PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.3.2 7D18 (Server and Client) Seeded

MacRumors
Dec 6, 2003, 10:09 AM
Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.3.2 7D18 Server and Client to developers, following in the footsteps of 7D15 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031122005243.shtml) and 7D12 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031118095649.shtml).

Mac OS X Client is reported to have improvements in Core OS, Graphics, Imaging, USB, Printing, International TExt, Core Services, Cocoa Framework and Applescript.

Mac OS X Server is reported to have improvements in Kerberos support, Server Admin and Workgroup Manager applications, Network Image Utility, QTSS Publisher, PostScript Printers, and MySQL.

The Mac OS X 10.3.2 update is due for final release (http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=253) by the end of this year.

dho
Dec 6, 2003, 10:12 AM
I am glad to see that they are making progress.

Anyone have any idea how large the file is currently?

~Shard~
Dec 6, 2003, 10:21 AM
Good to hear! Keep it up Apple - with every update, Panther will be come even better and better. (Hopefully!)

Powerbook G5
Dec 6, 2003, 10:22 AM
It sounds like .2 is going to be a pretty major update to Panther.

Freg3000
Dec 6, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It sounds like .2 is going to be a pretty major update to Panther.

I agree. I think Spymac had an article on how 10.3.1 was mainly psychological, as it did not so much (it was only a few megabytes). Looks like 10.3.2 will have a lot of fixes in it.

ITR 81
Dec 6, 2003, 10:35 AM
Looks like Apple will delievery this one for Christmas.

Bring it on!

I want my Safari 1.2 please!

JJTiger1
Dec 6, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
10.3.1 was mainly psychological
{snippage}

Dare I say it: The G5 is all hype.

My QS G4-733 single processor running 10.3.0 feels as fast as a G5 2.0 duallie running 10.2.7.

The G5 2.0 ghz dual processor running Panther should feel at least three times faster than my G4.

The G5 duallie running Panther feels only marginally faster than my G4.

We should all benefit from the work being put into Panther to release the speed of the G5's.
=-=
JJ

greenstork
Dec 6, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JJTiger1

My QS G4-733 single processor running 10.3.0 feels as fast as a G5 2.0 duallie running 10.2.7.

The G5 2.0 ghz dual processor running Panther should feel at least three times faster than my G4.

We should all benefit from the work being put into Panther to release the speed of the G5's.
=-=
JJ

Stop trolling

djcobb44
Dec 6, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Looks like Apple will delievery this one for Christmas.

Bring it on!

I want my Safari 1.2 please!

Amen to that! I had to switch over to Mozilla Firebird because Safari seems so unstable lately.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 6, 2003, 11:26 AM
Sounds like good progress. Wow Apple is just working hard to get new things out.

negrito
Dec 6, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by JJTiger1

=-=
JJ

what are you talking about?! i don't know what you are feeling but to compare two systems it is never good to just "feel".

i think you can't "feel" or rather see (on your screen) a difference in speed when just open safari or by reading mails. i work on a dual g4 1ghz and a dual g5 2ghz with panther 10.3.1 everyday and i stopped (with a chronometer) many rendering, opening, exporting, filtering etc operations on my most used programs like photoshop 7, illustrator 10, finalcut pro 4, flash mx 2004, dreamweaver mx 2004 and maya 5.

the only thing that i found out with my benchmarks is very logic and simple: most tasks (about 70%) are twice as fast on the dual g5. some are lower than twice as fast and some are higher than twice as fast. all this is just because the g5 (2ghz) processor runs at double speed of my g4 (1ghz). the g5 isn't mumbo jumbo! the main reason of its speed is the higher clockrate.

i don't want to discuss abstract benchmarks because i'm not interested in. i want some real application tests and at least i measured the speeds in seconds rather than just "feel" the speed.

btw: there wasn't a big difference in application speed between 10.3.1 and 10.2.8. the only application which really runs faster in panther is the finder and that's it. ...well that's already a lot...

i'm sorry (or not :confused: ) that you can't feel your powermac but at least i know that i bought a good machine that is at least as twice as fast as a dual g4 1ghz

SeaFox
Dec 6, 2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by djcobb44
Amen to that! I had to switch over to Mozilla Firebird because Safari seems so unstable lately.

You make that sound like a bad thing!

wHo_tHe
Dec 6, 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by negrito
what are you talking about?! i don't know what you are feeling but to compare two systems it is never good to just "feel".Give me a break. How fast a computer feels is the one benchmark that actually matters to most people. Most people don't time their computers any more than they time their coffee machine brewing or their garage door opening. They just know it's "faster than the old one" or "slower than the one at work."

Apple knows people want their computers to feel fast. Why do you think they write commonly-used files to a disk's fastest area? Or cache applications for faster relaunches? They're not stupid, and, in fact, they should do more to make their computers feel faster, like improving network directory display speed, or folder pop-ups in the dock.

Don't get me wrong, of course you are right that a dual G5 is much faster than previous models. But don't sell short how fast something feels.

macnews
Dec 6, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by wHo_tHe
Give me a break. How fast a computer feels is the one benchmark that actually matters to most people. Most people don't time their computers any more than they time their coffee machine brewing or their garage door opening. They just know it's "faster than the old one" or "slower than the one at work."

I agree, however, the two machines are running two different versions of OS X. I have the same machines at work but both running 10.2.7. I can tell you the "feel" of the G5 dual just kicks butt to the G4. Simple test, one 52 page magazine built in Indesign opens faster, scrolls faster and saves faster than on the G4 - to the tune of at least twice as fast in all but the scrolling. For scrolling it is 4x as fast, of course that I tribute in part to the better graphics card.

Now, if I just looked at internet, email, word, excel - not much of a noticable difference. Startup a little faster but hard to really notice because both are so short (relatively).

One little tip for those of you running a dual G5 2 Ghz under 10.2.x - make sure you have your programs optimized/update otherwise it will be slower. We were so excited to get up and running on our new G5 we didn't fully update Indesign - or remove a pesky font auto-activation from Suitcase. When we ran Indesign the thing was SLUG slow. I mean a 500 Mhz G4 was faster with ID! Once we removed the Suitcase plugin and updated ID all the way - flet like we were flying a jet fighter.

ddbean
Dec 6, 2003, 12:10 PM
[i].

Anyone have any idea how large the file is currently? [/B]

Quote from Macommunity "On Friday, Apple released Mac OS X Update 10.3.2 Build 7D18 to it's developers with paid accounts. This update is 35.7 MB."

Helmut Kool
Dec 6, 2003, 12:15 PM
I'm using 10.3.0 now because 10.3.1 seemed to break disk image file opening. Is it fixed in the current 10.3.2?

manu chao
Dec 6, 2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Helmut Kool
I'm using 10.3.0 now because 10.3.1 seemed to break disk image file opening. Is it fixed in the current 10.3.2?

Check macintouch.com, over there somebody is claiming that if you update from 10.3.0 to 10.3.1 without having mounted at least one image in 10.3.0, mounting will be broken in 10.3.1.

Trowaman
Dec 6, 2003, 12:57 PM
This present under the tree says it's from Apple to all the Mac users. Merry X-mas to us all! I could deal with this present from Steve-o.

mustang_dvs
Dec 6, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by dho
Anyone have any idea how large the file is currently?

Well, I don't think my NDA lets me tell you the file sizes. But, if I were to go by the book, megabytes could seem like kilobytes.

By the book, the client update would be more than 30kb, and the server update would be more than 50kb... going by the book...

kherdin
Dec 6, 2003, 01:21 PM
Hopefully this update will be well-tested and won't break things, like 10.2.8. That's always a danger with big updates, so many things are changed that the chances that something breaks are pretty high, so let's all hope that Apple tests this one thoroughly.

CaptainCaveman
Dec 6, 2003, 01:46 PM
But, if I were to go by the book, megabytes could seem like kilobytes.

Heh. I never could figure out how Khan could've been SO DENSE as to not figure out what they meant...

ITR 81
Dec 6, 2003, 02:48 PM
Hmm 35.7 megs now....by the time this sucker is released it will probably 40 or over 40 megs to DL. Looks like a long night for us 56k users.

Wonder Boy
Dec 6, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
Wow Apple is just working hard to get new things out.

they better work hard considering all the screw ups in the initial releases.

maybe we've been spoiled, but i dont think all theses security updates and OS patches should have been there in the first place. apple is slacking a little...

MY 300st POST!

Helmut Kool
Dec 6, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by manu chao
Check macintouch.com, over there somebody is claiming that if you update from 10.3.0 to 10.3.1 without having mounted at least one image in 10.3.0, mounting will be broken in 10.3.1.

Thanks! I can't be sure if that was the reason, but now I have a working 10.3.1 installed.

ddbean
Dec 6, 2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
Well, I don't think my NDA lets me tell you the file sizes. But, if I were to go by the book, megabytes could seem like kilobytes.

By the book, the client update would be more than 30kb, and the server update would be more than 50kb... going by the book...

I'm sorry and excuse my newbie question but are you saying that your Apple Dev NDA explictly prevents disclosure of a file size? (Or was this some sarcastic joke I missed)

mvc
Dec 6, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by CaptainCaveman
Heh. I never could figure out how Khan could've been SO DENSE as to not figure out what they meant...

Yep, I guess this time it would be
"Wrath of Apple". Is Apple really that dense as well?

I think that updates & fixes are just an inevitable part of the development process, not a QA issue.

Apple have always released major OS versions full of bugs that also break lots of 3rd party software, (remember System 8.0 anyone, or 7.5?).

System 9, with all its failings, was by far and away the most stable and well behaved OS they had made before the big jump to UNIX, everything before that was riddled with problems, and it STILL took 20 years to get there.

So, considering that, I think they are doing an AMAZING job with OSX so far.

gopher
Dec 6, 2003, 05:01 PM
Here's to hoping one extra feature not mentioned makes the cut...no more firmware updates necessary for third party Firewire hard drives. They weren't under 10.2, and the fact that they are under 10.3 and 10.3.1 to avoid data loss puts many in an imposition when faced with a Firewire 400 or Firewire 800 case that has not had its firmware update offered by its manufacturer. Even target disk mode is problematic under 10.3 and 10.3.1. This should not be the case, and you should ask that Apple fix it at http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

3-22
Dec 6, 2003, 05:28 PM
I hope the USB mentioned is a fix for us having the USB picture corruption on the Dual G5's. I've been waiting so patiently...

:mad:

mustang_dvs
Dec 6, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by ddbean
I'm sorry and excuse my newbie question but are you saying that your Apple Dev NDA explictly prevents disclosure of a file size? (Or was this some sarcastic joke I missed)

The NDA I am party to stipulates that I cannot disclose non-public information gained via my ADC membership. In a strict interpretation, this could include the file sizes, but I doubt Apple will care, considering the vague (and negligibly humorous) aspect of my post and the fact that the specific information has been posted by others.

Daschund
Dec 6, 2003, 07:27 PM
Are they improving the constant apps crashing on 10.3.2 also???

Daschund

gopher
Dec 6, 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Daschund
Are they improving the constant apps crashing on 10.3.2 also???

Daschund
Apps don't crash in 10.3.1. If you are experiencing unexpected quits or kernel panics, please read these two FAQs:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@169.4UG0aTNhnd6.5@.599820df

http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html

Either a preference, driver, permissions or directory is out of whack or not compatible with Panther, or you are experiencing a hardware issue like bad RAM as RAM can go bad at any time.

milatchi
Dec 6, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by gopher
If you are experiencing unexpected quits or kernel panics, please read these two FAQs:

I would but Safari crashed when I clicked on them. :D

gopher
Dec 6, 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by milatchi

Your system really needs some help.
Try using Mozilla or Explorer instead of Safari.

MattG
Dec 6, 2003, 10:35 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix this waking-up-from-sleep issue I'm having with my G4. I know I'm not the only one...there's an Apple technote on it.

Gymnut
Dec 6, 2003, 11:09 PM
Who rated this negative??

Longey Nowze
Dec 7, 2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by MattG
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix this waking-up-from-sleep issue I'm having with my G4. I know I'm not the only one...there's an Apple technote on it.

what kind of problem? I think i having something similar, or it might be nothing... sometimes when i use my PB on battery power and the screen shutdown I can turn it on... it hasn't happened lately though... maybe I was just stupid?

Thank you
MaT

MattG
Dec 7, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Longey Nowze
what kind of problem? I think i having something similar, or it might be nothing... sometimes when i use my PB on battery power and the screen shutdown I can turn it on... it hasn't happened lately though... maybe I was just stupid?

Thank you
MaT When I push a button to wake it up, I get prompted for my password (which is right...that's how I have it set), but as soon as I enter it, the desktop comes back up for a split second, then the computer goes back to sleep. It does this EVERY time.

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2003, 03:21 AM
When I push a button to wake it up, I get prompted for my password (which is right...that's how I have it set), but as soon as I enter it, the desktop comes back up for a split second, then the computer goes back to sleep. It does this EVERY time.

Do you have a sleep corner on your screen?

Foocha
Dec 7, 2003, 06:04 AM
I've read many post from users experiencing instability with Safari - it's odd because it's rock solid for me, and by far and away the fastest browser on my machine.

Anyone else experiencing stability with Safari?

iwantanewmac
Dec 7, 2003, 07:18 AM

Doesnt have to be your system...

I used my mac on several different routers. On some it is totally screwed up when it comes out of sleeping mode on others it is just fine..
So the router is really the problem here.

JJTiger1
Dec 7, 2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by milatchi

You may have a broken pref.

trash: com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

A new .plist will be built automatically.

Safari will be stable ... for a while.
=-=
JJ

hayesk
Dec 7, 2003, 10:22 AM
Your system really needs some help.

Agreed. I haven't had a Safari crash in weeks. And I use it a few hours every day.

hayesk
Dec 7, 2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Do you have a sleep corner on your screen?

Same thing happens to my wife's iBook. She does not have sleep corners set.

AppleMatt
Dec 7, 2003, 10:29 AM
Not incredibly interesting, but InternetConnect.app has been updated also (it's not in the list, unless it falls under Core OS).

AppleMatt

Powerbook G5
Dec 7, 2003, 11:13 AM
Safari has never crashed on me since day one of using OS X, so it can't be that Safari is unstable but that there is a conflict that many people are having.

AidenShaw
Dec 7, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
I used my mac on several different routers. On some it is totally screwed up when it comes out of sleeping mode on others it is just fine..

So the router is really the problem here.

Sounds like there's a problem in OS X that it is sensitive to something about router configuration.

The router might be the trigger, but there's a bug in the operating system if the router can make the OS fail.

Powerbook G5
Dec 7, 2003, 12:02 PM
I've had a lot of problems with my router with Panther, too, but I just attributed it to poor network implementation by my college more than anything since it sucks on OS 9, Jaguar, and XP on my roommate's HP laptop as well.

idkew
Dec 7, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by wHo_tHe
Give me a break. How fast a computer feels is the one benchmark that actually matters to most people.

and those people buy iMacs, not top-of-the-line dual g5s. you are talking of a completely different customer.

From Win to Mac
Dec 7, 2003, 12:43 PM
Imagine the ruckus that Apple will cause if they release 10.2.3 with the Dreamweaver problem still there...
it's not gonna be pretty. But that's what new seeds are for right ? :p

Daschund
Dec 7, 2003, 12:58 PM
Apps don't crash in 10.3.1. If you are experiencing unexpected quits or kernel panics, please read these two FAQs:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@169.4UG0aTNhnd6.5@.599820df

http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html

Either a preference, driver, permissions or directory is out of whack or not compatible with Panther, or you are experiencing a hardware issue like bad RAM as RAM can go bad at any time.

Man, so either all my preferences files are bad or I might need to throw my G5 on the garbage... :)

Actually it's funny that Safari doesn't crash on me. Photoshop doesn't either... All other apps I use do... Never happened in Jaguar. As soon as I updated to Panther it started. And it's very annoying to have this happen in the middle of an important project... :(

Daschund

BWhaler
Dec 7, 2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Foocha
I've read many post from users experiencing instability with Safari - it's odd because it's rock solid for me, and by far and away the fastest browser on my machine.

Anyone else experiencing stability with Safari?

Safari crashes all the time on my iBook, rarely on my PowerBook.

AidenShaw
Dec 7, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I've had a lot of problems with my router with Panther, too, but I just attributed it to poor network implementation by my college more than anything since it sucks on OS 9, Jaguar, and XP on my roommate's HP laptop as well.

Obviously, router problems will show up as networking problems - not much that any OS software can do to fix a misconfigured network.

The earlier post suggested that the router was responsible for the "system won't wake from sleep" issue.

Just as obviously, a router problem shouldn't make it impossible to use your computer - any effects should be limited to problems accessing the network.

wHo_tHe
Dec 7, 2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by AidenShaw
Just as obviously, a router problem shouldn't make it impossible to use your computer - any effects should be limited to problems accessing the network. True, although in this day and age, many if not most common tasks involve accessing the network at some point, right? I mean, we're all doing it right now...

AidenShaw
Dec 7, 2003, 03:18 PM
double-click, two posts - sorry

AidenShaw
Dec 7, 2003, 03:21 PM
True, although in this day and age, many if not most common tasks involve accessing the network at some point, right? I mean, we're all doing it right now...

Actually, most of the work that I do on my laptop is done away from the network....

ZipZilla
Dec 7, 2003, 06:55 PM
Are we ever going to have a finished, polished OS? For the past 3 years OS X has been a moving target.

With Apple releasing a brand new OS once a year and making major updates every 6 weeks, when are developers just going to throw up their hands?

Powerbook G5
Dec 7, 2003, 07:13 PM
An OS will never be "done", that's the nature of software development. I'd rather have OS X continually updated and improved than have it stuck at a certain state for years without any development being done with it.

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2003, 08:52 PM
If they use the guidlines set by Apple and they don't use system files that they shouldn't then there is no problem for the developers.

Also now with XCode things got even better. I would much rather have an OS that evolves to be better and better rather then a system that gets more and more bloated.

Also it's nice having a system that when updates come out it's to make improvements. Not to fix thousands of holes.

gopher
Dec 7, 2003, 08:55 PM
My favorite improvement is that Mail finally supports attachments that Windows users can read and so can everyone else.

ZipZilla
Dec 7, 2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
If they use the guidlines set by Apple and they don't use system files that they shouldn't then there is no problem for the developers.

Unfortunately, with each point release whole specs are changing...for example, printing changed totally between 10.2 and 10.3. Personally, I don't mind, but when I hear of developers having to hold up releases by months to reconfigure, that concerns me.

ZipZilla
Dec 7, 2003, 08:57 PM
My favorite improvement is that Mail finally supports attachments that Windows users can read and so can everyone else.

I agree...a welcome change. Especially with AOHell 8-9 users.

Powerbook G5
Dec 7, 2003, 09:04 PM
That is nice, I had the worst time sending picture attachments to friends still on AOL when using Mail.

g4pismo
Dec 7, 2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by ZipZilla
Are we ever going to have a finished, polished OS? For the past 3 years OS X has been a moving target.

With Apple releasing a brand new OS once a year and making major updates every 6 weeks, when are developers just going to throw up their hands?

I was kinda hoping that we would never see Apple finish. I like new shiney operating systems that even in a .0 release kick the crap out of anything M$ has put out :-)

ZipZilla
Dec 7, 2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by g4pismo
I was kinda hoping that we would never see Apple finish. I like new shiney operating systems that even in a .0 release kick the crap out of anything M$ has put out :-)

Amen....when is Longhorn coming out? 2006? LMAO

g4pismo
Dec 7, 2003, 09:07 PM
guess they should call it Longwayout.. or Longpileofcrap :-p

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2003, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately, with each point release whole specs are changing...for example, printing changed totally between 10.2 and 10.3. Personally, I don't mind, but when I hear of developers having to hold up releases by months to reconfigure, that concerns me.

That's true but would you rather have a half done crummy printer support and leave it at that so that no programs are broken or an update that breaks programs but is a vast improvement?

You can't hang on to the old just because if you update it it will break support. That's what happened with XP. It's a bloated pig because they chose to support all the old hardware. At some point they have to break old hardware in order to improve the system. People running old hardware don't need the new system the old one isn't suddenly unusable.

Krevnik
Dec 7, 2003, 09:46 PM

Actually, you know what... as a programmer myself, I say it was the programmer's fault for letting it get that bad. Or the guys telling the programmers what to do. It is hardly Apple's fault in this case because they have given programmers about 3 years to update to the new printing API and migrate from the one sitting around since System 7.

There are some companies out there who when you tell them it will take X time to do the port, and Y time to do the port RIGHT... they will pick X every time, even if it takes X+Y time to go back and fix things in the long run because it was done in terms of bare minimum.

Not to mention the programmers who write the software can occasionally work on huge pieces of software and not WANT to do the extra work required. However, I tend to want to go the extra mile and make sure everything is done right and to spec so that I have less fuss later on. Entrenched companies can't or don't think this way.

g4pismo
Dec 7, 2003, 09:54 PM
I really don't want to start a /. discussion here, but operating system changes that require driver/application updates, do kinda keep a lot of folks employed. Itís like a small ecosystem. If it is always Apples responsibility to check to see if a change in the OS will affect Bobs Printer, Scanner Toaster Oven. We would still be on OS 7.5. While it may suck for the 108 people that use Bobís product, the dev. team for Bob isnít so obsolete anymore. These folks are now good to buy another Mac. And the Circle of Life continues.. Queue Elton John.. IHMO

Sunrunner
Dec 8, 2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by g4pismo
I really don't want to start a /. discussion here, but operating system changes that require driver/application updates, do kinda keep a lot of folks employed. Itís like a small ecosystem. If it is always Apples responsibility to check to see if a change in the OS will affect Bobs Printer, Scanner Toaster Oven. We would still be on OS 7.5. While it may suck for the 108 people that use Bobís product, the dev. team for Bob isnít so obsolete anymore. These folks are now good to buy another Mac. And the Circle of Life continues.. Queue Elton John.. IHMO

Good point. In fact many argue that is why the IT industry embraces with such tenacity a manpower-sucking OS known as Windows... such a crappy OS keeps lots of admins, helpdesk people, techies, and flunkies employed....

MacBandit
Dec 8, 2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Sunrunner
Good point. In fact many argue that is why the IT industry embraces with such tenacity a manpower-sucking OS known as Windows... such a crappy OS keeps lots of admins, helpdesk people, techies, and flunkies employed....

Well that is another side of the coin but the completely opposite one from the point that was being made.

In our case things are broken due to improvements in the OS not flaws and a lot of time developers not supporting there software in any where near a timely manner.

mcsjgs
Dec 8, 2003, 11:33 AM
It looks as if 10.3.2 will be a pretty comprehensive bug-fix. See list of all affected files here:

Complete File List (http://www.rumortracker.com/framesets/macrumors/index.html)

(no comment on NDA) I would think that 10.3.2 would be fairly stable with other minor fixes coming in .3 and .4 bug-fix releases.

Some people say that 10.3.5 will be the first to introduce new features. This would be following the trend in past OS X releases.

Predicition: many more happy campers after 10.3.2.

MacBandit
Dec 8, 2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by mcsjgs
It looks as if 10.3.2 will be a pretty comprehensive bug-fix. See list of all affected files here:

Complete File List (http://www.rumortracker.com/framesets/macrumors/index.html)

(no comment on NDA) I would think that 10.3.2 would be fairly stable with other minor fixes coming in .3 and .4 bug-fix releases.

Some people say that 10.3.5 will be the first to introduce new features. This would be following the trend in past OS X releases.

Predicition: many more happy campers after 10.3.2.

Agreed, though I don't think it will fix problems from bad installations. If someone is having a problem due to a dirty update install an .x bug fix release will not fix that.

AppleMatt
Dec 8, 2003, 05:53 PM
Can someone enlighten me on the new features introduced with the 10.2.x updates?

I'm pleased with the progress of the 10.3.2 build, it seems as if Apple are really working to remove all bugs. I've got a 4-week holiday fast approaching so I might look through all the "Panther Bug" threads and see which still exist after (GM) 10.3.2.

AppleMatt

Krevnik
Dec 8, 2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Can someone enlighten me on the new features introduced with the 10.2.x updates?

Well, nothing major, just things like:

Journaled HFS+ support
2D Acceleration for ATI Rage Pro LT
Sunken widgets for metal apps

Pretty much stuff that wouldn't help
sell extra copies, but are nice improvements that were completed before the next major version was deep into development.

visor
Dec 9, 2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
they better work hard considering all the screw ups in the initial releases.

maybe we've been spoiled, but i dont think all theses security updates and OS patches should have been there in the first place. apple is slacking a little...

I think they where right to mova ahead with panther the way they did. OK, the filevault isses and firewire bugs where major things that shouln't have happend, but most likely they wouldn't have found those bugs in the beta test because they rare configurations are not likely to be tested that much.

As it is for me, panther runs way faster than jaguar, it feels good, which is most important to me as I hate to work on a slow feeling computer, and it solved most of my network conectivity, or rather lost connection, problems.
With panther, you don't have to be ashamed to sit beside a win notebook with your ibook, when it comes to interface speed.