Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSerino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
So I have my Macbook pro with it's 200 gb hard drive, which shows up with a ~185 gb capacity. This is normal, with the ~15gb for whatever hard drives require that extra space for.

So, my friend just got her 2.4ghz/160 gb white mac book today. I am setting it all up for her and I am seeing something odd. The hard drive has a 160gb hard drive, when I look under "About this Mac" and then "Serial-ata" it shows its formatted capacity at ~149 gb, which is normal. However, here is the problem...When I check info on the Mac hard drive, it is only showing Capacity at 111 gb, same thing in iStat pro.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue before? The comp has a 160gb hard drive, the formatted space is 149 gb, however, the capacity is only 111 gb. Now this this not the AVAILABLE, that is showing at around 90 gb, this is the potential capacity of the drive, and it is only 111 gb.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
That's definitely not normal. My 160 Gb drive which has a formatted capacity of 149 Gb had around 138 Gb available when I first turned on my MacBook.

Was the machine new out of the box? Refurbished? Second hand purchase?

It sounds to me like there is another partition on the drive which is taking up that space. Does the computer have Windows on it by chance? Also, are you sure the hard drive is supposed to be 160 Gb and not 120 Gb? The capacity numbers you quoted work out pretty close for a drive size of 120 Gb.

Regards.

SSerino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
That's definitely not normal. My 160 Gb drive which has a formatted capacity of 149 Gb had around 138 Gb available when I first turned on my MacBook.

It sounds to me like there is another partition on the drive which is taking up that space. Does the computer have Windows on it by chance? Also, are you sure the hard drive is supposed to be 160 Gb and not 120 Gb? The capacity numbers you quoted work out pretty close for a drive size of 120 Gb.

Regards.

Definitely not partitioned in any way at all, no windows nothing. We opened the box together and it was like that. It definitely is the 160gb, but it seems like it is formatted for a 120gb.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
if u didnt do anything to it yet put in the dvd and boot from it and well try to erase it and whatnots cause mine had a bad partiton that i could not see until i checked in disk utility and had to re format my whole macbook (it had a kernal attack while partitoning with bootcamp)

ps sorry for my bad spelling and grammar

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Definitely not partitioned in any way at all, no windows nothing. We opened the box together and it was like that. It definitely is the 160gb, but it seems like it is formatted for a 120gb.

I "think" what your friend wound up with is a 120 Gb drive instead of the 160 Gb that should have shipped with the machine. In any event, take it back to the Apple store and have them swap it out for another machine. There's no way I would keep the machine or try to trouble shoot it. Let Apple sort it out.

Regards.

SSerino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
ICH8-M AHCI

Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00

Capacity 149.05 gb

So it is the right drive, but its formatted weird.

My friend is gonna bring it back in and either get a new one of have them figure it out.

SSerino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
How many partitions does Disk Utility see on the drive?

It shows a 149.1 gb hitachi hts... showing total capacity of 149.1 gb
Also shows the Mac HD with only 111.5gb or space

And Matshita DVD-r

Cave Man

macrumors 604
It shows a 149.1 gb hitachi hts... showing total capacity of 149.1 gb
Also shows the Mac HD with only 111.5gb or space

OK, I think we're making some progress. The drive is the top line in Disk Utility. Below this and indented should be the volume(s). How many volumes are there and what is the capacity of each? Can you post a screen shot of Disk Utility?

SSerino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
OK, I think we're making some progress. The drive is the top line in Disk Utility. Below this and indented should be the volume(s). How many volumes are there and what is the capacity of each? Can you post a screen shot of Disk Utility?

There are no other volumes. It is just those three I listed. It is so odd. ~30 gb's are just gone.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
just erase and reformat the damn thing and if it doesnt work reinstall leopard and take it back, but thats me usually when i do things its really fast which is kinda bad espically when upgrading an emac :D

Cave Man

macrumors 604
There are no other volumes. It is just those three I listed. It is so odd. ~30 gb's are just gone.

Can you post a screen shot as I have here? Importantly, click on the drive (not the volumes) and then the Partition tab before taking the screen shot. Crop it down in Preview, please.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 222

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Can you post a screen shot as I have here? Importantly, click on the drive (not the volumes) and then the Partition tab before taking the screen shot. Crop it down in Preview, please.

i use photoshop :D oh and im pretty sure he/she said it was there friends so they might not be at him/hers house to do it

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
So I have my Macbook pro with it's 200 gb hard drive, which shows up with a ~185 gb capacity. This is normal, with the ~15gb for whatever hard drives require that extra space for.

So, my friend just got her 2.4ghz/160 gb white mac book today. I am setting it all up for her and I am seeing something odd. The hard drive has a 160gb hard drive, when I look under "About this Mac" and then "Serial-ata" it shows its formatted capacity at ~149 gb, which is normal. However, here is the problem...When I check info on the Mac hard drive, it is only showing Capacity at 111 gb, same thing in iStat pro.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue before? The comp has a 160gb hard drive, the formatted space is 149 gb, however, the capacity is only 111 gb. Now this this not the AVAILABLE, that is showing at around 90 gb, this is the potential capacity of the drive, and it is only 111 gb.

Firstly, is it a macbook or a macbook pro? If it is just a macbook, most are shipped with a 120gb hard drive. (unless customized differently) ALWAYS, a 120gb hard disk will show up as 111gb. Don't know why. Check to make sure that the disk is a 160. if it is, us should get about 145gb of disk space.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Firstly, is it a macbook or a macbook pro? If it is just a macbook, most are shipped with a 120gb hard drive. (unless customized differently) ALWAYS, a 120gb hard disk will show up as 111gb. Don't know why. Check to make sure that the disk is a 160. if it is, us should get about 145gb of disk space.

Had you gone through the thread, you'd see that the OP posted the model number of the drive, which is a 160 gig drive.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg

well because they cant exactly get it to 120gb so they just round it to the best looking number since there not going to put on a box 111gb, and i belive the base macbook is shipped with 120 then 160 and to 250 i belive as in price to sizes and whatnots

squashpro

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
q for chscaq

Regards.

hey chscaq -

what version of leopard did you have installed on your computer when you took it out of the box? I just got the 2.4GHz 160 GB macbook and out of box, I have 149 GB formatted capacity and only 130 GBs available. the only reason I can think of that we'd have an 8 GB discrepancy is maybe you had an older version of leopard (mine came with Mac OS X 10.5.2)? let me know otherwise I may need to trade this one in.

anyone else - ideas?

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Can you post a screen shot as I have here? ... Crop it down in Preview, please.
I know this is a little late, as this topic is a couple months old, but I thought this tip could be of use.

When doing screen grabs in OSX, there are a few ways to do it. The first is the full screen grab. To do this, click "Command-Shift-3". You will get a full grab of the entire screen, with dock and menu bar.

Next is the selective area grab. This is done with "Command-Shift-4". It will bring up some cross hairs, and you can select the precise area you want. Saves time from taking a full screen grab and cropping it down. You can now do it all in one step.

The last, and one I use most often, which would have worked great in this situation, is the select window grab. You do this one just like the last one by clicking "Command-Shift-4". But now, instead of selecting an area of the screen, hit the space bar. The cross hairs will change to a camera. And, when you move the cursor over different windows, it highlights them. Then, when you click, it takes a grab of that window, and that window only. And as a bonus, OSX even adds a nice little drop shadow.

Like I said, I know this topic is a bit old, and what not. But, I just wanted to put that info out there, hoping people might get some use out of it.

(Here's a quick shot to show what I mean)

picture1te5.png

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

Regards.

Same here and I just got mine last week~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.