PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G4 vs Mac Mini

luffytubby
Jun 16, 2008, 05:32 PM
My mother just had her G4 Mac die on her. She bought it four years ago! She got the last MDD Power Mac G4 with dual 1.42 GHz PowerPC 7455 processors, running on OS 9!

Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Flash, Office, GoLive, InDesign, Image ready, Dreamweaver and so on, is the programs she use the most.

She has been quite satisfied thus far with the performance of the G4, until now(DEAD...)!

She now considers getting an Mac Mini, with 2,0 Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB Ram running on Lepoard with a 160 GB Harddrive.

My question is - Is the Mac Mini powerful enough for the programs that she uses mostly(mentioned above)!?
Will the Mac Mini be more powerful or equal to the G4?

The Mini has a integrated Intel 950 GPU - Would it be enough to run does programs decently?
I know that the buyers guide suggests not purchasing a mini, but we are short on money, and she needs the computer to do her job as a web designer/art director!

an alternative would be to purchase a refurbed G4 similiar to the one she had before!

I dont know what to advice to her. When money is an factor, and considering that she has been happy with the G4 for the past for years, I just dont know...

Does anyone have any suggestions for which direction my mom should go in?

thanks!

QCassidy352
Jun 16, 2008, 06:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

In terms of processing power the mini smokes the g4 by leaps and bounds. The integrated graphics are bad, but for the programs you list I don't think it would be an issue.

Maxime
Jun 17, 2008, 05:24 AM
I have exactly what you describe and I love it. :D