PDA

View Full Version : Fido Flagship store Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Nitrox
Jun 15, 2008, 07:30 AM
Hello everyone! I'm arranging a meetup at the flagship Fido strore in Montréal. The store is located on 1004 Ste-Catherine St W, on the corner of Peel St.

See you there on the 11th!

Here is a fecebook event that I created for the launch meetup:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=16311989629

iYann
Jul 2, 2008, 05:36 PM
Was thinking of going to the AppleStore, but I might just change plans and actually join the line...
Just called Rogers to see if I was eligible for an upgrade but I'm not. Will be in 6 weeks only... but I can't wait that long!

I may cancel my contract and pay their outrageous fees and happily switch to Fido; if so I'll be in line downtown too at the flagship store early in the morning ;-)

iYann
Jul 8, 2008, 10:05 AM
That's it, Apple decided not to sell the iPhone in its store. Only show demo units in response to Rogers fiasco...

Quote frome AppleInsider this morning: "Apple, disgusted with Rogers Wireless for dumping egregious service plans on would-be iPhone 3G buyers, has decided that its Canadian retail stores will have no part in helping the carrier market the new handset to customers"

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_iphones.html

For me, will go the the Fido store and finally switch from Rogers to Fido... same company, but:
- billing by the second
- nights and week-ends starting earlier
etc.

rogynskyy
Jul 9, 2008, 07:42 AM
I will join you guys at 8am. Hopefully there will be any iphones in that store.

Chef Medeski
Jul 9, 2008, 07:52 AM
I think I shall be there. Still think, not very sure. But if I want an iPhone in the next month it seems like I'm going to have to get one there on Friday. Anyone contemplating times? I might show up at 2 and just wait in a chair. I live right downtown though so that bed will be beckoning. What time does the store normally open at?

Fido says 10AM typically.

iYann
Jul 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
What time does the store normally open at?

From this morning's press release 8:00 am.
Also note limited time promotion for new iPhone data plan (6Gb@30$)

Press release at http://www.fido.ca/web/content/media/news_releases

Chef Medeski
Jul 9, 2008, 01:20 PM
From this morning's press release 8:00 am.
Also note limited time promotion for new iPhone data plan (6Gb@30$)

Press release at http://www.fido.ca/web/content/media/news_releases

Yeah oh boy. Downtown is going to be a party! We're the only city to get 2 stores to sell the phone and they are right across from each other!! Nice. :D

I can just see it now everyone coming out with the new iPhones going nuts.

So what time do people suggest camping out? I think they will have atleast about 100 in the store, so thats the first 50 people. I doubt more will show up earlier than 6 or 7. Planned time possibly for MR members? I'll float the idea of meeting up in front at 6.

Oh and dont forget, free breakfast and prizes!!

Nitrox
Jul 9, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking to be there at 6 am. I see that some of you are planing to be there at that time. I'm happy to see that I will not be the only one in line. When I created this thread it took a long time to have a post from someone! Thanks guys!

iYann
Jul 9, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hey,

I kindda spent the last 3 hours on the phone with either Fido or Rogers to clarify many things... The new word from both is that the flagship stores will open at 8 but the iPhones will be sold starting at 9:00. I was told that like an hour ago...

I'll try to join early too, probably before 7:00 am.

Not sure it will be such a small line-up... We'll see.

iYann
Jul 9, 2008, 05:50 PM
Did you guys decide on a plan ? Going with the iPhone plans or custom plans ?

Chef Medeski
Jul 9, 2008, 10:33 PM
Did you guys decide on a plan ? Going with the iPhone plans or custom plans ?
Like I've mentioned previously, I'm not sure at the moment. I think I am going to go down to Fido in the morning and work everything out to be sure for Launch Day, I still have 6 Big Questions:

Does the 6GB for $30 come with Visual Voicemail?
Does the iPhone come with Visual Voicemail for free?
Does this plan come with unlimited Hotspots?
Does the iPhone come with unlimited Hotspots for free?
Can Fido City Plans be used with it?
Can we use the $15/$20 iPhone Value Packs (which have a lot more texts than the normal $15 pack) with this data plan and our own voice plan?

6 Big Questions that will decide if I go with unlimited or 750MB Cap. I really doubt I am going to use more than 750MB, I just prefer the other plans better like $30 for 200 minutes/ Unlimited Fido to Fido/Rogers. I mean that plan is equivalent in terms of voice usages to the $75 iPhone plan to me. And if I pay $30+30 for data, thats only $60 compared to $75. Of course $5 extra to get the equal amount of texts, so $65 to $75, but if I am charged for Visual Voicemail, the difference become almost none except I get much higher data. And if I don't get unlimited Hotspots, which I planned to use with my laptop, then suddenly the iPhone Bundle starts to look a lot better, let alone if I can't use the "iPhone" value packs without that bundle. If I can, then I can forget $5 for texts. But as you can see, while adding much needed flexbility, the number crunching reveals very close prices, depending on these little charges to really prove which is better. Thus unless you find you really need a basically unlimited data plan or can save a lot from a unique voice plan, the bundle might still be the best.

Hey,

I kindda spent the last 3 hours on the phone with either Fido or Rogers to clarify many things... The new word from both is that the flagship stores will open at 8 but the iPhones will be sold starting at 9:00. I was told that like an hour ago...

I'll try to join early too, probably before 7:00 am.

Not sure it will be such a small line-up... We'll see.

I know why, time to party over breakfast and gifts. Knowing Rogers, the gifts are probably going be like one month free Value Pack! Yipee! lol.

Atleast make it something good like one in ten get a free iPhone! :P

iYann
Jul 9, 2008, 11:31 PM
Chef,

Fido says Visual VoiceMail is only in iPhone plans. They were sure about it, but maybe they don't know everything and it could change by Friday. If not the 6 Go data would not include Visual VM
There is a list of Hotspots on the Fido website if you go to support and FAQ

Chef Medeski
Jul 10, 2008, 07:44 AM
Chef,

Fido says Visual VoiceMail is only in iPhone plans. They were sure about it, but maybe they don't know everything and it could change by Friday. If not the 6 Go data would not include Visual VM
There is a list of Hotspots on the Fido website if you go to support and FAQ
LOL... it seems like Fido has no hotspots in Quebec! :p

And all of Rogers are at Second Cups although I always though Second Cup had free access if I remember correctly....

Well if its just Second Cups I really dont care cause downtown there are a lot of free options. I was hoping for something at the airport or train station.

But wait a second.... Second Cup does have free wi-fi, I used it last week at Gare Centrale. Now I'm really confused.

But anyways, forget hotspots, $8 for Visual Voicemail. Now as for Value Packs, the $15 VP comes with the $7 enhanced voicemail, I wonder if I can just add a dollar to that and have it include Visual Voicemail. :p

So even still, it works out to about $7 less than the $75 plan without including value packs but you get unlimited data. I think thats fair. $7 less, practically unlimited data.

queshy
Jul 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
Is the Fido flagship store the only store in Montreal that will sell the phone? According to Fido's website it looks like lots of stores will carry them (Fairview, Carrefour, etc.)

Chef Medeski
Jul 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
Is the Fido flagship store the only store in Montreal that will sell the phone? According to Fido's website it looks like lots of stores will carry them (Fairview, Carrefour, etc.)
The flagship store is the only one that will be open early. All others will open like normal at 10 to sell it. Actually it'll be the only Fido store in the country to open early! Gotta love Montreal. :D

But also I went in this morning to get down pact what options with the phone I want and the lady was like we know nothing. Everything could change at the last minute, we've been told to tell you just come 2morrow. You are going to have an hour to debate about which plan to for before we start selling. Thats all I can say. I'm like wow..... OK..... so I guess I'm deciding 2morrow between the 6GB or $75 iPhone Value Bundle!..... see ya chaps out there. It should be a party. Hopefully people are smart and line up going East and Rogers people line up going West so that we'll form a little tunnel. :p

Montreal is the best, only place to get two stores to open early. Sha-bang! Party time!

Avicdar
Jul 10, 2008, 12:26 PM
The free hotspot access is completely irrelevant now that they've announced the 6gb plan. You won't ever feel the need to find a hotspot since you can use the 3g or edge access anywhere - and you'll never use 6gb unless you're permanently attached to a charger and watching youtube all day.

Chef Medeski
Jul 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
The free hotspot access is completely irrelevant now that they've announced the 6gb plan. You won't ever feel the need to find a hotspot since you can use the 3g or edge access anywhere - and you'll never use 6gb unless you're permanently attached to a charger and watching youtube all day.
For laptop, not iPhone. Sometimes you know one wants to work on a full 15-inch screen. :D

But yeah it becomes less important for sure. Especially since the list of hotspots show no places I'm interested in, its all just Second Cups....

queshy
Jul 10, 2008, 03:13 PM
The flagship store is the only one that will be open early. All others will open like normal at 10 to sell it. Actually it'll be the only Fido store in the country to open early! Gotta love Montreal. :D

But also I went in this morning to get down pact what options with the phone I want and the lady was like we know nothing. Everything could change at the last minute, we've been told to tell you just come 2morrow. You are going to have an hour to debate about which plan to for before we start selling. Thats all I can say. I'm like wow..... OK..... so I guess I'm deciding 2morrow between the 6GB or $75 iPhone Value Bundle!..... see ya chaps out there. It should be a party. Hopefully people are smart and line up going East and Rogers people line up going West so that we'll form a little tunnel. :p

Montreal is the best, only place to get two stores to open early. Sha-bang! Party time!

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm just going to go to my local mall - they have a fido kiosk and according to fido.ca they'll be selling. It's a tiny kiosque though, so I'm kinda worried abut stockage but not really since I don't think in Canada there is an incredible demand for this thing even WITH the new pricing.

I'm gonna go for this:

$20 = 200 minutes anytime
$11 = CID, voicemail, 125 SMS
$30 = 6 GB data
$6.95 = SAF
$0.50 = 911
______
$68.45 + tax = $78 tax in.

16 GB black iPhone will cost $349 from what I hear. Any other hidden fees I should know about? Is there an activation fee?

iYann
Jul 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm going with Fido:
incoming unlimited: $35
+value pack(caller ID, voice Mail, 125 SMS: $11
+30 min. long distance: $5
+6 Go: $30
+6,95
+0,50
=88,45
+tx=$99.84

PumaGuy
Jul 11, 2008, 02:03 AM
You guys are actually going through with this? Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you, cause your going to hell for the next 3 years.

I personally I'm going to wait it out until Rogers is on their knees.

Either way, good luck :rolleyes:

Puma

iYann
Jul 11, 2008, 07:09 PM
Man, was it a great launch !
Arrived at 6:45, I counted 120 people in front of me in the Fido line. I'd say approx 85 on the Rogers side.

I didn't see any of you...:apple:

Any feedback or this thread is dead ?