PDA

View Full Version : Austin, TX

Invis
Jun 15, 2008, 12:02 AM
Will anyone else be in attendance at The Domain?

I actually live in The Domain, so it is a short walk for me.

piecinitup
Jun 16, 2008, 10:00 AM
No Austinites? Come on....

I'm going to hit up the Domain Apple store off Century Oaks Terrace, who wants to meet me there?

Mitch

spudnik187
Jun 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
I may join you there. I was thinking about hitting up the new AT&T store in Cedar Park because I figured traffic would be lighter there. However, if there are enough of us doing this I could be persuaded to go to the Domain.

And5555
Jun 16, 2008, 12:22 PM
I may join you there. I was thinking about hitting up the new AT&T store in Cedar Park because I figured traffic would be lighter there. However, if there are enough of us doing this I could be persuaded to go to the Domain.

I was thinking the same exact thing until I read this post. Apparently others have the idea "I'll go to the new AT&T store in 1890 Ranch since not as many people will be there." Might have to rethink that.

piecinitup
Jun 17, 2008, 01:59 PM

Hey Spud,

I'm ok with meeting you at the Cedar Park store, I'm starting to think the Domain apple store may get a bit crowded. I'm not sure what this guy above is talking about with 1800 ranch. Anyway, let me know what you think.

And5555
Jun 19, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Spud,

I'm ok with meeting you at the Cedar Park store, I'm starting to think the Domain apple store may get a bit crowded. I'm not sure what this guy above is talking about with 1800 ranch. Anyway, let me know what you think.

"This guy above" is talking about the shopping center "1890 Ranch" where the new AT&T store is. That would be the *new* store referenced above.

Invis
Jun 20, 2008, 12:49 AM
No Austinites? Come on....

I'm going to hit up the Domain Apple store off Century Oaks Terrace, who wants to meet me there?

Mitch
there are actually two other Austin threads.. someone didn't search.. ;)

but anyway, i'll be @ the domain location.

spudnik187
Jul 2, 2008, 11:38 PM
Just went by the ATT store at 1890 ranch tonight. Asked the reps if many people had been asking about iPhone 3G or inquiring about "camping out." He said I was the first person to ask about the new iPhone. I'm still thinking I'm going to go there instead of the Apple Store @ The Domain. I think at least one of my fellow co-workers will also be there. Unless I see a line forming Thursday on my way to work, I'll probably set up shop on Thursday evening.

And5555
Jul 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
Just went by the ATT store at 1890 ranch tonight. Asked the reps if many people had been asking about iPhone 3G or inquiring about "camping out." He said I was the first person to ask about the new iPhone. I'm still thinking I'm going to go there instead of the Apple Store @ The Domain. I think at least one of my fellow co-workers will also be there. Unless I see a line forming Thursday on my way to work, I'll probably set up shop on Thursday evening.

If he said you were the first person to ask about the new iPhone, he either lied or doesn't work very often. I went in almost 2 weeks ago to ask about the iPhone and there were other people there asking about it too. The guy I talked to said they were expecting ~300 iPhones (I don't know if I believe him, but that's what he said). I think I'll be showing up at 9 to hopefully just grab and go.

Thistledown
Jul 8, 2008, 01:07 PM
I think I'll be at The Domain. I'm not sure how it's going to be handled this year. I called Apple this morning, and they didn't seem to know either. Just basically said line up. Last year, Domain security said no one could line up until the first shops opened (8 or 10am). So, people just stood around (not in a line) until the magic time appeared until everyone walked quickly to get into line. That was poor planning on Apple and the Domain's side.

With the opening at 8am, I'm not sure what Domain security is going to do if people start lining up at at 5 or 6am.

mark34
Jul 9, 2008, 08:14 AM
I am not eligible for upgrade and, given my previous employment with AT&T, I am considered business customer. I will have to go to AT&T store. I may swing by the domain for accessories after I buy the phone. Do you guys know if I will be able to just walk in and look for and buy accessories separate from the people lined up at the Apple Store to buy the phone?

I posted in the Domain thread first but, I need to go to AT&T store due to "business" status from my previous employment with AT&T. I live in West Lake Hills, but was considering going to the AT&T store at 360 and 183. It is a large store and also close to the Domain if I need plan B. The AT&T store in West Lake is teeny and I figure that Barton Creek will be crowded.

Do you guys know from last year if I will be able to walk right into the Domain Apple Store to buy accessories after buying my phone at AT&T or will I have to wait behind people looking to buy the phone?

bstreiff
Jul 9, 2008, 08:19 AM
Well, nobody's lined up yet, at least.

(I work nearby, so I walk through the Domain between work and my bus stop.)

I probably won't be lining up at 8am, as I have events scheduled at 8:30am. Does anyone know if Apple'll have the online store-availability-checker like they had last year? I might swing by after work if they're not sold out.

yellow
Jul 9, 2008, 08:19 AM
Merged 2 threads for the same area.

Thistledown
Jul 9, 2008, 10:16 AM
There will be an availability checker, but I wouldn't expect it to work until Friday evening.

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

DeaconGraves
Jul 9, 2008, 10:17 AM
As a fairly new resident of Austin (i.e., post first iPhone launch), how quickly did the Domain sell out last time around? And how did it fare regarding re-stocking?

I'm trying to decide between going there or a fairly small AT&T store down the street from me (that is selling the iPhone but just due to it size likely won't get many).

spudnik187
Jul 10, 2008, 02:43 PM
Drove by the ATT store in 1890 Ranch this morning on my way to work and saw no line. I'll of course check on my way home. I'm thinking that if there is no line by 10:00 p.m. tonight, I'll just get at least a few hours of sleep and show up at 6:00 a.m. or thereabouts.

mark34
Jul 10, 2008, 02:54 PM
I am betting that anytime before 7AM at an AT&T store in Austin should be good enough. I want a chance at a white one (game time decision). Think I need to get there closer to 6AM.

I am planning on the one at 183 and 360. Anybody see a reason why that would be particularly good or bad or have other suggestions?

thanks

Thistledown
Jul 10, 2008, 03:34 PM
The Domain didn't sell out until Sunday or Monday last time.

You can't line up before 6am per The Domain security. It would probably be easier to go later in the day than right at opening or at lunch if the quantities are similar to last year.

DeaconGraves
Jul 10, 2008, 03:36 PM
The Domain didn't sell out until Sunday or Monday last time.

You can't line up before 6am per The Domain security. It would probably be easier to go later in the day than right at opening or at lunch if the quantities are similar to last year.

Where'd you hear about the 6am issue? Not that I don't trust you :cool: I just wasn't aware.

And the question is now, is there going to be a line to get into the line?

Thistledown
Jul 10, 2008, 03:46 PM
I've been calling the Apple Domain store all week trying to get this answer since last year The Domain security were sticklers about it. Today, the Apple store finally said 6am is the earliest we can line up (per The Domain). I think it's stupid to have an arbitrary time like this because as you say - there could be a line for the line. Last year, the people there before the line up time (8 am I think) were milling around until 8am hit, and dashed for the line. Frankly, security should have let people line up instead of milling around.

DeaconGraves
Jul 10, 2008, 03:47 PM
Ugh. That whole "dash for the line" thing is seriously going to make me reconsider going to the domain....

Although I guess it means I could get a bit more sleep then I intended.

nowstime
Jul 11, 2008, 01:18 AM
You guys are lucky...In my area they are all sold out...New York, NY.

semperfimarine2
Jul 11, 2008, 06:39 AM
lines anywhere???

besides the domain

bstreiff
Jul 11, 2008, 08:11 AM
There were about 200ish people lined up when I walked by twenty minutes ago.

Glad I didn't have my hopes up too high on getting an iPhone today. :)

dave-tx
Jul 11, 2008, 10:08 AM
Any reports from Austin-area AT&T stores? What are the lines like? Have any of the stores sold out today?

semperfimarine2
Jul 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
got mine from the att store off of 35, in Capital Plaza

they had 60 phones

i was number 30, and there was plenty more than 30 people behind me

so I'm assuming they sold out

tbobmccoy
Jul 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
got mine from the att store off of 35, in Capital Plaza

they had 60 phones

i was number 30, and there was plenty more than 30 people behind me

so I'm assuming they sold out

I got my 8gb one from the store at 45th and lamar... huge lines, bad customer service by ATT (who would expect any better), and they couldnt activate it on the spot... so i'm waiting till after work to do mine. Good luck everyone! I spend the other 100 on an apple bluetooth headset instead of 8gb of memory... good idea or bad idea? (PS: they were out of 16gb within the first 20 people..) Tell me!!

mtsfestivus
Jul 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
I was at the AT&T store on 5th and Lamar. They had 80 in stock and ran out of the 16gb model just before me, so I'm waiting.

What's the line like at Barton Creek?

DeaconGraves
Jul 11, 2008, 01:24 PM
Went to Domain just a little before 6 AM today and ended up being about 75th in line. Didn't leave with my phone (unactivated) until 11:30 AM.

Phew, long day. But I got a white 16 GB. Domain looked like they had a ton of stock, but also an absurdly long line of people to go.

And5555
Jul 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
Did anybody hear anything on additional shipments to AT&T stores?

All that I've been hearing is "We don't know".

I think I'm going to camp out a bit tomorrow morning to get one cuz I missed out today (too late).

(I wish I could buy one at the Apple store where they have a LOT of stock, but I have a corporate discount on my account.)

k2bren
Jul 11, 2008, 02:46 PM
I've talked to AT&T Reps and from doing more research it's obvious that Apple is sending almost all their inventory to their own Apple retail stores. Looks like they are may be getting a $$bonus for each unit they sign AT&T up for. ATT Retailers are getting 30 and The Domain is getting 300+...

I'm going to go to Barton Creek mall around 8:30am (they open at 10:00) and will wait it out.

Does anyone know if Barton Creek mall has free wifi? Can you even get in the mall that early?

TomyDingo
Jul 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
Any reports from Austin-area AT&T stores? What are the lines like? Have any of the stores sold out today?

I went to the AT&T store on Research BLVD in NW Austin (Sorry if those directions sound redundant or confusing, I'm fairly new to Austin). I drove by around 5:45am and there was about ten people lined up. I decided to go home, grab a bite to eat and arrived back around 6:15 and the line was about 50 people long. The AT&T reps told us that they only received 100 phones and around 7:45 were turning people away. I didn't get into the store until about 9am and got my Black 16gb.

AtariAge
Jul 11, 2008, 08:27 PM
Just took a visit to the Domain store and my hopes of getting an iPhone 3G were quickly dashed. I went to the end of the (outside) line at a bit before 7:30pm and an Apple employee warned me that they could not guarantee I'd get to the "checkout" process in time to purchase a phone by the time they closed (11pm). The employee told me the outside line was taking about three hours and then another two and a half hours once you got inside!! I was confused by this last statement until I looked inside and saw a winding mass of people queued up inside. I was amused, took some pictures, and left..

I'll try again on Monday. :)

..Al

pjdrsd
Jul 12, 2008, 01:22 AM
Exactly 6 hours of standing in line at the Domain Store netted us two 16GB phones - one white and one black. Got there at 4:15 and walked out the door about 10:15. At about 9pm they stopped letting people in and actually shut the doors on the rest of the people outside. However, as we were getting our phones, the guys were still stocking the drawers behind the counters, so I would suspect that the door closing had more to do with closing time than low inventory. Overall, it was worth it, but the whole activation in-store was a joke.

elguercoterco
Jul 12, 2008, 09:34 AM
i showed up at barton creek at around 5:45am yesterday. i was #18 in line. i was part of the second group to be let into the store at about 8:15. i left the store with an iphone 8gig at about 9:30 because ATT servers processing payment and credit checks went down. when that came back up, itunes service went down. a corporate apple type that was monitoring the activity in store insisted that people activate their phones before leaving; however, after seeing that the line outside was at least 300 deep and realizing that people who had already paid and had a receipt in hand were not about to wait around any longer, he "let us" leave.

i imagine people in the 300+ line were waiting well into the late afternoon. anyone know if they ran out?

grayvader
Jul 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
I just called the store and they have 8G and 16G white phones left. They said the line was still many hours deep. Apparently it take too darn long for each person with all the activation nonsense.
good luck all who dare (or did dare)

leviut
Jul 12, 2008, 10:27 AM
But Apple and AT&T have lost their damn minds with this in store activation crap. It takes too friggin long. :(

leviut
Jul 30, 2008, 02:03 AM
I know at least a few people are wondering, as I was, what is the wait and availability of the iPhone like right now?

The stores are opening early, at 8am. You still need to arrive between 6 and 7am to get in line, earlier is better.

That was my experience today at Barton Creek. They gave out tickets to the first 60 people in line which allowed them the iPhone of their choice. After receiving this ticket, I was free to leave and come back anytime before 6pm for the phone, as long as I'd saved my ticket.

The total wait was like 3-4 hours. Which, at this point in time, 2 weeks after launch, is long. Activation was fast and the Apple reps are SO cool. Overall, this was not a bad experience.

BTW, I went with the White one.

compaqdrew
Aug 7, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm sure some of you are still curious about the current state of iPhone availability. I was first in line at Barton Creek this morning at 6:00am.
The next guy was 6:15-6:20. There were maybe ten people at 7am. After that it filled up VERY fast. I would say perhaps 40 people got their iPhones, give or take (maybe half the line). The last iPhone went to a guy who showed around 7:30 or so. Remember, this was a Thursday, so YMMV on a weekend (yuck).

Guy came around to give the vouchers at 8, let me in the store at 8:15, I was activated and back in my car at 8:30. There were maybe 3 activations going on simultaneously, so you might want to come back over lunch if you're >10th in line and have a work schedule to keep.

If you've never been, you might want to take a look at a map of the mall. The Apple store is closest to Nordstroms on the second floor, and there will be a line outside the mall near the Nordstroms entrance that forms around 6:45.

Not knowing this, I walked around looking for a way in. Officially, the doors open at 7am. Unofficially, there is an open dock loading door over in a nook by Macy's. It says "authorized personnel only" or some such, but the dock workers just waved me through. I don't think mall employees have badges or anything (I could have passed for an AE/Hollister employee by look, so maybe that's what they thought). Walked through the service hallway and hooked a right and I was in the mall. If you do this at 6:55 before the main doors open, you might be able to jump in front of the 10 or so people in line outside Nordstrom's. Not sure what the point of that would be, as if you're in the outside line at 6:55 you'll be getting an iPhone anyway.