.)
- They were trying something new where they would hand out cards. You took a card for a black 8GB or a white 16GB (only one). You could stay in line, or you could "hope" that the line would be shorter later in the day and get back in line then (the mall opens at 10am? so don't expect the line to be short after that). The card was only good THE SAME DAY DAY ONLY and they would disallow you from entering the line at about 4:30 or 5:30. But at least, I believe, they would hold a phone for you FOR THAT DAY ONLY for THAT MODEL OF PHONE--if you line up in time.
- No issues if you are opening a new account, not transferring a number.
- If you want to transfer a number from a non-AT&T service and that number was on a family plan, the primary account holder (the "head" of the family plan) had to be there in person. No exceptions.
- If you had an existing single-user AT&T plan, you cannot convert it into an family plan and add a line. Sorry! You need to go to an AT&T store. However, if you are not an existing AT&T customer you can create a family plan (buy 2+ phones).
- Also for transfers, there was something about potentially having trouble if your existing phone number's billing zip code did not match your existing phone number's area code, or was that matching your old account's zip to your new account's zip code? They just wanted to let you know that the system may or may not barf on you on the transfer attempt. They should clarify this more.
- Corporate discounts on the iPhone hardware wouldn't apply at the Apple Store--it would be through the process your company told you about (usually through the AT&T store)
- As for me, I was just creating a new single-user AT&T account, and they said I can go through AT&T to add my wife into a family plan later in the year.

I got to the head of the line at 9am, and was out at 9:10am, declining setting up e-mail, etc.--just made sure the buttons and gestures worked. There were about 10-20 salespeople handling activations. When I left, there were about 20 in the store and 60 more outside.

I didn't realize my phone number was automatically assigned. You should check to make sure you can make a phone call before you leave.

What other advice to offer you guys? Check the in-stock web site the night before. If you can show up by 7:30am Monday-Friday, my guess is you'll be out by 9am if there are fewer than 30 people ahead of you. This is at Valley Fair--can't say how they do at other Apple stores. If you read some of the other posts, lunch hour is nasty (five hour wait?). You'd do a service to other forum members if you went to Oakridge, Los Gatos, or any of the stores up through SF and posted your experience and what you thought would be best.

Pick up your accessories while you're in line. Keep in mind iPhone cases usually don't fit iPhone 3G (the 3G is curved, the old one is more rectangular). If you ask me the ones in the online store look better (they're probably out of stock in the retail store). The online store will also tell you which cases fit the 3G. Do your research before you go. I'm buying all my accessories later when I figure out what I need.

Give the employees a break, too. They looked pretty tired for showing up at 7:15am and doing a full shift. They also don't get free iPhone 3G's, and they DON'T get a discount (MAYBE up to a 20% discount on the plan, and maybe 10% on accessories).

The iPhone itself? I got a white one (I've read links saying the more recent white Apple hardware doesn't turn yellow...). I watched YouTube. I used the Maps feature with GPS. It's outstanding. Too bad I don't think you can rotate in Maps view. The only thing I might ding is the battery life.

rising j
Jul 26, 2008, 05:28 PM
a rabbit, thanks for the long, and very detailed writeup. I have been chasing the ever elusive iphone for quite some time and have been unsuccessful at the Valley Fair store. I am there after work, late afternoon or early evening time, and they are out of stock on the black 16gb. At this point in time, I am considering ordering from an ATT store, and perhaps just cancel it if I can get it sooner from the Apple store. This is getting frustrating.

Moose408
Jul 26, 2008, 11:23 PM
a rabbit, thanks for the long, and very detailed writeup. I have been chasing the ever elusive iphone for quite some time and have been unsuccessful at the Valley Fair store. I am there after work, late afternoon or early evening time, and they are out of stock on the black 16gb. At this point in time, I am considering ordering from an ATT store, and perhaps just cancel it if I can get it sooner from the Apple store. This is getting frustrating.

Try Oakridge mall. No lines, I was in there tonight and they said they had plenty of stock of all 3 phones.

rising j
Jul 29, 2008, 11:51 PM
Try Oakridge mall. No lines, I was in there tonight and they said they had plenty of stock of all 3 phones.

THANKS a TON!!! I went in late afternoon today, and they had 16GB (black and white) and I walked out with a black 16gb for me and my sister. I saw a pretty big stack of claim cards left when I took off. If you are in the s. bay, I would highly recommend going to this store, the lady said that this was the first time there was no line and phones available. Once again, Thanks so much for the heads up Moose:D