Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld reports that the MLB At Bat application that was demoed at WWDC last week will be sold on the App Store for $4.99.

The application allows baseball fans to get live scores and watch video highlights while the game is still going on.
“Our goal is to be on any device a baseball fan carries,” MLB Advanced Media VP of Corporate Communications Matthew Gould told me in an interview Wednesday.
The $4.99 pricing, however, is only guaranteed to get you MLB content for the rest of this season. The app may be season specific according to comments by Macworld, though it appears these details have not yet been established.

Article Link

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
$4.99 a season doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing next year it will be like $9.99 because this season is half way over. $9.99 sounds like too much.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I could've sworn they said it would be free.

I can get a million free scoring apps, or just go to mlb.com for free.

I'll pass on this one...

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
hell yes, 3G could handle those video streams right? I watch the Office streamed from the NBC website on edge regularly so I would expect the same (especially from a native app)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
But do those other apps have video highlights before the game is even over? I think that's really what you are paying for.

That's really the difference maker here. Are nearly instant video highlights worth it? I think so, but for most people they would rather just see the score. In this case, I think MLB should release a "Scoreboard" only app for those you don't want to pay $4.99.

$4.99 a season doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing next year it will be like $9.99 because this season is half way over. $9.99 sounds like too much.

In the article, Macworld compares the $4.99 price tag with MLB’s Team Alerts product which costs $3.99 per month.

I really think this $4.99 price and the rest of the season will be a trial run for MLB. I can't see them issuing a price per month system simply because you would be forced to download a new version of the app every month.

Any price upwards of $9.99 is far too much considering games cost roughly that much.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I just hope the NFL follows suit! I can't wait to watch my Ravens kick ass (or more likely get their asses kicked :()

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
For me $4.99 for a season of almost real-time highlights sounds reasonable and I'd probably do it for that. If it gets much higher, I'd have to think about it some more.

If the price increase came next season, it would depend on how much the app blew me away. If it turns out to be a killer app and I'm using it everywhere, then they'd have me hooked b/c of the lower $4.99 buy in.

radiogod69

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Minnesota
I will sign up for this if $4.99 will be a one time price or maybe even if it will be $9.99 but I will not pay $4.99/$9.99 per year for a mobile phone app!

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Man, if the NHL did this, my head would explode. How awesome would that be!

The NHL has its head too far up its butt. They're going to figure out a way to do Foxtrax again or whatever it was. I just don't trust the upper leadership.

I would not be surprised to see the CBC or TSN do it, but that would probably strand non-Canadians. (like me)

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
$5 for half of a season is a good deal and $10 is a good price for a full season. It would be nice if they offered something where you could get highlights and everything for only your team or a select few at a cheaper price like .99 each. For what you get, those prices seem just right.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Great idea and a great price. Verizon charges like 12 bucks a month for mlb highlights vCast ********.

I hate the people bitching about 5 bucks.....nothing in life is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.