Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
http://www.business2.com/articles/web/0,1653,40395,FF.html

:rolleyes: These folks never learn. Here's my critique:

"What Steve Jobs did this week wasn't as silly as refusing to license Apple Computer's operating system or releasing an ill-fated computer that looked like a cube."

So not licensing Apple's operating system and keeping control over the integration between the hardware and software is a bad thing, eh? The cube, in retrospect, was a bomb. But you know what? People some twenty years ago derided the mouse, point-and-click feature, etc. as nonsense. Apple is one of the few PC makers with the guts to innovate, unlike the beige-box assemblers.

"But it was silly. The Turtlenecked One showed up at Apple's annual developers conference at the San Jose Convention Center and led the crowd in a mock funeral for Mac OS 9, complete with coffin, music (Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor"; several media outlets thought this information was important enough to mention), and a speech that showed even more condescension toward the past-its-prime operating system than Jobs usually shows toward his more profitable competitors."

'Profitable competitors?' Oh, you mean 'Profitable competitor' (i.e. Dell).

" . . . but it was the cheesy funeral that got the press's attention. SiliconValley.com and News.com led with the death notice, which was premature, since most Mac users have yet to upgrade to any version of OS X. But who cares? It's Steve Jobs on stage. He's a natural showman, and no matter what you think of his theatrics, he definitely got his message out."

I use OS X, and its use is accelerating. Many of the PCs I work with still use Windows 98 or even 95. So how come no one gives a damn about that, huh?

I just want to say that I'm not a Mac-zealot (I happily use the PC at work and I can see some of the Mac's shortcomings). But ever since I returned to the Macintosh community, I am beginning to see the media double-standard that every Mac user was talking about. Business 2.0 has written disparaging and inaccurate articles about Apple (except for this one: http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,38555,FF.html), and they are not alone and I am sick of reading them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.