PDA

View Full Version : good old days

macaddict123k
May 13, 2002, 07:35 PM
does any one, probobly jefhatfield, arn, blakespot, remember when macrumors was first created. how slpooy it was. i have watched it grow and it is amazing how much it has evolved. also why has arn taken so much control, what happened to blakespot and macrumors

arn
May 13, 2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by macaddict123k
does any one, probobly jefhatfield, arn, blakespot, remember when macrumors was first created. how slpooy it was. i have watched it grow and it is amazing how much it has evolved. also why has arn taken so much control, what happened to blakespot and macrumors

"Macrumors" is simply a script... so it never really existed... Blakespot still hangs around and helps out when he can.

otherwise, it's mostly been me otherwise...

And, the site has steadily improved... but I've got a busy schedule outside of macrumors so I can't do everything I would necessatily want... trying to clean it up some more though.

arn

macaddict123k
May 13, 2002, 07:50 PM
evildead, mnkeybsness, kela, john 123, mischief what happened to the good old days. nower days some of the higher posters arent what the old guys used to be

rainman::|:|
May 13, 2002, 07:58 PM
just wondering, why is your signature 14 lines long? you don't find that, perhaps, a bit excessive?

pnw

macaddict123k
May 13, 2002, 08:36 PM
i was looking at an old thread and it was when eyelikeart was just a junior member and he was trying to become a regular member.jeezzz that was alot of posts back

cleo
May 13, 2002, 08:57 PM
evildead, mnkeybsness, kela, john 123, mischief what happened to the good old days. nower days some of the higher posters arent what the old guys used to be

Is the irony totally lost on you? You're complaining about low-quality posts, and yet you're going around tonight repeatedly posting "."??? WTF. I don't like you very much.

Backtothemac
May 13, 2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by cleo

Is the irony totally lost on you? You're complaining about low-quality posts, and yet you're going around tonight repeatedly posting "."??? WTF. I don't like you very much.

Cleo!!!! Was wondering how long it would take for you to get in on this. ;)

Quite frankly I agree. The good old days are still today. The site is growing and everyone here generally posts with intelligence and mature subject matter. All in all, I have been coming here since the site started, but was stuck on a PC, so I did not think it was fair for me to post. Now, though, I am backtothemac :cool: :cool:

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2002, 09:36 PM

Flame War Nostalgia? Sorry, not worth it. The site has totally changed since the days of john 123, etc. Sparkleytone resurrected a thread from way back, all the regulars were there, even Spikey, very educational read. The 'community' at that time was a bunch of MacRumors veterans running roughshod over zealots and even themselves. It was entertaining, great banter, but todays forums have much more depth, and a much greater community. Don't miss it at all.

jefhatfield
May 13, 2002, 10:15 PM
old days...flame wars and rumors and too few members...i was mostly a lurker then in 2000

May 13, 2002, 10:17 PM
I am rather new here, registered in march i think, and been lurking since... late last year? my memory's not too good these days... but i can say that the place has come more alive in the short while i've been here. it seems to continue to get better, as the good posters stay and the bad ones eventually go away... point is, i can't imagine MR being better than it is now.

tho i do miss evildead's posts, they seem to have become less & less frequent... or maybe we just hang out in different threads :)

pnw

jefhatfield
May 13, 2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
I am rather new here, registered in march i think, and been lurking since... late last year? my memory's not too good these days... but i can say that the place has come more alive in the short while i've been here. it seems to continue to get better, as the good posters stay and the bad ones eventually go away... point is, i can't imagine MR being better than it is now.

tho i do miss evildead's posts, they seem to have become less & less frequent... or maybe we just hang out in different threads :)

pnw

i miss evildead and i used to be scared of his name...seriously...he he

Ensign Paris
May 14, 2002, 03:21 AM
I used to visit and then I came out of the shaddows and became a poster, I can't really remember my first visit :)

Ensign

Beej
May 14, 2002, 04:41 AM
Is the irony totally lost on you? You're complaining about low-quality posts, and yet you're going around tonight repeatedly posting "."??? WTF. I don't like you very much. Cleo, you rule. I think I love you.

J/k, but damn you are funny!

--

Originally posted by Backtothemac
my memory's not too good these days...I don't think he'd be happy to hear you say that! He he he... :D

--

Yeah, there are a lot less flamewars here at MR than there used to be. Kind of a good thing, kind of a less good thing. Flamewars are fun! I guess we all just take it out on each other in pie-wars now. Heh heh...

krossfyter
May 14, 2002, 05:59 AM
yeah evildead is the only cool evil dead kinda guy i know of.:D

Macmaniac
May 14, 2002, 06:49 AM
I can remember the good old days with the funny icons for each subject, and the forums that were in thier infancy. Man times have changed.

Ensign Paris
May 14, 2002, 07:06 AM
I wonder if I were to stop visiting for a year how much it would have changed by the time I came back :)

I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon :)

Ensign

Backtothemac
May 14, 2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Beej

I don't think he'd be happy to hear you say that! He he he... :D

Beej, that was paul that made the comment about mymemory, not me :p

I really do prefer the forums today than they were in their infancy. They were rather infant for a while in both age, and attitude.

But I do agree, flamewars are fun are they not?

Beej
May 14, 2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Beej, that was paul that made the comment about mymemory, not me :p
Heh. Crap. Oops. Sorry.

My memory's going.

Ha. I've already used that joke.

OK, I'll stop now.

We should start a flamewar thread, just so everyone can remember the good old days like they used to be...

cleo
May 14, 2002, 08:58 AM
Cleo, you rule. I think I love you.

J/k, but damn you are funny!

::takes a bow::

In line with the current nostalgia for flamewars, I was trying to provoke that kid last night, but seems as if he got in over his head and ran away. Too bad. :D

Backtothemac
May 14, 2002, 09:12 AM
Heh. Crap. Oops. Sorry.

My memory's going.

Ha. I've already used that joke.

OK, I'll stop now.

We should start a flamewar thread, just so everyone can remember the good old days like they used to be...

LOL, That would be a blast, expecially if Arn would let it stay open. There were a couple last night that were close. They were about quartz extreme. Hemingray, Jeff and I were involved, but it never really went anywhere.

I am sure there will be one after the meeting today in Cuppertino though.
:D

jefhatfield
May 14, 2002, 09:23 AM
i was searching out some more iq goodies on the nett...i is a teacher and me wife makes stadardised tests

did you know andy warhol scored 60 on his iq test?

he has one of the lowest iq scores recorded and still a bona fide genius

marilyn vos savant scored a 218 out of a 220...anything over 200 is still impossible to measure so her smarts over 200 is just speculation

and she does not possess a college degree!

eyelikeart
May 14, 2002, 11:27 AM
i was looking at an old thread and it was when eyelikeart was just a junior member and he was trying to become a regular member.jeezzz that was alot of posts back

damn....I remember that.... :rolleyes:

I didn't really become active here until sometime 9 months after I registered...

but the good old days are now gone....and it's time to look to the future... :D

Mr. Anderson
May 14, 2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i was searching out some more iq goodies on the nett...i is a teacher and me wife makes stadardised tests

did you know andy warhol scored 60 on his iq test?

he has one of the lowest iq scores recorded and still a bona fide genius

marilyn vos savant scored a 218 out of a 220...anything over 200 is still impossible to measure so her smarts over 200 is just speculation

Whoa, where did this come from? Did the thread just turn into a stream of consciousness.....

jefhatfield
May 14, 2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Whoa, where did this come from? Did the thread just turn into a stream of consciousness.....

oops..he he

it was supposed to be a new thread here:p

May 14, 2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

yeah, warhol's a genius 'cause he can pee on a canvas.

hehe

Marilyn does kick ass, i miss getting the Parade 'cause i love reading her column. Very clever woman... and there are so few of those...

*hides* well you wanted a flame war!

:)
pnw

cleo
May 14, 2002, 02:35 PM
I'm not going to bite, because I tend to agree with you, believe it or not. It's not that women are not capable of being clever, witty, well-read, etc... I think our culture has just bled the ability out of them. Women who are too busy looking fo a man don't have time to develop themselves. I'm quite convinced that married women and lesbians are by far the most cultured (in a good way) in our society, because they have the ability to pursure things that aren't typically seen as "sexy." Whereas in other times, intelligence and education were seen as desirable qualities in women, thus giving women an incentive to acheive them, the broader culture today tells women that if they are too smart, too in-control, too unconcerned with their looks, too "ambitious," etc, they will never be happy because they will never find a mate. While we all know this is ************ (who wants a stupid wife?), it is still the message that young women receive. Hence, too few high-quality women out there. :D

arn
May 14, 2002, 02:41 PM
I'm not going to bite, because I tend to agree with you, believe it or not. It's not that women are not capable of being clever, witty, well-read, etc... I think our culture has just bled the ability out of them.

This isn't necessarily related... but I had a friend who had a theory/belief... he thought women weren't as funny as men in general...

the reason, he though, is that guys try to be funny their entire lives to try to woo women... while women don't necessarily have to do the same.

anyway... a thought.

arn

eyelikeart
May 14, 2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by arn
This isn't necessarily related... but I had a friend who had a theory/belief... he thought women weren't as funny as men in general...

the reason, he though, is that guys try to be funny their entire lives to try to woo women... while women don't necessarily have to do the same.

that doesn't surprise me in the least...in the general scheme of things...men are always trying to "woo" women with whatever....cars...money...b.s....

basically...it seems that the smart women are the ones who fall for the cr@p....which would make them seem to have less of a sense of humor...

just my .02... :cool:

Taft
May 15, 2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
my memory's not too good these days... but i can say that the place has come more alive in the short while i've been here.

Hey now, leave mymemory out of this!! :D j/k

I'd say that if I would have found this site way back in the day, I might not have joined the forums. It was a pretty brutal from the looks of some threads; resembling a yahoo chat room more than a rumor site forum.

When people get flamed constantly and a battle erupts after every comment made, a lot of nice people with good ideas turn away. I like MacRumors now. Its a very friendly community with a lot of very cool people hanging in the forums.

macaddict123k, you're starting to sound like my grandparents. "Back in my day, we didn't have no fancy computers! We had to write our school papers with our own blood on leaves. You ran out of blood??? Too bad, you fail. Thats how it was...and we liked it!"

Taft

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Taft
When people get flamed constantly and a battle erupts after every comment made, a lot of nice people with good ideas turn away. I like MacRumors now. Its a very friendly community with a lot of very cool people hanging in the forums.

macaddict123k, you're starting to sound like my grandparents. "Back in my day, we didn't have no fancy computers! We had to write our school papers with our own blood on leaves. You ran out of blood??? Too bad, you fail. Thats how it was...and we liked it!"

When I first started using computers, we only had 0s, no 1s!

Can't remember where that quotes from, but I like it.

Flame wars are intimidating, and a waste of energy. Lively discussion and open mindedness are much better suited to the forums today and I'm not thinking it should go back to the 'old days'. Like I said before 'Flame War Nostalgia' isn't all its cracked up to be. There is no way you be able to have almost 5000 members.