Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I just though I'd post my recent purchasing experience.

I had read a lot of the reviews/opinions regarding the Macbook Air and finally bit the bullet. Excited, I took my Air back home to eagerly unbox it. Upon first glance, the computer looked great. When I set it on the table, however, the thing rocked back and forth. It wouldn't have bothered me, but each time it rocked, the screen shook. Upon closer examination, I discovered three hairline scratches on the underside of the case, as though it had been set down roughly.

I took that Air back and had a very pleasant experience at the Apple store. The Genius told me that it was unacceptable and replaced it without question. I also opened the box in the store and checked for a wobble. Everything checked out.

When I got my second air home, I double-checked for wobble and was happy to see that it still didn't exist. I booted up the computer and was about to click through the setup menus when I realized that the button underneath the trackpad was very loose. In fact, it was often unresponsive and even got caught under the case on one occasion. The entire thing rocked back and forth. Taking a closer look at this one as well, I noticed that the magnetic pull between the screen and the bottom of the computer was almost non-existent.

Frustrated, I called the manage to report my situation and reluctantly made the 40 minute trip back to the store. Again, the genius was helpful, but this time he seemed to be skeptical, as though I were purposefully damaging the laptops for some undefined purpose. He even tried to convince me that the button was not that bad before finally admitting that it was an obvious defect.

Still, the Genius was courteous and helpful. Before I left the store this time, I did a complete, 100% check of the computer. There was no wobble, it booted up perfectly, and the magnetic latch was strong. I noticed a few of the same hairline scratches on the bottom of the case, but I told myself that I could live with them.

I've had the working Air for a day now, and I'm wondering how I ever managed without it. I take it everywhere with me and it has already become an invaluable tool.

And here's the kicker... At the time of the original purchase, I took advantage of the Back-to-School promotion and bought my girlfriend an iPod Nano. She finally opened it the other day, and realized that the port on the bottom would not accept the charging/usb cable. I also tried it and it is impossible to go in. I tested the cable on multiple iPods and it works flawlessly, so it must be the iPod.

I feel like a fool going back to the Apple Store, but it's necessary. I'm not going to spend $200 and get a faulty product. Though I'm a recent Apple convert, I'm already a little disappointed by the lack of manufacturing quality (though I have had many PC laptops fail me, just not all from the same company...). Here's hoping that I won't have any more problems.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Air?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Bad experience, yes. Decent outcome, yes. Funny enough when I took back a wireless keyboard with a squeaky little spacebar they said "it was made in China..I am not surprised."

Weird but yes, Apple's QC is ****. Sorry.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
In the end it always ends up working out fine for Apple, and maybe with the exception of the receipt and rebate, there shouldn't be anything linking the MBA and the nano, so that sense of being skeptical shouldn't be present.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
In the end it always ends up working out fine for Apple, and maybe with the exception of the receipt and rebate, there shouldn't be anything linking the MBA and the nano, so that sense of being skeptical shouldn't be present.

Yeah, you're right. It's more the 40 minute drive than anything. It's just a little annoying, I guess.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Yeah, you're right. It's more the 40 minute drive than anything. It's just a little annoying, I guess.
If it isn't on your list of priorities, see if there is a way to mail it in, save the gas with today's prices.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If it isn't on your list of priorities, see if there is a way to mail it in, save the gas with today's prices.

Mail something in when it is only 40 min away? I guess since I am a so. cal. resident 40 minutes is the so-called "dream commute". Standing in line at the post office takes longer than 40 minutes.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008

I may do that. Perhaps I'll even call the manager again, explain the situation and tell them that I'll bring it in when I'm in the neighborhood. I know that it's not their policy, but they should make an exception for someone who just wasted $20 or more on gas...

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Mail something in when it is only 40 min away? I guess since I am a so. cal. resident 40 minutes is the so-called "dream commute". Standing in line at the post office takes longer than 40 minutes.
It is up to them, for me, 40 minutes to a store is a bit much, but then again I have one Apple Store within 5 minutes of my house, another within 20, and then the largest in the US within 30, so finding an Apple Store isn't an issue for me. And I pass 2 of those on my daily commute, but all of those times depend on traffic, on a Saturday morning, the route of my commute is only 15-25 minutes, but on any weekday, it is a good 75 minutes with good weather, and well over 100 if there is snow, got to love that New England Weather.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008

I live in Wisconsin, so I'm not as used to the long lines. In fact, I had to drive to Chicago today and was about to kill someone after the amount of time I had to wait in traffic...

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
I'm taking things for granted.....:rolleyes:

Nearest Apple store is a 15 mins drive from my doorstep....its 25 mins by train...

But I live in Singapore....:D

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Sounds like a quite a run of bad luck.

I think you should take the iPod back without hesitation. I know I would.

I've bought quite a few iPods without an "out of the box problem" in any. Apple computers have been a different story even though my Air has had less problems than my MB's & MBP's. Got lucky on that one I guess...

Good luck.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My first MBA's hard drive died on day 4 while I was snowed in at a hotel during an ice storm. :D And my nearest Apple store was a 2 hours drive at the time!

Got that machine replaced and the second one worked like a dream! Of course, then I had to sell it so I could afford to move to So Cal. But, I guess it was worth it now that there is an apple store less than 5 miles away. :p

Glad things are starting to work out for you. Congrats on the switch!

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
My first MBA's hard drive died on day 4 while I was snowed in at a hotel during an ice storm. :D And my nearest Apple store was a 2 hours drive at the time!

Got that machine replaced and the second one worked like a dream! Of course, then I had to sell it so I could afford to move to So Cal. But, I guess it was worth it now that there is an apple store less than 5 miles away. :p

Glad things are starting to work out for you. Congrats on the switch!

Yikes. That timing is just awful. At least with my Air problems I still had another computer. And really, what is there to do in a hotel for such a long time?

I'm so glad I made the switch. I've been using a Macbook Pro as my main machine, and it has been great for the last year. In buying the Macbook Air, my goal was to completely eliminate PCs from my home computing setup. I had been using a Dell on the road because of its portability, but the battery took a dump after only a year.

I don't think I could ever go back.

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
Yo dude. Yeahness! Another Singaporean. haha. Hmm. I believe this may be just a QC prob which affects a small number of us. hehe..:D:D:D

Hi Famyzz,

Nice to know we're from the same area....

My MBA had a small dent on the keyboard....Thank goodness it was discovered when I was checking it b4 buying at store(MI)....

That's reason why I dun get these stuff online....

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Dear,

I love my MBA air 1.8/SSD very much but mine also had issues out of the box:

-Bended chassis
-Damaged track bar
-Stucked red pixel
-Non-working magnetic latch
-HF sounds from the left of the keyboard
-Extremely fast core shut down after 2 days

I get it replaced by Apple... but still waiting for my replacement since it was not in stock..:(

I love Apple and I even love the MBA more. But this kind of bad quality control for such an expensive product is bad :( You pay a premium price for a premium product. This is really something Apple should improve.

With kind regards,
Bas

shrtmkr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
the apple
I'm on my 3rd air also.
First one's HDD died on me on the first week.
Second one had a faulty tracpad(not flat and a loose click)
Now I'm on my 3rd one and this one seems to get core shut downs every time I try to watch a video on youtube. I'm not sure that I go and talk to the geniuses! at the store. About that made in china issue. I know a lot of companies that produce their products at china but I never seen such a bad QC like in apple's situation.

What do you say guys should I go to the store and get it fixed? Anyone went to the store on the core shut down issue?

kleo

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
I think you would be a really good candidate for a dell pre-installed with Microsoft vista. this clearly isnt for you.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I think you would be a really good candidate for a dell pre-installed with Microsoft vista. this clearly isnt for you.
I'm sorry, but where are you coming from here? He is not paying for a cheep $500-$800 PC laptop, he is forking out over $1800 for a computer. If I were him, I wouldn't have even settled for the 3rd one because of the scratches on the bottom (but then again, you start to wonder if you will ever get a perfect one). When you are paying a company nearly $2000 (after taxes) for a computer, then you shouldn't expect anything but the best and perfect quality, it is a huge investment.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
Sounds like Apple should have called Deming when it came to the QC issues. OH wait he is dead? American auto makers should have used him. OH wait they did then did away with his ideas after the War. MAN

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Lately I've been disappointed in their QC department. I think as they try and expand to more users, QC suffers. Just stick to your guns and if you have problems deal with as soon as possible. I know it's frustrating now, but once it gets worked out, you'll really love your Apple products.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I'm sorry, but where are you coming from here? He is not paying for a cheep $500-$800 PC laptop, he is forking out over $1800 for a computer. If I were him, I wouldn't have even settled for the 3rd one because of the scratches on the bottom (but then again, you start to wonder if you will ever get a perfect one). When you are paying a company nearly $2000 (after taxes) for a computer, then you shouldn't expect anything but the best and perfect quality, it is a huge investment.

I almost didn't settle for the one with the scratches, but I figured that I was going to throw an Invisible Shield on it, so it wouldn't matter anyway. Honestly, I just wanted to use the computer that I spent $1800 on. It got to the point that I just wanted a functional computer and I cared less and less about cosmetic imperfections.

UPDATE: My girlfriend took her ipod back and they exchanged it with no problem. Actually, the genius confirmed that it was a known issue and that they get a multitude of returns on ipods now. The Genius said that they changed the manufacturing process and now ipods are suffering.

I think this may be a farther-reaching problem than the Airs. I'm just hoping that the iPhone 3G is built a little better...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.