PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store - Century City, CA

modul8tr
Jun 15, 2008, 03:06 PM
Anyone going here?

Last year was great!

DodgerBlue
Jun 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
I have to first check and see what my situation is with porting my number over from Verizon. Has anyone dealt with this?

(I'm thinking about getting the white iPhone.)

modul8tr
Jun 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
I have to first check and see what my situation is with porting my number over from Verizon. Has anyone dealt with this?

(I'm thinking about getting the white iPhone.)

There should be no problem. You can port any number.

Last year I was able to port from Sprint ( :rolleyes: ) to AT&T using iTunes, without a problem.

aosman
Jun 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
There should be no problem. You can port any number.

Last year I was able to port from Sprint ( :rolleyes: ) to AT&T using iTunes, without a problem.

I helped a friend port their verizon number to AT&T through iTunes a couple of months ago: very simple and straight forward.

movieboy23
Jun 15, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'll be there. Any limit on the number of phones we can buy? I only want 2. Also, how early are people queueing up for it?

modul8tr
Jun 15, 2008, 08:05 PM
AT&T said there was a 3 phone limit now? I read it somewhere and don't remember. In any case, I'm sure you can buy at least two.

Last year I got there at 10 or 11 A.M. I got in no problem (within the first 100 people) and someone paid me $100 cash to buy them a phone, as the line was INCREDIBLY long by 6 p.m.

This year, myself (or a friend) will be there earlier. Sometime between 7-9 A.M. We'll switch off and hang out all together from around noon onward.

It'll be a blast!!! (yes I'm a nerd).

DodgerBlue
Jun 16, 2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the answers. Do I have to make any prior arrangements with Verizon before I port a number over? Sorry for these questions, but I'm very new to the process. The phone's about 21 months old and is part of a family plan, so I don't think I'd be breaking a contract by doing this..

Enrico
Jun 16, 2008, 05:40 AM
Going stay at UCLA for July....still wondering where to go to get one in LA!:cool:

distortedloop
Jun 16, 2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the answers. Do I have to make any prior arrangements with Verizon before I port a number over? Sorry for these questions, but I'm very new to the process. The phone's about 21 months old and is part of a family plan, so I don't think I'd be breaking a contract by doing this..

No. Don't do anything with Verizon prior to your purchase. AT&T will take care of it autmatically when you activate. Trying to be pro-active could cause you issues.

Switching (porting numbers) is pretty common, and it's painless and automatic when you buy your new phone.

Mattlike
Jun 16, 2008, 09:46 AM
I will most likely be hitting up the Glendale Galleria store.

MrPunk2u
Jun 16, 2008, 03:29 PM
Anyone going here?

Last year was great!

Last year WAS great cuz we sat in A/C all day lol

modul8tr
Jun 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that helped lol ;)

Hopefully we'll get the hookup this year as well.

lasteve
Jun 16, 2008, 05:03 PM
Im considering going to this apple store or the one at the Groove, does anybody now which one was worst last year?

modul8tr
Jun 16, 2008, 06:05 PM
Well, Century City had AC and you were allowed to leave and come back. They had a sign in etc.

The Grove from what I read (and when I called them) had a CRAZY line from about 9 A.M. onward. Out in the sun, wrapping throughout the complex.

I chose Century and was quite pleased.

The Grove however, had the most iPhones. I think that's the flagship store for the area. I was in the first hundred campers for Century City, but I believe everyone - in what became a very long line - got an iPhone.

Enrico
Jun 17, 2008, 08:04 AM
Well, Century City had AC and you were allowed to leave and come back. They had a sign in etc.

What do you mean? You took a sort of number and then came back shortly before the launch re-opening?

UCLAkers
Jun 17, 2008, 01:32 PM
No. Don't do anything with Verizon prior to your purchase. AT&T will take care of it autmatically when you activate. Trying to be pro-active could cause you issues.

Switching (porting numbers) is pretty common, and it's painless and automatic when you buy your new phone.

so AT&T let's you port your #, but would this apply if ur not as close to the end of your verizon contract? if you just buy the iphone and port the # at activation, would verizon just bill u for the prorated amount of the ETF? I'm about 17 months into my latest verizon contract and would most likely (if I can't talk my way out of it) have to pay the ETF anyway. sucks.

and it's either century city or the manhattan beach village store for me!

modul8tr
Jun 17, 2008, 02:15 PM
What do you mean? You took a sort of number and then came back shortly before the launch re-opening?

There was a security guard at a table with a sign in list. Next to your name was a number. That number was your place in line.

We were inside a giant room and were allowed to leave for about an hour at a time. Some of us left for longer than that and it wasn't a problem. Closer to launch time (4-4:30 or so), they started getting really strict about how long you could leave the room or if you could.

The set up this year may or may not be the same. I'd imagine it would be similar though.

MacGod24
Jul 1, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah i will be there early that day with some friends, reply please to my messgae if i will see you there:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

MacGod24
Jul 2, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hey,
I am trying to take a quick poll

Please answer the following as a reply to me,

1. Did you camp out for the original iphone at century city
2. What place in line
3. Will you be camping out at this years century city launch
4.What time do you plan on arriving
5.Black or white iPhone, 8 or 16 GB

MacGod24
Jul 3, 2008, 04:45 PM
Im considering going to this apple store or the one at the Groove, does anybody now which one was worst last year?

Century City was much better, they had everythigng it was really fun, i was 44th in line

movieboy23
Jul 9, 2008, 01:45 AM
I'm gonna be there @ 6 am. Who's with me?:D

janey
Jul 9, 2008, 05:58 AM
Ah, shoot. This time the launch is going to be in the morning instead of evening. Wonder what it's going to be like to show up at 4 in the morning or something. Can you even park there that early? I keep forgetting to call the store to ask...since it is a bit far to walk at like 3 in the morning from home :)

fwiw last year's line at the grove wasn't bad. i showed up a couple hours early and we were wrapping around the grove (not very far..just up/down the street and around banana republic), and it wasn't a very long wait to get an iPhone (although iirc I might have heard some rumors about the 4gb one selling out or something). The apple store folks were coming by with water/popsicles, the grove management handed out umbrellas for shade and some of the nearby businesses were pretty friendly - one was passing out ice cream samples :D

Anyway, yeah. I think I'll have to wait to make up my mind about when to come..mostly the parking situation.

Protip: like the grove, westfield gives you free parking for the day if you spend a minimum..seems like it's $250 (linky (http://westfield.com/centurycity/specialoffers/FreeValetandSelfParking.html)), so even more of a reason to buy the 16gb iPhone and to spring for valet parking :D

MacGod24
Jul 9, 2008, 09:30 AM
I will be there 4AM the latest because we will be there forever if we are not in the first 60 people, because apple will nly let 30 people in at a time every 20 minutes

Fred C. Dobbs
Jul 9, 2008, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know what time the parking structure opens for early line ups,
and if we need to go to a specific mall enterance?

thanks,

FCD

HardHatMac9
Jul 9, 2008, 12:44 PM
i've actually parked in the mall around 7:30 once, so I know that there is parking at that time. I'm guessing they open the parking up early for the store employees that need to setup the stores. You might be lucky at 7am too. I'm willing to bet they won't be open for parking at 4am.

Also, is it possible to have people wait in line for you?

janey
Jul 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm willing to bet they won't be open for parking at 4am.
Okay, gave the Apple Store a call. The guy told me he had no idea but that they'd start at 8am, and to call the mall.

Called the mall. Got a woman who said I couldn't show up at 4am and find the parking lot open, but she wasn't entirely sure and that I should call the parking office.

Called the parking office # she gave me which turned out to be management, who forwarded me to Parking, where a guy told me the parking lot is open 24/7, and that if I come really early, some entrances might not be open, but the Santa Monica Blvd. one should be (big shiny new RockSugar restaurant next to it).

The phone number for management is 310 553 5300, and if you ask to be forwarded to the parking office, they'll do it. I'd appreciate it if someone could verify this tomorrow or later today. :)

HardHatMac9
Jul 9, 2008, 05:23 PM
Okay, gave the Apple Store a call. The guy told me he had no idea but that they'd start at 8am, and to call the mall.

Called the mall. Got a woman who said I couldn't show up at 4am and find the parking lot open, but she wasn't entirely sure and that I should call the parking office.

Called the parking office # she gave me which turned out to be management, who forwarded me to Parking, where a guy told me the parking lot is open 24/7, and that if I come really early, some entrances might not be open, but the Santa Monica Blvd. one should be (big shiny new RockSugar restaurant next to it).

The phone number for management is 310 553 5300, and if you ask to be forwarded to the parking office, they'll do it. I'd appreciate it if someone could verify this tomorrow or later today. :)

Good Work!

MacGod24
Jul 9, 2008, 05:26 PM

Okay thank you, i'll see you then friday 4AM, but i might go earlie, like 2

MacGod24
Jul 9, 2008, 06:51 PM
I cannot decide for the life of me whether to choose black or white

Doctor Q
Jul 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
I cannot decide for the life of me whether to choose black or white
That problem is simple to solve. Just read this entire thread. You'll be so sick of the question that you'll pick a color at random just to be done making the decision.

I wonder if, when stock in the stores gets low, people buying the 16GB model will take whatever color is left. And will people take the other size if the size they want runs out?

MacGod24
Jul 9, 2008, 08:28 PM
That problem is simple to solve. Just read this entire thread. You'll be so sick of the question that you'll pick a color at random just to be done making the decision.

I wonder if, when stock in the stores gets low, people buying the 16GB model will take whatever color is left. And will people take the other size if the size they want runs out?

Will you be there century city, and by the way i wont hav e tat orblem ill be first in line anywys

Doctor Q
Jul 9, 2008, 08:33 PM
Will you be there century cityI'm thinking about my choices and haven't decided yet.

MacGod24
Jul 9, 2008, 08:43 PM
Everyone please post which iphone they are getting

janey
Jul 9, 2008, 09:16 PM
Okay thank you, i'll see you then friday 4AM, but i might go earlie, like 2
Good Work!
Thanks guys. Again, I only spoke to one person about it, so if you REALLY are relying on my information, PLEASE doublecheck on your own.

And yeah, I haven't made up my mind about when to show up. I could in theory just walk over, but I hate walking alone at night. Also don't want to show up too insanely early, but it's not like I'm going to be doing anything anyway...so complicated.

Well, since I hate white so much, I'd rather go without iPhone than buy a white one. Now if it's a matter of size, I may consider it, but I do have to take into account how much space apps might take up..so it depends on how desperate/cheap I'm feeling.

...and by the way i wont hav e tat orblem ill be first in line anywys
very arrogant :eek: I only live a couple miles away, and I bet I could get away with getting in line right now just to spite you :D

Everyone please post which iphone they are getting
MacGod..just get whatever color you want. Is that so hard?

I'm one of those people who paid extra for a black MacBook, and I am obviously getting a black iPhone this time. I'm sick of white and never in a million years would be up for getting a white phone. There are people who think the opposite from me. If you really can't decide, flip a coin. It's that easy.

MacGod24
Jul 9, 2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys. Again, I only spoke to one person about it, so if you REALLY are relying on my information, PLEASE doublecheck on your own.

And yeah, I haven't made up my mind about when to show up. I could in theory just walk over, but I hate walking alone at night. Also don't want to show up too insanely early, but it's not like I'm going to be doing anything anyway...so complicated.

Well, since I hate white so much, I'd rather go without iPhone than buy a white one. Now if it's a matter of size, I may consider it, but I do have to take into account how much space apps might take up..so it depends on how desperate/cheap I'm feeling.

very arrogant :eek: I only live a couple miles away, and I bet I could get away with getting in line right now just to spite you :D

MacGod..just get whatever color you want. Is that so hard?

I'm one of those people who paid extra for a black MacBook, and I am obviously getting a black iPhone this time. I'm sick of white and never in a million years would be up for getting a white phone. There are people who think the opposite from me. If you really can't decide, flip a coin. It's that easy.

Well jane,
I also live a couple miles away from the apple store and i'll jump in line right now also, BTW they are only alowing line up 7;30 am,
in front of the mall

janey
Jul 9, 2008, 09:58 PM
BTW they are only alowing line up 7;30 am, in front of the mall
Okay, that's a statement I haven't heard yet. Nobody I talked to said that would be a problem. Guess I'll have to ask about that tomorrow.

Also, I really love takeoutla.com and labite.com for food delivery, and there's a whole bunch of places to eat in the mall too. Have fun waiting :D

NOmyJulie!
Jul 10, 2008, 04:10 AM
I think i might be, showing up around 2 hopefully i can be the first one in line. Suck's if you guy's can't park in the mall when you get there i am pretty sure the parking structure is closed at that time. So i guess it work's out for me, i work right across the street and i'll just park there cross the street and line-up. Am i going to see anyone else there let me know! Also i really don't believe that there will be thousand's of people lining up at the Century City mall i mean it's pretty much all business people that will be at work at the time the store open's. How busy did it get last year's? guess? thousand's, few hundreds? I mean if we are the first few hundred for sure we should be getting a phone!

janey
Jul 10, 2008, 04:40 AM
I think i might be, showing up around 2 hopefully i can be the first one in line...
I think the problem with comparing from last year is that the situation is slightly different - last year the launch was later in the day, while this time it's in the morning (because you have to activate in-store). Also I don't think there were that many people at the grove last year...so I doubt thousands. But..Friday morning, there might still be people needing to go to work and all. I'm hoping there won't be a lot of folks :)

Anyway, I've posted earlier in this thread that the parking lot at the mall is supposed to be open 24/7, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Lastly, if there is a big crowd early in the morning, I'd totally be up for coming around with a pot of coffee to join y'all ;)

Fred C. Dobbs
Jul 10, 2008, 09:46 AM
I spoke with a mall rep yesterday who said parking was available 24 hours,
but she was unsure if Apple would validate (otherwise an all night ticket is around $21) Under 3 hours is still free.

I plan to get there around 6:30 - 7, and take my chances that I can get in and out by 9:30 so I don't miss too much work.

FCD

lasteve
Jul 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
I'll be there at 5am, see you guys there!

janey
Jul 10, 2008, 02:44 PM
but she was unsure if Apple would validate (otherwise an all night ticket is around $21) Under 3 hours is still free.
If you spend at least $250, you can stop by the concierge and get free parking for the day (self AND valet!): http://westfield.com/centurycity/specialoffers/FreeValetandSelfParking.html

lasteve
Jul 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
cool thanks for the tip:D

SteveJensen99
Jul 10, 2008, 08:48 PM
I checked out the meetup activity on Beverly Center and it's pretty dead--maybe that's the place to go? Does anyone know their parking validation policy? They do have 2 of the coolest shops right next to that Apple Store--LA's only Ferrari Store and the best ice cream I've ever tasted--Silky Smooth upstairs.
Anyone want to meet there?

lasteve
Jul 10, 2008, 09:26 PM
interesting...what time did u check? I would consider going there its actually closer to me then century city and also they have an AT&T store right across the street on Beverly.

janey
Jul 10, 2008, 09:43 PM
cool thanks for the tip:D
please pass on the word to people you're near! when i was in line at the grove i didn't know but the guys around me did and that was awesome, so I plan on doing the same thing :p Parking can cost a LOT if you go over 3 hours (go spend that money in the app store instead! :D ).

I checked out the meetup activity on Beverly Center and it's pretty dead--maybe that's the place to go? Does anyone know their parking validation policy?
It's worth a try to call the mall. The apple guys at century city didn't know anything about what the mall was planning to do :rolleyes:

movieboy23
Jul 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
Ill be buying a 16GB black iPhone. I'm almost too excited to sleep.

See you guys @ 5 am.

modul8tr
Jul 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
See you there! Who's bringing doughnuts!?

janey
Jul 11, 2008, 07:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

wow. there aren't even 10 people in line right now, and most of us showed up at 5am. awesome!

janey
Jul 11, 2008, 07:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

dang. too good to be true. the actual line is like 30 now and not in front of the store.

edit: it's closer to 40-50 now

HardHatMac9
Jul 11, 2008, 12:43 PM
The line was about 250 strong when I rolled by on my way to work this morning at 7:50 AM. I'm wondering if everyone will get what they came for. Do they have a limited amount they are selling each day?

janey
Jul 11, 2008, 01:41 PM
The line was about 250 strong when I rolled by on my way to work this morning at 7:50 AM. I'm wondering if everyone will get what they came for. Do they have a limited amount they are selling each day?

They might have to wait a while. Got there at 5am, was about 35th in line, walked out of the store with two non-working phones (one old, one new) at around 10am which annoyed me because I couldn't make any calls, sigh. The longest part of the wait was definitely the activation (if you even managed to do it in the store).

Apparently some people before me even left..which was a shame. The people behind me have a LONG wait to go :( There's lots of employees, but there's only so much they can do about a slow activation process.

Fred C. Dobbs
Jul 11, 2008, 04:26 PM
I arrived around 6:30, and was 54th in line.
Unfortunately, I had to leave for work around 8:30 when it was clear I wouldn't have a phone in hand by 9:30.

I'll try again tonight.

Does anyone know if the store still has stock left?

FCD

HardHatMac9
Jul 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
I arrived around 6:30, and was 54th in line.
Unfortunately, I had to leave for work around 8:30 when it was clear I wouldn't have a phone in hand by 9:30.

I'll try again tonight.

Does anyone know if the store still has stock left?

FCD

I'm wondering the same thing or if they will run out of the 16gb in Black. Lemme know if you find out.

NOmyJulie!
Jul 13, 2008, 03:57 AM
Okay, that's a statement I haven't heard yet. Nobody I talked to said that would be a problem. Guess I'll have to ask about that tomorrow.

Also, I really love takeoutla.com and labite.com for food delivery, and there's a whole bunch of places to eat in the mall too. Have fun waiting :D

Hey Janey who were you there with ? i got there at 4Am. What were you wearing? Funny i probably saw all you guy's and don't even know what you guy's look like !