PDA

View Full Version : Can Movies Be Located on External HD?

legaleye3000
Jun 20, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'm looking to keep my music on my computer, but can I keep my movies on my external hard drive and have it still show up in iTunes?

Right now, if I copy into iTunes, it will copy into the consolidated iTunes folder located on the computer. I just want it to stay on the external hard drive.

Thanks.

upsguy27
Jun 20, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm looking to keep my music on my computer, but can I keep my movies on my external hard drive and have it still show up in iTunes?

Right now, if I copy into iTunes, it will copy into the consolidated iTunes folder located on the computer. I just want it to stay on the external hard drive.

Thanks.

Yes, you can do this. I have my movies stored on my external HD. All you have to do is go into iTunes, then Preferences, and turn off the option that says Copy Music to Itunes Folder, or something like that. It's right above the option to Organize your iTunes Library. Then just drag the Movies from the external HD into iTunes, and they will show up, but they won't have copied over, they will still be on the external HD, but they will show up in iTunes. You can then turn the option back on if you want to for music.

upsguy27
Jun 20, 2008, 04:21 PM
Okay, I found the setting, it's in Advanced in the iTunes preferences, the second checkbox under iTunes Music folder location. It says Copy files to the iTunes music folder when adding to library. Just uncheck that, and drag your movies onto the iTunes window, and then recheck it if you want to copy music to your computer when you add it.

legaleye3000
Jun 20, 2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks! I knew about this, but I wish there was a more customized way to do it. Like just an option for music or movies.

Mernak
Jun 20, 2008, 06:20 PM
I think just holding Option while dragging a movie into iTunes is easier, it overrides the preference in iTunes for that just that time.