PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Stores?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MacRumors
Dec 5, 2003, 04:40 PM
Richard Bleicher consolidated this list of upcoming Apple Retail Store locations based on current Apple job listings:

Aventura-Aventura, FL, USA
Bethesda-Montgomery Mall-R084, MD, USA
Charlotte-Southpark, NC, USA
Mission Viejo-Mission Viejo, CA, USA
San Francisco-One Stockton, CA, USA
Tucson-La Encantada, AZ, USA

bennyek
Dec 5, 2003, 04:46 PM
I was in The Shops at mission viejo yesterday and saw the apple Construction Walls up. So things are moving along quickly.

yoman
Dec 5, 2003, 04:55 PM
more give me more.

stoid
Dec 5, 2003, 05:01 PM
GAHHHH!!!!

Still nothing in the mid-west!!

I am still 7 hours away from the nearest Apple Store!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

ThomasJefferson
Dec 5, 2003, 05:01 PM
Yes! WooHoo! Charlotte-Southpark, NC.
Come take my money Apple, bring it on home to me baby.

Joy in Mudville.

IIvan
Dec 5, 2003, 05:02 PM
Yeah! It would be great if there were an apple store remotely close to where I live- like even a couple hundred miles... Just to try out the stuff...

dr_fate
Dec 5, 2003, 05:03 PM
I think Providence, RI is the perfect location for an Apple store. Why does stupid California get so many?! ARGH. :(

zaphoyd
Dec 5, 2003, 05:06 PM
This brings the running total in California to 20 apple stores... isnt that a bit much

jaser
Dec 5, 2003, 05:10 PM
bennyek, thanks! that's the info i was looking for! i've been always asking myself, wouldn't it be nice to have an apple store over here in mission viejo?...now i don't have to go to the costa mesa store no longer! what floor/near what stores is the apple store located? i'm going to pass by the mall this weekend.

Doctor Q
Dec 5, 2003, 05:13 PM
Thank goodness! California was in imminent danger of running out of Apple stores! Actually, based on population, it's not silly to have so many in California. But if you live in Montana, I can see how it might be annoying.

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 05:16 PM
The Tuscan store is already open.
Their is new Store in Northpoint GA that just opened today.

There is suppose to be Apple Store opening next yr in Northern AL. mall thats being built. Because in recent newspaper ad it even had Apple Store listed as new client. Now if they can only put one in central AL. and I'll be happy.

zed
Dec 5, 2003, 05:24 PM
im sure eyelikeart would agree with me when i say:

NEW ORLEANS!!!!

There are tons of apple users here.

skymac
Dec 5, 2003, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if apple has any plans to build a store in Canada in the next few years (preferably toronto:D ) As it is right know my closest Apple store is in buffalo and o dont know if they even have one but iguess they do.
On anothere not its always great to see mpore and more opening all the time unfortunatly iv never hasd the pleasure of going to one, if only i was going to NYC on the holidays like i did last yr before i realized how good appl's really were. I just hope they dont ever screw up on a location and have to close it. its interesting the way alot of computer copmanys have moved to internet only and apple is trying to build as many stores as possible, thats a good thintg of course:)

FuzzyBallz
Dec 5, 2003, 05:33 PM
Finally, they open one in SF. It's about time. I was wondering what they're doing at that location for the past 6 months. BTW, the SF Apple Store will be just 1 block away from the hated CompUSA, which also sells Mac products. Death to CompUSA. Muahahha

kuyu
Dec 5, 2003, 05:35 PM
all we have here in lex is the stupid compusa. They have limited selection, and no one who works there seems to know anything.

I watched the wwdc feed and knew more about the pmac than the sales guy. Plus, he always neglects to mention that I qualify for a student discount. However, he finds time to reiterate that I can buy on CREDIT!! We need an apple store here.

MattG
Dec 5, 2003, 05:35 PM
Great. Another store on the OTHER coast of Florida. :(

Myself not included, there are a ton of people in this town with lots of money who would buy Apple's s*** UP. Build one here, Apple!!!

Char
Dec 5, 2003, 05:41 PM
Kick ass.. Bethesda-Montgomery Mall-R084, MD, USA. Isn't too far from me. Took long enough, Montgomery County is the second richest county in the US.. surprised they didn't put one here sooner. Fools. The Best Buy I work at, which is close to Bethesda, sells allot of high priced stuff like Plasma TVs and Computers every day. You all should have saw last friday.. people buying like three LCD monitors at a time and stuff.

supertex
Dec 5, 2003, 05:41 PM
Well if we're going by population, Texas is second only to California and I think it only has like three Apple Stores, two near (but not actually in) Dallas and one in Houston. I'm from San Antonio, and I think an Apple store there would do pretty well, but I can understand why there wouldn't be one, as San Antonians just don't seem to be Mac folks (makes me sad). But Apple has offices in Austin for crying out loud, it seems logical to me to have at least one there. Of course that assertion has nothing to do with the fact that I'd be less than an hour from it if there was one :D

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 05:45 PM
La Encantada, Tucson, AZ. -- should've been open by now unless they ran into set backs. Store was to be open before the end of 03'

Bethesda-Montgomery Mall, MD -- sometime in 04'

Aventura (mall), Aventura, FL.-- sometime in 04'

Charlotte - SouthPark, NC -- opening 4,000 square feet store in 04'

San Francisco, CA. -- Spring 2004 - labeled as an high profile store.

Eastern Shore Center, Spanish Fort, AL. -- Fall of 2004.

Mission Viejo, CA. -- 2004 - covered mall

Pioneer Place, Portland ,Oregon -- sometime in 04'

Carousel Center, Syracuse, NY -- sometime in 2004

Irvine Spectrum Center, Irvine, CA. -- Apple is currently neg. on the lease of this 880,000 square feet outdoor mall.

Regent Street, London, England -- sometime in 2004.

Osaka, Japan -- 2004 will feature the spiral glass staircase.

The North Point, Alpharetta, GA store opens tomorrow. They will be giving away 1,000 t-shirts and free demos of classes they will be giving.

~Shard~
Dec 5, 2003, 05:53 PM
How about some Apple Stores in Canada? ;) Ah well, just wishful thinking - if any stores did open up here, they would be in the large centers anyway, (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver), which still wouldn't do me any good. :)

snahabed
Dec 5, 2003, 06:02 PM
Ew! The Montgomery Mall in Bethesda is so ghetto! If Apple wanted to build in the DC metro region, outside of VA, then it should find space on M Street in Georgetown... THAT is the prime, high class, big bucks retail area in the region. People in Bethesda may have a lot of money, but I really don't think they spend it at that ghetto mall :)

Also, they REALLY need to get into Providence Place as soon as possible.

Silencio
Dec 5, 2003, 06:03 PM
Can't wait for the San Francisco store to open up. Stockton and Market is a pretty high-profile corner. I haven't driven by there in a couple of months, but they completely tore down the late-60s building that once stood there.

Not sure how far along in the reconstruction they are, but it'll be interesting to see how they designed a flagship store from scratch as opposed to the tasteful retrofits in NYC and Chicago.

Despite Apple stores in fairly nearby Emeryville and Burlingame, SF proper has a real dearth of stores that carry Apple products. A subterranean CompUSA is a block down Market Street from the new Apple Store location, and there's always the infamous MACadam: the store that's famously suing Apple to disguise the fact that it is a pathetic excuse for a business that shows Apple's products in a terribly shoddy light.

heuer007
Dec 5, 2003, 06:03 PM
wtf why arent they opening any in Canada. do they think were poor or that we live in igloos or somethin:mad: . wat a crock. Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver would do HUGE business. im in vancouver and I can just imagine a store on Robson st. would be ideal.

itmdramaguy
Dec 5, 2003, 06:04 PM
Why in the world will Apple not open a Apple Store in San Antonio, TX or Austin, TX. It is not easy to drive all the way from SA to Houston or Dallas.

Analog Kid
Dec 5, 2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dr_fate
I think Providence, RI is the perfect location for an Apple store. Why does stupid California get so many?! ARGH. :(

Because stupid California is where one in 8 Americans live.

I think if you look at Mac density, CA probably isn't so surprising.

What's surprising to me is that there isn't one in SF yet! There are at least 3 on the peninsula, and none in the City...

rdowns
Dec 5, 2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Thank goodness! California was in imminent danger of running out of Apple stores! Actually, based on population, it's not silly to have so many in California. But if you live in Montana, I can see how it might be annoying.

I agree,living in Montana would be annoying.

edit:typo

Mr.Hey
Dec 5, 2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by itmdramaguy
Why in the world will Apple not open a Apple Store in San Antonio, TX or Austin, TX. It is not easy to drive all the way from SA to Houston or Dallas.

you mean the republican state? :D . You won't be receiving any Apple stores until you cease and decease from producing people like G.Bush :p

barbaloot
Dec 5, 2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah I go by the SF store everyday on my way to work. It's going to be pretty amazing. I hope they do the giant spinning apple sign like in Japan. The building that was there before was huge. I can only imagine what apple will do with a brand new building on the site. Right now the outside framing is up and they are starting to cover that will black fabric.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 5, 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by stoid
GAHHHH!!!!

ERR I know!! What is their problem with the midwest?! I'm a good 300+ miles away from an Apple Store.

FARGO, ND APPLE STORE!! We have the biggest shopping center inbetween Minneapolis and Seattle!

supertex
Dec 5, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
you mean the republican state? :D . You won't be receiving any Apple stores until you cease and decease from producing people like G.Bush :p

Oh, I understand now, producing incapable politicians=no Apple stores!

That explains why Arkansas has three fewer than Texas for a total of 0, but not why California (which was responsible for the stellar Gray Davis and some absolutely brilliant energy policy) has near twenty now. Please, Apple is about business and not politics. If you'd like to make a political statement, do it with your vote or in the politics forum, but not here.

Fer cryin' in the beer folks...;)

P.S. - it's cease and desist, but I'm sure you, in your infinite enlightenment, already knew that...

ThomasJefferson
Dec 5, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by heuer007
why arent they opening any in Canada. do they think ... we live in igloos or somethin...
Yep.

mislabeledstar
Dec 5, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Silencio
and there's always the infamous MACadam: the store that's famously suing Apple to disguise the fact that it is a pathetic excuse for a business that shows Apple's products in a terribly shoddy light.

i live a block from that store........ i can't even bother going in there to window shop.... besides the fact their prices are so high i can't afford to shop there......... most of their games are 50% higher than other places

skymac
Dec 5, 2003, 07:24 PM
why arent they opening any in Canada. do they think ... we live in igloos or somethin..
Originally posted by ThomasJefferson
Yep.

:mad:
Seriously though, a nice big apple store in dowtown toronto would flourish, id go down every weekend and admire the new products that i cant afford or dont need, wich is pretty much what i do at the resellers near me (i stand there and look at the ipods(damn it when mine going to arrive) and g5s etc for hours)but an apple store would be so much bigger and more complete with every product and stuff. the one disad to building one in downtown toronto would be it would drive half the resellers under.:eek:

rdowns
Dec 5, 2003, 07:25 PM
quote:
why arent they opening any in Canada. do they think ... we live in igloos or somethin...

Yep.

Nothing to do with igloos although maybe the iMac dome was inspred by them. Has everything to do with sending Celine Dion here. Take her back and Apple Stores are yours.

skymac
Dec 5, 2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
quote:

Nothing to do with igloos although maybe the iMac dome was inspred by them. Has everything to do with sending Celine Dion here. Take her back and Apple Stores are yours.

NEVER.......but ill help ship her off to the south pole er something ;)

ThomasJefferson
Dec 5, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
quote:
Has everything to do with sending Celine Dion here. Take her back and Apple Stores are yours.

I guess Canada does deserve an Apple Store. How about locating it in the greater downtown area of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Dont Hurt Me
Dec 5, 2003, 07:41 PM
South Carolina still has 0 Apple stores, we may have Columbia,Charleston and Hilton Head but we aint got no Apple store! just thought id mention it in case Steve Jobs is looking in tonight.

Hemingray
Dec 5, 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by bennyek
I was in The Shops at mission viejo yesterday and saw the apple Construction Walls up. So things are moving along quickly.

MISSION VIEJO!! HALLELUJAH!!!! :D :D :D

Finally, I don't have to drive all the way up to Fashion Island... yay! :cool:

bastardx
Dec 5, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81

Pioneer Place, Portland ,Oregon -- sometime in 04'

Um, that doesn't make any sense, they already have a store in Washington Square. according to http://www.apple.com/retail/washingtonsquare . So unless they want multiple stores in the Portland area, I don't think that would happen.

coolbreeze
Dec 5, 2003, 08:03 PM
If Apple had any sense, they'd put an Apple store on King street in downtown Charleston, SC. It is a very hip and trendy place, and is in need of an Apple store. Every time anyone sees my iBook they are full of questions. Everyone loves it, but doesn't know where they can try one out. People want to buy Macs in Charleston (and the entire state for that matter) but not simply based on photos online. Apple would make a killing here.

We have a Saks, Pottery Barn, Gucci, all the upscale trendy places. Every women wears Seven jeans here. This is a very cosmopolitan city, and is perfect for the Apple brand. (I'm being marginally sarcastic here, but Apple would fit in).

If you've ever been here you will understand what I'm saying. Sure Charlotte is only 3 hrs away, but Charlotte is trying too hard to be a "young professional" "big-city." It's manufactured. Charleston is real.

Just my 2 cents. But 3 hrs away is better than Atlanta, at 5 hrs.

djtet, do you agree? We actually spoke about this via email several months ago.

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by bastardx
Um, that doesn't make any sense, they already have a store in Washington Square. according to http://www.apple.com/retail/washingtonsquare . So unless they want multiple stores in the Portland area, I don't think that would happen.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html

Here they have the current job listings.
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/job_store_list.html

MacCoaster
Dec 5, 2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
South Carolina still has 0 Apple stores, we may have Columbia,Charleston and Hilton Head but we aint got no Apple store! just thought id mention it in case Steve Jobs is looking in tonight.
How far do you live from Charlotte? Didn't you see they're building one for Charlotte. Should be good for people within one hour from Charlotte.

Though for southern South Carolina, dunno. SC doesn't have that much people nor does it have any real major cities like NC does.

Edit: Totally forgot to ask, but the Charlotte one is supposed to be 4,000 square foot? Wow, how large are the flagship Apple Store? Is 4,000 square foot enough for a flagship Apple Store? Just curious.

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 08:20 PM
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/photos/store_map.jpg
This shows all the stores for this yr and possible future stores.

Take for instance my state AL.
I know we've got one store on the way next yr. On this map it's represented by a orange dot. So this means the orange dots will be places were Apple plan's to open a store in 04'. Yellow to me then would represent future stores maybe 05' and beyond. Right now it looks good for me because if they put two more stores in our state by 2005 then it will only be like a 40 min drive for me to both stores.

Dont Hurt Me
Dec 5, 2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by coolbreeze
If Apple had any sense, they'd put an Apple store on King street in downtown Charleston, SC. It is a very hip and trendy place, and is in need of an Apple store. Every time anyone sees my iBook they are full of questions. Everyone loves it, but doesn't know where they can try one out. People want to buy Macs in Charleston (and the entire state for that matter) but not simply based on photos online. Apple would make a killing here.

We have a Saks, Pottery Barn, Gucci, all the upscale trendy places. Every women wears Seven jeans here. This is a very cosmopolitan city, and is perfect for the Apple brand. (I'm being marginally sarcastic here, but Apple would fit in).

If you've ever been here you will understand what I'm saying. Sure Charlotte is only 3 hrs away, but Charlotte is trying too hard to be a "young professional" "big-city." It's manufactured. Charleston is real.

Just my 2 cents. But 3 hrs away is better than Atlanta, at 5 hrs.

djtet, do you agree? We actually spoke about this via email several months ago. Im in Beaufort right next to Hilton Head home of the rich & famous and the Golf lover. how many Apple stores? not a one. Anyone ever hear of this place? no wonder Bill Gates is top dog when Apple computer has yet to figure this out. In the whole state not 1.:confused: also itr81 what the heck are those dots in South Carolina because they sure as hell arent apple stores.

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 08:35 PM
Im in Beaufort right next to Hilton Head home of the rich & famous and the Golf lover. how many Apple stores? not a one. Anyone ever hear of this place? no wonder Bill Gates is top dog when Apple computer has yet to figure this out. In the whole state not 1.:confused: also itr81 what the heck are those dots in South Carolina because they sure as hell arent apple stores.

This is showing future expansion of the Apple stores. Besides the current ones being added this yr.

Dont Hurt Me
Dec 5, 2003, 08:45 PM
if so we have a dot? lets hope it happens

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 08:49 PM
I know for a fact the orange dot in my state is in the same location they have said the new store will be. But since I have no idea of what the yellow means I can only guess 05' stores or possible stores as they maybe neg. leases and such.

latergator116
Dec 5, 2003, 08:50 PM
Right on. Providence NEEDS an Apple store. In fact, I cant think of anywhere in Providence where you can buy a Mac, besides an iPod at Filenes which doesn't count.

NinjaMonkey
Dec 5, 2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by snahabed
Ew! The Montgomery Mall in Bethesda is so ghetto! If Apple wanted to build in the DC metro region, outside of VA, then it should find space on M Street in Georgetown... THAT is the prime, high class, big bucks retail area in the region. People in Bethesda may have a lot of money, but I really don't think they spend it at that ghetto mall :)

I agree with that I would never go over to that hole in the earth. Columbia Mall or White Flint wouldn't be so bad. Or some place downtown. But Montgomery mall is just nasty.

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 08:55 PM
Now if you notice in TX. we have big splotches of yellow instead of dots. My guess these will be flagship stores or main shipping hub, or alot smaller stores in one area...like in CA.

The map is from a site that is dedicated to all Apple Store info. They even have info on where Apples furniture and such came from and who designed the looks and so forth.

Sayhey
Dec 5, 2003, 09:05 PM
The ifo AppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) site is a great place for information. Apple has been releasing information on the stores in a very tight lipped manner. The statements of the executives had been fairly accurate until this latest announcement by CFO Anderson about there being 74 stores before Thanksgiving. Two of the stores, the Alpharetta and Tucson stores were delayed until this month for reasons that remain unknown.

If you want to know about possible sites for future stores the map ITR 81 has posted is a good resource but there are also a few trends that might help. First it is obvious that Apple's decision on store placement have to do where there is the greatest population. If you look at the metropolitan areas with the greatest populations in the US you get these stats:
1 - of the 35 largest metropolitan areas in the US (not counting Puerto Rico) 29 of them have an Apple store or will have before May 2004.

2 - of the 50 largest metropolitan areas 35 have or will have a store by the same time frame.

3 - of the 7 largest metropolitan areas 6 have at least 4 stores with Philadelphia the only one with only two.

Pittsburgh is the largest metro area without an Apple store. The smallest to date will be #57 largest area, Tucson (or if you believe the rumors Syracuse or Spanish Fort - the last a very speculative one.)

It is clear that Apple has made a decision to concentrate the stores in the areas with the greatest population and not to cover the country in terms of each state. Right now 27 of the 50 states have a store.

The "high profile" stores are extremely expensive for Apple (look to Apple's Quarterly statements on their website for information on just how expensive) and the number of sites for such stores (currently New York, LA, Chicago, and soon to be San Francisco in the US and Tokyo and soon to be Osaka in Japan) is very limited according to Ron Johnson (head of Apple's retail strategy.) My guess of the US locations only Washington, Philadelphia, or Boston has much chance of such a store soon. The rumored London (Regent Street) store will be a high profile location as well as any other new foreign locations. What this means is it is likely that there will be only two to three a year tops.

As to the other stores, Apples has place an emphasis on making the stores profitable unlike the effort of Gateway that over expanded and just about drove the company to financial ruin. It has been a consistent approximately 20 stores a year so far, but that will not mean a move to the kind of numbers Gateway has now (about 175, if I remember right).

One way to know about future sites is to look to locations of Mall property owners that Apple has already opened stores with. Apple has made deals with the mall developers Simon, Westfield, and Macerich, so if you have one of these malls near you your odds of getting a store are much greater.

edit: spelling and a few corrections.

IIvan
Dec 5, 2003, 09:13 PM
It's really too bad that there are relatively few Apple stores- even in this small city there is one of those damn stupid gateway country stores :rolleyes:

Those things have got to be the ugliest stores I have ever seen!!!

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 09:27 PM
Well I know they are building one in Spanish Fort because it's a new mall and it was even listed in the local paper there.

But I live more central in the state so it doesn't really help me much. But I know they should put one here where I live because right now we are the 6th largest growing county in the US with over 15,000 new people coming in every yr.

Sayhey
Dec 5, 2003, 09:32 PM
Well I know they are building one in Spanish Fort because it's a new mall and it was even listed in the local paper there.

But I live more central in the state so it doesn't really help me much. But I know they should put one here where I live because right now we are the 6th largest growing county in the US with over 15,000 new people coming in every yr.

May I ask what paper you saw it in? I've only seen this rumored location from ThinkSecret's listing and a few sites I've forwarded the info to. I'd love to see it confirmed by a local article. That would be by far the smallest metro area (Mobile #78) that Apple has decided to put a store in.

autrefois
Dec 5, 2003, 09:34 PM
I would think Apple would like to say that they have stores in all 50 states...

Sayhey
Dec 5, 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by autrefois
I would think Apple would like to say that they have stores in all 50 states...

I'm sure they would as well, but only if those stores can be profitable. A store is a substantial outlay of capital and with the leases Apple is signing it means they are tied in for considerable lengths of time. That means you have to have a population base to justify the commitments of money.

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
May I ask what paper you saw it in? I've only seen this rumored location from ThinkSecret's listing and a few sites I've forwarded the info to. I'd love to see it confirmed by a local article. That would be by far the smallest metro area (Mobile #78) that Apple has decided to put a store in.

It was in the Mobile Register sometime ago. When the mall was being talked about. They showed artist drawing of it with stores names on it. One of them was Apple Store. I believe the only reason is because it's within 50 miles of Pensacola, FL. and Biloxi, MS. both pretty good size cities. Basically Apple hit's 3 cities this way.

g4pismo
Dec 5, 2003, 09:53 PM
>>ITR 81
The North Point, Alpharetta, GA store opens tomorrow. They will be giving away 1,000 t-shirts and free demos of classes they will be giving. <<

Guess I know what i am doing tomorrow :-)

Sayhey
Dec 5, 2003, 09:55 PM
It was in the Mobile Register sometime ago. When the mall was being talked about. They showed artist drawing of it with stores names on it. One of them was Apple Store. I believe the only reason is because it's within 50 miles of Pensacola, FL. and Biloxi, MS. both pretty good size cities. Basically Apple hit's 3 cities this way.

Thanks I'll look it up. A very good point about the three metro areas being so close. They add up to over 1.3 million people in the area which makes a lot of sense for Apple. The previous low for a single metro area, Tucson, is about 850,000 people so it seems a smart move by Apple.

Analog Kid
Dec 5, 2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray C:\WINDOWS>deltree /y C:\*.* [/B]

Does DOS even support the deltree command any more? Last I remember, they stripped every useful command out of the DOS shell...

In true MS style, you'll have to delete Windows directory by directory..

Or dual-boot Darwin and rm -rf /Windows
;)

ITR 81
Dec 5, 2003, 10:12 PM
I tried looking it up but I can't seem to find it anymore online. The one I saw was in the actual paper not online.
AL. site only takes the paper back 2 weeks from todays date.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the place down their is called the Riviera Center Outlet Mall. They have like 120+ shops there and I know for a fact they have room for more shops because they are still offering new leases. If I remember correctly it's only like 10 mins from the beach, about 8 to 7 miles.

I found a ph# to the place so I may try to call them next week if I have time to see if they will tell me if Apple Store is coming into it's mall. Though they may not tell me anything as Apple doesn't like folks to spread news about them until they are ready to deliver it.

Sayhey
Dec 5, 2003, 10:24 PM

I put this rumor in a thread a while ago and from what I can find out I think Pioneer Place was the first choice in the Portland area but it fell through. The Tigard location is the backup. Not that Apple doesn't like to put more than one store in large metro areas.

Dippo
Dec 5, 2003, 10:25 PM
FINALLY

The store in Southpark (Charlotte, NC) is just like 15 minutes from my house. I can't wait!!!

Sayhey
Dec 5, 2003, 10:30 PM
I tried looking it up but I can't seem to find it anymore online. The one I saw was in the actual paper not online.
AL. site only takes the paper back 2 weeks from todays date.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the place down their is called the Riviera Center Outlet Mall. They have like 120+ shops there and I know for a fact they have room for more shops because they are still offering new leases. If I remember correctly it's only like 10 mins from the beach, about 8 to 7 miles.

I found a ph# to the place so I may try to call them next week if I have time to see if they will tell me if Apple Store is coming into it's mall. Though they may not tell me anything as Apple doesn't like folks to spread news about them until they are ready to deliver it.

I'm sure you're right, it is just you're the first person I've heard that can confirm ThinkSecret's story. I'm glad to hear it. I looked as well at the Register's website and had the same problem you had. The rumor from ThinkSecret was for a Fall 2004 opening so the Mall's site is not likely to have anything yet. If you hear or see anything let me know and I'll do the same. Thanks again.

PuterSaurus
Dec 5, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by zed
im sure eyelikeart would agree with me when i say:

NEW ORLEANS!!!!

There are tons of apple users here.

Can't me as one. Well outside NO that is; but close enough.

Sayhey
Dec 5, 2003, 11:45 PM
These are the top ten metro areas without a single Apple store or an announced impending store and therefore some of the more likely new areas to get a store within the next year.

1 - Pittsburgh, PA

2 - Kansas City, MO

3 - San Antonio, TX

4 - Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA

5 - New Orleans, LA

6 - Salt Lake City, UT

7 - Greenboro/Winston-Salem, NC

8 - Austin, TX

9 - Nashville, TN

10 - Providence, RI

There are certainly other factors that go into where Apple decides to place a store, but population seems to be number one.

elo
Dec 5, 2003, 11:58 PM
I'm writing from Pittsburgh right now. It is weird that we don't have an Apple store. My PowerBook gets some very positive attention, but there's really nowhere in town (that I know of) to go for Apple gear. Apple, if you're listening, look into the Walnut St. shops area. It's perfect for an Apple Store.

Toronto and Austin seem like high-priority cities, too.

elo

Char
Dec 6, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by supertex
Well if we're going by population, Texas is second only to California and I think it only has like three Apple Stores, two near (but not actually in) Dallas and one in Houston. I'm from San Antonio, and I think an Apple store there would do pretty well, but I can understand why there wouldn't be one, as San Antonians just don't seem to be Mac folks (makes me sad). But Apple has offices in Austin for crying out loud, it seems logical to me to have at least one there. Of course that assertion has nothing to do with the fact that I'd be less than an hour from it if there was one :D

Actually Im going by wealth of the population. Statistically, everyone in montgomery county maryland makes more money then any other county in the US other then one of those famous ones in California. Im not sure which one. You can go check it on one of those government statistic sites, I saw it before. Plus on black friday before the meeting one of the managers at the store meeting pointed that out in a sentence, "This store is in the second richest county in this country other then blehbleh California, I expect to see everyone walking out with plasma tvs or computers or" on, wasn't exactly sure of everything he said in that sentence. lol

And actually.. Im not too sure how many people here but out of everyone I know that really into computers in this stare, which is only like four including myself. 3/4ths of them have Macs. One was even the network admin of Rockville and currently has a 17 inch PowerBook, a Dual 2Ghz G5, and a 40 gig iPod.

Java
Dec 6, 2003, 12:06 AM

Correction, the mall is open, the Apple Store is not. Check the link on Apple's site, it is not even working.

http://www.apple.com/retail/tucson/

bousozoku
Dec 6, 2003, 12:13 AM
Why in the world is there another store in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Palm Beach/Boca Raton area?

You'd think they'd work on getting consumers extended warranties instead of selling them machines without them. :eek:

sen_almighty
Dec 6, 2003, 12:47 AM
Wat bout canada?!?!

we NEED one here in Toronto!!

bennyek
Dec 6, 2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by jaser
bennyek, thanks! that's the info i was looking for! i've been always asking myself, wouldn't it be nice to have an apple store over here in mission viejo?...now i don't have to go to the costa mesa store no longer! what floor/near what stores is the apple store located? i'm going to pass by the mall this weekend.

The store is upstairs next door to t-mobile
near nordstroms
From what the guys at t-mobile say the apple store will be open just after the new year!?
We'll see.

Mav451
Dec 6, 2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Char
Kick ass.. Bethesda-Montgomery Mall-R084, MD, USA. Isn't too far from me. Took long enough, Montgomery County is the second richest county in the US.. surprised they didn't put one here sooner. Fools. The Best Buy I work at, which is close to Bethesda, sells allot of high priced stuff like Plasma TVs and Computers every day. You all should have saw last friday.. people buying like three LCD monitors at a time and stuff.

i wuz wondering just how long it'd be till a nother MD guy would post...yeah, i'm wondering where its gonna be. Is it actually gonna be inside Montgomery Mall?

BaghdadBob
Dec 6, 2003, 02:44 AM
Charlotte? Aint them dumb rednecks too busy skimping on ketchup and watching NASCAR to be into fruity computers?

Instead of trying to diversify their market into North Carolina, Apple should be opening two more Apple stores in the bay area. Not just one. That's stupid.

DarkPhoenixCA
Dec 6, 2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Silencio
Can't wait for the San Francisco store to open up. Stockton and Market is a pretty high-profile corner. I haven't driven by there in a couple of months, but they completely tore down the late-60s building that once stood there.

Not sure how far along in the reconstruction they are, but it'll be interesting to see how they designed a flagship store from scratch as opposed to the tasteful retrofits in NYC and Chicago.

Despite Apple stores in fairly nearby Emeryville and Burlingame, SF proper has a real dearth of stores that carry Apple products. A subterranean CompUSA is a block down Market Street from the new Apple Store location, and there's always the infamous MACadam: the store that's famously suing Apple to disguise the fact that it is a pathetic excuse for a business that shows Apple's products in a terribly shoddy light.

I go by the corner of Stockton and Market every work day. Union Square is still one of the country's premier retail districts, and Apple is going to have plenty of good company: Virgin Megastore, Nordstrom & San Francisco Centre, and Bloomingdale's flagship West Coast store.

I expect this Apple Store to be a showcase for the company, like the one on North Michigan Ave in Chicago. I'm hoping it'll be done in time for Macworld SF!

Mr. G4
Dec 6, 2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey

Why because he's a Mac user :D

supertex
Dec 6, 2003, 03:26 AM
hmmm.... this may be because it's late and I'm tired, but does anybody else think the entrances to the Ginza store make that front portion look suspiciously like an aluminum cube?

mmmm.... need the sleep....

BaghdadBob
Dec 6, 2003, 03:36 AM
wtf why arent they opening any in Canada. do they think were poor or that we live in igloos or somethin:mad: . wat a crock. Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver would do HUGE business. im in vancouver and I can just imagine a store on Robson st. would be ideal.
Duh :rolleyes: everyone knows Eskimos don't buy MACS

Sunrunner
Dec 6, 2003, 05:19 AM
Somehow I don't think I will be getting an Apple store here in the Kansas City/Omaha region anytime soon...:rolleyes:

scottkleinberg
Dec 6, 2003, 05:56 AM
Rhode Island doesn't really need an apple store. You all can just walk over to Connecticut or Massachusetts. :)

Seriously, how can there not be an apple store in Pittsburgh, PA? We are the silicon valley of the east. What a joke. Cleveland has an ugly apple store. I'll even take an ugly one!!

Sunrunner
Dec 6, 2003, 06:08 AM
Ugly is fine, I second that! Just give me one. We don't want Apple to fall into the "Gateway" trap though, opening too many stores and then getting crushed by the overhead.

CrackedButter
Dec 6, 2003, 06:39 AM
Here are some more possible store locations for Apple Stores

London - England

Manchester - England

Paris - France

Berlin - Germany

Madrid - Spain

I'm sure there are others, trouble is they are also outside the world of the USA.

Centris 650
Dec 6, 2003, 06:47 AM

AMEN! With the Charlotte store we will have 2 above us in NC (The Durham store is a good 4+ hours away from Columbia) and 2 below in GA (the Atlanta store is a good 3.5 hours away from Columbia). The good news is Charlotte is only about 2 hours away.

What's Steve got against SC? We said we were sorry for that whole Civil War thingy.

whfsdude
Dec 6, 2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by snahabed
then it should find space on M Street in Georgetown...

Yeah I think Georgetown would have been a much better place to build an apple store, or downtown by GW University.

+ There is already an Apple Store in Bethesda - http://macupgrades.com/

settledown
Dec 6, 2003, 08:58 AM
Elo had a good suggestion at the Walnut St. shops in the Shadyside area of Pittsburgh. But here a couple more.
-South Hills Galleria
-Monroeville (home of the famous Monroeville Mall)
-Sewickley (rich section)
Downtown
-North Shore (home of the 2 new sports stadiums)
-The Waterfront (a new shopping district in town)
-Oakland (home of the Univ. of Pittsburgh Panthers)

There are more, but Apple can contact me directly for location selection consulting.

coolbreeze
Dec 6, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Charlotte? Aint them dumb rednecks too busy skimping on ketchup and watching NASCAR to be into fruity computers?

Instead of trying to diversify their market into North Carolina, Apple should be opening two more Apple stores in the bay area. Not just one. That's stupid.
Please, there are rednecks in every corner of this country. I travel to a different city every couple weeks, and know firsthand how the "redneck" stereotype is not specific to the South. I've seen some of the most hideous rednecks in upstate NY. I've seen some homely folks with NASCAR stickers in your beautiful state of WA (when I was working at Keyport). And Maryland, Virginia, and Ohio. I could go on forever.

My point is if you leave any city (where Apple places it's stores ) you will find rednecks. Bottom line. I don't care where you are. So, get out more and see the world. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Apple needs stores in the South (besides just Atlanta) to diversify it's brand. The type of people in the South that would buy a Mac are just like you and everyone else that owns a Mac. Bubba and Skeeter will never be in the market for an Apple, even if a Dual G5 is given to them free.

By the way, please don't come to Charleston. You will not want to leave, and we have enough transplants here already!!:cool:

ITR 81
Dec 6, 2003, 10:01 AM
I live in the south and in our state the majority of the people make between 40-50k a yr on avg. The next highest groups are folks that make 30-40k and 50k-60k a yr. So yeah we rednecks can afford a Mac.

Also their are alot business owners in the South that make more then you and I will ever make in our entire life times.
My parents use to run a restaurant up until 6 months ago and with just one they pulled in around 140k a yr.

My next job if I get it will give me between 75-100k a yr.
If I have to choose another basic computer job I'll atleast get paid 60k a yr.
Remember the cost of living in the South is alot lower then say in San Fran. The house I'm living in now in San Fran. would cost you around 15 mil. accordin to my real estate friend in San Fran. and that doesn't even include our 9 acres of land.

supertex
Dec 6, 2003, 10:19 AM
I resent that redneck remark thank you very much. when I'm not at school, I live 45 minutes from San Antonio out in the hill country, we raise cattle and farm hay, I can operate a tractor, and have plowed and planted our fields many times. I can shoot better than most folks could ever hope to, and you'd better not say anything bad about my girlfriend, my pickup truck, or my operating system.

Just ask my friends who are unfortunate enough to use windows ;)

latergator116
Dec 6, 2003, 10:27 AM
Rhode Island doesn't really need an apple store. You all can just walk over to Connecticut or Massachusetts.

The Connecticut store is about an hour and 45 minutes away and the nearest Massachuests stire is about an hour away with no traffic. People arent willing to drive more than an hour just for an Apple store.

PyroTurtle
Dec 6, 2003, 10:46 AM
the mission viejo store doesn't open till february. like, the middle of the month.

sushi
Dec 6, 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by supertex
hmmm.... this may be because it's late and I'm tired, but does anybody else think the entrances to the Ginza store make that front portion look suspiciously like an aluminum cube?
The intent is for the Ginza Apple Store to resemble a PowerMac G5.

Sushi

kemck
Dec 6, 2003, 11:33 AM
Connecticut has some of the most affluent cities and towns in the United States and all we have is one store way up north, closer to Massachusetts than Connecticut.

Or we have to drive to White Plains, New York or take the train to the store in New York City.

Come guys get with the program, maybe if Apple had some retail marketers helping make decisions things would be different.

How about Milford, centerally located or Stamford, Connecticut.

Sayhey
Dec 6, 2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Centris 650
AMEN! With the Charlotte store we will have 2 above us in NC (The Durham store is a good 4+ hours away from Columbia) and 2 below in GA (the Atlanta store is a good 3.5 hours away from Columbia). The good news is Charlotte is only about 2 hours away.

What's Steve got against SC? We said we were sorry for that whole Civil War thingy.

I don't think Steve is some kind of reincarnation of Sherman. He really doesn't hate the South, IMHO. As I read it, the problem in South Carolina is simple - you folks aren't making enough babies! So get busy if you want an Apple store. And convince your friends while you're at it - in fact invite them along ... no, no that is a San Francisco solution, sorry. :D

Seriously, SC's biggest population center is the Greenville - Spartanburg area and it is only 51st in the nation. There are 3 areas with smaller population that have stores (and a few more planned), but where would you put a store - Greenville or Honolulu?

I'm sure Apple also takes in to account the demographics of an area. Where are the parts of your state with the most young professionals most likely to spend disposable income on new computers? Your college towns are always a good bet.

Just hang on, Apple's strategy is for a slow, steady expansion that will sustain itself. Apple will be marching in any time now - and not to burn down Columbia.

latergator116
Dec 6, 2003, 12:21 PM
They should out a store in Greenwhoch,Conecticut --- wealthiest city in America.

hesitaliandad
Dec 6, 2003, 01:02 PM
with all the music and video production that goes on in Nashville, i am shocked that Apple has not planned to open one here. all the people i know that work in the music business all use macs. but i think that the stores are more geared to average users than professionals. i can still dream of an Apple store though.

Sayhey
Dec 6, 2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hesitaliandad
with all the music and video production that goes on in Nashville, i am shocked that Apple has not planned to open one here. all the people i know that work in the music business all use macs. but i think that the stores are more geared to average users than professionals. i can still dream of an Apple store though.

As the story goes, as I understand it, Nashville was one of the earliest of Apple's planned openings of a retail store. However, they couldn't get the variance on local ordinances over the types of signs used in Apple’s stores. So Apple moved on. I can't imagine that they have given up on Nashville, though.

Char
Dec 6, 2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Mav451
i wuz wondering just how long it'd be till a nother MD guy would post...yeah, i'm wondering where its gonna be. Is it actually gonna be inside Montgomery Mall?

Most likely inside the mall. Thats why it says "Montgomery Mall" instead of just the city. Plus the other one in Maryland is inside the mall.

ITR 81
Dec 6, 2003, 03:16 PM
As the story goes, as I understand it, Nashville was one of the earliest of Apple's planned openings of a retail store. However, they couldn't get the variance on local ordinances over the types of signs used in Apple’s stores. So Apple moved on. I can't imagine that they have given up on Nashville, though.

Correct alot states do not allow signs to be displayed that are flashy, neon, or lude and rude. The reason for this is the fear people will pay more attention to flashy signs then the actual road and cause an accident. Apple will probably have toned down signs for cities and states like this.
In our college town we can have lighted signs in neon but nothing lude or big and flashing. Some cities require signs to be certain size as well because some don't want see type of signs seen in places like Las Vegas.

Sayhey
Dec 6, 2003, 03:26 PM
Correct alot states do not allow signs to be displayed that are flashy, neon, or lude and rude. The reason for this is the fear people will pay more attention to flashy signs then the actual road and cause an accident. Apple will probably have toned down signs for cities and states like this.
In our college town we can have lighted signs in neon but nothing lude or big and flashing. Some cities require signs to be certain size as well because some don't want see type of signs seen in places like Las Vegas.

Apple also has two other new factors going for them in the pursuit of a Nashville store. First, they are now hot as a retail property. Malls now want them as a tenant as opposed to when they just started this effort and no one knew how it would go. Second, Apple also now has a certain native son of Tennessee on its board of directors that just might have some pull in Nashville. I can't believe it is not going to happen.

mgargan1
Dec 6, 2003, 04:23 PM
if anyone here know's MoCo Maryland, then they would realize that montgomery mall is too close to Tyson's Corner... I think that should put the store in a LakeForset, or Columbia Mall... Montgomery is really close to Tysons... That's just my opinion... also White Flint is a good choice...

coolbreeze
Dec 6, 2003, 06:22 PM
When I visited the SoHo store in NYC several months ago, I had to practically stare at the building to realize it was the Apple Store.

If that isn't conservative enough for Nashville, I don't know what is.

EDIT. Oh, you mean inside the store?? What in the world? In the display windows? That must be an old, outdated ordinance.

Sayhey
Dec 6, 2003, 07:24 PM
When I visited the SoHo store in NYC several months ago, I had to practically stare at the building to realize it was the Apple Store.

If that isn't conservative enough for Nashville, I don't know what is.

EDIT. Oh, you mean inside the store?? What in the world? In the display windows? That must be an old, outdated ordinance.

Here's a link (http://www.ibookzone.com/news/arc7-2001.shtml) to the 8/5/01 report of the original controversy. It is suppose to be from a MacCentral report but I didn't bother to look through their archives.

Today, MacCentral reported on a number of fairly interesting issues. First, Mac dealers have received the 867MHz Power Macs a week before they were expected, which is definitely a good move on Apple's part. Second, the Apple store planned for a Nashville location may be scrapped because city ordinance in the suburb Apple is planning for prohibits internally lit signs, as well as food signs (!). Apple is still looking for a way around the ordinance, or a variance on it. In addition to that, Apple is discontinuing the KidSafe service in iTools because of a lack of usage. I leave you with that...

coolsoldier
Dec 6, 2003, 07:40 PM
I want to see an Apple store in Albuquerque!

Never gonna happen, though. We don't even have a reseller. :(

Best I can hope for is that there'll eventually be one back home in Louisiana. Although from what I've heard Baton Rouge's reseller is apparently closed now too.

D0ct0rteeth
Dec 6, 2003, 08:10 PM
Apple also has two other new factors going for them in the pursuit of a Nashville store. First, they are now hot as a retail property. Malls now want them as a tenant as opposed to when they just started this effort and no one knew how it would go. Second, Apple also now has a certain native son of Tennessee on its board of directors that just might have some pull in Nashville. I can't believe it is not going to happen.

Yeah.. I am dying for a store in Nashville too!! where would they do it?

Over in Cool Springs? Opry Mills? Belle Meade?

- Doc

winmacguy
Dec 7, 2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
Here are some more possible store locations for Apple Stores

London - England

Manchester - England

Paris - France

Berlin - Germany

Madrid - Spain

I'm sure there are others, trouble is they are also outside the world of the USA.
I think Apple world benefit immensly if they realised that America is NOT the whole world. It would be great to see some serious marketing and advertising and placement of new stores in Main cities OUTSIDE the US. How do you think Windoze got to be soo huge? MS is not the best , they are just the best at making everyone think they are the best. Guess what it must have worked because 95% of computer users in the world Use Microsoft.
Now imagine what would happen if Apple did something similar with the best operating system on the planet!

Being exclusive is great but being everywhere is better!

Sayhey
Dec 7, 2003, 01:06 AM
As has already been said it looks like a Regent Street store is in the works for London late next year. A Osaka store is already been announced for the same time frame. Does anyone think Apple is going to stop there? As long as these stores make money they are going to open more. Paris, Rome, and Berlin stores are in the near future (next 2yrs?) if i were to guess.

The interesting thing will be to watch and see if the store strategy outside the US will follow what Apple has done here. Will they open a cluster of stores in a metro area in order to cover the large population centers or will they just drop one large store in these cities? As good as Ginza looks the Tokyo metro area is the largest in the world and one store, no matter how impressive, won't make that big of a difference.

BaghdadBob
Dec 7, 2003, 02:31 AM
OK...the outside the US stuff...you guys need to quit crying already. The Japan store is going to open soon. That was absolutely the best choice for the first non-US store, and more will follow.

Stats go two ways. You can say "50% of Apple's sales are international..." or you can say "50% of Apple's sales are in the US alone."

Please realize that the US is the epicenter of Apple's business. My state is bigger than most countries, and yet the SF area has more stores than all of Washington, and so does the LA area.

Apple will grow into more international locations, but understand that its not nearly as easy infrastructurally or financially as opening a US location.

Just quit already. Sheesh.

autrefois
Dec 7, 2003, 03:15 AM
OK...the outside the US stuff...you guys need to quit crying already. The Japan store is going to open soon. That was absolutely the best choice for the first non-US store, and more will follow.

Stats go two ways. You can say "50% of Apple's sales are international..." or you can say "50% of Apple's sales are in the US alone."

Please realize that the US is the epicenter of Apple's business. My state is bigger than most countries, and yet the SF area has more stores than all of Washington, and so does the LA area.

Apple will grow into more international locations, but understand that its not nearly as easy infrastructurally or financially as opening a US location.

Just quit already. Sheesh.

So complaining about not having an Apple Store near you is apparently reserved only for Americans? (Or rather: non-redneck Americans??)

I think if people like Apple enough to want an Apple Store near them, they should be able to complain if they want to, too.

In most other countries, Windows is even more prevalent than it is here. So of course people who like Macs would want Apple to do more to reverse that trend, wouldn't you?

BaghdadBob
Dec 7, 2003, 03:24 AM
Look, I know you're new here, so you may not know where I'm coming from.

You can only hear the same thing so many times within reason. Apple is going international, but obviously their core user base is here, and they're catering to it first.

Sure, people can complain if they want to. And I can tell them to quit if I want to. And you can tell me that they can complain if they want to if you want to considering that I wanted to tell them to quit in the first place being the cause of your wanting to state that the people who want to complain can complain if wanting that is up their alley.

Now, I'm sure someone out there has been waiting for the opportunity to jump in with some bitching about international iTunes. Not that there's any reason Apple hasn't done it yet. Not that the whinging has not commenced on enough.

Oh, and since I want to, I'm going to waste more space by complaining about how Macs aren't upgradable like PCs. It's been done before ad infinitum, and discussed, but I want to complain about it, so fair game.

aldo
Dec 7, 2003, 07:25 AM
At last - it seems they will open a store in england.

It'd only take a maximum of 10 stores to cover most of the UKs large shopping malls.... or a similar amount to cover most the UKs main shopping streets.

The UK has 61million people, which is roughly 1/5 of the US, so surely they can afford to open 1/7 of the amount of stores they have currently in the US in the UK?

The Apple userbase is pitifully small in the UK, mainly because Apple hikes the price up so damn much - and also the lack of advertising around for Apple.

I'm hoping that apple does open some more international stores - even if they were only a few per country....

hesitaliandad
Dec 7, 2003, 09:54 AM
Second, Apple also now has a certain native son of Tennessee on its board of directors that just might have some pull in Nashville. I can't believe it is not going to happen.

don't get me started on big Al claiming to be from Tennessee. i think you actually have to have lived in that state at one time to claim to be from there. just an aside.

well it sounds like there are plans for a nashville store. Apple isn't stupid. i am sure they know that there are a lot of mac users here. open one up in Cool Springs (wealthy suburb of nashville) and i think it would do quite well. fingers and toes crossed.

Sayhey
Dec 7, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by hesitaliandad
don't get me started on big Al claiming to be from Tennessee. i think you actually have to have lived in that state at one time to claim to be from there. just an aside.

well it sounds like there are plans for a nashville store. Apple isn't stupid. i am sure they know that there are a lot of mac users here. open one up in Cool Springs (wealthy suburb of nashville) and i think it would do quite well. fingers and toes crossed.

Didn't mean to start a discussion of Gore's merits (I like the guy), but only to point out that he might have some contacts in the state to move a store forward. Just speculation on my part, and I don't have any real news of a planned Nashville store. It just makes too much sense for there not to be. Of all the places in the US that don't have a store, Nashville would be the top of my list if I was choosing the sites.

Anonymous Freak

Why not? They have multiple stores in cities similarly sized to Portland. The reasoning behind this guess is that Apple's jobs website lists 'Portland - Pioneer Place' as a location.

They listed 'Tigard - Washington Square' as a hiring location a couple months before it opened, too.

Paladin
Great turnout yesterday morning for the Grand Opening of the North Point store. I was about #50 in line (out of probably 500) at 10:00. Nice to have the free t-shirt, but the store is a little small. I like the Lenox Square store better, though North Point is a little closer to me.

Moving along...I don't see Apple moving to the Greenville-Spartanburg area anytime soon. I was a resident there for a little over four years, and I just don't think that's the demographic to which they're trying to cater. I'd love to see a store on Main Street in Greenville, but it would stick out like a sore thumb. There just aren't any other high class shops in that area. And if not there, then where else would you put it? Haywood Mall? In S.C., Charleston would be the only likely choice.

Anonymous Freak
Dec 7, 2003, 01:41 PM
I put this rumor in a thread a while ago and from what I can find out I think Pioneer Place was the first choice in the Portland area but it fell through. The Tigard location is the backup. Not that Apple doesn't like to put more than one store in large metro areas.

Well, there is one unused storefront in Pioneer Place right now, with no 'coming soon' placards. And I doubt Pioneer Place would have trouble filling a spot, so it's a good guess that it's going to be an Apple store. (Since they didn't say 'Apple Store coming soon' at Washington Square, either.)

Sayhey
Dec 7, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ehurtley
Well, there is one unused storefront in Pioneer Place right now, with no 'coming soon' placards. And I doubt Pioneer Place would have trouble filling a spot, so it's a good guess that it's going to be an Apple store. (Since they didn't say 'Apple Store coming soon' at Washington Square, either.)

I hope you're right. Keep us posted on indications that it is an Apple store in the making.

DavPeanut
Dec 7, 2003, 03:05 PM
Awsome! I go to Montgomery mall about once a month, but soon ill be going once a week. The mall is like 8 miles from my house. Problem is, I cant get a job there cause you have to be 18, and im only 15.5, so by the time I can get a job there, ill be going off to College. I think they pay floor-staff about $25 an hour.

Mav451
Dec 7, 2003, 07:11 PM
damn...you're alot younger than i thought haha. Well, start young and get a head start i suppose lol.

I wusn't even into this forum stuff until only a year or 2 ago.

AppleManEric
Dec 7, 2003, 09:13 PM

I don't know, the one in washington square is kind of small. It was packed with people when I got my iPod there. I think one in Pioneer Place would kick @$$. It would totally match like the glass building in pioneer place too. I think Portland is fairly mac savvy also, they just don't know it yet.

txcraig75
Dec 8, 2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by itmdramaguy

Actually from a traffic standpoint the ideal south central Texas location would be in San Marcos. They could put it in Phase 4,352,612 of one of the two factory outlet malls just south of town. But I honestly think both towns should have one of their own, San Antonio's in the River Center. As for Austin, what better place for an Apple Store selling iPods and music related Apple products than Sixth Street in the heart of the Live Music Capital of the World's downtown entertainment district.

Its pretty bad right now that the best place to test drive an Apple in the Austin area is the University of Texas' Campus Computer store, but you can't buy one unless you are a student, faculty or staff of the University.

Bedawyn
Dec 8, 2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by NinjaMonkey
I agree with that I would never go over to that hole in the earth. Columbia Mall or White Flint wouldn't be so bad. Or some place downtown. But Montgomery mall is just nasty.

Montgomery Mall isn't where I would have chosen. But White Flint or Georgetown, as someone suggested above? Perfect places if you're trying to confirm that Macs are overpriced toys for the wealthy. At least putting it in Montgomery Mall will counteract that impression. And, hey, anywhere closer than NoVA is good for me!

(Of course, I'm sure the first time I go out there I'll still be whimpering about "Why couldn't they have put it on the Pike?")

judith
Dec 8, 2003, 07:40 PM
Please, there are rednecks in every corner of this country. I travel to a different city every couple weeks, and know firsthand how the "redneck" stereotype is not specific to the South. I've seen some of the most hideous rednecks in upstate NY. I've seen some homely folks with NASCAR stickers in your beautiful state of WA (when I was working at Keyport). And Maryland, Virginia, and Ohio. I could go on forever.

My point is if you leave any city (where Apple places it's stores ) you will find rednecks. Bottom line. I don't care where you are. So, get out more and see the world. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Apple needs stores in the South (besides just Atlanta) to diversify it's brand. The type of people in the South that would buy a Mac are just like you and everyone else that owns a Mac. Bubba and Skeeter will never be in the market for an Apple, even if a Dual G5 is given to them free.

By the way, please don't come to Charleston. You will not want to leave, and we have enough transplants here already!!:cool:

I am so pleased you felt this way regarding Baghdad Bob's comment - you simply MUST see this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47545) to make any sense of it. All though most of the commentary was deleted, BB and I both made arguements very similar to yours, which is why (I'm assuming) he made the statements he did here. I for one was enraged at the insult to 'the South' and "NASCAR" as being too ignorant a market for Apple products, when obviously, those accusors ( which will remain un-named so they don't "tell teacher" they're being picked on) were ignorant plain and simple.

supertex
Dec 9, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by judith
I am so pleased you felt this way regarding Baghdad Bob's comment - you simply MUST see this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47545) to make any sense of it. All though most of the commentary was deleted, BB and I both made arguements very similar to yours, which is why (I'm assuming) he made the statements he did here. I for one was enraged at the insult to 'the South' and "NASCAR" as being too ignorant a market for Apple products, when obviously, those accusors ( which will remain un-named so they don't "tell teacher" they're being picked on) were ignorant plain and simple.

True True, For those of you who claim that NASCAR is for the ignorant, just think about the engineering that has to go into building an engine that'll turn 9,000+ RPMs for most of a season, not to mention safety systems that allow a driver to go skipping across the infield end over end five or six times, and then climbing right out and waving to the crowd without bursting into flames. If you can do it, then good for you, but I know I'm not that smart. NASCAR is an advanced research lab for auto manufacturers, and most NASCAR fans have forgotten more about the intricacies of automotive systems than you could ever hope to know. YEESH you think 'cause somebody doesn't play golf and sip tea on Sundays that they're stupid, get over yourself...

Sayhey
Dec 9, 2003, 11:21 AM
I'm not quite sure what NASCAR, golf, or Sunday tea has to do with Apple's retail stores? I do know that Apple is opening stores all across the country, including the South. Right now, Florida is leading the way in the region, but I'm sure with all the planned and rumored openings that there will be many more throughout the South. If any US region has a right to complain it would be the Plains states. I don't see a big push to get a store in the Dakotas, Wyoming, or Montana. Nebraska or Iowa, maybe, but the northern plains is in for a long wait, IMO.

At some point Apple will move to concentrate on opening stores in overseas markets and the number of US openings will decrease each year. I don't think we are there yet or will be for a few years, but just how many stores will they open in the US? Will Apple go as high as 120 or 130 US locations? I don't know, but they have made it clear they aren't about to challenge Gateway for number of locations.

c2kvette
Dec 9, 2003, 12:53 PM
I always wondered why Durham, NC got an Apple Store before Charlotte. I suppose it's because of all the universties in that area.

But, for those that don't know, SouthPark is a very upscale area in Charlotte.
I can't wait for the store to open in Charlotte, it's about 30 mintues away from me, buts thats cool. About the size though 4,000 square feet. Is that the normal size of an Apple store, or is this small??

I'm hoping to get a part-time job there, it's opening in March 2004.

legion
Dec 9, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by c2kvette
I always wondered why Durham, NC got an Apple Store before Charlotte. I suppose it's because of all the universties in that area.

But, for those that don't know, SouthPark is a very upscale area in Charlotte.
I can't wait for the store to open in Charlotte, it's about 30 mintues away from me, buts thats cool. About the size though 4,000 square feet. Is that the normal size of an Apple store, or is this small??

I'm hoping to get a part-time job there, it's opening in March 2004.

4000 sq feet is a fairly good size store... It's about the size of most of Apple's in-mall stores (the street stores are usually larger.) The only question is whether or not 4000sq feet is selling floor space or the complete store (back office, stockroome, and selling floor)
Many times, retailers list the selling floor space only because real estate contracts with mall developers are dependent on dollars/sq feet in sales.

Sayhey
Dec 9, 2003, 07:51 PM
legion,

if I remember correctly you said you have negotiated the opening of retail outlets in Europe, what's your take on the likely openings there? Is there any country that is particularly hard to get into? Anyway, I'd thought I'd ask and try and take advantage of your experience for a little insight.

washer
Mar 1, 2004, 01:44 PM
winston-salem needs one! the traffic is so bad, it takes almost 3 hours just to get to the durham southpoint store! hanes mall would be great for an apple store, and we need one. i cant wait, when ever i go to the southpoint store, they say that i should work there in the summers, but its just too long of a drive. i cant wait for one in winston! i think the only thing that could go wrong woud be if they put it in greensborro instead. that would suck. the customer base and locations are much better in winston

Mav451
Mar 1, 2004, 02:32 PM
Montgomery Mall isn't where I would have chosen. But White Flint or Georgetown, as someone suggested above? Perfect places if you're trying to confirm that Macs are overpriced toys for the wealthy. At least putting it in Montgomery Mall will counteract that impression. And, hey, anywhere closer than NoVA is good for me!

(Of course, I'm sure the first time I go out there I'll still be whimpering about "Why couldn't they have put it on the Pike?")

Haha isn't there Compusa at Federal Plaza on the Pike? :)
Haven't been there in a while though, so i dunno bout the state of their Apple section. Some reason i would like the idea of it being near the B&N, but the outdoor store and that akasa (spelling?) store are pretty established there.

Sayhey
Mar 1, 2004, 03:20 PM
Apple has now posted jobs for its coming store in Osaka (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/7/wo/xVPHYlauG7AFCk18mVApKw/0.2.22.9.2.0.74.3).

The only stores that Apple confirms through its postings are, so far, the Charlotte store (rumored to open on March 12th at SouthPark Mall), and the stores in Bethesda (Montgomery Mall), Austin (Barton Creek Mall), and Osaka. There is, however, plenty of evidence for upcoming stores in London, Paris, mid-town Manhatten, Jacksonville, and others.

cmx08
Mar 1, 2004, 04:52 PM
JUST BECAUSE CONGO IS IN AFRICA what make YOU (APPLE) to ignore it. will have great help for u, since CONGO will not have Windows.

JGowan
Mar 1, 2004, 06:39 PM
GAHHHH!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:That sucks! :mad: I wish I knew how they managed to decide the locations. Not to gloat (promise ), but I've somehow have found myself within 20 minutes of one and 40 minutes of the other... Knox Street (Dallas) and Willow Bend (Plano). And there's another one 4.5 hours away in Houston. I'm sure you'll be getting one before you know it.

MacSmiley
Mar 19, 2004, 06:21 PM
Can't say there are no stores in the Midwest....that "region" covers a LOT of territory. There are a couple of Apple Stores in Minneapolis/St Paul area, just to mention.

But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for one here in South Dakota where more people from more states come to visit our mall than our water fall.

Day Tripper
Mar 20, 2004, 09:06 AM
Hey, has this been discussed anywhere on MacRumors? I can't find it and would like feedback regarding this article

:http://www.thinksecret.com/news/retailaccounting.html

Seems to me the whole issue of Apple stores now has a new twist to it....

MacSmiley
Mar 20, 2004, 09:26 AM
Hey, has this been discussed anywhere on MacRumors? I can't find it and would like feedback regarding this article

I think this issue deserves a thread of its own, don't you?

wdlove
Mar 20, 2004, 11:28 AM

If true Apple Stores should give some of that discount to its loyal returning customers. Some car companies provide that incentive.

Mac|caM
Mar 20, 2004, 09:17 PM
Take for instance my state AL.
I know we've got one store on the way next yr. On this map it's represented by a orange dot. So this means the orange dots will be places were Apple plan's to open a store in 04'. Yellow to me then would represent future stores maybe 05' and beyond. Right now it looks good for me because if they put two more stores in our state by 2005 then it will only be like a 40 min drive for me to both stores.

Yellow can't be future stores because my brother's been to the King of Prussia store in Philly, which is yellow on this map. Maybe the yellow dots w/o names by them are possible stores, and the ones with names are something else. Who knows.

gopher
Mar 21, 2004, 08:21 AM
Yes...go there now, you'll see the black drywall from floor to ceiling with Apple's logo on it. Right in the middle of the mall between Hechts and Nordstrum and Sears. Unfortunately it appears to be on the top floor only, and not the bottom floor. I had so wanted to see a glass staircase store locally!

DesignGuy
Mar 21, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yes, we Mac users here in MS need someplace to go as well, Atlanta is just way too far to go. well, too far to go as often as I want to go to an Apple Store.

gopher
Mar 21, 2004, 02:07 PM
Yes, we Mac users here in MS need someplace to go as well, Atlanta is just way too far to go. well, too far to go as often as I want to go to an Apple Store.

e-mail tysonscorner@apple.com your request. That's the Virginia Apple Store's e-mail address. They do take feedback.

good citizen
Apr 23, 2004, 11:18 PM
I haven't seen the illustration someone said they saw in the Mobile Register, but I do know this:

the mall is called Eastern Shore Centre. It will open in October. Of the stores that are announced, more than a few are first to the area. A quick search on Google can confirm. However, I can't find anywhere a mention of Apple as being included, except from a few Mac-only sites. If it's happening, it will probably be on Apple's jobs site soon if it's going to open with the rest of the mall 10/04.

I live 2 miles from the mall and it's coming together quickly, but not enough yet to be able to get onto the property at all. It's pretty much surrounded by mud.

gopher
Apr 24, 2004, 05:09 AM
According to a friend of mine who checked with a Tysons Corner Virginia store representative Apple may open the store May 6th in Montgomery Mall. Now the question is, what is the least amount of leed time before a store opened that you've seen an Apple Store be pre-announced on http://www.apple.com/retail ? It is getting ever closer to that date, and I wonder if it will happen that early or not.

Sayhey
Apr 24, 2004, 11:21 AM
According to a friend of mine who checked with a Tysons Corner Virginia store representative Apple may open the store May 6th in Montgomery Mall. Now the question is, what is the least amount of leed time before a store opened that you've seen an Apple Store be pre-announced on http://www.apple.com/retail ? It is getting ever closer to that date, and I wonder if it will happen that early or not.

ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) is saying the opening date is May 8th. Apple usally gives a 7-10 day lead time in announcing the opening of a store, so look for a posting on its retail site by May 1st.

Sayhey
Apr 24, 2004, 11:54 AM
Here is the latest update of upcoming stores that have been listed on Apple's jobs site.

1 - Montgomery Mall, Bethesda, Maryland

2 - Barton Creek Mall, Austin, Texas

3 - Danbury Fair Mall, Danbury, Connecticut

4 - Shadyside, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

5 - Country Club Plaza, Kansas City, Missouri

6 - Rosedale Center, Rosedale, Minnesota

7 - Stonestown Mall, San Francisco, California

8 - Santa Rosa Plaza, Santa Rosa, California

9 - Osaka, Japan

10 - Bridgewater Commons Mall, Bridgewater, New Jersey

The above stores would give Apple the 88 stores it has said it would have by Sept. 30th. In addition, the Regent Street store in London is also listed on the jobs site, but it would appear to be opening later in 2004 than the end of September.

Other stores that still are likely to open in 2004 are:

1 - Eastern Shore Center, Spanish Fort, Alabama

2 - Oakridge Mall, San Jose, California

3 - Rockaway Townsquare Mall, Rockaway, New Jersey

There has been in the past a rush of store openings in the October - November period to take advantage of the holiday sales. This would tend to argue for more than the fourteen stores already listed above to be opened this year.

Mav451
Apr 24, 2004, 12:19 PM
mmm heck yeah. Montgomery Mall finally gets it. And its in the "richer" part of Maryland, so no doubt the money will be there...all we need to see is the demand from the community then.

(this also means no more freakin' trips down 495 to get to the Virginia location) :)

Sayhey
Apr 24, 2004, 05:57 PM
The number of California stores keeps expanding at an almost embarrassing rate. ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) is reporting two more stores listed on Apple's web site - one in the SF Bay Area and one in the LA area.

Apple has posted still more retail store sites on its "Jobs" Web page: Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton (N. Calif.) and Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga (S. Calif.). There are now 26 unannounced Apple retail store locations, of which perhaps 12-14 might be open by year's end.

evilgEEk
Apr 24, 2004, 08:16 PM
Hmm..there must be a reason for all the Stores in California. Maybe they're simply doing really well financially? There's certainly the population to support it. I dunno, it could even be seen as an experiment in market saturation...I doubt it though, that would be a pretty costly 'experiment'.

And, like everyone else, I wish Apple would put a Store where I am...Boise, Idaho. I've read rumor of Apple planning one here, but nothing more. The majority of Idaho is certainly agriculturally driven, I'm a farm-boy myself, but Boise is quite different from the rest of the state, we have a lot of technology companies here. Micron (crucial.com) has its headquarters here, HP has a major printer division here (tech support is a local number, whoo hoo!;)) and there are tons of smaller companies (mPC..etc..).

The city of Boise and surrounding area is one of the fastest growing areas in the country, I think it would be a great place for an Apple Store. :)

Of course the fact that the nearest Store is in Portland (roughly 9 hours) may have something to do with my desire to have one here...;)

I finally went to my first Apple Store just three weeks ago, University Place in Seattle, and it was great! Plus the re-seller here (aside from CompUSA) is horrible. I always feel like I just walked onto a used car lot when I go in there...ugh

Here's to hopin'. :)

Gurugrrrl
Apr 24, 2004, 09:35 PM
Their is new Store in Northpoint GA that just opened today.

There is suppose to be Apple Store opening next yr in Northern AL. mall thats being built. Because in recent newspaper ad it even had Apple Store listed as new client. Now if they can only put one in central AL. and I'll be happy.

Oh tell me they aren't putting it in Huntsville... why not B'ham?? The Summit would be perfect. Right next to Saks and BCBG and Ill be one happy girl (I'm the girliest computer geek you'll ever meet :D )

Sayhey
Apr 25, 2004, 12:15 PM
Oh tell me they aren't putting it in Huntsville... why not B'ham?? The Summit would be perfect. Right next to Saks and BCBG and Ill be one happy girl (I'm the girliest computer geek you'll ever meet :D )

The only Alabama store I've heard of is the one in Spanish Fort near Mobile. What Northern Alabama store have either you or ITR 81 heard of?

By the way, Apple's web site now lists headings for jobs, but no job openings yet, for Lynnwood, Washington (no doubt in an attempt to surround Redmond) and Wilmington, Delaware. Both are listed as mall sites, Alderwood mall and Christiana mall respectively, so they look to be future Apple store locations. Obviously, no dates yet for openings.

good citizen
Apr 25, 2004, 04:46 PM
I don't know if anyone else has been paying attention this long, but a Monster job posting for Birmingham was one of the original tip-offs that the retail stores were right around the corner. I even applied for the job, got an e-mail back and sent my resume, but obviously the store never materialized.

That said, opening a store in Spanish Fort makes much, much more sense. There's a larger population in the Mobile-Pensacola-Biloxi metro region than Birmingham, not to mention that the tourism industry there is much bigger than Birmingham's. B'ham is also only a short drive from two stores in Atlanta. When you take into account Apple's speculated new home, Eastern Shore Centre; the new development including a 500,000 Bass Pro Shop, Market at Spanish Fort, and the already-opened Jubliee Place, Spanish Fort is quickly becoming THE shopping destination of the mid-gulf coast region. I could see a store coming to Birmingham someday, but the shoppers just aren't there.

hmg
Apr 25, 2004, 08:45 PM
I'd like to see one in Sydney, inside the Queen Victoria building, but it must cover the 3 above ground floors (no, not the full floors, just occupy continuous space across the 3 floors) to make it TALL! It should also be on the George street side.... of course the metallic walls would not be allowed....
Or perhaps a big monolith in the southern half of the CBD somewhere....
I'll shut up now.

evilgEEk
Apr 26, 2004, 02:18 AM
... but it must cover the 3 above ground floors (no, not the full floors, just occupy continuous space across the 3 floors) to make it TALL!

A three story Apple Store?!?! That would be sa-weeeeet! :D :cool:

good citizen
Apr 26, 2004, 06:33 PM
Sweeter than Tokyo's 5 stories?

Mokona
Apr 27, 2004, 03:47 AM
NEVER.......but ill help ship her off to the south pole er something ;)
To quote South Park, bigger, longer and uncut:

The Canadian government has apologized for Bryan Adams on several occasions.

grouse
Apr 27, 2004, 04:32 AM
Regarding the UK store, here's what I found on the developers site, Stanhope PLC:

A bit tight lipped about the project probably under the behest of Apple!

Project W8, Regent St

"Stanhope was selected in November 2001 by the Crown Estate as developer for this 250,000 sq ft office and retail scheme for 229-247 Regent Street, W1. This is to be the first major stage in the implementation of the Crown Estates Regent Street Vision - a comprehensive strategy for the enhancement of Regent Street as a quality shopping destination, a successful business location and a place for people. The proposals comprise retail, office and residential space and work on site commenced January 2003 with completion due late 2004."

http://www.stanhopeplc.com/image/{7EB0B226-C7D4-4E2E-908C-DA5B75D6456B}.jpgstanhope plc project link (http://) link to stanhope plc UK (http://www.stanhopeplc.com/projects/CURRENT_PROJECTS/?afw_source_key={B4A24558-8CE6-422E-8449-BAC060F90D57})

aswitcher
Apr 27, 2004, 04:46 AM
I'd like to see one in Sydney, inside the Queen Victoria building, but it must cover the 3 above ground floors (no, not the full floors, just occupy continuous space across the 3 floors) to make it TALL! It should also be on the George street side.... of course the metallic walls would not be allowed....
Or perhaps a big monolith in the southern half of the CBD somewhere....
I'll shut up now.

I think a purpose built store near/on Pitt Street Mall, in Victoria Galleries, or possibly in the world square construction (although that's a little south). Anything on George, York or Pitt between Wynyard and Townhall would work for me.

Sayhey
Apr 28, 2004, 05:25 AM
Apple's job website (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/15/wo/u2A96UZT1hi0cvrSe3znCM/0.4.0.0.33) is now listing job openings for the usual positions for stores in Lynnwood, Washington; Pleasanton, California; and Wilmington, Delaware. These are stores in the Alderwood, Stoneridge, and Christiana malls respectively. This means they will open in a 4-6 month time frame. Of course, there are no details on a exact date, in keeping with Apple's policy of not giving such information until a week or two before the actual opening.

ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) is also reporting the openings.

edit: The Rockaway, New Jersey store is also now listing openings; this brings the number of store openings for the rest of this year to a confirmed 15 and a likely number of at least 18 to 19.

hmg
Apr 28, 2004, 09:40 AM
I think a purpose built store near/on Pitt Street Mall, in Victoria Galleries, or possibly in the world square construction (although that's a little south). Anything on George, York or Pitt between Wynyard and Townhall would work for me.

My reason for liking the QVB: Bacio coffee shop in th e middle(used to be Bar Cuppola) with decent coffee and lovely orange-syrup cake.... with.... free wireless internet provided by the QVB!

(I'm the geek with the Thinkpad, the more important person in my relationship uses the 17"pb...)

Doctor Q
Apr 28, 2004, 01:43 PM
Apple's job website (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/15/wo/u2A96UZT1hi0cvrSe3znCM/0.4.0.0.33) is now listing job openings for the usual positions for stores in Lynnwood, Washington; Pleasanton, California; and Wilmington, Delaware.Thank goodness. We don't have enough Apple Stores in California yet. :D

Sayhey
Apr 28, 2004, 02:32 PM
Thank goodness. We don't have enough Apple Stores in California yet. :D

Glad you mentioned it, because Apple's job website is now posting openings for another California store. Rancho Cucamonga is the new location for an Apple store and along with the other stores now looking for people to fill job openings it will make 23 stores in California by this fall. Most of these are in the SF Bay Area (SF-Stonestown, Santa Rosa, San Jose, and Pleasanton) but Rancho Cucamonga will add to the number of stores in the LA metro area (making nine stores.)

Mac|Photo
Apr 28, 2004, 02:33 PM
Mostly directed at FuzzyBallz, but anyone else welcome too...
Just wondering what makes you say death to CompUSA?

I would much prefer an Apple Store, however in mid-Michigan there are no real options besides one in Chicago (if I remember correctly), but thats not an easy trip when you just want to check something out quick.
The CompUSA here has an "Apple Certified Rep" who works solely in the Apple area, doesn't care a lick about the rest of the store, and he seems pretty smart thusfar...

Anyways, let me know what your gripes are, just checking up on things before I buy. Thanks.

aswitcher
Apr 28, 2004, 03:15 PM
My reason for liking the QVB: Bacio coffee shop in th e middle(used to be Bar Cuppola) with decent coffee and lovely orange-syrup cake.... with.... free wireless internet provided by the QVB!

(I'm the geek with the Thinkpad, the more important person in my relationship uses the 17"pb...)

Yeah but the QVB would not allow them to build their store, just fit within limitations very expensive existign floor space. I see your points but I would prefere a 3-4 story purpose built store like Tokyo / London with plenty of room for people to hang out and use that wifi in peace

appleguy
Apr 28, 2004, 06:05 PM
Great. Another store on the OTHER coast of Florida. :(

Myself not included, there are a ton of people in this town with lots of money who would buy Apple's s*** UP. Build one here, Apple!!!

Its called store.apple.com
just think here in little old New Zealand we don't have Apple Stores. we ahve Apple Resellers, although The Apple Division (the New Zealand importers) now have an online store.

hmg
Apr 30, 2004, 10:27 PM
Yeah but the QVB would not allow them to build their store, just fit within limitations very expensive existign floor space. I see your points but I would prefere a 3-4 story purpose built store like Tokyo / London with plenty of room for people to hang out and use that wifi in peace

That would be very nice, our own aluminium monolith for mac geeks to hang out and swap warstories about anti-mac pc people.... ;) And of-course the QVB is off-limits... because of all the heritage rules.

earlybird
May 1, 2004, 11:43 AM
I´ve learned in th threads, that apple is on the way opening a UK store in tthe foreseeable future. will it be a flagship store like in chicago or san francisco? furthermore, has anybody picked up rumors of a store in continental europe (germany eg...)

Sayhey
May 1, 2004, 11:52 AM
I´ve learned in th threads, that apple is on the way opening a UK store in tthe foreseeable future. will it be a flagship store like in chicago or san francisco? furthermore, has anybody picked up rumors of a store in continental europe (germany eg...)

Yes, it will be a flagship store. It is located on Regent Street in London and should open this fall. My guess is sometime in October. There will likely be a store in Paris as well on the Champs Elysées. The folks in charge of Apple's retail effort have made it clear that Paris is a target location where there will be another flagship store, but no word yet on a time frame. Sorry, no word on other European Stores yet, but I'd bet my last dollar Apple is not stopping with two stores.

earlybird
May 1, 2004, 12:19 PM
...as a longtime observer of - as well as recent switcher to - extraordinary good-looking apple products (a powerbook 17") based in good old austria I appreciate your quick reaction indeed. I share your opiniion too, that they can`t neglect therest of europe (paris sounds great) and hopefully they`ll settle down in munich, berlin (or even vienna :) )

Sayhey
May 1, 2004, 12:49 PM
...as a longtime observer of - as well as recent switcher to - extraordinary good-looking apple products (a powerbook 17") based in good old austria I appreciate your quick reaction indeed. I share your opiniion too, that they can`t neglect therest of europe (paris sounds great) and hopefully they`ll settle down in munich, berlin (or even vienna :) )

No problem on the response, and it may take a couple of years but your hopes are likely to be fulfilled. And welcome both to the mac and to the forums. :)

Sayhey
May 2, 2004, 01:43 AM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/photos/regent_rendering.jpg) has posted a architect's drawing of the building that will house the new Regent street store in London. Click on the link above to view.

aswitcher
May 2, 2004, 02:03 AM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/photos/regent_rendering.jpg) has posted a architect's drawing of the building that will house the new Regent street store in London. Click on the link above to view.

Wow. Didn't know about this website. Very cool. Store looks pretty good, but I am surprised they say Apple is only taking a few floors.

asif3
May 2, 2004, 03:44 AM
Wow. Didn't know about this website. Very cool. Store looks pretty good, but I am surprised they say Apple is only taking a few floors.

I think there's only two floors available for Apple to use. The top floors will be made into residential flats & commerical offices.

aswitcher
May 2, 2004, 03:51 AM
I think there's only two floors available for Apple to use. The top floors will be made into residential flats & commerical offices.

I wonder how much floor space that equates to? I would have thought they would push 10000 sf + to make it a decently outfitted store.

asif3
May 2, 2004, 03:53 AM
I wonder how much floor space that equates to? I would have thought they would push 10000 sf + to make it a decently outfitted store.

It's a total of 58,000 sq. ft of retail space available. Apple has taken 20,000 sq.ft and will therefore be the biggest retailer in the building.

aswitcher
May 2, 2004, 03:56 AM
It's a total of 58,000 sq. ft of retail space available. Apple has taken 20,000 sq.ft and will therefore be the biggest retailer in the building.

That's great. I think that will put it cleanly in the top 10 of Apple's biggest stores.

wdlove
May 2, 2004, 02:42 PM

I think that store would win for most ornate looking. It's beautiful. I would imagine that the NYC and other CA stores would be in the top ten for size. My hope is that Apple would close the two Apple Stores in Boston proper and open a flag ship store here. We are just a large a metropolitan area as many other flag stores.

Sayhey
May 2, 2004, 03:04 PM
I think that store would win for most ornate looking. It's beautiful. I would imagine that the NYC and other CA stores would be in the top ten for size. My hope is that Apple would close the two Apple Stores in Boston proper and open a flag ship store here. We are just a large a metropolitan area as many other flag stores.

Now don't go hoping for stores to close! There is no reason Boston can't have the existing stores and a flagship store. Heaven knows that we aren't closing any stores in the SF area just because we now have the flagship store in downtown San Francisco. I've always said Boston, Washington, and Philly make a lot of sense for both flagship stores and additional smaller ones in the suburbs. I'm betting on one of these areas getting such a store in the next year-and-a-half to two years.

The London store is so ornate because it is a historic district with strict rules on changes to the facade. Besides, it's owned by the Queen and I doubt she would go for the silver boxes Apple has been putting out. ;)

Sayhey
May 3, 2004, 11:45 AM
Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/retail/montgomerymall/) is posting the day of May 8th as the opening of the Montgomery Mall store in Bethesda, Maryland.

gopher
May 3, 2004, 11:47 AM
Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/retail/montgomerymall/) is posting the day of May 8th as the opening of the Montgomery Mall store in Bethesda, Maryland.

You beat me to it! I was just about to post that.

Sayhey
May 3, 2004, 11:59 AM
You beat me to it! I was just about to post that.

Sorry, gopher - enjoy the store and when you go post some pictures if you can. :)

asif3
May 3, 2004, 01:39 PM

Speaking of the London Store, my dad is 'in' property, so I got him to find out what the property prices for those flats are. They werent willing to give any prices out, but they strongly indicated that they would be not a penny under £5million (~$9 million). I wasnt too stunned by the price.

tomatobush
May 3, 2004, 01:45 PM
Yikes. Thats a pretty penny.

quagmire
May 3, 2004, 02:45 PM
La Encantada, Tucson, AZ. -- should've been open by now unless they ran into set backs. Store was to be open before the end of 03'

Bethesda-Montgomery Mall, MD -- sometime in 04'

This saturday bud. May 8th 2004. Went there this past saturday, the construction walls are down. Eveything is ready except for one thing, THE STINKING COMPUTERS! I say they will get the computers by tuesday. But at the latest is thursday. I am attending the grand opening. I heard some rumors that some times they give away free stuff. Is that true? Thanks.

aswitcher
May 3, 2004, 02:56 PM
This saturday bud. May 8th 2004. Went there this past saturday, the construction walls are down. Eveything is ready except for one thing, THE STINKING COMPUTERS! I say they will get the computers by tuesday. But at the latest is thursday. I am attending the grand opening. I heard some rumors that some times they give away free stuff. Is that true? Thanks.

Last thing I recall them doing was the mystery bags for like $150 USD. In these they had about $500-$600 USD worth of Apple hardware/software, a pretty good buy if your new to Apple. Maybe they will do this...

quagmire
May 3, 2004, 07:43 PM
Last thing I recall them doing was the mystery bags for like $150 USD. In these they had about $500-$600 USD worth of Apple hardware/software, a pretty good buy if your new to Apple. Maybe they will do this...

There is a link above that connects you to the montgomery mall tore. The only thing they are giving away is t-shirts. Maybe they will do it for surprise. Hope so I am going there as soon as it opens.

rueyeet
May 5, 2004, 10:32 AM
It does seem a fairly run-of-the-mill opening, but then it's a fairly standard store in an average mall. Apple's done so many grand openings, and this is the third in the DC/Baltimore metro, so maybe there won't be much of a line or anything.

I hope so...between not feeling well, having to stay out late on the night previous, and having much stuff to do later that day, my chances of even a free t-shirt--much less actually getting to touch a mini--are looking slim.

Sayhey
May 5, 2004, 10:53 AM
...and this is the third in the DC/Baltimore metro...

It is the fourth by my count - Arlington, McLean, Towson, and now Bethesda. I keep looking for a flagship store in Georgetown, but no word yet.

Sayhey
May 18, 2004, 11:57 AM
Tomorrow, May 19th, marks the third anniversary of Apple’s retail effort. Three years ago it all started with the opening of the McLean, Virginia and Glendale, California stores. Apple, with its current lineup of 79 retail stores ranks as the 11th largest US electronics retail outlet. It is clear that this effort, which is now running at a profit, is important for Apple’s plans to sell its products in an environment that does not marginalize them as irrelevant in a market dominated by Wintel machines.

Last year, Apple announced the plan for the following year with the projection of 77 stores by today’s date ( a goal exceeded by two) and the opening of two flagship stores in San Francisco and Tokyo (the first international store.) Apple has already announced that they will have 88 stores opened by the end of the fiscal year (Sept. 30th.) With that in mind here are the likely projected openings for the following year.

Here is the latest update of upcoming stores that have been listed on Apple's Jobs site (http://www.apple.com/retail/) (click on "Apple Store Job Opportunities" in the lower right of the page.)

1 - Barton Creek Mall, Austin, Texas (likely to open in June)

2 - Danbury Fair Mall, Danbury, Connecticut

3 - Shadyside, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

4 - Country Club Plaza, Kansas City, Missouri

5 - Rosedale Center, Rosedale, Minnesota

6 - Stonestown Mall, San Francisco, California

7 - Santa Rosa Plaza, Santa Rosa, California

8 - Osaka, Japan (second store in Japan)

9 - Bridgewater Commons Mall, Bridgewater, New Jersey

10 - Rockaway Townsquare Mall, Rockaway, New Jersey

11 - Stoneridge Mall, Pleasanton, California

12 - Victoria Gardens, Rancho Cucamonga, California

13 - Alderwood Mall, Lynnwood, Washington

14 - Christiana Mall, Wilmington, Delaware (first store in that state)

15 - Regent Street, London, England (Apple’s first European store)

16 - Oakridge Mall, San Jose, California (signs (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/photos/oakridge_1.jpg) outside a retail space within the mall have an Apple store opening in “Winter 2004” (from ifoAppleStore.)

17 - Carousel Center, Syracuse, New York (recently added back to Apple’s “drop down” menu of Apple stores - new job listings on 5-26-04)

As I've already stated, all of the above stores have jobs openings at Apple’s web site. It usually takes four to six months from the posting of listings to opening of the store. In addition the following stores have been reported to be opening from other sources.

1 - Eastern Shore Center, Spanish Fort, Alabama (local newspapers have had Apple as one of the new tenants of the Center with a projected Fall 2004 opening.)

2 - St. John’s Town Center, Jacksonville, Florida (the Jacksonville Business Journal (http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2003/12/08/daily22.html) has a story predicting a March 2005 opening date)

3 - Midtown Manhattan, New York City, New York (from a story in the New York Post (http://www.macminute.com/2003/12/18/5thave) - no job listings or projected opening date)

Other rumors have had possible openings in Paris, Upper West Side NYC (84th & Broadway), Toronto, Irvine (CA), a second Portland (OR) store (Pioneer Center), and the projected start of “mini-stores” focused in universities.

It looks to likely that Apple will have over 100 retail stores by March 19, 2005 and at least the London and Osaka stores will be new flagship stores. All in all, it is likely that another year of solid growth is in Apple’s immediate future.

edit: see post below

edit2: see post #204

Sayhey
May 18, 2004, 07:11 PM
The Oakridge store in San Jose, CA now has listings for the usual jobs on Apple's web site. This makes 16 upcoming new stores confirmed by Apple's own site.

Mike571
May 18, 2004, 09:54 PM
:) Hey Mr. Jobs, if you are listening how about one of your beautiful Apple Stores at the Brea Mall, Brea California. Please, it 'll save me lots of gas!

BalBasBow
May 19, 2004, 02:30 AM
Here in Paris, France we are waiting our Apple Store in Paris, on Champs Elysées!
A poll by macgeneration.com (french site) said that more than 400 mac enthusiasts were ready to camp in front of the store when it will open !
Camping on Champs Elysées...Welcome to Paris!

ingenious
May 19, 2004, 09:02 PM

Any word on when this one will open? This is like the only store that's even CLOSE to me. :( :D I hope it's a good one! Oh wait, this is Apple, of course it will be! :D

bbarnhart
May 19, 2004, 09:57 PM
Any word on when this one will open? This is like the only store that's even CLOSE to me. :( :D I hope it's a good one! Oh wait, this is Apple, of course it will be! :D

This is related to the Kansas City store. There was an article in the paper last week as to its location, it will be on the Plaza near Ann Taylor. It will be a small store around 2,500 square feet. I don't know when it will open, but my guess it will be in the fall.

512ke
May 19, 2004, 10:35 PM
Sooner or later all these stores have to translate into higher market share for Apple...right?

~Shard~
May 19, 2004, 11:00 PM
Sooner or later all these stores have to translate into higher market share for Apple...right?

Well, Apple is definitely trying to make itself more visible and accessible to consumers, so I guess we'll see. If market share doesn't eventually increase, it won't be for lack of trying on Apple's part!

Sayhey
May 20, 2004, 01:35 AM

Given the timing of the jobs listings it is likely that Kansas City will be one of the stores Apple says it will open before Sept. 30th. I tried to list the 16 stores in roughly the order they appeared on Apple's site. The exceptions are the London and Osaka stores, but those are flagship stores which take longer to open (and foreign stores as well) and my guess is that while Osaka may open before Sept. 30th, London is probably scheduled for later in 2004.

good citizen
May 22, 2004, 11:06 PM
Not lookin' good for the Spanish Fort store... ifoAppleStore now says that Apple's not included in a list of retailers coming to the site.

A tipster noticed a sign with a long list of tenants at the upcoming Eastern Shore Centre in Spanish Fort (Ala.), but it does not include an Apple store. The location has long been on the list of possible sites, but we'll have to wait until October for the mall to open to finally determine what's up.

bousozoku
May 22, 2004, 11:32 PM
Christiana Mall must be going upscale. They certainly weren't the kind of mall that Apple has been choosing. I don't remember any Bloomingdales, although there may be a Macy's store. Of course, considering that Delaware is a small state, it should be able to support the state plus some Philly and South Jersey traffic that won't go to the King of Prussia and Marlton stores.

It's amazing that there are two more stores in New Jersey but only two stores for all of Pennsylvania. There used to be a BMW dealership in Windber, which is in central PA near Johnstown, and is tiny. Surely, if they need BMWs, they need iPods and PowerBooks too. :)

Sayhey
May 23, 2004, 10:15 AM
Christiana Mall must be going upscale. They certainly weren't the kind of mall that Apple has been choosing. I don't remember any Bloomingdales, although there may be a Macy's store. Of course, considering that Delaware is a small state, it should be able to support the state plus some Philly and South Jersey traffic that won't go to the King of Prussia and Marlton stores.

It's amazing that there are two more stores in New Jersey but only two stores for all of Pennsylvania. There used to be a BMW dealership in Windber, which is in central PA near Johnstown, and is tiny. Surely, if they need BMWs, they need iPods and PowerBooks too. :)

I too am amazed at the few stores in the Philly area. This new Wilmington store will make only three locations in a metro area of over six million people. The New Jersey stores are part of an obvious commitment of Apple to serve the huge NYC market, but other very large markets - like Boston, Washington, and SF have had more stores for a very long time. It looks like Apple is just finally trying to catch up in Philly.

good citizen, I also read the item on the Spanish Fort store, but don't give up just yet on the location. Apple tries very hard not to have any advance publicity of openings on mall sites. It is almost a mania in Cupertino not to let out information until about a week before openings. It is only when folks slip up that we get much of a clue about what is going on with the stores.

Dkrudop
May 23, 2004, 02:02 PM
Charlotte, DC, and Bethesda are ALL too far away for those of us in the metro Norfolk/Va. Beach/Chesapeake/Portsmouth/Newport News/Hampton/Suffolk/Williamsburg are of southeastern Virginia. With close to 2,000,000 people in the overal Hampton Roads area......surely consideration should be given to a store here.

~Shard~
May 23, 2004, 02:12 PM
Still waiting for some Canadian stores! Some of you think you have it bad - the nearest Apple store to me is probably at least an 8-hour drive away across the border! ;)

Sayhey
May 23, 2004, 04:31 PM
Still waiting for some Canadian stores! Some of you think you have it bad - the nearest Apple store to me is probably at least an 8-hour drive away across the border! ;)

Who knows what Apple is doing about Canadian Stores? It seems even Apple doesn't. Take a look at AppleInsider's (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=462) latest on the Canadian stores and see if you can explain it to me. By the way, AppleInsider seems to be the best source on this topic. Not that any of this does you much good because if there are openings they will likely be in the Toronto area. Not exactly a stone's throw from Regina, is it?

~Shard~
May 23, 2004, 09:00 PM
Who knows what Apple is doing about Canadian Stores? It seems even Apple doesn't. Take a look at AppleInsider's (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=462) latest on the Canadian stores and see if you can explain it to me. By the way, AppleInsider seems to be the best source on this topic. Not that any of this does you much good because if there are openings they will likely be in the Toronto area. Not exactly a stone's throw from Regina, is it?

Oh come on, Toronto's only about a 26-hour drive from Regina! Hmm, and Vancouver, the next major center, would only be about 16 hours away for me... Ah, the joys of living in the middle of the country! ;) :cool: Nah, if that were the case it would still be quicker for me to go to a store in the States in the Dakotas, Montana, or Minnesota or something... Ah well, I visited the SoHo store last month when I was in the Big Apple and made good use of my trip - bought a 20 GB iPod which completely kicks ass. :cool:

Quarkie
May 24, 2004, 05:13 PM
How can Apple keep opening new stores when the rest of the computer retail/'brick & mortar' market is collapsing (and has been for some time)? The Apple Store Financials (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/latest_financials.html) at ifoapplestore show that they are barely breaking even, and perhaps with dubious allocation of costs.

Fry's absorbed Egghead, CompUSA went private under the ownership/tendering of Sanborn, but also absorbed Computer City and Good Guys. Best Buy and Walmart are even starting to duke it out and are offering PC's. What's next?

But forget pure retail - what about retail alternatives, like software-on-demand? Senescent companies like Protocall with SoftwareToGo have been dreaming, since 2000, that they are going to recruit major publishers to sell software-on-demand, backed by alliances with CompUSA and Microsoft and peripheral associations with Apple (http://developer.apple.com/business/softwaretogo.html). Quick! Sign up before it's too late! :rolleyes: They'll be lucky to get anything other than cheap-ware that could be sold via websites without the middleman cost.

So, Besides the "need-it-now" customers and the inevitable channel natural selection taking place, how is it that The Internet (*ominous theme music*) isn't the death knell for a large portion of computer retail, even Apple's (at their own hands)?

The ultimate comedy will be that when Apple is done cannibalizing or alienating their dealer retail channel by placing stores in all lucrative metropolitan centers, their own online store will then cannibalize their Apple Stores. Well...that's one way to eliminate the competition and guarantee maximum profit for all units sold. The only advantage that Apple has in this area to prevent self-cannibalization is niche price control, which they have always wielded with draconian zeal. And, they are no strangers to alienating or causing the collapse of their own dealer channel. Carpe dealerum!

For the moment, however, I guess even if it's a break-even, "on-the-street" advertisement for Apple and a place where users can go to "see the gear," that's OK for a quick mindshare/touchy-feely buzz, but it's got to be at the expense of cannibalizing their channel, no matter what they believe or say. Sales don't come out of the ether, even if there are some switchers.

"It's incredibly profitable for Apple - it's just good marketing," said Jobs, while gnawing on what appeared to be the femur of a deceased Apple dealer from the Boston area.

However, in a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see just as many announcements of Apple store closings due to lack of profitability. But fear not, those steamy rumors about Steve, the Borg Queen, and a new Apple hive on Mars using recycled rover parts may yet expand the sales base. Perhaps we know what happened to the missing European Mars probe after all. :)

"I am Macutus of Borg - your user experience will be assimilated and you will now make large, endangered cat noises as we attach this iSight camera to your temporal lobe and place you in the Macuration Chamber."

Sayhey
May 26, 2004, 05:36 PM
Apple is now listing jobs for the Syracuse store. While the job listings are limited to mac genius and keyholder positions, so far, this would give a likely opening date for the store in the October-November time frame.

quarkie, the Apple retail effort is one of the fastest such ventures to reach profitability. That doesn't seem to factor into your view. If Apple is ever going to break out of the market share it is in now it will have to include ways to advertise macs and provide a different kind of place to buy them. This retail effort may not work, although so far it looks like it is working very well, but unless one wants to accept a total windows world it will take some efforts like this to change the playing field.

By the way, Apple has put out figures that show resellers benefiting from the opening of Apple stores. It maybe they are blowing smoke, but if Apple market share is looked at as a "zero-sum" game then we can just write it off now. I'm glad the folks at Apple don't see it your way.

FoxyKaye
May 26, 2004, 05:55 PM
all we have here in lex is the stupid compusa. They have limited selection, and no one who works there seems to know anything.

I watched the wwdc feed and knew more about the pmac than the sales guy. Plus, he always neglects to mention that I qualify for a student discount. However, he finds time to reiterate that I can buy on CREDIT!! We need an apple store here.

If it's any consolation, the folks at CompUSA in San Francisco are idiots too, and they're two blocks away from the Apple Store. :D

Quarkie
May 26, 2004, 07:43 PM
Sorry Sayhey. Sadly, it looks like smoke to me. Apple is most likely opening stores at the expense of their other dealers by:

1. Maintaining a draconian, preferential grip on margins
2. Maintaining a draconian, preferential grip on supply
3. Locating stores in high-traffic areas where other dealer stores already exist

Oh...but wait! It's good for the dealers! Really! :rolleyes: No. Read about it: Dealers Protest Practices of Macintosh Maker (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/8500793.htm?1c).

The courts will hopefully reveal whatever truth there is to see in this matter.

It looks like there may have been a similar article in the NY Post, but it has been pulled and does not appear to be in the NYPost archives. Hmmm. No matter, there are others listed at: tellonapple.org (http://www.tellonapple.org/news.php).

Retail sales have to come from somewhere. Logically, if you have a fixed pool of consumers consuming at a fixed (or, at best, slowly growing) rate, adding preferential supply, while sweating out existing resources can only mean one thing: store closings for those at a competitive disadvantage. Or, "Goodbye Independent Dealers," sung to the tune of "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John (perhaps using the same lyrics (http://www.eltonography.com/songs/goodbye_yellow_brick_road.html)). Ha ha!! :D [cracked self up.]

But, once again, the famous Apple Spin Machine is hard at work, convincing the world that their actions are benevolent and can only help the independent dealers, right? If Apple had massively expanding marketshare, that might be partially true, but they don't. The only safe ones are the dealers who had the insight to be cross-platform, with now evaporating Mac sales that probably only amounted to 5% of their computer sales in the first place!

For example, does Fry's care that there is an Apple Store (virtual or real)? Errmmm...probably not. Have you seen the pathetic Apple racks at Fry's? They should spruce them up a bit by playing some funeral dirges and hiring some Piercing Fetish Goth Teens as sales people.

The not-so-lucky dealers are the ones who loved Apple, were loyal to Apple, and dedicated their lives and livelihood to Apple. Let us now have a retrospective moment of silence for stores like ComputerWare and MacShop, put to death in the Bay Area during the '90's. Ahhh...old news.

In a collapsing computer retail economy, Apple brick & mortar retail really seems like a zero-sum business, and is purely a company-controllable street advertisement/demo site for Apple that may break even or earn a small profit. Whatever profit they do earn is probably going to be put into developing more store properties, which is another way to move virtual boxes from Cupertino to the stores and to further collapse the non-controlled dealer base.

"Oh look! We opened 10 more Apple Stores and increased sales!" cried the Executive VP of Sales.
"W-W-Wha-What's the ch-channel sell-through on th-that?" asked the newbie sales guy with some degree of trepidation and responsible fiscal concern.
"You're FIRED!! Get that idiot out of here!"
"Careful, Mr. Jobs, we don't want Trump to find out you said that," admonished a vigilant representative from Legal.

The goal seems to be to pump as many sales as possible through controlled properties (online and brick & mortar) = maximum profit for Apple and a firm, predictable grip on the channel - channel advertising, branding, product presentation, appearance, etc.

Also, it pushes the onus of supply into the "satellite states." If Apple says that you have to sell N units per month as an Apple Store, they have direct control over their reported bottom line as N x [# of Apple Stores] for any particular product.

Woo hoo! Who's your Daddy? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=851830&postcount=160)

It's actually a brilliant, one-shot, cannibalistic, marketing model "generating a buzz around all the amazing Apple Store openings," while the Grim Reaper trolls the neighborhood looking for any poor dealer who ate the Mac-only-flavored mousse. ;) It also may be the nature of the Mac-only dealer base to expand and contract cyclically over the years due to corporate predation or the general waxing and waning of Apple's marketshare.

But don't worry...Apple won't close the Apple Stores if they don't succeed, they will simply be "moved to an exciting new location," the spinny way to think of it, whether across town or to a different country that doesn't yet have a shiny Apple Store.

"Hey! Why are we closing?!?"
"Apple has offered us a great opportunity to move the store to Caracas! Do any of you speak Spanish? They said there's a lot of pent up Mac demand in Venezuela and we have the opportunity to be Apple Pioneers!"
"Errrrrmm..."

jane doe
May 26, 2004, 10:19 PM
Oh, Let me guess... A troll.

~Shard~
May 26, 2004, 10:29 PM

Damn, you beat me to it... :cool:

runeasgar
May 26, 2004, 11:53 PM
God I wish one was near me. I hear tell of campus Apple stores, maybe my campus could get one.. :p

Quarkie
May 27, 2004, 12:50 AM
Damn, you beat me to it...

Actually, it's not a "troll," unless that's what you call anything that doesn't happen to agree with your loyalist Apple viewpoint. I think this is an important subject. :)

Perhaps you could expand your perception to include empathy for dealers who have lost their entire livelihood due to Apple's business practices. Or, by all means, post cogent discourse to the contrary about how what is detailed in the San Jose Mercury News article, dealer lawsuit, and elsewhere is not really happening, and it's all just a myth conjured by nay-sayers and fools. Oh...and those would be the same fools who tried to build a business around Apple and its products to support all of you. ;)

In looking at the data in this area, both from current and historical perspectives, it's hard to ignore the repeating issue of predatory competition from Apple within the ranks of its dealers, no matter how it is spun.

So, please - post something intelligent and insightful, or even humorous, that advances the discussion beyond the realm of your previously misplaced, monosyllabic sarcasm. I, for one, would really welcome it. :)

Sayhey
May 27, 2004, 02:00 AM
Actually, it's not a "troll," unless that's what you call anything that doesn't happen to agree with your loyalist Apple viewpoint. I think this is an important subject. :)

Perhaps you could expand your perception to include empathy for dealers who have lost their entire livelihood due to Apple's business practices. Or, by all means, post cogent discourse to the contrary about how what is detailed in the San Jose Mercury News article, dealer lawsuit, and elsewhere is not really happening, and it's all just a myth conjured by nay-sayers and fools. Oh...and those would be the same fools who tried to build a business around Apple and its products to support all of you. ;)

In looking at the data in this area, both from current and historical perspectives, it's hard to ignore the repeating issue of predatory competition from Apple within the ranks of its dealers, no matter how it is spun.

So, please - post something intelligent and insightful, or even humorous, that advances the discussion beyond the realm of your previously misplaced, monosyllabic sarcasm. I, for one, would really welcome it. :)

Quarkie, I won't call you a troll, but do mind if I disagree?

You see I don't look at this from the point of view of an Apple reseller. I look at it from the point of view of someone who has owned and used Apple products since the '70s. I want Apple to succeed and grow a larger market share. I want that because I want to continue to have great computers available to me. So, while I can sympathize with a reseller if they are having a hard time it is not my major concern.

Let me concede one point in your post. The courts will undoubtedly decide this case and in the process we will learn more about Apple's business practices.

What I don't concede is that Apple stores are not an important part of any chance for Apple to grow its market share. If such a thing is to happen it will take great products and savvy marketing. The stores are a vital part of the latter. The profile of Apple products in the environment of an Apple store is so much greater than that of an area where only resellers handle their products. I don't think that can be seriously debated. I have indeed been in Fry's and other retailers and the attitude toward a potential customer, as well as the comparative availability of products is just totally lacking. If Apple is to count on such retailers to market their products then all we have before us is a slow, or maybe not so slow, death spiral for Apple computers.

That is not the case in areas with new Apple stores. Even if you accept everything the folks who are suing Apple say as the gospel, which it seems you do, I don't think you can dispute the stores have been a success from the stand point of marketing and sales. They generate excitement about Apple's products and there is no doubt sales are now increasing. You may argue this is only a function of an expanding market in the industry, but at the very least you cannot show where they are hurting sales.

Now they may hurt Apple's bottom line. This is a very risky path to take. There are huge investments of capital that the company has made over the last three years and even greater commitments over the long term. It could get Apple into trouble, however you must then ask yourself what is the alternative? I would say the alternative to changing the way marketing and sales is done through this retail initiative is to sign over Apple's fate to folks who have proven they can't do the job. That's a path back to that death spiral I spoke of earlier.

Quarkie, I don't know if you work in one of the resellers or just don't like Apple's policy. I do know that if a couple of resellers go under because they can't figure out how to expand the market and get new customers, then as much as I don't like it - it isn't the end of the mac. If Apple doesn't succeed in growing its market over all it will be the end of the mac. That's a prospect most of us on these boards, and I assume you are one of us, would not like to see.

jkeithh
May 27, 2004, 06:33 AM
[QUOTE=zed]im sure eyelikeart would agree with me when i say:

NEW ORLEANS!!!!

There are tons of apple users here.[/QUOTE

I couldn't agree more.

Sayhey
May 27, 2004, 08:28 AM
A minor note - Apple now has a listing for the Store Manager position for the Syracuse store. It is looking good for that October-November time frame.

Quarkie
May 27, 2004, 12:19 PM
SayHey - sure - disagreeing is fine. But I'm not sure that you're actually disagreeing. I actually agree with a number of your points, as indicated in my previous post. For example:

1. That Apple Stores are a brilliant idea to bolster the Apple retail channel and create excitement around the notion of expansion (at the expense of other, dedicated dealerships and in a zero-sum perspective).
2. That Apple is using Apple Stores to control (& remedy) how their brand and products are displayed and advertised on the street.

"It's actually a brilliant, one-shot, cannibalistic, marketing model 'generating a buzz around all the amazing Apple Store openings,'while the Grim Reaper trolls the neighborhood looking for any poor dealer who ate the Mac-only-flavored mousse."

"...and a firm, predictable grip on the channel - channel advertising, branding, product presentation, appearance, etc."

"...I guess even if it's a break-even, "on-the-street" advertisement for Apple and a place where users can go to "see the gear," that's OK for a quick mindshare/touchy-feely buzz, but it's got to be at the expense of cannibalizing their channel..."

"For example, does Fry's care that there is an Apple Store (virtual or real)? Errmmm...probably not. Have you seen the pathetic Apple racks at Fry's?"

Do I think everything the disenfranchised dealers say is gospel? I don't know, as indicated, but I certainly can empathize with their plight (having worked at a dealership a long time ago) and see the substantial credibility and underlying rationale for their complaint. It's sad, but in the legal process, they will probably lose 25+% of their complaint to Apple's creative accounting and greater legal resources.

As for my comments about zero-sum or collapsing "growth," you may want to review this article:

IDC: Apple lost marketshare in 2003, to 3.2 percent (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/01/15/idc/)

The best analog/pundit comparison for Apple and the success of its branded stores is Gateway, since Gateway is only slightly ahead of Apple with respect to marketshare in the PC space and also tried to control their street branding with their cool cow stores.

A couple articles to review, for example, among many on the subject:
Gateway Retail Stores Closing (http://www.ksfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=1756914)
Gateway Pulls Plug on Retail Operations (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1560167,00.asp)

So, here is a company in a much larger consumer space (PC) with slightly larger marketshare than Apple's, a cool, controlled brand, and they deemed that their 188 retail stores and 2500 employees were not helping the company. Also, I think they had been closing other stores prior to this event. Does Apple know something that Gateway doesn't? Maybe. However, Gateway has increased their marketshare by acquiring eMachines, while closing their unsuccessful stores - probably a smart move, since the PC retail space is highly diversified with many other available channels (which are all probably secondary to consumer e-Tail migration).

Meanwhile, Apple has continued to open stores, lost/alienated dealers, impacted channel diversification, and decreased their overall marketshare. These are not ideal parallels, but if the branded stores had really been helping Gateway and not losing money, don't you think they would have kept them? The sensible conclusion in a collapsing industry-wide retail space as consumers gravitate elsewhere/online is that the expanding Apple Store base is nothing more than an expensive street ad and predictable inventory cache that doesn't actually translate into consumer marketshare (for example, as in the above article).

I'm not a big fan of the argument that "well...those poor, dedicated Apple dealers couldn't figure out how to get new customers or grow their business, so tough Apples." If Apple opens a sleek, design-subsidized Apple Store in proximity to yours and controls your margins and stock availability, you have nowhere to go, but out of business as Apple slowly strangles you. Those dealers are just ordinary people - they don't have Apple's resources, and Apple has them by the money and the margins. But more power to Apple - maybe the mothership blitzkrieg will help to fuel a mindshare renaissance. As for marketshare, must ... not ... admit ... weakness ... or ... failure ... Stevie! We need more power from the warp drive!

Here's a predictive, future job posting:
Future ex-manager and ex-employees of the now closed Syracuse Apple Store looking for work. ;)

ps. I actually like Apple, have been a long-time Mac user, and have an extensive Apple doorstop museum stretching all the way back to the Apple ][. Does anyone want to buy a factory-sealed, original MacWrite manual? :D

Quarkie
May 27, 2004, 02:48 PM
As additional context for the previous post, in 2003 personal computer sales increased 10-15% (depend on which analyst you read), while in the 4th Qtr, Apple's marketshare waned below 2% and generally declined for the year. So, assuming the PC industry is growing, Apple share, including "switchers" seems to be declining. Below are some related articles.

PC upgrade cycle commences: Gartner (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040521/95/eu7ej.html) - 2003 PC Sales increase by 10.9%.

PC Sales Show Double Digit Growth (http://www.twice.com/article/CA414563.html?display=Computer+Technology) - This is a Q1 IDC/Gartner 2003/2004 comparison and shows the rationale for Gateway buying eMachines, especially to try and stay competitive in the face of Dell's success and the HP/Compaq merger. It also lumps Apple in with the "Others" categories which show increased unit sales, but no growth in share. But, without specifics, it's difficult to make sense of those numbers.

These are some indicators of Apple's position:
Apple Q4 2003 Marketshare Below 2% (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=8024)

Ads haven't boosted Apple market share (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Jul/20/bz/bz10a.html)

So...dramatic success of The Stores? In the larger context, I don't see it.

Sayhey
May 27, 2004, 07:57 PM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) is reporting on the possible opening of an Apple Store in China.

Apple is considering a retail store in China, according to Sr. V-P Retail Ron Johnson, as reported in a financial analysis issued by stock broker Merrill Lynch. Johnson said there could eventually be more than 100 retail stores, and also confirmed it's "likely" that Apple will open stores in Canada.

Quarkie, I don't have time to respond in full right now, but read the article (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/merrill_lynch_524.html) over at ifoAppleStore and I'll get back to you later. In the meantime get that huge chip off your shoulder about Apple management.

Quarkie
May 27, 2004, 10:11 PM
OK - sounds good. Interesting article. :) Ermmm...also...just because I don't agree with various rosy projections doesn't mean that I have a chip on my shoulder. Please don't assume that I do. Thanks. :)

Sayhey
May 28, 2004, 12:45 AM
OK - sounds good. Interesting article. :) Ermmm...also...just because I don't agree with various rosy projections doesn't mean that I have a chip on my shoulder. Please don't assume that I do. Thanks. :)

I wasn't trying to assume anything; I was responding to what you posted. That includes flights of fancy, very creative flights if I do say so myself, about Steve Jobs and bones of resellers. Also your made up discussions of Apple Execs, while very creative, do tend to give one the impression that you're not exactly sympathetic to their point of view. Be that as it may, I stand corrected and I am happy to know you have no animus toward Apple's management.

Now I'm with you that it doesn't make much sense to just accept everything Apple says as the truth. However, unless there is serious forgery and fraud going on at Apple, something I think needs proof not innuendo, then Apple is doing quite well. Both sales and profits are up and have been for some time. New products that have been critically received are being produced and more and more people, if we believe Merrill Lynch, are looking to Apple as a viable alternative.

The huge downside of this "rosy" picture is that Apple's market share is not growing, and in fact may not be keeping up with the status quo. I would point out that part of the reason for this is that Apple does not "play" in the low-end consumer market. Dual G5 Power Macs are great, but they will not sell in the volume of the $500 PC market. Until Apple figures a way to make money and compete for that dollar it is unlikely that market share will rise in any meaningful way.

However, to getting back to the role of the stores given the above situation. First, I don't think there is a magic bullet that will grow market share (unless the iPod is even better than I think it is.) What is necessary is innovation in products and marketing across the board. The stores represent that innovation in how Macs are sold and advertised. Are they the perfect solution? No, but they are a calculated gamble that seems to be paying off. My hope is that they continue to do so and Apple is able to open stores in areas that have had little exposure to the Mac and other Apple products.

Lastly, I don't know if the resellers who have filed this suit have a legitimate beef. I think I will reserve judgment until it has been proven in court. Even if they do, it doesn't mean that the retail effort was and is not an important step for Apple to take. It would mean that Apple didn't do it in the best way, but I think they realistically had little choice. I'm just glad they didn't follow the Gateway model in how they did this. It is great to follow this and actually have some hope that all this innovation might work.

Sayhey
May 28, 2004, 03:39 PM
Of interest to me is this listing that has appeared on Apple's jobs page.

Title: Retail Product Planner
Primary responsibility is the planning and fulfillment of product to meet demand at the Apple Retail Stores. Proactively manages and maintains replenishment to stores using reporting tools and measurements. Supports store needs and issue resolution through the Product Fulfillment support line. Works cross functionally with RFL team to achieve shared objectives. Works cross functionally with other Apple groups to insure fulfillment of product demand.
Minimum 3 - 5 years product planning experience

Prior retail store planning experience preferred

To date there is only the one Apple store on Regent street in London that has been confirmed, but this would look to be part of setting up the organizational infrastructure for an expansion of the retail effort in Europe. Rumors of a likely Paris store have been hinted at strongly by Apple in the past, but I'm guessing this bodes well for even more stores in other parts of the EU.

Sayhey
Jun 4, 2004, 04:15 PM
Apple has now posted the "official" announcement of the Austin store. It will open on June 12th at 10:00 am.

Barton Creek (http://www.apple.com/retail/bartoncreek/)

Sayhey
Jun 4, 2004, 10:04 PM
Apple has listed job openings normally associated with a Apple store on Monster.com for a new location in Tukwila, Washington. There have been openings for a Lynnwood, Washington (Alderwood Mall), but this the first I've seen of this location. If both are true, then we will have four stores in the Seattle metro area in very short order.

edit: Apple's website now confirms a separate store at the Southcenter Mall in Tukwila, Washington. It looks good for two more Seattle area stores by years end. Look out Redmond, you are being surrounded!

G4scott
Jun 4, 2004, 10:33 PM
Apple has now posted the "official" announcement of the Austin store. It will open on June 12th at 10:00 am.

Barton Creek (http://www.apple.com/retail/bartoncreek/)

I won't be in Austin on the 12th for the grand opening, but I hope to be there on the 20th, when I'll be in town... I'd be in town if I didn't have such bad luck looking for a job... I tried the Apple Store, but I didn't expect to get far there, and I didn't. I then went to the CompUSA in North Austin, but lo-and-behold, after I have my first interview, they lose a large chunk of their budget, and are unable to hire anyone new... Various other ventures in employment have also been unsuccessful...

Either way, the Austin Apple Store is going to be great. I might get to work there someday, but I need retail experience first (being a Mac nut won't get you the job at all!!!)

As for the summer, I've decided to go for AppleCare Technician Training, and getting my A+ certification...

If anyone's going to be at the Austin Apple Store, let us know!

Sayhey
Jun 5, 2004, 07:57 PM
I thought I'd update the list of upcoming stores that have been listed on Apple's Jobs site (http://www.apple.com/retail/) (click on "Apple Store Job Opportunities" in the lower right of the page.) Here is the latest.

1 - Barton Creek Mall, Austin, Texas (to open on June 12th (http://www.apple.com/retail/bartoncreek/))

2 - Danbury Fair Mall, Danbury, Connecticut

3 - Shadyside, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

5 - Rosedale Center, Rosedale, Minnesota

6 - Stonestown Mall, San Francisco, California

7 - Santa Rosa Plaza, Santa Rosa, California

8 - Osaka, Japan (second store in Japan)

9 - Bridgewater Commons Mall, Bridgewater, New Jersey

10 - Rockaway Townsquare Mall, Rockaway, New Jersey

11 - Stoneridge Mall, Pleasanton, California

12 - Victoria Gardens, Rancho Cucamonga, California

13 - Alderwood Mall, Lynnwood, Washington

14 - Christiana Mall, Wilmington, Delaware (first store in that state)

15 - Regent Street, London, England (Apple’s first European store)

16 - Oakridge Mall, San Jose, California (signs (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/photos/oakridge_1.jpg) outside a retail space within the mall have an Apple store opening in “Winter 2004” (from ifoAppleStore.)

17 - Carousel Center, Syracuse, New York (recently added back to Apple’s “drop down” menu of Apple stores - new job listings on 5-26-04)

18 - Southcenter Mall, Tukwila, Washington (no job listings on Apple's website, but job openings are listed on monster.com)

It usually takes four to six months from the posting of listings to opening of the store. This means that for stores to be open for the Christmas shopping season it is likely that new stores will be listing job openings by the end of this month or by the end of August at the latest. At least nine of the stores listed above will be open by Sept. 30th. In addition, the following stores have been reported to be opening from other sources.

1 - Eastern Shore Center, Spanish Fort, Alabama (local newspapers have had Apple as one of the new tenants of the Center with a projected Fall 2004 opening.)

2 - St. John’s Town Center, Jacksonville, Florida (the Jacksonville Business Journal (http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2003/12/08/daily22.html) has a story predicting a March 2005 opening date)

3 - Midtown Manhattan, New York City, New York (from a story in the New York Post (http://www.macminute.com/2003/12/18/5thave) - no job listings or projected opening date)

Other rumors have had possible openings in Paris, Upper West Side NYC (84th & Broadway), Toronto, Irvine (CA), a second Portland (OR) store (Pioneer Center), and the projected start of “mini-stores” focused in universities.

This confirms 97 stores open by the end of the year, with more than 100 likely. So far, only the London and Osaka stores are flagship stores that will open by the same date.

NNO-Stephen
Jun 5, 2004, 11:03 PM
man, seriously, there is a lack of Apple Store-ness in the plains region.

Can we get something in well... OKLAHOMA..... please Apple. specifically Tulsa, so I can get a J O B there and have a nice place to buy computers... there are no authorized dealers in Tulsa except CompUSA... the rest are indie shops... well, shop. and it's in a ****ty area.

please Apple?

but seriously, they got tons of stores in California.

Sayhey
Jun 6, 2004, 09:58 PM
man, seriously, there is a lack of Apple Store-ness in the plains region.

Can we get something in well... OKLAHOMA..... please Apple. specifically Tulsa, so I can get a J O B there and have a nice place to buy computers... there are no authorized dealers in Tulsa except CompUSA... the rest are indie shops... well, shop. and it's in a ****ty area.

please Apple?

but seriously, they got tons of stores in California.

Well, you're getting one in Kansas City shortly. That qualifies as a "Plains" store, doesn't it? I know it doesn't help you in Tulsa, but it is a start for the region. I'm afraid Oklahoma City is much more likely to get a store before Tulsa, but that is just my speculation. Hope you get one in state soon.

MikeTheC
Jun 7, 2004, 05:29 PM
GAHHHH!!!!

I understand what you mean. I don't have to drive 7 hours here in Florida, but I do have to drive about 2.5 each way.

I think Apple world benefit immensly if they realised that America is NOT the whole world. It would be great to see some serious marketing and advertising and placement of new stores in Main cities OUTSIDE the US.

America is not the whole world? Ohmigod, alert the news media!!!

Seriously, I doubt Apple would ignore the rest of the world. They are a major, international corporation. While all corporations tend to be home-country-centric, Apple has traditionally scored higher marks than many others, especially when compared to Microsoft in the area of language and alphabet support.

At last - it seems they will open a store in england.

It'd only take a maximum of 10 stores to cover most of the UKs large shopping malls.... or a similar amount to cover most the UKs main shopping streets.

The UK has 61million people, which is roughly 1/5 of the US, so surely they can afford to open 1/7 of the amount of stores they have currently in the US in the UK?

The Apple userbase is pitifully small in the UK, mainly because Apple hikes the price up so damn much - and also the lack of advertising around for Apple.

I'm hoping that apple does open some more international stores - even if they were only a few per country....

I would not presume to tell you about things in a country I've never been to, but how much of the price point has to do with taxes and not just Apple arbitrarilly charging more?

Great turnout yesterday morning for the Grand Opening of the North Point store. I was about #50 in line (out of probably 500) at 10:00. Nice to have the free t-shirt, but the store is a little small. I like the Lenox Square store better, though North Point is a little closer to me.

I've been to the Lenox Mall location. That is one huge freakin' mall, but the Apple store there is one of the tiniest I've seen. I've been to Tampa International Plaza and Millenia Mall (Florida), Lennox (Georgia), and Legacy Village (Ohio). The largest is the Tampa store. It is a bigger store and doesn't seem so claustrophobic. They have a really nice demonstration area near the rear, and typically an excellent assortment of discount products.

Now, speaking of Florida (which is where I live), Apple definitely needs to pay attention to us as we are (south Florida generally, southwest Florida specifically) the fastest growing area in the U.S. Southwest Florida is also home to average as well as high-income locations, such as Sanibel, Captiva, Naples, and Marco Island.

I think part of the reason we're seeing (especially on that handy map posted earlier) so much future growth in Florida is because of the literally exponential growth we're seeing as a result of a growing indigenous population and a massive influx of people from other states (something to the tune of 1000+ per day at least in this area, don't know about the rest of the state). The median age in Florida is now mid 40s and it is dropping. We are having to open schools for all ranges at a horrific rate. Also, the state was considering increasing property taxes, gas taxes and such (we have no income tax) but elected not to, of it's own volition, because the growth rate is so high that we're getting more money into the coffers based solely on growth than we would by upping the rates.

Speaking of taxes, etc., we are acquiring a large portion of California's departing population for financial reasons in addition to any climate reasons which have existed right along.

Anyhow, I am seriously considering getting Apple-certified and hope to find a sufficient infrastructure here to maybe court Apple for computer work... Hmmm...

Mike

AliensAreFuzzy
Jun 7, 2004, 05:38 PM
GAHHHH!!!!

I'm with you. Personally I think they should put and Apple Store in APPLEton, WI.
I'm sick of having to spend a day driving to go to the nearest Apple Store

MikeTheC
Jun 7, 2004, 06:53 PM
Sayhey, I am sorry but I have to take considerable issue with you on your points regarding the negative effects on local retailers.

First, while I don't think the current retail stores are the main contributing factor in harm done to Apple 3rd party retailers at present, that is only because they are too new a phenominon to have established a significant negative impact. However...

Apple has engaged in practices which have largely obliterated 3rd party dealers and VARs and this is something that has been going on for YEARS. There used to be several Apple dealers in my area. There are none now, and haven't been in probably 5 years. Unless you're from some other planet, you know full well this is pretty-well universally the case across the U.S.

This has far less to do with Apple's declining market share than it has to do with Apple removing the means whereby these companies can make money and therefore survive. Apple shrunk the profit margins allowed to the dealers such that only the most expensive and least-sold products were significantly profitable. Apple changed their repair policies to the point now that there's little point in servicing a Mac -- new or out of warranty -- because either you cannot get paid to do repairs on systems, are restricted in how many component change-outs you can do on a system within a specific period, or are limited in how much labor you can get -- sometimes none at all -- when doing repairs, and if it's out of warranty, getting the parts is extremely expensive and the difficulty increases at an unbelievable rate the further back you go in the generations of Macs out there. And don't even try to imply I'm talking about truly ancient systems, because this situation affects even moderately older systems dating back even 5 years.

I have worked for an Apple VAR myself as a field installer and service tech and (not at the same time, of course) did side work for another regular Apple retailer. Both went belly up within about 2 years of each other after years of successful operations for exactly the same reasons. This is NOT about poor business strategy on the part of the dealers.

The argument you put forth, specifically:

"I do know that if a couple of resellers go under because they can't figure out how to expand the market and get new customers, then as much as I don't like it - it isn't the end of the mac."
is predicated on the theory that a dealer in any area can generate high-volume traffic like a Wal-Mart, Target, et al. This argument's prima facia is flawed. Much as any of us here are dyed-in-the-wool Mac users, let's face it: the Mac market is a LIMITED market for anyone selling into it. You cannot shovel customers into your store if you cannot offer them a product they want to buy. Period. And when you're dealing with the general public, you're not dealing with a facts-based business (i.e.: You don't need a PC just to use Office because the apps exist for the Mac as well), but an opinion-based business (i.e.: I'm not going to buy a Mac because nobody uses them and I have to have a compatible system.)

Without regard to the technical side of this and the merrits that a Mac has because of it's OS over a WinTel system, you cannot sell MORE of something you can sell BARELY ANY of. It is NOT the dealer's responsibility to evangelize the Mac platform to the entire world, which is just about what it would take to change the world-view of computing platforms, recent events of exploits, hacks, and mega-loads of viruses for Window notwithstanding. That job is Apple's.

Apple's retail practices are predatory, and they have always been. I think this is based on an initial knee-jerk reaction to Apple dealers of the 80s who largely were trying, in those days, to put the screws to Apple. Don't anyone even try to argue against that because I have been around long enough to have seen it happen first-hand.

However, I would also argue that there's NOBODY out there who is more dedicated to the proper presentation of Apple's equipment than Apple. To this day, if you go into a CompUSA or MicroCenter or the like and ask to be shown a computer, they will NOT take you to the Mac side of the house unless you happen to get one of Apple's store-within-a-store reps. They will NOT give you accurate answers regarding Macs, and that's largely assuming they can or will give you accurate answers about computers at all. This is no more than a mild version of what Apple dealers in the 80s would do, and at least at this point these non-Mac-oriented reps have the excuse that Windows is more ubiquitious, more popular, and that they sell more software for it.

Mike

Sayhey
Jun 7, 2004, 09:33 PM
Mike,

great points, but let me take issue with a little of your post. First, let me say that I don't dispute that it is hard times for some Apple resellers in this market. It is hard on a lot of computer resellers as the profit margins on each machine go down. That is not just something that is a problem in the Apple side of computers, but as Apple's market share has declined it has certainly put a pinch on their resellers. I'm am also sure that among computer makers and resellers of all stripes there is a constant battle for share of the profits. Apple may well have been cutthroat in its relations to resellers as it attempted to maintain profitability. I don't think we have any real disagreements about any of this - other than if you only see the resellers side of this problem.

Be that as it may, what I do take issue with is the idea that it is not the resellers job to "evangelize" the world for Apple products. I think this idea of some kind of passive relationship to the computer buying public is partly responsible for the mess Apple is in. It smacks of an attitude that if Apple will just make great enough stuff then the PC buying hordes will just breakdown the resellers doors in trying to buy their products. Retail outlets that work that way are doomed to failure.

Let me give you a case in point. I live in San Francisco and have spent a considerable amount of time (and some money as well) shopping at Macadam. This is one of the resellers suing Apple. Now Macadam is a store to make any computer geek happy. It is in the basement of a building in the south of market area not far from some of the poorer sections of the city. It is a store that reminds one of a Army/Navy surplus store in that stacks of stuff are strewn all over the place and in the dim light one can have grand old time both looking for great macs and mac software and have people who know everything about a macintosh make you feel like an uneducated clod. It so happens I like the store. Or I did before the started their lawsuit.

What such an approach to selling Apple products doesn't do is get their products before people who like a pleasant, well-lit shopping experience. It also doesn't do anything to attract buyers who aren't already convinced they want to buy a mac. In short, they don't do anything that the new Apple outlets try to do. I know there are many reasons for this approach. One important factor is that few, if any, of the Apple resellers have the kind of capital to put out in order to construct the kind of stores that Apple is building. That doesn't mean these new type of stores aren't needed. As I've said in other posts, the only way for Apple to break out of a death spiral in this Wintel world is to innovate across the board. That means better products than the competition and better ways of presenting and selling those superior products. The stores are only a part of what is needed in a long and difficult climb out of the hole Apple is in. What in not needed is a continuation of the same kind of sales environment that helped turn people off to what have almost always been great machines.

Lastly, I don't want Apple resellers to go under. I would love to see a place where both Apple stores and Apple resellers do well. I would love to see Apple and their sales partners come to a better understanding without airing their dirty linen in public (something that helps neither side.) But, Mike, I still maintain that for me as a simple consumer the bottom line is that I want to see Apple computers to continue to be available to me. If a reseller can't adapt in this environment then as much as it would pain me to see Macadam or any other reseller go out of business, it is nothing compared to the depression it would cause me, and I think millions of others, if Apple went out of business.

Dave00
Jun 7, 2004, 10:30 PM
Despite Apple stores in fairly nearby Emeryville and Burlingame
[...]

Not to mention Walnut Creek. Hey, what happened to the Apple Store they were supposed to open in Pittsburgh? Not too long ago there was supposedly a monster opening for an Apple Store job in the Shadyside area of Pittsburgh. I want my apple store!

--D

-- Edit: I spoke too soon. Although Pittsburgh wasn't listed in the original list o' new stores, there are several job openings for Pittsburgh at Apple. Bring it on!

MikeTheC
Jun 7, 2004, 10:44 PM
Hey Seyhey!

Great post. I read it and I think you're right: we agree more than we disagree. Some thoughts on things...

Apple may well have been cutthroat in its relations to resellers as it attempted to maintain profitability. I don't think we have any real disagreements about any of this - other than if you only see the resellers side of this problem.

Be that as it may, what I do take issue with is the idea that it is not the resellers job to "evangelize" the world for Apple products... It smacks of an attitude that if Apple will just make great enough stuff then the PC buying hordes will just breakdown the resellers doors in trying to buy their products. Retail outlets that work that way are doomed to failure.

You know, this is exactly what happened with another famous computer company: Commodore. They had a runaway success with the C64, and when they released the Amiga, their attitude was "We're Commodore. We don't need to advertise. People will come to us." You and I would both, no doubt, agree that this was wrongheaded, and explains why they're no longer around.

I view it as being Apple's job to do nationwide and worldwide marketing of their products, and it is the responsibility of local retailers to market the products in their area of influence and to add value to the national campaigns by participating in them and giving customers excellent user experiences with the products. Now, if you're suggesting the dealers should participate in a sort of grass-roots effort of computer technology and platform education, well... that is something I could whole heartedly go along with.

Let me give you a case in point. I live in San Francisco and have spent a considerable amount of time (and some money as well) shopping at Macadam... Now Macadam is a store to make any computer geek happy. It is in the basement of a building... that reminds one of a Army/Navy surplus store...(has) people who know everything about a macintosh make you feel like an uneducated clod.
Sure. I understand that, and you're right: not all clientele would be satisfied with a store like that. It certainly would put off a lot of them. And I agree, as I said in my original post, one must ensure the products are marketed properly. That means in the right environs, and with the right sort of people. You want people who bring credibility to "the table", who are pleasant and are not "ivory tower eggheads."

I would probably add to that that the people you want representing Apple need to also inherently give that sense that "Mac OS is the better product and there is a reason it's better". This can be overdone with an aire of arrogance, but when done right, it comes off as people with a passion who seem to be the calm in a storm.

As a side note completely unrelated to this message, there are a large number of people at the computer call center at which I work who would have no problem with all computer dealers being like this Macadam you describe if only to screen out the idiots and the "because it's trendy" crowd and leave only the computer enthusiast. And, let me tell you, I have days where this is exactly how I feel. Ah, but I digress... :cool:

Lastly, I don't want Apple resellers to go under. I would love to see a place where both Apple stores and Apple resellers do well... it is nothing compared to the depression it would cause me, and I think millions of others, if Apple went out of business.
Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Mike

Sayhey
Jun 8, 2004, 11:42 AM
AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=494) Exclusive
Apple's retail stores are expected to reach over $1 billion in revenue this year and $2 billion next year, according to prepared statements that were presented to Apple Retail employees during the company's quarterly retail store meeting on Sunday.

Over at ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) they are saying

The mainstream press is reporting that Apple's retail stores achieved $1 billion in sales quicker than any retail operation in history. It took just three years, compared to four years by the previous record holder, The Gap. I reported this news back on April 22nd.

No word yet on profits from the stores for 2004 (the figures will be available in October,) but this is looking good.

Mike, I think we agree then? At least on most of it. ;)

whooleytoo
Jun 8, 2004, 12:04 PM
GAHHHH!!!!

7 hours? I could get to the nearest Apple Store in less than that, and there isn't even any Apple Store in my country! (Though, admittedly, I'd have to wait a few months for it to open.. ;) - Regent St. in London)

Proudest Monkey
Jun 8, 2004, 02:19 PM
Back in April upon learning of another Apple Store in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, i posted this on macnn;

The Apple Store locations in Minnesota seem as they are planning an attack on the entire area. Hopefully.

For instance, when I heard that the Mall of America Apple Store was going to be one of the first to open I was thrilled, I couldn't believe it. Most likely because it is a tourists destination and that store is more to get the word out and less for purchasing (purchased my lowly iMac there so long ago), but assumed it would be Minnesota’s only store.

Then the 2nd store in the area was to open, I assumed an affluent, growing suburb located on the metropolitan fringe (Woodbury, Eden Prairie, Maple Grove), with a new or remodeled mall – would be selected, but it was in Edina at Southdale. Edina is an affluent suburb but is an inner ring suburb and only 6.7 miles away from the Mall of America. This store is obviously for purchasing but Southdale Center itself recently completed a massive remodeling project because of the impacts Mall of America has had on the mall.

The next opening (according to monsters.com and appleinsider.com) is at the Rosedale Center in Roseville, also an inner ring suburb and only 25 miles from Mall of America and only 20 miles or so from Southdale. I find this interesting, especially since the Eden Prairie Center recently remodeled and added movie theaters, restaurants, etc, Maple Groves Shoppes at Arbor Lakes shopping center recently opened with space still available and Woodbury is building a similar shopping center and I imagine still space available for lease.

I’m worried about the inner-ring suburb locations because of the impact it will have on other Apple retailers, such as First Tech located on Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis. That store is great, I love it, call and sey hi (612-374-8000, no I don't work for them). However store locations in inner-ring suburbs may kill independent retailers. Something Apple is already accused of, sort of.

Perhaps Apple is planning on locating in all these shopping centers and not killing the independents. That would mean that at some point in time, there would be 6 in the area. That’s a lot of Apple, and I like it.

I no longer believe that Apple will not kill the independents and I could certainly see them locating in the other 3 malls in the area. That would place 6 stores in the core of only 3 million people. Wal-Mart syndrome, lets be honest, this is Minnesota, Target syndrome.

solaris
Jun 8, 2004, 03:07 PM
Guys, there are no nead for you to cry for a missing Apple Store in the US.
Think of us Europeans! If I where to go to the nearest Apple Store I have to take a 15-16 hours flight from Oslo, Norway to the US East-coast (New York?)
Talk about distance! :mad:

Its about time they open some Apple Stores over here as well...

whooleytoo
Jun 8, 2004, 03:09 PM
Think of us Europeans! If I where to go to the nearest Apple Store I have to take a 15-16 hours flight from Oslo, Norway to the US East-coast (New York?)

And it would still probably be cheaper than buying here in Europe! </troll> :p

looklost
Jun 8, 2004, 04:36 PM
I live in the Chicago suburbs and their are 4 Apple stores in the
Chicagoland area. The closest one is in Oakbrook (15 minutes away) but it seems more like a satellite store than a full fledge store (Michigan Ave. now thats a store!). My point is instead of opening stores around the country then going back to fill in the gaps it seems like Apple opens a store in the area then opens another in the same area but puts some distance between the stores to have good coverage in that area. Saturation does very well in sales, this might suck if your hours from a store but this kind of sales technique has been very successful in the past for many companies.

The reason I live in the Chicago Metro area is because I do not what to have to drive for hours just to be where the action is. :D

Proudest Monkey
Jun 8, 2004, 05:34 PM
I no longer believe that Apple will not kill the independents and I could certainly see them locating in the other 3 malls in the area. That would place 6 stores in the core of only 3 million people. Wal-Mart syndrome, lets be honest, this is Minnesota, Target syndrome.

to further illustrate my point (and bc i was bored at work), here is a map that i have made quickly LINK! (http://studentweb.stcloudstate.edu/elmi0001/other/)

Proudest Monkey
Jun 8, 2004, 05:37 PM
Saturation does very well in sales, this might suck if your hours from a store but this kind of sales technique has been very successful in the past for many companies.

well yeah, look at Wal-Mart. and everyone loves when Wal-Mart over saturates a market - especially those small towns that end up with all the vacant store fronts in their historic downtowns.

the best is when there are 3 towns, each of about 5000 people and each about 7 miles apart so each store gets a Wal-Mart. The 2 on the outside get their stores located on the highways that lead into the middle town so that after the downtowns have been closed down, Wal-Mart can close that middle store, leave the empty cow behind, and make even more money.

very successful - yes.
ethical - :confused:

gopher
Jun 8, 2004, 11:15 PM

Oslo to New York isn't 15 hours! Oslo to Hong Kong maybe. Oslo to New York is 8 hours and 35 minutes via Continental airlines flight 39. Actually that goes to Newark NJ, but that is not far from an Apple Store, and not far from New York itself.

Sayhey
Jun 8, 2004, 11:28 PM

Are there no Apple Centre stores in Norway? I know there are in Sweden and I think in Denmark. These stores seem to be a way to get Apple products sold in positive environment without Apple going through all the expense. Not to say there won't be many honest-to-goodness Apple stores in Europe as well. I posted a notice earlier of Apple's jobs site in which their are setting up the support structure in the Netherlands for more European stores. The Regent Street - London store is only the first. A Paris store won't be far behind.

solaris
Jun 9, 2004, 01:20 AM
Oslo to New York isn't 15 hours! Oslo to Hong Kong maybe. Oslo to New York is 8 hours and 35 minutes via Continental airlines flight 39. Actually that goes to Newark NJ, but that is not far from an Apple Store, and not far from New York itself.Ooops, sorry. I have never been over there.
We say 8 1/2 hours then, plus the time it take for me to travel to/from the airports. At least 10 hours in total.

Are there no Apple Centre stores in Norway? I know there are in Sweden and I think in Denmark. These stores seem to be a way to get Apple products sold in positive environment without Apple going through all the expense. Not to say there won't be many honest-to-goodness Apple stores in Europe as well. I posted a notice earlier of Apple's jobs site in which their are setting up the support structure in the Netherlands for more European stores. The Regent Street - London store is only the first. A Paris store won't be far behind.Yeah there are several stores that sell Apple products in Norway. But they are all 3. party shops, not an Apple Store.
As far as I know the only Apple Store outside US is located in Tokyo, Japan.
Just check out this list: http://www.apple.com/retail/ ;)

The 3. party shops are no compare to the official Apple Stores.
* They have not the whole product line on display.
* Not all of them are authorized repair partners.
* The prices are higher.
* Only stock computers, no BTO. (I guess Apple Store has that option?).

Sayhey
Jun 11, 2004, 01:32 PM
Minor note. Apple is now listing openings for the Tukwila store on its jobs website. Curiously, there is no listing for a Store Manager position. Anyway, it is a confirmation of a likely opening date in late 2004.

MikeTheC
Jun 11, 2004, 10:28 PM
Ok, I get the message. I'll quit complaining about having to drive 2.5 hours each way. :p

Mike

jsw
Jun 11, 2004, 10:34 PM
* Only stock computers, no BTO. (I guess Apple Store has that option?).

If it makes you feel better, Apple Stores don't allow BTO either. For instance, you can't get a G5 with Bluetooth installed.

silverpie
Jun 14, 2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah.. I am dying for a store in Nashville too!! where would they do it?

Over in Cool Springs? Opry Mills? Belle Meade?

- Doc

Given that they mention a "suburb" of Nashville, I have to think they were planning Cool Springs. But it seems painfully obvious to me that the best location in town for it would be Green Hills.

Sayhey
Jun 18, 2004, 10:02 AM
Big news for you mac fans out in the Plains region. First Kansas City and now Apple has posted a new store in West Des Moines, Iowa! Perhaps the Plains region is not lost on Apple's retail planning team. There is also news of a new Southern California store in Century City, but that is getting to be old hat isn't it? Congrats to both regions.

Jobs listings are popping up for more new retail stores: the Jordan Creek Town Center in West Des Moines (Iowa), and in the renovated and enlarged Century City (S. Calif.) mall (right) that will be completed in 2005. The former location is new, and scheduled to open this August. The latter location was selected over two years ago, but has apparently been waiting for the renovation project to be completed, which should be some time next year.

ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/)

Both stores are also listed on Apple's "drop down" menu at its jobs website.

ipodrocker
Jun 18, 2004, 10:20 AM
whats the story why is there no apple stores in canada! come on jobs get at least one in canada

Sayhey
Jun 18, 2004, 12:17 PM
whats the story why is there no apple stores in canada! come on jobs get at least one in canada

This is the latest I've seen of any report concerning Apple stores in Canada.

AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=462)

Photorun
Jun 18, 2004, 12:51 PM
Though where there's wills there's ways, something to think about all you peeps while griping and beeyaatching on there not being an Apple store at the corner of your blocks. In a couple instances I've heard Apple wanting to put an Apple store in an upscale mall or area but the area can't or wont compromise with Apple. A kneejerk would be that Apple probably wants too much (huge area, tax breaks, etc.) but that actually doesn't seem to be the case.

They were looking to put an Apple Store in the Carousel Mall (or as locals call it "CareofSmell Maul") which is a fairily large vaguely supposedly upscall mall in Syracuse, New York. The Mall is owned by a relatively greedy company called Pyramid Group which is run by this guy who's bilked taxpayers and local businesses out of millions to get rich by your usual corporate sleezy scumbag ways, he looks a bit like Steve Ballmer but with less soul... if that's possible. Anyhoo Syracuse is a prime Apple ground, home of a bunch of universities (SU, Lemoyne, etc.) and one of the biggest MUGs in the Northeast, it's got a huge hardcore Apple fanbase. Apple wanted to put an Apple Store there since 2001 for early 2002 and Syracuse is, far all intent and purpose, a rustbelt town, dying economy, lots of old factories, the blue collar mentality, dying areas of the city, sprawl to the north, inner city crime to the south, there really isn't any good place to put an Apple Store EXCEPT Carousel Mall, that's just the way it is, there's no other really upscale concentrated area like in other cities, if there is they're small and out of the way, it just wouldn't be practical.

Apple began talks with Pyramid and Scumbucket Congel to put the Apple Store in back in 2001 but they wanted an arm and a leg, over and beyond what say even a Lord and Taylor or other boutique store would be paying, this word was passed from an admin who once worked for Pyramid/Conget but the sleaze was oozing on her so she left to do something better (like kick puppies or steal ice cream from babies would be better). Apple wanted to put a store in, but their efforts were met with ridiculous rules and contracts, perhaps because Pyramid was in bed with Dell with stuff, and perhaps because Congel knew Apple is upscale computers for smarter, often more wealthy people, he thought he deserved a cut... not really sure, but every time Apple approached, and impasse was reached, and it usually was from in fact the mall being completely unreasonable.

The short of this, or moral to the story, sometimes Apple can't put in because they want to be in a prime location (and can you blame them?!?) but those locations for one reason or another are hostile or unreasonable to Apple.

Keep it in mind.