Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
I am trying to achieve a similar effect to this photo by Dan Heller:

dan-light-painting-5-big.jpg

I was trying to do a proof-of-concept shoot with my fiancee just to see if I could get a similar effect. I have a nikon D60, was shooting with a 18-55mm lens. I also have in my possession a SB-600 speedlight. I made sure the room was completely pitch-black, set the shutter to bulb and framed my fiancee on an arm chair. I then illuminated her with the flash (not timed to the shutter - just by pressing the button on the speedlight). I then asked her to move position and repeated it. The result is as below:

with_flash.jpg

As you can see, she came out like a ghost. I then thought that the flash was either too fast or not powerful enough so I simply flicked the light switch on. The result is again, rubbish:

with_light.jpg

What could I do to improve things?

MadDoc,

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I'm a bit confused, I'm no photographer but I'd have thought all you do it set up your cam on a tripod so that the shots are always taken from exactly the same position. Take several shots with your subject in different positions, then cut them all together as one in Photoshop :confused:

hank-b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
The flash is too powerful and too far away from her. It's lighting up the bit of room behind the other position she's going to sit in which is then ghosting through.

I agree with the previous comment though - much easier to Photoshop this kind of composite image.

HB

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
You could try using a snoot (google it or try strobist.com), putting more distance between each figure or using a torch. Also, yes, lower the flash power and zoom it in.

Play around! Don't be afraid to pp raw either.

Jeromie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2005
Photoshop or not, one thing you'll want to do is add a snoot to your flash. A snoot is a tunnel that you fire your flash through. It will let you aim your flash more precisely, so you won't be lighting up the whole room when you trigger your flash. You can learn more about snoots here.

Also, keep in mind that there are only two ways to adjust the power of your flash (barring filters and such) - directly adjusting the power output on the back of the flash, and adjusting the aperture on the camera. Changing the shutter speed doesn't affect the amount of light you get from the flash.

While photoshop is certainly one way of doing this, you should be able to get pretty close with one take in the camera. You'll just need to control where your light is going more precisely.

Oh, one more thing - make sure that the photograph is actually turning out black without the flash at the shutter speed and aperture you're using. Stop down the aperture if you need to get things darker.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
One simple concept..... multiple exposure.

If your camera to do multiple exposures then set your camera up for that. Each time Dan moves is one photo, then a fifth for the light painting.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Thanks for the help guys,

I will try playing around tonight with lower power settings first of all and using a torch. If that is not successful then I might go out and get a snoot (great name btw). I'd rather do it in a single exposure rather than use photoshop (I just think it seems more like real photography if you use PS as little as possible).

I'll let you know if I have any success :)

MadDoc,

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Thanks for the help guys,

I will try playing around tonight with lower power settings first of all and using a torch. If that is not successful then I might go out and get a snoot (great name btw). I'd rather do it in a single exposure rather than use photoshop (I just think it seems more like real photography if you use PS as little as possible).

I'll let you know if I have any success :)

MadDoc,

Multiple exposure in the camera. :rolleyes:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This is not achievable without multiple exposures or some serious trickery.

I agree. The OP's image is transparent because she doesn't stay in the same place for the entire exposure. She will have to underexpose the image slightly and do multiple exposures in camera to get a solid figure, then do the light painting on a separate frame as well.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Think about it - each time you flash you are exposing the area of the wall behind the woman. So you're getting 1/2 wall and 1/2 woman in your image.

Photoshop composting will allow you to "overwrite" the wall with the woman's image. You can't do it even with multiple exposure in camera UNLESS you are very careful NOT to light anything on the wall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.