PDA

View Full Version : The New 'Tar

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2002, 03:00 PM
Someone will probably ask, Dukestreet, what happened to 'Show Me The G5', so I'm posting a thread - which has been done before for 'tar changes.

I got tired of it. I had hoped to have seem some indication from Apple that the G5 was on the way, but it doesn't look good, so I decided to take a vacation from my 'tar.

That's what the new one is. A vacation pic of Malamala Island in Fiji that I took there in 98. If you want to see a bigger version, go to this thread.

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4873

Beej I think is using it for his desktop, scroll down to the bottom for the large one.

I'll have another animated 'tar in a few weeks, till then enjoy the view.....:D

Geert
May 13, 2002, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry that somebody got flamed over it, I loved your G5 expression.

Love this one too, though must agree, the other one was catchier.

btw did you create the background yourself?

cleo
May 13, 2002, 03:16 PM
Very mellow... I like it!

BTW, I posted over 100 last week, so it won't be long before yet another avatar will join the crowd! :D

Mr. Anderson
Somebody got flamed? Hmm, didn't catch that one. The background is a picture I took, the icon is the Lightwave Icon. All done in photoshop and ImageReady.

I've really become a fan of Image Ready lately. Every time I've gone in an tried something its worked, and I haven't even read a manual or doc on it. That's a pretty slick little package. :D

Ensign Paris
That 'Tar seriously rules, it might possibly become my favourite 'Tar!

Ensign

Ensign Paris
May 13, 2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Somebody got flamed? Hmm, didn't catch that one. The background is a picture I took, the icon is the Lightwave Icon. All done in photoshop and ImageReady.

I've really become a fan of Image Ready lately. Every time I've gone in an tried something its worked, and I haven't even read a manual or doc on it. That's a pretty slick little package. :D

When ImageReady was back at version 2 & 3 I never liked it, infact, I hated Animation Gifs, now I use version 7 and it quite clearly rocks, I really like it, although I only used it to make my avatar :)

Ensign

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
When ImageReady was back at version 2 & 3 I never liked it, infact, I hated Animation Gifs, now I use version 7 and it quite clearly rocks, I really like it, although I only used it to make my avatar :)

The ease with which you can create movement, inbetween frames and the like is truely wonderful. And you can do it to separte layers, adjusting any setting. That's how I did the Lightwave logo. I loaded in a 3 layer photoshop image, clicked on the single frame and added a duplicate, then took the logo layer in the second frame and reduced its opacity to 0. Clicking the inbetween button, I added 9 frames and 'voila', instant smooth transition. I love it.:D

Beej
May 13, 2002, 10:18 PM
Super-sweet avatar dude. And yeah, I'm using that pic as my desktop. So's my sister! :)

Because I run my 19 incher @ 1600x1200 and the pic isn't quite large enough, I stretched it to 1200 wide, then cropped it 16:9. Then I put black strips above and below it, just like watching a DVD.

It's sweet. Can't wait to go there. Any suggestions as to what I should do while I'm there? I'm staying on the South coast of the main island.

jefhatfield
May 13, 2002, 10:40 PM
people are going to start commissioning you for avatars here;)

Mr. Anderson
May 14, 2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Beej
It's sweet. Can't wait to go there. Any suggestions as to what I should do while I'm there? I'm staying on the South coast of the main island.

Where are you staying? I was at the South Coast myself, both times I went. Spent some time up in the North West on a cruise to the Yawasawa Island group too (where they filmed the Blue Lagoon), but Sigatoka is cool, we were 30 minutes east of there.

Go check out why website for a few more pics. I never did get all of them up, its a shame. But sometimes you just don't have that much time.

www.dukestreet.com look under the travel section, its a bit out of date.

Backtothemac
May 14, 2002, 08:15 AM
I really like the new one. I think that it has a very smooth feel to it. Its got a real touch of class you know? Anyway, kudos on the new one, it won't be long before I am there with you.....

B2TM

Beej
May 14, 2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Where are you staying?Outrigger Resort.

cleo
May 14, 2002, 10:11 AM
1) How big is an avatar?

2) Can it be a transparent gif?

3) Related Q: I've been playing around this morning and came up with what will be my avatar in about two weeks (at this rate :)). I'm using Paint Shop Pro on my Windows machine because I'm using vectors. Does PhotoShop let you use vectors? Or is there a Mac program that will let you use both vectors and rasters? (In PSP you can have both within the same image, on different levels).

Ensign Paris
May 14, 2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by cleo
1) How big is an avatar?
[/B]

50x50

Yes

3) Related Q: I've been playing around this morning and came up with what will be my avatar in about two weeks (at this rate :)). I'm using Paint Shop Pro on my Windows machine because I'm using vectors. Does PhotoShop let you use vectors? Or is there a Mac program that will let you use both vectors and rasters? (In PSP you can have both within the same image, on different levels).

Photoshop can do very limited vector art but that is until you rasterize it. I would advise you use a combination of PShop and Illustrator (or for animatied gifs image ready.

Ensign

Mr. Anderson
May 14, 2002, 10:59 AM
I've got a few more things to add here, things I've learned trying to tweak as much as possible out of the 'tars I've done.

Originally posted by cleo
1) How big is an avatar?
Ensign had the dimensions right but you also are limited to 20k. If you do an animated gif you need to keep this in mind. I would highly recommend Image Ready for the optimization. My 'Show Me The G5' avatar pushed the limits of what you could get away with.

Again, Image Ready really does a good job of this.

Go ahead and make the image in PaintShopPro, but save it as a tiff or bmp and import it to Photoshop. Make it 100x100 or bigger, so you can resize it there a and play with it to get it right. Then bring it in to ImageReady.

If you do have the option and the transparency part is tricky to knock out by hand, try and save the file as an eps or even pdf file. Photoshop can import those file formats. Although I think the best way might be to get the artwork in Illustrator and then go to Photoshop, its worked best for me.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your tar soon!

cleo
May 14, 2002, 11:24 AM
Heh, guess I was a little unclear there. Actually, I just finished the whole thing in PSP. I was just wondering about Photoshop because I'm going to be buying it soon and don't want to still be stuck going back to PSP on Windows.

<usual rant>
PSP is such a great little program, I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't port it over. It's $100 and millions times more powerful that PhotoShop Elements... seems like there would be a huge market for it!
</rant>

I can't wait for you to see my 'tar, either! :D

Mr. Anderson
May 14, 2002, 11:58 AM
Outrigger Resort.

Outrigger Resort.

Do they have a online link? I think that was the resort down the road from where I stayed, the Hideaway Resort.

One thing you might want to check is the when the moon will be up. I still remember walking on the beach with the full moon down there, all the stars and it was so frigin bright, sort of like that scene in Contact.

When do you go? And for how long?

mcrain
May 15, 2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
people are going to start commissioning you for avatars here;)

Then we'll have to make sure its reported on his income tax return and appropriately taxed. (I need the new money mouth smiley)

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by mcrain

Then we'll have to make sure its reported on his income tax return and appropriately taxed. (I need the new money mouth smiley)

Ha, I have this base covered much more than you think. My wife is a CPA and a Manager of State and Local Tax for XM Satellite Radio. I haven't had to do bills or taxes since we started living together, she does them all. I think partly because she's a tax geek, but also because I'd probably mess it all up.

But if I did do 'tars for people and they wanted to reemburse me for my efforts, I'd just want something from their home town/state/country for my desk at work. You couldn't tax that.

Macmaniac
May 15, 2002, 10:49 AM
Very nice Tar! I can't wait to get mine! I have to think of something cool.