Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bowlerguy10

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
At my computer
If you didn't get the apps automatically on your new iPod touch then you can contact apple and they will give you a voucher for the applications so that you can obtain them for free.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
If you didn't get the apps automatically on your new iPod touch then you can contact apple and they will give you a voucher for the applications so that you can obtain them for free.

Depends, OP: when did you buy your ipod?

EDIT: DOH! is it new to you, or new out of the store?
if it is new to you, you need to buy the jan software update, but if it is brand new, apple should give you a voucher for the apps

camholms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

WTF? What I thought all new touches had this apps on them? I have the box with John Lenon on it? I downloaded the 1.14 update to it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Not all iPod touches have the January Software update applied - even the John Lennon ones. iPod touches that were delivered from Apple before the upgrade was announced do not have it pre-loaded and because of this Apple either reduced the price of the old ones as was the case here or issued a free voucher to download them. Either way you had to buy the January Software Upgrade from the iTunes Store, Apple just lets you do it for "free."

There are many iPod touches out there still in the box without 1.1.4 and the January Upgrade. Here those model numbers end in /A whereas the updated ones end in /B.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
What I thought all new touches had this apps on them? I have the box with John Lenon on it?
You are confused. John Lenon boxed Touch's came out before last Christmas and they didn't have the new apps.

thewind21

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
You are confused. John Lenon boxed Touch's came out before last Christmas and they didn't have the new apps.

I just got a new touch with the John Lennon box and it has all the new app eg maps, stocks etc

I would agree with the above, if you've just bought it from Apple, I'd be demanding I get the updates free if they're not already on there

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Unfortunately at this time, even if Apple did grant you a voulcher for the purchase of the 'January Software Upgrade' so that you can obtain the package for free,
you physically cannot buy it.

The Janurary Software Upgrade has been completely pulled from distribution on iTunes in light of the new 2.0 software upgrade coming to iPod touch and
iPhone on July 11th 2008.

The January Software Upgrade is no longer available to devices which don't have it pre-installed at purchase. Model numbers ending in /B have the upgrade
pre-installed. Models ending in /A do not. You will find the model number of your iPod touch on your dispatch e-mail from Apple.com

I suggest you Contact Apple and ask them to swap it out for a /B model.

R-Fly

pisces03x

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
My friend also has an iPod touch with version 1.1.4 and he too refused to get the software update.
Here's hoping that, when they stick 2.0 on iTunes, that there will at least be a mention to a new link where you can get the 1.1.3 update.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
I just got John Lennon box 3 days ago. Apple Store Vancouver is new and has all new stock. So I got the update. If you got it from a apple store call them for a voucher or call apples 1-800 number. If you paid full price you should get your new features :)

Nickelz92

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
The Janurary Software Upgrade has been completely pulled from distribution on iTunes in light of the new 2.0 software upgrade coming to iPod touch and
iPhone on July 11th 2008.

As you stated in the other thread, I would definetly see this as evidence that the JSU will be bundled in the normal 2.0 or possibly a $15-20 bundle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.