Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dn21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
becasue that is when the update is coming
also is the update going to come included in the touch

dn21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
then the buyers guide Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle does that mean the cycle gets renewed july11

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
then the buyers guide Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle does that mean the cycle gets renewed july11

I swear the grammar on this forum, especially the iPod Touch section, gets worse every week.

No, it does not mean that the cycle renews on July 11th. It means that on average, the iPod Touch gets updated every 153 days. I really wouldn't put much stock in that figure, though, as the iPod Touch hasn't even been out for a calendar year yet. Kinda hard for us to get a feel for how often it is going to be updated when its only gotten one capacity upgrade so far.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I swear the grammar on this forum, especially the iPod Touch section, gets worse every week.

No, it does not mean that the cycle renews on July 11th. It means that on average, the iPod Touch gets updated every 153 days. I really wouldn't put much stock in that figure, though, as the iPod Touch hasn't even been out for a calendar year yet. Kinda hard for us to get a feel for how often it is going to be updated when its only gotten one capacity upgrade so far.

the update 153 days ago was only a memory update, not a major design/form update. It wasn't really a major change, as the 8GB and 16GB iPod touch is still available.

As reported on many threads on this forum, a major design update (as in the one for iPhone 3G) is due, but might not happen until September/October.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Yes and if you send me a PM I will give you the address to ship it to.

I had the cash for either an Touch or an new iPhone last week. Decided with what it is going to cost 1) early termination of my current carrier contract, 2)sounding like absolute requirement of a contract i.e. no GO Phone option and 3) raising the cost of data package --that ultimately the iPhone at this time is to rich for me. The touch is a nice device.

And you know what there is a hell of a lot of naked WiFi out there.

R

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008

...glass houses...

bcode

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
iPod Touch Updates

Though it hasn't been announced just yet, I believe there will be a smaller form factor Touch out for the back to school rush... nearing the end of the summer.

2.8 inch iPod Touch form-factors have been manufactured and photographed, and since the iPhone was not released with 2 different sizes, it only makes sense that apple is making the touch slightly smaller and more than likely slightly cheaper(maybe $179.00?) than the iPhone.

Even though the iPhone is subsidized from AT&T, consumers won't see the benefit of buying an iPod Touch if it remains more expensive than it's full-featured big brother. Therefore a price-drop is pretty much inevitable, and a hardware update, just as much so.

Look for apple to slowly phase out all click-wheel iPod designs and phase in multi-touch technology where ever possible. Including all models of the iPhone, less the shuffle.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Though it hasn't been announced just yet, I believe there will be a smaller form factor Touch out for the back to school rush... nearing the end of the summer.

2.8 inch iPod Touch form-factors have been manufactured and photographed, and since the iPhone was not released with 2 different sizes, it only makes sense that apple is making the touch slightly smaller and more than likely slightly cheaper(maybe $179.00?) than the iPhone.

Even though the iPhone is subsidized from AT&T, consumers won't see the benefit of buying an iPod Touch if it remains more expensive than it's full-featured big brother. Therefore a price-drop is pretty much inevitable, and a hardware update, just as much so.

Look for apple to slowly phase out all click-wheel iPod designs and phase in multi-touch technology where ever possible. Including all models of the iPhone, less the shuffle.

I broadly agree, although, I don't think they'll phase out the iPod Classic entirely. They'll just refine it, probably with a small touchscreen - but essentially, it'll probably look the same as the current model.

The price-drop is the most likely way to go for the iPod Touch on July 11 - for the simple reason that people will just go out and buy an iPhone if they want an iPod Touch, and it would be pointless having the 8GB or 16GB iPod Touch on the market if customers can get an iPhone for a cheaper up-front price, with the features of a phone built-in for an ongoing monthly subscription.

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
the update 153 days ago was only a memory update, not a major design/form update. It wasn't really a major change, as the 8GB and 16GB iPod touch is still available.

As reported on many threads on this forum, a major design update (as in the one for iPhone 3G) is due, but might not happen until September/October.

:confused:

Did you see the same WWDC keynote as I did? What kind of major design update did the iPhone 3G undergo? Plastic backs, to help drive down the price and help reception (which the Touch doesn't really need, and don't all iPods now have the aluminum back?). GPS (which the Touch won't get). 3G (which the Touch doesn't get). What hardware is there to be updated? Unlike the iPods of yesteryear, the Touch is a platform that does evolve through updates in software rather than relying on hardware fixes.

While I can see a smaller form factor, there aren't updates available for the Touch. Storage space will increase, and other than that, the Touches five years from now will be very similar to those we have now.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
:confused:

Did you see the same WWDC keynote as I did? What kind of major design update did the iPhone 3G undergo? Plastic backs, to help drive down the price and help reception (which the Touch doesn't really need, and don't all iPods now have the aluminum back?). GPS (which the Touch won't get). 3G (which the Touch doesn't get). What hardware is there to be updated? Unlike the iPods of yesteryear, the Touch is a platform that does evolve through updates in software rather than relying on hardware fixes.

While I can see a smaller form factor, there aren't updates available for the Touch. Storage space will increase, and other than that, the Touches five years from now will be very similar to those we have now.

Maybe you didn't watch the same WWDC keynote as the rest of us, but the iPhone just underwent a major design update - both externally, and internally.

The design update was not just the backplate of the 3G iPhone, it was the internals (inclusion of GPS, upgrade to 3G), hence the device becoming slightly thicker. This type of change would lend itself to a memory increase for the iPod Touch - for example, if a larger flash drive was built into any future Touch update it might require a thicker casing. That would be the sort of hardware update I was refering to. It's entirely possible for the iPod Touch to have hardware updates (ie. the addition of a camera, a flash, GPS, etc.).

As I also said, Apple are masters at standardising across the range (iPod Classic and Nano now share the same screen, same headphone jack etc.), so it's not unreasonable to assume that they would standardise the design across the iPhone and iPod Touch to save on production costs.

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Maybe you didn't watch the same WWDC keynote as the rest of us, but the iPhone just underwent a major design update - both externally, and internally.

The design update was not just the backplate of the 3G iPhone, it was the internals (inclusion of GPS, upgrade to 3G), hence the device becoming slightly thicker. This type of change would lend itself to a memory increase for the iPod Touch - for example, if a larger flash drive was built into any future Touch update it might require a thicker casing. That would be the sort of hardware update I was refering to. It's entirely possible for the iPod Touch to have hardware updates (ie. the addition of a camera, a flash, GPS, etc.).

As I also said, Apple are masters at standardising across the range (iPod Classic and Nano now share the same screen, same headphone jack etc.), so it's not unreasonable to assume that they would standardise the design across the iPhone and iPod Touch to save on production costs.

I already discussed 3G and GPS in my post, but perhaps I should reiterate: neither of those features are going into the Touch at this time. The Touch has two slots for memory, the iPhone has one. The prohibiting factor in more memory is the cost more than space. If Apple did use a "larger flash drive," then they would not be using the same memory as in the iPhone - which debunks your theory. A change in the outer shell to match the iPhone would be the only "hardware update" that you could ask for. Cameras, flash, and GPS belong on a phone - but not on an iPod/PDA.

I'm not going to say that Apple will not update the Touch to look like the iPhone, but there isn't anything else to do besides change the shell. Also, I believe that Apple is going to keep the Aluminum back on the Touch - all iPods have Aluminum backs now, it may very well be how to tell the iPhone and iPod Touch apart in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.