PDA

View Full Version : Storage Solutions for our OUT-OF-CONTROL iTunes Libraries

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Mac In School
Sep 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
My music, which is the only thing all household computers need to access, is stored on a USB external drive that is connected to one of my AEBSs. We don't share the library. We share the media, but all 3 computers in the house have their own libraries. Obviously "let iTunes manage..." is turned off. I back that drive up to a portable hard drive maybe once a month when I add music.

Movies are another story. I've just started ripping all my DVDs. Right now I'm storing them on a LaCie 2big Triple (hardware RAID 1) set to "mirrored". The enclosure houses 2 750 GB drives, and it's connected to my Mac Pro via Firewire 800. Once this fills up, I'll pick up another and daisy-chain them together. I'll probably get the 1 TB x 1 TB next time. I thought I'd save a little money the first time out.

Does anyone know how many of these drives I can daisy-chain together via Firewire 800?

Thanks.

haze
Sep 2, 2008, 12:14 AM
Does anyone know how many of these drives I can daisy-chain together via Firewire 800?

Thanks.

More than you'll ever need. :)

starcat
Sep 2, 2008, 03:18 AM
I think that you can daisy chain about 16 firewire drives.

Mac In School
Sep 2, 2008, 08:03 PM
Y'all bought a bright spot to my cloudy day. Thank you. :)

fivepoint
Sep 4, 2008, 09:53 AM
As I find myself entering the Apple video world...

If I was you, based on the information provided, I would take the simplest route possible. I would get your 1TB iMac, just like you said, and then back it up via Time Machine with a 1TB Time Capsule or 1TB drive connected through an Airport Extreme.

I personally wouldn't worry about drive failure redundancy past 2 drives (original and time machine backup). The odds of losing 2 drives at once, due to drive failure, is definitely not good. However, getting that third 1TB drive would be a great idea. Keep it at a friends' or family member's house and back it up every month or so. This is a great protection against fire and other natural disasters.

Good luck!

dieseltwitch
Sep 7, 2008, 08:59 PM
Heres what i got. Still a work inprog.
some later addons to be made:
MacBook Pro
a 32in Samsung TV
and a 2nd :apple:TV
Library Stats
464 Movies (Grows EVERY DAY!!)
1637 TV Eps (SAME!)

refulgentis
Sep 8, 2008, 03:28 AM
Heres what i got. Still a work inprog.
some later addons to be made:
MacBook Pro
a 32in Samsung TV
and a 2nd :apple:TV
Library Stats
464 Movies (Grows EVERY DAY!!)
1637 TV Eps (SAME!)
What enclosures are you using? I have a very hard time finding a reasonably priced dual-bay USB 2 enclosure. Also will it accept PATA drives? I'd like to combine my old 500 GB Western Digital PATA drive with a new SATA 1 TB in one enclosure.

Keebler
Sep 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
Silently, with wishful thinking, I'm hoping part of Apple's big ipod related announcement tomorrow is a home theatre media device.

I know it's very hopeful thinking b/c there's been no rumours, but maybe...just maybe - who knows - maybe a new media focused mac mini? or something?

I know there are tons of ramifications of such a device, but one has to think they'll bridge the gap b/n the mini and atv. Both are great in their purpose, but you know Apple....they like to innovate :)

cheers,
keebler

dieseltwitch
Sep 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
What enclosures are you using? I have a very hard time finding a reasonably priced dual-bay USB 2 enclosure. Also will it accept PATA drives? I'd like to combine my old 500 GB Western Digital PATA drive with a new SATA 1 TB in one enclosure.

mine are really Black Metal Gear Box Galaxy Dual Bay SATA RAID Bays (couldn't find a good picture of them) not knowing what PATA is i have no idea if they will take them or not. i got both my bays on eBay for 80$ a piece.

eegger
Sep 8, 2008, 01:25 PM
mine are really Black Metal Gear Box Galaxy Dual Bay SATA RAID Bays (couldn't find a good picture of them) not knowing what PATA is i have no idea if they will take them or not. i got both my bays on eBay for 80$ a piece.

I went with this Macally case at Newegg, ( SATA only )through in 2 1TB Seagate drives and it's running great, just USB2.0 though, if it had firewire, it would rock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347021

dieseltwitch
Sep 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
I went with this Macally case at Newegg, ( SATA only )through in 2 1TB Seagate drives and it's running great, just USB2.0 though, if it had firewire, it would rock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347021

I tried running Fire Wire but always had problems with i linked em to each other.

Flyinace2000
Sep 8, 2008, 07:20 PM
I just finished my 2TB RAID5 project. I am using a dual 1Ghz g4 server with a RocketRaid2220 with 4x750gb drives. Gives me just over 2TB of usable space. I use Leopard server to share the content to my xbox (connect360) and my iMac. The iMac is connected via gigE and the 360 is 10/100. Right now i am at about 25% capacity.

prayforsnow
Sep 9, 2008, 04:48 AM
Glad I found this thread, as I have a couple of questions for when I decide to upgrade my itunes/time machine storage and backup.

1.) Am I right in asuuming that if I buy a drobo to store an Itunes library and serve an Apple TV/PS3 it needs to be hooked up to a computer that is permenantly on?

2.) If the above is the case and assuming I do not want my iMac on constantly, can anyone suggest a better alternative than either...
a) using a hacked apple tv running osx so that it can serve itself or
b) using a macmini with a hacked version of frontrow to mimic the apple tv OS

Both options can be done with abit of hacking but I just wondered if there is another alternative to the drobo that can serve the itunes library itself? I may have read that the HP Media servers can do this but am not sure if they are mac compatible?

3. If I encode my DVD's using handbrakes appleTV option are these playable on a PS3?

Thanks for any advice

Patriiick
Sep 9, 2008, 05:37 AM
My personal setup is a macmini 1,83 C2d running leopard, and i use frontrow for accessing my DVDs (converted).

For now, I have two Lacie Mini drives underneath (320go each) mirrored Raid1 and they hold all my movies and hence all my itunes library.
They power off when the mini is off.
Simple, no hassle, quite cheap (got a good deal on the lacie drives on ebay), silent.

Yes, i had to encode all my DVD,s but it rocks now..

The macmini is a slightly better solution than AppleTV because i do all the handbraking on the Macmini itself...
I can still rent and watch movies on itunes of course so i'm not missing much..i think..

just my 2cts.

dieseltwitch
Sep 9, 2008, 04:27 PM
I also like the mac mini. but i also love my apple TV. my next up grade is to take my 2TB worth of HD's and move them to a mac mini running Lep Serv. and let that do the dirty work. That way i can just keep the MacMini in a the closet (cooled) with the hard drives and the AirPort Ex. and only have the apple TV on the actual TV

.mark.
Sep 9, 2008, 04:54 PM
I also like the mac mini. but i also love my apple TV. my next up grade is to take my 2TB worth of HD's and move them to a mac mini running Lep Serv. and let that do the dirty work. That way i can just keep the MacMini in a the closet (cooled) with the hard drives and the AirPort Ex. and only have the apple TV on the actual TV

I've thought about leopard server on a mini but couldn't find anything useful that it does that normal leopard will for these tasks. what extra features will you be using?

.mark.
Sep 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
I can still rent and watch movies on itunes of course so i'm not missing much..i think..

just my 2cts.

I don't think you can rent in HD from a mac, you need atv...

dieseltwitch
Sep 9, 2008, 05:21 PM
I've thought about leopard server on a mini but couldn't find anything useful that it does that normal leopard will for these tasks. what extra features will you be using?

You know you make a good point. Lep runs just fine i will probably just stick with that. never really thought about it till now. lol

.mark.
Sep 9, 2008, 05:24 PM
You know you make a good point. Lep runs just fine i will probably just stick with that. never really thought about it till now. lol

haha looks like I just saved you about £300!

dieseltwitch
Sep 10, 2008, 08:31 AM
haha looks like I just saved you about £300!

Your my Hero! :)

MadBryan
Sep 11, 2008, 06:07 AM
I don't think you can rent in HD from a mac, you need atv...

I think Jobs just said at the event you can now watch HD right from your computer (got my drobo yesterday)

.mark.
Sep 11, 2008, 10:28 AM
I think Jobs just said at the event you can now watch HD right from your computer (got my drobo yesterday)

he was talking specifically about tv shows - dunno if this includes movies but it should!

MadBryan
Sep 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
he was talking specifically about tv shows - dunno if this includes movies but it should!

Thats a good point. Your right.

Ol!ver
Sep 14, 2008, 04:13 PM
Still can't rent HD movies from another other than an ATV.

What's the lowest spec Mac Mini I could use for serving media to an ATV?

zack123
Sep 15, 2008, 04:08 AM
A question for those running a Drobo: How fast is it over FW400, connected to a mini? Can you watch HD media with it?
And how is it over GigE? (the mini beeing the server with the Drobo)

starcat
Sep 15, 2008, 05:42 AM
I think Jobs just said at the event you can now watch HD right from your computer (got my drobo yesterday)Yes, running VLC, but there is no support for commercial bluray discs.

starcat
Sep 15, 2008, 05:50 AM
I just wondered if there is another alternative to the drobo that can serve the itunes library itself? I may have read that the HP Media servers can do this but am not sure if they are mac compatible?All you need is either samba or NFS sharing of the volumes where your files/media is located and this can do any computer including the HP media servers (official statement here: http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447351-0-0-225-121.html). Of course probably the best way for sharing is from a Linux box running rock solid software RAID5 and serving media via NFS over GigE. The problem with leopard and RAID5 is that there is no support for software RAID5 and you need a dedicated RAID5 card and I don't trust the firmware in cheap RAID5 cards. If there is ever a hitch, you loose your data. Software RAID5 is very stable (you can recreate the volume even on another computer) and its performance is enough for a home media solution.

Ol!ver
Sep 15, 2008, 06:17 AM
Just had an idea for a nice and cheap solution to my problem:

I've got an old Toshiba laptop (1.7GHz P4m, 768MB RAM) sat doing nothing. Couldn't I just go and buy a 1TB NAS device and use the laptop to serve from it to the ATV? I'm not going to need any more space for a long time, so this sounds like a nice and cheap solution. The laptop shouldn't draw too much power either.

Thoughts?

starcat
Sep 16, 2008, 02:27 AM
Oliver, don't see a problem here. In case you need GigE and don't have it on the motherboard, just plug a PCMCIA card. Same for eSata or Firewire.

DaveOZ
Sep 20, 2008, 04:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez2TAk45wgw&eurl=http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=184553

Cheffy Dave
Sep 20, 2008, 05:15 AM
Drobo, several of my friends have one, and are very happy with the solution;)

Cheffy Dave
Sep 20, 2008, 05:21 AM
I got a Drobo (http://drobo.com/) and it ranks pretty high on my list of my better tech investments. It's like RAID, but expandable on the fly; you can mix and match hard drives.

Watch their video (http://drobo.com/drobodemo.html) here.

-Completely automated and self configuring
-Works with Time Machine
-There is an available GB network attachment for it called the "DroboShare".
-They dropped the price a little recently.
-quiet

CONS:
It can take up to four 1-terabyte drives to get 3TB of usable space because of overhead and data protection. Check out their capacity calculator (http://drobo.com/drobolator/index.html).

It's USB2, but I've heard they may be coming out with eSATA and FW-800 solutions. USB2 is more than enough, as long as you don't need to run any intensive applications off of it.

http://drobo.com/ Front page Dude, it's out-FW800

Donar
Sep 20, 2008, 01:11 PM
Both options can be done with abit of hacking but I just wondered if there is another alternative to the drobo that can serve the itunes library itself?
I use a Synology NAS DS207+ at home. It has an integrated iTunes server, acts as an UPNP AV compatible server and does SMB and AFP. It succesfully streamed movies to my PS3 and served iTunes and Amarok over daap: with music. Unfortunately the 2 x 750 gig drives (Raid 1) are filled 99,9999999999999%

3. If I encode my DVD's using handbrakes appleTV option are these playable on a PS3?
The PS3 is somewhat picky, it does not like all my encodes.

ant1ers
Sep 23, 2008, 10:52 PM
Add another one to the happy Drobo user camp. Just set up a 4 TB Drobo, copied over about 700 gigs of iTunes library, and can now commence ripping the rest of my movie collection.

To use the traditional line, it just works.

hualon
Sep 24, 2008, 06:59 PM
Data Robotics should support this forum if they don't already. This thread made me buy one!

I just bought a FW800 Drobo and four of the new 1.5TB Seagate drives from Newegg! YAY! 4.1TB available for data according to the drobolator. Awesome!

I'm going to transfer over 200GB of TV, 385GB of Movies, 225GB of music, and 60GB of photos when I get it. YAY! I'll have a couple of megs left over. LOL.

ant1ers
Sep 28, 2008, 10:47 PM
As the Drobo gets ever fuller, I'm starting to think about offsite data backup. I'm projecting a 3 TB library when all is said and done (and the 1.5 TB disks drop a bit in price). Are there any solutions that you guys highly recommend? My initial impulse is to steal a tape drive from the office and see if I can't find a way to get it working in OS X, but that would be a pain in the you know what, to say the least. A second Drobo would be simplest, but I don't want to pay for the redundancy that I wouldn't need offsite.

hualon
Sep 29, 2008, 07:31 AM
As the Drobo gets ever fuller, I'm starting to think about offsite data backup. I'm projecting a 3 TB library when all is said and done (and the 1.5 TB disks drop a bit in price). Are there any solutions that you guys highly recommend? My initial impulse is to steal a tape drive from the office and see if I can't find a way to get it working in OS X, but that would be a pain in the you know what, to say the least. A second Drobo would be simplest, but I don't want to pay for the redundancy that I wouldn't need offsite.

I use Mozy but I can't highly reccomend it. The mac client leaves a lot to be desired.

Backing up to hard drives that will sit on a shelf is illl advised. The drives will not last unless they're spun up every month or so.

fivepoint
Sep 29, 2008, 08:13 AM
For those of you with Drobos... are you backing up your data in any other way, or does your iTunes content simply/exclusively reside on the Drobo? If so, are you concerned at all about higher risk of failure due to electrical surges or the simple fact that all of the data (original and backup) are stored in the same physical device?

NightStorm
Sep 29, 2008, 08:38 AM
Don't have a Drobo (I use a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+), but I backup my iTunes purchased content in two other places: 1) an external USB hard drive attached to the ReadyNAS, and 2) mozy.com. The mozy.com backup took forever to finish initially and I had some issues with the beta client, but I've found it to work very well since they came out of beta and the initial upload finished.

The other backup for my non-iTunes purchased content is the physical CDs and DVDs the material came off of originally.

ant1ers
Sep 29, 2008, 03:28 PM
For those of you with Drobos... are you backing up your data in any other way, or does your iTunes content simply/exclusively reside on the Drobo? If so, are you concerned at all about higher risk of failure due to electrical surges or the simple fact that all of the data (original and backup) are stored in the same physical device?

Well, the drobo is behind a line conditioning UPS. Still don't feel comfortable though with all the data in one place, hence my previous question. :D

Regarding Mozy: Is it truly unlimited data backup for $5 a month? They have no problems with multi-terabyte backups (apart from the purely technical issue of backing up that much data over a relatively slow connection)?

NightStorm
Sep 29, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well, the drobo is behind a line conditioning UPS. Still don't feel comfortable though with all the data in one place, hence my previous question. :D

Regarding Mozy: Is it truly unlimited data backup for $5 a month? They have no problems with multi-terabyte backups (apart from the purely technical issue of backing up that much data over a relatively slow connection)?
Not sure about multi-terabyte backups, but I haven't heard any complaints with the 151GB of space I'm using so far.

Flyinace2000
Sep 30, 2008, 08:40 AM
Not sure about multi-terabyte backups, but I haven't heard any complaints with the 151GB of space I'm using so far.

I back up my 2TB RAID5 to mozy. Its about 650gb so far uploaded. Works really well. I had a hard drive die and i did a 250gb restore. Best $5 a month i ever spend.

marklight
Sep 30, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hey all,

I've filled up all the hard drive bays in my mac pro, and all of those hard drives (1 TB each) are all almost completely filled with media. I'm really looking into finding a solution where I can move these hard drives into a separate tower. I don't want to spend gobs of money however on some crazy NAS device. I would really only need to connect the device to my computer. Any suggestions? Drobo is pretty expensive, although nice, but really I do not care much about RAID 5. I would use RAID 1 however, but I don't mind all the drives showing up as single drives.

hualon
Sep 30, 2008, 10:28 AM
I back up my 2TB RAID5 to mozy. Its about 650gb so far uploaded. Works really well. I had a hard drive die and i did a 250gb restore. Best $5 a month i ever spend.

What kind of upload speeds are you getting?

pagansoul
Sep 30, 2008, 10:29 AM
I also have a Mac Pro with 1 drive 500GB (original disc at purchase) and 3 x 1TB (WD Green). I have iTunes/Music/purchases on drive 2 (about half full), Drive 3 is for my ripped Movies (about half full) and Drive 4 has my TV showes (also about half full). My backups are on 4 x 500 external drives. I've run out of backup space. I also have all my CDs and DVDs. Purchased music and Video has been placed on DVDs but I don't do much purchasing onlne, I prefer having a CD/DVD if I really like the movie/music.

ChrisA
Sep 30, 2008, 12:44 PM
...Couldn't I just go and buy a 1TB NAS device and use the laptop to serve from it to the ATV?...

If you buy a "NAS" device then why would you need the notebook? The whole point of NAS is that it has it's own network interface. What you mean maybe is just a USB external 1TB disk, connect that to the notebook then export the drive.

That would mean that you are using the notebook as a file server. They make great low volume servers. You could run any of sever OSes on the notebook. BSD, Linux or Solaris are all reasonable and run well on low end hardware.

NightStorm
Sep 30, 2008, 01:53 PM
What kind of upload speeds are you getting?

I believe they cap uploads at ~70kBps, at least with the Home package (that is about what I see). Downloads are supposed to be uncapped though if I remember correctly.

hualon
Sep 30, 2008, 04:15 PM
I believe they cap uploads at ~70kBps, at least with the Home package (that is about what I see). Downloads are supposed to be uncapped though if I remember correctly.

I get about 300kBps up and it's fairly annoying since I can't do anything ELSE online while that's happening. It's supposed to automatically curtail uploads if you're doing stuff online but it doesn't (for me).

fivepoint
Sep 30, 2008, 04:47 PM

Anyone else?

hualon
Sep 30, 2008, 04:59 PM
Anyone else?

Mine exists only on the Drobo. I'll begin the laborious Mozy backup procedure for the 900GB of media shortly.

fivepoint
Oct 1, 2008, 10:28 AM
The other concern I could see with only using a Drobo is the lack of accidental deletion protection. If you accidentally delete a bunch of files, there's no Time Machine to save you. It's just gone. And since you're not doing periodic (weekly?) backups to another drive, you don't have that week to discover such problems before you perform the next backup.

I'd love to hear people's ways around this, and how they improve the protection their Drobo offers.

ascender
Oct 1, 2008, 11:07 AM

At the moment I've not backed the Drobo up to anything else and its just sitting on a surge-protected socket.

The problem is the sheer amount of data on there to be backed up, although at the moment its just housing my iTunes library. All my actual data, pictures etc are stored on my iMac and backed up with Time Machine. So while the loss of more than one drive in the Drobo at one time would be a pain in the backside, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure what the options are, but as I rip more and more of my library to it, particularly movies, I'll want to back the whole thing up. Is there tape technology out there? Or would an external Blu Ray burner be the best way forward I wonder? The contents on my Drobo won't be changing much once I've ripped everything, so even doing a full backup and then just a monthly incremental one would suit me.

johndawg1973
Oct 1, 2008, 01:51 PM
I just ordered a drobo and two 1tb drives so that should give me loads of fault tolerant storage which is easily expandable. Was expensive but hopefully will be worth it.

Hey Mark... Which Drobo did you get and do you like it? I am thinking about getting one.

eleven59
Oct 1, 2008, 08:58 PM
I am glad you guys are talking asbout this!! I dont have an :apple:tv yet, waiting to see what apple decides to do.. and i dont have a mac yet either... again waiting... but I have started to back up all my dics to my hd...

is it as easy as to just drag n drop the folders/files to a new bigger hd such as time capsule???

easy to transfer windows files? or should i just stop wasting my time now? i know apple says they can transfer all your files if your switching over at the store...

anyways.. i like reading about all the different ways! thanks!

hualon
Oct 1, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hey Mark... Which Drobo did you get and do you like it? I am thinking about getting one.

Well my Drobo experience has been pretty lame. I bought a V2 and four 1.5TV Seagate drives last week. The stupid thing keeps rebooting every few minutes. Completely useless. Tech support hasn't called or e-mailed back. The support forum is helpful but nobody really knows what's going on.

johndawg1973
Oct 2, 2008, 07:46 AM
Well my Drobo experience has been pretty lame. I bought a V2 and four 1.5TV Seagate drives last week. The stupid thing keeps rebooting every few minutes. Completely useless. Tech support hasn't called or e-mailed back. The support forum is helpful but nobody really knows what's going on.

Will they try to replace it for you?

MrCatMan
Oct 2, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks to this thread I am now starting to make some progress.

I have 3 macs; one 80gig PowerBook, one 100 gig MacBook and an 80gig iMac G4.

I then bought an :apple:TV and was getting frustrated at having my iTunes on one machine, my documents on another, my photo's on another and no room for my 700 or so films.

Thanks to this thread I have invested in a Drobo + 2 1 tB drives and am really pleased with it so far.

I had some problems consolidating iTunes but everything is now copied and backed up.

I am now starting the long process of converting the DVD's using mac the ripper & handbrake. (is there anything out there that does it in 1 go?)

The only thing that I seem to have lost in the process is my iTunes playlist so I am having to re-create those manually.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions; reading through this thread helped me massively.

Thinking about offsite back up now - anyone use mozy or can recommend anything else?

Thanks

Mr CatMan

fivepoint
Oct 2, 2008, 10:30 AM
I had some problems consolidating iTunes but everything is now copied and backed up.

I am now starting the long process of converting the DVD's using mac the ripper & handbrake. (is there anything out there that does it in 1 go?)

The only thing that I seem to have lost in the process is my iTunes playlist so I am having to re-create those manually.

For you and anyone struggling with consolidating iTunes libraries to a new source, I suggest you check out the first post in this thread. I updated it with a link from iLounge and Apple which give you detailed instructions on how to transfer files without losing things like playlists and the like.

As far as your question... Handbrake should be able to do about 90% of movies in "1 go." There is hardly ever any reason to use MTR AND Handbrake unless you're ripping many DVDS in one night with MTR and encoding them while you sleep with Handbrake.

For mostt people, Handbrake is all you'll ever need.

ascender
Oct 2, 2008, 10:48 AM
With these NAS devices which are iTunes servers, do they allow you to synch iPods with the shared library?

starcat
Oct 2, 2008, 03:57 PM
A Mac Mini running Frontrow will play a VIDEO_TS folder directly without having to encode it to something else and put into iTunes. VIDEO_TS will take up more space though but will contain all features, etc. AppleTV doesn't play a VIDEO_TS nor DTS sound through the digital out (nor does this FrontRow but you can run VLC on the Mini). Just for info...

For you and anyone struggling with consolidating iTunes libraries to a new source, I suggest you check out the first post in this thread. I updated it with a link from iLounge and Apple which give you detailed instructions on how to transfer files without losing things like playlists and the like.

As far as your question... Handbrake should be able to do about 90% of movies in "1 go." There is hardly ever any reason to use MTR AND Handbrake unless you're ripping many DVDS in one night with MTR and encoding them while you sleep with Handbrake.

starcat
Oct 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
The only thing that I seem to have lost in the process is my iTunes playlist so I am having to re-create those manually.You can export a playlist in an xml file and make a backup of it which you can later just load again (even on multiple computers) after all media files are inported into iTunes.

starcat
Oct 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
Has anyone tried a Drobo connected to a Mini for all media files and a second Drobo connected to the same mini and defined as TimeMachine drive? The Mini exports the media files of the first Drobo over gigabit and makes them accessible to all clients. Time Machine makes on the fly backups (preventing also logical errors and deleted files) to the second Drobo.

hualon
Oct 2, 2008, 09:22 PM
Will they try to replace it for you?

They're going to replace it but not without a lot of waiting and frustration.

ecoons
Oct 3, 2008, 12:01 AM
Mozy seems almost too good to be true. $5 a month for unlimited backups, what is the catch. My biggest concern is this... I pay $5 a month, get all my 400GB of information up into Mozy, and then they want to up the price. Couldn't you theoretically get really screwed by this? What is everyone's take, or am I the only one worried about this?

VoR
Oct 3, 2008, 01:46 AM
What sort of transfer speeds are you getting to/from your drobo with 2x1tb drives?

MrCatMan
Oct 3, 2008, 07:08 AM

Like most blokes I tried to crack it with out reading the instructions and failed. After deleting all my files it took me 3 days to recover them. I then sat down read the first post as suggested and hey presto I was back in business.

MrCatMan
Oct 3, 2008, 07:11 AM
You can export a playlist in an xml file and make a backup of it which you can later just load again (even on multiple computers) after all media files are inported into iTunes.

Thanks... I'll give that a try.. As the files now reside in a different location will it understand the change in file location.

MrCatMan
Oct 3, 2008, 07:14 AM
What sort of transfer speeds are you getting to/from your drobo with 2x1tb drives?

To be honest I am not at all technical and have not noticed a change.. A bit noisier maybe but I have locked the Drobo and MacBook away in a back bedroom and use my Home Cinema and Apple TV to access to content now. It seems to good to be true. Have not yet synched my iPhone (and won't do so until I have recreated my Playlists) to the new system yet so fingers crossed.

fivepoint
Oct 3, 2008, 07:30 AM
Like most blokes I tried to crack it with out reading the instructions and failed. After deleting all my files it took me 3 days to recover them. I then sat down read the first post as suggested and hey presto I was back in business.

Glad I could help! That happened to me once too, like 5 years ago... I swore I would never do it again and would take every precaution to make sure. What a pain that was! ;)

jb60606
Oct 4, 2008, 04:31 PM
just picked up one of these to replace my dead USB DROBO -- for nearly half the price of the DROBO too. I'm using an internal SATA port converted to eSATA with this (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MPQXES2/), in my 2008 Mac Pro.

No word on 1.5TB drive support yet (just emailed their support), but it's going to take me at least a couple years before I need more than what this model offers. Who knows... maybe I'll buy a second one.

SANS Digital 5-Bay eSATA tower. JBOD & supports RAID0,1,10 & 5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111049)

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/16-111-049-03.jpg

Flyinace2000
Oct 4, 2008, 10:07 PM
Mozy seems almost too good to be true. $5 a month for unlimited backups, what is the catch. My biggest concern is this... I pay $5 a month, get all my 400GB of information up into Mozy, and then they want to up the price. Couldn't you theoretically get really screwed by this? What is everyone's take, or am I the only one worried about this?

I have been using them for about a year or so now. Saved my butt when i had a drive fail in my server. Took a few days to download all 300+ gigs, but it worked. Now that i have my RocketRaid up and running mozzy is backing that up too. 2TB with offsite...yummy

rotarypower101
Oct 5, 2008, 01:37 PM
just picked up one of these to replace my dead USB DROBO -- for nearly half the price of the DROBO too. I'm using an internal SATA port converted to eSATA with this (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MPQXES2/), in my 2008 Mac Pro.

No word on 1.5TB drive support yet (just emailed their support), but it's going to take me at least a couple years before I need more than what this model offers. Who knows... maybe I'll buy a second one.

SANS Digital 5-Bay eSATA tower. JBOD & supports RAID0,1,10 & 5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111049)

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/16-111-049-03.jpg

Can you tell us a little more about how this is working for you?

How is the speed of transfer, are you reaching near native sata speed (compared to your native drives) through the boxes controller? How are access speeds through the interface, any initial lag to speak of when accessing files?
How does it manage the drives from the front end? As one drive or many?

This sounds like a much better solution to me than a drobo, and would fall right in line with my macpro server desire.

Also can you please keep us updated as to the 1.5 TB drive support?

ManhattanPrjct
Oct 6, 2008, 09:53 AM
this may be a silly question, but if you set up your itunes playlist on an external hard drive that is always connected to your AEBS (and not directly connected to your computer), would your computer and itunes always have to be on to watch content on your Apple TV? or can the Apple TV stream from the external HD while itunes isn't running?

thanks.

rotarypower101
Oct 6, 2008, 12:36 PM
this may be a silly question, but if you set up your itunes playlist on an external hard drive that is always connected to your AEBS (and not directly connected to your computer), would your computer and itunes always have to be on to watch content on your Apple TV? or can the Apple TV stream from the external HD while itunes isn't running?

thanks.

No, and this is compounded by the fact that it takes double the bandwidth to accomplish the task.
One stream from the TC/NAS external to the iTunes computer, one stream back to TC/AEBS/router, and then either one stream to the TV via ethernet/wireless. Unfortunately this causes parallel streams of the same file, which seems to slow the system further.
And this is an elegant path, many of us have switches, and other accessory’s that can convolute the process further. Each step adds lag and unnecessary bandwidth to the EQ that hypothetically could be streamlined if it did not require iTunes to be in the mix (which just wont happen ), or more NAS devices could serve as a iTunes hub.(lets hope this gets sorted soon)
It has been a wish that  would release a iTunes server so users could turn there machines off while still maintaining the required connection to iTunes with their media for other devices.

My theory is to centralize all content on one computer with native drive support , and serve to all devices. I have tried to integrate multiple devices over the network, but it just doesn’t seem to work even over cat6. There is just too much going on and too many little issues to get a ~100% working all the time system IMO
I centralize as much as possible, but in the end any content that is not directly on the iTunes machine invariably has an issue whether it be lag, not returning to the last place video was stopped at, files dropping off the network, “this file type is not supported” errors, (which when you click back into the .mp4/.m4v they work fine), the TV dropping off iTunes, TV stalling out waiting for other machines to serve ect,ect,ect

The best luck I have had so far is to just run the TV just plain vanilla.

ascender
Oct 8, 2008, 04:34 AM
Just an update. My Drobo v2 experience is getting worse by the hour at the moment and the more research I'm doing on the unit is just making me think the v2 has numerous problems associated with it and shouldn't be considered at the moment.

Ol!ver
Oct 8, 2008, 06:18 AM
I have been using them for about a year or so now. Saved my butt when i had a drive fail in my server. Took a few days to download all 300+ gigs, but it worked. Now that i have my RocketRaid up and running mozzy is backing that up too. 2TB with offsite...yummy

How long does it take to upload things to this kind of service? It must be very slow.

hualon
Oct 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
How long does it take to upload things to this kind of service? It must be very slow.

I get about 250-300 kb/s. The upload she's not fast.

hualon
Oct 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
Just an update. My Drobo v2 experience is getting worse by the hour at the moment and the more research I'm doing on the unit is just making me think the v2 has numerous problems associated with it and shouldn't be considered at the moment.

Hey, I know you from the Drobo forums! LOL

Albion
Oct 9, 2008, 12:05 PM

Well, I use MTR before every rip, mainly because it allows a more efficient workflow. MTR can rip a DVD in probably 15-30 minutes depending upon size, whereas with HB I'm looking at usually 2 hours plus for the encoding. So, I usually rip 6 or seven DVD's in the evening with MTR and then queue them up overnight with HB. A pretty painless process, and as I have about 500 DVD's to rip and encode, the only way I would consider doing it.

Albion
Oct 9, 2008, 12:23 PM
At the moment I've not backed the Drobo up to anything else and its just sitting on a surge-protected socket.

The problem is the sheer amount of data on there to be backed up, although at the moment its just housing my iTunes library. All my actual data, pictures etc are stored on my iMac and backed up with Time Machine. So while the loss of more than one drive in the Drobo at one time would be a pain in the backside, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure what the options are, but as I rip more and more of my library to it, particularly movies, I'll want to back the whole thing up. Is there tape technology out there? Or would an external Blu Ray burner be the best way forward I wonder? The contents on my Drobo won't be changing much once I've ripped everything, so even doing a full backup and then just a monthly incremental one would suit me.

I also have a Drobo (v2) with 4x1TB Seagate drives providing about 2.7TB of actual useable space connected by FW800 to my Intel 2.4Ghz aluminium iMac with 4GB of Ram. I expect to run out of this space in the next three months and will upgrade to 1.5TB drives, or will wait for the rumoured 2TB's coming out in 2009. I use it mainly to store Aperture and iPhoto libraries as well as iTunes files. I use it as a scratch disk for streaming content to my Apple TV (which it does very well) and have about 500 DVD's which I will be ripping and encoding to it.

Like you I'm also considering a backup for the Drobo for a number of reasons; 1)it is not a mature technology yet and I'm scared to death that I will lose my data on the thing, 2) it won't protect from file deletion or fire, flood and theft and 3) if Data Robotics goes to the wall and the Drobo unit fails, I've lost my data as it is stored using proprietary technology. I did a total cost of ownership analysis of using Blu-Ray as a backup, but after I hit $3600 to backup 4TB of data over 80 50GB discs (including the burner) it became apparent that until another disc technology becomes price competitive, another hard disk solution would have to suffice as a backup for my Drobo.

I had some good conversations with Rick over at Macgurus (I have no association with him) and he provides Burly RAID enclosures which are pretty much bullet proof as far as quality goes, so what I intend to do is buy a 4bay enclosure and put 4 1.5 to 2TB discs in using Disk Utility in a RAID0 configuration, have SuperDuper backup the iMac and the Drobo to the Burly and then rotate the disk sets periodically for offsite storage. It also has the added benefit of not having a proprietary RAID controller as it will be using the software RAID provided by Disk Utility, so if the Burly did fail for some reason, I should be able to drop the disks in another enclosure and read the files with no difficulty.

It's the only solution that I can think of that is both simple and cost competitive while ensuring offsite redundancy for such large amounts of data in a non-proprietary way. Over time as the disk sets increase on the Drobo I'll increase the size of the disks on the Burly. As the Drobo will always have less capacity than the RAID0 Burly due to its RAID5 like redundancy requirement, the Burly will always have more than sufficient space as a backup if I keep parity with the disk sizes.

fivepoint
Oct 9, 2008, 01:12 PM
Well, I use MTR before every rip, mainly because it allows a more efficient workflow. MTR can rip a DVD in probably 15-30 minutes depending upon size, whereas with HB I'm looking at usually 2 hours plus for the encoding. So, I usually rip 6 or seven DVD's in the evening with MTR and then queue them up overnight with HB. A pretty painless process, and as I have about 500 DVD's to rip and encode, the only way I would consider doing it.

Hence the reason I said: "unless you're ripping many DVDS in one night with MTR and encoding them while you sleep with Handbrake." :(

ant1ers
Oct 10, 2008, 02:16 AM
My thoughts on Drobo and Mozy:

The Drobo, as matters currently stand, is a buggy piece of you-know-what. The potential is huge, but the execution is somewhat lacking. Mine has *issues* staying connected via USB, and is completely hopeless via Firewire 800. In addition, the Firewire speeds were not much faster than the USB speed, indicating a poor implementation thereof. Given several firmware revisions it will likely be the best solution available, but right now I'm contemplating the purchase of a enterprise level Raid solution to contain the library. I know that it will "simply work," unlike the Drobo.

Mozy, by contrast, is worth every cent it costs. I began uploading by iTunes library (~800 GB at this point in time) around a week ago ago. It's currently about 20% done uploading, and a test restore download worked perfectly. If you have a large library, I highly recommend this as an offsite backup. It will suck up your time, but little else. Consider this a strong recommendation for this service. If you currently don't have offsite backup for an iTunes library in the TB+ range, this is what you've been waiting for.

ascender
Oct 10, 2008, 04:23 AM
Hey, I know you from the Drobo forums! LOL

Hello!

Just waiting for my replacement unit to arrive from Drobo. They've no idea when its due....

NightStorm
Oct 10, 2008, 07:27 AM
Mozy, by contrast, is worth every cent it costs. I began uploading by iTunes library (~800 GB at this point in time) around a week ago ago. It's currently about 20% done uploading, and a test restore download worked perfectly. If you have a large library, I highly recommend this as an offsite backup. It will suck up your time, but little else. Consider this a strong recommendation for this service. If you currently don't have offsite backup for an iTunes library in the TB+ range, this is what you've been waiting for.

I wholeheartedly agree; just make sure you use the latest Mozy client as there were some issues with a previous one marking all of your files as deleted (they were still there as Mozy keeps them around for 30 days). I had to downgrade for a week or so while they fixed this issue.

hualon
Oct 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hello!

Just waiting for my replacement unit to arrive from Drobo. They've no idea when its due....

Well I just mailed my original unit back to them and I'm running on a replacement. If you get a Drobo that doesn't have the light-chart on the inside front cover then you got mine.

LOL

Capt Crunch
Oct 12, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone! I'm trying to decide between a V1 or a V2 drobo. I've been hearing songs of praise and songs of woe for both units and I'm not really sure what to do.

I've got an iMac and a ton of 1080p movies on it. I want a redundant external drive to house the movies on and be able to stream them reliably. Theoretically, USB should be enough. However, by some accounts the V2 has much better performance while other accounts say that it's not much better.

I'd like to save the $150, but I don't want to cheap out on this large of an investment if it'll bite me in the ass later.

ascender
Oct 13, 2008, 04:29 AM
As an interim measure, I've chucked a load of disks in to an old Power Mac G5 tower we had here and am doing a manual, weekly copy to it from the Drobo. I've go 4 * 1TB disks in there, so there's more than enough space for even a full Drobo, 2.7TB or so.

Long term I'm actually thinking of replacing the iMac for a Mac Pro and putting 4 * 1TB disks in to that. Then I can use the internal storage for everything and the Drobo to back that up externally.

Or I keep the iMac and buy another external NAS or disk array to back up the Drobo. Let's face it, I've got the disks already, so maybe that's the most cost effective way to go about things.

ascender
Oct 13, 2008, 04:31 AM
As regards the Drobo v2 itself, there do seem to be serious problems with it, particularly over FW800. I've just received a replacement unit from Drobo, so I'll see how that performs over the next while before making a judgement as its always difficult to know if you've just been unlucky, or if there's been a faulty batch, or if its just flawed.

Like others have said, the potential is there, but as things stand, it seems flaky at best.

starcat
Oct 14, 2008, 12:32 AM
I will anytime go with a Qnap 409 Pro (or 509 Pro) instead with a Drobo. Same pricepoint, zero management, LCD for seting it up, NFS, RAID, JBOD, online expasion, Twonky media installed, Linux power embedded, robust ext3 filesystem inside, etc, etc, etc. The Qnap is what Linn is offering as storage for their DS line (the high-end digital music servers), highly recommended.

bergmef
Oct 14, 2008, 07:14 AM
I will anytime go with a Qnap 409 Pro (or 509 Pro) instead with a Drobo. Same pricepoint, zero management, LCD for seting it up, NFS, RAID, JBOD, online expasion, Twonky media installed, Linux power embedded, robust ext3 filesystem inside, etc, etc, etc. The Qnap is what Linn is offering as storage for their DS line (the high-end digital music servers), highly recommended.

Let us know how it goes, I'm hoping to upgrade my dns-323 with the qnap409 also.

liketom
Oct 15, 2008, 05:11 AM
well i'm a happy chappy - just lost 1.8TB of Data over 3 hard drives 1TB 500Gb and a 320 Gb sat on my kitchen floor all just died all at the same time!

what are the odds

since they are all WD Mybooks - i suspect that i've had a power spike and it's fried em -

great 800+ movies and some TV shows down the drain

does anyone know if power spikes just kill the power supply on the external HDD's or the disk also ?

rhaleuk
Oct 15, 2008, 05:45 AM
well i'm a happy chappy - just lost 1.8TB of Data over 3 hard drives 1TB 500Gb and a 320 Gb sat on my kitchen floor all just died all at the same time!

what are the odds

since they are all WD Mybooks - i suspect that i've had a power spike and it's fried em -

great 800+ movies and some TV shows down the drain

does anyone know if power spikes just kill the power supply on the external HDD's or the disk also ?

Terrible terrible luck. Very sorry hear. From my experience I would *hope* that it is just the power supply that has gone. I would suspect the physical drive is ok. You can check by picking up a USB to IDE/SATA off ebay for about £15 and ripping out the drive from the MyBooks. I've done this with several external HDs bought to me and I've managed to save the data about 80% of the time.

This makes me very very happy to have bought a Drobo ten days ago. Phew!

liketom
Oct 15, 2008, 06:40 AM
Terrible terrible luck. Very sorry hear. From my experience I would *hope* that it is just the power supply that has gone. I would suspect the physical drive is ok. You can check by picking up a USB to IDE/SATA off ebay for about £15 and ripping out the drive from the MyBooks. I've done this with several external HDs bought to me and I've managed to save the data about 80% of the time.

This makes me very very happy to have bought a Drobo ten days ago. Phew!

just picked up a USB - SATA dock thing from maplins - for £30 i'm hoping it's just the Power Supply.

Drobo Question - does it warant the price tag? £399 from Amazon UK
for the price of a Cheap Windows computer i could add the storage myself

rhaleuk
Oct 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
just picked up a USB - SATA dock thing from maplins - for £30 i'm hoping it's just the Power Supply.

for the price of a Cheap Windows computer i could add the storage myself

I got a stupidly good deal on my Drobo. I used one of the coupons that eBay / PayPal do every couple of months and got 20% off! It meant I got a brand new sealed, v2 for £260 shipped. I've filled it with 4 1TB WD Caviar Green drives and I could not be happier. The Drobo just makes me feel safer about my data. Like a lot of people here I started getting literally paranoid about having so much data / music / video on one cheap external HD.

Good luck with restoring your data :-)

Capt Crunch
Oct 18, 2008, 05:54 PM
Just pulled the trigger on a USB drobo and 2 1TB (refurbished) WD drives. I'll take the drive out of my current 1 TB WD mybook as well.

Wish me luck!

pjfla
Oct 19, 2008, 07:59 PM
Need your suggestions...

My setup: New Mac Mini is the hub for my home theater (hidden in my media cabinet), connected to a wall mounted 58" plasma. Also have a 1TB MyBook connected. This is where I have about 100 movies and 3000 songs. iTunes syncs to the external drive.

Issue/concern: As my movie and song libraries grow, it is concerning that the ONE external drive could go and I am hosed.

Question: Needing a backup solution, should I:

1. Just add another external HD? Is it even possible for one external drive to back up another external drive? Will Time Machine assist? OR...

2. Should I bite the bullet and go with a Drobo?

For $ reasons, option 1 is better (obviously). If you guys agree, can someone assist with the "How To" on backing up external with external?

THANKS!!!

jb60606
Oct 19, 2008, 08:09 PM

holy s---, that's a rip-off. For that price, I would think that there are several other feasible alternatives.

kkarp
Oct 20, 2008, 06:07 AM
Mine solution is pretty simple. I'm running a 160GB :apple:TV, 500GB Time Capsule and 3 Gen MacBook (Black) all connected wireless.

On the MacBook my iTunes library is set to the Time Capsule (as a network drive; note: I am not using Time Machine at this time). I keep the :apple:TV pretty full to avoid streaming. When I do stream, there are no ill effects on the screen.

Future plans. Near term, I have a second 500GB Network drive (a Lacie) that I would like to set up as a Mirror to the Time Capsule (going to have to figure out how one of these days). Long term, probably a Drobo.

Things I learned along the way...

Tiger + File vault turned on = 80GB user directory... One of those cases where I ran out of room but still had space left on the hard drive. My best guess is that File vault was limiting my usable space... unconfirmed though.

18 DVD's is not a viable back up option.

The digital media (iTunes stuff) was the most valuable stuff I had on my computer!

- Kevin

ipedro
Oct 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hey guys, I just picked up a Time Capsule and since it has exactly the same foot print as tv, I'm thinking of stacking one on top of the other.

Has anybody done this and is either system affected by the other in terms of heat or radio interference?

Both machines have a rubber pad so I'm not worried about scratching and it seems that the rubber guards against heat transfer.

Any advice?

fivepoint
Oct 21, 2008, 08:46 AM
Hey guys, I just picked up a Time Capsule and since it has exactly the same foot print as tv, I'm thinking of stacking one on top of the other.

Has anybody done this and is either system affected by the other in terms of heat or radio interference?

Both machines have a rubber pad so I'm not worried about scratching and it seems that the rubber guards against heat transfer.

Any advice?

I know my AppleTV gets VERY hot. If you had to stack them, I'd suggest putting the AppleTV on top so the heat doesn't as easily transfer to the Time Capsule.

However, if the Time Capsule gets as hot as the AppleTV, that would be a moot point.

ipedro
Oct 21, 2008, 09:25 AM
FivePoint, I was inspired by your diagram and went ahead and put mine together:

http://marqx.com/storage/MediaSetup/iPedro_MediaSetup.png
Click for Detailed PDF
(http://marqx.com/storage/MediaSetup/iPedro_MediaSetup.pdf)

Storage and backup are a big thing for me. Not only do I have my iTunes library to worry about, but I'm a photographer so my life's work is stored on HDDs! I've put together a very redundant system of Local HDDs, Online storage, a local Time Capsule, and an Aperture Vault and Pocket HDD in a bank safety deposit box.

Have a look at the PDF (http://marqx.com/storage/MediaSetup/iPedro_MediaSetup.pdf) for a close up.

Btw, with regards to stacking, I thought it over and decided to put the Time Capsule on my work bench instead of stacking it with the tv. :)

fivepoint
Oct 21, 2008, 11:47 AM
iPedro,
VERY nice setup. I love the chart too... wow! I think you made the right choice with the stacking. HDs hate the heat. ;)

-five

ipedro
Oct 21, 2008, 11:55 AM
^ I gotta give you credit where it's due. It was the look and feel of your chart that inspired mine.

I thought I'd add some more detail by separating things by rooms and by local and offsite (indicated by being in or out of the house diagram).

Having an offsite Time Machine HDD and Aperture Vault really give me peace of mind. Every few weeks, I'll go to the bank with my laptop, update the Time Machine and Aperture Vault and put it back in the safe.

In the meantime, having a 1TB Time Capsule at home backing up in the background without any worries is the first line of defense.

I also upload all my 4 and 5 star rated photos to SmugMug online, another off site redundancy.

Finally, I have another online FTP, where I upload all my home businesses' archived dockets.

I gotta say, peace of mind is worth big bucks I tell ya!

Volante
Oct 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
This might have been up before. Drobo now supports "Apps", among them Firefly iTunes Media Server http://www.drobo.com/droboapps/downloads/index.php?id=11. Can it serve up contain without a itunes computer now?

liketom
Oct 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
holy s---, that's a rip-off. For that price, I would think that there are several other feasible alternatives.

Got a much better deal with Apple :rolleyes: Drobo v2 + 2 x 1TB HDD

guess the price

£719

i kid you not ! (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS390ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTY5NTk5Ng&p=1&s=topSellers) such a joke i had a pop at them via there online chat ;) Play.com have it in for £329 so i'll go with them

Superman07
Oct 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
I'm sure this will come up in another thread as well...

What does this new Firefly app allow Drobo to accomplish that it can't otherwise? I thought others were already putting their libraries on Drobo (maybe music more than movies).

http://www.drobo.com/droboapps/downloads/index.php?id=11

Ol!ver
Oct 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
Got a much better deal with Apple :rolleyes: Drobo v2 + 2 x 1TB HDD

guess the price

£719

i kid you not ! (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS390ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTY5NTk5Ng&p=1&s=topSellers) such a joke i had a pop at them via there online chat ;) Play.com have it in for £329 so i'll go with them

Oh my !

NightStorm
Oct 21, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm sure this will come up in another thread as well...

What does this new Firefly app allow Drobo to accomplish that it can't otherwise? I thought others were already putting their libraries on Drobo (maybe music more than movies).

http://www.drobo.com/droboapps/downloads/index.php?id=11
Firefly turns the Drobo (or other devices, my ReadyNAS NV+ has had this for some time now) into an iTunes Server. This means you do not have to keep a main computer always on to have your library be accessible to other clients on the network.

Since this is the AppleTV forum, it should be noted that Firefly can not be used to connect directly to an AppleTV as it doesn't know how to handle the PIN setup to establish the connection. I really hope some crafty programmers can figure this out... I'd love to be able to take my iMac out of the equation when streaming to my AppleTV.

bokonon
Oct 21, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have an out of control DVD collection that I ripped to my server (took many months). Right now my iTunes library stands at ~ 1500 movies (from DVD) and ~ 2500 TV shows ripped from TV-on-DVD or downloads.

Initially I had my music in the library as well, but the load times were too long over my 2 appleTVs, so have the music on my 24" iMac (which sync's to my iphone/ipods).

The video fills up a 6.1TB ATA drives (you don't need anything terribly fast) - I bought some cheapy Venus T4U cases off of newegg that work great and do not get hot or run loud. I have them copied straight to multiple drives (no RAID). This allows them to run longer since the drives that aren't being used are spun down and rarely accessed. I have 4x750g in 2 of these cases. I have another separate 750g drive as well. Still have another 400g to go to fill it up. All of these drives are plugged into a 1.6GHz Intel Mac Mini which is fast enough for my uses. You don't need anything fast here to serve up your stuff. Its running headless in a closet without issue. I have it set to boot up automatically around when I get home from work and turn off automatically in the wee hours of the morning when no one would likely be watching. This setup has run flawlessly for me since the AppleTV first shipped (over a year). I have everything hardwired and have no issues streaming to 2 appleTVs simultaneously.

The biggest issue I have is finding new content. TV shows are listed nicely with the blue dots when new content is uploaded but movies are not. I have everything streaming (my 40g appleTVs are empty except maybe some podcasts or photos).

I know that its a little risky having no RAID, but I think its made up for the fact that I only really spin up the drives to watch a movie on any particular drive VERY rarely since the content is spread across so many drives. Also its not a HUGE deal to rerip 150 movies if I need to. I have catalogued which movies are on which drive so replacement won't be that big a headache just time.

Been using this system FREQUENTLY for over a year and haven't had any hardware issues (knock on wood) and aside from the mac mini not turning on/off automatically once in awhile for whatever reason, I have not had to think about this setup at all. I even removed my DVDs from the shelves and packed them away in closet to free up shelf space and have not missed them at all. YMMV, but thats my happy experience.

Superman07
Oct 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
Firefly turns the Drobo (or other devices, my ReadyNAS NV+ has had this for some time now) into an iTunes Server. This means you do not have to keep a main computer always on to have your library be accessible to other clients on the network.

Since this is the AppleTV forum, it should be noted that Firefly can not be used to connect directly to an AppleTV as it doesn't know how to handle the PIN setup to establish the connection. I really hope some crafty programmers can figure this out... I'd love to be able to take my iMac out of the equation when streaming to my AppleTV.

Nice...I read your first statement and then immediately had a question, only to have it answered by your second statement! With regard to your second statement... :(

Borjan
Oct 21, 2008, 06:02 PM
I have an out of control DVD collection that I ripped to my server (took many months). Right now my iTunes library stands at ~ 1500 movies (from DVD) and ~ 2500 TV shows ripped from TV-on-DVD or downloads.

Been using this system FREQUENTLY for over a year and haven't had any hardware issues (knock on wood) and aside from the mac mini not turning on/off automatically once in awhile for whatever reason, I have not had to think about this setup at all. I even removed my DVDs from the shelves and packed them away in closet to free up shelf space and have not missed them at all. YMMV, but thats my happy experience.

Cool! Spanning across multiple drives is an interesting take on storage that I hadn't thought about before. It won't be for everyone but I can see it working in this case!

I am about to purchase a Core Duo 1.66, very much like yours, and am happy to hear that it doesn't have a single problem streaming... how is it with HD playback though?

KeegoSupremo
Oct 22, 2008, 08:26 AM
Hey, just found this thread yesterday and read the first 10 pages and a couple of the last pages. I will be re doing my set up here in the next couple of weeks (moving out of parents house) and I have a couple questions. Currently what I have is an iMac, 500gb external hd, and a 320 (i think)external hard drive. I am in the process of ripping my dvds and right now they are kinda all spread out between the iMac and externals. I also have AEBS and will have an :apple:tv. So my questions are, I saw alot of the drobo in the pages I read how do you like the drobo and do people still recommend the drobo? I am confussed about the raids and the beyondraid, what is the used for protection part for the drobo isn't it basically a backup of the files on the drive so if one drive failed you just pop in another drive and its like as if nothing happened? I read about people worrying about backing up there drobo's because I do not mind buying one drobo but do not want to buy two to back up the one :D (hopefully I'm not to confusing)
so if you had AEBS, :apple:tv, and a drobo what is the best way to have it all hooked up?

thanks for all the help sorry for the long post :confused:

bokonon
Oct 22, 2008, 08:34 AM
Cool! Spanning across multiple drives is an interesting take on storage that I hadn't thought about before. It won't be for everyone but I can see it working in this case!

I am about to purchase a Core Duo 1.66, very much like yours, and am happy to hear that it doesn't have a single problem streaming... how is it with HD playback though?

I have a few Blueray rips and they work just fine. Not sure how wireless would work, but at least for hardwired connection I have no problems with it.

ascender
Oct 23, 2008, 08:19 AM
If the Drobo runs as a proper iTunes server via that app, can you synch iPods, iPhones etc over the network?

Superman07
Oct 28, 2008, 08:28 AM
With the iTunes app for Drobo...do you have to have the network adapter, or can you host it from the Drobo and simply plug that into something like an APBS (or similar AP w/ USB) to share that way via the network?

NightStorm
Oct 28, 2008, 08:33 AM
With the iTunes app for Drobo...do you have to have the network adapter, or can you host it from the Drobo and simply plug that into something like an APBS (or similar AP w/ USB) to share that way via the network?
I think it requires the DroboShare or whatever they call that ethernet add-on, but don't quote me on that.

Capt Crunch
Oct 28, 2008, 09:50 AM
Well I've been using my USB drobo for a little more than a week and after some initial problems it appears to be working fine. The unit had trouble updating, but after trying several times it took. It works exactly as I had hoped.

serpico
Oct 28, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. That PDF is a great way to start.

phelix_da_kat
Oct 29, 2008, 08:54 AM
Snow Leopard on a Mac mini, ZFS, and a lot of external hard drives. Oh yes.
Having seen the problems with Drobo, I kept well away - If you're going RAID, you may as well have a properly used form of it. I don't want all my drives going down.

Am looking at DROBO as primary daily backup too - but Amazon has mixed reviews.

It seems like generally, this thread is positive on the DROBO, but the Amazon reviews shows signs of catastrophic failure when ALL 4 drives fail.
Could consider a 2nd level backup (a superduper clone/smartbackup) to a single drive?

Any comments or insights on the DROBO reliability please?

Albion
Oct 29, 2008, 01:43 PM
Am looking at DROBO as primary daily backup too - but Amazon has mixed reviews.

It seems like generally, this thread is positive on the DROBO, but the Amazon reviews shows signs of catastrophic failure when ALL 4 drives fail.
Could consider a 2nd level backup (a superduper clone/smartbackup) to a single drive?

Any comments or insights on the DROBO reliability please?

Well, I actually think I was one of the reviewers on Amazon. My initial problems with the FW800 V.2 have not repeated themselves (lost access due to a defunct FW800 port during firmware upgrade) since the replacement unit arrived about 5 weeks ago. I have 4 1TB drives loaded providing about 2.7TB of useable space and am slowly using MTR and HB to convert my 500+ disc DVD library over to the Drobo for streaming to my two ATV's, currently have about 900GB of data loaded. Streaming via my AEBS has been faultless with the Drobo attached directly to my iMac. I do leave the iMac on 24/7.

With respect to reliability, as indicated above, no problems since my initial issue, but I have taken the precaution of backing up my photo and home movie (not DVD) library to Amazon S3, about 65GB, as worst case I do have the DVD's to copy from again. Down the track I will look at getting a Burly 4 bay array and running a software RAID0 backup of the Drobo, but I will wait until the 2TB discs come out next year before doing this. The Drobo forum appears to have plenty of people with issues so it certainly is a technology that is not exactly mature. But for ease of use and quiet operation I think you would be hard pressed to find a better solution for non-technical people. Providing that you consider it as a redundant scratch disc, rather than a true backup. For this I would recommend going with a second backup of some description, and if another array, consider swapping out the discs from time to time for offsite backup.

Cuthbert
Oct 30, 2008, 09:36 PM
This may be a dumb question. I've googled and can't find much of use.

I currently have all of my data (about 700 gigs) stored on a 1 TB iomega external HD. I really need to back all of this up! I only have it partially backed up onto a separate 500 gig external HD. I'm therefore interested in the drobo; it sounds slick. Would it be possible to disassemble the iomega and place that drive into the drobo with other drives?

Cynicalone
Oct 30, 2008, 09:54 PM
This may be a dumb question. I've googled and can't find much of use.

I currently have all of my data (about 700 gigs) stored on a 1 TB iomega external HD. I really need to back all of this up! I only have it partially backed up onto a separate 500 gig external HD. I'm therefore interested in the drobo; it sounds slick. Would it be possible to disassemble the iomega and place that drive into the drobo with other drives?

No, don't do that. Any drive in stick in Drobo get's formatted.

aaronthomas
Oct 30, 2008, 11:53 PM
So Ive out grown my WD 1tb and so I just got the WD 4TB nas external drive... Im trying to figure out if I should use raid 5 or raid 1... LOL... total nebee.... ive read all the info and im still kinda lost. Going to use it for Itunes music and straight ts folders for movies. O yeah... is it a pain to swap info from one external to another.

Slovak
Oct 31, 2008, 12:31 AM
So Ive out grown my WD 1tb and so I just got the WD 4TB nas external drive... Im trying to figure out if I should use raid 5 or raid 1... LOL... total nebee.... ive read all the info and im still kinda lost. Going to use it for Itunes music and straight ts folders for movies. O yeah... is it a pain to swap info from one external to another.

Assuming those are 4x1TB drives, RAID 5 would be probably the way to go. You will loose 1 of those drives to raid overhead, but still have 3TB to run with. RAID 1 would just mirror two disks to look alike.

Here's a basic explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

aaronthomas
Oct 31, 2008, 12:43 AM
Assuming those are 4x1TB drives, RAID 5 would be probably the way to go. You will loose 1 of those drives to raid overhead, but still have 3TB to run with. RAID 1 would just mirror two disks to look alike.

Here's a basic explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Thanks so much!

Wardotron
Oct 31, 2008, 06:43 AM
Anyone using a NAS with UPNP and/or iTunes server functions?

I currently have an old eMac serving an iTunes library of films to an Xbox 360, but would like to cut out the middleman (the eMac). I am thus thinking of porting my huge iTunes library to a monster NAS for sharing.

Another question: if I use a Windows formatted NAS, could the Xbox recognise the drive as a 'source'? Would I encounter problems editing the iTunes library on a Windows drive using iTunes in OSX?

Slovak
Nov 3, 2008, 10:32 AM
I am thus thinking of porting my huge iTunes library to a monster NAS for sharing.

I've set up RAID 1 on an old PC box with FreeNAS. I am not using it the way you'd like to, but it appears to have those options built in. Might be a viable solution for you, even if you had to put together a cheap box.

Cuthbert
Nov 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
I've pretty much decided on the Drobo for backing up all of my data. Can anyone suggest a good 1 TB internal hard drive? Seagate? WD?

1TB mind you; I will be buying 2 of them and would like to keep 2 slots open in the Drobo for future added storage. Thanks guys, you're all awesome!

ant1ers
Nov 3, 2008, 11:46 PM
Personally, I like Seagate or WD. Both make quality products.

However, for the Drobo, I highly recommend that you buy the hd's from different manufacturers if you purchase them at the same time. It keeps you from getting two drives from a bad batch.

hualon
Nov 4, 2008, 07:26 AM
Data Robotics suggests simply "the cheapest drives you can buy" because of the built-in redundancy of the Drobo. I use the Western Digital Green-edition 1TB drives since they consume about half the power of the Seagate 1TB. The WD drives aren't as fast but it doesn't matter on the Drobo anyway.

Karpfish
Nov 4, 2008, 07:30 AM
+1 to WD Green Power drives. You don't need the speed so much, so they are a great option for a 1TB drive.

ascender
Nov 5, 2008, 04:07 PM
Well, I've just bought a second Drobo unit.

I had a few problems with my first one, but got a replacement shipped out which fixed all the problems. I was then left with an ever-growing iTunes library which wasn't backed up. I took a manual copy of the whole thing on to an old Mac, but that really wasn't a viable solution going forward.

Now, the one thing that I was very impressed with on my first Drobo, was that despite the problems I had, the data remained intact. But the problem is obviously that if something catastrophic happened, you could lose the lot.

So, having looked at the various options I've decided to buy a second Drobo. Its the most effective way (and cost effective way) I can see of backing up my entire library via Time Machine at the moment.

phrehdd
Nov 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
Well, I've just bought a second Drobo unit.

I had a few problems with my first one, but got a replacement shipped out which fixed all the problems. I was then left with an ever-growing iTunes library which wasn't backed up. I took a manual copy of the whole thing on to an old Mac, but that really wasn't a viable solution going forward.

Now, the one thing that I was very impressed with on my first Drobo, was that despite the problems I had, the data remained intact. But the problem is obviously that if something catastrophic happened, you could lose the lot.

So, having looked at the various options I've decided to buy a second Drobo. Its the most effective way (and cost effective way) I can see of backing up my entire library via Time Machine at the moment.

Sounds like you have a plan here.

For those more cautious about backing up - consider this
get an external drive case that has mirrored drives. OWC offers some good cases that you can populate with your own drives. Decide on how you want to attach these drives -meaning usb2, fw400 or fw800 (esata for some too).

Also, for music, if you can make backups on DVD or CD medium as "files" not music. That is a wise thing to do. Use good quality CD/DVD medium that has a reputation for long life or the more expensive "archival" medium.

The question is not whether a drive will fail but WHEN will it fail. The solutions for handling a failed drive is another matter. In a 4 drive raid, set to raid 5, if a drive fails your data is still protected. If 2 drives fail all is lost. Having a spare drive as quick as possible is important. Rebuild times are often SLOW. Some if not most SOHO NAS virtually are unusable during rebuilds and that can be (depending on the size of your drives and data) 20-40 hours.

I do use a NAS and central storage of media. I am careful to create appropriate directory/folder structure for easy access. It serves up media to my Macs, Mac to ipod/iphone and PS3/TV.

If you can afford a blu ray rw unit, might consider backing up in "data" format your libraries and in the meanwhile use dvd5 or 9.

Just a working opinion here - don't mix size and models of drives in a NAS. NAS will work BEST when using same type of drives (when using raid). If you are only using the NAS for play back of your itunes etc., the green drive should be fine and consume less power. If you are doing hard core usage of reads and writes, opt for the higher line drives that are designed for extreme usage and raiding.

As for NAS's - QNap, Thecus, Netgear NV, Synology - lots of them out there.
I wouldn't use Jobo as a NAS but as directly attached storage. Do read up on the NAS performance, whether they include a media player (like Twonky), etc. Of equal importance, is the interface. Thecus for a long time was known to be the best of speed with the worst interface I don't know if the interface is any better but QNAP seems to do ok in speed and its interface is decent enough. The 5 drive QNAP while expensive seems to be the SOHO leader in speed now.

I use QNAP 409pro. It is a mixed bag. Had some hiccups with it but in general it works okay. The biggest drawback - when adding media files, it doesn't do well in showing up on the PS3. PS3 uses UPNP to connect. The QNAP Media system built in (Twonky) ends up having to be rebuilt each time to function properly. As for itunes stuff, it works flawlessly when the Mac and NAS are talking to each other.

Again - easy and safe - external mirrored drives directly attached...

just my two cents

- Phrehdd

ascender
Nov 6, 2008, 03:26 AM
That's the thing about media libraries, they're probably not changing much, regularly. Once you've ripped your music/video, the bulk of that data will remain consistent, so if you can back that up to DVDs for example, the incremental backups you then need when you buy/rip new media are going to be much smaller.

The main problem I had is that my iTunes library is sitting at 1.5TB just now and growing as I'm ripping a lot of video at the moment. Hence my looking for the easiest option!

aaronthomas
Nov 6, 2008, 08:00 AM
I recently got the WD shared space... and well... had all kinds of issues with it. I was able to send it back and for less money I bought 2 2tb my book studio addition II's. I already had a 1tb my book which im now using for music and art (im an illustrator). And using the new 2tbs for movies and tv. Have to say im very happy... if not in use they take 3 or 4 sec. to warm up but that doesnt bother me a bit. All three unites take up less space that the shared space unite. Best part is you can add more if needed.

ironjaw
Nov 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
Has anyone tried Lace networked drives? They have 2 years of warranty, not much but are they stable and reliable drives?

cuestakid
Nov 10, 2008, 09:20 PM
so after many months and various scenarios I have decided on the Mybook Studio II 2TB-ordered it today and I should get it hopefully by the end of the week.

I also came across two other pieces of interesting but note worthy information

1. Drobo has decactiviated (for now) the use of the 1.5 TB drives-apprently like OWC they are seeing issues with those drives so for anyone hoping to create a RAID array with them I would wait both companies iron out their issues.

2. The Mybook Studio while being user servicable can only use the same exact drive that it ships with-so again if you wanted to place a 1.5 TB WD drive when they come out (which they will eventually) you are out of luck

just thought I would share some of my thoughts

tcoop25
Nov 13, 2008, 11:14 AM

Looks like this wasn't Drobo's fault. Seagate's 1.5TB drives have issues...

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/11/2125227

On a side note, just got my Drobo last night, transferred all of my 500GB of content to it over night, and now I have 400GB more of free space (3x500GB). Everything worked well. Had a bit of trouble updating the firmware (did a hard reboot of the Drobo, and it worked). I am thinking that I will use Mozy as a triple backup soon.

-TC

TMo70
Nov 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
I've just ordered a Drobo with 3x1TB Samsung spinpoint drives. Samsung's new drive uses only 3 platters to achieve 1TB (vs 4-5 for the others), and tops the perfomance tests while having low noise and power usage. So far the tests look pretty good. Speed may not be a big deal for the Drobo, I don't know, but why not, since the Samsungs are pretty inexpensive and the latest in HDD tech. I'll post again after I get the setup installed.

I made my Drobo decision based largely on this thread, so thx all for sharing your experiences. It seems that the Drobo is a superior RAID5-like setup, which allows for 1 drive failure in the array, with a vastly simpler and easier to maintain setup and management. The downside is total failure, which is is also possible in a RAID setup. With Drobo's unique technology however, you can only put your drives in another Drobo (assuming the chassis failed, not multiple drives). While that's not so bad in terms of a recovery option, I'd still like to explore other methods of backing up the Drobo so I can reallocate data to some other setup if the company goes belly-up. Its funny how just a few weeks ago, time machine was my only backup, then I started in with the movies and realized I'd hate to do that all again. B4 TM, I didn't backup at all and now I'm not satisfied without 2+ levels of backup. My how times change.

My setup is a 2.33G iMac, with 2 1TB external OWC F/W drives, one for Time Machine, and the other equally partitioned for a bootable clone and an iMovie media drive. The Drobo will be for ripped movies, which have an insatiable hunger for gigs. I don't use an aTV, as I don't think they currently support 1080p res (plz inform me if I'm wrong). I stream or copy (1080p doesn't stream too well) over a Powerline AV ethernet extender to my PS3 (way faster than what I can achieve with wireless-N), with its newly upgraded 500G HD (Samsung also just released this 2.5" drive, the first of its kind, but I think Fujitsu just released one too...). Anyway, great thread, thx to all who've contributed.

skyfire
Nov 13, 2008, 09:53 PM
I've pretty much decided on the Drobo for backing up all of my data. Can anyone suggest a good 1 TB internal hard drive? Seagate? WD?

1TB mind you; I will be buying 2 of them and would like to keep 2 slots open in the Drobo for future added storage. Thanks guys, you're all awesome!

Drobo has been good to me so far. I'm doing the same thing as you leaving 2 bays open for future expansion. Got 2 WD WD10EACS from Newegg. Great price right now at $115 each. Same drives that Drobo sells in their Drobo Store. So figured couldn't really go wrong. Going strong for me. I also backup important stuff like my photos to an additional 1TB Lacie external and keep at work (offsite).

jwilcox09
Nov 16, 2008, 09:20 PM
So I am pretty set on getting a Drobo, but was wondering if i don't have Firewire 800, is the 2nd generation Drobo any different that the 1st. The 1st gen is about 150$ cheaper and was wondering if I would regret it after....Thanks..

Capt Crunch
Nov 17, 2008, 08:24 AM
So I am pretty set on getting a Drobo, but was wondering if i don't have Firewire 800, is the 2nd generation Drobo any different that the 1st. The 1st gen is about 150$ cheaper and was wondering if I would regret it after....Thanks..

Supposedly the 2nd generation improves performance with an improved internal controller in the hopes of being able to use it as a "primary" HD. For example photographers who want storage for all their photos but want to edit them while they are on the drobo.

If you are planning on using the drobo for the storage and streaming of movies, I would get the $350 drobo, which is what I did. I am completely happy with my purchase and see no downsides for my application.

hualon
Nov 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
Now that I have replaced the stupid 1.5TB Seagate drives with 1TB Western Digital Green drives my Drobo V2 is excellent. I'm disappointed to only have 2.7TB instead of what I had with the extra 2TB afforded by the 1.5TB drives. Oh well.

Anyway, I talked trash about Drobo earlier but it turns out that the problem was Seagate. I wanted to set the record straight in this forum.

jwilcox09
Nov 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Supposedly the 2nd generation improves performance with an improved internal controller in the hopes of being able to use it as a "primary" HD. For example photographers who want storage for all their photos but want to edit them while they are on the drobo.

If you are planning on using the drobo for the storage and streaming of movies, I would get the $350 drobo, which is what I did. I am completely happy with my purchase and see no downsides for my application.

Great! Thanks for that. I am all for saving some money....

eleven59
Nov 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
im pretty much sold on a drobo as a b/u. i would just have itunes content, movies, shows, and music...

with the droboshare connected to a time capsule, is there any speed increase/decrease if it was to be set up as the main itunes HD? im using the :apple:tv wirelessly.

when i had files on the TC, it was slower in starting up a movie (took up to a min or more to load up the movie; streaming not syncing) than it was with an external connected to the comp itunes was on..

ultimately doesnt matter as what i have is fine, its just an added layer of b/u in an ever increasing all digital world..

bergmef
Nov 18, 2008, 05:26 AM
Phrehdd

I think a qnap409 is in my future, how do you like it? Work as good as you hoped? Much in the way of firmware updates? Good throughput? I'm currently using a dns323 with 2 500G disks raid 1. I need way more space and I'm looking for something quiet and has a sleep mode.

Oh yeah, something that comes back on when the power returns would be nice, the dns323 does not. That alone sucks when you have a symbolic link to your itunes library on the NAS!

Frank

phrehdd
Nov 18, 2008, 07:24 AM
Phrehdd

I think a qnap409 is in my future, how do you like it? Work as good as you hoped? Much in the way of firmware updates? Good throughput? I'm currently using a dns323 with 2 500G disks raid 1. I need way more space and I'm looking for something quiet and has a sleep mode.

Oh yeah, something that comes back on when the power returns would be nice, the dns323 does not. That alone sucks when you have a symbolic link to your itunes library on the NAS!

Frank

The QNAP409pro is a mixed bag with some areas being mildly "buggy" in my estimates. Do I get good use out of it... absolutely.
1) For reads it does fine
2) For writes, like many NAS out there, slow
3) Reconnection to the NAS, fair..a little slow but discs do take time to synch up properly which is acceptable.
4) Media Share via Twonky - it does work for PS3 and in my case, it can find it whether wireless or direct cable or router bridge (wireless).
5) Add a file to your media library, don't expect QNAP's Twonky to work as it should and add the file properly to its db. Rather, it at times is faster to rebuild the db than to "rescan on manual command."
6) The QNAP509pro, gets top marks for speed. I would consider this even knowing it might have the shortfalls of the 409pro.
7) Permissions, one level deep only. For me this is not a problem but for others it could be.
8) I dont use the Web Server portion so I cannot comment on it.
9) Fan always is going..it doesn't sleep and I wouldn't sleep with it in the same room but overall it is not a noisy system..simply the sound of a fan for the most part humming.

The problem with many of these NAS, is the price vs guts. Many solder in the memory so you cannot upgrade it yourself. Take a look at the difference in the 409 and the 509 series on RAM. Huge difference and yes, it does impact performance in certain activities.

If I had more patience, I might have made a FreeNAS type system with an ITX board or mATX either with software raid or possibly a card akin to say a broadcom.

I would give the QNAP409 a B on doing its main function but a C- on exploitability of added features. - They work but are quirky.

Itunes - If you only store 1 version of your file (I often have two - lossless and lossee aac 256/320 bit rates). I let the local Mac do the work and organize it properly. I then move it up to the NAS and "add" without moving.
This way, I have all my files organized itune style and on the NAS. Yes, its an extra step but pointing directly to your NAS causes issues when the NAS is not ready. (The library db is local and the files on NAS). This method lets me hook in my other Mac to the same library and make any playlists I like.

What I might suggest is you go to QNAP's forum site and see other folks commentaries. Some might be doing far better than myself in their experience and certainly, many far worse <grin>.

I guess I expect far more for the price. BTW I did have the NV+ that Netgear now sells from back when. It did better in certain respects but yet, the drive drawers were cheap and jammed (as did a friend of mine who admitted it later after recommending it to me).

- Phrehdd

bergmef
Nov 18, 2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks

I've been using this website (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/blogcategory/50/75/) for NAS info and they seemed to like the qnap too. I don't think I'll use their media player, never used twonky before, mainly because my music and photos are all on the appletv and if I want a movie, I can turn on the macbook for the ones I don't have sync'ed. I'm thinking about a mac mini if new ones come out to be my media server. That way I wouldn't need to turn on the macbook as much and if Apple is nice enough, I can get the video out to a 42 inch plasma. It would be so nice if they screen sharing on apple tv so I can bring the computer display over.

phrehdd
Nov 19, 2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks

I've been using this website (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/blogcategory/50/75/) for NAS info and they seemed to like the qnap too. I don't think I'll use their media player, never used twonky before, mainly because my music and photos are all on the appletv and if I want a movie, I can turn on the macbook for the ones I don't have sync'ed. I'm thinking about a mac mini if new ones come out to be my media server. That way I wouldn't need to turn on the macbook as much and if Apple is nice enough, I can get the video out to a 42 inch plasma. It would be so nice if they screen sharing on apple tv so I can bring the computer display over.

Sounds like you have a plan there. - Glad to hear it.

From my own experimenting and gaffs I have found that I like to do my itunes work on one computer, create the itunes "structure" album/artist/song etc and then movie it up the the NAS manually per item.
After that, each computer can do "add library" (without the move files) and have their own subset or complete access to the itunes portion of your NAS.
The other advantage is that sometimes you enter your itunes before the NAS is synched to your computer, itunes in turn will default a library locally to your computer and fails to see the NAS. With "add library" the db is local to the computer and just the files are on the NAS and I avoid those problems.
Also, make sure all your artwork is in place before moving and editing of files. There is a little overhead/maint involved but in the long run, you'll find it very second nature and easier to handle.

itunes share is offered by QNAP and I have found very little use for it. It only has a "list" view of the files.

Presently i have two main directories on NAS for itunes - a master locations for lossless audio and itunes purchases. The other directory has compressed 256/320 bitrate lossee AAC files for my ipod and iPhone.

Btw, skip the usual top of itunes for listings if you have a set up similar to mine and use smart play lists.

Enjoy

- Phrehdd

Cuthbert
Nov 24, 2008, 02:48 PM
Just to let people know... I've finally decided to buy a drobo with 2, 1 TB WD green drives. I went to buy them at Buy.com who have a 5% off deal right now. However, I noticed some bad opinions about Buy.com. I therefore went to the Drobo website and then called the company asking them if they price match. They gave me a $50 off coupon code! Which is even more off since the Buy.com coupon maxes out at $15. Sweet baby!

Just so you all know...

skydog
Nov 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
ironjaw
I have two LaCie drives. One 11 months old in for repairs. The other one the power adapter is dead and I am having a heck of a time getting a new one. I am very disapointed in them. They are very solid well built on the outside but their looks betray their performance. Have had many issues with them not mounting on my desktop as well. I will not buy them again. Customer support is awefull as well.

desenso
Nov 25, 2008, 01:04 PM
First time I came across this thread so I thought I'd post the solution I'm using for my media library:

HighPoint RocketRaid 2314 (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2314.htm)
SANS DIGITAL ST-SAN-TR5M-B 5 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) Enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111057)
5x750GB Hard Drives in RAID5 for a net 2.73TB of storage

All of this is connected to a Mac Pro. The RocketRaid card has four (4) eSATA ports, each supporting port multiplication, so you can theoretically have 4 enclosures, each with 5 drives in it. I went with this card for precisely that reason: expansion in the future will just involve getting a new enclosure and a set of hard drives.

It's the best solution that I could come up with that factored in cost, scalability, and some level of data protection.

phrehdd
Nov 26, 2008, 09:19 PM
Just to let people know... I've finally decided to buy a drobo with 2, 1 TB WD green drives. I went to buy them at Buy.com who have a 5% off deal right now. However, I noticed some bad opinions about Buy.com. I therefore went to the Drobo website and then called the company asking them if they price match. They gave me a $50 off coupon code! Which is even more off since the Buy.com coupon maxes out at $15. Sweet baby!

Just so you all know...

Well don't hold back <big grin>....what is the coupon code?

- Phrehdd

fridmanator
Nov 28, 2008, 10:29 AM
but what if I have 160 GB ipod and less than that on my computer???
can I sync without loss what's on my ipod???:confused::apple::apple::apple:

Chad H
Nov 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
I have a 3.0Ghz Mac Pro with 3HD bays full at the moment(1 left). The first is a standard 320GB for OSX and the other two are both 1TB. The second one is full and the third is getting close. Do you guys think this a bad idea to set it up this way? I have about 600GB of movies and about 550GB of tv shows.

paduck
Nov 29, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have a 3.0Ghz Mac Pro with 3HD bays full at the moment(1 left). The first is a standard 320GB for OSX and the other two are both 1TB. The second one is full and the third is getting close. Do you guys think this a bad idea to set it up this way? I have about 600GB of movies and about 550GB of tv shows.

You're signature indicates you have a 500GB Time Capsule. I'm going to assume you use that to backup your 320GB OSX applications/boot drive.

So the big question is: "what is your backup strategy for the two 1TB drives?"

If the answer is "I don't have a backup of my two 1TB drives." Then I think you probably need to invest in some additional storage space. Since you have a MacPro and a lot of extras, a two or four-bay storage array probably isn't out of the picture. You can use Time Machine or similar backup software to dump data there. If you just want redundancy, then you could go with RAID1 on one of your empty drive bays.

Chad H
Nov 30, 2008, 11:59 AM
So I can buy some external HD's and use time machine to back them up there? Can you do that if my time machine is already backing up leopard/osx from the 320GB drive?

jwilcox09
Nov 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
I was wondering if people had a preference between XBOX 360 and PS3 for use as the input source to TV from NAS.

TMo70
Dec 2, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've had the Drobo installed with 3x1TB Samsung Spinpoint drives for about 2 weeks now, with great results. The combo is quiet, F/W access is as fast as my other standalone F/W drives, and the drives don't get very hot to the touch. Occasionally the Drobo fan comes on which makes it a bit louder, but not substantially so. I paid about $120 ea, but they're going for $104 on newegg.

fivepoint
Dec 2, 2008, 02:57 PM
What does everybody think about a iTunes Library solution built around this type of hardware? What sort of practical applications would this device provide? How would you utilize it in your setup?

http://gizmodo.com/5100929/voyager-billed-as-worlds-first-quad-interface-sata-hard-drive-docking-station

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/12/voyager.JPG

paduck
Dec 2, 2008, 07:32 PM
So I can buy some external HD's and use time machine to back them up there? Can you do that if my time machine is already backing up leopard/osx from the 320GB drive?

Yes, you can backup multiple drives to different Time Machine drives. Just set up the settings properly.

paduck
Dec 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
What does everybody think about a iTunes Library solution built around this type of hardware? What sort of practical applications would this device provide? How would you utilize it in your setup?

http://gizmodo.com/5100929/voyager-billed-as-worlds-first-quad-interface-sata-hard-drive-docking-station

I'm going with "really bad idea". Just get a cheap enclosure with a fan. Such a docking station is best used for making copies of drives or pulling data off. It saves having to completely assemble anything. More a workbench type tool. If you want to use something as your systemic solution, make sure it is protected from a few elements.

It might be convenient to have something like that for cheap, off-site storage. Just make a fast copy of your library. Put it on the disk, pull the drive, put it in a static bag, and then in your safety deposit box. That's what I would use it for...

ironjaw
Dec 4, 2008, 11:22 AM
I juts found this application called DV Backup, haven't tried it myself as I don't have a camera with DV-in

"DV Backup is a shareware application for MacOS X 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5
which lets you backup any data files to a MiniDV, Digital8, DVCAM or HDV camcorder." Website (http://www.coolatoola.com/index.htm)

starcat
Dec 4, 2008, 11:17 PM
If you are happy waiting 1 hour to backup 12 GB of data, then DV Backup is for you.

phrehdd
Dec 5, 2008, 06:19 PM

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/12/voyager.JPG

Have to agree with the other poster - this is really just a temp tool and not a full on day to day long hours type of drive set up. I have one of these types of units and the drives do get hot. Fortunately, its for emergencies and odd jobs only of data transfer.

- Phrehdd

phrehdd
Dec 5, 2008, 06:22 PM
but what if I have 160 GB ipod and less than that on my computer???
can I sync without loss what's on my ipod???:confused::apple::apple::apple:

You can store your music on an external drive and point iTunes to it or, simply use "add library" without files being moved locally. So the answer is technically yes. Just be careful.

Also when synching, make sure you are set up not to erase files on your iPod if they do not exist in your iTunes library.

If your music is stored on a direct attached external drive you are good to go and the same if you use a NAS.

- Phrehdd

starcat
Dec 6, 2008, 01:25 AM
The Voyager Quickport is a solution for offloading files, like backups, video and audio backups, etc. This is not a solution for online storage but to backup someting and then put the disk in your closet. If you use lot of disks you save on all the external cases and cables/switches/power supplies on your desk.

But if you need something to run your iTunes library on, then the Voyager is the wrong type of "interface". To anyone looking at a drobo, I can recommend the Qnap TS-409 Pro or even better the TS-509 Pro. It beats the drobo handsdown and the 409 with 4 disks is about the same in price. The Qnap is the Storage box LINN is offering together with its $20.000 top of the line DS series network player.

Cuthbert
Dec 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
Well don't hold back <big grin>....what is the coupon code?

- Phrehdd

I want to say it was something simple like "Drobo50," but I honestly can't remember and did not write it down. Just call the company if interested.

BrittQ
Dec 7, 2008, 08:39 PM
First time I came across this thread so I thought I'd post the solution I'm using for my media library:

HighPoint RocketRaid 2314 (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2314.htm)
SANS DIGITAL ST-SAN-TR5M-B 5 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) Enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111057)
5x750GB Hard Drives in RAID5 for a net 2.73TB of storage

How do you like the Sans Digital TR5M? I am looking at getting this for my MBP (w/ eSATA card).

Also, does anyone know the difference between these enclosures? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002710509%204018&CompareItemList=N82E16816111057%2CN82E16816111049%2CN82E16816132015%2CN82E16816111070&bop=And) What one has over the other etc... I can't decide which one to get.

phrehdd
Dec 9, 2008, 10:54 PM
How do you like the Sans Digital TR5M? I am looking at getting this for my MBP (w/ eSATA card).

Also, does anyone know the difference between these enclosures? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002710509%204018&CompareItemList=N82E16816111057%2CN82E16816111049%2CN82E16816132015%2CN82E16816111070&bop=And) What one has over the other etc... I can't decide which one to get.

Go to the bottom where the features are. One has a chipset that wont support later version of Leopard. Another comes with a raid card etc...

You should check out the "features" carefully. It really is self explanatory.

- Phrehdd

jcosmide
Jan 26, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm looking for advice on storage for a new iMac setup.

I currently have an early 2006 iMac (160GB internal) with 4 external HDDs attached:
Seagate FreeAgent 750GB: Time Machine
Iomega Ultramax 750GB: iTunes
LaCie 160GB: Random overflow from internal
40GB portable laptop drive

I'll be picking up a new iMac when they come out, and want to simplify the new setup and be able to share iTunes music & movies with my old iMac in an adjacent room.

I'm thinking of either getting a 1TB internal (which could hold my ~500 GB iTunes library) in the new iMac and a 1TB external for Time Machine -or- the standard 320GB internal and a Drobo for my iTunes (which would back itself up) and Time Machine. (assuming it's possible to have both on the Drobo).

The initial cost of the Drobo is killer and the lack of backup on an additional device is worrisome, but the simplicity and expandability are sweet.

But then having everything on the internal and backing up w/Time Machine is really simple too.

What do you guys think?

prostuff1
Jan 26, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm looking for advice on storage for a new iMac setup.

I currently have an early 2006 iMac (160GB internal) with 4 external HDDs attached:
Seagate FreeAgent 750GB: Time Machine
Iomega Ultramax 750GB: iTunes
LaCie 160GB: Random overflow from internal
40GB portable laptop drive

I'll be picking up a new iMac when they come out, and want to simplify the new setup and be able to share iTunes music & movies with my old iMac in an adjacent room.

I'm thinking of either getting a 1TB internal (which could hold my ~500 GB iTunes library) in the new iMac and a 1TB external for Time Machine -or- the standard 320GB internal and a Drobo for my iTunes (which would back itself up) and Time Machine. (assuming it's possible to have both on the Drobo).

The initial cost of the Drobo is killer and the lack of backup on an additional device is worrisome, but the simplicity and expandability are sweet.

But then having everything on the internal and backing up w/Time Machine is really simple too.

What do you guys think?

It really depends on how much expandability you want. I have a NAS that i built and runs on a minimal slackware linux distro called unRaid (http://lime-technology.com/). There forum and wiki can explain a lot. The thing i like about unRaid is its very expandable. If you have some question about it feel free to ask on the unRaid forum.

jcosmide
Jan 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
It really depends on how much expandability you want. I have a NAS that i built and runs on a minimal slackware linux distro called unRaid (http://lime-technology.com/). There forum and wiki can explain a lot. The thing i like about unRaid is its very expandable. If you have some question about it feel free to ask on the unRaid forum.

Yeah thanks, I had thought about doing something similar to this, since it's basically the same idea as a Drobo, but it seems a bit beyond my tech ability. I wouldn't want to risk my data on my NAS/server setup abilities.

Cuthbert
Jan 26, 2009, 10:34 PM
What do you guys think?

I am so glad I bit the bullet and bought a drobo. I'm a little busy at the moment, will write more about it when i have time.

Lord Adama
Jan 27, 2009, 12:44 AM
I was wondering if people had a preference between XBOX 360 and PS3 for use as the input source to TV from NAS.

I personally like using the 360 as an imput source. The newest version of connect 360 has folder support so it makes it kinda bearable. I hope to get an apple tv when I get the money. I kinda like medialink for the ps3 but since I only have the trial I can't really use it that much.

benlangdon
Jan 27, 2009, 01:08 AM
ya do not have really input but i need to upgrade very soon.
anyway, i have time machine, itunes, and all my movies running on 500gb.
i ran out of space on it like 3 weeks after i bought it :(.
its a wd drive in some no name enclosure with usb and esata.
unfortunatly its hooked up with usb. i had a esata express card and it just wouldn't work, long story, 5 cards later, nothing.

but that was a while ago so...
when i upgrade, and if it works,
i will be getting a new esata expresscard with two ports
then a 1tb drive that will only be used as time machine, and then i will let my itunes and movies take up the 500gb one and have the tb back up the 500gb one.

i really can't wait to get this.
when my esata card worked, for the brief time it did, it was amazing how fast it was, it was like it wasn't even an external drive, almost.

ya having friends that like and have the space for the same type of movies and music is great, my friend ( a windows user) acidentally deleted all his music, hooked it up to mine and a bunch of hours later, back to normal.

jcosmide
Jan 27, 2009, 06:45 AM
I am so glad I bit the bullet and bought a drobo. I'm a little busy at the moment, will write more about it when i have time.

Cool, I'm interested to see how people are incorporating them into their setup/ if the drobo's backup of itself is safe enough.

Grimace
Jan 27, 2009, 08:02 AM
WD launched its 2TB internal drive today. Toss four of those in a Drobo!

prostuff1
Jan 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
Cool, I'm interested to see how people are incorporating them into their setup/ if the drobo's backup of itself is safe enough.

Drobo can be used as a backup solution but it does not backup itself. It provides data protection but if more then one drive fails in the drobo then you are pretty much screwed. Drobo is very similar to a raid5 but it allows you to mix and match drive sizes. Don't confuse data backup with data protection.

The Drobo is a very impressive little machine and has its place in the NAS market, but you have to understand its limitations. It is very easy to use for the general consumer, but does not allow for a lot of customization.

jcosmide
Jan 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
Drobo can be used as a backup solution but it does not backup itself. It provides data protection but if more then one drive fails in the drobo then you are pretty much screwed. Drobo is very similar to a raid5 but it allows you to mix and match drive sizes. Don't confuse data backup with data protection.

The Drobo is a very impressive little machine and has its place in the NAS market, but you have to understand its limitations. It is very easy to use for the general consumer, but does not allow for a lot of customization.

Right, thanks for the clarification. I should have said data protection not data backup. In that case, how do all of you who use Drobo for iTunes backup that data?

Cuthbert
Jan 27, 2009, 03:10 PM
Right, thanks for the clarification. I should have said data protection not data backup. In that case, how do all of you who use Drobo for iTunes backup that data?

Currently, I have two 1 TB hard drives in my drobo - giving me 1 Tb of storage space. I use this 1 TB to:

1. Store my iTunes library
2. As my Time Machine Disk

I suggest going to the Drobo web site and watching the video there to clarify how drobo works - it helped me. The good thing is that when one drive goes down, all of your data is backed up on the other drive. How often will both drives crash at the same time? (unless you are one of the people who bought those 1.5 TB drives...) Also, the drives are hot swappable, which is nice. I haven't had issues to date and have been very happy.

I do however also have a separate 1TB external HD that also holds all of my iTunes content. I plan on storing that off site for extra protection just in case.

Drobos are not cheap! But, to me, it was worth it to have that peace of mind at night. I could have bought separate drives and set up a raid, blah, blah, blah - what a headache! I didn't want to have to deal with doing that. It's easy and quick for some people who have done it before, but I wanted the simplicity of the drobo.

hualon
Jan 27, 2009, 04:18 PM

I use my Drobo (4x1TB) as primary storage and it is connected to the mac pro over firewire 800.

I bought an Airport Extreme and hung a 2TB external drive off of it as a backup of the most critical data on the Drobo. This is achieved using Super Duper. This AEBS is set up outside my house in my workshop in case of fire/flood/etc. The AEBS is configure as an extender to my wireless network and its only purpose in life is hosting the hard drive.

There is a 1TB external drive that acts as a Time Machine volume for the mac pro's boot drive.

I use Mozy to maintain an encrypted cloud backup of everything. Yes, it took a LONG time to get it all up there.

Eventually I want to buy a second Drobo and put it on the AEBS in the workshop. Right now I can't fit everything onto the quasi-offsite backup (although everything is on Mozy anyway).

gregorybret
Jan 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
I purchase a new iMac in June of 08 with the intent to start converting my movie collection to play on my :apple:TV which I got a month or so before. With a 3 year old G router I was up and running in no time.
My first few months were painful. Movies would freeze and skip alot. So I upgraded to an dual band N (draft 2.0) router. That fixed the streaming problem. The 500GB internal drive was filling up quickly so I purchased a 1TB MyBook World Edition NAS. I was very slow to upload my movies to but it streamed to iTunes and :apple:TV just fine.
I filled it up in a few month and now I was starting to worry about not having everything backed up. So I just purchased a LaCie 4Big 4TB RAID. Formatted it for RAID 5 for some redundancy. It connected to my iMac with FW800 and is substancially faster than the NAS. It's about a third full and should last for a while, but if need be I can connect up to four 4TB boxes together. I am very happy with my setup now.

jcosmide
Jan 27, 2009, 06:08 PM
Currently, I have two 1 TB hard drives in my drobo - giving me 1 Tb of storage space. I use this 1 TB to:

Yeah I went back to watch the demo and check out the website a bit more.

So since the Drobo recognizes your array as one volume, you can partition part of it for Time Machine? Or does Time Machine not care if it's on the same volume as something else?

As nice as the Drobo would be to use for iTunes, to have to buy something equally as large to back it up would be cost prohibitive.

Cuthbert
Jan 28, 2009, 03:51 PM

So since the Drobo recognizes your array as one volume, you can partition part of it for Time Machine? Or does Time Machine not care if it's on the same volume as something else?

As nice as the Drobo would be to use for iTunes, to have to buy something equally as large to back it up would be cost prohibitive.

You do not need to partition for Time Machine.

Really, as far as backing up goes, it depends on how anal you are. Some people like backups of the backups of their backups - if you know what I mean. I think drobo is enough to put me at ease.

BrittQ
Jan 28, 2009, 04:05 PM

I don't have a Drobo (yet) but my understanding is:
You need to partition for Time Machine - so it doesn't fill up the entire space.

As long as only one drive fails in the Drobo, you just replace that drive and you still have all your data.

Only need to backup the entire Drobo if you don't want to take the chance of more than one drive failing at a time or want backup in case of fire/theft/flood.

I plan on getting a Drobo this weekend and putting 4x 2TB drives in it to use as my HTCP hard drive. (Store all my media).

I do not plan on getting another 8TB of space to back up the Drobo ;)

ascender
Jan 28, 2009, 04:42 PM
The Drobo is a great device, but you still need to back it up as things can (and will) go wrong. So just bear that in mind when you're speccing up a system as your library can get very big, very quickly, especially when you start doing TV shows and movies.

Even with a Drobo or similar NAS, no matter what level of RAID you have, plan a backup strategy.

srl7741
Jan 28, 2009, 04:50 PM
I just purchased a LaCie 4Big 4TB RAID. Formatted it for RAID 5 for some redundancy. It connected to my iMac with FW800 and is substancially faster than the NAS. It's about a third full and should last for a while, but if need be I can connect up to four 4TB boxes together. I am very happy with my setup now.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. May I ask what the approximate cost was?
I need to come up with something to store all my media on one place and also keep it all backed up in another place. I would like to keep it simple if possible.

ascender
Jan 28, 2009, 04:57 PM
FWIW, I think the simplest setup for this sort of thing is to have a Mac with your library on it internally and then back this up to a Drobo externally. So buy a Mac Pro or old desktop Mac, chuck 4 HDDs in it and then buy a Drobo filled with enough disks to back up your server.

uraniumwilly
Jan 28, 2009, 08:49 PM
Simplicity:

Purchased the Sans Digital TR8M ($360)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111071

Room for 8 drives and much expandibility.

Purchased the "Lycom 4 Port PCIe SATAII Host Card" from Mac gurus

Purchased two 1.5tb Seagate drives, leaving 6 bays open.

Slapped it together in no time. All runs well.

Lastly, FWIW, this thread has been a big help to me, in terms of understanding many issues. Thanks to all.

Cuthbert
Jan 29, 2009, 09:16 AM
Lastly, FWIW, this thread has been a big help to me, in terms of understanding many issues. Thanks to all.

Definitely. This is a great thread. It's helped me a lot as well. Can we get a sticky on this please?

gregorybret
Jan 29, 2009, 10:07 AM
That sounds like a pretty good idea. May I ask what the approximate cost was?
I need to come up with something to store all my media on one place and also keep it all backed up in another place. I would like to keep it simple if possible.

About $1000. Most home/workgroup RAID solutions are about the same. $400-$500 for the box and $100 and change for a TB drive. The part that sold me on this one is that it comes formatted for mac and is marketed to the mac users. I can format it using DiskUtility unlike my NAS which if it has any problems I cannot troubleshoot it on a mac.

pjarvi
Jan 31, 2009, 05:56 PM
Finally bit the bullet and bought ATV Flash to hack the AppleTV and add USB support. My current setup is now:

-iTunes library stored on 750GB external drive attached to MacBook
-500GB Time Capsule backing up MacBook and iTunes library that is on the external drive
-1TB external drive attached to AppleTV hacked with ATV Flash
-Entire iTunes library synced to AppleTV

With this setup, i'll run out of space on the Time Capsule before anywhere else.

macrazee
Jan 31, 2009, 07:25 PM
Well so far I have ~800GB of Movies, ~150GB of TV Shows, and about 25GB of Music.

That's a full 1TB gone... And I've really only began putting my DVD collection in!

Drobo seems to be the best solution; I have 2 units both 4TB (a little over 3TB actual space available on each) ... otherwise I also have a 2TB laCie laying around for additional storage.

Man this stuff eats space!

macrazee
Jan 31, 2009, 08:01 PM
WD launched its 2TB internal drive today. Toss four of those in a Drobo!

Thanks for the tip! Didn't notice they'd released them. A bit pricey at the moment (around $275) but they'll keep dropping...Not the best ratio considering I can buy Seagate 1.5TB for about $125 a pop (bare) but the reliability is questionable with Seagate these days.

Mike Teezie
Feb 4, 2009, 07:00 PM
Here is what I would like to do, but I lack the knowledge to know if it's possible.

I have an older, small Dell PC from my parents' office they let me have. The specs can be seen here (http://pcexchange-net.stores.yahoo.net/deopsxdco.html). I would like this computer coupled with a 1.5TB external HD to serve content to my AppleTV, MacPro, and Macbook Pro (all are running Boxee). I would much rather have this small machine running all the time than my Mac Pro.

It will have a wired connection to my router. All I would have to do is install iTunes on to it, and leave it running all the time, right? I could send files from my Mac Pro to it over the network using SMB or whatever.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

d21mike
Feb 4, 2009, 07:41 PM
Here is what I would like to do, but I lack the knowledge to know if it's possible.

I have an older, small Dell PC from my parents' office they let me have. The specs can be seen here (http://pcexchange-net.stores.yahoo.net/deopsxdco.html). I would like this computer coupled with a 1.5TB external HD to serve content to my AppleTV, MacPro, and Macbook Pro (all are running Boxee). I would much rather have this small machine running all the time than my Mac Pro.

It will have a wired connection to my router. All I would have to do is install iTunes on to it, and leave it running all the time, right? I could send files from my Mac Pro to it over the network using SMB or whatever.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

No. Should work fine.

Mike Teezie
Feb 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
No. Should work fine.

Man-tastic. Thanks for help!

I'm off to reformat this thing with XP Pro - so it will have nothing but that and iTunes on it. It skeeves me to know that at the core of all my Apple goodness will be a little Dell running Windows, but hey, whatever gets the job done.

mmccaskill
Feb 6, 2009, 11:29 PM
I want a Drobo over other devices simply because if you need to replace a drive you just do it. While it is rebuilding you still have access to the data. As far as I know, other devices don't do this. And I've heard the Drobo is stupid simple to use. Which is great for a married father with 2 kids (3 yr boy, 3 1/2 month boy).

voodoofish
Feb 7, 2009, 04:44 AM
I want a Drobo over other devices simply because if you need to replace a drive you just do it. While it is rebuilding you still have access to the data. As far as I know, other devices don't do this. And I've heard the Drobo is stupid simple to use. Which is great for a married father with 2 kids (3 yr boy, 3 1/2 month boy).

i have a drobo and i would recommend it. the only thing i would say is when you set it up it asks what size you want to format it to, and warns if you format it to the maximum (16TB) it might take 16mins to start up.... however, i haven't found this to be the case at all, at least on my iMac which it is connected to with FW800. A good reason for formatting it bigger than its actual capacity is that when you add more storage to the drobo, the volume you're already using can actually get bigger (up to the maximum you formatted the drive to, which at the moment you can only do up to 16TB) - whereas if you, say, formatted the drobo to 2TB and then added more space the new space would have to show up as an extra volume, meaning its as simple/seamless as it would otherwise be (part of the reason i got a drobo was to avoid the hassle of having separate external hard drives on separate volumes). the instructions don't make this that immediately obvious when you first get it though, so its something to bear in mind when you first start up your drobo and format it

starcat
Feb 8, 2009, 05:31 AM
You just do and replace a drive on a Qnap 509 Pro. Anytime you can rebuilt your raid level and volume, resize, etc, everything in the background while accessing your data. You have 5 instead of 4 drive slots and yout get 80 MB/s out of a Gigabit port (you got two of them), meaning you can put it in the closet and still have all the simplicity, redundancy and performance, but no noise in your leaving space. It has a much powerful processor and is much quicker than the drobo. You also don't have a sily threshold of 16TB for your volume size, etc. You can replicate one to a second Qnap, even remotely through WAN without a host computer. Not to speak about all the other services you may put on the Qnap. The drobo you can connect only through USB to the network, which is btw 20MB/s max. Back at the time I had a drobo, but now I wouldn't even dream of changing my Qnap TS-509 Pro for a drobo!

Capt Crunch
Feb 8, 2009, 01:11 PM
Can you mix and match the size of the disks in a Qnap Pro?

starcat
Feb 9, 2009, 01:15 AM
Can you mix and match the size of the disks in a Qnap Pro?yes, you can but it doesn't make sense because you loose too much space. But for upgrade reasons mixing drives (i.e. puting in bigger drives) makes sense. You can also have multiple volumes on a Qnap, like 3 disks for Raid5 and 2 disks for Raid1 or just JBOD (for not important data), etc.

Chase R
Feb 9, 2009, 03:15 AM
What do you guys think about this... A Mac Pro with 4 2TB Western Digital drives setup in RAID 1. This will give you 4TB of storage as well as a full backup of all data 24/7. Expensive I know but seems pretty idealistic.

NightStorm
Feb 9, 2009, 07:18 AM
What do you guys think about this... A Mac Pro with 4 2TB Western Digital drives setup in RAID 1. This will give you 4TB of storage as well as a full backup of all data 24/7. Expensive I know but seems pretty idealistic.
It would work, but you'd get better drive space utilization if you used RAID5 -- 6GB usable instead of 4GB.

srexy
Feb 9, 2009, 10:51 AM
I've just skimmed through this whole thread and although there's plenty of good options mentioned I'm stunned that more of you aren't using the HP Mediasmart as your iTunes backend...

I eventually plan on acquiring a Mediasmart but for the moment I have an old homebuilt PC running XP Pro w/a PCI raid card installed and 3x320gb Seagate Baracuda's arrayed in Raid 5 for a total of ~600gb storage. It's stuffed in a cupboard and I access it using the Remote Desktop client for Macs which works surprisingly well.

I have my aTV set to stream from the iTunes that runs as a service whenever the system restarts. I'm also feeding a MBP and an iMac from the shared library. I was toying w/the idea of hardwiring the PC into my network but have had almost incredible luck w/an old Linksys Wireless G card which is able to serve up all my needs w/nary a stutter... I did go as far as to procure a wireless N card but for whatever reason my AEBS is a complete dud and cannot connect well to the PC no matter what I do w/the antenna. Luckily Verizon provides a decent G router w/the Fios service.

I'm a bit nervous about a random component taking a dump in the PC leaving me w/a pain in the a**e re-install and prayer that the raid array will be picked up again - hence my leaning towards the Mediasmart where most of the redundancy is in the form of mirroring. That and the fact that the PC runs very hot and is probably kaiboshing my carbon footprint and my leccy bill.

uraniumwilly
Feb 9, 2009, 02:28 PM
...I'm stunned that more of you aren't using the HP Mediasmart as your iTunes backend...
I really don't understand why people would spend this kind of money for a device with 1 500gb drive and 3 bay expansion.

srexy
Feb 9, 2009, 02:57 PM
I really don't understand why people would spend this kind of money for a device with 1 500gb drive and 3 bay expansion.

I dunno - I don't think $550 for the new 750gb ex485 is that bad. How much is a Drobo or ReadyNas in comparison?

When you throw in the iTunes server, VPN, a full version of Windows Home Server ($175 as a standalone piece of software), Twonky Media Server, Time Machine compatibility, Wifi N, wake on lan, auto-reboot, Gigabit ethernet etc - I don't think it's a bad value at all.

It also seems to have the advantage of offering redundancy in an attractive pretty idiot-proof package. No need for raid 5 deliberations just a simple drive pool.

NightStorm
Feb 9, 2009, 03:01 PM
I dunno - I don't think $550 for the new 750gb ex485 is that bad. How much is a Drobo or ReadyNas in comparison?

When you throw in the iTunes server, VPN, Windows Home Server ($175 as a standalone piece of software), Twonky Media Server, Time Machine compatibility, Wifi N, Gigabit ethernet etc - I don't think it's a bad value at all.

It also seems to have the advantage of offering redundancy in an attractive pretty idiot-proof package. No need for raid 5 deliberations just a simple drive pool.

The iTunes server is the same software you find on all the NAS boxes these days... Firefly Media Server.

R.Youden
Feb 9, 2009, 03:12 PM
The iTunes server is the same software you find on all the NAS boxes these days... Firefly Media Server.

I think the HP Media Server runs a full version of Windows Home Server so it runs iTunes like your mac so it is a lot more than Firefly Media Server.

srexy
Feb 9, 2009, 03:17 PM

Fair enough.

Like I said - I was just a bit surprised that in a thread that spans 19 pages only one person mentioned this solution vs the multitudes that have a Drobo or ReadyNAS - both of which seem comparable in price but less well featured.

NightStorm
Feb 9, 2009, 03:34 PM
I think the HP Media Server runs a full version of Windows Home Server so it runs iTunes like your mac so it is a lot more than Firefly Media Server.

It can, but the HP provided software is Firefly at its heart.

JonHimself
Feb 9, 2009, 03:39 PM

I read this in another thread as well. Seems pretty awesome... almost PERFECT in terms of managing a large library. You could edit all of the tags and everything on your main computer and the use some VLC/Remote Desktop app to make sure they get copied into iTunes on the MediaSmart correctly. I suppose you could even use MediaSmart to do your ripping/encoding (or even downloading if that's your thing). I am very interested in this solution and if it works as well as many have been saying then it's only going to depress me more that Apple doesn't have a similar option.

JonHimself
Feb 9, 2009, 03:42 PM
It can, but the HP provided software is Firefly at its heart.

I thought it was Windows? I don't understand servers that well though so there's a good chance I'm just confused

JPDeckers
Feb 10, 2009, 10:20 AM
Am voting for the QNAP 509-Pro as well. Have one at home w/ 5x1.5 TB disks in RAID5 setup, have multiple appletv's connected to it, and it works very well. Stores all my digitized DVDs, as well as all downloads.

The Qdownload-service running on the box handles torrents as well as direct downloads, it runs a linux flavor enabling you to extend it beyond whatever you want, memory is easily upgradable (have upgraded to 4GB), and it is really plug-and-play. Some issues (as with anything), but very happy with it.

And yes, it's probably quite a lot cheaper to build something yourself, however, considering how much time that would cost me (setup & maintenance) this is in the end probably cheaper in the long run.

spiritlevel
Feb 10, 2009, 11:41 AM

This is exactly what I want to do

How do you go about using drobo for both media store and TM backup?

Do you use separate partitions for each? If so, how are partition sizes dealt with when you add new disks later - can they be expanded automatically (ie can you set partition size in a percentage of total storage available as opposed to a fixed partition size?

Also, I am a bit concerned about a Drobo/TM "loop" - how do you limit the amount of space given over to TM storage on drobo? With a normal external disk, the TM storage is limited by the size of the disk, TM keeps going until the HD is full, storing data over longer and longer periods of time. Once the disk is full, TM deletes the older data to allow newer data to be backed up. However, Drobo storage is expandable and when it starts filling up it asks for more disks (so it is never 100% full and therefore no old data is ever deleted). When you add more disks they are used TM to back up over longer periods of time...what I don't want to end up with is a drive that holds relatively little in terms of "current" data, but can happily pull out a file that was deleted 10 years ago...

sorry if that is not to clear but I hope you understand what I am getting at...

charlien
Feb 10, 2009, 11:53 AM
I thought I would jump in here and ask for opinions on this set up. I won a copy of Windows SBS 2003. I'm toying with using it as an iTunes server. I do use the exchange and IIS portion of the server so this isn't a huge overkill. Server 2003 supports raid-5. I was thinking of adding 4 1T USB drives in a raid-5 array. I know that write speed to usb drives would be fairly slow but I'm hoping that read speed would be okay to stream my movies. The motherboard on the server only supports 2 SATA ports so my internal raid options are limited.

Thanks for the advice.

srexy
Feb 10, 2009, 05:05 PM
I thought I would jump in here and ask for opinions on this set up. I won a copy of Windows SBS 2003. I'm toying with using it as an iTunes server. I do use the exchange and IIS portion of the server so this isn't a huge overkill. Server 2003 supports raid-5. I was thinking of adding 4 1T USB drives in a raid-5 array. I know that write speed to usb drives would be fairly slow but I'm hoping that read speed would be okay to stream my movies. The motherboard on the server only supports 2 SATA ports so my internal raid options are limited.

Thanks for the advice.

Get yourself a PCI or PCI Express SATA Raid card. I use a cheapie 4 drive Sil3114 but have read good things about the Adaptec 2610SA RAID Controller available on Ebay for under $100 usually. You may run into issues stuffing that much hardware into a case not designed for it but if like me you've got room for extra CD/DVD writers you can always convert these to drive storage. One other thing to consider is your power supply - are there enough molex (does SATA use Molex?) plugs for your additional drives.

Good luck whatever you end up doing.

jcosmide
Feb 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a Drobo while this $50 rebate thing is going on and had one question about it.

If I use Drobo as my primary storage for iTunes library, can I back my library up onto an appropriately-sized extra external HDD that I have lying around?

So basically I want to have a Drobo and a 1TB external attached to my computer and use SuperDuper to clone the iTunes folder weekly. Is this possible?

dummptyhummpty
Feb 10, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'm so glad I found this. I read through the thread and there are some great ideas! I haven't really seen any one address the issue of taking their laptop from there home and still being able to access their media.

Please see my question at the bottom of the post.

Here's a diagram of my setup:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=157310&stc=1&d=1234326029

Acer:
This was functioning as my Media/Backup server, but I'm giving it to my mom to replace her eMachine. I had uTorrent setup to download TV shows automatically. I would then access them over the network from my laptop or the AppleTV. I'd like to get away from using this as the server if possible.

MacBook Pro (docked to a 24" Dell screen when at home):
I used to rip music on the Acer, but now I do this in VMware. I rip to FLAC for future storage only and AAC for playback. I keep my ripped music separate from my iTunes purchased music. I sync iTunes with my iPhone and AppleTV (I don't mind streaming) and I'd like to have a copy of my music with me when I'm away from the house.

I was playing around with VideoDrive and like that it is able to add my downloaded TV shows to iTunes (with out converting). This allows me to access them from the AppleTV interface. Is there away to automate this? I didn't like how VideoDrive handled it. I'd like to be able to automatically convert a copy for storage on my iPhone as well. I'd like to keep a copy (of the original) on the MBP for when i'm out, but this isn't as important.

AppleTV:
It's hacked to run XBMC/Boxee and has Perian. I'd like to be able to access my media using the AppleTV interface AND XBMC/Boxee.

PowerBook:
My old laptop that's going to be in the Kitchen for web browsing.

eMachine:
My mom's old computer. She has a small iTunes collection and an iPod.

I'm thinking about pulling the two 500GB drives from the Acer and putting them in enclosures in order to use my MBP as the media server. Otherwise, I'll probably use the eMachine. I think I'll use one of the MyBooks for a SuperDuper bootable copy the other can be used for offsite backups. I'd do TimeMachine over the network if I use the eMachine. What's the best way to store my media so that it is organized and accessible at home and while away?

Cuthbert
Feb 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
Also, I am a bit concerned about a Drobo/TM "loop" - how do you limit the amount of space given over to TM storage on drobo?

To be quite honest... I have not thought about that. Let me do some research and get back to you. To date, I have had no problems with overfilling my TB of usable space. It would be nice if TM would let you limit the amount of material that is backed up so that it is not dependent on the external HD.

If anyone else on the forum has ideas, please let us know.

jcosmide
Feb 11, 2009, 10:33 AM
To be quite honest... I have not thought about that. Let me do some research and get back to you. To date, I have had no problems with overfilling my TB of usable space. It would be nice if TM would let you limit the amount of material that is backed up so that it is not dependent on the external HD.

If anyone else on the forum has ideas, please let us know.

There's actually a Droboapp called Time Tamer that can limit the size of your TM backup on the Drobo. I spoke with a rep from Drobo yesterday and she referred me to this utility. I haven't checked it out yet, as I don't have a drobo.

ascender
Feb 11, 2009, 11:33 AM
One thing about the NAS boxes running iTunes servers, how do you sync your iPods and iPhones to them?

Mike Teezie
Feb 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
As a few others have done, here is my setup as it will be. The only two things I don't have right now are the AppleTV for the Bedroom, and the ceiling speakers hooked up. I have to cut the holes in the ceiling, and run the wires. Other than that, it's all a go:

http://michaeljordanphotography.com/images/mr/setup.jpg

I have a relatively small music library, it's only 17.79 gigs right now. TV shows and Movies are going to fill up those drives quickly, and then I'll move to a more elegant solution. I had the Dell and drives already, so that's why I'm using them for now.

rhett7660
Feb 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
This is going to be next purchase:

http://lime-technology.com/

Check it out.....

pprior
Feb 11, 2009, 12:29 PM
This is going to be next purchase:

http://lime-technology.com/

Check it out.....

Hassle factor = high compared with a Drobo.

to each his own.

As to the other poster: I simply formatted my DROBO into separate partitions - TM has one and I control what size, the rest I can use for other purposes.

srexy
Feb 11, 2009, 01:51 PM
As a few others have done, here is my setup as it will be. The only two things I don't have right now are the AppleTV for the Bedroom, and the ceiling speakers hooked up. I have to cut the holes in the ceiling, and run the wires. Other than that, it's all a go:

http://michaeljordanphotography.com/images/mr/setup.jpg

I have a relatively small music library, it's only 17.79 gigs right now. TV shows and Movies are going to fill up those drives quickly, and then I'll move to a more elegant solution. I had the Dell and drives already, so that's why I'm using them for now.

Great looking setup. One question - are you able to mirror the 2 drives attached to your Dell SFF PC?

burningwheel
Feb 11, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm confused, can you put any HD in this?

pprior
Feb 11, 2009, 03:35 PM
In what?

Mike Teezie
Feb 11, 2009, 05:38 PM
Great looking setup. One question - are you able to mirror the 2 drives attached to your Dell SFF PC?

Thanks! It's impressive what Apple has built with all these devices and how well they play together. It wouldn't be half as cool of a setup if the iPhone couldn't control it all.

As to the drives - to be honest, I'm not really sure. That's what the plan is, but it's just sitting there plugged in right now. I set the one drive up and got it streaming to :apple:TV and Boxee, but haven't had time to go in and try to mirror the other drive.

I don't know crap about Windows, so there's probably going to be a heavy amount of Googling and cursing in my future.

dlegend
Feb 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
why do you have a receiver in the closet? And how are you able to change volume with it in there?

pprior
Feb 11, 2009, 07:48 PM
I have all of my audio equipment (and most computer stuff as well) in a closet/room in my basement.

IR repeaters for the audio stuff. Off topic, but it's a much cleaner look in a home theater not having audio stuff sitting in the room.

johnnj
Feb 13, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm too lazy to make a diagram, but here's a description of the topology of my home network/storage/entertainment setup:

Basement mechanical room, all wall mounted:
FiOS 20/5 internet connection
Verizon-provided Actiontec router
Netgear 8 port gigabit switch (sort of the core)
UPS
Termination of 5e runs to 3rd floor, basement server room, 1st floor den

Basement server room/storage room:
HP EX470 Windows Home Server, upgraded to 2.7GHz CPU and 2GB ram
Rosewill 5 bay ESATA drive chassis
500gb USB drive for nearline backup of software installations
Total usable storage, not including backup drive: 7.05 terabyte
UPS

1st Floor Den (Main entertainment center):
Netgear 5 port gigabit switch, connected to core switch in basement
Linksys WRT54G acting only as WAP for the house G WLAN
Popcorn Hour A-110 networked media player (no local storage)
Apple TV 40gb upgraded to 250 gb, used for music playback, local library synched to library on server
Pioneer Elite 50” Plasma TV
Onkyo TX805 AVR
Verizon networked DVR
Logitech 890 remote

3rd Floor, my office:
Netgear 8 port gigabit switch connected to core switch in basement
Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato, acting only as WAP for house G WLAN
Apple Time Capsule 500gb upgraded to 1tb, acting as Time Machine backup for my MBA and my wife’s white Macbook. Also acts as the dedicated 5GHz N WAP
Homebuilt gaming PC, dual Dell 24” monitors shared among various machines
Homebuilt ripping/transcoding PC (BD drive, bare bones XP install with utilities required for MKV encoding. Uses about 1/3 the electricity of the main desktop, so that’s why I have a dedicated machine
Verizon HD cable box for bed room TV, Niles IR blaster

3rd Floor, wife’s office:
Netgear 5 port gigabit switch, connected to switch in my office
Vonage endpoint for her business line
Networked HP laserjet printer

2nd Floor Master Bed Room:
Wall mounted 42” Sharp LCD TV, Niles IR blaster receiver
Apple Airport Express configured as WLAN bridge for 5GHz N network
Popcorn Hour A-100 networked media player (connected to Airport)
Roku Netflix box, connected via G house WLAN
Logitech 880 remote

The most relevant part to this thread is of course the server. When I was looking to replace my old lame 500gb NAS drive last year I started looking in to the HP Mediasmart servers. They got pretty good performance reviews and the price wasn't that much higher than a dedicated NAS chassis. Now the longer I have it the more useful it's become. Since it's basically a little Windows Server 2003 machine that uses little electricity I can keep it on all the time and RDC back into it from anywhere to start downloads or whatever.

The new version doesn't support it anymore, but the one I have suports port multipliers on the ESATA port. Currently I have the external chassis populated with 3 x 1.5TB drives, with 2 empty slots. The server itself has 4 slots. WHS uses something called Microsoft Drive Extender to aggregate selected drives into one seemless storage pool. Redundancy is provided at the shared folder level and will mirror the folder across 2 drives, according to the storage manager's logic and available space.

With the storage I have now, the 108 gb itunes library is a drop in the bucket.

John

srl7741
Feb 13, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm too lazy to make a diagram, but here's a description of the topology of my home network/storage/entertainment setup:

John

I think we would all enjoy some great pictures. The entire system sounds great. I'm sliding towards the HP Media Server but for some reason still holding out for an Apple product.

rhett7660
Feb 13, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hassle factor = high compared with a Drobo.

to each his own.

As to the other poster: I simply formatted my DROBO into separate partitions - TM has one and I control what size, the rest I can use for other purposes.

There is a hassle factor (sort of) However this can do so much more then a drobo but then again. To each his own. Just putting it out there as another possible solution for the ever expanding media collections people have.

Felder71
Feb 13, 2009, 02:43 PM

John

I can't even guess what your power bill must be! :D Sweet setup though.

johnnj
Feb 13, 2009, 05:29 PM
I can't even guess what your power bill must be! :D Sweet setup though.

Thanks!

Actually, the electric bill isn't that bad (when the central air isn't running). The desktop with the 1kw power supply only runs when I'm using it, as does the machine I use for recoding. The server's UPS reports about 120w of usage. Half that is the chassis. I think they over-spec'ed the power supply in that thing a little.

I try to balance that out by using timers and motion sensors on lighting.

I'll try to take some photos this weekend...

John

Chase R
Feb 14, 2009, 04:36 AM
I was bored so I drew up a diagram lol.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/bikerx007/95080fbc.png

The 512GB SSD would be the boot drive.
The 1TB HDD is the Time Machine drive for the SSD.
The 4 2TB HDDs are the movie drives in RAID 1.
The Time Capsule serves as the AirPort Extreme base station, Time Machine drive for MacBook, and for file sharing between Mac Pro and MacBook.

SSD and 1TB HDD would go where the second optical drive bay is.

One day... One day...........

basesloaded190
Feb 14, 2009, 11:51 AM
I was bored so I drew up a diagram lol.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/bikerx007/95080fbc.png

The 512GB SSD would be the boot drive.
The 1TB HDD is the Time Machine drive for the SSD.
The 4 2TB HDDs are the movie drives in RAID 1.
The Time Capsule serves as the AirPort Extreme base station, Time Machine drive for MacBook, and for file sharing between Mac Pro and MacBook.

SSD and 1TB HDD would go where the second optical drive bay is.

One day... One day...........

Every Tech Geek's dream right there ^^^

MovieCutter
Feb 14, 2009, 03:02 PM
Taking a break from editing, I whipped together how my house is set up.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3391/3278979781_4186cb08da_o.jpg

Data has built-in redundancy between the two Drobos. I have a syncing program sync new stuff from the iMac's Drobo to the MacBook's Drobo (as well as the 2TB MyBook hooked up to the bedroom's AppleTV), so if one dies, I have a backup. MacBook replaces AppleTV in the Home Theater because I now have 1080P movies I need to play into that TV. Mac Pro has 4TB inside for editing, photos, documents, personal stuff, etc. with plans for a 3rd Drobo added to that for backup. All media machines are hardwired through Airport Extreme, while my bedroom AppleTV and MacBook Pro feed off the wireless. All in all it's a great solution. I can watching anything from anywhere, and everything stays automatically up to date.

txhockey9404
Feb 14, 2009, 03:40 PM
Well, I posted a while ago in this thread, but now my setup has been changed a great deal. I was having a large amount of trouble with the diagram, so until I can get one up, here is my setup: (all is wireless except for XBOX 360)

Main Airport Extreme--In Basement, serving Comcast internet to house (Wii and other Airports connected))
Slave Airport Extreme--In office, bounces main signal, (XBOX 360, iMac, HP C6200, 2 Dell laptops connected (only 360 via ethernet))
Slave Airport Express--Upstairs, bounces signal again (2 iMacs, 2 iPod touches)

So, for the media portion, one iMac has a 500gb WD My Book Home Edition (FW 400, USB 2.0, ESATA, for iTunes) and 750gb Maxtor One Touch 4 (FW 400, USB 2.0, ESATA, for Time Machine). It is on from about 8 AM to 10PM, encoding or serving as well as being used as a main computer. This serves all the media for the house.

The other iMac is just pulling media off of the first, and is basically just a family machine. It is connected via Airport to the other, and gets all of the same content.

We currently use 3 iPod Video 30gb 5gs, an iPod Nano 3g 8gb, an iPod touch 1g 16gb, and an iPod touch 2g 32gb. Some of the music and video from the iMac is stored on an iPod 5g and plugged into the XBOX for use in the basement. We are hoping to either get an Apple TV when it goes 1080p (the difference is noticeable on our 110" basement TV) or just use Netflix on the XBOX.

If you have any ideas on improvement, please let me know.

Also, is there a way to point a Time Machine drive connected to an Airport Extreme to another drive connected to a second Extreme? I have been unsuccessful in doing this and it would make everything easier for our house as it would not require the iMac to be on all the time.

benlangdon
Feb 15, 2009, 12:54 AM

i think i have the same sony receiver as you do.

geez i wish i had some of these setups, although for my audio setup right i think its just about were i need and want it

kinda wanted to post my full set up

2.2 ghz mbp
with

a 19 Westinghouse screen that has a dual link cable between them
then for my internet all cat 6 cable from my port which is hooked to a gigabit router and modem
then optical cable to my sony receiver which has 4 speakers, 1 center speaker, 2 subs.
then to a 500gb external drive using usb :(
then external keyboard and mouse
then printer

then from my drum set
my mbp connected
to my sony receiver again, diff connection
then to a old monitor in front of my drum set
then from my receiver a cable going through my drum set to under my snare for my headphones
which are beyer dynamics pro dt 770's or westone um1's

ya, now i just need some more external hdd space, like a nice terabite would do me good.
you guys with a bunch of 2tb drives just make my storage problem look like nothing,
ya my storage problem has had my mbp and external maxed for like a year now.

NightSailor
Feb 16, 2009, 05:20 PM
There are a lot of solutions, but obviously you need larger drives for back up than your primary drives.

At present, I basically install the biggest possible hard drive on my machines, and have an external backup drive via and eSata connector or USB 2.0 connector. I am finding this does not work, as my Time Machine backups have started failing as time has gone on.

I think it is important to split data and applications apart as I've been unable to go back to earlier releases of software like Safari under Time Machine--so there is no point in keeping these on backup except as compressed packages.

Further redundancy by duplication on multiple machine helps, but there are issues making sure the latest files are updated. Some of this can be automated. I want to avoid a lot of maintenance work and network traffic. My network has grown a bit, and gotten correspondingly more complex. I have eight machines, and expect to add one more Mac Mini for development and testing, and perhaps an iMac for my girlfriend. I'm trying to phase out my Windows machines, but I'm forced to keep them for certain software I must have--some of which I will have to test under Parallels.

I use manual backups at times. I consider a Gigabit Ethernet the minimum necessary for this. Anyone who does backup over Wifi, needs to see a doctor.

The bottom line is I have not been satisfied with this configuration for music file back up, and furthermore, all file backups, including video files. Building a good configuration takes a combination of time and money. I like to do things as cheaply as possible, so I tend to build and/or modify things to suit my needs.

My plan, which is under construction, is to build a case which will hold 10 hard drives, plus two RAID Arrays of 5 each in RAID 0, with mirroring between the two 5 TB RAID Arrays--one will be my primary data drive configuration. I'm not sure exactly how I'll use the other ten drives aside from Time Machine backups. At first I'll toss in all the 500GB drives and maybe concatenate various drives together. Later I'll upgrade all drives to 1TB Seagates. I like Seagates, and the cost is quite low. The bigger 1.5TB drives have a higher failure rate.

I have to get going. I'll try and update this post later.

Semio1es
Feb 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
I am using an external Hard drive attached to my hacked ATV.

I hacked the ATV using ATVUSB-Creator

How should my external drive folder structure be organized?

Exactly like iTunes?

I want to store all my Music and Movies on my external but I want to be able to have playlists and the album covers for the music.

How is this possible?

I only access these files thru AppleTV.

iSaygoodbye
Feb 20, 2009, 06:50 PM

Data has built-in redundancy between the two Drobos. I have a syncing program sync new stuff from the iMac's Drobo to the MacBook's Drobo (as well as the 2TB MyBook hooked up to the bedroom's AppleTV), so if one dies, I have a backup. MacBook replaces AppleTV in the Home Theater because I now have 1080P movies I need to play into that TV. Mac Pro has 4TB inside for editing, photos, documents, personal stuff, etc. with plans for a 3rd Drobo added to that for backup. All media machines are hardwired through Airport Extreme, while my bedroom AppleTV and MacBook Pro feed off the wireless. All in all it's a great solution. I can watching anything from anywhere, and everything stays automatically up to date.

how much did all that cost

MovieCutter
Feb 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
how much did all that cost

A lot. A year ago there's no WAY I could have imagined I could have afforded this, but I got a new job in August and this is the result! If you want a rough guestimate:

52" LCD: $1400
32" LCD: $450
2.4Ghz MB as HTPC: $300
4TB Drobo: (freelance charge to client)
8TB Drobo: (freelance charge to client)
AppleTV: $150
AE "N" Base Station: $100
20" iMac: $900
Octo Mac: $2300
30": $1000
2.8Ghz MBP: $1900
2TB WD MyBook: $250

A lot of this stuff I bought on Craigslist, MacRumors, Ars for cheap from people who didn't know or care what they were worth. The TV's were bought new. Some of the Apple stuff is "employee" discounted. Drobos were compensation for favors for some freelance clients. I'm swapping out a few pieces in the near future (15" getting swapped to 17" MBP in a few days, Octo Mac to whatever the next one is, same for the 30" ACD)

srl7741
Feb 21, 2009, 03:21 PM
8TB Drobo:

Where did you purchase the WD 2TB drive from? I'm looking for a few and trying to compare the different pricing.

Thanks

LERsince1991
Feb 21, 2009, 06:55 PM

Since your told me in PM YOU dont ned your 30" DISPLAAY, i reccommnerbd you dontae it to luke.

MovieCutter
Feb 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
Since your told me in PM YOU dont ned your 30" DISPLAAY, i reccommnerbd you dontae it to luke.

???

Chase R
Feb 21, 2009, 07:57 PM

Time to put the bottle down...