Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzzzzzzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Hey guys - I've settled (95%) on buying the MBA. I'm going to wait until early September just in case they do something awesome to the MB/MBP to make me change my mind, but still in time to get the back to school ipod promo (makes sense, right?).

I have a few lingering questions though:

(1) 1.6 vs 1.8: I'm going to get the HDD. From what I've gathered from the posts, since I'll be doing unintensive things, it's unlikely that I'll notice the speed difference, especially enough to justify the $300 or whatever it would cost to upgrade. Is this true?

(2) connecting to a 24" external display: I have a Dell 2407WFP monitor at home to which I current connect my Dell 700m (that i'll be replacing with the MBA). I've read that this might speed up the fan considerably and threaten to overheat the computer. Is it true? Has anoyone had issues (or not) with this type of setup?

(3) suppose a year or 18 months from now, this not-so-futureproofed machine is running unpalatably slowly, and the prices of SSDs have come down quite a bit. It is technically possible to swap in a drive, right?

Any tips you guys might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
This previous question answered 2 of your questions but I'll try for the 3rd:

1) yes, it's probably not worth the $300.

2) I think the extra CPU load by the integrated video chipset would most likely spin up the fans, but i'll let someone who has this specific setup answer.

3) yes, you should be able to replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.