Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benabrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
I hope this is the right forum for this; I wasn't entirely sure where it fit best.

Anyway, I had a SATA volume formatted as HFS which I swapped from mac to PC. It's been running in there happily for a good length of time, and I've been using macdrive to access it with no problems.

However, I recently upgraded my Motherboard, and Vista requires a clean install when you do so. During re-installation (and at other times), the OS always sees the HFS volume as being completely empty (I've reinstalled before and it does so). This time, I accidentally selected my HFS volume rather than my NTFS volume for the install; however, I immediately realized my mistake and cancelled. The installer did not format the HFS volume in terms of erasing any data (it saw no need, since it could see 450+ gig of what it believed to be free space), but it did copy 121 meg of files before I cancelled, part of which I believe to be the MBR.

The volume now believes itself to be NTFS. When I open macdrive to have a poke around, it displays a 465GB NTFS partition, but also a 465GB 'unknown' partition.

I'm really at a loss as to how I might go about accessing the 200+ gig I had on this HFS volume, since I'm 99.9% sure that nothing was erased during my mistake; just that an MBR was written ready for installation of vista.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

EDIT: In case it helps, the drive now shows the following files:
$WINDOWS.~LS (Folder, 0 Bytes)
c6ce1f5c7d4dfde73466685c8e6a43 (Folder, 54Kb)
Program Files (Folder, 2,86Mb)
BOOTSECT.BAK (8Kb)

benabrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Never mind, solved the problem with disk recovery software. For anyone else experiencing anything similar, I'd like to advocate R-Studio, it did exactly what I needed it to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.