PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need Leopard Server?

ironjaw
Jun 19, 2008, 07:20 AM
I've just installed Debian Linux on a pc that I use to run as a NAS. (I tried FreeNas but somehow it did not work - did not mount properly with the accurate user permissions)

I use the Linux machine as NAS and it automounts a AFP share on two macs that I have which I have called Documents

I want to be able to log on with my username on both of my macs and have my desktop, mail, documents available.

Do I need to buy Leopard Server and a Mac to do this or can I do something in Debian Linux?

ChrisA
Jun 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
I use the Linux machine as NAS and it automounts a AFP share on two macs that I have which I have called Documents

I want to be able to log on with my username on both of my macs and have my desktop, mail, documents available.

Do I need to buy Leopard Server and a Mac to do this or can I do something in Debian Linux?

Leopard Server will come with software to alow this but your Linux system likely already has this same software. There are quite a few ways to make this work. If you can mount up user home directories to both Macs you are 80% or more of the way there. No. You don't need a Mac OS X Server.