PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP My IMac G5 wont start up!

Denri
Jun 17, 2008, 10:49 PM
My IMac G5 wont start up and i checked and the power supply and logic board are both working fine. First it would just go to a blue screen when i started it up, so i put in my restore disc and went to disc utility and wiped the hard drive then tried to reinstall OS X but the installation got to 75% and then the computer just restarted and now when i try to turn it on it just stays black and i cant boot off the disc. PLEASE HELP

BamaDMD
Jun 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
My IMac G5 wont start up and i checked and the power supply and logic board are both working fine. First it would just go to a blue screen when i started it up, so i put in my restore disc and went to disc utility and wiped the hard drive then tried to reinstall OS X but the installation got to 75% and then the computer just restarted and now when i try to turn it on it just stays black and i cant boot off the disc. PLEASE HELP

When you say black, do you mean like zero activity? No screen characters whatsoever?

shwc
Jun 17, 2008, 11:31 PM
Are you sure you installed using the correct install disc (e.g. a disc supplied with a macbook will not work on a MacPro to say nothing of a G5 iMac)? If you are using a generic install disc, one that was bought in a separate box, then you are OK.

Are you sure you are trying to boot off the install disc and not your bad install? Try...
1) Shut down computer (press and hold power for about a minute, this forces a shutdown)
2) Turn on computer while holding down the C key (this will force the computer to boot off the install disc (assuming it is inserted into your CD/DVD slot).

You can also try zapping your P-ram (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379) to see if that will unstick your computer.

Also try to booting into safe mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455)

If you are unable to boot off of the install disk, then chances are you are experiencing a hardware problem (e.g. bad ram, logic board etc.). Your can try removing the ram in your computer and replace it with a stick from a friends computer (thereby determining if your ram stick(s) are bad).

ximon
Jun 18, 2008, 04:12 AM
My iMac G5 (17", 2.0 Ghz, ALS) just died recently with similar symptoms.

First it started crashing alot. Then it started crashing just after booting. I decided to reinstall but when I booted from the Leopard disk the installation got partway through and then hung every time. I booted from its original Tiger disk and the OS installed but the iMac would only boot to a blue screen afterwards.

I took it apart and had a nose around and found a dead capacitor on the logic board (presumably part of the GPU since booting to a blue screen usually means a GPU problem).

Price to fix it: 900.
Price to replace it: 1000.

Guess which one I'm gonna do?

So anyway, have a poke around inside and look for 'sploding capacitors, they look a bit like popped popcorn kernels. Unfortunately, if you can't see any that doesn't necessarily mean that they're all good, but if you do find one or more at least you will know the cause of your problems.

J@ffa
Jun 18, 2008, 05:28 AM
My iMac G5 (17", 2.0 Ghz, ALS) just died recently with similar symptoms.

First it started crashing alot. Then it started crashing just after booting. I decided to reinstall but when I booted from the Leopard disk the installation got partway through and then hung every time. I booted from its original Tiger disk and the OS installed but the iMac would only boot to a blue screen afterwards.

I took it apart and had a nose around and found a dead capacitor on the logic board (presumably part of the GPU since booting to a blue screen usually means a GPU problem).

Price to fix it: 900.
Price to replace it: 1000.

Guess which one I'm gonna do?

So anyway, have a poke around inside and look for 'sploding capacitors, they look a bit like popped popcorn kernels. Unfortunately, if you can't see any that doesn't necessarily mean that they're all good, but if you do find one or more at least you will know the cause of your problems.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Maybe this'll be relevant to you?

ximon
Jun 18, 2008, 05:33 AM
http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Maybe this'll be relevant to you?

Thanks, but that only applies to the model before mine, so I'm SOL.

However, maybe it applies to the OP's iMac, we don't yet know exactly which model he has...

eXan
Jun 18, 2008, 05:46 AM
O_O threads like this make me worry for my iMac ALS!

So far it's been working fine (except for the DVD drive not wanting to properly record some DVD-Rs)... *knock* *knock* *knock* :eek:

ximon
Jun 18, 2008, 09:35 AM
So far it's been working fine (except for the DVD drive not wanting to properly record some DVD-Rs)... *knock* *knock* *knock* :eek:

Yeah, mine stopped burning DVDs about a year ago. It would do everything else, just not DVD burning.

Luckily you can replace the optical drive in these iMacs relatively easily, before mine died I was considering doing just that, I could have got a new drive for about €75.

Seems like these problems might be common then, I thought I was just cursed! :D

Does yours make enough fan noise to render iChat useless too?

eXan
Jun 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah, mine stopped burning DVDs about a year ago. It would do everything else, just not DVD burning.

Luckily you can replace the optical drive in these iMacs relatively easily, before mine died I was considering doing just that, I could have got a new drive for about 75.

Seems like these problems might be common then, I thought I was just cursed! :D

Does yours make enough fan noise to render iChat useless too?

It doesn't burn properly only DVD-Rs though, DVD-RWs are fine lol. I use MacBook to burn them now anyway. :)

I don't audio chat on iMac, but during voice recordings it does record the moving air noise. If I need to audio (or video) chat I use MacBook because it has iSight :)

Denri
Jun 18, 2008, 02:30 PM
yeah i have a 17" IMac G5
my problem was exactly like ximon's except now it just doesnt show anything when i turn it on and i used the proper disc.

IJ Reilly
Jun 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
You probably have a hardware issue of some sort. Reinstalling is very often a bad idea when the Mac has such an obviously catastrophic problem. Passing the hardware test is not very meaningful. You could try swapping out RAM if you've added any.

eXan
Jun 18, 2008, 09:11 PM
yeah i have a 17" IMac G5
my problem was exactly like ximon's except now it just doesnt show anything when i turn it on and i used the proper disc.

There were 5 models of 17" iMac G5. Which one do you have?

Denri
Jun 19, 2008, 07:58 PM
i looked around in my imac and i couldnt find any dead capacitors.
and my imac is a 17"/2.0/512/super/56k/BT/AP

ximon
Jun 20, 2008, 03:13 AM

Ouch, that's the same as mine. I'm afraid it certainly seems like you have a dead logic board, ergo a dead iMac. An authorised service centre will be able to confirm this for you.

eXan
Jun 20, 2008, 03:16 AM

O_O same model as mine!

Now I'm even more worried :eek:

Denri
Jun 22, 2008, 03:46 PM
damn, are you sure its the logic board? because i did the check thing where you take off the back and turn on the computer and if the light turns on it means the logic board is working

IJ Reilly
Jun 22, 2008, 05:49 PM
"On" is not the same as "working."

ximon
Jun 23, 2008, 01:13 AM
Those little lights are about as much use as the Apple Hardware Test - both reported that all was well with my iMac in spite of my capacitor popcorn.

Denri
Jun 23, 2008, 12:33 PM
damn

dilbert4life
Jul 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
What are you going to do with your old machine then?

From what I can understand from the previous posts, there is a relatively simple, although time consuming and very tedious, fix for your computer.

Just replace the blown capacitors. (By the way, I only recently joined MacRumors, but that does not mean I am in any way a "newbie" when it comes to repairs and such. So please refrain from replies to this post with such useless rabble as "He doesn't know what he is talking about...Blah blah blah..:))

I would be willing to fix it for you, or even buy it from you and thereby subsidize the price for your purchasing of a new machine.

Let me know.:apple: