PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle Upon Tyne -UK

monkeydust
Jun 15, 2008, 04:31 AM
Taking the Day off work. its only half day on friday anyways:D

Kal El
Jun 15, 2008, 07:48 AM
Am thinking of doing the same but waiting to find out what the launch details are (time of release)

monkeydust
Jun 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
yer. it its 12pm on the thursday night i might not take the friday off but i duno it depends.
what store you going to?

Kal El
Jun 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
Not sure. Might do the Metro Centre. You?

monkeydust
Jun 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
not sure yet, either the one near heymarket or the one at monument. might have a wander up into eldon square but it depends what time its going to be released atleast in eldon theres o2 and carphone warehouses

downinthree
Jun 15, 2008, 05:38 PM
man i've been waiting for this for ages... i was out of the country when the first one was launched, and been biding my time for the new version...

i work in town so will probably just trek around the o2 stores on my luchbreak til i find one which hasn't sold out of the 16BG black ones! couple of questions tho...

1. any idea if you'll be able to preorder or reserve one?

2. how easy is it to go from o2 pay-as-you-go to an o2 iphone contract?

roll on july 11th =)

monkeydust
Jun 16, 2008, 09:43 AM
man i've been waiting for this for ages... i was out of the country when the first one was launched, and been biding my time for the new version...

i work in town so will probably just trek around the o2 stores on my luchbreak til i find one which hasn't sold out of the 16BG black ones! couple of questions tho...

1. any idea if you'll be able to preorder or reserve one?

2. how easy is it to go from o2 pay-as-you-go to an o2 iphone contract?

roll on july 11th =)

1. not sure, dont think you could the last time so i doubt you can this time.

2. easy if you want to keep your number that takes a few days but you get the phone with a temporty number until then tho.
ill be keeping my number when i go from o2 pay and go to the contract.

monkeydust
Jun 24, 2008, 05:14 PM
went into the o2 shop today and spoke to a manager there, he said that its a 7am release for the iphone. on july 11th no word on pay as you go price as of yet and no way to reserve them but apparentley they are going to have plenty in stock so "just pop along at anytime of the day and youll be able to get one"

martg
Jul 2, 2008, 05:06 PM
I must admit i am quite excited for this! Have always shied away from the iPhone as its with o2 and i never really wanted to leave orange but needs must i guess! I got burgled on holiday and they got my ipod and phone so figured why replace both with two items when one (recently announced) would do! I do hope its as good as everyone says - i have always used a mac and never wanted a pc so could never see how much better they are reputed to be, but re mobile phones; i have been a nokia fan for silly ages! Think it will have to be the metro-centre for me, i know it opens early for the next sale so hope it does for this!

monkeydust
Jul 2, 2008, 05:29 PM
o2 stores will open at 7am. iphones are limited to one per customer on a first come first serve basis.

email form o2 said "We will be writing to you again before the 11th with details about how you could place your order."

so i hope that means reserve one.

im getting a 16gb black on the 45 tarrif.

Kal El
Jul 7, 2008, 06:34 AM
which is the bigger store in Newcastle and therefore more likely to have the most stock?

tomjleeds
Jul 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
which is the bigger store in Newcastle and therefore more likely to have the most stock?

I'd say Northumberland Street. But then I haven't seen the Metro Centre one, that could be bigger?

RobS101
Jul 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
2 in metro centre, one very big. but not open till 10am. Eldon 9am, Northumberland said 7:02, bt the other 2 places said northumberland was opening at 08:02. guy in northumberland street branch said this was a printing error and was opening at 7:02.

im thinking haymarket and over to blackett street for 7am, theres 2 of us so 1 at each store maybe, dunno :)

monkeydust
Jul 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
think ill be going for the one at monument. and then if they dont have the 16gb black it will be a mad dash up to eldon square but im not sure. yet.

going for about 6am to try and beat the que.

cant wait.

AndyboyH
Jul 10, 2008, 06:06 AM
Hi all, new here despite being a mac user for many years.

Well, looks like Northumberland street were giving the wrong info:
http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphonelaunchstoreopeningtimes

Everywhere seems to be going with 8:02am.

I'll probably see some of you in line :)

monkeydust
Jul 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
no store in newcastle knows how many they are going to get. ive asked every store this afternoon and not a clue. somebody must know.

going to check stores in my way in. if you want to beat the que PM me your mobile number and ill let you know stores with ques and any more info i get.

hope to see some of you in line :D

martg
Jul 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
Is anyone there now? I was thinking of heading in for about six?

monkeydust
Jul 10, 2008, 04:43 PM
not as as far as i know. i was thinking of doing the same not sure which store yet tho.

where abouts do you live? if ya dont mind me asking

martg
Jul 10, 2008, 04:51 PM
Chester-le-Street! Hence the wondering about getting up early or just heading through now! if all these rumours about poor stock of 16gb are true i would be really gutted to miss one for the sake of a few hours sleep....hmmm... what time do you think you will head through? again, if you don't mind me asking!

martg
Jul 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
oh, and i was thinking of the monument store! apparently the one in eldon square is the flagship o2 store of newcastle and will receive the largest amount of stock but not sure how true that is! when i did a 'practice run' on wed everyone had a different story to tell...

monkeydust
Jul 10, 2008, 05:06 PM
i was thinking about the one at monument aswell becuase its the closest off the metro. shud get there about 6:10am. o2 store in eldon doesnt open until 9am. but the one on blacket street and northumberland open at 8.

what time you heading in for?

PM me your msn of ichat screen and we can chat on there.

martg
Jul 10, 2008, 05:35 PM
Right, have settled on the monument for six! So need sleep as am not good on only a few hours! Hope to see you there!

monkeydust
Jul 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
okay then mate. cya there.

Kal El
Jul 10, 2008, 11:53 PM
12 people outside the O2 store in team valley

Kal El
Jul 11, 2008, 12:25 AM
now up to 13

Kal El
Jul 11, 2008, 12:42 AM

Kal El
Jul 11, 2008, 12:55 AM
now 23 at team valley and the staff have just arrived

martg
Jul 11, 2008, 03:38 AM
That went pretty well! at least for the front eight! V happy although address book has broken and wont sync. never mind that. shame about the server! hope they manage to put them through tonight/tomorrow! Nice meeting you all!

Zone-MR
Jul 11, 2008, 08:21 AM
Got mine from the store in Blyth. As it's practically in the middle of nowhere, there was no queue whatsoever.

Could have driven there and back 5 times in the time it would have taken to sit in the queue in the city centre ;)

AndyboyH
Jul 12, 2008, 12:50 AM
got mine yesterday :) mine was the second last 16gb in the Northumberland st. store...

For anyone that got theirs on a new contract rather than an upgrade - have you actually got access to the network yet? Mines's still showing no service :(

I don't think the store handled things badly given their server problems but nearly 24 hours on and the iphone is essentially an iPod touch with gps until they sort things out :(

monkeydust
Jul 14, 2008, 12:41 PM
was 4th in line at blackett street on friday got my 16gb activated on saturday at about 3pm or so.

i managed to walk out of the store on friday WITHOUT signing a contract James forgot about that bit, so did i with all the excitement tho.

monkeydust
Jul 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
just rang customer service and the iphone team's phone network has crashed.

your looking at about 72 hours for a o2 to o2 number port.

martg
Jul 14, 2008, 05:52 PM
Was that the guy at the back (to the right)? I almost ended up on three contracts as my insurance was put through on the 75, my pac code was put through on the 45 and my contract was for the 35. Got it all sorted though. i think the store did pretty well really. Got a call early on sat to finalise things and it started working. Then got a text yesterday giving me a date and time for porting my number. It has taken about as much time as they said really.

RobS101
Jul 15, 2008, 02:27 AM
gems number porter onto contract from payg over the night, mine worked out the store but tariffs ported last. Night :) how you all finding it?

monkeydust
Jul 18, 2008, 08:53 AM
yea it was the guy at the back right, James.
i had a couple of phone calls from the nice women who got our names and stuff.