PDA

View Full Version : iPod Classic - Correct Mains Adapeter?

somecoolgeezer
Jun 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I have an iPod Classic 80GB

I need a mains adapter for going on holiday.

My brother has an official apple one for his Video iPod 30GB

Will it be OK to use this with the iPod Classic?

The Part number for the Mains Adapter is : MA592B/A

Also, can I use this in the states and just change the plug with a generic USA travel plug (I am based in the UK)?

Thanks
S.

bdj33ranch
Jun 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
You should be fine with your brother's power adapter and a USA travel plug adapter. I typed 'Apple MA592B/A' into Google and got several UK hits that indicate compatibility with various sellers.

somecoolgeezer
Jun 16, 2008, 12:36 AM
A lot of sits also say its only compatible with ipod upto 5g with video, no mention of the classic.

I don't want to plug it in and fry m ipod!

You should be fine with your brother's power adapter and a USA travel plug adapter. I typed 'Apple MA592B/A' into Google and got several UK hits that indicate compatibility with various sellers.

bdj33ranch
Jun 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
Apple Support tech specs for the iPod Classic indicate the optional USB Power Adapter to be:
Apple USB Power Adapter MB051LL/A
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP15

If you type that adapter info into Google it will get hits (see amazon.com) indicating it is compatible with different iPod models - including the Classic.
www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-Power-Adapter-MB051LL%252fA/dp/B0010SU0MO

If you type 'Apple MA592' into Google you get hits (see amazon) indicating it is compatible with numerous iPod models. It will show the MA592LL/A (US Version) It doesn't specifically mention the Classic but does mention iPod....., 5G, 5.5G, 6G. I believe the Classic is the 6G per wikipedia.
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000IK5XWW/interactiveda8721-20

I use an old 3rd Generation iPod Firewire power adapter with my 4G iPod Photo and 3G Nano 8Gb and have never been concerned about compatibility. I see a compatibility correlation with the MB051, MA592 and even my old Firewire adapter. I also note that other manufactures of power adapters like Griffin Technology, Sonnett Technology, InCase, PDO and others make a single product that is compatible with both iPod Video and Classic.

Of course it is your concern that needs to be put at ease so it's your decision in the end.

alphaod
Jun 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
A lot of sits also say its only compatible with ipod upto 5g with video, no mention of the classic.

I don't want to plug it in and fry m ipod!

I use mine; stop worrying; the power requirements haven't changed since Apple introduced the dock connector.