Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikey73465

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
even though there have been other posts, i still have some questions

I went to an Apple Hiring seminar the other day, and at the end, I talked to the manager about minimum age, because I am only 15 and a half. She said that she wasn't sure if Apple had its own policy or if it went by the states. Does anyone known from personal experience?

Thanks Alot:D

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007

I went to an Apple Hiring seminar the other day, and at the end, I talked to the manager about minimum age, because I am only 15 and a half. She said that she wasn't sure if Apple had its own policy or if it went by the states. Does anyone known from personal experience?

18 years old

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
yeah there is no way they are going to let a 15 year old work there. sorry, but most places of business aren't looking for employees younger than 16

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I was told by a worker at my local Apple Store that the minimum age to work there was 18. I'm not sure if that's the minimum age for every Apple Store though.

Super Intendo

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Its 18, trust me I've asked plenty of times. I even emailed Steve about it because I really dont see the point and apparently nobody else can tell me why it is that I cant work there at 17, I'm extremely over qualified lol :rolleyes:

themiracle

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
I am 17 and I applied...they just sent me an email inviting me to the Hiring Seminar...

I'd watch out. I had a friend who went though as an early 17 year old and he basically got to the last stage with flying colors and they had to turn him down because they didn't realize he wasn't 18.

sportsfreak2159

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2008
I have a feeling that might happen, cuz the same thing happened when i applied to work at Radio Shack. The interview is a little far, forget it.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
I could understand why they wouldn't hire a 15 year old. I mean my younger brother is 15 and he looks like he's 12 years old. Most companies don't wont employees who look like kids because people are reluctant to trust employees who like kids, but 17 year old is basically an adult. I mean if a person is qualified I don't see what difference one year makes.

JNB

macrumors 604
I could understand why they wouldn't hire a 15 year old. I mean my younger brother is 15 and he looks like he's 12 years old. Most companies don't wont employees who look like kids because people are reluctant to trust employees who like kids, but 17 year old is basically an adult. I mean if a person is qualified I don't see what difference one year makes.

It's not a matter of trust or knowledge, it's a matter of what State & Federal laws allow, plus when the employer needs someone to be there and whether a person who is likely is still in school can meet that schedule. It's ultimately not up to the individual store.

As far as "17 year old is basically an adult," well...

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
In most states a 16 year old can work at most places without any restrictions, other than places that serve alcohol, where they have to be 18. I understand what you're saying about school conflicts and stuff, but even at 18 most people are still attending college, so I still can't see much of a difference in 17 and 18. At least high school students schedules don't change, whereas college students schedules can change every semester or quarter.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I think it all has to do with maturity level. Look at Target as an example of a company that goes out and hires sixteen year old (look at the quality of the store).

mikey73465

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Well I went to the Apple Store in Chestnuthill MA, and the manager said that the minimum age was 16, where as the manager at the Apple Store in Boston, said it was 18

and as for not looking old enough, most of the ppl in my youth orginization thought that I was a senior till I told them that I was an 8th grader last year....

Wilsnunn

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Sorry to bring this thread back from the past. But I am in a similar position.

I am 16, I was in the store talking about getting an iPad. The sales assistant was useless, I knew more than she did. She suggested I applied for a job. I asked about minimum age, and she said she didnt know.

I decided to have a little look online and found this:

"Prevention of Under Age Labor
Child labor is strictly prohibited. Suppliers shall not employ children. The minimum age for
employment or work shall be 15 years of age, the minimum age for employment in that country, or the
age for completing compulsory education in that country, whichever is higher. This Code does not
prohibit participation in legitimate workplace apprenticeship programs that are consistent with Article
6 of ILO Minimum Age Convention No. 138 or light work consistent with Article 7 of ILO Minimum
Age Convention No. 138.
Juvenile Labor
Suppliers may employ juveniles who are older than the applicable legal minimum age for employment
but are younger than 18 years of age, provided they do not perform work likely to jeopardize their
heath, safety, or morals, consistent with ILO Minimum Age Convention No. 138."

From: http://images.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/pdf/Supplier_Code_of_Conduct_V3_1.pdf

So there is your answer!

Daniel

JNB

macrumors 604
Sorry to bring this thread back from the past. But I am in a similar position.

I am 16, I was in the store talking about getting an iPad. The sales assistant was useless, I knew more than she did. She suggested I applied for a job. I asked about minimum age, and she said she didnt know.

I decided to have a little look online and found this:

"Prevention of Under Age Labor
Child labor is strictly prohibited. Suppliers shall not employ children. The minimum age for
employment or work shall be 15 years of age, the minimum age for employment in that country, or the
age for completing compulsory education in that country, whichever is higher. This Code does not
prohibit participation in legitimate workplace apprenticeship programs that are consistent with Article
6 of ILO Minimum Age Convention No. 138 or light work consistent with Article 7 of ILO Minimum
Age Convention No. 138.
Juvenile Labor
Suppliers may employ juveniles who are older than the applicable legal minimum age for employment
but are younger than 18 years of age, provided they do not perform work likely to jeopardize their
heath, safety, or morals, consistent with ILO Minimum Age Convention No. 138."

From: http://images.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/pdf/Supplier_Code_of_Conduct_V3_1.pdf

So there is your answer!

Daniel

That's for Apple's suppliers, not Apple themselves, in their own stores.

Atalia Santiago

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2021

Hello 2008,

I'm replying from 2021 to tell you that if you look up on Google the minimum age to work at Apple, they apply 18 year old's or over. I'm 17 and would love to work at an Apple Store one day. Not sure if I should wait till I'm 21 to get the job because I look like an 11 year old and still a senior in high school. Do they hire individuals who are under 17? The other replies are saying yes, but Google's answer is no sadly.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Apple store in Scotland(Glasgow) is 16 (like any other job you need to be an adult). It'll depend on what age you are an adult in your country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.