Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Question for all y'all that use TextMate. I know there are a lot of ya out there.

In other text editors I've worked in, when you select a block of text and launch the find/replace dialog, it automatically gets populated with said selected text.

Is it possible to have TextMate behave this way?

Thanks.

dtyson

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
I'm not a TextMate expert (I'd switch to it in a second if they had a more robust find/replace feature - I'm so used to BBEdit's find/replace, which I think is one of the best out there) BUT... What I do know is that, although it's rather awkward:

COMMAND + E will put any text you select into the find/replace box. You still need to type COMMAND + F in order to get the box but it will be populated no less.

I try very hard to like TextMate. I LOVE some of its features but I just can't get over the poorly implemented find/replace - or at least it's poorly implemented in my opinion. Of course, now that I think about it, that procedure is exactly the same in BBEdit. COMMAND + E puts the selected text into the find/replace box, which one can see after then typing COMMAND + F.

Hope that helps.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
In Safari, if you hit cmd + E then hit cmd + F, it will do the same thing.

Same in terminal, I believe this would be more of a system thing than a BBEdit or Textmate thing.

dtyson

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
In Safari, if you hit cmd + E then hit cmd + F, it will do the same thing.

Same in terminal, I believe this would be more of a system thing than a BBEdit or Textmate thing.

Cool. I didn't realize that it was system-wide. Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.