Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's an issue of hardware and battery.

The iPod touch does not have 802.11n-capable hardware so it's not going to be a simple software update - the iPod touch would need to be redesigned and re-tooled to have the new wireless card inside it. So no - the current iPod touch will never support 802.11n.

There is also the issue of battery, would an 802.11n iPod touch use more battery or not?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
It is most certainty not a software upgrade, it is a hardware issue, but I also suspect that it sucks in a lot more battery power, and there isn't really a need for it, as after all, it is a mobile device.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It is most certainty not a software upgrade, it is a hardware issue, but I also suspect that it sucks in a lot more battery power, and there isn't really a need for it, as after all, it is a mobile device.

The best reason for having WiFi n on the touch (or iPhone or any other portable device) is that if you connect a non-N device to a WiFi N network, performance of the whole network drops dramatically. I've got round the issue by having two separate WiFi networks (One N and one G) but it would be easier just to have one!

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
The best reason for having WiFi n on the touch (or iPhone or any other portable device) is that if you connect a non-N device to a WiFi N network, performance of the whole network drops dramatically. I've got round the issue by having two separate WiFi networks (One N and one G) but it would be easier just to have one!
Okay, I guess experience tells best, I don't have a N-router, just a crappy G, so I guess that when using a G on an N there is a noticeable difference.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I hadn't thought about the problem with mixed networks (N and G together). It seems unlikely, though, that N will find its way to the Touch without it reaching the iPhone first. (We've got separate B and G networks in our house for similar reasons, just a few years behind).

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
I can't come up with a good enough reason why one would need/want 802.11n in their iPod touch. The 802.11g standard can stream anything that the iPod can display. You could theoretically stream HD quality video if the iPod was capable of displaying it. Not many people in the world have a 54mbps+ internet connection so that would go to waste. Then again, the iPod would be a bottleneck because it can't keep up (safari rendering, etc).

So, why would you want 802.11n on the iPod Touch? (other than Phil A.'s reason)

Joshua.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.