Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I've always been on my parents policy with AAA, but now, my brother just got his license and has to be on that policy. Which means the premium for all cars on the policy, mine included, are going up. A lot. It seems ridiculous to pay for him to be insured on my car, because he won't ever be driving it (and can't drive it since he doesn't know how to drive a manual, not that I'd let him near it if he could :D) Ditto for my parents who don't do manual either, my premium is a bit higher because of them, but nothing significant, so I've just let it go. But, of course, my bro, being 17, mine's jumping up.

So, it seems like the only solution is for me to get my own policy. I thought I'd just stay with AAA, but the rate they quoted me, on my own, was outrageous. I did online quotes with Progressive, Geico, State Farm and AIG. State Farm and AIG's quotes were significantly more, so they're out. Progressive was a little more than what I pay now at AAA without my brother, but for much more coverage. Geico was less than what I pay now, with the same coverage as Progressive (and thus, more coverage than AAA now). But they're both within about 100 bucks of each other for every 6 months, with AAA right there in the middle. Obviously, I've narrowed it down to Progressive and Geico. The natural choice here would be the cheapest, Geico, but if they're not as good as Progressive, then I have no issues with paying a bit more for better service and whatnot.

And should I even be scared off by the fact that they're both cheaper than AAA (on my own policy), State Farm and AIG? You get what you pay for? Or do those other companies just rip you off?

So any advice on which to choose would be much appreciated. Thanks

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I've always been on my parents policy with AAA, but now, my brother just got his license and has to be on that policy. Which means the premium for all cars on the policy, mine included, are going up. A lot. It seems ridiculous to pay for him to be insured on my car, because he won't ever be driving it (and can't drive it since he doesn't know how to drive a manual, not that I'd let him near it if he could :D) Ditto for my parents who don't do manual either, my premium is a bit higher because of them, but nothing significant, so I've just let it go. But, of course, my bro, being 17, mine's jumping up.

So, it seems like the only solution is for me to get my own policy. I thought I'd just stay with AAA, but the rate they quoted me, on my own, was outrageous. I did online quotes with Progressive, Geico, State Farm and AIG. State Farm and AIG's quotes were significantly more, so they're out. Progressive was a little more than what I pay now at AAA without my brother, but for much more coverage. Geico was less than what I pay now, with the same coverage as Progressive (and thus, more coverage than AAA now). But they're both within about 100 bucks of each other for every 6 months, with AAA right there in the middle. Obviously, I've narrowed it down to Progressive and Geico. The natural choice here would be the cheapest, Geico, but if they're not as good as Progressive, then I have no issues with paying a bit more for better service and whatnot.

And should I even be scared off by the fact that they're both cheaper than AAA (on my own policy), State Farm and AIG? You get what you pay for? Or do those other companies just rip you off?

So any advice on which to choose would be much appreciated. Thanks

GEICO. Good prices, excellent service, reliable and fast. Backed by Warren Buffett. If you have a new vehicle they have terrific "mechanical breakdown" insurance, for about $30/year, that covers ALL mechanical repairs with a $250 deductible. Also, their Emergency Road Service is pennies and very reliable. Claims are fast.

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
If you or one of your parents was in the military, you may be eligible for USAA. They have amazing service and rates. They do banking, loans, insurance, and more... it's a great one stop shop. For banking, you can deposit checks online using a scanner. But I have great coverage for auto and renter insurance. Of course, if you don't meet their eligibility guidelines (https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=become_member_eligibility), then you can't join.

The Doctor

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Chestnut Ridge, NY
i have been using esurance for awhile now and it's been great... the service has been as good as any other company i've ever been with, but for me at least the price was way cheaper... and it was really easy to get.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'd also look at the corporate vehicle insurance policy.

You might be able to drop you vehicle down by quite a bit.

We live in AZ, and a beater was costing $100/month for liability.

Added a new car for the exact same rate on a business policy with full coverage, and moved the beater into the business policy and cut the rate in half.

About $550-600/yr. more than the old family policy for adding a new car to the house and increasing the insurance benefits.

Sort of odd to be insuring two vehicles here for about the state average, which is almost in the top 5 in the US.

--

If the vehicle is paid off, it is quite easy to start an LLC and transfer the vehicle into the corporate shell.

Plus here the LLC insulates the driver from photo radar, since they tend not to mail speeding tickets to LLCs.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
GEICO. Good prices, excellent service, reliable and fast. Backed by Warren Buffett. If you have a new vehicle they have terrific "mechanical breakdown" insurance, for about $30/year, that covers ALL mechanical repairs with a $250 deductible. Also, their Emergency Road Service is pennies and very reliable. Claims are fast.

Thanks. I'll consider them. Didn't know they were backed by Buffett either. I've been paying more attention to who companies I give a lot of money make political contributions to, and Buffett seems to be a good choice in that regard ;) That's what I like about Progressive, although I'm a bit bitter towards them, because I interviewed with them for a job in their IT department and they turned me down....oh well, I got a free trip to Cleveland out of it :D Probably a dumb reason to not do business with them, especially since I got a higher paying job elsewhere

If you or one of your parents was in the military, you may be eligible for USAA. They have amazing service and rates. They do banking, loans, insurance, and more... it's a great one stop shop. For banking, you can deposit checks online using a scanner. But I have great coverage for auto and renter insurance. Of course, if you don't meet their eligibility guidelines (https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=become_member_eligibility), then you can't join.
Not eligible for USAA

i have been using esurance for awhile now and it's been great... the service has been as good as any other company i've ever been with, but for me at least the price was way cheaper... and it was really easy to get.
I'll have to check them out.

Hands down: Allstate.

Excellent coverage. Excellent service. Things get done quickly and correctly.
I've been trying for the past day to get a quote on their site, and it tells me their online quote thingy is unavailable. Might have to call them

I'd also look at the corporate vehicle insurance policy.

You might be able to drop you vehicle down by quite a bit.

We live in AZ, and a beater was costing $100/month for liability.

Added a new car for the exact same rate on a business policy with full coverage, and moved the beater into the business policy and cut the rate in half.

About $550-600/yr. more than the old family policy for adding a new car to the house and increasing the insurance benefits.

Sort of odd to be insuring two vehicles here for about the state average, which is almost in the top 5 in the US.

--

If the vehicle is paid off, it is quite easy to start an LLC and transfer the vehicle into the corporate shell.

Plus here the LLC insulates the driver from photo radar, since they tend not to mail speeding tickets to LLCs.
It really sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Plus, my car isn't paid off.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
I also recommend Allstate. My parents have had Allstate for about 10 years now and have had no problems. Also, I don't know if Progressive has changed or not. My Mother had Progressive in the Mid-late 1980's and when she had an accident they raised her rates. When the rate changed back to the lower level they never told her and kept charging the higher level. Maybe they are different now?:apple:

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Nationwide.

And if you move to Idaho I'll be your Agent. :D

I've had Nationwide for the past seven years and have never had a problem. Over those years I've had two claims (one home, one auto) and they were great both times.

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to look at any quotes you receive to help you better understand them.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008

I have USAA, best all around company ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.