Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it seemed the best place....

I want to share photo's with the rest of my family, whilst keeping any meta data / tags intact. The problem is that I'm the only one with a Mac with everyone else having a PC.

So I want to be able to add tags to photo's and then be able to copy them all to a hard drive which in turn I'll use to copy them to their PC's and vice versa. Though its the going from PC to Mac that is more important - my Dad has a large photo library and I want to be able to import it every so often as he gets all the photo's labelled up correctly.

Obviously I've got iPhoto and I'll most likely get Aperture at some point - I'd like to keep to Apple software if possible. But what software can I get them to use on their PC's that will enable the level of sharing and data exchange that I want?

I hope that makes sense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want to share photo's with the rest of my family, whilst keeping any meta data / tags intact. The problem is that I'm the only one with a Mac with everyone else having a PC.

What you have to do is agree on how to store meta data. What will your dad be using? What meta data is he entering?

Almost certainly Aperture will work for you as it has extensive support for all kinds of meta data. But likely iPhoto could work too.

The simplest thing is that you both agree to use Adobe Bridge but you don't have to agree on a program, agree on a way to store meta data.

Jan 30, 2006
A great way to share photos could be .Mac. Everyone can upload photos and the photos can contain the keywords. Just make sure all your family have the same keyword system and it should be fine.

One solution, tho it would be very expensive, is to use Lightroom. Since it works in PCs and Macs it would work great. Or use Bridge as ChrisA said.

Or make a try with a free software for Windows that lets you add keywords to photos, then pass them to iPhoto and see if the keyword is still there.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
This brings up an interesting question:

Has anyone turned Adobe Bridge loose on their iPhoto 08 "file" (or bundle; whatever that thingie is called) to run a batch change?

I'm looking for an easy way that I can have a copyright added to the Meta data in my entire iPhoto library, or otherwise make "big" changes in an automated fashion.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.