PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4, need an external DVD burner! What to get?

gusanitoverde
Jun 19, 2008, 01:04 AM
Hi guys. I just got my wife a $300 ibook 1 Ghz. It only comes with a CD writer. I need a DVD writer to attach to the laptop to install Leopard and iLife, which I only have in DVD.

I went to Best Buy and they want to sell me the external superdrive made for the MacBook Air. I am sure that elegant drive is not even compatible with anything else than the MB air. Right?

Then I need advice in the following:

1. Which External drive can I purchase?

2. If I was to purchase an internal Superdrive, is it easy to install without using soldering equipment and play electronic technician?

3. I have a macbook pro 17" 2.33 Core duo. Can my wife's iBook "borrow somehow my MacBook's DVD drive to install Leopard and iLife and how do I exactly do this?

Thanks.

cyclingplatypus
Jun 19, 2008, 08:10 AM
The MBA drive won't work with anything but the Air due to the power requirements, also I would think that a 1GHz iBook might possibly be USB 1.0.

1. Which External drive can I purchase?
Pretty much any, I've used a sony external drive and a LiteOn drive in an external enclosure, with 10.4 the pretty much made it plug and play. The Sony one that I use now is that previous model of the one with the chrome front, older boxes don't say specifically that it is Mac compatible but it is.

2. If I was to purchase an internal Superdrive, is it easy to install without using soldering equipment and play electronic technician?
Check out iFixIt.com (http://www.ifixit.com/)

3. I have a macbook pro 17" 2.33 Core duo. Can my wife's iBook "borrow somehow my MacBook's DVD drive to install Leopard and iLife and how do I exactly do this?
No, it is specific to the MBP and won't let you do it and it is against the user agreement.

Darth.Titan
Jun 19, 2008, 08:39 AM
No, it is specific to the MBP and won't let you do it and it is against the user agreement.

That's not what the OP asked. He doesn't want to borrow the OS install DVD, but the MB Pro's DVD drive to install the OS on his iBook. That should actually be possible with Apple's Remote Disc. Haven't used it myself, and while it was intended for use with the Macbook Air it can be used with other Macs.
More info here (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1131).

Wotan31
Jun 19, 2008, 09:10 AM
If you go with an external drive, make sure you get one with firewire interface and not usb. I don't think that iBook can boot from USB. I know it can boot from Firewire as I used to have one.

cyclingplatypus
Jun 19, 2008, 09:44 AM
That's not what the OP asked. He doesn't want to borrow the OS install DVD, but the MB Pro's DVD drive to install the OS on his iBook. That should actually be possible with Apple's Remote Disc. Haven't used it myself, and while it was intended for use with the Macbook Air it can be used with other Macs.
More info here (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1131).

You are correct and I read that question wrong... :o

In that case you could boot via firewire in target disk mode and install that way.

gusanitoverde
Jun 19, 2008, 10:59 AM
I think for now, i will just borrow my MB pro's DVD.
So let me figure this out. I do the target disk mode. In which mac is the firewire symbol in the screen supposed to be? (i am assuming the ibook).

Then, how do I re-install the OS doing formatting to the HD?

Do i just put the disk in my MB pro?

How would it know that it is to install in the ibook and won;t wipe out my MB pro's HD?

Thanks.:o

gusanitoverde
Jun 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
I forgot to mention that i have an Airport Extreme Network at home. Does that help at all in connecting both machines??