Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianseto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I recently bought a TC and moved some TV shows I purchased from ATV on to the TC hard drive. I am able to stream it back to my Mac via Itunes and it plays on fine.

However, when I connect my Mac to ATV as a Shared Itunes Library it won't let me stream the TV shows over to the ATV. The TV shows show up on the ATV but when I click to play the show it says 'Your Apple TV is not authorized to play this content.'

Why is this?

Thanks.
Adrian

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Instead of sharing the iMac's itunes library with the ATV, try setting the ATV up to sync with that iMac's itunes. You don't actually have to sync anything -- just deselct syncing for all media when the ATV shows up as a device in iTunes. However, it will still "sync" the authorization from iTunes to the ATV and then you should be able to stream the content you want from from the TC to the ATV.

adrianseto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Instead of sharing the iMac's itunes library with the ATV, try setting the ATV up to sync with that iMac's itunes. You don't actually have to sync anything -- just deselct syncing for all media when the ATV shows up as a device in iTunes. However, it will still "sync" the authorization from iTunes to the ATV and then you should be able to stream the content you want from from the TC to the ATV.

Thanks spamdumpster! I thought about trying that.
However, I have also just bought some TV shows last night on ATV and when I 'sync' up the Mac and itunes (de-selected to not sync) it still moves everything over to itunes. Is this normal?

And does it mean that when you Share itunes Library it won't let you stream from TC to ATV as a copyright precaution?

Adrian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.