Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080619/apple_itunes.html?.v=1

Apple says iTunes has sold more than 5 billion songs

CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) -- Apple Inc. said Thursday people have bought more than 5 billion songs from its iTunes online music store.
In addition, Apple said, iTunes customers are now renting or buying more than 50,000 movies daily.

Apple said that based on data from market researcher NPD Group the iTunes store is the largest music retailer in the U.S. based on the amount of music sold during January and February 2008.

More than 8 million songs are available on iTunes, as well as more than 20,000 TV episodes and more than 2,000 movies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has Sold Over 5 Billion Songs on iTunes

Apple announced today that they had sold over 5 billion songs on iTunes. According to data from the NPD, iTunes remains the number one music retailer in the US and features the largest music catalog with over eight million songs.

Apple also reveals that customers are buying and renting over 50,000 movies every day making iTunes the most popular online movie store as well. iTunes now houses over 20,000 TV episodes and over 2,000 films including over 350 in high definition.

Apple first reported it had become the number one music retailer in the U.S. in April.

Article Link

felixkunze

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
West Sussex, UK
well done iTunes!

50,000 movies a day. It seems like a big number but if you calculate the revenue and how many people it has to get distributed to, its not all that much. But when you consider that its 50,000 straight out of the door (and beating any other competitor in this regard); there is huge growth potential here.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
That is a crazy amount of songs. Does this count the free songs as well?

I have been renting films off there recently and it is quite a nice service, although we only get 48 hours to watch them again which is too short. I'd prefer it if we got to keep it for longer.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
So if this is true, then why did Steve drop the AppleTV line of business from his WWDC keynote?!?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they've come a long way in the short five years since it started. job well done apple. itunes plus just sweetens the deal, now only if 'itunes plus' just became 'itunes'

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
but how many of those 2,000 movies are available for :apple:TV rental? I'm disappointed three-fourths of the time or more when i look for a movie there, and i'm not seeking obscure titles. I also looked at some tv show listings last night on my :apple:TV and most were available only as full-season purchases. Five billion songs notwithstanding, there's a long way to go with the videos.

MacMalv

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
England
So if this is true, then why did Steve drop the AppleTV line of business from his WWDC keynote?!?

because it was a developer conference. therefor not much on any of their consumer stuff. the iPhone was in there because they were focusing on the 2.0 update and how it worked for developers.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
I wonder what Amazon's numbers look like. I usually go there now because they are DRM free, but will still buy from ITMS if it's a DRM free plus track.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Very nice! I have been pretty happy with rentals lately, don't have too much time to rent movies so dropped my blockbuster subscription. For the few rentals I have wanted to watch I have used iTunes and it has worked great.

paddykev

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
uk
Congrats :apple:
I'm happy that the UK store finally has movies to rent and buy and looking forward to the iTunes App Store :cool:

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Does "most popular online movie store" mean more popular than Netflix (who delivers DVD's) or other download-based movie stores (like Amazon Unbox)?

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

Good Question! Guess it still is considered a hobby! Man there's so much that the Apple TV could offer! Like a built in Tuner and of course better deals from the movie companies themselves. One can hope! ;)

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'm shocked at the number of movie rentals per day they are seeing. That is really good. Way to go iTunes group.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yay. At least now I'm sure my DRM music won't go unsupported anytime soon .... *cough* MSN Music...

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002

My guess would be that it's because AppleTV is not a platform developers can work on. and WWDC is targeted at developers. I could be wrong.

On another topic, as others have pointed out, the percentage of movie available for renting is relatively low. This is especially true for new releases, even more so outside of the US. I would have loved my AppleTV to replace my video store but so far very few new releases are available as rentals. That being said, it's probably not Apple's fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.