PDA

View Full Version : Storage Solutions for our OUT-OF-CONTROL iTunes Libraries

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

DAMAC3
Jan 4, 2010, 02:40 PM
Storage needs are always growing,

Look for a External Case that holds 2 Hard drives, if you put 2 2TB HD's in there you have a 4TB Volume in one case. Double it and you have a backup. as you need more, you just replace with bigger hard drives over the next year or two as your need surpass the current setup

Even if you have a Drobo/unraid, you dont have a backup, you have some safety in hard drive failure. but not data failure !!!!!!!

I'm no data storage or backup expert, but I assume you mean data corruption. That is definately a problem with any system like RAID or unRAID. Pictures, Home Movies, and important documents get backup up regularly to 3rd and 4th locations. That is definately a negative to a redundant storage system. I use my unRAID system for mostly movies and TV shows. If one gets corrupted, I'm not concerned. It is easily replaced. A drive failure scares me so much more because it equates to hours of re-ripping.

GSX
Jan 4, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hi,

I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of people using Drobo stuff to manage their multimedia libraries.

While doing some research I checked the Amazon reviews and it seems to me Drobo has a lot of problems with failures and reliability.

For example with the Data Robotics Drobo 4-Bay USB 2.0/FireWire 800 SATA Storage Array (http://www.amazon.com/Data-Robotics-FireWire-Storage-DR04DD10/dp/B001CZ9ZEE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) out of 153 reviews 34 people give it 1 star.

Drobo sounds like it has some interesting products, but what's the point if their reliability sucks?

So I am wondering is Drobo a good brand or not?

rhett7660
Jan 4, 2010, 06:20 PM
You will find mixed reviews of the drobo...... Either from the forums at drobo, here and any of the home theater forums which talk about htpc's....

prostuff1
Jan 4, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hi,

I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of people using Drobo stuff to manage their multimedia libraries.

While doing some research I checked the Amazon reviews and it seems to me Drobo has a lot of problems with failures and reliability.

For example with the Data Robotics Drobo 4-Bay USB 2.0/FireWire 800 SATA Storage Array (http://www.amazon.com/Data-Robotics-FireWire-Storage-DR04DD10/dp/B001CZ9ZEE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) out of 153 reviews 34 people give it 1 star.

Drobo sounds like it has some interesting products, but what's the point if their reliability sucks?

I considered the Drobo when I was doing my search but as not entirely thrilled with the propritary format. That caused me to do a lot of searching, reading, looking, and comparing; all of which ended up leading me to unRAID. I used the free 3 drive system for a good 3 months or so before I paid for the pro version. Have not been happier and everything has been working great for me.

DAMAC3
Jan 4, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I have an unRAID system like I was talking about a few posts ago, however I have had a DROBO in my home for an extended period of time. I was pleased with the overall usability, and it streamed Blu-ray rips perfectly fine. I moved some drives around between it and my unRAID server, so I got a chance to see how it did rebuilding the data after pulling a drive (the same as if one failed). It was simple to use. I guess I cannot speak on the reliability since I didn't have it for very long. I did prefer my unRAID server because transfer speeds were much faster, I like having my data on the network and not hitched to one of my computers (you have to purchase a separate network device to do that with the DROBO), and I like the flexibility of being able to add more than 4 drives to my system.

I used the DROBO with a Mac Mini & Plex in a home theater that I set up for someone. The DROBO was as simple as NAS gets, and that person needed something simple. Despite my reasons for not keeping it, I really did like the DROBO. I would recommend it for most people, but I like the unRAID system better.

starcat
Jan 5, 2010, 01:53 PM
Despite my reasons for not keeping it, I really did like the DROBO. I would recommend it for most people, but I like the unRAID system better.

Exactly my thinking, I like the Drobo but I don't have it because there are better solutions out there.

dal17
Jan 5, 2010, 09:32 PM
I am having trouble routing my itunes to my external hard drive using a pc. I have a large number of music files on my external hard drive and do not want to move the files to my internal hard drive. I have tried going to preferences and selecting the external drive, but itunes does not display my music. Can anyone walk me through the correct procedure?

mstrze
Jan 6, 2010, 07:18 AM
I am having trouble routing my itunes to my external hard drive using a pc. I have a large number of music files on my external hard drive and do not want to move the files to my internal hard drive. I have tried going to preferences and selecting the external drive, but itunes does not display my music. Can anyone walk me through the correct procedure?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364?viewlocale=en_US

GSX
Jan 8, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hi,

I am back again with a few more questions.

Does anyone have any opinion of the following LaCie external hard drives:

LaCie 4TB 4big Quadra http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GFB6I8/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0HKE5D0WMZ1JD9S2JE6S&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

LaCie 2TB 2big Quadra http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KFH6HY/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1NES4TBGKABEXKP61QA4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I am looking to set up my videos on an external drive with my home theatre. I am looking for something 2TB and up. I want something big enough for my current needs, but also with room to grow. Also, as an Apple fan I appreciate esthetics, and want something that looks nice since it is going to be a part of my home theatre.

These units definitely look nice and have large capacities. I also like that they have the ability to configured in different ways to protect data.

Do I have to use the LaCie drives with these units, or can I use other drives? I couldn't find a definite answer for this.

Also, I have a follow up to my previous Drobo question. Does the Drobo come with any drives?

Thanks.

mcb13
Jan 8, 2010, 08:19 PM
Also, I have a follow up to my previous Drobo question. Does the Drobo come with any drives?

Thanks.

You can buy Drobos with or without drives.

Looks like they are offering 1.5 and 2.0TB Western Digital drives right now.

http://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.14395000

GSX
Jan 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
You can buy Drobos with or without drives.

Looks like they are offering 1.5 and 2.0TB Western Digital drives right now.

http://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.14395000

Cool. Thanks for the link.

nippyjun
Jan 8, 2010, 10:37 PM
I havent read through the entire thread but a hp mediasmart home server can do so many things including being an itunes server and it does time machine backups.

ChrisMc73
Feb 10, 2010, 10:23 AM
I didn't read through all 31 pages of this thread, but has anyone considered or might be using a ReadyNAS? I just joined the Mac revolution, have always loved Apple and Mac, just now got my first one; a MacPro.

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ where I'm keeping all my iTunes music and all my photos as well. It can be an iTunes server and works with Time Machine, however I haven't set that up yet. I'm still learning and getting used to the Mac OS right now...

I switched and I'm 100% satisfied with my decision. ZERO regrets.

As you would expect.

srexy
Feb 10, 2010, 10:30 AM
I havent read through the entire thread but a hp mediasmart home server can do so many things including being an itunes server and it does time machine backups.

Yep - if you'd read through the thread you'd see a few that have gone this route... ReadyNAS too...

Blown284
Feb 10, 2010, 10:41 AM
I store all my stuff on my QNAP NAS (1.5TB) and my Synology NAS (2TB) and that has been working for quite some time :D

Not to mention, they are outstanding as Itunes servers, web servers, mysql server, file server, .... and the list goes on and on :D

the.orange.tuba
Feb 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to Mac and "complex" backup solutions, so any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Can unRAID or Lime Tech storage products work with the newest Airport Extreme(MC340LL/A)? If so, would I connect via USB or through the ethernet port?

I really need the Airport Extreme feature of letting Windows XP/Vista and Mac X computers read and write files that each Win and Mac computer can then access. I understand drives must be formatted with Apple's HFS+ so this can work via the Airport Extreme.

My needs are for backup and streaming movies and music. Would unRAID / Lime Tech work for this or would you recommend something else?

Thanks!

prostuff1
Feb 12, 2010, 11:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to Mac and "complex" backup solutions, so any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Can unRAID or Lime Tech storage products work with the newest Airport Extreme(MC340LL/A)? If so, would I connect via USB or through the ethernet port?

I really need the Airport Extreme feature of letting Windows XP/Vista and Mac X computers read and write files that each Win and Mac computer can then access. I understand drives must be formatted with Apple's HFS+ so this can work via the Airport Extreme.

My needs are for backup and streaming movies and music. Would unRAID / Lime Tech work for this or would you recommend something else?

Thanks!

If a device is hooked up to the network the formatting of the drive does not matter.

The Limetech products CAN NOT be plug in via USB to an Airport extreme but they can be used via Ethernet.

I run a unRAID on my NAS and really like it. It does take some getting use to because it is not quite as easy to use as something like a Drobo.

jmor
Feb 14, 2010, 03:40 PM
Okay my ideal storage plan:
-time machine backup for me
-time machine backup for my dad
-one drive where dvd rips will be held;will only be stored there not on computer (no room)
-backup of dvd rips

I was hoping drobo (lowest end) could do this and possibly offer backups of any of the above as a precaution, we don't have a lot of data at all so the amount is not too great. The only thing I'm not too sure about is-can I have one drive in the drobo just do time machine backups and the other for dvd/itunes and another for backing up each?

wysinawyg
Feb 15, 2010, 04:29 AM
Okay my ideal storage plan:
-time machine backup for me
-time machine backup for my dad
-one drive where dvd rips will be held;will only be stored there not on computer (no room)
-backup of dvd rips

I was hoping drobo (lowest end) could do this and possibly offer backups of any of the above as a precaution, we don't have a lot of data at all so the amount is not too great. The only thing I'm not too sure about is-can I have one drive in the drobo just do time machine backups and the other for dvd/itunes and another for backing up each?

Drobo just gives you a huge single pot of storage and will spread things out over all the drives in it without you having any control.

You can partition it to give allocated sizes for backups, but you have no idea how many of the drives that data is held on.

Its also less than great for doing back ups of information that you are holding on it. It does give you some protection against corrupting / accidentally deleting files, but if you get a hardware failure causing you to lose some of the information there is a good chance it will lose everything.

Not a bad choice for what you are looking for as long as you add an additional drive to make a proper backup of the DVDs.

pagansoul
Feb 15, 2010, 06:57 AM
I've use my MacPros 4 drives (1TB each) for my main storage. I have external drives for backup plus MOZY for my 'can't live without' programs, photos, ebooks and mail. My problem is I rip a few movies a week and am quickly running out of space. I'm thinking about putting the ones I don't view often on DVD and take them off the machine. Right now I have over 500 movies and tons of TV shows on my iTunes.

lorduberjebus
Feb 15, 2010, 03:10 PM
I come here post HD failure. 2 weeks ago the drive in my imac died. All I have to say is thank the heavens for Disk Warrior. I had no real backup to speak of but I was able to salvage almost everything, although it's hard to tell what's missing.

At any rate I have, needless to say, been searching for a backup/storage solution so this doesn't happen again. I don't have a lot of movies or music (unlike my brother I buy them) but I'd like to start storing copies of what I have and stream it to a home theatre and itunes express for music. I've had that 'gray screen' with itunes digital copies, and after the crash I can't seem to get them going again as I had in the past.

After reading a bit more about the Drobo it doesn't sound like a great solution. Leaning towards the unRaid despite my complete lack of tech skill in that department. Has anyone else who isn't tech savvy running one of these lime-tech machines?

prostuff1
Feb 17, 2010, 07:21 AM
I come here post HD failure. 2 weeks ago the drive in my imac died. All I have to say is thank the heavens for Disk Warrior. I had no real backup to speak of but I was able to salvage almost everything, although it's hard to tell what's missing.

At any rate I have, needless to say, been searching for a backup/storage solution so this doesn't happen again. I don't have a lot of movies or music (unlike my brother I buy them) but I'd like to start storing copies of what I have and stream it to a home theatre and itunes express for music. I've had that 'gray screen' with itunes digital copies, and after the crash I can't seem to get them going again as I had in the past.

After reading a bit more about the Drobo it doesn't sound like a great solution. Leaning towards the unRaid despite my complete lack of tech skill in that department. Has anyone else who isn't tech savvy running one of these lime-tech machines?

That question is probably better asked over on the unRAID forum (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php) but I am sure you will find some people over there that had no prior experience with Linux or were very tech-savvy.

I myself had built on computer, knew a fair bit about computers, but had never run a server nor played with Linux and setting everything up for me was fairly easy!.

jmor
Feb 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
Okay, so the idea is this ...

Office (blue) : iMac with a mybook attached that holds the only copy of the itunes library so it does not take up space on the iMac. Then, a Time Capsule to back up Time Machine of the iMac, with a printer connected and the mybook so itunes is available throughout the house. Last, a Drobo backing up the time capsule and mybook so there is a copy of both on the drobo. My question is can the Drobo do this and be connected to the Time Capsule so it is wireless or do I need Drobo Share for this?

Family Room (red) : just a large tv with a mac mini connected, that could pull itunes for play on the tv from the mybook/drobo

Extra Room (green) : a printer and speaker system that could be accessed wirelessly through an airport express

Living Room (purple) : a tv with an :apple:tv hacked with atvflash that could access itunes through the mybook/drobo or mac mini ?

Bedroom (orange) : macbook (w/cinema display) that could access both printers and the mybook for itunes and the time capsule/drobo for backups and eventually maybe another atv but that isn't a problem really

So this would ideally happen within the next year or so although we already have a decent amount of the things needed I just was wondering if I could get a set up like this working with a equipment mentioned or something similar, well let me know, any responses are valued thanks :)

TheStork
Feb 23, 2010, 06:32 PM
jmor, Have you checked into the Synology NAS's? They're Mac friendly right out of the box.

http://www.synology.com/us/solutions/backup/time_machine/time_machine.php

http://www.synology.com/us/products/

Here's a link to their site with a comparison matrix for their various NAS's.

http://www.synology.com/us/products/compare_spec.php

Panch0
Feb 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
Okay, so the idea is this ...

My question is can the Drobo do this and be connected to the Time Capsule so it is wireless or do I need Drobo Share for this?

You can connect the Drobo via USB to the Time Capsule and it will be available. HOWEVER - if you try to run any volume of data through it, it will over tax the USB controller on the time capsule, resulting in a very hot TC and a disconnected Drobo.

At least that was my experience... YMMV.

In my case ripping two DVDs in Handbrake from two Macs, both targeting the Drobo connected to the TC was just too much. Once I realized I was overheating the USB controller on the TC, I tried just ripping the dvds to the local drive then copying them to the Drobo. This was OK doing a couple of files at a time, but just copying a handful of ~2GB files without a break still seemed to be too much for the TC.

I later direct connected the Drobo to the Firewire port on my iMac (FW400 unfortunately) and it has been running great ever since.

Foxile
Feb 24, 2010, 02:31 AM
This still remains my biggest bugbear with OS X, the lack of NAS support.

I'm running a Thecus N4100+ with 4x WD 750Gb drive in Raid5 to hold my ripped DVDs etc.

What really baffles me, is why I can't do a Time Machine backup or keep iTunes library on the drive, without a lot of messing about ( even then it's proved unreliable for me...the backup solution, not the Thecus ).

jmor
Feb 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
jmor, Have you checked into the Synology NAS's? They're Mac friendly right out of the box.

http://www.synology.com/us/solutions/backup/time_machine/time_machine.php

http://www.synology.com/us/products/

Here's a link to their site with a comparison matrix for their various NAS's.

http://www.synology.com/us/products/compare_spec.php

No, I hadn't seen them before, what is the advantage over the drobo? Also, is it as easy to use as drobo?

jmor
Feb 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
You can connect the Drobo via USB to the Time Capsule and it will be available. HOWEVER - if you try to run any volume of data through it, it will over tax the USB controller on the time capsule, resulting in a very hot TC and a disconnected Drobo.

At least that was my experience... YMMV.

In my case ripping two DVDs in Handbrake from two Macs, both targeting the Drobo connected to the TC was just too much. Once I realized I was overheating the USB controller on the TC, I tried just ripping the dvds to the local drive then copying them to the Drobo. This was OK doing a couple of files at a time, but just copying a handful of ~2GB files without a break still seemed to be too much for the TC.

I later direct connected the Drobo to the Firewire port on my iMac (FW400 unfortunately) and it has been running great ever since.

Okay thanks, that very useful information

DoFoT9
Feb 25, 2010, 03:23 PM
i have been looking for a storage solution that serves as both a primary backup for my movies/music/etc AND my main backup.

im thinking RAID1 in this instance, and something that will connect to my existing daisy chain of drives (dual bay enclosure->DVD burner->single bay enclosure via fw800).

i have come across a number of dual&quad bay drives made by Hotway (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=177_287)(pccasegear.com.au).

i have yet to decide on which one i want but it is between these two.

1. Dual Bay Enclosure (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_287&products_id=12413) - 1x USB 2.0, 1x Firewire 400, 2x Firewire 800 (Aus$125)

2. Quad Bay Enclosure (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_287&products_id=11407) - 1xUSB 2.0,1x e-SATA, 1x1394 A, 2x1394. (Aus$319). It uses the OXUFS936QSE Chipset, anybody have an idea how bad/good that is?

I am also looking at this - Dual Bay Enclosure (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_287&products_id=12985) (USB + eSata only) for Aus$95.

decisions decisions!!!!

hope i can help somebody out.

suggestions?

Simonmiller
Mar 3, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hi everyone,

Hoping for some suggestions please on how I could manage my specific situation! Any help would be much appreciated - I've gone through this thread but amn't sure what would be best for me - I've a bit of an idea about what RAID is, but I'm not sure what NAS is! Here is my current set-up:

iMac G5 with 1TB drive
External 500GB for Time Machine back up only
Mozy Home service for backing up files online
Airport Express linked to cable modem

I'm looking to get an Apple TV in the next two weeks so have started ripping all my DVDs to my iMac.

Problem: My 500GB time machine back up is now full, so I need to replace my external hard drive. I'm not worried about a RAID solution for having my backup drive backed up as I'll have an online backup through Mozy. But I'm guessing it's possible I may at some point want to move my iTunes library onto an external drive so that I can increase the size of it above the 1TB storage capacity of my iMac. I'm also thinking of upgrading my broadband connection to 50Meg so may need to replace my Airport Express with an Airport Extreme for -n wireless, although my broadband company will give me a free new router.

What I'm ideally looking for: i'm looking for a drive which could host my expanding iTunes library, and also use for Time Machine and which the Apple TV and iMac could stream from.

I'd really love any thoughts from you guys - is there a benefit in having wireless storage? Does that work ok with Apple TV, and can anyone with a similar set-up recommend a good option? I'm not too worried about price.....

Thanks!

wysinawyg
Mar 3, 2010, 07:50 AM
AppleTV can't stream from anything other than a Mac. So to the extent thats all you're looking to do and you don't have anything else planned you'd be much better off with direct attached storage (as theMac will have to be on and reading the info anyway and it would be a much lower network load if the Mac is reading locally rather than having to pull stuff off a NAS and then stream it to the AppleTV).

Plenty of options then available from just a bigger external HDD through to something like a Drobo Pro depending on how much space you think you're going to need.

For what you're contemplating at the moment a NAS is more a headache than a benefit although obviously if you might add aditional computers to the mix later that might change.

hitekalex
Mar 3, 2010, 08:39 AM
AppleTV can't stream from anything other than a Mac.

Or a PC.. ;)

witness
Mar 3, 2010, 08:43 AM
Drobo is about the best available external storage solution that works well with Mac.

Your OS sees a 16TB drive (via USB or FW) and you can plug in as many/few drives as you choose. So if you need more space, just throw in a new drive, no software, formatting or moving data to worry about.

I have my Aperture Masters library and Time Machine running on one via FW800 and it's very fast.

wysinawyg
Mar 3, 2010, 09:26 AM
Or a PC.. ;)

heh, good point. And a quick google suggests people have (of course as somebody somewhere has tried most things...) hacked MediaSmart NASs to run iTunes which should allow you to stream direct to an AppleTV.

Too much trouble for me though and in my increasing quest for simplicity I've decided to add a Drobo to the MacMini I bought a few weeks ago. This will handle all my iTunes needs (with luck) in what is hopefully a very friendly and non-hacky manner!

Simonmiller
Mar 3, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll just go with a 2TB external drive at the moment and partition half of it for Time Capsule and half of it for an iTunes library when I need to.

Drobo looks great, and I like that it's expandable, but it is SOOOOO expensive over here in the UK!

wysinawyg
Mar 3, 2010, 10:28 AM
Drobo looks great, and I like that it's expandable, but it is SOOOOO expensive over here in the UK!

Tell me about it. Drobo + 2 x 1.5TB WD drives = 450 (or thereabouts from Amazon) which is $675 for our yankee bretheren.

And less space than your 2TB external!

Still I'm looking at it as a long term hub for the house so I can (just about) live with that.

witness
Mar 3, 2010, 11:10 AM
Tell me about it. Drobo + 2 x 1.5TB WD drives = 450 (or thereabouts from Amazon) which is $675 for our yankee bretheren.

And less space than your 2TB external!

Still I'm looking at it as a long term hub for the house so I can (just about) live with that.

Bought mine from Amazon UK and threw in a few drives I had spare. It's worth it. I've had RAID5 before and it's such a pain to manage. Drobo just takes care of itself.

mstrze
Mar 3, 2010, 11:29 AM
What I'm ideally looking for: i'm looking for a drive which could host my expanding iTunes library, and also use for Time Machine and which the Apple TV and iMac could stream from.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT use only one drive to host iTunes library files AND to backup. If that drive fails, you lose all your iTunes media (unless it's backed-up online, but I can't imagine backing up many, MANY GB of DVD rips will be an easy or cheap prospect.)

I have a 1TB external that serves exclusively as my iTunes Library HDD plus a 1.5TB external that is my Time Machine backup of both my internal AND iTunes drive.

My externals are connected to my iMac Mini and the ATV streams its media from there. I am very happy with my setup. Have my Mini set to 'wake on wireless' so it's asleep unless being used, or needed to serve up files to the AppleTV.

mstrze
Mar 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll just go with a 2TB external drive at the moment and partition half of it for Time Capsule and half of it for an iTunes library when I need to.

No....no...NO!!! (see my previous post!!!) ;)

Simonmiller
Mar 3, 2010, 12:40 PM
No....no...NO!!! (see my previous post!!!) ;)

Hmmm good point, although I do have all my stuff backed up online at the moment which is through Mozy's Home service - $5 a month for unlimited storage (although very slow when you have a big upload to do).

So I guess it's either 2 x 1.5TB external drives or bite the bullet and buy a Drobo which will also be expandable. Thanks!

keeper
Mar 3, 2010, 01:08 PM
Hmmm good point, although I do have all my stuff backed up online at the moment which is through Mozy's Home service - $5 a month for unlimited storage (although very slow when you have a big upload to do).

So I guess it's either 2 x 1.5TB external drives or bite the bullet and buy a Drobo which will also be expandable. Thanks!

I'm going through this at the moment as my time capsule died after 18mths, although apple replaced it i'm moving to some thing a little more robust.

I've ordered the NAS below with 2 1.5TB disks that will be a raid one to provide a safe guard from a disk crash.
http://qnap.expertsinstorage.com/nas/two-drive-s/qnap-ts-219p.html

This can be configured to use part of the drive for time machine.
http://www.qnap.com/fw_v3/images/tm.jpg
Or watch this
http://www.youtube.com/qnapsys#p/c/853062135B31EC34/1/cWs_jpBjFGo

This will then be backed-up to an 1.5tb external hard drive which I can offsite.
http://qnap.expertsinstorage.com/enclosures/single-drive-hot-swap-enclosure.html

Right or wrong this is the direction I'm going as everyone has different ideas.
I just wish a NAS could be used to stream movies to a ATV without leaving a mac on or having some type of media server. Thats my next problem but I don't fancy spending 500 on a mac mini.

Cheers Phil

ChrisA
Mar 3, 2010, 06:06 PM
What I'm ideally looking for:[/U][/B] i'm looking for a drive which could host my expanding iTunes library, and also use for Time Machine and which the Apple TV and iMac could stream from.

Any data you store on the Time Machine drive is not backed up. So in this case yor iTunes library would not be backed up by Time Machine.

When you buy a drive for TM. Add up the size of all the data you have or WILL HAVE and then buy a drive that is at least 1.5 times larger. It would be better if it were 2 times larger Using this rule you may need to use raid for the TM drive as drives are only available up to 2TB today. But in every case the TM drive should be the largest drive you have.

srexy
Mar 3, 2010, 06:26 PM

Or a single enclosure that has space for 2 hdds. Carbon Copy Cloner will happily back one of the drives in the enclosure to the other. I presume Time Machine will also but I have not tested that out myself.

Simonmiller
Mar 6, 2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys - decided to go with a 2TB Time Capsule in the end - if my iTunes library ever outgrows my 1TB iMac capacity I can always move it to an external hard drive.

Cheers!

GermanSuplex
Mar 7, 2010, 03:48 AM
Using this rule you may need to use raid for the TM drive as drives are only available up to 2TB today.

Western Digital sells a 4TB external drive but it is close to $500.

DoFoT9
Mar 7, 2010, 04:08 AM
Western Digital sells a 4TB external drive but it is close to $500.

which is still in RAID0 ;) no different to what the OP said.

GermanSuplex
Mar 7, 2010, 04:43 AM
which is still in RAID0 ;) no different to what the OP said.

Well, in that regard you can buy numerous items over 2TB then. I'm pretty sure the Western Digital external is plug and play, regardless of what it does under the hood.

DoFoT9
Mar 7, 2010, 04:50 AM
Well, in that regard you can buy numerous items over 2TB then. I'm pretty sure the Western Digital external is plug and play, regardless of what it does under the hood.

fair point. its an OOTB thing. no config needed, big + i guess (for a price of course)

benlangdon
Apr 15, 2010, 03:35 AM
how do i make a server?
what i want to have happen is this.
i will have 2-3 hard drives in a windows machine, and it will be seeding the files.
can i then somehow connect wirelessly to that computer and access the data on the computer?

also, side question, if my mother board has a ide connection for the hard drives and the cable inside only has one connection, can i just by a cable with more connections?

this is what i want to happen.
here goes, i want to get this windows machine running, with at least 3 hard drives.
then run a raid setup on the first two onto the third (duplicate the data, i think raid 1?).
then have this computer always connected, seeding files.
then, i want to be able to access that machine from my mac laptop, wireless or connected, from the router?

some help would be much appreciated. so sick of my current setup, way to much hassle.

DoFoT9
Apr 15, 2010, 03:38 AM
how do i make a server?
what i want to have happen is this.
i will have 2-3 hard drives in a windows machine, and it will be seeding the files.
can i then somehow connect wirelessly to that computer and access the data on the computer?

also, side question, if my mother board has a ide connection for the hard drives and the cable inside only has one connection, can i just by a cable with more connections?

this is what i want to happen.
here goes, i want to get this windows machine running, with at least 3 hard drives.
then run a raid setup on the first two onto the third (duplicate the data, i think raid 1?).
then have this computer always connected, seeding files.
then, i want to be able to access that machine from my mac laptop, wireless or connected, from the router?

some help would be much appreciated. so sick of my current setup, way to much hassle.

BAHA! you have absolutely NOT idea how easy that really is ;)

ill find a thread and link you - i have provided a pretty indepth walkthrough for another user.

tbh, you REALLY dont want to use windows though - because it can only use SMB or FTP (natively) file sharing. apple doesnt FULLY play along, it much prefers AFP.

RAID1 is mirrored yes, i have recently added a 2x2TB RAID1 external enclosure to my list haha.

as for the IDE, i am fairly certain that the IDe ribbon can take 2 devices, and there is no room to expand. had you thought about getting a SATA PCIe card? or FW/USB/eSata PCIe card? quite handy.

will provide link once i find it!
EDIT: see this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9451610&postcount=14) post from the thread :) might help

marknicholls
Apr 15, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hey all,

Im considering purchasing an apple TV

How many of you backup your data onto another drive/server? or if you loose your data do you just re download it as you have already paid for it? Is there an expiry date or could you re download your movies in ten years for free if you wanted?

Thanks

Mommylinn
Apr 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
Upfront I have to say that I have no idea what most of you are talking about. I am comparatively comfortable with technology, but I don't understand all the technical jargon, and I am not able to build devices myself. (That's why I love my Mac)

I am looking for a solution to my iTunes library storage problem too. Although my library seems very small to what I've seen described here! I have about 40GB of movies (from iTunes), 20GB of TV shows (also from iTunes), and less than 10GB of music. This is all on my MacBook Pro, which only came with a 160 GB drive. When all my photos and school stuff are added in, I frequently cannot do software updates because it's too full.

I also have an AppleTV, with all of my movies and TV shows synced on it. I need a solution that will allow me to move the movies and TV shows off my computer and onto something that will work as a computer with my AppleTV. I have several children who are comfortable using the AppleTV, and the TV shows are mostly theirs, so "the solution" needs to make everything fully accessible with a click of the AppleTV remote.

I would like a solution that would allow my to do the Home sharing option on iTunes, so that if there was a movie I had previously moved to "the solution," I could move it back should I want to watch it while I'm away from home.

My brother suggested connecting an external hard-drive to an Airport Extreme base station and running the movies wirelessly through it to the AppleTV. Does this work? Wouldn't it still need some sort of software interface that runs iTunes? He was also concerned about the amount of energy using a computer would require. He said that while expanding the drives of a G4 would probably be the least expensive option at first, after a year those saving would be lost to the electric bill from running it all the time.

Any suggestions for a fairly techno-illiterate mom?

DoFoT9
Apr 16, 2010, 05:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

@ lynn,

Please bare with me, as i am typing this from my mobile! I dont think that it's possible to do the external hdd plugged directly into the airport method - not in the way you described anyway.

I am fairly certain that you will be able to store your entire itunes library on your external hd that is connected to the airport, it will appear as a drive on your desktop and you can copy everything to the hd. From there its then possible to stream/copy files to the appletv. Note that for streaming to happen, you must have your laptop turned on and connected to the network etc.

Another solution would indeed be another computer, such as a old mac mini or even some sort of netbook laptop (which consume hardly any power).

:)

idunn
Apr 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
if you loose your data [purchased from iTunes] do you just re download it as you have already paid for it?

Surely best to double-check with Apple on this, but fairly certain purchases from iTunes are a one time deal; if what you've purchased is lost, you would need to buy it again.

Thus the need to backup your data, in its entirety in two separate places.

tbayrgs
Apr 16, 2010, 10:35 PM
I am looking for a solution to my iTunes library storage problem too. Although my library seems very small to what I've seen described here! I have about 40GB of movies (from iTunes), 20GB of TV shows (also from iTunes), and less than 10GB of music. This is all on my MacBook Pro, which only came with a 160 GB drive. When all my photos and school stuff are added in, I frequently cannot do software updates because it's too full.

I also have an AppleTV, with all of my movies and TV shows synced on it. I need a solution that will allow me to move the movies and TV shows off my computer and onto something that will work as a computer with my AppleTV. I have several children who are comfortable using the AppleTV, and the TV shows are mostly theirs, so "the solution" needs to make everything fully accessible with a click of the AppleTV remote.

I would like a solution that would allow my to do the Home sharing option on iTunes, so that if there was a movie I had previously moved to "the solution," I could move it back should I want to watch it while I'm away from home.

My brother suggested connecting an external hard-drive to an Airport Extreme base station and running the movies wirelessly through it to the AppleTV. Does this work? Wouldn't it still need some sort of software interface that runs iTunes? He was also concerned about the amount of energy using a computer would require. He said that while expanding the drives of a G4 would probably be the least expensive option at first, after a year those saving would be lost to the electric bill from running it all the time.

Any suggestions for a fairly techno-illiterate mom?

The External HDD connected via USB to an Airport Extreme should work perfectly for you. Since it sounds like you are able to sync your entire media library to the :apple:TV, you don't need to have your MBP running with iTunes open in order to view your media on the :apple:TV--this is only essential for streaming (vs. syncing which copies your media on the :apple:TV's hard drive). If you decide you'd like watch something on your MBP while away from your home network, you can just copy it back to the HDD on the MBP. And if for some reason you have to reset the :apple:TV, you can just resync the library (with your MBP on your home network and running iTunes, of course).

MacModMachine
Apr 17, 2010, 07:22 AM
i have tried just about everything and finally settled on this

Hackintosh unit , 6x2TB drives

Apple's software RAID 1+0

i have 6 TB of usable fast storage, streams to ATV , Popcorn hour and my iphone VIA squeezepod.

all for roughly 800 CAD.

i used to have drobo and then drobo pro....too slow for me.

this setup allows for the utmost flexibility, it requires a little more power...not much though if setup properly.

furthermore i managed to cool the whole system by just 2 fans, downclocked the cpu, fanless video card , fanless cpu cooler (using rear 120mm to cool cpu heatsink).

its very quiet and very reliable.

motherboard : P5QSE-PLUS
memory : 2x2GB PC2-6400
HDD : 6x2TB WD GREEN (ran widdle on them to remove spindown)
Cheap black case , 500W dual reliability coolermaster PSU
6 bay 3.5" that fits in 4 cdrom bays.
9400GT video card 1GB hypermemory
30GB OCZ Solid SSD
cheap raid controller i managed to find with mac support (to run ssd because i ran out of ports :D )

OSX 10.6.3

i installed squeezebox on it and with squeezepod i have access to all 30,000 of my songs over 3g or wifi anywhere i am....i love it to death.

any questions....i can answer :D

Mommylinn
Apr 17, 2010, 08:25 AM
Since it sounds like you are able to sync your entire media library to the :apple:TV, you don't need to have your MBP running with iTunes open in order to view your media on the :apple:TV--this is only essential for streaming (vs. syncing which copies your media on the :apple:TV's hard drive).

I had forgotten about that, thanks! Yes, I can sync all the movies and TV shows from my MBP, but I also have some TV shows I downloaded onto our PC :o because I had run out of space on my MBP. I would like to move everything onto one server, so neither computer has to be open to watch them. Even with the extra TV shows, I think I could still sync the entire library, if I could first get it all in one place.

I don't actually have the current Airport Extreme base station, I have the older one from 2003, B class, which I was told would not work for doing this. But lets say I use an external hardrive to move my library off my MBP, use Homesharing to move the shows I want from my PC onto my MBP, and then move them onto the external hardrive. Once I have them all in one place, could I then sync the Library (on the EH) with my AppleTV through my MBP? Is that possible, and if so, how is it done?

tbayrgs
Apr 17, 2010, 11:04 AM
I had forgotten about that, thanks! Yes, I can sync all the movies and TV shows from my MBP, but I also have some TV shows I downloaded onto our PC :o because I had run out of space on my MBP. I would like to move everything onto one server, so neither computer has to be open to watch them. Even with the extra TV shows, I think I could still sync the entire library, if I could first get it all in one place.

I don't actually have the current Airport Extreme base station, I have the older one from 2003, B class, which I was told would not work for doing this. But lets say I use an external hardrive to move my library off my MBP, use Homesharing to move the shows I want from my PC onto my MBP, and then move them onto the external hardrive. Once I have them all in one place, could I then sync the Library (on the EH) with my AppleTV through my MBP? Is that possible, and if so, how is it done?

If you have both your MBP and your PC on the same network, you should be able to connect an External HDD to either, enable sharing of the drive and just move everything from both computers to the External over your network. Then just point your iTunes library on your MBP to the External HDD. You can then sync everything to the :apple:TV--it will transfer your media from the external to the :apple:TV over your home network.

GermanSuplex
Aug 17, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm seriously debating deleting all of my SD content for shows with HD versions... between my iPhone and iPad, I no longer sync SD content when an HD version exists (even though SD content on the retina display looks great, HD content is noticably better) and of course, only HD videos are watched on the Apple TV. I can probably free up around 200GB of space if I delete my SD content.

Has anyone done this or thought about doing this?

roidy
Aug 17, 2010, 02:11 PM
When I purchase HD content I don't even bother downloading the SD versions as I have no portable device to play them on and it's just a waste of storage space and download bandwidth. The down side to this is I now have about 120 un-downloaded SD items in my iTunes download queue that I can't get rid of:mad: Meaning every time I try to download something in iTunes the whole queue starts to download and i have to delete everything I don't want from the queue:mad:

GermanSuplex
Aug 17, 2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I think I'll just take the plunge.

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 18, 2010, 09:02 AM
Regarding the DROBO, I am specificallyinterested in the FW800 model, are they noisy?

I currently use a 2TB in RAID 1 WD mybook via FW800 and it is fanless so very silent.

Noise is an issue for me, can anyone comment on this?

zedsdead
Aug 18, 2010, 09:06 AM
Regarding the DROBO, I am specificallyinterested in the FW800 model, are they noisy?

I currently use a 2TB in RAID 1 WD mybook via FW800 and it is fanless so very silent.

When the fan kicks on they get a little loud, but nothing horrible. When the fan is off, they are pretty quiet. I highly recommend one.

vastoholic
Aug 18, 2010, 01:15 PM
i installed squeezebox on it and with squeezepod i have access to all 30,000 of my songs over 3g or wifi anywhere i am....i love it to death.

You are my hero!! I would love to build a set up like that.

martin1000
Aug 18, 2010, 03:56 PM

when copying to the Drobo there is a little noise, but it is very low. I haven't noticed the fans kicking in at all. All I keep on my drobo is a copy of my itunes library (music, movies, tv shows)

martin1000
Aug 18, 2010, 04:00 PM
Hey all,

Im considering purchasing an apple TV

How many of you backup your data onto another drive/server? or if you loose your data do you just re download it as you have already paid for it? Is there an expiry date or could you re download your movies in ten years for free if you wanted?

Thanks

All of my itunes library is on a drobo (about 600GB). I have also hacked the apple tv (atv flash) and store the library on an external hard drive connected directly to the apple tv.

poloponies
Aug 19, 2010, 11:06 AM

I have my Drobo connected to an iMac which serves my iTunes content to my ATV (even though they're less than 10 feet apart, I run it all through my Airport Extreme). The Drobo is unobtrusive and I can't hear anything, even during very quiet moments in movies. When I stand right next to it and the fan's kicking in then it's audible, but fairly soft.

ascender
Aug 25, 2010, 08:12 AM
Very pleased with my Drobo streaming via the iMac, but I'd still like to move to a setup which doesn't need the Mac to be switched on.

Is there anything out there yet which will act as a proper iTunes home server, allowing you to stream audio & video as well as synching iPods/iPhones etc?

magikgeek
Aug 25, 2010, 08:46 AM
Personally, I prefer Synology DS410 over Drobo products. It supports Time Machine and iTunes.

I am using (4) 1.5TB with RAID 5 which equates to 4TB of use-able space. For movies, I have gone the XBMC on Apple TV route over using iTunes to stream content. For music I use a iTunes on a normal laptop and a PC to stream music to the Apple TV's speakers.

There are some draw backs to using a NAS:

1. XBMC has some difficulties working around the DS410 administration system, as it can't immediately access the root; you have to use a guest account that is password free.
2. Virus scanning a NAS is problematic due to software availability. It's easy to virus scan an attached drive but not a NAS.

I hope this helps the community.

DS410: $499 (Amazon.com)
HDs: $80 x 4 = $320 (Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD15EARS)
Total Cost: $819

vastoholic
Aug 27, 2010, 01:19 AM
I don't know if anyone has seen these yet or not, but seagate is releasing some nice little NAS devices that say they are compatible as an iTunes server. The new Blackarmor 400 line comes in 3 options. The most basic, which doesn't include any storage is still $400, but it includes 4 hot swappable drive bays and can be set up in all RAID configurations as well as JBOD (I have no idea what that is anyway). From their site stats it looks like each bay can accommodate up to a 2TB HD. I think I'll be looking into these a little later on down the road. I don't need it yet, but at the rate of my increasing TV show consumption, I'll need by the end of the year.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/blackarmor/

DoFoT9
Aug 27, 2010, 04:16 AM
I don't know if anyone has seen these yet or not, but seagate is releasing some nice little NAS devices that say they are compatible as an iTunes server. The new Blackarmor 400 line comes in 3 options. The most basic, which doesn't include any storage is still $400, but it includes 4 hot swappable drive bays and can be set up in all RAID configurations as well as JBOD (I have no idea what that is anyway). From their site stats it looks like each bay can accommodate up to a 2TB HD. I think I'll be looking into these a little later on down the road. I don't need it yet, but at the rate of my increasing TV show consumption, I'll need by the end of the year.

interesting to know. bit expensive - especially since they dont state anywhere what hardware chip it uses, so i am not sure if i trust it.

Hackintosh unit , 6x2TB drives

all for roughly 800 CAD.

man.. you can answer me HOW the hell you got 6x2TBs and an entire computer for $800!! aussie -> CAD is roughly the same.

also, what RAID card was that?

NightStorm
Aug 27, 2010, 07:01 AM

I bet the iTunes Server is based off of the same package as everyone else -- Firefly. The problem with this is, unless something has recently changed, it will only serve music and hasn't been under active development in awhile.

vastoholic
Aug 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
I bet the iTunes Server is based off of the same package as everyone else -- Firefly. The problem with this is, unless something has recently changed, it will only serve music and hasn't been under active development in awhile.

I don't think it's a big deal for me anyway. I would probably still have it routed through my computer anyway. That's not one of the selling points for me. I've just been looking into a prebuilt package deal that included more than 2 swappable drive bays.

majorchestnut
Oct 5, 2010, 11:51 PM
Personally, I prefer Synology DS410 over Drobo products. It supports Time Machine and iTunes.

I am using (4) 1.5TB with RAID 5 which equates to 4TB of use-able space. For movies, I have gone the XBMC on Apple TV route over using iTunes to stream content. For music I use a iTunes on a normal laptop and a PC to stream music to the Apple TV's speakers.

There are some draw backs to using a NAS:

1. XBMC has some difficulties working around the DS410 administration system, as it can't immediately access the root; you have to use a guest account that is password free.
2. Virus scanning a NAS is problematic due to software availability. It's easy to virus scan an attached drive but not a NAS.

I hope this helps the community.

DS410: $499 (Amazon.com)
HDs: $80 x 4 = $320 (Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD15EARS)
Total Cost: $819

How's the performance of those WD hard drives? I'm thinking about getting a setup very similar to yours, except getting the 2TB Caviar Green hard drives.

ascender
Oct 6, 2010, 04:45 AM
Seeing the comments about Firefly, is there still nothing out there which will act as a true, standalone iTunes server allowing you to stream music & video while synching iOS devices as well?

Still using a Drobo here via an iMac and it would be good to be able to stream to Apple TVs without having the Mac on.

robotartfashion
Oct 6, 2010, 12:26 PM
How's the performance of those WD hard drives? I'm thinking about getting a setup very similar to yours, except getting the 2TB Caviar Green hard drives.

I have had two of the 2TB Caviar Greens for a year or so now, chugging along without a problem, quiet, low power, get the job done with HD streaming. I recommend it!

Apple Expert
Oct 6, 2010, 12:40 PM
When I purchase HD content I don't even bother downloading the SD versions as I have no portable device to play them on and it's just a waste of storage space and download bandwidth. The down side to this is I now have about 120 un-downloaded SD items in my iTunes download queue that I can't get rid of:mad: Meaning every time I try to download something in iTunes the whole queue starts to download and i have to delete everything I don't want from the queue:mad:

I've already done that. It's HD or nothing for me!:D

iMJustAGuy
Oct 6, 2010, 12:56 PM
Surely best to double-check with Apple on this, but fairly certain purchases from iTunes are a one time deal; if what you've purchased is lost, you would need to buy it again.

Thus the need to backup your data, in its entirety in two separate places.

I'm sure it's a "per basis" type thing. I've done this 3 times and they let me every time... only problem is you have LOTS OR SORTING to do because every app you've ever downloaded also comes with it. They queue your entire history of downloads.

OmegaRed1723
Oct 6, 2010, 12:57 PM
No complaints with my Drobo v2, either. I swear it's quieter than the 1.5TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk external drive I was using before. That thing would click and whirr And make all kinds of horrible noise. The Drobo, with 4 WD20EARS drives, is much less bothersome.

Advance The Man
Oct 19, 2010, 07:59 AM
I currently have a 2TB MyBook external (two independent 1 TB hard drives) via Raid 1 for iTunes storage. I'm closing in quick on the maximum data allowed. I'm happy with this original purchase. I'm considering either...
1) buying identical 2TB MyBook external..or
2) buying 4TB MyBook external

If I do #1, could I somehow set it up as Raid 1? Still don't understand this stuff, please make a recommendation on purchase. Option #2 is $400 and that's the upper limit I will spend. Thanks.

panicgolf
Jul 2, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have 15TB of music, and 6TB of HD movies. Yes i said TB, while that may sound alitle extreme or lot extreme, it is what it is... i love music and have an out of control OCD music addiction with some ADHD in there too, not a good combo...
oh and i am terrified of losing any version of any songs so i have double storage issues also.

i do have some duplicates due to mergin all the comps after home sharing etc, and i have stacks and stack of old Ext HDD and plain HDDs sitting around. I currently use the Seagate Barracuda 3TB and buy them buy the cart load and want to use only those from now on.

I am trying to figure out how to have multiple libraries all on my Mac Pro tower attached to my network with DROBO etc or some type of multiple bay enclosures, prolly go with DROBO...

I need to know how to open 2 or more libraries at same time and i do know the option trick when switching on Itunes, thats not it, i want to see them all in one itunes window (via sidebar) and see the files only if I click on the library. home sharing yes, but then they are on diff accounts and i have to keep switching users etc.

I use a mac pro Quad with 3TB in 4bays for 12, and i have multiple NAS and Ext HDD arrays holding another 24 TB of mp3 mp4 aac flac wav, hd and movie formats etc. not to mention 4TB of photos.. packrat central also have 6 imacs, and a mini, 4 apple tvs and 4 ipads, maybe 6 iphones and pods in the household and i want them all to be able to see and hear all this stuff. i do not like to see 456 movie titles in apple tv, so until apple tv has a better interface for searching and opening movies, this will have to do.

Why would i need this??? because if you have more than a couple TBs on any one library every stroke or click slows down all of Itunes and you get this terrible delay thing and with ADD i tend to keep clicking and then you know what happens....

so i am crazy...yes...but is there any way to do this or any solution that would help???

i do have the Multiple Itunes library management app but i can not see that it does what i need.

thanks for the replies in advance..gotta go keep transferring...

DustinT
Jul 2, 2011, 07:42 PM
I have 15TB of music, and 6TB of HD movies. Yes i said TB, while that may sound alitle extreme or lot extreme, it is what it is... i love music and have an out of control OCD music addiction with some ADHD in there too, not a good combo...
oh and i am terrified of losing any version of any songs so i have double storage issues also.

i do have some duplicates due to mergin all the comps after home sharing etc, and i have stacks and stack of old Ext HDD and plain HDDs sitting around. I currently use the Seagate Barracuda 3TB and buy them buy the cart load and want to use only those from now on.

I am trying to figure out how to have multiple libraries all on my Mac Pro tower attached to my network with DROBO etc or some type of multiple bay enclosures, prolly go with DROBO...

I need to know how to open 2 or more libraries at same time and i do know the option trick when switching on Itunes, thats not it, i want to see them all in one itunes window (via sidebar) and see the files only if I click on the library. home sharing yes, but then they are on diff accounts and i have to keep switching users etc.

I use a mac pro Quad with 3TB in 4bays for 12, and i have multiple NAS and Ext HDD arrays holding another 24 TB of mp3 mp4 aac flac wav, hd and movie formats etc. not to mention 4TB of photos.. packrat central also have 6 imacs, and a mini, 4 apple tvs and 4 ipads, maybe 6 iphones and pods in the household and i want them all to be able to see and hear all this stuff. i do not like to see 456 movie titles in apple tv, so until apple tv has a better interface for searching and opening movies, this will have to do.

Why would i need this??? because if you have more than a couple TBs on any one library every stroke or click slows down all of Itunes and you get this terrible delay thing and with ADD i tend to keep clicking and then you know what happens....

so i am crazy...yes...but is there any way to do this or any solution that would help???

i do have the Multiple Itunes library management app but i can not see that it does what i need.

thanks for the replies in advance..gotta go keep transferring...Have you looked into any alternatives to iTunes?

DoFoT9
Jul 2, 2011, 07:50 PM

hey panicgolf, that really is quite an OCD obsession you have there! i am kind of the same though :)

for your multiple library issues, im just trying to think of the best hack for you (it would basically be some sort of hack).

if you have two instances of iTunes open on the server, then it might let you see 2 different libraries through the connecting server.

you could also host 1 library on the server computer, and 1 library on the machine - the local library would appear as usual, then the server one would appear as the sidebar thingy.

personally, i wouldnt go DROBO. too inconsistent, but thats up to you.

toolbox
Jul 2, 2011, 08:06 PM
I had a Ready NAS NV+ with 4 1 TB hdds in a raid 5 array. This nas was used to store my out of control library which at one point was border-lining close to 1 TB ( yes may seem small but i wanted it to expand couldn't do it on my imac ) The Library was put onto my Ready NAS and simply just told itunes to point to a share on the NAS.

However the nas i feel was a little under powered as if major changes were done particularly editing things in itunes or importing then everything stopped and froze

I have recently purchased a new NAS Thecus N55200xxx, has great specs and 5 drive bays. I have 5x 2 TB hdds in a raid 5 array with 8 TB total, 7.5 TB usable. i am able to do all sorts of editing, file copying and modifying itunes content with out it freezing

panicgolf
Jul 3, 2011, 01:46 AM
thanks toolbox, i see your point, and not being too savvy i guess hosting most of them on an actual server and not the local might solve the sidebar preference but wouldn't they all take forever to load up under a "share" like in home sharing?? thats the real issue...when i click on a share library, whether another local machine hosted library or a NAS like the Stora (which sucks by BTW) it still takes forever to actually load up, can i increase the load speed anyway??

i guess that is my real gripe, that anything super large takes a long time to load and when looking to listen by the time it loads i am no longer focused enough to listen, usually walk away before it even loads.

my other misinformed thoughts say i might not be understanding the library and what it really is, why so long to load?? if the files are there already isn't it just populating the grid in the Itunes UI? if the actual media folder contains all the files and its just linking when i click over on a shared library, why so long to populate? and is there a preference That allows me to see several shared libraries on the same itunes UI?

any hack to move files between home shares in itunes or still have to go to root folders??

i know itunes is a database, but why is there no way to just point the Itunes UI and different data within the same UI?

panicgolf
Jul 3, 2011, 01:51 AM
Have you looked into any alternatives to iTunes?

can you suggest anything better, not sarcasm, i would love anything that did what i wanted simply, but I assumed, maybe wrongly, that Itunes was the "end all be all" it is after all.....Apple.

panicgolf
Jul 3, 2011, 01:58 AM
I have recently purchased a new NAS Thecus N55200xxx, has great specs and 5 drive bays. I have 5x 2 TB hdds in a raid 5 array with 8 TB total, 7.5 TB usable.

RAID 5? is that the best use for Itunes? i don't want to go overboard and waste space on truly not really critical data,b I do want some degree of safety.. also with Iphoot, I need real safe RAID backup protection, which RAID is best for truly redundant but not really slow pro?

toolbox
Jul 3, 2011, 02:11 AM
RAID 5? is that the best use for Itunes? i don't want to go overboard and waste space on truly not really critical data,b I do want some degree of safety.. also with Iphoot, I need real safe RAID backup protection, which RAID is best for truly redundant but not really slow pro?

My nas is not only used just for itunes! There are other things hosted on it that if i lost i would not be happy camper. The older nas will have the raid re done and used as a backup of the Thecus

ChrisA
Jul 4, 2011, 01:36 AM

Raid 5 is the best for this purpose. With raid five you can have one drive fail and still not loose any data. It is most efficient if the RAID is made with 4 or more drives so only one of the four drives holds parity data. A mirror uses half the drives for redundant storage. RAID 5 has the most usable space for a given number of drives.

But RAID is NOT a backup system. You still need to keep multi[le copies and at least one off site copy to be safe. The leading cause of lost data is NOT drive failure. Theft of the equipment, operator error and software errors cause more data loss. RAID will not protect frm the leading causes of data loss. Backing up two copies of a large RAID is expensive but if tou have that much data the data is worth far more

keeper
Jul 4, 2011, 04:20 AM
thanks toolbox, i see your point, and not being too savvy i guess hosting most of them on an actual server and not the local might solve the sidebar preference but wouldn't they all take forever to load up under a "share" like in home sharing?? thats the real issue...when i click on a share library, whether another local machine hosted library or a NAS like the Stora (which sucks by BTW) it still takes forever to actually load up, can i increase the load speed anyway??

i guess that is my real gripe, that anything super large takes a long time to load and when looking to listen by the time it loads i am no longer focused enough to listen, usually walk away before it even loads.

my other misinformed thoughts say i might not be understanding the library and what it really is, why so long to load?? if the files are there already isn't it just populating the grid in the Itunes UI? if the actual media folder contains all the files and its just linking when i click over on a shared library, why so long to populate? and is there a preference That allows me to see several shared libraries on the same itunes UI?

any hack to move files between home shares in itunes or still have to go to root folders??

i know itunes is a database, but why is there no way to just point the Itunes UI and different data within the same UI?

Not sure if this is what you need, but I use it to stream to my mobile phone via 3G, who needs icloud?? You can also get a desk top version from the app store, seems to work alot faster than itunes, have a look at "Subsonic" http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Cheers Phil

ReggaeFire
Jul 4, 2011, 10:03 AM
I have 15TB of music

I'm trying to wrap my head around this number. That means you have at least 20,000 UNCOMPRESSED albums. Why? (Not why do you have 20,000 albums, but why would they be uncompressed? You could shrink that library down at least 30% (probably more) if you used ALAC). And if you have them compressed, so you have more than 20k, A) wow. that's rather crazy. Where do you store the physical discs? and B ) How long did it take you to encode that many albums or C) assuming you may have pirated huge chunks of that... do you even have time to listen to them? It would take more than 3 years to get through it all listening 24/7.

ascender
Jul 5, 2011, 09:52 AM
I've upgraded my Drobo to 4 of the WD green 2TB drives and its running fine, very good performance streaming video.

My bigger concern was how to back 4TB+ of data, but that's been solved with the new WD MyBook 6TB Studio drive which is about 350. I'll just run a CCC job once a week to back it up.

There still doesn't seem to be anything out there that can truly be an iTunes server to devices as well as allowing synching of IOS devices, so the plan is to buy a Mac Mini and hook that up to the Drobo to act as a server and that saves us having to leave the iMac on 24*7.

MattG
Jul 5, 2011, 12:37 PM
I just ordered one of these bad boys:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/

And some 2TB drives to go with it.

drgrafix
Jul 5, 2011, 08:17 PM
For the moment I'm getting by with a nice, quiet Fantom 2TB USB drive plugged right into my Airport Extreme. The AppleTV is hard-wired with shielded cable from upstairs (25' cable). Its working fine, but I think I want to mod the ATV so that I can stick the drive right upstairs with the ATV and a 12" shielded cable. Sometimes if my Apple goes to sleep the media drive can't be found by the ATV so I have to run downstairs and wake up my iMac. Then it works fine.

I now have two 1TB Fantom green drives and this 2TB one that is dedicated to media. These drives have performed _better_ than my old Lacie 1TB FW800/400/USB Time Machine drive, which Lacie replaced when it died. They gave me a different model (single drive) that seems to be running better. But the Fantoms are cheap, quiet, fast enough, and they work.

UnSainted
Jul 6, 2011, 08:26 AM
I set up a FreeNAS box..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12751164&postcount=72

Apple Expert
Jul 6, 2011, 02:34 PM
Anybody have any experience with the LaCie NAS?

bobsbarricades
Jul 24, 2011, 09:13 PM
just started my own thread on this and suddenly find this much more comprehensive one! And I searched!

So:

"OK, so I have 2 500GB Western Digital MyBook external hard drives. They're great. But they're firewire, and need to be plugged in and yadayadayada.

My good friend "easy" says it's be sweet to have a little rack that accepts the HDD's inside these encolsure's (i believe they're SATA - this one (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=500+gb+mybook&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1121&bih=670&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16119252260346518844&sa=X&ei=9LwsTsSVOIHAgQeVt7yQCw&ved=0CGgQ8wIwBQ#ps-sellers).

Ideally I would like to have these put in a small rack in my closet or something. When I want to back up files or access them, I just go turn it on, it sees my wireless network, and it pops up on my MacbookPro. Easy a pie.

Possible? Cheap? doesn't seem so =,(

I am starting to think...what If I just daisy chained the Western Digital Firewire externals to my iBook G4 that is currently (and will for a while) accessing the internet through an ethernet cable and sharing it wirelessly. Longevity is key, so I want to be able to turn them on/off as needed.

How would I then share them to other users who access my iBook made wireless network?

Aside on iTunes Match - I inherited my dad's CD collection so I have about 300 gigs of music I digitized. I figure once iTunes Match is up and running I won't have a problem as I'll be able to just download what I want and not worry about having this 300 gig chunk floating around. Do I understand this correctly? What about all the indie guys I download on Bandcamp?"