Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a soon to be college student ordering my 15" Albook within a couple days. This will be my first laptop, and my first Mac. I'm getting the Airport and a BT mouse, so I think I'm covered for peripherals. Is there anything else you would suggest to a new Powerbook owner? .Mac? applecare?
You can imagine how anxious I am, what should I expect for shipping? (stock, from the online Apple Store), and what should I do to prepare my network? This will be the third item in my room demanding attention from my DSL modem, and I don't think switching plugs all the time is the solution. What kind of routers/hubs do you use with your Airport?

These forums have been a great tool in making my decision, and I will be (somewhat) pacified by them during that long wait from the credit card form to the FedEx guy at my door. Thanks for all your support in previous threads, I hope as my knowledge in OSX and Apple increases, I can give it all back.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Congrats on switching!

First things first: Don't buy RAM from Apple! There's nothing special about it (and it's incredibly easy to install RAM on your own), and it's overpriced.

Only get AppleCare if you think you'll really need it. My personal reccomendation would be to skip it, though.

.Mac is incredibly useful, and worth the $99. The webstorage is great (I use my iDisk to host the images I use at my website). If you've got the $99 to spend, you should go ahead and get it.

Obviously you'll want a good case, too. But I won't bother with suggestions. There are tons of threads about good laptop cases already around. Try searching the forums and looking through some of those suggestions.

As for other stuff, I'd say an iPod is becoming the greatest Mac gadget out there (especially once "Home on iPod" is added to Panther). I use my iPod to take files between home and school using the FireWire disk mode.

If you don't have the backlit keyboard (which is just so cool), you might want that USB Flylight gizmo (I think Belkin makes it). Though that's not particularly necessary.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your Powerbook. ;)

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: Ordering... Last minute suggestions?

Originally posted by Kingsnapped
Is there anything else you would suggest to a new Powerbook owner? .Mac? applecare?

Personally I love .Mac and would highly recommend it. It is pricey but if you're going to use all the features and member gifts it's well worth the price.

If you're buying with a student discount AppleCare isn't really worth getting since you'll receive the full 3 year hardware warranty anyway, though I don't think you get the extended phone support.

Oh yeah get an iPod while you're at it, if you can afford one ;) Aside from the music it comes in very handy as an external HDD for backups.

As to the rest of your questions I'm not really sure.

dr_fate

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2003
Re: Re: Ordering... Last minute suggestions?

Originally posted by Finiksa

If you're buying with a student discount AppleCare isn't really worth getting since you'll receive the full 3 year hardware warranty anyway, though I don't think you get the extended phone support.

Would you by chance know if that applies to purchases through the federal government employee store? Thanks.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
.Obviously you'll want a good case, too. But I won't bother with suggestions.

I will, Crumpler Wack-O-Phone or Very Busy Man. Accept no substitute.

That is all.

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Re: Re: Ordering... Last minute suggestions?

Originally posted by Finiksa

Hua?

Am I totally missing something here? Since when do education purchases receive a 3 year warranty? Could you please share where you got this information. I hope it's true, but I've never heard this before.

Thanks.

Elenita

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Congrats on the purchase. I have one of these myself (using it to type this post, in fact) and I love it. A few suggestions, however (in no especial order):

1. A case (or sleeve if you want to carry it around in your backpack). There are a million threads on this already, so I'll refrain from making a suggestion.
  2. If you're going to be using this as a desktop replacement, a laptop stand would be a good investment. Otherwise, you'll develop backaches from stooping to
    see the screen when it sits on your desk.
  3. iKlear wipes, though you don't necessarily need to order them right away. The Powerbook's aluminum finish shows fingerprints and stuff really easily, so these are nice to have when you want to make your laptop spiffy looking.
  4. A laptop lock, if you live in a dorm. Hopefully, you won't need it, but paying $40 now for peace of mind is much better than having your computer stolen.
    [/list=1]

Have fun and enjoy!

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: Re: Re: Ordering... Last minute suggestions?

Originally posted by KLFloyd
Hua?

Am I totally missing something here? Since when do education purchases receive a 3 year warranty? Could you please share where you got this information. I hope it's true, but I've never heard this before.

Thanks.

My bad!

Sorry, looks like it's three years for the Australian EDU store only. I just checked the sales policy for the US store it only lists one year.

dr_fate The Gov store policy also lists only one year.

Sorry to get your hopes up people.

pennae

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2003
Australia
Sorry, looks like it's three years for the Australian EDU store only. I just checked the sales policy for the US store it only lists one year.
YAY for being an Aussie!!!! Although the exchange rate makes it cheaper to buy a mac from the US (even with shipping!!) the included 3yr warranty for students here is just :p~~~~~~.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, this will serve as a desktop replacement. I'm not sure about the room I'll have in my dorm for an iCurve occupying valuble deskspace. Maybe I'll eventually cave and get a bluetooth keyboard, but until then this compaq usb one will do the job ;)
Two more quick questions (at the moment)
-Networking, (see origional post). How, and how much money?
-Does the Albook include a firewire to miniDV cable?
-Does it include a component video cable?
Thank you.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
-Does the Albook include a firewire to miniDV cable?

I assume you mean a 6 pin - 4 pin FireWire cable, No one isn't included.

-Does it include a component video cable?

Yes an S-video to composite adapter is included.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
networking

Plug the DSL into the WAN port on your Airport, and a regular hub (el cheapo) into the LAN port... the Airport will take care of assigning IP addresses and firewall duties, and your wired boxes will get the protection too.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
the Airport will take care of assigning IP addresses and firewall duties, and your wired boxes will get the protection too.
So I don't have to follow the radio shack loser's advice and get a router to run them all at once?
/noob

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Correct

So I don't have to follow the radio shack loser's advice and get a router to run them all at once?
/noob

Right. Short answer: Radshack sales drone didn't know the Airport had a pass-thru, or didn't care as the expensive router may have had a commission bonus. ;)

You want the Airport inbetween your DSL and everything else, and you don't need another expensive router, as the Airport already has a router built-in. A hub will do well for your needs beyond it. (There are some 3rd party wireless access points that have a 4-8 ports on the back for wired machines already built-in, negating the need for the extra hub. They're generally cheaper, but use their own configuration tools, usually accessible through your web browser.)

If you already have an Airport, then you look on the back and see two RJ45 ports, one with a circle of dots, one with <---> printed above it. With the Airport unplugged from power, plug the DSL into the circle of dots, and plug the hub into the <---> port. turn it on and wait until it completes its boot-up sequence. Make any adjustments as neccesary via the configuration panel (either Apple's Airport Administration Utility, located in the "utilities" folder within the "applications" folder... or the 3rd party's configuration panel via the webbrowser. Any changes you make will make the Aiport/WAP reboot.)

Now, all of your machines will have connection at the same time, will get an IP from the Airport, and be protected from outside prying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.