Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
As queried in the subject, what do you feel is the best thing about a mac? Is it the hardware, software, OS, community, etc.?

Personally, I like the mac community. PC experts are almost always condesending elitists, while mac experts are usually friendly and willing to help.

In the words of Linda Richmond, "discuss amongst yourselves."

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Good call. I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars protecting my computer from viruses.
Macs don't burn you out as fast. At school, I get burnt to quick using Windoze. But I can work for hours on end using a Mac.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
general sense of robustness... (speaking about OS X)

and iPhoto. coupled with the iPhoto Library Manager, it's the best app i've ever used in my life. it really enriched my newest hobby. (digital photography)

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
The best thing about Macs vs. Windows, in general: When the Mac tries to second-guess my intentions and do something for me, it usually gets it RIGHT. On the first try. Before I even have to worry about it.

It's like the difference between a waiter at a high-class establishment (who will appear at your elbow at about the same time you realize you need him for something) and a pushy used-car salesman.

Yup. :)

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
i used to be a closed minded PC user until my uncle convinced my parents to buy a G3 imac. i was pissed at the time but learned to love it. now i just purchased my own apple product, the ibook and love the OS even more. everything is seamlessly intergrated and works perfectly. apple hit the bullseye with panther. also as mentioned earlier no viruses. ive actually had viruses DL onto my computer but it couldnt work b/c i got a mac. also design. you could use your imac as a dinner table center piece!

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by slipper
you could use your imac as a dinner table center piece!
Now there's an idea...
Kind of like the G3 iMacs they have at one of the dining halls at URI (Uni, of Rhode Island). They put some touchscreens on them, and you order your deli sandwiches.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'm probably the only guy who likes it for the hardware. I mean the software (OS) isn't terrible and I know the hardware isn't as speedy as PC counterparts, but sometimes reliability and stability are better than speed. I don't care how many times people say "But XP is the stablest Windows ever" because it's just not as stable as the Mac. No IRQ conflicts, no processor overheating, practically no hardware incompatibilities -- it's awesome. I also find it ironic that some PC hardware that is not officially Mac compatible will work out of the box while Windows needs the drivers.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
the best thing about macs for me...

hmmm... they're just so dynamic... i showed some friends of mine around panther and the best comment was "everything jumps at you" macs are exciting and fun to use... they are great tools... PC's are for tools... hehehe...

the mac community kicks butt as well!!!!

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Application Installation

I dig the way you install applications. Drag the folder to the location of your choice. To remove? Drag it to the Trash. Sweet :D

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I appreciate Safari's built in pop-up blocker. I cannot imagine how many times my PC at work has been bombarded with pop-ups.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The best thing is the cost effictivness of a Macintosh Computer. You pay twice as much, for a computer that will be current for 2.5-3 times longer than a PC.

TEG

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Because I don't have to feel quite as dirty about giving my money to a corporation that openly flaunts government regulations and whose sole purpose seems to be utter control of its users' personal lives. Oh, and putting any and every potential competitor out of business.

Apple (or Steve, anyway) may want complete control over the asthetics of the user's computing experience, but they don't seem to much care whether they've got complete control of your finances and online identy.

I think Apple, Inc. pays taxes, too.

Not getting viruses and the coolness of running UNIX ain't too bad at the end of the day, either.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like everything about Macs. The operating system, the cool designs, the focus on creativity, and the Mac community. And was before I got Unix too!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA

I might also suggest http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware. All being free (or cheap), but third party. Thank you for proving our point.

Macs are easier. Simple as that. I hate having to work just to get my Windows machines working. Firewalls, pop-up blockers, virus scanners, spyware scanners, maintenance programs...

Apple may not be perfect, but looking at their competition, they sure seem close.

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
As of G5, i think they have superior hardware to anything presently available. I like that! In terms of OS they have that one nailed too.
The way they have married the hardware so well to the OS is incredible and makes for a very reliable , stable and fast systems.
Im not sure if its the hardware , OS, or what ever, but we have found that we can have more windows open at once running their tasks happily on iBook G4 than we can on centrino running XP.
Now undoubtedly per app the centrino is faster ... much faster! (comparing 1GHz G4 versus 1.7 Pentium M aint exactly fair deal! ) however, in terms of speed penalty when lots of apps are open at once and running concurrently, the ibook g4 seams much faster. This is one area that i do not know too much about , but could someone tell me if a RISC processor is more adept at havin many processes running concurrently than say an x86??? Or is this another consequence of the OSX factor being superior to win XP??
Any experts??
I know on a per app the Centrino is much much faster, just wehn different apps are run in parallel (i.e. real world) the ibook seams to really strut its stuff in comparison which is a bit of a shock! Personally i put this down to windows.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by i_wolf
...in terms of speed penalty when lots of apps are open at once and running concurrently, the ibook g4 seams much faster. This is one area that i do not know too much about , but could someone tell me if a RISC processor is more adept at havin many processes running concurrently than say an x86??? Or is this another consequence of the OSX factor being superior to win XP??
It's definitely not because of the processor architecture. I have heard from several people that OSX, thanks to its highly multitasking UNIX core, is much better at spreading the load between multiple processes than Windows, at least outside of the Pro/Server versions.

I don't have enough in-depth knowledge to back this up for sure, but your comments seem to confirm this.

If nothing else, I can certainly say that UNIX has over 20 years of background as a multi-user system designed to efficiently spread load.

Adding one more data point, when I recently tried to bring my DP2.0 to its knees (I was stress testing, so I wanted to), I had to work VERY hard--essentially every app in my home folder, an iDVD project, MP3s, and several big videos before things started to stutter, and I think it was my HD choking since the process meter still wasn't maxed out completely.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I have burned a CD, encoded a DVD, surfed the web, listen to itunes, Xchated, and iChated on my TiBook 1Ghz at the same time and it never choked the slightest bit. I think I might had mail.app open too. Then there is the 2.4ish Ghz PC user down the wing from me whose PC is rendered useless while converting wma to mp3. Now my Mac can't do that conversion, but nonetheless, if it could I'd have more to gloat about.

PCs = run one app super fast
Mac = run many apps at the same speed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.