PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro

sapienza9068
Jun 20, 2008, 01:18 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently thinking about whether or not to purchase a macbook pro. I know that the macbook and pro have both been out at while and that Apple usually releases another line of computers every 3 and 1/2 years. That being said, I'm skeptical about whether or not to wait for the newest line of computers or to get the macbook pro this fall. So what do you guys think, when do you estimate that the new line of computers will be available? Also, when will the Apple press conference take place? I can wait until then and will most likely have a better incentive and maybe they will up the specs. Thanks.
:apple:

Digital Skunk
Jun 20, 2008, 01:28 AM
They won't up the specs that much
There won't be an Apple event for it, next one is MacWorld San Francisco
If you need it now, buy it now, if you can wait, then wait.

There won't be a new line of computers, just updated ones with new hardware. The new hardware won't be much of an improvement over the current gen, so either buy now or not.

Andrew Henry
Jun 20, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently thinking about whether or not to purchase a macbook pro. I know that the macbook and pro have both been out at while and that Apple usually releases another line of computers every 3 and 1/2 years. That being said, I'm skeptical about whether or not to wait for the newest line of computers or to get the macbook pro this fall. So what do you guys think, when do you estimate that the new line of computers will be available? Also, when will the Apple press conference take place? I can wait until then and will most likely have a better incentive and maybe they will up the specs. Thanks.
:apple:

I'd say, if you want it, buy it now, you could wait forever on Apple, I like to buy last revision, as they are noticeably cheaper + the increases to the newest revision are negligible.

SchneiderMan
Jun 20, 2008, 01:36 AM
more hd space

and better graphics card, 9m series for sure
the 8m is old now..

faster processor

sapienza9068
Jun 20, 2008, 01:42 AM
The thing is that I'm a gamer. I was looking at the required specs for Mass Effect and it's right at the specs for a maxed out macbook pro. I'm just worried about purchasing a $3000 computer and within a year or two, finding it obsolete and non-upgradable. :apple:

Digital Skunk
Jun 20, 2008, 01:45 AM
The thing is that I'm a gamer. I was looking at the required specs for Mass Effect and it's right at the specs for a maxed out macbook pro. I'm just worried about purchasing a $3000 computer and within a year or two, finding it obsolete and non-upgradable. :apple:

All laptops are non upgradable to an extent, and in a year or two, all computers will be obsolete.

Andrew Henry
Jun 20, 2008, 01:46 AM

That's going to happen no matter what, you buy any laptop and it's going to be obsolete in a few years. The trick to owning Apple products is sell your current machine and use that money to help pay for the newest revision, that way you basically only buy a 600 - 700 laptop each time you upgrade as you're selling your old one towards a new one.

sapienza9068
Jun 20, 2008, 01:48 AM
Okay, and finally... does anyone have an idea as to when snow leopard may be released?

SchneiderMan
Jun 20, 2008, 01:57 AM
next year, macworld

eXan
Jun 20, 2008, 02:00 AM
Okay, and finally... does anyone have an idea as to when snow leopard may be released?

"In about a year".

Knowing Apple, this means WWDC 09

Super Intendo
Jun 20, 2008, 02:51 AM
There won't be a new line of computers, just updated ones with new hardware.

do you mean updated hardware internally or externally? (or both of course)

Digital Skunk
Jun 20, 2008, 09:04 AM
do you mean updated hardware internally or externally? (or both of course)

Yeah, most likely updated internally. The only time I have seen Apple do anything externally with hardware was with the new Intel MBP and Alu iMac and Mac Pro but they were only minor, a port here, a port there, iSight, etc.

Those where the biggest jump in processor speeds for Apple computers. The G4 mobile chip was a snail compared to the Core Duo. It gave us HUGE performance gains. Everything since then has been a minor bump in spec and GFXs. The only improvement you will get is if you wait at least 2 year or more to upgrade, not one cycle.

Going from the SR Merom book to the Penryn isn't an upgrade, going from the Conroe to Penryn or whatever is a noticeable jump. I know the OP doesn't want to buy older tech, but I hope they don't expect the next revision to be WICKED SICK faster than the Penryns.... they just won't.

The most one could hope for is a slightly updated case to fit with the rest of the line (mag latch, no grey border) and the usual progression of chip speed and underclocked GFX cards... there won't be a quad core 3.0GHz in the next model.