Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
allright this is my problem, I have a qps m3 100gb external FW hard drive. The problem is whenever I try and access certain folders os x crashes COMPLETELY im talking about everything I cant even force quit the finder. it seems to be when i try and access folders that are deep in the hard drive 4 layers or so. meaning i open 4 folders to get to this one folder and access it(im using column view). The stats of the HD are its 100gb copacity 94gb in actuallity. it has 17 gb left of free space. This is VERY annoying b/c everytime it happens i have to restart!!!!!!!!!!!! Im thinking that the hd is geting full or something but this shouldnt happen. When I am trying to access the folder the circle process icon in the lower right hand corner of the window just keeps turning. Also when this crash accurs and I try and click a file menu(apple menu,File etc) the finder crashes, meaning I get the "Ball of Death"

Matt1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
New to OS X

Everyone that says OS X sucks or whatever is wrong. I've been using Macs since Mac OS 6 and I find 10 to be the best! The Unix base system is extremely cool! The Dock, its awesome I like how you can open 4 or 5 applications at a time. I run a server so for me to be able to open the client and the server software with 2 clicks taking about 1 secon is awesome! I like the feel of OS X meaning that the mouse is FINALLY FAST, i set mine to the fastest setting. I also like the multi-tasking feature, meaning when you are in your web browser and you have the scroll bar clicked and held clicked the other processes in the background dont STOP. I also like the boot time. My OS 10.3 takes about 6 seconds to boot up, and thats on a G3 300mhz(OLD MACHINE). When running os 9 it took around 13-15. I think the ONLY feature OS X does need is the ability to disable extensions and startup items. Yes, theres still extensions I had to delete some ATI Radeon video card extensions that were conflicting with my ATI 128 video card(this was causing OS X to crash everytime it started up). So OS X is great you just have to get used to it. I have been using it for about 3 weeks and know pretty much everything theres is to know about it, on the Finder side. I am going to learn the Unix side. Don't be simple minded like PC Users! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.