Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I just received my 32 gig touch yesterday and already hate the lack of external buttons.

I have a 2nd gen 10 GB ipod I am moving from ('02 model). It still runs like a champ with a new battery. I have muscle memory for the external buttons. Now I am lost. I digress.

So, I do things that really warrant external volume controls and maybe a skip button.

Does anyone anticipate a 30 pin device that can control volume and tracks ?

Can we expect something like this with 2.0 [software] coming up ?

I ask these questions because I have had 0 interest in the iPod touch until recently. I am still trying to get up to speed.

BTW, I am insanely in love with this iPod !!! She has 1 dead pixel near the middle of the screen but I wont hold it against her ;)

iWelcome all thoughts.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
A little bit of research would have shown that there are no external buttons on the iPod touch to control volume. I, like you, am dissapointed in this. If by 2.0, you mean software 2.0, then no this functionality will not be coming. If you mean the 2nd generation of touch, then its possible, and I hope they add it. Controlling volume would be nice to do without the screen.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I just received my 32 gig touch yesterday and already hate the lack of external buttons.

I have a 2nd gen 10 GB ipod I am moving from ('02 model). It still runs like a champ with a new battery. I have muscle memory for the external buttons. Now I am lost. I digress.

So, I do things that really warrant external volume controls and maybe a skip button.

Can we expect something like this with 2.0 [software] coming up ?

I ask these questions because I have had 0 interest in the iPod touch until recently. I am still trying to get up to speed.

BTW, I am insanely in love with this iPod !!! She has 1 dead pixel near the middle of the screen but I wont hold it against her ;)

iWelcome all thoughts.

On my iPod 5G, I have been using the FM Radio Tuner http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA070G/D&aosid=p210&cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Shoppingcom&src=shpg

30 pin connector on one end... Headphone jack at the other... And I'm able to increase volume and advance tracks and turn the unit off... it's kind of like using a 2G Shuffle. I can keep the iPod in my pocket and use the controller. Not sure if it would work on the Touch or the iPhone....

sargent bannana

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
yah i think the new touch screens have been getting dead pixels i just got a touch and i had a dead pixel but oh well it dosent bother me that much but ah it need actual buttons i hate having to take it out of my pocket and to just lower or change song especially i have moist hands so it smudges a lot

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008

ISo, I do things that really warrant external volume controls and maybe a skip button.

iWelcome all thoughts.

You may not be thinking about jailbreaking your touch, but if you ever do, there's an application called "PocketTouch" that allows you to control your music playback blind. Tapping the screen toggles ON/OFF. Swiping up increased the volume; swiping down decreases the volume. Swiping right changes to the next track; swiping left goes to the previous track. There are some optional adjustments that can be made to these motions and their results.

crmccashin

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
As far as volume control goes, I just bought a pair of ear buds that have an in line volume control on them and keep the volume up a bit too high on the Ipod Touch and adjust the level with the ear buds control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.